inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What was your favorite year in the 2000s?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/31/15 at 10:40 am

I feel like the 2000s had a great start for the 21st century. It wasn't like the Y2K rumors were actually true once the ball dropped on January 1, 2000. My favorite year of the 2000s was 2005. Everything was really cool for entertainment in 2005. I feel like that year gives me intense nostalgia whenever I think about it. So, what was your favorite year of the 2000s?

Subject: Re: What was your favorite year in the 2000s?

Written By: #Infinity on 07/31/15 at 1:01 pm

Probably 2002.  It was definitely the peak year of my childhood, and a lot of wonderful stuff came out of it, both as I remember and as I look back.  Cartoon Network peaked that year for me, as it had all of my favorite shows on the channel at once (PPG, Courage, Codename: Kids Next Door), and Yu-Gi-Oh! was also a fun craze back when it first came out.  2000s music was at its best in 2002, as that's when the Flaming Lips released Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, Eminem came out with The Eminem Show, Jimmy Eat World and John Mayer broke into mainstream fame, Avril Lavigne came out with her debut album, and Utada Hikaru released Deep River in Japan (I went through a Japanophile phase in the 2000s, and this is easily the best Japanese album I've ever heard).  Gaming was mostly still pretty good, as 2002 had Roller Coaster Tycoon 2, two excellent expansion packs for The Sims 1 (Vacation and Unleashed), and Dance Dance Revolution Extreme, the hallmark arcade release in the DDR series (2002 also had the first truly worthwhile US home ports, DDR Konamix and DDRMAX).  Geopolitically, there was still a lot of post-9/11 patriotism, but it didn't really interfere with my everyday life, aside from having to sing God Bless the USA for a talent show that year.  In general, 2002 was a truly colorful year and one that I will probably look fondly upon for the rest of my life.

Special mention also goes to 2009, the first year that 2010s culture really started to come in, but during a time when it was still fresh and intriguing.  Music was the best it had ever been since 2002, and YouTube was entering its golden age, with lots of great channels either emerging or maturing.  It was also the best year for both the Angry Video Game Nerd, as well as the Nostalgia Critic, my two favorite web series in high school and college, respectively (I didn't watch the latter regularly until right after high school, but the best episodes were from 2009).  The economy was not at its best at this time, but there was nonetheless a lot of anticipation of future in 2009 that has since died down.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/31/15 at 2:03 pm

Pop culturally I'd say my absolute favorite year of the 2000's decade that I experienced first hand with clear memory was definitely 2003. The very last year of the early 2000's but it went off with a BANG! 2002 came so close pop culturally but that's when the peak of my childhood took off, but 2003 it got better. Especially that summer. It started with my 7th birthday when I got a bunch of new lego toys and Hot Wheel cars, I also got my Planet Hot Wheels website membership that year and played with people around the world A LOT. I got my very first game console, the Gamecube and Super Smash Bros. Melee. I got a Gameboy Advance as well. Throughout that year especially that summer I'd build tons of Lego cars and Hot Wheel cars throughout that year. Cartoon Network was still in its golden age that year and my favorite Toonami lineup ever that year with TOM 3. As well as Disney Channel, Nickelodeon, Toon Disney, and Kids WB still being real gold with tons of great cartoons & sitcoms. The movies that year were really good like Pirates of the Caribbean, Spy Kids 3: Game Over, Finding Nemo, Lord of the Rings, Elf, Hulk, Freaky Friday, and much more. 2003 has a special place in my heart in terms of the pop culture geared towards kids, combining everything together into one this was the most epic year for me.

For my personal life, 2006. I was 10 at the time, one of the best years of my childhood, I finished 4th grade and started 5th grade this year, I got and Mario Kart DS, and it was around the time I first started online gaming and I loved the new VS. mode, retro courses, and mission mode on there. Summer 2006 I went to Disney World, it was a surprise trip and my parents didn't tell us, we stayed in a big Double Tree hotel room, and we went to the Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, MGM Studios, and that last park I always forget. I remember how awesome that Space Mountain ride was it was pretty fun. I remember going to this talent show around MGM Studios and it was a bunch of people performing stunts and stuff around the ring of fire, that was slick too. I remember how when we had to go on tours and rides, there were two different lines, one for fast pass tickets and the other regular line would take hours to wait if you didn't get a fast pass ticket. I remember the good restaurants as well, and all the pictures we took with the Mickey Mouse characters and stuff. I believe during 2006 I also experience my first trip to Dave & Busters, that was pretty fun as well. Savannah, GA, my first family reunion, my trip to the Aquarium in Atlanta, GA, and much more! Later this year for my DS I got New Super Mario Bros. (original) and Star Fox Command, and those games were pretty fye as well.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/31/15 at 2:07 pm

