inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: why did so many tv channels go downhill around 2007??

Written By: sonic2005 on 07/24/15 at 10:43 pm

seriously once 2007 hit a lot of the tv channels (Especially the cartoon channels) just went downhill in quality you had a few exceptions like (mad men) etc... but overall the late 00s was a pretty dark era for television.

Subject: Re: why did so many tv channels go downhill around 2007??

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/25/15 at 9:06 am

I honestly don't know. In 2007, I was still enjoying Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon. I stopped watching PBS Kids that year because that was when there was no Sagwa The Chinese Siamese Cat, no Between The Lions, no Clifford, etc. At least they still kept Billy and Mandy, Fosters and Codename: KND for a couple of years. So I kinda enjoyed the late 2000s.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/25/15 at 9:10 am

I also enjoyed watching Chowder, Flapjack, Total Drama Island and Class of 3000 when it aired on Cartoon Network.

Written By: Howard on 07/25/15 at 2:09 pm

Cause people started losing interest in television.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/25/15 at 2:55 pm

Cause people started losing interest in television.

Well, online-subscription services like Netflix or Hulu wasn't that popular until the early 2010s.

Written By: Howard on 07/26/15 at 1:33 pm

Well, online-subscription services like Netflix or Hulu wasn't that popular until the early 2010s.

My Father likes Netflix.

Written By: Shemp97 on 07/27/15 at 3:19 pm

Teletoon, YTV and Nicktoons started goung down hill in new productions and an over reliance on adobe flash and bone animation, with only a few execptions like el tigre and three delivery. Luckily the mid 00s saw an explosion in amazing, quality television that outnumbered production in later years, so, in general most programming on these networka was still good because they were either reruns or early to mid 00s productions still running at the time like Avatar: tlab.

In terms of non-cartoon television (which I watched more of since 07 since I transitioned to teenagehood), that faired better with good shows like Supernatural, Lost, Breaking bad and Harper's island. Not as good as ealier years, but certainly not "dark" unless you're talking about the dramas in literal terms.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/27/15 at 4:55 pm

I think this is very subjective. A lot of people have their own reasons for when TV started going downhill. It depends on which channels or genres you're referring to. When you started watching it most importantly, your best memories from the channel, and when your favorite shows started leaving the channel for mediocre ones, or if you have an analysis on why you think the channel abandoned itself for what it was originally created for. Here's the most common cutoffs for when TV or certain channels for that matter went downhill. 9/11, 2004, 2006, or 2007 like in this thread.

Now some people tend to say after 9/11 because they think that a lot of channels stop taking risks and turned for the worse, reality TV started taking over networks like MTV for example. However, some channels like Food Network, didn't really start having too many reality shows until the late 2000's. I remember back in the day when G4 used to just focus on video games or game shows before they took a turn for the worse later on. I think 9/11 is the most stupidest cutoff and doesn't make any sense to me.

A lot of people think 2004 because their favorite kid channels like Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, or Toon Disney got rid of all of their 90's cartoon reruns or cancelled so many early 2000's shows and took a turn for the worse. Some people say TV went on a huge decline in 2006, and I could come up with so many reasons why a lot of channels started getting bad in 2006, IMO 2006 was the year Kids WB and Disney Channel started going downhill. While certain primetime shows had ended and blocks like Monday Night Football on ABC came to an end. Then last but not least 2007, but 2007 was just the final nail in the coffin for me.

So all I'm saying is that it's really an opinion, not everybody thinks TV went downhill in 2007, but I'll say one thing, TV has definitely changed over the years. There was another thread in the 90's section that asked if the 90's decade was the last decade of the television event. Like that living room culture with your family/friends of primetime live-action shows on TV on networks like ABC, WB, FOX, UPN, CBS, etc. Whatever but yeah you get the point. Live-action sitcoms, cartoons, sports, anything. It's debatable.

If I had to pick a year cartoons on TV went on a decline, it would definitely be 2004 without a doubt, but for the years there were pretty much no more good cartoons on TV, that would be around 2006ish/early 2007 before all the leftovers were completely gone by 2008. As for live-action sitcoms, if you're talking about the big ones that had cultural impacts like Family Matters, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Friends, Malcolm in the Middle, etc. Any of those primetime TV ones, I honestly think that's subjective. Cause you still had good ones like How I Met Your Mother or Everybody Hates Chris. As for sitcoms on Disney Channel definitely 2006 (which was a transitional year) before all the good ones were gone by 2007.

As for today, TV is different now, and since we're in the digital age, if you miss them on TV, then you have Netflix or Hulu, it seems like the popular live-action shows on TV these days are based off DC/Marvel like Gotham, The Flash, Arrow, Marvel Agents of Shield, or Scifi/Horror shows like Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, American Horror Story, etc.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/27/15 at 5:23 pm

If anybody really is wondering on what I think TV channels (especially the cartoon ones) went downhill, that will be around 2009 to 2011. I could say 2009 because that was when Toon Disney and Nickelodeon started to go down the sheeshter, and that they ruined both of their channels to me with Nickelodeon's godawful logo change, and Toon Disney's rebrand. 2010 was when it seem to get worse, because not only they ended Chowder and Flapjack, they also rebranded Cartoon Network in a way that Stuart Snyder fudgeed it up. 2011 was when they hit the final nail in the coffin to me, when they fudgeed up HBO with Game Of Thrones. I mean, after the show premiered, it was fudgeing everywhere. And it's just a Lord of the Rings fanfiction while George R.R. Martin has a money bath whenever his new installment of the book series gets released on book stores nationwide. I can say that Cartoon Network is finally getting better because We Bare Bears premieres today at 6:30, along with their new PPG reboot coming out in 2016, but I wouldn't get excited that much.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/27/15 at 6:02 pm

If anybody really is wondering on what I think TV channels (especially the cartoon ones) went downhill, that will be around 2009 to 2011. I could say 2009 because that was when Toon Disney and Nickelodeon started to go down the sheeshter, and that they ruined both of their channels to me with Nickelodeon's godawful logo change, and Toon Disney's rebrand. 2010 was when it seem to get worse, because not only they ended Chowder and Flapjack, they also rebranded Cartoon Network in a way that Stuart Snyder fudgeed it up. 2011 was when they hit the final nail in the coffin to me, when they fudgeed up HBO with Game Of Thrones. I mean, after the show premiered, it was fudgeing everywhere. And it's just a Lord of the Rings fanfiction while George R.R. Martin has a money bath whenever his new installment of the book series gets released on book stores nationwide. I can say that Cartoon Network is finally getting better because We Bare Bears premieres today at 6:30, along with their new PPG reboot coming out in 2016, but I wouldn't get excited that much.

Age plays a MAJOR factor in your opinion! Honestly  Nick went downhill for me and people my age in 2004 when teen nick was introduced! Cartoon Netowrk wasn't the same for me as well when the city era began although that was good until 06! Disney channel for me started to suck in 2006 when HSM and Hannah Montana premiered. But you were still pretty young during those periods, so I can see why that 2009-2011 period was the turning point for you!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/27/15 at 6:04 pm

I honestly don't know. In 2007, I was still enjoying Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon. I stopped watching PBS Kids that year because that was when there was no Sagwa The Chinese Siamese Cat, no Between The Lions, no Clifford, etc. At least they still kept Billy and Mandy, Fosters and Codename: KND for a couple of years. So I kinda enjoyed the late 2000s.

You were still pretty DAMN young in the late 00s so I can see why you enjoyed the late 00s kid stuff! :)

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 07/27/15 at 6:14 pm

I think this is very subjective. A lot of people have their own reasons for when TV started going downhill. It depends on which channels or genres you're referring to. When you started watching it most importantly, your best memories from the channel, and when your favorite shows started leaving the channel for mediocre ones, or if you have an analysis on why you think the channel abandoned itself for what it was originally created for. Here's the most common cutoffs for when TV or certain channels for that matter went downhill. 9/11, 2004, 2006, or 2007 like in this thread.

Now some people tend to say after 9/11 because they think that a lot of channels stop taking risks and turned for the worse, reality TV started taking over networks like MTV for example. However, some channels like Food Network, didn't really start having too many reality shows until the late 2000's. I remember back in the day when G4 used to just focus on video games or game shows before they took a turn for the worse later on. I think 9/11 is the most stupidest cutoff and doesn't make any sense to me.

A lot of people think 2004 because their favorite kid channels like Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, or Toon Disney got rid of all of their 90's cartoon reruns or cancelled so many early 2000's shows and took a turn for the worse. Some people say TV went on a huge decline in 2006, and I could come up with so many reasons why a lot of channels started getting bad in 2006, IMO 2006 was the year Kids WB and Disney Channel started going downhill. While certain primetime shows had ended and blocks like Monday Night Football on ABC came to an end. Then last but not least 2007, but 2007 was just the final nail in the coffin for me.

So all I'm saying is that it's really an opinion, not everybody thinks TV went downhill in 2007, but I'll say one thing, TV has definitely changed over the years. There was another thread in the 90's section that asked if the 90's decade was the last decade of the television event. Like that living room culture with your family/friends of primetime live-action shows on TV on networks like ABC, WB, FOX, UPN, CBS, etc. Whatever but yeah you get the point. Live-action sitcoms, cartoons, sports, anything. It's debatable.

If I had to pick a year cartoons on TV went on a decline, it would definitely be 2004 without a doubt, but for the years there were pretty much no more good cartoons on TV, that would be around 2006ish/early 2007 before all the leftovers were completely gone by 2008. As for live-action sitcoms, if you're talking about the big ones that had cultural impacts like Family Matters, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Friends, Malcolm in the Middle, etc. Any of those primetime TV ones, I honestly think that's subjective. Cause you still had good ones like How I Met Your Mother or Everybody Hates Chris. As for sitcoms on Disney Channel definitely 2006 (which was a transitional year) before all the good ones were gone by 2007.

As for today, TV is different now, and since we're in the digital age, if you miss them on TV, then you have Netflix or Hulu, it seems like the popular live-action shows on TV these days are based off DC/Marvel like Gotham, The Flash, Arrow, Marvel Agents of Shield, or Scifi/Horror shows like Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, American Horror Story, etc.

Yeah I agree with this! As someone who's an expert at kids channels I would say 2004 was the turning point year. For me Nickelodeon & Cartoon Network started to go downhill in this year.

For Nick it was because they cancelled all of their late 90's/early 00's shows like Hey Arnold & Rocket Power, they got rid of their 90's reruns of shows like Rocko's Modern Life & Doug, they rebranded SNICK & it became TEENICK (which wasn't as good). So yeah Nick's lineup was starting to get sparse around this time.

Same with CN, they cancelled alot of their shows, they put all of the reruns on Boomerang, they rebranded Toonami and only put it on Saturdays (though the shows were still good), and they changed the checkboard logo to a more modernish CN logo.

So yeah 2004 was bitter sweet in many ways but I still watched these networks regularly till about 2006 or so. Around then I felt the networks were really starting to get bad. Heck for most of 5th grade (06-07) I only watched CN for Toonami & Nick for the tween shows like Drake and Josh, Ned Declassified, & Zoey 101.

Besides that I didn't really care for the cartoons at the time with the exception of Avatar the Last Airbender and Camp Lazlo.

Sigh...

Written By: bchris02 on 07/27/15 at 6:23 pm

The writers strike of 2007-08 really hurt a lot of shows and some never recovered.  As a result, there was a notable shift in TV around that time.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/27/15 at 6:36 pm

You were still pretty DAMN young in the late 00s so I can see why you enjoyed the late 00s kid stuff! :)

Well yeah. Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon still had the logos that I loved until 2009/2010. But I didn't really watch HBO's original programming until I was 14. Because watching stuff like The Sopranos, The Wire and Six Feet Under at a very young age isn't good for you.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/27/15 at 6:50 pm

Age plays a MAJOR factor in your opinion! Honestly  Nick went downhill for me and people my age in 2004 when teen nick was introduced! Cartoon Netowrk wasn't the same for me as well when the city era began although that was good until 06! Disney channel for me started to suck in 2006 when HSM and Hannah Montana premiered. But you were still pretty young during those periods, so I can see why that 2009-2011 period was the turning point for you!

2006 was the transitional year for Disney Channel. The last year it was watchable for the shows left but at the same time the year it started getting bad. As soon as that year hit. The premiere of Hannah Montana. The premiere of High School Musical, which changed the direction Disney Channel went in. Cheetah Girls was from 2003, even though I wasn't into that movie, even then Disney Channel still managed to stay diverse, after High School Musical premiered Disney Channel no longer did that. Mediocre cartoons like the Replacements premiered which I had no interest in. The final season of That's So Raven. The final season of Lilo & Stitch: The Series. The final season of American Dragon Jake Long. The last few episodes of Phil of the Future. Season 2 of Suite Life of Zack & Cody. The last season of Kim Possible which actually ran through the 1st half of 2007. Reruns of House of Mouse were removed. Reruns of Proud Family, Dave the Barbarian, and Brandy & Mr. Whiskers were put into some midnight time-slots when people could hardly catch those. Reruns of Sister Sister, Lizzie McGuire, and Even Stevens were all removed that year as well. All of these changes happened throughout 2006 until the year 2007 hit, and after That's So Raven, Kim Possible, and the rest of the classics went off the air, it was totally dead and Disney Channel was in a new era. New shows like Cory in the House, JONAS, or Wizards of Waverly Place would come on the scene and by then the network was totally dead to me. IMHO the ONLY decent Disney Channel shows left from that point on were Phineas & Ferb and Suite Life on Deck (even though I never liked "On Deck" I still give it some credit). But either way, those two shows weren't enough to save the network from the rest of its horrendous programming. I don't even know what the heck is on Disney Channel today, haven't known what's been on there since the late 2000's.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/27/15 at 6:54 pm

2006 was the transitional year for Disney Channel. The last year it was watchable for the shows left but at the same time the year it started getting bad. As soon as that year hit. The premiere of Hannah Montana. The premiere of High School Musical, which changed the direction Disney Channel went in. Cheetah Girls was from 2003, even though I wasn't into that movie, even then Disney Channel still managed to stay diverse, after High School Musical premiered Disney Channel no longer did that. Mediocre cartoons like the Replacements premiered which I had no interest in. The final season of That's So Raven. The final season of Lilo & Stitch: The Series. The final season of American Dragon Jake Long. The last few episodes of Phil of the Future. Season 2 of Suite Life of Zack & Cody. The last season of Kim Possible which actually ran through the 1st half of 2007. Reruns of House of Mouse were removed. Reruns of Proud Family, Dave the Barbarian, and Brandy & Mr. Whiskers were put into some midnight time-slots when people could hardly catch those. Reruns of Sister Sister, Lizzie McGuire, and Even Stevens were all removed that year as well. All of these changes happened throughout 2006 until the year 2007 hit, and after That's So Raven, Kim Possible, and the rest of the classics went off the air, it was totally dead and Disney Channel was in a new era. New shows like Cory in the House, JONAS, or Wizards of Waverly Place would come on the scene and by then the network was totally dead to me. IMHO the ONLY decent Disney Channel shows left from that point on were Phineas & Ferb and Suite Life on Deck (even though I never liked "On Deck" I still give it some credit). But either way, those two shows weren't enough to save the network from the rest of its horrendous programming. I don't even know what the heck is on Disney Channel today, haven't known what's been on there since the late 2000's.

