inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When was Boomerang's peak to you?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/30/15 at 11:48 am

To me, their greatest years were around the mid 2000s. Still, they shown the same stuff until the rebrand happened in January of this year. All they show now is countless reruns of some of their current Cartoon Network shows, Tom and Jerry, Chowder and The Powerpuff Girls.

Subject: Re: When was Boomerang's peak to you?

Written By: mqg96 on 07/30/15 at 12:15 pm

Pretty much the WHOLE 2000's decade was the peak of Boomerang, including its blocks like Boomeraction, Boomeroyality, and those Medling Kids. The network was originally for old school classic Hanna-Barbera cartoons, WB/MGM cartoon shorts, and very little Cartoon Cartoon reruns. I can still remember when Boomerang was a Saturday/Sunday morning block on Cartoon Network back in the Powerhouse days as well, if I reminded my young self back then to wake up that early.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/30/15 at 1:06 pm

I'm also aware that they still show the Looney Tunes cartoons from the 40s, 50s and 60s.

Written By: Howard on 07/30/15 at 1:35 pm

I'm also aware that they still show the Looney Tunes cartoons from the 40s, 50s and 60s.

you mean the original episodes? ???

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/30/15 at 1:39 pm

you mean the original episodes? ???

Yeah. But I wouldn't say that they were actually episodes because most of them were around before television was popular. So they would use the cartoons in movie theaters before the feature actually starts.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/30/15 at 3:20 pm

Pretty much the WHOLE 2000's decade was the peak of Boomerang, including its blocks like Boomeraction, Boomeroyality, and those Medling Kids. The network was originally for old school classic Hanna-Barbera cartoons, WB/MGM cartoon shorts, and very little Cartoon Cartoon reruns. I can still remember when Boomerang was a Saturday/Sunday morning block on Cartoon Network back in the Powerhouse days as well, if I reminded my young self back then to wake up that early.

Yeah, the ENTIRE decade was the golden age for boomerang!!

Written By: #Infinity on 07/30/15 at 3:41 pm

I never got into any of the Boomerang shows aside from Merry Melodies and Looney Tunes, as children's shows has just gotten so much more original and cutting edge by the 90s, so I'd assume Boomerang's peak period was whenever they started featuring Cartoon Cartoons just as much as the 50s/60s stuff, but not when mid-late 2000s series like My Gym Partner's a Monkey arrived.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/30/15 at 3:45 pm

I never got into any of the Boomerang shows aside from Merry Melodies and Looney Tunes, as children's shows has just gotten so much more original and cutting edge by the 90s, so I'd assume Boomerang's peak period was whenever they started featuring Cartoon Cartoons just as much as the 50s/60s stuff, but not when mid-late 2000s series like My Gym Partner's a Monkey arrived.

You mean the original Cartoon Cartoons from the late 90s/early 2000s? Yeah, they shown a lot of them in the mid 2000s after they were cancelled. I think they still shown the PPG on Cartoon Network or something after they ended.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/30/15 at 8:02 pm

Like the others, the 2000s were the peak. It had everything to offer for a wide audience. Boomerang also had non-HB cartoons on the channel, but they were pre-90s. Even if most animation were the HB ones, they were awesome. They even had the ones that stopped being on CN after 2000.

This in bold. As someone who was an early bird, I was able to catch this every weekend before the block ended.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/30/15 at 8:50 pm

Like the others, the 2000s were the peak. It had everything to offer for a wide audience. Boomerang also had non-HB cartoons on the channel, but they were pre-90s. Even if most animation were the HB ones, they were awesome. They even had the ones that stopped being on CN after 2000.
This in bold. As someone who was an early bird, I was able to catch this every weekend before the block ended.

If I remember correctly, A Pup Named Scooby Doo aired on Boomerang and it had episodes that aired post-1990. So, they weren't anti-90s that much.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/30/15 at 9:24 pm

If I remember correctly, A Pup Named Scooby Doo aired on Boomerang and it had episodes that aired post-1990. So, they weren't anti-90s that much.
No. I didn't mean it that way. I meant that the channel catered to the shows being before 1990. However, you are right that some 80s shows had 90s episodes.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/31/15 at 4:26 pm

No. I didn't mean it that way. I meant that the channel catered to the shows being before 1990. However, you are right that some 80s shows had 90s episodes.