Probably 2002.  It was definitely the peak year of my childhood, and a lot of wonderful stuff came out of it, both as I remember and as I look back.  Cartoon Network peaked that year for me, as it had all of my favorite shows on the channel at once (PPG, Courage, Codename: Kids Next Door), and Yu-Gi-Oh! was also a fun craze back when it first came out. 2000s music was at its best in 2002, as that's when the Flaming Lips released Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, Eminem came out with The Eminem Show, Jimmy Eat World and John Mayer broke into mainstream fame, Avril Lavigne came out with her debut album, and Utada Hikaru released Deep River in Japan (I went through a Japanophile phase in the 2000s, and this is easily the best Japanese album I've ever heard).  Gaming was mostly still pretty good, as 2002 had Roller Coaster Tycoon 2, two excellent expansion packs for The Sims 1 (Vacation and Unleashed), and Dance Dance Revolution Extreme, the hallmark arcade release in the DDR series (2002 also had the first truly worthwhile US home ports, DDR Konamix and DDRMAX).  Geopolitically, there was still a lot of post-9/11 patriotism, but it didn't really interfere with my everyday life, aside from having to sing God Bless the USA for a talent show that year.  In general, 2002 was a truly colorful year and one that I will probably look fondly upon for the rest of my life.

Special mention also goes to 2009, the first year that 2010s culture really started to come in, but during a time when it was still fresh and intriguing.  Music was the best it had ever been since 2002, and YouTube was entering its golden age, with lots of great channels either emerging or maturing.  It was also the best year for both the Angry Video Game Nerd, as well as the Nostalgia Critic, my two favorite web series in high school and college, respectively (I didn't watch the latter regularly until right after high school, but the best episodes were from 2009).  The economy was not at its best at this time, but there was nonetheless a lot of anticipation of future in 2009 that has since died down.

PLEASE DON'T TELL ME ABOUT IT! 2002 Cartoon Network HANDS DOWN was the BEST YEAR in it's ENTIRE history. That year for the network was one of the biggest highlights of my childhood. Cartoon Cartoon Fridays, Primetime, Cartoon Theater, Toonami with TOM 2, and Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodie shorts is what I watched throughout that year especially that epic summer. 2003 is still my favorite year of the 2000's pop culturally, while 2006 was my favorite year personally. But for Cartoon Network, NOTHING touches the greatness 2002 impacted in my life. 

Written By: bchris02 on 07/31/15 at 3:33 pm

2003 and 2008.

Written By: Howard on 07/31/15 at 3:35 pm

I would say about 2004 cause that's when I started my 2nd relationship with a girl.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/31/15 at 8:09 pm

2003 and 2008.

2008 was okay. To me, it's like 2007 but with a few changes. Cartoon Network was still decent to me with Chowder, Flapjack, Class of 3000, Foster's, Skunk Fu, Total Drama Island, The Mr. Men Show and Billy and Mandy (due to Underfist showing around October of 2008). Nickelodeon was still kinda decent with Avatar, El Tigre and iCarly. Toon Disney (I honestly think Disney Channel sucked all the way, it was only good in the late 90s to the mid 2000s, and I vaguely remember it) still had Pucca and Yin Yang Yo to name a few examples.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/31/15 at 9:15 pm

2001 and 2003!!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/31/15 at 9:17 pm

PLEASE DON'T TELL ME ABOUT IT! 2002 Cartoon Network HANDS DOWN was the BEST YEAR in it's ENTIRE history. That year for the network was one of the biggest highlights of my childhood. Cartoon Cartoon Fridays, Primetime, Cartoon Theater, Toonami with TOM 2, and Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodie shorts is what I watched throughout that year especially that epic summer. 2003 is still my favorite year of the 2000's pop culturally, while 2006 was my favorite year personally. But for Cartoon Network, NOTHING touches the greatness 2002 impacted in my life. 

you could say 2002, but 2001 Cartoon Network my GOD it was great!!!!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/31/15 at 9:23 pm

Pop culturally I'd say my absolute favorite year of the 2000's decade that I experienced first hand with clear memory was definitely 2003. The very last year of the early 2000's but it went off with a BANG! 2002 came so close pop culturally but that's when the peak of my childhood took off, but 2003 it got better. Especially that summer. It started with my 7th birthday when I got a bunch of new lego toys and Hot Wheel cars, I also got my Planet Hot Wheels website membership that year and played with people around the world A LOT. I got my very first game console, the Gamecube and Super Smash Bros. Melee. I got a Gameboy Advance as well. Throughout that year especially that summer I'd build tons of Lego cars and Hot Wheel cars throughout that year. Cartoon Network was still in its golden age that year and my favorite Toonami lineup ever that year with TOM 3. As well as Disney Channel, Nickelodeon, Toon Disney, and Kids WB still being real gold with tons of great cartoons & sitcoms. The movies that year were really good like Pirates of the Caribbean, Spy Kids 3: Game Over, Finding Nemo, Lord of the Rings, Elf, Hulk, Freaky Friday, and much more. 2003 has a special place in my heart in terms of the pop culture geared towards kids, combining everything together into one this was the most epic year for me.