They just ended Phineas and Ferb with that last summer episode, Jonas probably ended a long time ago, Wizards of Waverly Place ended around early 2012 and I honestly don't care about their other sheesh. I wasn't a big fan of Disney's sitcoms back then.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/27/15 at 7:04 pm

Yeah I agree with this! As someone who's an expert at kids channels I would say 2004 was the turning point year. For me Nickelodeon & Cartoon Network started to go downhill in this year.

For Nick it was because they cancelled all of their late 90's/early 00's shows like Hey Arnold & Rocket Power, they got rid of their 90's reruns of shows like Rocko's Modern Life & Doug, they rebranded SNICK & it became TEENICK (which wasn't as good). So yeah Nick's lineup was starting to get sparse around this time.

Same with CN, they cancelled alot of their shows, they put all of the reruns on Boomerang, they rebranded Toonami and only put it on Saturdays (though the shows were still good), and they changed the checkboard logo to a more modernish CN logo.

So yeah 2004 was bitter sweet in many ways but I still watched these networks regularly till about 2006 or so. Around then I felt the networks were really starting to get bad. Heck for most of 5th grade (06-07) I only watched CN for Toonami & Nick for the tween shows like Drake and Josh, Ned Declassified, & Zoey 101.

Besides that I didn't really care for the cartoons at the time with the exception of Avatar the Last Airbender and Camp Lazlo.

Sigh...

That 5th grade school year was bleh :P you're right. As for Nickelodeon yeah at least you still had Drake & Josh, Ned Declassified, Zoey 101, Danny Phantom (although it was about to end), and Avatar: the Last Airbender. At the time even then most of the Spongebob and Fairly Odd Parents were old ones but that was around the time those started getting played more. The Nicktoons went on a huge decline. Not sure about the rest though but you can tell me that ;D

Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, Ed, Edd n Eddy, Camp Lazlo, Ben 10, and Codename: KND were the only shows left by then that I liked. Cartoon Cartoon Show/Top 5 if I didn't forget to watch it when it came on once a week but I'd forget A LOT lol. As for Toonami, after Teen Titans and Justice League Unlimited ended that's when I lost interest in the block. I could never get into Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's, Naruto, or that Fantastic Four show during that school year, speaking of that school year, that was around the time TOM 4 debuted 8-P

Kids WB also died for me around that time as well, but that was actually earlier in 2006 I believe. After Jackie Chan Adventures, Xiaolin Showdown, and Mucha Lucha left the block, I stopped watching it completely. I could never get into Loonatics Unleased, Scooby & Shaggy Get A Clue, Johnny Test, or some of those cheap Cookie Jar shows. When the WB switched to the CW, here in the Atlanta, GA area Kids WB was moved to Sunday mornings on CW and I had to go to church those days. There was no way I could watch it anymore but the lineup of shows never interested me by then anyways. As a result the block was cancelled in 2008.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/27/15 at 7:15 pm

I have that covered. The shows are Jessie, Dog with a Blog, Liv & Maddie, Girl meets World, and Austin & Ally. Unfortunately, there are no cartoons on that channel. As of right now, 2 of them are supposed to end this year. I've checked the schedule a few times and it's awful. There's no diversity. I feel like even the kids of today don't watch the channel. Hell, I have watched them and they are horrible.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/27/15 at 7:16 pm

That 5th grade school year was bleh :P you're right. As for Nickelodeon yeah at least you still had Drake & Josh, Ned Declassified, Zoey 101, Danny Phantom (although it was about to end), and Avatar: the Last Airbender. At the time even then most of the Spongebob and Fairly Odd Parents were old ones but that was around the time those started getting played more. The Nicktoons went on a huge decline. Not sure about the rest though but you can tell me that ;D

I thought you stopped watching Nickelodeon after they ended Avatar. Which puts in a lot of crap for you to be informed about in 2008. Like of how Poof was a new character on FOP and that people think Spongebob is going down the sheeshter even more.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/27/15 at 7:18 pm

I have that covered. The shows are Jessie, Dog with a Blog, Liv & Maddie, Girl meets World, and Austin & Ally. Unfortunately, there are no cartoons on that channel. As of right now, 2 of them are supposed to end this year. I've checked the schedule a few times and it's awful. There's no diversity. I feel like even the kids of today don't watch the channel. Hell, I have watched them and they are horrible.

I bet that kids today wouldn't really watch it that much. Instead, they would usually watch Nickelodeon (due to Spongebob and FOP still being around) and Cartoon Network (due to shows like Regular Show, Adventure Time and We Bare Bears making kids, teens and adults laugh).

Written By: mqg96 on 07/27/15 at 7:22 pm

I thought you stopped watching Nickelodeon after they ended Avatar. Which puts in a lot of crap for you to be informed about in 2008. Like of how Poof was a new character on FOP and that people think Spongebob is going down the sheeshter even more.

I did stop after Avatar: The Last Airbender ended in 2008, like I said the mid-2000's Nickelodeon sitcoms started ending around 2007ish I think. However, I was talking about how the nicktoons were declining around the time though, not when I stopped watching Nickelodeon altogether.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/27/15 at 7:42 pm

I bet that kids today wouldn't really watch it that much. Instead, they would usually watch Nickelodeon (due to Spongebob and FOP still being around) and Cartoon Network (due to shows like Regular Show, Adventure Time and We Bare Bears making kids, teens and adults laugh).
I see them definitely watching CN, but Nickelodeon I don't think so. Right now, that channel is doing terrible. They need to add more variety and much better cartoons as well as the live action shows. I've seen S&C and Breadwinners and they are not doing well as I thought. In addition, the sitcoms such RND&D, Max Shred, and Henry Danger are mediocre (The Thundermans is the only one I feel that's doing well).

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/27/15 at 7:56 pm

I see them definitely watching CN, but Nickelodeon I don't think so. Right now, that channel is doing terrible. They need to add more variety and much better cartoons as well as the live action shows. I've seen S&C and Breadwinners and they are not doing well as I thought. In addition, the sitcoms such RND&D, Max Shred, and Henry Danger are mediocre (The Thundermans is the only one I feel that's doing well).

I can see why Sanjay & Craig and Breadwinners not doing well, since their ratings are really low. Their sitcoms, I can get that they suck obviously, since nobody would ever watch them. Even the Thundermans just suck so much, that I wish they were cancelled.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 07/27/15 at 8:08 pm

I can see why Sanjay & Craig and Breadwinners not doing well, since their ratings are really low. Their sitcoms, I can get that they suck obviously, since nobody would ever watch them. Even the Thundermans just suck so much, that I wish they were cancelled.

Honestly the reason why Nick has been on a never ending decline for the last decade is because they are trying to be like Disney Channel. I mean If you objectively look at their scheduling in the 90's & early 00's, Nick's main priorities were their Nicktoons. I saw this as a kid, they would show you the new Nicktoons like As Told By Ginger & Invader Zim, & reruns of the old ones like Doug & Angry Beavers, heck even shows like Rugrats & Hey Arnold ran well into the 00's as well.

However around 2005/6 as Disney Channel was getting good ratings from shows like Zack & Cody and Hannah Montana, Nickelodeon felt threatened, so they started to compete with Disney. This resulted with some good sitcoms like Drake & Josh & Ned Declassified, decent ones like Zoey 101 & iCarly, & plain bad ones like True Jackson VP & Victorious (though I will admit this show was a guilty pleasure of mine because of Victoria Justice ;)).

Since the mid-late 00's, especially with the ending of Avatar, Nickelodeon has been more worried about the tween market and live action shows. This is evidence by the countless reruns of Spongebob & FOP and also why new Nicktoons like Breadwinners & Sanjay and Crag usually do not do well

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/27/15 at 8:23 pm

Honestly the reason why Nick has been on a never ending decline for the last decade is because they are trying to be like Disney Channel. I mean If you objectively look at their scheduling in the 90's & early 00's, Nick's main priorities were their Nicktoons. I saw this as a kid, they would show you the new Nicktoons like As Told By Ginger & Invader Zim, & reruns of the old ones like Doug & Angry Beavers, heck even shows like Rugrats & Hey Arnold ran well into the 00's as well.

However around 2005/6 as Disney Channel was getting good ratings from shows like Zack & Cody and Hannah Montana, Nickelodeon felt threatened, so they started to compete with Disney. This resulted with some good sitcoms like Drake & Josh & Ned Declassified, decent ones like Zoey 101 & iCarly, & plain bad ones like True Jackson VP & Victorious (though I will admit this show was a guilty pleasure of mine because of Victoria Justice ;)).

Since the mid-late 00's, especially with the ending of Avatar, Nickelodeon has been more worried about the tween market and live action shows. This is evidence by the countless reruns of Spongebob & FOP and also why new Nicktoons like Breadwinners & Sanjay and Crag usually do not do well

But if they're trying to make more shows for the tween market, then why are Spongebob and FOP still on the air? Nobody really wants to watch them anymore and that they need to move on from them.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/27/15 at 9:09 pm

Yeah. That's why Nickelodeon needs a serious overhaul. If they don't, they may lose the rest of their audience and might become defunct. I hope one day they rise again and make great quality and decent cartoons and live-action shows. That will put them back on track.

I wonder what made them go the Disney way? Both channels were actually fantastic and had their own fan base. Now, neither one of them is doing well. Ever since they competed against each other, they haven't been able to produce good quality shows aside from some. They really are in need of a overhaul. They should look at CN and see how well they are doing. That might make them think they need to do a better job as a kids network and produce their own shows and cartoons, so that they can stop competing with each other and have their own fan base again.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/27/15 at 9:10 pm

Yeah. That's why Nickelodeon needs a serious overhaul. If they don't, they may lose the rest of their audience and might become defunct. I hope one day they rise again and make great quality and decent cartoons and live-action shows. That will put them back on track.

Yeah, but I'm not sure if Nickelodeon's top executives would agree on getting a serious overhaul. I mean, they just care about the money. Which is why they keep airing countless reruns of Spongebob and FOP over and over again to get lots of money from their merchandise and DVDs. Unless you try to negotiate with them, it's not going to work.

Written By: Shemp97 on 07/28/15 at 11:09 am

Mediocre cartoons like the Replacements

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/list/000/920/571/15d.gif
Someone's gettin' too old for kids programming.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/28/15 at 12:42 pm

Yeah, but I'm not sure if Nickelodeon's top executives would agree on getting a serious overhaul. I mean, they just care about the money. Which is why they keep airing countless reruns of Spongebob and FOP over and over again to get lots of money from their merchandise and DVDs. Unless you try to negotiate with them, it's not going to work.
Well, they really need one. It may be about the money; however, the executives may have forgot that the network had a large fan base that watched everything that was on. With the corporation keep using those tactics, they will lose the the rest of their fans and the channel might disappear altogether. That's why Nickelodeon needs to bring new ideas to the plate and begin a revival age like CN did a few years ago. Along with that, they also need to bring back the diversity and then, Nickelodeon will be once what it was again. I'm hoping they change within the next few years from now.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/28/15 at 4:30 pm

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/list/000/920/571/15d.gif
Someone's gettin' too old for kids programming.

Well, he said that he barely watched Disney Channel in the late 2000s, so he's not that much of a manchild. Even though I don't really know what his favorite show is.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/28/15 at 6:26 pm

Well, he said that he barely watched Disney Channel in the late 2000s, so he's not that much of a manchild. Even though I don't really know what his favorite show is.

My favorite Disney Channel show of all time was That's So Raven, I was in 1st grade when that show first premiered and I loved all of seasons 1-3, I didn't like season 4 that much though. I never cared for the spinoff Cory in the House. Phil of the Future, Even Stevens, and Suite Life of Zack & Cody (seasons 1-2) were some of my other favorites as well. As for my favorite cartoons of Disney Channel, I don't know which one I could pick. The Proud Family was the best African American cartoon of this day & age, that show had so many great pop culture references and it was hilarious. Kim Possible and American Dragon Jake Long were some of my other favorites as well. Dave the Barbarian was CRAZY as hell. 2002-2005 was the peak of Disney Channel for me. Suite Life on Deck (even though I never cared for it) and Phineas & Ferb (I actually watched many episodes of the 1st couple of seasons and loved it) were the ONLY good shows left made from Disney Channel after 2005. 2006 was the transitional year for Disney Channel when the great shows were finishing off and the bad shows started coming up. 2007 up to now it's totally dead af to me.

Written By: Zelek on 07/28/15 at 6:42 pm

As I've mentioned before—and I know younger 00s kids (very late 90s, early 00s borns) will disagree with me here—I feel like Cartoon Network started going downhill around 2004-2005, then just completely died in 2006.

First off, they lost very good shows like "Gundam Wing", "Samurai Jack", "Sailor Moon", "Dexter's Lab", and "Courage the Cowardly Dog" and replaced them with total and utter **** like "Puffy ami-yumi", "Squirrel Boy", "My Gym Partner Is a Monkey", and "Camp Lazlo".

Second, the original "Cartoon Cartoon Fridays" we all know and love was replaced by the live-action "Fridays". It started off ok, but by 2006, had degraded into annoying antics. They tried to save themselves by hiring popular bands such as Bowling for Soup, Jonas Brothers, and Cartel...and some not-so-popular bands such as Los Lonely Boys.

Third, Adult Swim also slipped. From 2001-2004, they were a genuine slice of heaven, coolness, and intrigue, but since 2005 they have done nothing but overplay reruns of Family Guy (a show that used to be funny, but is now an abomination).

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/28/15 at 7:19 pm

As I've mentioned before—and I know younger 00s kids (very late 90s, early 00s borns) will disagree with me here—I feel like Cartoon Network started going downhill around 2004-2005, then just completely died in 2006.