Well, they did air some pre-2004 Cartoon Network shows around the mid 2000s, like Dexter's Lab for example.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/31/15 at 7:12 pm

Well, they did air some pre-2004 Cartoon Network shows around the mid 2000s, like Dexter's Lab for example.
I think I recall seeing that show on there. I may have seen it on schedule as I had Cox at that time. They also had more of the pre-2000 cartoons on there around that same period as well.

Written By: SpyroKev on 06/27/16 at 5:13 pm

Haha How did I miss this thread. I first seen Boomerang in 2004. I personally never actually liked the network. The network feels purely Hanna Barbera. I'm glad they got rid of the old announcer. His voice was just, no. I always did wonder why the network was called Boomerang and not a classic Cartoon Network title. Cartoon Network Prime would have been brilliant with the old check board logo. Today, the network still fails. Its as if its confusing its self airing a good amount of shows that's still too recent. Its not making sense. Teen Titans Go should not be on the network. And Dragon Ball Z is missing. Not Kai. The only shows on the network today worth watching is Courage The Cowardly Dog and Pokémon.

Disney XD is actually doing a good job. The network feels close enough to classic Disney Channel. Its fun to watch and feels like Disney Channel 2003.

Written By: Zelek2 on 06/27/16 at 5:26 pm

2000-2007, when they had Looney tunes.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/27/16 at 5:49 pm

Haha How did I miss this thread. I first seen Boomerang in 2004. I personally never actually liked the network. The network feels purely Hanna Barbera. I'm glad they got rid of the old announcer. His voice was just, no.

But wasn't that point for Boomerang? To have an announcer to sound like he came from the 1950s, 1960s, and early 70s, since that's when Hanna Barbera used to be really popular by then? But it's your opinion, so I wouldn't argue so much about how the announcer sounded negative to you.

I always did wonder why the network was called Boomerang and not a classic Cartoon Network title. Cartoon Network Prime would have been brilliant with the old check board logo. Today, the network still fails. Its as if its confusing its self airing a good amount of shows that's still too recent. Its not making sense. Teen Titans Go should not be on the network. And Dragon Ball Z is missing. Not Kai. The only shows on the network today worth watching is Courage The Cowardly Dog and Pokémon.

You know, that could've been better than having Boomerang after 2015. Sure, that would've been bad for those watched Boomerang for a long time (especially me), but nowadays they barely show any Hanna Barbera cartoons that it shouldn't even called Boomerang anymore. Not to mention that they air mostly shows that didn't end yet. The point of Boomerang was to have shows from anyone's childhood to be aired, not from today's kids. It doesn't make any sense what so ever, but they did it anyway. Same with Nicktoons Network (after the 2009 rebrand), when they put in live-action programming on their channel, despite being called as Nicktoons.

Disney XD is actually doing a good job. The network feels close enough to classic Disney Channel. Its fun to watch and feels like Disney Channel 2003.

Despite the fact that it feels nothing like Disney Channel in 2003. If you were talking about the style of programming, then that's debatable. But I would even disagree on the style of programming, since Disney's programming in 2003 felt different from 2016. But even then, Disney XD feels way too modern to be like 2003 Disney Channel.

2000-2007, when they had Looney tunes.

They still aired Looney Tunes after 2007.

Written By: SpyroKev on 06/27/16 at 10:09 pm

But wasn't that point for Boomerang? To have an announcer to sound like he came from the 1950s, 1960s, and early 70s, since that's when Hanna Barbera used to be really popular by then? But it's your opinion, so I wouldn't argue so much about how the announcer sounded negative to you.

You know, that could've been better than having Boomerang after 2015. Sure, that would've been bad for those watched Boomerang for a long time (especially me), but nowadays they barely show any Hanna Barbera cartoons that it shouldn't even called Boomerang anymore. Not to mention that they air mostly shows that didn't end yet. The point of Boomerang was to have shows from anyone's childhood to be aired, not from today's kids. It doesn't make any sense what so ever, but they did it anyway. Same with Nicktoons Network (after the 2009 rebrand), when they put in live-action programming on their channel, despite being called as Nicktoons.

I respect the old announcer as a person, don't get me wrong. Hanna Barbera and actual Cartoon Network originals should be divided by blocks. Dexter's Laboratory is airing right now with in coming Grim Adventures of Billy And Mandy and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. I wish it could always be like that. Amazing how networks ignore their potentials.