For my personal life, 2006. I was 10 at the time, one of the best years of my childhood, I finished 4th grade and started 5th grade this year, I got and Mario Kart DS, and it was around the time I first started online gaming and I loved the new VS. mode, retro courses, and mission mode on there. Summer 2006 I went to Disney World, it was a surprise trip and my parents didn't tell us, we stayed in a big Double Tree hotel room, and we went to the Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, MGM Studios, and that last park I always forget. I remember how awesome that Space Mountain ride was it was pretty fun. I remember going to this talent show around MGM Studios and it was a bunch of people performing stunts and stuff around the ring of fire, that was slick too. I remember how when we had to go on tours and rides, there were two different lines, one for fast pass tickets and the other regular line would take hours to wait if you didn't get a fast pass ticket. I remember the good restaurants as well, and all the pictures we took with the Mickey Mouse characters and stuff. I believe during 2006 I also experience my first trip to Dave & Busters, that was pretty fun as well. Savannah, GA, my first family reunion, my trip to the Aquarium in Atlanta, GA, and much more! Later this year for my DS I got New Super Mario Bros. (original) and Star Fox Command, and those games were pretty fye as well.

Gamecube was you first console!? Sweet!! :)  It was soo underrated!! My first was the N64 for my 4th birthday tho! 8)  I got the GBA in either 2001 or 2002 for my birthday! I guess everyone isn't a gamer at 4 or 5! lol  :)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/02/15 at 9:33 am

That's a though question. My first inclination, though, would be to pick 2000. To me, it marked the absolute peak of the "Y2K era", and was an awesome year for me personally. I still vividly remember staying up to midnight on January 1, 2000, fully believing that the world was about the come to an end, and being relieved when it didn't. I started my last year of junior high school that August, and spent my non class hours living the quintessential Y2K teen experience. Coming home every afternoon just in time to see the latest Creed video on TRL; flipping on my N64 or PlayStation and playing classics like Crash Bandicoot 3, Legend of Zelda: OOT, and Final Fantasy VIII; attempting to connect to the net on my terribly slow dial-up modem, surfing it with Netscape Navigator, and using old forgotten search engines like Ask Jeeves and Lycos; waiting for Monday nights to watch WWF Raw and hope that Stone Cold Steve Austin would soon return from his neck injury; going behind my parents back and staying up extra late to watch unedited episodes of Gundam Wing and Dragon Ball Z on Toonami's "Midnight Run"

2000 was also a very memorable year for world events. You had the landmark AOL-Time Warner merger, the Elian Gonzalez controversy, and the epic presidential campaign between George W. Bush and Al Gore, which was the first that I really paid close attention to. The Dot-Com bubble burst, but the good economy continued on for another year; the Baltimore Ravens all-time great defense led them to their first Super Bowl victory; The Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears and Limp Bizkit dominated the airwaves and "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?" became television's biggest show.

All in all, it was a pretty awesome time to be a 13-year-old kid. 8)

Written By: 97er on 08/03/15 at 1:56 pm

Mmmmm...hard to say. Probably 2008 just cuz a lot of good things happened that year. I'm a late 2000s kid so I don't really remember 2000-2003

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/03/15 at 2:04 pm

Mmmmm...hard to say. Probably 2008 just cuz a lot of good things happened that year. I'm a late 2000s kid so I don't really remember 2000-2003

Weren't you born in 1997 or something? So, you were a kid from 2001 to 2007, before you hit your preteen years.

Written By: 97er on 08/03/15 at 2:10 pm

Weren't you born in 1997 or something? So, you were a kid from 2001 to 2007, before you hit your preteen years.

I don't really remember much from 2001-2003. I only remember going to Blockbuster with my parents and siblings a lot. I also count ages 11 & 12 as kid years but that's just me.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/03/15 at 2:12 pm

I don't really remember much from 2001-2003. I only remember going to Blockbuster with my parents and siblings a lot. I also count ages 11 & 12 as kid years but that's just me.

Okay. I get that. Memory seems to work differently on everybody, so that's understandable.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/03/15 at 3:40 pm

No offense but you must have a terrible memory. What part of 1997 were you born in? And do you remember ANY of the pop culture geared towards kids that were relevant from 2001-2003? Like the movies, video games, cartoon shows/sitcoms, etc. Assuming that you started Kindergarten in late 2002 (at least here in the U.S.), I'd expect you to remember at least 2003 crystal clearly. I consider your early kid years to be from 3-5, your core kid years from 6-9, and your late kid years from 10-12. My early kid years were from 1999-2001, my core kid years were from 2002-2005, and my later kid years from 2006-2008 and I was born in early '96 btw. The peak of my childhood was like a mixture/hybrid of the early 2000's and mid 2000's. I don't consider the late 2000's as apart of my core kid years, I consider that as my late childhood/preteen/early teen years.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 08/03/15 at 3:54 pm

No offense but you must have a terrible memory. What part of 1997 were you born in? And do you remember ANY of the pop culture geared towards kids that were relevant from 2001-2003? Like the movies, video games, cartoon shows/sitcoms, etc. Assuming that you started Kindergarten in late 2002 (at least here in the U.S.), I'd expect you to remember at least 2003 crystal clearly. I consider your early kid years to be from 3-5, your core kid years from 6-9, and your late kid years from 10-12. My early kid years were from 1999-2001, my core kid years were from 2002-2005, and my later kid years from 2006-2008 and I was born in early '96 btw. The peak of my childhood was like a mixture/hybrid of the early 2000's and mid 2000's. I don't consider the late 2000's as apart of my core kid years, I consider that as my preteen/early teen years.