First off, they lost very good shows like "Gundam Wing", "Samurai Jack", "Sailor Moon", "Dexter's Lab", and "Courage the Cowardly Dog" and replaced them with total and utter **** like "Puffy ami-yumi", "Squirrel Boy", "My Gym Partner Is a Monkey", and "Camp Lazlo".

Second, the original "Cartoon Cartoon Fridays" we all know and love was replaced by the live-action "Fridays". It started off ok, but by 2006, had degraded into annoying antics. They tried to save themselves by hiring popular bands such as Bowling for Soup, Jonas Brothers, and Cartel...and some not-so-popular bands such as Los Lonely Boys.

Third, Adult Swim also slipped. From 2001-2004, they were a genuine slice of heaven, coolness, and intrigue, but since 2005 they have done nothing but overplay reruns of Family Guy (a show that used to be funny, but is now an abomination).

I respect your opinion and I was born in December 1999.

Written By: Howard on 07/29/15 at 1:36 pm

Cause a newer generation came about.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 07/29/15 at 6:37 pm

My favorite Disney Channel show of all time was That's So Raven, I was in 1st grade when that show first premiered and I loved all of seasons 1-3, I didn't like season 4 that much though. I never cared for the spinoff Cory in the House. Phil of the Future, Even Stevens, and Suite Life of Zack & Cody (seasons 1-2) were some of my other favorites as well. As for my favorite cartoons of Disney Channel, I don't know which one I could pick. The Proud Family was the best African American cartoon of this day & age, that show had so many great pop culture references and it was hilarious. Kim Possible and American Dragon Jake Long were some of my other favorites as well. Dave the Barbarian was CRAZY as hell. 2002-2005 was the peak of Disney Channel for me. Suite Life on Deck (even though I never cared for it) and Phineas & Ferb (I actually watched many episodes of the 1st couple of seasons and loved it) were the ONLY good shows left made from Disney Channel after 2005. 2006 was the transitional year for Disney Channel when the great shows were finishing off and the bad shows started coming up. 2007 up to now it's totally dead af to me.

Yeah Disney Channel was at its best between 1997-2005. Basically the Zoog Era of 1997-2002 and the early modern Disney Channel Era of 2003-2005. Since 2006 the channel has fell off big time.

One thing I noticed thought is that the decline of channels like Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network were more gradual.

Many people believe Nick started to decline the minute Spongebob first aired, not because it was a bad show, but it was too successful for its own good. By 2004/5 Nickelodeon has been high on Spongebob and its been like that ever since. Because of this the channel is too afraid of trying new ideas, and usually those ideas only last a couple seasons (for instance think of most of the Nicktoons that premiered since 2005 and notice how a lot of them usually only last for a season or two unlike in the past when Nicktoons usually last more than 3 seasons).

The same could be said with CN, they started to decline when in 2004 they basically took anything made before 1997 off their network and put it on Boomerang. Thus only embracing new cartoons, and for a network that had historically embraced both old and new this pissed off many fans.

However, Disney Channel IMO never actually declined in the same way the other networks did, they just changed overnight. Like right when 2006 came, Hannah Montana & High School Musical premiered and this was what some might argue when Disney Channel died.

But I would like to hear some of your opinions and if you guys noticed what I observed over the years

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/29/15 at 6:59 pm

Yeah Disney Channel was at its best between 1997-2005. Basically the Zoog Era of 1997-2002 and the early modern Disney Channel Era of 2003-2005. Since 2006 the channel has fell off big time.

One thing I noticed thought is that the decline of channels like Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network were more gradual.

Many people believe Nick started to decline the minute Spongebob first aired, not because it was a bad show, but it was too successful for its own good. By 2004/5 Nickelodeon has been high on Spongebob and its been like that ever since. Because of this the channel is too afraid of trying new ideas, and usually those ideas only last a couple seasons (for instance think of most of the Nicktoons that premiered since 2005 and notice how a lot of them usually only last for a season or two unlike in the past when Nicktoons usually last more than 3 seasons).

The same could be said with CN, they started to decline when in 2004 they basically took anything made before 1997 off their network and put it on Boomerang. Thus only embracing new cartoons, and for a network that had historically embraced both old and new this pissed off many fans.

However, Disney Channel IMO never actually declined in the same way the other networks did, they just changed overnight. Like right when 2006 came, Hannah Montana & High School Musical premiered and this was what some might argue when Disney Channel died.

But I would like to hear some of your opinions and if you guys noticed what I observed over the years

Yeah, I think my opinions on Cartoon Network, Disney Channel and Nickelodeon are different than you guys. For one, I actually think that those channels sucked since 2009 to the early 2010s, since CN and Nick changed their logos from that era. Secondly, I really enjoyed most of their stuff from the mid and late 2000s. Hell, even Chowder was one of my favorite Cartoon Network shows. I enjoyed watching every new episode whenever it's on.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/29/15 at 7:32 pm

Cause a newer generation came about.

I hope they try to make better shows for the next generation.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/29/15 at 8:51 pm

True, it seemed like it changed overnight, however, I wouldn't say Disney Channel died right away as soon as 2006 hit, like I said in my previous comment 2006-early 2007 was the transitional period for Disney Channel when it went downhill really fast, because even though Hannah Montana came in 2006, even throughout that year you still had the last season of That's So Raven, the last season of Phil of the Future, season 2 of Suite Life of Zack & Cody, the last season of Kim Possible, the last season of Lilo & Stitch, and the last season of American Dragon Jake Long, also reruns of Lizzie McGuire, Even Stevens, and Proud Family were removed that year as well. It's just that 2006 was just very transitional, and by mid/late 2007 the Miley Cyrus/JONAS/Selena Gomez era was in full effect and all of the classics like That's So Raven, Phil of the Future, and all the rest of the cartoons were completely off the air. So 2006-early 2007 was the downfall of Disney Channel, mid/late 2007 was the official death.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 07/29/15 at 9:52 pm

True, it seemed like it changed overnight, however, I wouldn't say Disney Channel died right away as soon as 2006 hit, like I said in my previous comment 2006-early 2007 was the transitional period for Disney Channel when it went downhill really fast, because even though Hannah Montana came in 2006, even throughout that year you still had the last season of That's So Raven, the last season of Phil of the Future, season 2 of Suite Life of Zack & Cody, the last season of Kim Possible, the last season of Lilo & Stitch, and the last season of American Dragon Jake Long, also reruns of Lizzie McGuire, Even Stevens, and Proud Family were removed that year as well. It's just that 2006 was just very transitional, and by mid/late 2007 the Miley Cyrus/JONAS/Selena Gomez era was in full effect and all of the classics like That's So Raven, Phil of the Future, and all the rest of the cartoons were completely off the air. So 2006-early 2007 was the downfall of Disney Channel, mid/late 2007 was the official death.

True! The transition was much faster than Nickeoldeon & CN. Here's how I see it:

Nickelodeon: 1999-2004 Slight Decline but still good; 2004-2006 decline starts to become unbearable; 2006-2007 dies off

Cartoon Network: 2004-2006 Slight Decline but still good; 2006-2007 decline starts to become unbearable; 2007-2008 dies off

Disney Channel: 2006-2007 full force decline; 2007-2008 dies off

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/30/15 at 10:56 am

True! The transition was much faster than Nickeoldeon & CN. Here's how I see it:

Nickelodeon: 1999-2004 Slight Decline but still good; 2004-2006 decline starts to become unbearable; 2006-2007 dies off

Cartoon Network: 2004-2006 Slight Decline but still good; 2006-2007 decline starts to become unbearable; 2007-2008 dies off

Disney Channel: 2006-2007 full force decline; 2007-2008 dies off

Well, at least you still had Avatar until 2008. :D

Written By: Howard on 07/30/15 at 1:37 pm

I hope they try to make better shows for the next generation.

better shows that the newer generation could understand.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/30/15 at 1:41 pm

better shows that the newer generation could understand.

Well, today's kids could understand cartoons from their generation, as most cartoons nowadays are targeted to children.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/30/15 at 3:23 pm

Yeah, I think my opinions on Cartoon Network, Disney Channel and Nickelodeon are different than you guys. For one, I actually think that those channels sucked since 2009 to the early 2010s, since CN and Nick changed their logos from that era. Secondly, I really enjoyed most of their stuff from the mid and late 2000s. Hell, even Chowder was one of my favorite Cartoon Network shows. I enjoyed watching every new episode whenever it's on.

Yes you're younger than we are! ;)  Of course you're views will be different!!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/30/15 at 3:24 pm

Well, at least you still had Avatar until 2008. :D

that DOES NOT count!!! ;D ;D 

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/30/15 at 3:37 pm

that DOES NOT count!!! ;D ;D

:( Why? Didn't most people enjoyed Avatar when it was on?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/30/15 at 3:40 pm

Avatar was a great series, but NICK's glory days were LONG gone!!!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/30/15 at 3:46 pm

So, the only time that Nickelodeon was great by your memories, was the early and mid 2000s?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/30/15 at 3:53 pm

So, the only time that Nickelodeon was great by your memories, was the early and mid 2000s?

By my memories of Nick yes, 1998/99-2003/04 ish! Looking back on some the kids networks of the mid 00s; Nick was just decent in the mid 00s, Cartoon Network was still good, just not as good as before. Disney Channel was still great though! Kids WB was even still the bomb! Jetix was only good for it's time! ABC Kids and Fox Box sucked during these years though! ;D ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/30/15 at 3:56 pm

By my memories of Nick yes, 1998/99-2003/04 ish! Looking back on some the kids networks of the mid 00s; Nick was just decent in the mid 00s, Cartoon Network was still good, just not as good as before. Disney Channel was still great though! Kids WB was even still the bomb! Jetix was only good for it's time! ABC Kids and Fox Box sucked during these years though! ;D ;D

:-\\ So? What did you watch during the late 2000s?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/30/15 at 4:10 pm

:-\\ So? What did you watch during the late 2000s?

The only kids networks I watched in the late 00s were CN for Total Drama Island and Jetix for Batman and Superman reruns from my early childhood! Late 00s were a WEAK time for TV in my opinion! I watched Heroes, 30 Rock, on NBC; Ugly Betty, Lost, Brothers and Sisters on ABC; Bones, Prison Break, American Idol, Family Guy, on FOX; CSI, Two and a Half Men, on CBS. Realtiy Tv on Cable ,Adult Swim, Comdey Central, Spike TV, Nick at Nite, TBS, ESPN etc.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/30/15 at 4:18 pm

The only kids networks I watched in the late 00s were CN for Total Drama Island and Jetix for Batman and Superman reruns from my early childhood! Late 00s were a WEAK time for TV in my opinion! I watched Heroes, 30 Rock, on NBC; Ugly Betty, Lost, Brothers and Sisters on ABC; Bones, Prison Break, American Idol, Family Guy, on FOX; CSI, Two and a Half Men, on CBS. Realtiy Tv on Cable ,Adult Swim, Comdey Central, Spike TV, Nick at Nite, TBS, ESPN etc.

Okay. Nick at Nite and TBS were okay in the late 2000s too.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 07/30/15 at 4:19 pm

Heck even when we were in pre school and elementary Nick was in its Silver Age. The Golden Age ended around 1997. The Silver Age ended around 2004.

1979-1990: Origins

1991-1997: Golden Age/Original Nicktoons Era

1998-2004: Silver Age/Klasky Csupo Era (this was what I grew up with mostly)

2005-2008: Bronze Age/Avatar Era

2009-Present: Dark Ages

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/30/15 at 4:25 pm

Heck even when we were in pre school and elementary Nick was in its Silver Age. The Golden Age ended around 1997. The Silver Age ended around 2004.

I mostly grown up with some of the Klasky Csupo era and most of the Bronze Age from Nickelodeon. After they changed their logo, it wasn't the same for me now.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/30/15 at 7:48 pm

Yes they did. Although nickelodeon was suffering through a decline, Avatar was still awesome. Many people were fans of the show throughout the entire series. I remember when it was first brand new. It was incredible that I watched it until the 3rd season. The reason for is that Avatar wasn't showing new episodes, so I thought it was over. However, the network made the last season and I ended up missing it. The good thing is I have seen some of the episodes and they were brilliant. One of the best shows I've ever seen.

I grew up with the Silver age as well along partly of the golden age. I recall a time on Nickelodeon before Spongebob was even on the schedule and when it was brand new. There were fantasic shows such as K&K, KaBlam, Aah! Real Monsters, Hey Arnold (when it aired new episodes regularly which was before 2000), All That (90s version), Angry Beavers, Wild Thornberrys (when it also aired new episodes regularly which was before 2001), Catdog (It was decent when it aired new episodes regularly), Rocko's Modern Life, AYAOTD, and Figure it out (original version). It was excellent.

This. Although I have to disagree with the Foxbox being awful. It had decent shows. 4KidsTV was the one that was horrible.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/30/15 at 8:44 pm

Yes they did. Although nickelodeon was suffering through a decline, Avatar was still awesome. Many people were fans of the show throughout the entire series. I remember when it was first brand new. It was incredible that I watched it until the 3rd season. The reason for is that Avatar wasn't showing new episodes, so I thought it was over. However, the network made the last season and I ended up missing it. The good thing is I have seen some of the episodes and they were brilliant. One of the best shows I've ever seen.

Have you seen the series finale of Avatar?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/30/15 at 9:52 pm

Have you seen the series finale of Avatar?
Unfortunately No.  :(. I need to though.

Written By: Howard on 07/31/15 at 6:58 am

Nickelodeon's best time is when they had "You Can't Do That On Television".

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/31/15 at 8:13 am

Nickelodeon's best time is when they had "You Can't Do That On Television".

I don't think a lot of people had Nickelodeon when that show aired.

Written By: Shemp97 on 07/31/15 at 10:34 am

He just wasn't interested in the other great shows on at the time. Aging out of the target demographic  really sucks, eh?

Written By: Shemp97 on 07/31/15 at 10:39 am

So no-one remembers El tigre and Three delivery? Those were great late 00s shows with thick plots. The latter had unusually good animation for a flash cartoon.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/31/15 at 10:44 am

So no-one remembers El tigre and Three delivery? Those were great late 00s shows with thick plots. The latter had unusually good animation for a flash cartoon.

I remember El Tigre and it was an awesome show. I loved watching it on Nicktoons around 2008/2009.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/31/15 at 10:45 am

I'll admit El Tigre was pretty underrated and had its great moments, but it only lasted 1 season though, it's part of the reason why Nickelodeon has been making some of the most stupidest decisions the last several years, they have shows with potential but they cancel it so soon and replace it with something much worse. They did it with Invader Zim, they put the rest of the Legend of Korra series online and didn't promote it well, and for those who liked Victorious or Sam & Cat, well, those didn't go as well either. As OcarinaFan96 mentioned, Nickelodeon has been on a severe decline lately because of their piss poor decisions. I honestly don't remember Three Delivery that much though.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/31/15 at 10:46 am

He just wasn't interested in the other great shows on at the time. Aging out of the target demographic  really sucks, eh?