Despite the fact that it feels nothing like Disney Channel in 2003. If you were talking about the style of programming, then that's debatable. But I would even disagree on the style of programming, since Disney's programming in 2003 felt different from 2016. But even then, Disney XD feels way too modern to be like 2003 Disney Channel.

I didn't speak for everyone. Disney XD definitely reminds me of Disney then. Something about Star Vs. The Forces of Evil and Wander Over Yonder really triggers it.

Written By: yelimsexa on 06/30/16 at 7:12 am

I always did wonder why the network was called Boomerang and not a classic Cartoon Network title. C

I always thought that the "Boom" was for the baby boomers who were the first generation to grow up with classic Hanna-Barbera classics, and during the early years of the channel (especially the Generation Jones portion of the generation) would have enjoyed their programming. However, I believe the name was inductive of an actual boomerang where seeing it the first time represents when you throw it, while seeing it again decades later is like when the weapon returns to your hand.

And Boomerang was actually with Cartoon Network from weekend one as a four-hour block. That said, its best years were clearly in the early-mid 2000s where it purely was the cartoon oldies station, with almost nothing past 1985 or so. I kind of compare this channel's decline to AMC, since originally this didn't have any third-party advertising and while the late '00s/early '10s were still decent and acknowledgable for adding some more recent shows like Pokemon or Cartoon Cartoons show, they still had a decent amount of classics mixed in and sort of view that as the channel's Silver Age. This all ended in 2014 when the regular commercial breaks had arrived and in early 2015, the spirit of the original channel's premise was finito, essentially becoming CN2.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/30/16 at 8:00 am

And Boomerang was actually with Cartoon Network from weekend one as a four-hour block. That said, its best years were clearly in the early-mid 2000s where it purely was the cartoon oldies station, with almost nothing past 1985 or so. I kind of compare this channel's decline to AMC, since originally this didn't have any third-party advertising and while the late '00s/early '10s were still decent and acknowledgable for adding some more recent shows like Pokemon or Cartoon Cartoons show, they still had a decent amount of classics mixed in and sort of view that as the channel's Silver Age. This all ended in 2014 when the regular commercial breaks had arrived and in early 2015, the spirit of the original channel's premise was finito, essentially becoming CN2.

I started having problems with Boomerang as early as 2011 or 2012, when Hole In The Wall and Almost Naked Animals were on there at the time, and while Boomerang then was no where near as bad as it became by June 2014, even then the classics started running lower than it was throughout the 2000's. I'd say 2009 or 2010 were the last years Boomerang was in its golden age. 2011-early 2014 was the silver age of the channel IMO.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/30/16 at 8:12 am

I didn't speak for everyone. Disney XD definitely reminds me of Disney then. Something about Star Vs. The Forces of Evil and Wander Over Yonder really triggers it.

I agree with SpyroKev 100%, since 2013, it's been Disney XD >> Cartoon Network >>>> Nickelodeon >> Disney Channel.

If there's any channel that has improved for kids over the last several years. It's Disney XD, and I think comparing 2016 Disney XD to 2003 Disney Channel is unfair because Disney Channel since the Zoog era has always appealed more to a female audience while XD has mostly been for the male audience since the channel's launch, although, that doesn't mean anybody can't enjoy it no matter what their gender is. I still enjoyed Disney Channel from 2002/03-2006 as equally as Cartoon Network from 2001-2006. However, Disney XD has an amazing lineup of cartoons for kids whether it's new episodes or reruns. It's the most diverse out of all the kids channels right now and it's been a lot better than it was during the first few years of its launch.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/30/16 at 9:10 am

I started having problems with Boomerang as early as 2011 or 2012, when Hole In The Wall and Almost Naked Animals were on there at the time, and while Boomerang then was no where near as bad as it became by June 2014, even then the classics started running lower than it was throughout the 2000's. I'd say 2009 or 2010 were the last years Boomerang was in its golden age. 2011-early 2014 was the silver age of the channel IMO.

I could agree with you on that. The early 2010s were basically the last enjoyable time for Boomerang, before CN rebranded the network. Although the last time I watched Boomerang regularly was in 2012, when I usually watched it for Almost Naked Animals (yes, I liked the show back then) and Pokemon reruns.

Check for new replies or respond here...