I guess it depends on a person to person basis. Btw how do you feel about the late 2000's? It seems like we always talk about the early & mid parts of the decade but I don't think we ever talked about the late part before...

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 08/03/15 at 3:56 pm

To answer the question, it all depends. If its pop culture you're talking about than 2003 or 2004 would be my favorite years of the decade. However for my personal life, 2004 or 2006.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/03/15 at 4:04 pm

To answer the question, it all depends. If its pop culture you're talking about than 2003 or 2004 would be my favorite years of the decade. However for my personal life, 2004 or 2006.

My favorite years pop culturally (this includes the Internet and music) would be 2006 or 2007, but for my personal life, it would definitely be 2005 (besides for my grandpa dying, but I had a wonderful time in Virginia).

Written By: mqg96 on 08/03/15 at 4:05 pm

I guess it depends on a person to person basis. Btw how do you feel about the late 2000's? It seems like we always talk about the early & mid parts of the decade but I don't think we ever talked about the late part before...

The late 2000's were really bad for me in general, the only good part about it was Spring 2007 and Summer 2009, I loved all the trips I went to throughout the 1st half of 2007 and Summer 2009 was awesome because I went to Savannah, GA again, I went to this HUGE party in my family cause she was moving up north, and a bunch of neighbors from her house came over and I made friends with many folks and a couple of nice girls too lol, and I stayed in a huge hotel at St. Simons Island, GA. It was a really fun summer, but the MUSIC from 2009 was pretty good though. Other than that, my middle school life was terrible, going through puberty and getting adjusted to a whole new environment, it sucked. 2008 was boring as hell, it was a huge cultural shift that year and ever since then it seems like we've been in a similar era, well of course 2015 is a whole different ballgame from 2008 but you see what I mean. Things started improving for me in 2010 once I left middle school and went on to high school. Honestly I consider my main kid years to be from August 2001-May 2007, 2002-2006 being in that core, I'd be lying to myself to not include 2006 in one of my peak years because Summer 2006 was the best time of my childhood in my personal life. 6-10 just sounds right for me. My peak started in 2001 when I was 5 but 2001 as a full year was when I was transitioning out from early childhood to my core childhood. 2002 was real epic because really in all honesty it's the 1st FULL year from the start of that year to finish that my childhood was in my peak full time, and have so many fun memories from all the vacations I went to and the movies and TV shows I watched throughout 2002, including my aunt's wedding as well.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/03/15 at 4:13 pm

Pop culturally I loved 2001-2003 for almost everything that was relevant at the time. 2004 was great for my personal life and the movies & video games that came out that year as well. See I really think that 2001 was the year the early 2000's culture really defined itself, plus many other stuff that would define the 2000's decade as well. Yes 9/11 may have happened that year which was really tragic, but pop culturally I praise 2001 for setting up the peak of my childhood in general. Movies like Shrek, Spy Kids, The Fast and the Furious, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Monster's Inc, Jurassic Park III, and Lord of the Rings were really epic from that year. The year that 6th generation gaming was in full effect with Gamecube, PS2, and XBOX with hit games like Super Smash Bros. Melee and Grand Theft Auto III. There's a lot more to it. Without 2001 you don't get all of the greatness from 2002 & 2003 and even 2004 as well in terms of pop culture. But I'll say one thing, without 2001 we don't have 9/11 either....

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 08/03/15 at 4:23 pm

The late 2000's were really bad for me in general, the only good part about it was Spring 2007 and Summer 2009, I loved all the trips I went to throughout the 1st half of 2007 and Summer 2009 was awesome because I went to Savannah, GA again, I went to this HUGE party in my family cause she was moving up north, and a bunch of neighbors from her house came over and I made friends with many folks and a couple of nice girls too lol, and I stayed in a huge hotel at St. Simons Island, GA. It was a really fun summer, but the MUSIC from 2009 was pretty good though. Other than that, my middle school life was terrible, going through puberty and getting adjusted to a whole new environment, it sucked. 2008 was boring as hell, it was a huge cultural shift that year and ever since then it seems like we've been in a similar era, well of course 2015 is a whole different ballgame from 2008 but you see what I mean. Things started improving for me in 2010 once I left middle school and went on to high school. Honestly I consider my main kid years to be from August 2001-May 2007, 2002-2006 being in that core, I'd be lying to myself to not include 2006 in one of my peak years because Summer 2006 was the best time of my childhood in my personal life. 6-10 just sounds right for me. My peak started in 2001 when I was 5 but 2001 as a full year was when I was transitional out from early childhood to my core childhood years. 2002 was real epic because really in all honesty it's the 1st FULL year from the start of that year to finish that my childhood was in my peak full time, and have so many fun memories from all the vacations I went to and the movies and TV shows I watched throughout 2002, including my aunt's wedding as well.

I see, yeah the late 2000's were bittersweet for me. Pop culture wise it sort of sucked especially music, with some exceptions. TV started to go downhill around this time, sitcoms were dead AF around 2008, and many of my favorite kid channels were in bad slumps during this time. However my personal life during this time was decent.

Summer of 2007 was probably the last summer that I consider as my childhood. It was pretty fun. But I agree with you Summer of 2006 was much better. And I wouldn't be lying if I use the years 2001-2005/6 to define my peak because of it.