Well, Nickelodeon usually wants to have children watching their shows, since their humor can be understandable to them. Besides, at least you have Nick at Nite.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/31/15 at 11:04 am

1979-1990 was the early age, I'm not so sure on what this age was lol!

1991-1997 was like the golden age for Nickelodeon for all of the sitcoms, all the variety of Nicktoons including reruns of syndicated cartoons, and a perfect blend of game shows for families to enjoy.

1998-2004 was still a golden age for all the Nicktoons including its reruns, you still had shows like Rugrats being around. Nicktoons like Hey Arnold, CatDog, Rocket Power, As Told By the Ginger, Spongebob Squarepants, Fairly Odd Parents, Oh Yeah Cartoons, Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius, etc. would come around this time. Some people liked the Klaspy Kuspo era, some didn't though. But for the sitcoms it was a weak time though. Shows like 2000's All That, Tiana, Cousin Skeeter, or Romeo weren't as good at all as a result were cancelled so soon. At least Ken & Kel reruns were still around. Snick was still around as well. The game shows were still around going hard as well. TeenNick premiered around this time.

2005-2008 was like a Renaissance age for the sitcoms, shows like Drake & Josh, Zoey 101, and Ned's Declassified were really good, and lasted for a while, and even iCarly ended up being successful as well. However, the major bump was the decline for the Nicktoons, at least you had Avatar: the Last Airbender, Jimmy Neutron Boy Genius, and Danny Phantom. But the variety of nicktoons was much less due to the amount of nicktoons that ended throughout 2004. Invader Zim was cancelled around this time as well. When there's been a really good nicktoons with potential, it has been cancelled too soon for mediocre ones, or ones that aren't even original based off a Dreamwork movie (Back in the Barnyard or Penguins of Madagascar) or video games (Tak & the Power of JuJu or Rabbits Invasion). Nickelodeon still suffers this problem today, as a result, it's had to rely on endless reruns of Spongebob Squarepants and Fairly Odd Parents. The removal of Snick block was controversial as well. TeenNick block actually started around early 2001 folks at the same time Snick was still around, but Snick was cancelled in 2004 while TeenNick block would stay until early 2009. I believe this was around the time the game shows went on a decline as well.

2009-present as you stated has been a dark age. iCarly being the only decent show left, but one show isn't going to save the network. This was around the time the sitcoms of Nickelodeon started trying to go on a "Disney Channel" type direction with shows like Victorious or Big Time Rush. Even today Nickelodeon sitcoms have still been too cheesy or unoriginal by a lot of people, as a result some of them have been cancelled so soon. As for the Nicktoons, see above, same problem as today basically. By this time the game shows are pretty much dead now. I'm not so sure on the ratings of the channel for today, but Nickelodeon hasn't improved in a while though. We'll just have to seen then.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/31/15 at 11:57 am

Hey everyone. Here are TV schedules for every year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_United_States_network_television_schedules

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/31/15 at 12:33 pm

1979-1990 was the early age, I'm not so sure on what this age was lol!

1991-1997 was like the golden age for Nickelodeon for all of the sitcoms, all the variety of Nicktoons including reruns of syndicated cartoons, and a perfect blend of game shows for families to enjoy.

1998-2004 was still a golden age for all the Nicktoons including its reruns, you still had shows like Rugrats being around. Nicktoons like Hey Arnold, CatDog, Rocket Power, As Told By the Ginger, Spongebob Squarepants, Fairly Odd Parents, Oh Yeah Cartoons, Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius, etc. would come around this time. Some people liked the Klaspy Kuspo era, some didn't though. But for the sitcoms it was a weak time though. Shows like 2000's All That, Tiana, Cousin Skeeter, or Romeo weren't as good at all as a result were cancelled so soon. At least Ken & Kel reruns were still around. Snick was still around as well. The game shows were still around going hard as well. TeenNick premiered around this time.

2005-2008 was like a Renaissance age for the sitcoms, shows like Drake & Josh, Zoey 101, and Ned's Declassified were really good, and lasted for a while, and even iCarly ended up being successful as well. However, the major bump was the decline for the Nicktoons, at least you had Avatar: the Last Airbender, Jimmy Neutron Boy Genius, and Danny Phantom. But the variety of nicktoons was much less due to the amount of nicktoons that ended throughout 2004. Invader Zim was cancelled around this time as well. When there's been a really good nicktoons with potential, it has been cancelled too soon for mediocre ones, or ones that aren't even original based off a Dreamwork movie (Back in the Barnyard or Penguins of Madagascar) or video games (Tak & the Power of JuJu or Rabbits Invasion). Nickelodeon still suffers this problem today, as a result, it's had to rely on endless reruns of Spongebob Squarepants and Fairly Odd Parents. The removal of Snick block was controversial as well. TeenNick block actually started around early 2001 folks at the same time Snick was still around, but Snick was cancelled in 2004 while TeenNick block would stay until early 2009. I believe this was around the time the game shows went on a decline as well.

2009-present as you stated has been a dark age. iCarly being the only decent show left, but one show isn't going to save the network. This was around the time the sitcoms of Nickelodeon started trying to go on a "Disney Channel" type direction with shows like Victorious or Big Time Rush. Even today Nickelodeon sitcoms have still been too cheesy or unoriginal by a lot of people, as a result some of them have been cancelled so soon. As for the Nicktoons, see above, same problem as today basically. By this time the game shows are pretty much dead now. I'm not so sure on the ratings of the channel for today, but Nickelodeon hasn't improved in a while though. We'll just have to seen then.

I have to agree with you on the current era. All of their shows now are complete rip offs. If they have a sitcom now, it has to be like Drake & Josh, iCarly or anything that Dan Schnieder made on Nickelodeon. If they have a cartoon, it has to be like SpongeBob with the goofy humor and crap. It's so unbearable to watch one of their current shows right now because it has to be made for kids.

I can see how Cartoon Network and Disney XD is doing real good for the audiences, because they actually make great shows that not only has kids watching them, but teens and adults too. I like of how Cartoon Network is doing great with We Bare Bears and the upcoming 2016 Powerpuff Girls reboot. I'm glad of them for doing their best to make interesting shows. Nickelodeon on the other hand just cares about the money, since they think that every child likes to watch countless reruns of SpongeBob and Fairy Oddparents. It's just so depressing to see Nickelodeon nowadays being terrible than ever now. If they aren't doing that well, then it's safe to say that Nickelodeon would probably cease to exist in the near future.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/31/15 at 12:33 pm

Hey everyone. Here are TV schedules for every year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_United_States_network_television_schedules

You can find some nice Kids WB weekday afternoon & Saturday morning schedules over there including many other primetime TV schedules as well.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/31/15 at 12:47 pm

You can find some nice Kids WB weekday afternoon & Saturday morning schedules over there including many other primetime TV schedules as well.
Yep. And I was looking at the Saturday morning cartoon schedules from various years and they were magnificent until sometime in 2005/06. I feel that's when Saturday morning cartoons were declining harshly as the blocks were becoming awful. I'm glad that I was able to watch great cartoons from all of those channels. The one I wish I would have witnessed was the NBC lineup. The channel had good shows as well. Unfortunately, they dropped the children's programming a year before I was born. If I was a few more years older, I definitely would have watched the NBC cartoon lineup.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/31/15 at 12:50 pm

Yep. And I was looking at the Saturday morning cartoon schedules from various years and they were magnificent until sometime in 2005/06. I feel that's when Saturday morning cartoons were declining harshly as the blocks were becoming awful. I'm glad that I was able to watch great cartoons from all of those channels. The one I wish I would have witnessed was the NBC lineup. The channel had good shows as well. Unfortunately, they dropped the children's programming a year before I was born. If I was a few more years older, I definitely would have watched the NBC cartoon lineup.

I stopped watching Saturday morning cartoons altogether once Kids WB moved to CW in 2006, and here in the local Atlanta, GA area when that happened, Kids WB got moved to Sundays, which was pointless because I had church those mornings, however, by 2006 none of Kids WB's programming interested me anymore anyway. Kids WB was still around until 2008 though, even though CW was already around, then it switched to CW4kids.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/31/15 at 1:05 pm

I stopped watching Saturday morning cartoons altogether once Kids WB moved to CW in 2006, and here in the local Atlanta, GA area when that happened, Kids WB got moved to Sundays, which was pointless because I had church those mornings, however, by 2006 none of Kids WB's programming interested me anymore anyway. Kids WB was still around until 2008 though, even though CW was already around, then it switched to CW4kids.
For me, it was sometime in 2003 because I was getting older although the shows were still good. However, the shows that premiered in 2004 and after I know of only because I either had no cable or my younger cousins were watching them.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/31/15 at 1:28 pm

For me, it was sometime in 2003 because I was getting older although the shows were still good. However, the shows that premiered in 2004 and after I know of only because I either had no cable or my younger cousins were watching them.

2001-2004 were my absolute favorite years for Kids WB IMO, those were the best! 2005 was still good but just not as good as the previous years, but it was the last good year of Kids WB for me. I have no memories of Kids WB from 1999 or 2000 though :-\\ and I know those lineups would've been awesome to experience, but at least my 2001-2004 experience was better than nothing, and it couldn't have happened at a better time in my life. 8)

BJPatKkW6Eo p_3YpdRNSdQ

9Y2Vk4SXRpY GWawJPWfH3E

C9AWMqDNYoU 0s-DI3a7xcU

fIIAxoF8jDw kKp34q1GoO4

Written By: Howard on 07/31/15 at 3:36 pm

I don't think a lot of people had Nickelodeon when that show aired.

I had Nickelodeon.

Written By: Howard on 07/31/15 at 3:37 pm

My demographic was back then 18-34 years old.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/31/15 at 3:48 pm

My demographic was back then 18-34 years old.

For Nickelodeon? I thought they usually aired stuff for children. Even in their origins.

Written By: Howard on 07/31/15 at 3:52 pm

For Nickelodeon? I thought they usually aired stuff for children. Even in their origins.

They did on occasions but they had a lot of gross out stuff from YCDTOT like puke, vomit, snot or green slime segments.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/31/15 at 4:20 pm

2001-2004 were my absolute favorite years for Kids WB IMO, those were the best! 2005 was still good but just not as good as the previous years, but it was the last good year of Kids WB for me. I have no memories of Kids WB from 1999 or 2000 though :-\\ and I know those lineups would've been awesome to experience, but at least my 2001-2004 experience was better than nothing, and it couldn't have happened at a better time in my

You don't remember kids WB in 1999 or 2000? That sucks! lol those are my personal favorite years!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/31/15 at 4:22 pm

You don't remember kids WB in 1999 or 2000? That sucks those are my personal favorite years!

Well, mqg96 is a year younger than you, so he wouldn't really remember 1999 that much.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/31/15 at 4:38 pm

You don't remember kids WB in 1999 or 2000? That sucks! lol those are my personal favorite years!

For those who don't know, in order to post a Youtube video on this website, you have to take the URL code of the Youtube link after the equal sign and post it in between the brackets, like this what I have in bold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9g2szHsoz0

URL code

Anyways, I can remember things from 1999 & 2000 when I was 3 & 4 but I had no clue of what pop culture was relevant at the time, I was still so young and still learning basics, plus at the time I was still watching preschool shows regularly and my parents would do things for me. It wasn't until around 2001 when I was 5 when I started getting into the pop culture geared towards kids, 2001 is when I began watching Cartoon Network, Disney Channel, Toon Disney, Kids WB, Nickelodeon, etc. plus 2001 was the first year I started watching movies at the movie theater as well. My memories are crystal clear from 2001 and up. 1998-2000 are all vague ones though and was my early childhood. I still have some clear memories from 1999 & 2000 but I just don't consider it as apart of my core kid years. 2001 is when the peak of my childhood started picking up.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/31/15 at 4:38 pm

Well, mqg96 is a year younger than you, so he wouldn't really remember 1999 that much.

Yeah, it would make sense I guess. I wonder what year he started watching any of the children's programming, or tv period! Cause Fox Kids was the first one I watched when I was really little, then Kids WB, then Nickelodeon and PBS Kids in 1998/1999, Disney Channel in 1999, Cartoon Network in 2000, ABC Saturday morning in 2000, Toon Disney in 2002.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/31/15 at 4:39 pm

For those who don't know, in order to post a Youtube video on this website, you have to take the URL code of the Youtube link after the equal sign and post it in between the brackets, like this what I have in bold.

URL code

Anyways, I can remember things from 1999 & 2000 when I was 3 & 4 but I had no clue of what pop culture was relevant at the time, I was still so young and still learning basics, plus at the time I was still watching preschool shows regularly and my parents would do things for me. It wasn't until around 2001 when I was 5 when I started getting into the pop culture geared towards kids, 2001 is when I began watching Cartoon Network, Disney Channel, Toon Disney, Kids WB, Nickelodeon, etc. plus 2001 was the first year I started watching movies at the movie theater as well. My memories are crystal clear from 2001 and up. 1998-2000 are all vague ones though and was my early childhood. I still have fun memories from 1999 & 2000 but I just don't consider it as apart of my core kid years. 2001 is when the peak of my childhood started picking up.

Yeah that was my bad bro, I deleted too much, lol! XD

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/31/15 at 4:41 pm

URL code

Anyways, I can remember things from 1999 & 2000 when I was 3 & 4 but I had no clue of what pop culture was relevant at the time, I was still so young and still learning basics, plus at the time I was still watching preschool shows regularly and my parents would do things for me. It wasn't until around 2001 when I was 5 when I started getting into the pop culture geared towards kids, 2001 is when I began watching Cartoon Network, Disney Channel, Toon Disney, Kids WB, Nickelodeon, etc. plus 2001 was the first year I started watching movies at the movie theater as well. My memories are crystal clear from 2001 and up. 1998-2000 are all vague ones though and was my early childhood. I still have some clear memories from 1999 & 2000 but I just don't consider it as apart of my core kid years. 2001 is when the peak of my childhood started picking up.

Yeah I don't consider 1998,1999 or even most of 2000 as a core, but those years of watching Kids WB, Nick, Fox Kids, PBS kids, Zoog Disney are still great looking back on in my early childhood!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/31/15 at 4:47 pm

I'm a little off topic here, but Is fall of 2000(5years old)-summer of 2004(8 1/2) my peak childhood or is the fall of 2001 ( 6 years old)- summer of 04 my peak?

Written By: mqg96 on 07/31/15 at 4:48 pm

Yeah, it would make sense I guess. I wonder what year he started watching any of the children's programming, or tv period! Cause Fox Kids was the first one I watched when I was really little, then Kids WB, then Nickelodeon and PBS Kids in 1998/1999, Disney Channel in 1999, Cartoon Network in 2000, ABC Saturday morning in 2000, Toon Disney in 2002.

I started watching Disney Channel in 1999, but then I only watched Playhouse Disney though, the Disney Channel programming itself I didn't start watching regularly until 2001, 2002-2005 were my favorite years. I started watching Cartoon Network regularly in 2001 as well, Spring of that year with my cousins and from that point on I got hooked into the programming, Summer 2001-Spring 2004 was my favorite time for Cartoon Network, but 2002 was my favorite year ever. I watched Nickelodeon a lot more with my cousins, but it's funny that I can remember a bunch of episodes of its shows though, my earliest memories of Nickelodeon was around 2000 or so. Toon Disney I started watching in 2001, obviously 2001-2003 were my favorite years for that, while 2004-2006 were really epic for the Jetix part of it. Kids WB as I already explained I started watching regularly around 2001, and I loved the 2001-2004 years for it, 2005 was still alright, I stopped watching it in 2006. I did watch One Saturday Morning/ABC Kids sometimes but it changed too early on me. I hardly ever touched Fox Kids/FOX BOX once in my life. PBS Kids best years for me were 1998-2003, I have no memories of it from 2004 & after other than my younger siblings or cousins having it on during rare occasions.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 07/31/15 at 5:37 pm

I'm a little off topic here, but Is fall of 2000(5years old)-summer of 2004(8 1/2) my peak childhood or is the fall of 2001 ( 6 years old)- summer of 04 my peak?

I would say the first one. Age 5-8 to me sounds like the peak. Heck even age 9 to an extent. Age 10-11 would be your later childhood years and 3-4 would be your younger childhood years.

Also on the topic of Kids WB, I remember watching it as early as Spring of 1999, when I was 3. I would watch Pokemon, Histeria, & Animaniacs on there. Personally from what I remember, my favorite years of the block were from 1999-2002/3. 2004 was decent though, but 2005 was around when I stopped watching.

The same could be said with ABC One Saturday Morning, 1999-2002 are some of my most cherished memories with the block, but I honestly do not remember watching much of ABC Kids though...

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/31/15 at 6:20 pm

2001-2004 were my absolute favorite years for Kids WB IMO, those were the best! 2005 was still good but just not as good as the previous years, but it was the last good year of Kids WB for me. I have no memories of Kids WB from 1999 or 2000 though :-\\ and I know those lineups would've been awesome to experience, but at least my 2001-2004 experience was better than nothing, and it couldn't have happened at a better time in my life. 8)

BJPatKkW6Eo p_3YpdRNSdQ

9Y2Vk4SXRpY GWawJPWfH3E

C9AWMqDNYoU 0s-DI3a7xcU

fIIAxoF8jDw kKp34q1GoO4
Well I can help you with that. From the 1998 to 2000 timeframe, it was the awesome as well. There were cartoons such as the first 3 seasons of Pokemon, Animanics, Freakazoid, Batman Beyond, Batman/Superman adventures and Men in black. In addition, this is when Kids WB came on weekday mornings as well. It was the golden age for the block along with the 2001-04 era. I'm glad I was able to enjoy it while it was magnificent. It had some original programming along with shows from other stations. I say from the time Kids WB began to 2004, it was truly an incredible time period and it was very diverse.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/31/15 at 6:54 pm

I would say the first one. Age 5-8 to me sounds like the peak. Heck even age 9 to an extent. Age 10-11 would be your later childhood years and 3-4 would be your younger childhood years.

Also on the topic of Kids WB, I remember watching it as early as Spring of 1999, when I was 3. I would watch Pokemon, Histeria, & Animaniacs on there. Personally from what I remember, my favorite years of the block were from 1999-2002/3. 2004 was decent though, but 2005 was around when I stopped watching.

The same could be said with ABC One Saturday Morning, 1999-2002 are some of my most cherished memories with the block, but I honestly do not remember watching much of ABC Kids though...

I guess that makes sense, since the 2000-01 school year was the first school year I was watching ALL of the kids networks since I started watching Cartoon Network and Toonami that school year!!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/31/15 at 7:23 pm

I do. I watch it when it was new and it was decent. I wish it had more seasons, but unfortunately it was canceled right away after a year. That was one of the worst decisions Nickelodeon had made. It probably would have boost Nickelodeon had it stayed longer.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/31/15 at 7:39 pm

I do. I watch it when it was new and it was decent. I wish it had more seasons, but unfortunately it was canceled right away after a year. That was one of the worst decisions Nickelodeon had made. It probably would have boost Nickelodeon had it stayed longer.

Yeah, El Tigre would've been cool if Nickelodeon let it stay longer on the network. They're okay with putting in unoriginal sheesh that no one cares about, but yet they cancelled decent shows that would actually be good. Hell, I would've loved Nickelodeon more if El Tigre was still around for a few more seasons.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/31/15 at 8:01 pm

Yeah, El Tigre would've been cool if Nickelodeon let it stay longer on the network. They're okay with putting in unoriginal sheesh that no one cares about, but yet they cancelled decent shows that would actually be good. Hell, I would've loved Nickelodeon more if El Tigre was still around for a few more seasons.
Yeah, that's not a good idea for them. Nick needs to start making better shows for their network or one day they might exist anymore. As for canceling decent shows, I think that's what made CN go the same route. They also canceled great shows (especially since that Snyder was the CN president at that time).

Yeah I don't consider 1998,1999 or even most of 2000 as a core, but those years of watching Kids WB, Nick, Fox Kids, PBS kids, Zoog Disney are still great looking back on in my early childhood!
Same here. All of those blocks/channels were excellent. Hey, even CBS kids was great until they began airing Nick Jr shows on there in 2000. I remember watching some of the shows on there, but I didn't watch it that much as the others.

-----------------
Here's the years each Saturday morning kids block was truly amazing.

Fox Kids/Box: 1990 to 2004/05

Kids WB: 1995 to 2004

ABC/One Saturday Morning: great until 2003

CBS Kids: great until 2000

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/31/15 at 8:21 pm

Yeah, that's not a good idea for them. Nick needs to start making better shows for their network or one day they might exist anymore. As for canceling decent shows, I think that's what made CN go the same route. They also canceled great shows (especially since that Snyder was the CN president at that time).
Same here. All of those blocks/channels were excellent. Hey, even CBS kids was great until they began airing Nick Jr shows on there in 2000. I remember watching some of the shows on there, but I didn't watch it that much as the others.

I didn't really care about Saturday morning cartoon blocks that much in my childhood. Besides, the 2000s had sheesh tons of cartoon channels that were very popular, so I didn't really pay attention that much to the Saturday morning blocks. Also, I think CN and Nick just had sheeshty presidents back in the very late 2000s, so that's why they cancelled most of their good shows. At least, they ended Avatar.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/31/15 at 8:55 pm

I didn't really care about Saturday morning cartoon blocks that much in my childhood. Besides, the 2000s had sheesh tons of cartoon channels that were very popular, so I didn't really pay attention that much to the Saturday morning blocks. Also, I think CN and Nick just had sheeshty presidents back in the very late 2000s, so that's why they cancelled most of their good shows. At least, they ended Avatar.

That's true. There were plenty of good ones on Nick, Disney, CN and others along with the Saturday morning cartoon blocks. I say that the 2000s were great for cartoons as well except for late portion.

And i agree. Both channels had awful presidents during those periods. They should have never been hired. Had that not happened,  the networks would have been much better and the shows wouldn't have been canceled too early.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/31/15 at 9:23 pm

That's true. There were plenty of good ones on Nick, Disney, CN and others along with the Saturday morning cartoon blocks. I say that the 2000s were great for cartoons as well except for late portion.

And i agree. Both channels had awful presidents during those periods. They should have never been hired. Had that not happened,  the networks would have been much better and the shows wouldn't have been canceled too early.

Yeah, and they wouldn't have people complaining about how bad Nick and CN's presidents were, if Stuart and the other guy wasn't hired.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/31/15 at 9:36 pm

Yeah, and they wouldn't have people complaining about how bad Nick and CN's presidents were, if Stuart and the other guy wasn't hired.
Yep. Well we know the reason how Stuart was hired. Had that bomb scare never happened, Samples would have still been president of CN. I'm not sure about Nickelodeon though.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/01/15 at 8:45 am

Yep. Well we know the reason how Stuart was hired. Had that bomb scare never happened, Samples would have still been president of CN. I'm not sure about Nickelodeon though.

Well, the good thing is that they got rid of Stuart Snyder. But for Nickelodeon, I don't know why the hell do they make such crappy decisions, aside from the money of course.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/01/15 at 9:01 am

Well, the good thing is that they got rid of Stuart Snyder. But for Nickelodeon, I don't know why the hell do they make such crappy decisions, aside from the money of course.
Yeah and now CN is doing much better than a few years ago. As for nickelodeon, I think it's because the network might still have the same president from 2007 or they are probably still focused on competing with Disney.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/01/15 at 9:10 am

Yeah and now CN is doing much better than a few years ago. As for nickelodeon, I think it's because the network might still have the same president from 2007 or they are probably still focused on competing with Disney.

I think Nickelodeon is still competing with Disney, since most of their sitcoms are just blatant copies of Disney's shows. Nick should face the fact that they aren't successful anymore and they should make more original shows.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/01/15 at 10:05 am

Do you remember when WB Kids was still good in the mid 2000s? I'm just trying to wonder. This isn't my opinion. I'm just trying to know what you liked after 2004.

BfXhH_CEJXc g6KhECsPvVo

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/01/15 at 7:39 pm

I think Nickelodeon is still competing with Disney, since most of their sitcoms are just blatant copies of Disney's shows. Nick should face the fact that they aren't successful anymore and they should make more original shows.
I agree. If they stop competing with Disney and focus on their shows making them better along with the network, then Nickelodeon might be able to begin a revival age.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/01/15 at 7:47 pm

I agree. If they stop competing with Disney and focus on their shows making them better along with the network, then Nickelodeon might be able to begin a revival age.

Yeah, and they would start making more show for older audiences, especially teens. I would say adults but Nick at Nite and the Nick Mom block on Nick Jr. exists.

Written By: Howard on 08/02/15 at 1:35 pm

Yeah, and they would start making more show for older audiences, especially teens. I would say adults but Nick at Nite and the Nick Mom block on Nick Jr. exists.

I think our generation is growing up.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/02/15 at 1:56 pm

I think our generation is growing up.

To my generation, I could say yes. Most 2000s kids are either adults or teenagers now, especially the 00s/10s hybrids.

Written By: Howard on 08/02/15 at 2:23 pm

To my generation, I could say yes. Most 2000s kids are either adults or teenagers now, especially the 00s/10s hybrids.

My generation is between the ages 25-54 range.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/03/15 at 8:22 am

The one I wish I would have witnessed was the NBC lineup. The channel had good shows as well. Unfortunately, they dropped the children's programming a year before I was born. If I was a few more years older, I definitely would have watched the NBC cartoon lineup.

It's true, NBC was the first of the broadcast networks to drop Saturday Morning Cartoons, and they did it well earlier than everybody else. I was born in '87 and even I can only barely remember watching some of their Saturday morning stuff (like Captain N) before they switched over to the extended Today show/Saved by the Bell lineup of Fall 1992. Looking back on it, that was an early sign that cable kids networks like Nick were beginning to eat into the ratings for broadcast cartoons, but they still remained fairly high throughout the '90s. CBS did begin to cut into their Saturday morning lineup in the Fall of '98 when they added an hour long broadcast of the Early Show to the 8-9 A.M. time slot, but they still offered 3 hours of cartoons after that, so it wasn't a huge deal at the time.

I think what ultimately killed off Saturday Morning Cartoons altogether were the educational requirements that stemmed from the Children's Television Act of 1990. Once the FCC started to crack down on demanding that broadcast networks offer a set number of hours of educational programming in the late '90s and early '00s, most of them just started throwing in the towel and showing the Nick Jr./Playhouse Disney type fare that has sadly dominated for the last 10 years or so. Cable had a big hand in all of this too, but I really believe that these government regulations were the death knell for cartoons on broadcast television.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/03/15 at 10:44 am

It's true, NBC was the first of the broadcast networks to drop Saturday Morning Cartoons, and they did it well earlier than everybody else. I was born in '87 and even I can only barely remember watching some of their Saturday morning stuff (like Captain N) before they switched over to the extended Today show/Saved by the Bell lineup of Fall 1992. Looking back on it, that was an early sign that cable kids networks like Nick were beginning to eat into the ratings for broadcast cartoons, but they still remained fairly high throughout the '90s. CBS did begin to cut into their Saturday morning lineup in the Fall of '98 when they added an hour long broadcast of the Early Show to the 8-9 A.M. time slot, but they still offered 3 hours of cartoons after that, so it wasn't a huge deal at the time.

I think what ultimately killed off Saturday Morning Cartoons altogether were the educational requirements that stemmed from the Children's Television Act of 1990. Once the FCC started to crack down on demanding that broadcast networks offer a set number of hours of educational programming in the late '90s and early '00s, most of them just started throwing in the towel and showing the Nick Jr./Playhouse Disney type fare that has sadly dominated for the last 10 years or so. Cable had a big hand in all of this too, but I really believe that these government regulations were the death knell for cartoons on broadcast television.

Well, what can you say? They probably thought that children needed educational programming, since those violent cartoons from the 80s aren't giving them anything to learn. I'm actually glad that they did that.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/03/15 at 5:55 pm

Well, what can you say? They probably thought that children needed educational programming, since those violent cartoons from the 80s aren't giving them anything to learn. I'm actually glad that they did that.

I don't really have a problem with them doing it, as I wasn't still watching cartoons by the time these changes started happening anyway, I guess it's just more of a nostalgia thing for me. I grew up in an era when Saturday mornings were a kid's favorite time of the week because you could get up at 6 AM, grab some cereal, sit in front of the TV set for the next six hours and forget about all the pressures of school for a little while. In fact, my family didn't even have cable up until 1994, so until then the only way I could even watch new episodes of shows like Darkwing Duck and TMNT was on Saturday mornings. For that reason, purely from a nostalgic point of view, I was sad to see them go by the wayside in the late '00s.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/03/15 at 6:08 pm

I don't really have a problem with them doing it, as I wasn't still watching cartoons by the time these changes started happening anyway, I guess it's just more of a nostalgia thing for me. I grew up in an era when Saturday mornings were a kid's favorite time of the week because you could get up at 6 AM, grab some cereal, sit in front of the TV set for the next six hours and forget about all the pressures of school for a little while. In fact, my family didn't even have cable up until 1994, so until then the only way I could even watch new episodes of shows like Darkwing Duck and TMNT was on Saturday mornings. For that reason, purely from a nostalgic point of view, I was sad to see them go by the wayside in the late '00s.