Middle school sucked for me, big time. And of course in the world of politics George W. Bush's policies of war and economics were backfiring on him, so much so that it led to the Great Recession of 08-09. Though Barack Obama got elected in 08 so that was good. However it didn't take too long for me to realize that the problem with our government is not the president but the entire system. From lobbyists, to Super PACS, 'Too Big Too Fail' banks, and of course regulation. Because of this I'm not the biggest Obama fan as I was back in 08-10', not because I hate him but I feel he hasn't done much to change our current corrupt government system, which IMO is very important. Infact that was his campaign motto in 08', but it seems like he fell back on most of his proposed policies. Is he better than Bush? Yeah, but honestly not by much. Sorry about that long political rant lol

And yeah I agree 2008-today has a very similar worldview. We are now just recovering from the recession but with the recent reports of a bond bubble among us I'm not very optimistic economic wise. However pop culture wise, ever since 2013 things have improved at least IMO, plus the 10's are now starting to have an identity which I like. If things like this continue at this rate the 10's might be better than the 00's

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/03/15 at 5:06 pm

I see, yeah the late 2000's were bittersweet for me. Pop culture wise it sort of sucked especially music, with some exceptions. TV started to go downhill around this time, sitcoms were dead AF around 2008, and many of my favorite kid channels were in bad slumps during this time. However my personal life during this time was decent.

Summer of 2007 was probably the last summer that I consider as my childhood. It was pretty fun. But I agree with you Summer of 2006 was much better. And I wouldn't be lying if I use the years 2001-2005/6 to define my peak because of it.

Middle school sucked for me, big time. And of course in the world of politics George W. Bush's policies of war and economics were backfiring on him, so much so that it led to the Great Recession of 08-09. Though Barack Obama got elected in 08 so that was good. However it didn't take too long for me to realize that the problem with our government is not the president but the entire system. From lobbyists, to Super PACS, 'Too Big Too Fail' banks, and of course regulation. Because of this I'm not the biggest Obama fan as I was back in 08-10', not because I hate him but I feel he hasn't done much to change our current corrupt government system, which IMO is very important. Infact that was his campaign motto in 08', but it seems like he fell back on most of his proposed policies. Is he better than Bush? Yeah, but honestly not by much. Sorry about that long political rant lol

And yeah I agree 2008-today has a very similar worldview. We are now just recovering from the recession but with the recent reports of a bond bubble among us I'm not very optimistic economic wise. However pop culture wise, ever since 2013 things have improved at least IMO, plus the 10's are now starting to have an identity which I like. If things like this continue at this rate the 10's might be better than the 00's

Meh, the early 2010s aren't really that nostalgic to me. Personally, that portion was a piece of crap, since I had to deal with puberty and bullying problems. Especially for 2012. Not just personally, but pop culturally as well. It was just annoying that these godforsaken people can actually put their twerking sheesh on the radio, especially for Nicki Minaj. It was also the year when the Aurora movie theater, George Zimmerman and Sandy Hook elementary school shootings happened, along with Hurricane Freaking Sandy. Why would anybody need to be nostalgic over 2012? WHY?!

Written By: Arrowstone on 08/03/15 at 5:26 pm

2002 was a good year with good music, also the last year of Cartoon Network where I live; I'm happy that my core childhood was in the y2k era.

2007 was ok too; when rock still ruled and hair was big and money was not a problem. Was a good time to be in my teenhood.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/03/15 at 5:29 pm

2002 was a good year with good music, also the last year of Cartoon Network where I live; I'm happy that my core childhood was in the y2k era.

2007 was ok too; when rock still ruled and hair was big and money was not a problem. Was a good time to be in my teenhood.

Where do you live in Europe?

Written By: Arrowstone on 08/03/15 at 5:35 pm

Where do you live in Europe?

The Netherlands; I'm lucky.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/03/15 at 5:39 pm

The Netherlands; I'm lucky.

Why would you say that you're lucky?

Written By: Arrowstone on 08/03/15 at 5:53 pm

Why would you say that you're lucky?

Well, if I had to choose a European country to live in, it would either be in Western or in Northern Europe, and I live in both, it's better to be right now than in Greece for example.
But let's not go off topic now.

2008 had some interesting atmosphere too, despite the crisis. You could just feel that people wanted to change things.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 08/03/15 at 8:10 pm

Meh, the early 2010s aren't really that nostalgic to me. Personally, that portion was a piece of crap, since I had to deal with puberty and bullying problems. Especially for 2012. Not just personally, but pop culturally as well. It was just annoying that these godforsaken people can actually put their twerking sheesh on the radio, especially for Nicki Minaj. It was also the year when the Aurora movie theater, George Zimmerman and Sandy Hook elementary school shootings happened, along with Hurricane Freaking Sandy. Why would anybody need to be nostalgic over 2012? WHY?!

Hence why I said since 2013 things have been improving lol

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/03/15 at 8:42 pm

Hence why I said since 2013 things have been improving lol

2013 was a weak year in the 2010s. It was just the same sheesh that 2011 and 2012 had, but nothing new. Hell, I even started to get nostalgic over the 2000s on that year.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/03/15 at 10:31 pm

2013 was a weak year in the 2010s. It was just the same sheesh that 2011 and 2012 had, but nothing new. Hell, I even started to get nostalgic over the 2000s on that year.

I disagree, I think 2013 is the definitive year of the decade so far, and about the time the early 2010s fully transitioned into the mid-2010s.  It had the final season of Breaking Bad, the disco revival, the breakthrough of Netflix original series like Orange Is the New Black and House of Cards, Frozenmania, the landmark Supreme Court decision in the legalization of gay marriage, the initial breakthrough of transgender issues into the mainstream, and the true beginning of the eighth generation of video gaming.  Whether or not you're a fan of what the year produced is a matter of opinion, but I personally think the year had enough new culture to distinguish itself from 2009-2012.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/03/15 at 10:38 pm

I disagree, I think 2013 is the definitive year of the decade so far, and about the time the early 2010s fully transitioned into the mid-2010s.  It had the final season of Breaking Bad, the disco revival, the breakthrough of Netflix original series like Orange Is the New Black and House of Cards, Frozenmania, the landmark Supreme Court decision in the legalization of gay marriage, the initial breakthrough of transgender issues into the mainstream, and the true beginning of the eighth generation of video gaming.  Whether or not you're a fan of what the year produced is a matter of opinion, but I personally think the year had enough new culture to distinguish itself from 2009-2012.

I don't know about you since you were in college at the time, but coming from somebody who spent his high school years from late 2010-early 2014. There was DEFINITELY a cultural shift from the 2011-2012 school year to the 2012-2013 school year. I noticed it in terms of fashion and certain fad's. It seemed like around the 2012-2013 school year facebook's max popularity had died out and twitter had got real popular, and everybody has been wearing whatever they want to now with wacky hairstyles.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/03/15 at 11:06 pm

I don't know about you since you were in college at the time, but coming from somebody who spent his high school years from late 2010-early 2014. There was DEFINITELY a cultural shift from the 2011-2012 school year to the 2012-2013 school year. I noticed it in terms of fashion and certain fad's. It seemed like around the 2012-2013 school year facebook's max popularity had died out and twitter had got real popular, and everybody has been wearing whatever they want to now with wacky hairstyles.

2012 was when the utter neutrality of early 2010s fashion first began to fade out, but the decade's definitive looks are much more prevalent now than it was previously.  2012, in my opinion, feels like the elder stage of early 2010s culture, when Lady Gaga and Kesha were beyond their prime, popular web series like Smosh, ERBOH, and the Nostalgia Critic were declining in quality, and the economy was just showing early signs of recovery, not to mention the reelection of Barack Obama put a real damper on the already imploding Tea Party movement.  2013, however, was when most of the key franchises, films, and superstars first became popular.  It was that year that Ariana Grande and Lorde broke into mainstream popularity, Pharrell Williams became a full-on superstar and not just one half of the Neptunes and a popular guest in urban, House of Cards became the premier television show in place of Breaking Bad, and sexual assault protests became a really significant issue on college campuses.  The early 2010s were a laid-back and exciting time of technological marvel and impassioned social discussions, now we're in a wasteland of stagnant technology, overbearing political correctness, and a culture of conformity disguised as one of acceptance.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/03/15 at 11:54 pm

popular web series like Smosh, ERBOH, and the Nostalgia Critic were declining in quality

What are your thoughts on AVGN and nostalgia critic today?

Written By: #Infinity on 08/04/15 at 12:09 am

What are your thoughts on AVGN and nostalgia critic today?

AVGN is still really good, but it's evident that James Rolfe isn't fully committed to it now the way he was in the late 2000s.  As great as episodes like Tiger Electronics Games and AVGN Games! are, the rate of new material has dramatically decreased since the beginning of this decade.  On top of all of that, James has a kid to raise now, he finally released the feature film (thus fulfilling a major obligation tied to the show), and his focus seems to have shifted towards James & Mike Mondays, Board James, and other miscellaneous projects.

The Nostalgia Critic was starting to show very obvious signs of wear in 2012, when the jokes had lost steam and Doug began relying more on crossovers, but things got especially rotten after he revived the series with Malcolm Ray and Rachel Tietz/Tamara Chambers as show regulars.  It just seems as though in compensation for the original series' staleness in 2012, the Nostalgia Critic has just gotten a lot more hipster, elaborating analyzing current social trends rather than making fun of the ridiculous absurdities from late 80s and 90s TV and cinema.  Oh yeah, let's not forget those painfully unfunny skits that now take up half the episode on most occasions, a contrived way of sort of keeping Demo Reel alive in spite of that show's failure.

Written By: Arrowstone on 08/04/15 at 6:23 am

2013 was chilll, with music like

Imagine Dragons - Radioactive
Justin Timberlake - Mirrors
Pink - Just Give Me a Reason
Bruno Mars - When I Was Your Man
id. - Locked Out Of Heaven
Rihanna - Stay
Daft Punk+Pharrell - Get Lucky

seems like adult pop music.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 08/04/15 at 10:21 am

IKR! I think of the 2012-2013 school year in the same way as the 1996-1997 school year, both were huge transitions in culture.