It was worse in the 2010s, when they got rid of the CW4Kids Saturday morning block or something like that. It was one of the last Saturday morning blocks that was still alive after the late 00s.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/03/15 at 7:17 pm

It was worse in the 2010s, when they got rid of the CW4Kids Saturday morning block or something like that. It was one of the last Saturday morning blocks that was still alive after the late 00s.

Vortexx on CW was the very last Saturday morning cartoon block that ever existed without the E/I rule.

Subject: Re: why did so many tv channels go majorly downhill around 2007??

Written By: ArcticFox on 08/03/15 at 7:59 pm

In my opinion it was a year earlier - 2006. Both for children's, teen/young adult's, and adult's television. Still, I think television declined a lot after 2001. A lot of '90s shows went off the air in the early 2000's. And they were replaced by inferior television shows (which would go on to define the decade).

Written By: mqg96 on 08/03/15 at 8:10 pm

In my opinion it was a year earlier - 2006. Both for children's, teen/young adult's, and adult's television. Still, I think television declined a lot after 2001. A lot of '90s shows went off the air in the early 2000's. And they were replaced by inferior television shows (which would go on to define the decade).

Most of the shows that debuted in the 90's and even some early 2000's shows too were still played on TV a lot well after 2001, I didn't start noticing those leaving until around 2004 or so, but you're right, most of the kids channels went on a severe decline around 2006 before all of the leftovers were gone by late 2007/early 2008.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/03/15 at 8:41 pm

2006? How is that a year when children's, teens and adult television went downhill? Adult television was still the sheesh, even with the premiere of Dexter for god's sakes. As for HBO, they still had Deadwood, The Sopranos, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Rome and Big Love. For Nickelodeon, they still have Avatar, Fairy Odd Parents (before Poof), Spongebob and Drake & Josh. For CN, do I have to say the same sheesh over and over again?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/04/15 at 5:16 pm

They need to premiere some good ones. There were plenty of good shows for the teen audience in the past such as Kenan & Kel, Drake & Josh, Ned's Declassified, Clarissa Explains it All, and Alex Mack. The Thundermans is doing alright, but it's not doing better enough to revive the network. In addition, Nickelodeon needs to really add more cartoons and stop the running of Spongebob and FOP. Those shows are great and all (especially the early seasons), but when the network shows them over and over again, it becomes a problem. They have been doing this since 2008/09. It's getting tiring now. If they can bring new ideas to the channel, they would be appreciated a lot more.

Yeah, even though NBC's Saturday morning cartoon lineup was long gone, I was still able to watch the other blocks on Fox, WB, CBS, and ABC along with the major 3 cartoon channels. All of them had cartoons to offer that wouldn't be found on other channels. Furthermore, they were all awesome in their own way until sometime in the early-mid 00s. After that, I stopped watching all of them as the blocks began to change for the worse. Fox kids became Foxbox (which was decent and much better than 4KidsTV); CBS started to add Nick Jr shows and it turned me off as they were already on Nickelodeon and I would watch them on that channel anyway; D1SM became ABC Kids; last, Kids WB began declining in 2004/05.

I agree with you. Not all educational cartoons should be the Nick Jr/Playhouse Disney types. There were already plenty that were exciting and educational at the same time on those Saturday morning blocks. Besides, those preschool cartoons were already airing on their respective networks. They didn't need to be on more than one channel.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/04/15 at 5:24 pm

They need to premiere some good ones. There were plenty of good shows for the teen audience in the past such as Kenan & Kel, Drake & Josh, Ned's Declassified, Clarissa Explains it All, and Alex Mack. The Thundermans is doing alright, but it's not doing better enough to revive the network. In addition, Nickelodeon needs to really add more cartoons and stop the running of Spongebob and FOP. Those shows are great and all (especially the early seasons), but when the network shows them over and over again, it becomes a problem. They have been doing this since 2008/09. It's getting tiring now. If they can bring new ideas to the channel, thay would be  appreciated.

The Thundermans was doing alright? Who would actually seem to give a crap about watching the show? Sure, it brings in a few million people into watching the show, but it doesn't really save the network. It's just that, along with countless reruns of Spongebob and FOP that's keeping Nickelodeon up on life support. I could say Harvey Beaks but I'm not sure how popular it is.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/04/15 at 5:34 pm

They need to premiere some good ones. There were plenty of good shows for the teen audience in the past such as Kenan & Kel, Drake & Josh, Ned's Declassified, Clarissa Explains it All, and Alex Mack. The Thundermans is doing alright, but it's not doing better enough to revive the network. In addition, Nickelodeon needs to really add more cartoons and stop the running of Spongebob and FOP. Those shows are great and all (especially the early seasons), but when the network shows them over and over again, it becomes a problem. They have been doing this since 2008/09. It's getting tiring now. If they can bring new ideas to the channel, thay would be  appreciated.
Yeah, even though NBC's Saturday morning cartoon lineup was long gone, I was still able to watch the other blocks on Fox, WB, CBS, and ABC along with the major 3 cartoon channels. All of them had cartoons to offer that wouldn't be found on other channels. Furthermore, they were all awesome in their own way until sometime in the early-mid 00s. After that, I stopped watching all of them as the blocks began to change for the worse. Fox kids became Foxbox (which was decent and much better than 4KidsTV); CBS started to add Nick Jr shows and it turned me off as they were already on Nickelodeon and I would watch them on that channel anyway; D1SM became ABC Kids; last, Kids WB began declining in 2004/05.

I agree with you. Not all educational cartoons should be the Nick Jr/Playhouse Disney types. There were already plenty that were exciting and educational at the same time on those Saturday morning blocks. Besides, those preschool cartoons were already airing on their respective networks. They didn't need to be on more than one channel.

Late 2005/Early 2006 actually. I think the early signs of Kids WB's downfall was in 2005, because of the end of Jackie Chan Adventures, shows like X-Men: Evolution and Static Shock had left. Mucha Lucha ended. Also, while Teen Titans finished the rest of its run on Cartoon Network, it was actually on Kids WB from 2003 up until it was taken off the lineup around early 2005. Xiaolin Showdown came to an end and reruns were moved over to Cartoon Network. What's New Scooby-Doo eventually ended around 2006 as well. The quality of the newer Kids WB shows had dropped, shows like Johnny Test (season 1 was the only good part of the series) and Loonatics Unleashed premiered which weren't as good. Scooby & Shaggy Get A Clue was horrible including some of the other shows that premiered later on. Also, Kids WB's weekday afternoon block got discontinued towards the very end of 2005, and from that point on it was only on Saturday mornings for the rest of its run through CW until it was cancelled in 2008.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/04/15 at 5:43 pm

Late 2005/Early 2006 actually. I think the early signs of Kids WB's downfall was in 2005, because of the end of Jackie Chan Adventures, shows like X-Men: Evolution and Static Shock had left. Mucha Lucha ended. Also, while Teen Titans finished the rest of its run on Cartoon Network, it was actually on Kids WB from 2003 up until it was taken off the lineup around early 2005. Xiaolin Showdown came to an end and reruns were moved over to Cartoon Network. What's New Scooby-Doo eventually ended around 2006 as well. The quality of the newer Kids WB shows had dropped, shows like Johnny Test (season 1 was the only good part of the series) and Loonatics Unleashed premiered which weren't as good. Scooby & Shaggy Get A Clue was horrible including some of the other shows that premiered later on. Also, Kids WB's weekday afternoon block got discontinued towards the very end of 2005, and from that point on it was only on Saturday mornings for the rest of its run through CW until it was cancelled in 2008.

Did you stop watching Kids WB after they cancelled it in 2008?

Written By: mqg96 on 08/04/15 at 5:53 pm

Did you stop watching Kids WB after they cancelled it in 2008?

I stopped watching it around 2006 when it moved to CW, yes Kids WB still existed for 2 more years after the WB network itself was changed to CW, however, by the time that happened none of Kids WB's programming interested me anymore. Also, I live near the local Atlanta, GA, and when Kids WB was moved to CW in our area back in 2006, Kids WB got switched to Sundays around here. Because of this local Atlanta morning show that premiered took our Saturday morning time slot, and since I had to go to church on Sundays, my days of watching Kids WB was over. It was eventually changed to CW4kids in 2008 but even then it stayed on the Sunday morning time slot.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/04/15 at 5:57 pm

The Thundermans was doing alright? Who would actually seem to give a crap about watching the show? Sure, it brings in a few million people into watching the show, but it doesn't really save the network. It's just that, along with countless reruns of Spongebob and FOP that's keeping Nickelodeon up on life support. I could say Harvey Beaks but I'm not sure how popular it is.
Well I haven't seen the show sometime since last year, but I feel that the first season was decent. But like I said, it won't save Nickelodeon. Unless they add more good shows and stop the constant showing of SpongeBob and FOP, the network is doomed.

I can see it that way too. Although I didn't watch the block anymore, I still saw those shows on Kids WB when my cousins were watching it. However after 2005, it was done for.

As for Johnny Test, the first season was definitely fantastic; however, the second and 3rd seasons were decent as well. The first three were alot different from the 4th+ seasons. They actually made more sense and Johnny wasn't as lazy as he was in the later ones.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/04/15 at 6:12 pm

Well I haven't seen the show sometime since last year, but I feel that the first season was decent. But like I said, it won't save Nickelodeon. Unless they add more good shows and stop the constant showing of SpongeBob and FOP, the network is doomed.
I can see it that way too. Although I didn't watch the block anymore, I still saw those shows on Kids WB when my cousins were watching it. However after 2005, it was done for.

As for Johnny Test, the first season was definitely fantastic; however, the second and 3rd seasons were decent as well. The first three were alot different from the 4th+ seasons. They actually made more sense and Johnny wasn't as lazy as he was in the later ones.

Let me show you something here. Now before I show you, I already stated in one of my previous comments that 2005 was the last full decent year for Kids WB. But IMO, not on the same level as 2001-2004 which were my favorite years.

Here's the Spring 2005 Kids WB Saturday morning schedule:
8:00am:  What's New, Scooby-Doo?
8:30am:  ¡Mucha Lucha!: Gigante
9:00am:  Teen Titans
9:30am:  Xiaolin Showdown
10:00am: Pokémon: Advanced Challenge
10:30am: The Batman
11:00am: Yu-Gi-Oh!: Waking the Dragons
11:30am: Yu-Gi-Oh!: Waking the Dragons (continued)

Here's the Summer 2005 Kids WB weekday afternoon schedule:
3:00pm: Pokémon
3:30pm: Jackie Chan Adventures
4:00pm: Xiaolin Showdown
4:30pm: Xiaolin Showdown

Now I was hardly ever into Yu-Gi-Oh, but everything else on this schedule got me tuned in. My 9 year old self at the time would've made sure I was up in time to catch the whole 8am-11am time-slot. Now the weekday afternoon part of Kids WB was still around at the time before it was cancelled towards the end of this year, this was the very last time Jackie Chan Adventures aired Kids WB as well. 

Fall 2005 Kids WB Saturday morning lineup:
8:00am:  Yu-Gi-Oh!: Grand Championship
8:30am:  The Batman
9:00am:  Xiaolin Showdown
9:30am:  Coconut Fred's Fruit Salad Island
10:00am: Pokémon: Advanced Battle
10:30am: Loonatics Unleashed
11:00am: Johnny Test
11:30am: Viewtiful Joe

You still have a few good shows on this lineup, but do you notice anything different from Spring to Fall 2005?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/04/15 at 6:38 pm

Let me show you something here. Now before I show you, I already stated in one of my previous comments that 2005 was the last full decent year for Kids WB. But IMO, not on the same level as 2001-2004 which were my favorite years.

Here's the Spring 2005 Kids WB Saturday morning schedule:
8:00am:  What's New, Scooby-Doo?
8:30am:  ¡Mucha Lucha!: Gigante
9:00am:  Teen Titans
9:30am:  Xiaolin Showdown
10:00am: Pokémon: Advanced Challenge
10:30am: The Batman
11:00am: Yu-Gi-Oh!: Waking the Dragons
11:30am: Yu-Gi-Oh!: Waking the Dragons (continued)

Here's the Summer 2005 Kids WB weekday afternoon schedule:
3:00pm: Pokémon
3:30pm: Jackie Chan Adventures
4:00pm: Xiaolin Showdown
4:30pm: Xiaolin Showdown

Now I was hardly ever into Yu-Gi-Oh, but everything else on this schedule got me tuned in. My 9 year old self at the time would've made sure I was up in time to catch the whole 8am-11am time-slot. Now the weekday afternoon part of Kids WB was still around at the time before it was cancelled towards the end of this year, this was the very last time Jackie Chan Adventures aired Kids WB as well. 

Fall 2005 Kids WB Saturday morning lineup:
8:00am:  Yu-Gi-Oh!: Grand Championship
8:30am:  The Batman
9:00am:  Xiaolin Showdown
9:30am:  Coconut Fred's Fruit Salad Island
10:00am: Pokémon: Advanced Battle
10:30am: Loonatics Unleashed
11:00pm: Johnny Test
11:30pm: Viewtiful Joe

You still have a few good shows on this lineup, but do you notice anything different from Spring to Fall 2005?
Most of the shows that were on in Spring 2005 ended and were replaced with a few mediocre ones in the fall. Moreover, the spring 2005 schedule were full of great quality shows and a few others were moved to CN after the cartoons ended their run.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/06/15 at 8:25 pm

Most of the shows that were on in Spring 2005 ended and were replaced with a few mediocre ones in the fall. Moreover, the spring 2005 schedule were full of great quality shows and a few others were moved to CN after the cartoons ended their run.

What were the shows that still got you interested on Kids WB? Or did you quit watching the show after Spring of 2005?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/09/15 at 3:54 pm

seriously once 2007 hit a lot of the tv channels (Especially the cartoon channels) just went downhill in quality you had a few exceptions like (mad men) etc... but overall the late 00s was a pretty dark era for television.