96-97 saw the re-election of Clinton, 12-13 saw the re-election of Obama.

96-97 was the final school year that the 4th generation did ok in as 5th generation was gradually being pushed in the release of PSX, N64, & Saturn, 12-13 was the last full school year of 7th generation and the 8th was already being pushed in with the Wii U and the announcements of PS4 & Xbox One.

96-97' was the last school year when Gen X pop culture (albeit late X culture) like Grunge & Gangsta Rap did well with youth at the time however ever since the 97-98' school year Teen Pop & Party Rap was all the rage, 12-13' was the last school year when Gen Y pop culture (albeit late Y culture) like Electropop & Snap/Party Rap did well with youth at the time however ever since the 13-14' school year EDM & Dubstep has been all the rage.

This is evidenced by during the 96-97 year when many Gen X musicians and bands like Soundgarden gettting disbanded, people like Madonna started to lose their edge, & gangsta rap role models like Tupac & Biggy both died this year.

The same could be said with 12-13' as electropop icons like Kesha & Lady Gaga were declining in popularity, rappers like Lil Wayne, Jay Z & Eminem while they still made great music during this time (and still do) it was pretty obvious they were past their prime, & Gen Y stars like Britney Spears were declining in popularity.

96-97 also was the first year that the internet started to become a household name, 12-13' was the first year when smartphones were a standard.

I could go on and on; but I think you guys get the point.

96-97 was the last Gen X school year with Gen Y culture phasing in very quickly.

12-13' was the last Gen Y school year with Gen Z culture phasing in very quickly

97-98 was the first Gen Y school year and the last to have some X Culture left

13-14 was the first Gen Z school year and the last to have some Y Culture left

How do you guys feel about this?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/04/15 at 10:51 am

IKR! I think of the 2012-2013 school year in the same way as the 1996-1997 school year, both were huge transitions in culture.

96-97 was the final school year that the 4th generation did ok in as 5th generation was gradually being pushed in the release of PSX, N64, & Saturn, 12-13 was the last full school year of 7th generation and the 8th was already being pushed in with the Wii U and the announcements of PS4 & Xbox One.

96-97' was the last school year when Gen X pop culture (albeit late X culture) like Grunge & Gangsta Rap did well with youth at the time however ever since the 97-98' school year Teen Pop & Party Rap was all the rage, 12-13' was the last school year when Gen Y pop culture (albeit late Y culture) like Electropop & Snap/Party Rap did well with youth at the time however ever since the 13-14' school year EDM & Dubstep has been all the rage.

This is evidenced by during the 96-97 year when many Gen X musicians and bands like Soundgarden gettting disbanded, people like Madonna started to lose their edge, & gangsta rap role models like Tupac & Biggy both died this year.

The same could be said with 12-13' as electropop icons like Kesha & Lady Gaga were declining in popularity, rappers like Lil Wayne, Jay Z & Eminem while they still made great music during this time (and still do) it was pretty obvious they were past their prime, & Gen Y stars like Britney Spears were declining in popularity.

96-97 also was the first year that the internet started to become a household name, 12-13' was the first year when smartphones were a standard.

96-97 was the last Gen X school year with Gen Y culture phasing in very quickly.

12-13' was the last Gen Y school year with Gen Z culture phasing in very quickly

//
I felt like 2012 was a transistional year too, with all of the late 2000s culture dying out.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 08/04/15 at 11:06 am

//
I felt like 2012 was a transistional year too, with all of the late 2000s culture dying out.

True! 2012 & 2013 were transitional years. Especially the 2012-2013 school year. Since the 2013-1014 school year we have been in the cultural 'peak' 2010's

Written By: #Infinity on 08/04/15 at 12:48 pm

I agree 1996-1997 in general was a transitional school year, but I think the transition into mid-2010s culture is a little later and blurrier than you state.

The Wii U's launch was a colossal failure, in the same way the Saturn and even PS1 had weak launches in 1995.  It was really late 2013, when PS4 and XBOX One got released and the 3DS and Wii U finally had a fair amount of killer apps, that the eighth generation of gaming truly kicked off.

Also, the transition from the fourth generation to the fifth was pretty much primarily concentrated in the last third of 1996.  The 1995-1996 school year already saw some developments, thanks to the releases of the Saturn and PS1, announcement of the Nintendo 64, and decline of the Sega Genesis, but the releases of Super Mario 64, Crash Bandicoot, and Tomb Raider in late '96 very quickly eroded the popularity of the Super Nintendo, which had continued to dominate the gaming world in the 1995-1996 school year with beloved titles like Donkey Kong Country 2 and Yoshi's Island.  About the only significant fourth generation game released during the 1996-1997 school year was Donkey Kong Country 3, which is the most forgotten of the trilogy, anyway, even though it sold over two million cartridges.  By the beginning of 1997, there were no longer notable SNES games coming out and the fifth generation had completely taken centre stage.

I don't quite understand get what you mean here.  Isn't EDM pretty much just an interchangeable term with electropop?  Second, dubstep was mostly a 2011 fad; it still has some influence today, but it certainly isn't a definitively mid-2010s subgenera of music.  I honestly don't think the type of music that's popular now is any different from 2010, it's just that it's more watered down and repetitive.