I'm pretty sure some people kinda like some TV channels after the 2000s ended, like AMC, HBO and Cartoon Network to name a few. But I think those channels were still good around 2007 to the early 2010s. HBO had Boardwalk Empire, True Blood, The Ricky Gervais Show, Treme and The Newsroom while AMC had Breaking Bad and Mad Men to entertain people. Unlike those channels, Cartoon Network seems to be having a dark age around the early 2010s to me. I was okay with the Fall and Noods eras, but after they ended, the Check-It era seems to make it awkward. Some of those, like mqg96, might believe that the Check-It era "revived" Cartoon Network, but they just have godawful shows like The Problem Solverz, Secret Mountain Fort Awesome, the later Total Drama seasons (ex: Revenge Of The Island), and the Annoying Orange TV series. Hell, it still had live-action shows like Incredible Crew (although, I find that show to be funny), Dude What Would Happen and Destroy Build Destroy.

It was revived when Stuart Snyder was fired as president of Cartoon Network in 2014, hoping that somebody would try to fix up his screw-ups with the network. Although, his bullcrap announcement on Boomerang rebranding made it terrible. The only bad thing that I might say from this year is that they rebranded Boomerang as I mentioned before. As for CN this year, We Bare Bears premiered around late July, which got me interested into watching the network again. So, thank Christina Miller that CN is actually getting better this time.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/09/15 at 4:40 pm

I'm pretty sure some people kinda like some TV channels after the 2000s ended, like AMC, HBO and Cartoon Network to name a few. But I think those channels were still good around 2007 to the early 2010s. HBO had Boardwalk Empire, True Blood, The Ricky Gervais Show, Treme and The Newsroom while AMC had Breaking Bad and Mad Men to entertain people. Unlike those channels, Cartoon Network seems to be having a dark age around the early 2010s to me. I was okay with the Fall and Noods eras, but after they ended, the Check-It era seems to make it awkward. Some of those, like mqg96, might believe that the Check-It era "revived" Cartoon Network, but they just have godawful shows like The Problem Solverz, Secret Mountain Fort Awesome, the later Total Drama seasons (ex: Revenge Of The Island), and the Annoying Orange TV series. Hell, it still had live-action shows like Incredible Crew (although, I find that show to be funny), Dude What Would Happen and Destroy Build Destroy.

It was revived when Stuart Snyder was fired as president of Cartoon Network in 2014, hoping that somebody would try to fix up his screw-ups with the network. Although, his bullcrap announcement on Boomerang rebranding made it terrible. The only bad thing that I might say from this year is that they rebranded Boomerang as I mentioned before. As for CN this year, We Bare Bears premiered around late July, which got me interested into watching the network again. So, thank Christina Miller that CN is actually getting better this time.

Yeah Stuart Snyder resigned and Christina Miller took his place. Since he's left NOT one live-action show has been greenlit. Also, Dude What Would Happen and Destroy Build Destroy were from 2009 on the CN Real block, I remember those along with others like Survive This and Bobby Says being played A LOT throughout that year. In 2010 as we know we got Adventure Time & Regular Show, which began the Renaissance Age for Cartoon Network. Also, don't forget that shows like Sym-bionic Titan, Young Justice, and Scooby-Doo Mystery Incorporated were really great, dark, action shows that came around the time when Cartoon Network still had variety. Then around 2012 Toonami got revived on and Cartoon Planet had started which showed classics. Since around 2013 or 2014 all of the live-action shows are finally gone, and shows like Steven Universe or Clarence joined. Cartoon Network still has its ups and downs. Because Young Justice, Sym-bonic Titan, or Thundercats (2011) were all cancelled including many other action shows. While original programming wise Cartoon Network is in its best age its ever been since its Cartoon Cartoons era from the early 2000's, the terrible scheduling and lack of variety is still a problem. Not to mention coming on every night at 8pm ET/PT now. I miss it when used to only come on a couple nights a week starting at 11pm back in the Powerhouse Era (early 2000's), while the rest of the nights Cartoon Network would be 24 hours.

I have a 6 year old cousin going to the 1st grade and he loves Cartoon Network, him watching Cartoon Network now was like me watching Cartoon Network back in 2002. I was sitting with him a couple of times on the couch and its unbelievable how many times Teen Titans Go! and Amazing World of Gumball get played on there constantly. While Regular Show barely gets any time on the schedule now it only comes on like once a week or something. The CHECK it Era from 2010-now has been an improvement but has always had its ups and downs. Earlier in the CHECK it Era Adventures Time & Regular Show were in its prime, you still had more action shows like Young Justice, Thundercats (2011), and Scooby-Doo: Mystery Inc. But there were still a handful of live-action shows even then. As for the CHECK it Era now since it's been going on for 5 years, you have a handful of original programming now, more than earlier in the era, but the channel lacks variety and the schedule is so repetitive. No energetic bumpers anymore, no events, barely any appealing blocks now, and the atmosphere is so dull. The good news is that there's no live-action shows anymore which is good, but the lack of action shows/acquisitions that Cartoon Network used to rely on back then is still major a problem to me. Cartoon Planet was a perfect block for tons of classics, I don't know why it was taken away.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/09/15 at 5:02 pm

Stuart Snyder really never got fired TBH, I think he just resigned and Christina Miller took his place. Since he's left NOT one live-action show has been greenlit.

That's really great. Now CN wouldn't have to deal with other bullcrap that they faced through the past five or six years. Despite their schedules being repetitive, which would I talk about in the other quote.

I have a 6 year old cousin going to the 1st grade and he loves Cartoon Network, him watching Cartoon Network now was like me watching Cartoon Network back in 2002. I was sitting with him a couple of times on the couch and its unbelievable how many times Teen Titans Go! and Amazing World of Gumball get played on there constantly. While Regular Show barely gets any time on the schedule now it only comes on like once a week or something. The CHECK it Era from 2010-now has been an improvement but has always had its ups and downs. Earlier in the CHECK it Era Adventures Time & Regular Show were in its prime, you still had more action shows like Young Justice, Thundercats (2011), and Scooby-Doo: Mystery Inc. But there were still a handful of live-action shows even then. As for the CHECK it Era now since it's been going on for 5 years, you have a handful of original programming now, more than earlier in the era, but the channel lacks variety and the schedule is so repetitive. No energetic bumpers anymore, no events, barely any appealing blocks now, and the atmosphere is so dull. The good news is that there's no live-action shows anymore which is good, but the lack of action shows/acquisitions that Cartoon Network used to rely on back then is still major a problem to me. Cartoon Planet was a perfect block for tons of classics, I don't know why it was taken away.

Well, at least they have Boomerang (despite having the channel being rebranded in late January of this year). So, I can get that your 6 year old cousin loves Cartoon Network. Much liked of how I loved Cartoon Network from 2005 to 2009 (2010 was kinda meh for them, since their live-action shows were at its peak in that year). I can also get that Cartoon Planet was a good block for tons of classics, even though most of their shows later aired on Boomerang until the rebrand happened. They probably took that away because they thought making Boomerang child-friendly was a good idea, even though the whole point of Boomerang was to air shows for children and adults, in a way that people's children would get introduced to their parents' childhood.

And with the schedules, it's sort of repetitive that they still air the same boring shows over and over again, even though they can just air their shows two times a day. We live in a time where On-Demand services are widely available to everybody, where kids can watch their favorite shows on demand, without waiting for it to be aired. We don't need their shows to be aired in excessive amounts of time, where it's like a marathon is happening with them.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/12/15 at 6:58 pm

What were the shows that still got you interested on Kids WB? Or did you quit watching the show after Spring of 2005?
I'm late with this post, but I actually stopped watching Kids WB around 2003 because I was getting older; however, the block was still decent until 2006 as my younger cousins had it on at that time. That's how I'm able to remember shows such as Xiaolin Showdown, last few WB seasons of Pokemon, Mucha Lucha, and even What's new Scooby-Doo being on that block.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/14/15 at 3:31 pm

I'm late with this post, but I actually stopped watching Kids WB around 2003 because I was getting older; however, the block was still decent until 2006 as my younger cousins had it on at that time. That's how I'm able to remember shows such as Xiaolin Showdown, last few WB seasons of Pokemon, Mucha Lucha, and even What's new Scooby-Doo being on that block.

Do you remember these commercials from Kids WB in 2006 at any chance?

lUbE-8fYDTE v7vL1reZQro kRobkwpOVv8

Written By: mqg96 on 08/14/15 at 3:38 pm

NWqUtCM9OIc

Yeah, unfortunately, this was my least favorite era of Kids WB, the late 2005-2008 rebrand/era or whatever you call it. This was the time I had lost interest in the network and when it moved to CW in 2006 here in the local Atlanta area, Kids WB was only on Sundays here the rest of its run so it was impossible for me to see it by then anyway.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/14/15 at 3:59 pm

NWqUtCM9OIc

Yeah, unfortunately, this was my least favorite era of Kids WB, the late 2005-2008 rebrand/era or whatever you call it. This was the time I had lost interest in the network and when it moved to CW in 2006 here in the local Atlanta area, Kids WB was only on Sundays here the rest of its run so it was impossible for me to see it by then anyway.

That message was actually for Eazy-EMAN, but okay.

EDIT: That post was actually for Xcrash, since I replied to him.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/14/15 at 4:23 pm

I do remember those commercials, but not from Kids WB. There were on Nickelodeon and CN. As for the promos and bumpers, I think I do as my younger cousins were watching that channel whenever it was on.

That message was actually for Eazy-EMAN, but okay.
;D ;D

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/14/15 at 5:09 pm

NWqUtCM9OIc

YES, me too bro this was when the network began to suck for me BIG TIME! I was SLOWLY beginning to lose Intrest in 04-05 ish but this drove me away!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/15/15 at 11:27 am

YES, me too bro this was when the network began to suck for me BIG TIME! I was SLOWLY beginning to lose Intrest in 04-05 ish but this drove me away!

Well, at least you can watch some of the shows that they previously aired on Kids WB at Cartoon Network in 2005-2007ish.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/15/15 at 2:44 pm

Well, at least you can watch some of the shows that they previously aired on Kids WB at Cartoon Network in 2005-2007ish.

You're absolutely correct, from 1997 up until Kids WB ended, Cartoon Network would always play reruns of the popular Kids WB shows on there. I can easily remember reruns of Batman: TAS, Superman: TAS, and Batman Beyond on there back in 2002, and in 2003 I remember reruns of Baby Looney Tunes, Sylvester & Tweety Mysteries, What's New Scooby-Doo, Jackie Chan Adventures, and X-Men: Evolution joining the lineups.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/15/15 at 5:51 pm

You're absolutely correct, from 1997 up until Kids WB ended, Cartoon Network would always play reruns of the popular Kids WB shows on there. I can easily remember reruns of Batman: TAS, Superman: TAS, and Batman Beyond on there back in 2002, and in 2003 I remember reruns of Baby Looney Tunes, Sylvester & Tweety Mysteries, What's New Scooby-Doo, Jackie Chan Adventures, and X-Men: Evolution joining the lineups.

Was CW4Kids available in Atlanta? I'm just wondering, or unless it started when you were a teen or something.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/15/15 at 6:36 pm

Was CW4Kids available in Atlanta? I'm just wondering, or unless it started when you were a teen or something.

Yes it was, but only on Sunday mornings though here in Atlanta. Here's the confusion though, a lot of people think that when The WB network changed to The CW in 2006, Kids WB was changed to CW4Kids during that same time. That's not true. The first two years The CW was around from 2006-2008 it was still called Kids WB on Saturday mornings. It wasn't until 2008 when Kids WB's name was changed to CW4Kids on The CW. I'm not sure if that affected the programming or not because I was no longer watching it by then. Here's the history of Saturday morning blocks on The WB/CW if I'm correct.

Kids WB on The WB
Saturdays @ 8am-12pm
Weekdays (Mon-Fri) @ 3pm-5pm
(1995-2005)

Kids WB on The WB
Saturdays @ 8am-12pm
(2005-2006)

Kids WB on The CW
Saturdays @ 8am-12pm (Sundays in Atlanta)
(2006-2008)

CW4Kids on The CW
(2008-2010)

Toonzai on The CW
(2010-2012)

Vortexx on The CW
(2012-2014)

Now other local areas may have done the schedule differently depending on where you lived, but here in the local Atlanta area when Kids WB moved to The CW in 2006 due to The WB network's shutdown, it was moved from Saturdays to Sundays and I could hardly see it anymore because I had church those mornings. But I had lost interest by then anyway.

Hope this helped bro!

Written By: Zelek3 on 10/17/16 at 2:21 pm

No, TV got BETTER around 2007. Now we're in a golden age of television.

Kids channels got worse around 06-07, but they're not all of TV.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/17/16 at 2:30 pm

Kids channels were a bit mediocre towards the late 2000s. As for TV in general, I kinda thought it was alright for the time. Maybe some classic TV shows died around the 2005-06 and 2006-07 seasonal years, but it was still fascinating towards people.

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/17/16 at 3:09 pm

We're in a 2nd golden age of television apparently. To most sources the 2nd golden age started back in the mid-late 2000s onward. A better question would be why did television get better or why television before 2005 was hit or miss.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/18/16 at 12:34 am

Because there was something in the air around 2007/2008. We always talk about the 2008 economic crash that started in September 2008 and onwards, but actually the recession already started in December 2007.

There was definitely something in the air in 2007/2008. Even music changed in 2008.

Written By: musicguy93 on 10/18/16 at 12:50 pm

We're in a 2nd golden age of television apparently. To most sources the 2nd golden age started back in the mid-late 2000s onward. A better question would be why did television get better or why television before 2005 was hit or miss.

For people like me, whom are tired of serialized dramas, the current era is not the golden age of T.V. Everything feels the same to me with the whole "dark and serious" vibe a lot of shows have nowadays. I just don't find it very entertaining or fun to watch. I

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/18/16 at 1:34 pm

For people like me, whom are tired of serialized dramas, the current era is not the golden age of T.V. Everything feels the same to me with the whole "dark and serious" vibe a lot of shows have nowadays. I just don't find it very entertaining or fun to watch.

I guess you're into comedies, or something that has a light tone within the show. I'm pretty sure ABC Family has a few sitcoms if you're into that, as an example. Unless you somehwere outside of America.

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/18/16 at 2:07 pm

For people like me, whom are tired of serialized dramas, the current era is not the golden age of T.V. Everything feels the same to me with the whole "dark and serious" vibe a lot of shows have nowadays. I just don't find it very entertaining or fun to watch. I

Moreso a golden in that a lot of TV shows are acclaimed hits. But to each his own, I suppose.

Written By: John Titor on 11/16/18 at 3:03 pm

Because there was something in the air around 2007/2008. We always talk about the 2008 economic crash that started in September 2008 and onwards, but actually the recession already started in December 2007.

There was definitely something in the air in 2007/2008. Even music changed in 2008.

I felt the change in the air as early as Feb 2007,  It started getting dark & Digital around April

Written By: Howard on 11/16/18 at 5:18 pm

All I can remember were the channels 2-13 when you had a small TV with rabbit ears.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 11/16/18 at 5:52 pm

All I can remember were the channels 2-13 when you had a small TV with rabbit ears.
Spoken like a true Gen xer though you were young enough to see the raise in cable tv in the 80s with MTV, BET and Nickoldeon coming out.

Written By: piecesof93 on 11/16/18 at 9:00 pm

Yup this was the year I started watching significantly less TV.

Written By: SpyroKev on 11/16/18 at 9:44 pm

TV dropping in quality in 2007 is the established mark for the declining of tv in the 2000s.

Written By: John Titor on 11/16/18 at 10:21 pm

TV dropping in quality in 2007 is the established mark for the declining of tv in the 2000s.

TV was so bad in 2007 lol

Written By: annimal on 11/16/18 at 10:31 pm

I stopped watching it too

Written By: Howard on 11/17/18 at 2:58 pm

Spoken like a true Gen xer though you were young enough to see the raise in cable tv in the 80s with MTV, BET and Nickelodeon coming out.

I remember seeing it most likely after 1985

Written By: Howard on 11/17/18 at 2:59 pm

TV was so bad in 2007 lol

TV was so much better during The 1980's.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 11/17/18 at 5:05 pm

I agree that 07 was a year TV starting to falter but I still watched CN, Nick and Disney religiously. One show I loved back then is Cory In The House.

Written By: mqg96 on 11/17/18 at 5:50 pm

I agree that 07 was a year TV starting to falter but I still watched CN, Nick and Disney religiously. One show I loved back then is Cory In The House.

Yeah, I was pretty much done with kid stations by 2007. That's when I started watching more mature shows on G4, MTV, TruTV, adult swim, ABC Family, etc. and I continued watching reality shows and my favorite football teams on CBS, FOX, NBC, ESPN and so forth. For free time I mainly focused on my DS and eventually my Wii once I got it by Christmas of that year.

I watched the first few episodes of Cory In The House and then I fell off it. I mainly enjoyed That's So Raven seasons 1-3 and a little of season 4 (which was my least favorite). 2005 was the peak of Disney Channel, when That's So Raven season 3, Suite Life of Zack & Cody season 1, and Phil of the Future season 2 aired. You also had American Dragon season 1, Kim Possible So The Drama (the original finale) and The Proud Family Movie. It's very sad what Nick and CN have become when you compare the stations to how those used to be in the 2000's, but times have changed and kids' way of entertainment has changed too compared to us.

Written By: 2001 on 11/17/18 at 7:05 pm

Spill it!!

Written By: John Titor on 11/17/18 at 9:42 pm

Yeah, I was pretty much done with kid stations by 2007. That's when I started watching more mature shows on G4, MTV, TruTV, adult swim, ABC Family, etc. and I continued watching reality shows and my favorite football teams on CBS, FOX, NBC, ESPN and so forth. For free time I mainly focused on my DS and eventually my Wii once I got it by Christmas of that year.

I watched the first few episodes of Cory In The House and then I fell off it. I mainly enjoyed That's So Raven seasons 1-3 and a little of season 4 (which was my least favorite). 2005 was the peak of Disney Channel, when That's So Raven season 3, Suite Life of Zack & Cody season 1, and Phil of the Future season 2 aired. You also had American Dragon season 1, Kim Possible So The Drama (the original finale) and The Proud Family Movie. It's very sad what Nick and CN have become when you compare the stations to how those used to be in the 2000's, but times have changed and kids' way of entertainment has changed too compared to us.

I was pretty much done with kid stations by late 2001, I held on a little bit because of Digimon Season 3 on Fox Kids & DBZ on toonami.
By early 2002 I threw them both in the bushes,  Nick & CN then became my focus and even then it was hit or miss, I would occasionally watch
Billy and Mandy, & Adult Swim at night  and anything Nick related had to be TeenNick oriented.  Even in the mid 2000s CN and Nick were both
doing pretty well. 2007 is the year of television where things ended  (king of Queens, Sopranos ) or got bland.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 11/18/18 at 12:31 am

With that being said I wouldn't say tv sucked in 07 because BET still had 106 and park, College Hill and Baldwin Hills premiered that year. VH1 had Flavor of Love. MTV still had Wlid n Out most of the year before getting canceled, . CW had The Game, Beauty and the Geek, wwe Snackdown, America Next Top Model and the sitcom Girlfriends were beginning it's final season. Tyler Perry had House of Payne. I would say 2007 was still enjoyable overall when it comes to reality shows and sitcoms but definitely fell in kids tv. 2009 was when I started to lose interest in tv all together and by mid 2010 I just started to spend most of my time on YouTube.

Written By: piecesof93 on 11/18/18 at 1:04 am

^^ BET was 100% becoming trash. 2007 is when they were attempting to become a "black MTV" and introduced all of these obscene reality shows that showed black people in a negative light. One show in particular that completely disgusted me was "Hot Ghetto Mess" hosted by Charlie Murphy. The addition of all of these ridiculous reality shows made me stop watching BET completely at that point. Even the Boondocks made an episode mocking BET and BET tried getting the episode banned. The only reality I liked was Hell Date. 106 lost Free & AJ, it was never really the same after that even though it was still enjoyable. Rap City were just airing reruns at this point. ANTM and Girlfriends were past their peaks. I would say TV decline significantly lol.

Written By: mqg96 on 11/18/18 at 1:10 am

With that being said I wouldn't say tv sucked in 07 because BET still had 106 and park, College Hill and Baldwin Hills premiered that year. VH1 had Flavor of Love. MTV still had Wlid n Out most of the year before getting canceled, . CW had The Game, Beauty and the Geek, wwe Snackdown, America Next Top Model and the sitcom Girlfriends were beginning it's final season. Tyler Perry had House of Payne. I would say 2007 was still enjoyable overall when it comes to reality shows and sitcoms but definitely fell in kids tv. 2009 was when I started to lose interest in tv all together and by mid 2010 I just started to spend most of my time on YouTube.

TBH since CW's debut in 2006 the network didn't become good until Arrow premiered in 2012. You could also say The Vampire Diaries in 2009 for those who were into the show, but with Arrow in 2012 when the Arrowverse began that's when you really had something entertaining to watch on CW and when Flash came out in 2014 it was on. Unfortunately both shows aren't the same anymore IMO.  :-\\\

I'm with you on MTV, but most people I talked to enjoyed 106 & Park the best when AJ & Free were on there. Our main generation was into MTV for Jersey Shore (duh) how many times do I have to say this.  ;D

I wasn't heavy into WWE growing up but the Attitude Era and Ruthless Aggression Era were great. Those were the last good eras before it completely fell off with that sheeshty PG era. Although, I still pay attention to some DIVAS today, because.... you know.....

Written By: mqg96 on 11/18/18 at 1:12 am

But yeah, the last few years of WB and the first few years of CW sucked IMO.

Written By: Howard on 11/18/18 at 7:05 am

I started to lose interest in cartoons after a certain time and after that I turned my attention to watching the news and some politics.

Written By: Howard on 11/18/18 at 7:08 am

TBH since CW's debut in 2006 the network didn't become good until Arrow premiered in 2012. You could also say The Vampire Diaries in 2009 for those who were into the show, but with Arrow in 2012 when the Arrowverse began that's when you really had something entertaining to watch on CW and when Flash came out in 2014 it was on. Unfortunately both shows aren't the same anymore IMO.  :-\\\

I'm with you on MTV, but most people I talked to enjoyed 106 & Park the best when AJ & Free were on there. Our main generation was into MTV for Jersey Shore (duh) how many times do I have to say this.  ;D

I wasn't heavy into WWE growing up but the Attitude Era and Ruthless Aggression Era were great. Those were the last good eras before it completely fell off with that sheeshty PG era. Although, I still pay attention to some DIVAS today, because.... you know.....

What women do you watch now? Bayley, Sasha Banks, Natalya, Tamina, Nia Jax?

Written By: mqg96 on 11/18/18 at 9:02 am

What women do you watch now? Bayley, Sasha Banks, Natalya, Tamina, Nia Jax?

I don't watch them (only short clips on YouTube once in awhile) but I follow them on Twitter and what they do in their personal lives. But yeah, Sasha Banks, The Bella Twins, Becky Lynch, and so forth.

Written By: Dundee on 11/18/18 at 10:30 am

TV was so much better during The 1980's.
The 80s were probably the worst decade for television, easily.

Written By: SpyroKev on 11/18/18 at 11:14 am

^^ BET was 100% becoming trash. 2007 is when they were attempting to become a "black MTV" and introduced all of these obscene reality shows that showed black people in a negative light. One show in particular that completely disgusted me was "Hot Ghetto Mess" hosted by Charlie Murphy. The addition of all of these ridiculous reality shows made me stop watching BET completely at that point. Even the Boondocks made an episode mocking BET and BET tried getting the episode banned. The only reality I liked was Hell Date. 106 lost Free & AJ, it was never really the same after that even though it was still enjoyable. Rap City were just airing reruns at this point. ANTM and Girlfriends were past their peaks. I would say TV decline significantly lol.

This is so accurate. BET lost what made it phenomenon when Viacom brought the network, making out to be a joke. Hell Date was enjoyable but it got stale for me. BET actually used to be a fascinating network with its own focus.

Written By: Howard on 11/18/18 at 1:46 pm

I don't watch them (only short clips on YouTube once in awhile) but I follow them on Twitter and what they do in their personal lives. But yeah, Sasha Banks, The Bella Twins, Becky Lynch, and so forth.

I do try to follow the product but lately it's been a bit bad.

Written By: Howard on 11/18/18 at 1:47 pm

Why was it? ???

Written By: John Titor on 11/18/18 at 2:02 pm

Smackdown was not watched by people at all in 2007 lol

RAw was tho

Written By: John Titor on 11/18/18 at 2:04 pm

This is around the time Viacom was going to cancel  TRL, Here is an article from early 2007

http://clizbeats.com/trl-canceled-jan-18-2007/

https://www.forbes.com/2007/02/15/mtv-trl-viacom-tech-media-cx_lh_0215mtv.html
Of course Viacom waited until 2008 to finally do it.

I remember shows like 106 & TRL were becoming quite boring at this time, Rap City was airing year old episodes on BET, it was becoming boring......really fast

Written By: mwalker1996 on 11/18/18 at 3:50 pm

Smackdown was not watched by people at all in 2007 lol

RAw was tho
I knew some people who still watched it at the time. Lots of people at my school and church would bring up smackdown with Edge being on there, Chris Benniot death and MVP being an arrogant jerk.

Written By: mqg96 on 11/18/18 at 3:55 pm

I do try to follow the product but lately it's been a bit bad.

Yeah like I said before, hasn't been the same since the end of the Ruthless Aggression into the PG era.

Written By: mqg96 on 11/18/18 at 3:58 pm

Compared to today it hasn't aged well, but while the 90's and most of the 00's were better, most people who grew up in the 80's would disagree with you. 80's television was excellent for its time. There's a lot of pop cultural stuff from the past that aren't good anymore, but were great back in the day as it was going on lively. Same goes for the N64 and a lot of N64 games.

Written By: mqg96 on 11/18/18 at 4:01 pm

2010's Netflix and other streaming apps have been the current golden age of entertainment. Come at me people! Oh, and it gets even better once you have Game of Thrones reruns on HBO Go!

Written By: John Titor on 11/18/18 at 4:41 pm

I knew some people who still watched it at the time. Lots of people at my school and church would bring up smackdown with Edge being on there, Chris Benniot death and MVP being an arrogant jerk.

I don't know anyone that watched WWE besides the years 1997-2002    & 2005/2006

After Beniot died mass hoards of people checked out

Written By: 2001 on 11/18/18 at 5:15 pm

That is around the time I stopped watching too.

Written By: mqg96 on 11/18/18 at 5:16 pm

He died on June 24, 2007. That makes sense because it was towards the end of the Ruthless Aggression Era and the start of the PG Era the following year. Makes sense.

Written By: Zelek3 on 11/19/18 at 1:43 am

Like I said before I think folks here are focusing more on the kids channels here, which did flatline in the late 2000s. It's often said that adult channels, by contrast, entered a new golden age in the late 2000s with shows like Breaking Bad and Mad Men.

Written By: Howard on 11/19/18 at 7:07 am

Yeah like I said before, hasn't been the same since the end of the Ruthless Aggression into the PG era.

I always enjoyed the golden era of wrestling compared to today's wrestling.

Written By: John Titor on 11/19/18 at 12:09 pm

Like I said before I think folks here are focusing more on the kids channels here, which did flatline in the late 2000s. It's often said that adult channels, by contrast, entered a new golden age in the late 2000s with shows like Breaking Bad and Mad Men.

Not exactly

MTV at the time axed the Original TRL
HBO was almost dead in 2008 due to Sopranos ending
AMC is the only one that was on the upswing
Vh1 was getting oversaturated with spin offs, it was nice for a few years but they over did it
Encore fell off hard
CW was pulling in poor ratings
Abc Family sucked
The OC ended on Fox and therefore ended the Surf culture that started in late  2002/2003 by Blue Crush
CBS ended King of Queens

It wouldn't be until Game of Thrones HBO would be on fire again which was like 2010/2011
Breaking Bad was not a hit out of the gate, it didn't get popular until 2012
MTV didn't fully recover until 2011

Written By: Dundee on 11/21/18 at 6:22 am

Compared to today it hasn't aged well, but while the 90's and most of the 00's were better, most people who grew up in the 80's would disagree with you. 80's television was excellent for its time. There's a lot of pop cultural stuff from the past that aren't good anymore, but were great back in the day as it was going on lively. Same goes for the N64 and a lot of N64 games.

Those aren't arguments, at all.
The 80s is a big wash of bland & sugary sitcoms, cheesy & annoying action shows and toy commercials disguised as cheap kid shows. There is a reason why the 90s and 00s saw a huge reaction against that with much more involved and conceptual tv shows focused on characterization instead of the special morals of the day.

The 50s and 60s were much better decades for tv too, airing some of the best dramas, westerns and mystery shows of all-time.

Written By: annimal on 11/21/18 at 10:49 am

maybe the wind blew them

Check for new replies or respond here...