I think smartphones were standard a little sooner than 2012-2013, although I got my first iPhone coming into that school year.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 08/04/15 at 11:44 pm

I don't quite understand get what you mean here.  Isn't EDM pretty much just an interchangeable term with electropop?  Second, dubstep was mostly a 2011 fad; it still has some influence today, but it certainly isn't a definitively mid-2010s subgenera of music.  I honestly don't think the type of music that's popular now is any different from 2010, it's just that it's more watered down and repetitive.

I think smartphones were standard a little sooner than 2012-2013, although I got my first iPhone coming into that school year.

Yeah what I meant by electropop was the type of sound and style of music from 2008-2012ish. Since 2013 EDM has gotten very big, electropop pratically evolved into it. However, like you said its a little more waterd down than electropop. In a similar way as party rap from the late 90's was just a water down version of the gangsta rap of the early-mid 90's. Its not the exact same but they have similar characteristics but they are still pretty different as well.

Also on smartphones what I meant was that 2012-2013 was the first school year where you needed a smartphone. Upto that point most people still carried standard flip phones or maybe a Blackberry at best as their smart phone, however this changed around 2012 when the iphone 4s was at its peak in popularity and android phones like the Galaxy were gaining traction. By late 2012 smartphones were a neccessity.

Written By: Arrowstone on 08/05/15 at 3:59 am

It's the dancepop that seems to be replaced by EDM; no Gaga or Kesha, but Calvin Harris or whatever dj.
The electropop (which I view more like synthpop) like Ariane Grande is still going strong.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/05/15 at 12:32 pm

2007 was my favourite year of the 2000s.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/09/15 at 7:42 pm

2007 was my favourite year of the 2000s.

Oh, 2007 was my second-favorite year pop-culture wise in the 2000s. I discovered YouTube that year and it was awesome. Better than what we have with Google taking over the website when everybody was forced to use Google+.

Written By: tv on 08/09/15 at 8:50 pm

Nah, Madonna was pretty popular in 1998 with her album "Ray Of Light". That's actually when I liked Madonna the most. I think she was still popular in 2002 but after that not so much. I remember she had hits like "Beautiful Stranger" and "Music" in 2000 I think. She also had hits like "Don't Tell Me" " Die Another Day" and "What It Feels Like For a Girl" in the early 2000's(had to look at Wikipedia for those 3 songs.) By 2005 when her CD "Confessions on a Dance Floor" was released she wasn't that popular anymore even though "Hung Up" peaked at #7 on the Billboard Hot 100. To be honest though even other Pop Artists who came out more recently than Madonna in the 2003-mid 2005 era saw their popularity decline like Britney Spears and Pink! because of rap music like Kanye West and 50 Cent being all over the place at that time. It just wasn't Madonna in her music genre whose popularity suffered at that time. Madonna's popularity has never gone back up ever since then though.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/09/15 at 9:44 pm

Nah, Madonna was pretty popular in 1998 with her album "Ray Of Light". That's actually when I liked Madonna the most. I think she was still popular in 2002 but after that not so much. I remember she had hits like "Beautiful Stranger" and "Music" in 2000 I think. She also had hits like "Don't Tell Me" " Die Another Day" and "What It Feels Like For a Girl" in the early 2000's(had to look at Wikipedia for those 3 songs.) By 2005 when her CD "Confessions on a Dance Floor" was released she wasn't that popular anymore even though "Hung Up" peaked at #7 on the Billboard Hot 100. To be honest though even other Pop Artists who came out more recently than Madonna in the 2003-mid 2005 era saw their popularity decline like Britney Spears and Pink! because of rap music like Kanye West and 50 Cent being all over the place at that time. It just wasn't Madonna in her music genre whose popularity suffered at that time. Madonna's popularity has never gone back up ever since then though.

Hung Up was actually a gigantic hit worldwide; the United States was like the only territory where it didn't chart at #1.  Its parent album earned rave reviews from critics, who hailed it a creative comeback after the lackluster American Life.  Let's not forget, either, 4 Minutes, from early 2008.  Madonna's permanent decline was really after she left Warner Bros.

I also wouldn't call 2003-2005 a vacant period for pop divas, even if they were becoming more urban at the time.  Beyoncé's solo debut came out in mid-2003, Britney had In the Zone later that year, and Mariah Carey had The Emancipation of Mimi in 2005.

Written By: tv on 08/09/15 at 11:05 pm

Hung Up was actually a gigantic hit worldwide; the United States was like the only territory where it didn't chart at #1.  Its parent album earned rave reviews from critics, who hailed it a creative comeback after the lackluster American Life.  Let's not forget, either, 4 Minutes, from early 2008.  Madonna's permanent decline was really after she left Warner Bros.

I also wouldn't call 2003-2005 a vacant period for pop divas, even if they were becoming more urban at the time.  Beyoncé's solo debut came out in mid-2003, Britney had In the Zone later that year, and Mariah Carey had The Emancipation of Mimi in 2005.
Oh yeah Mariah's comeback album how did I forget that? Forgot about Beyoncé too. Britney's popularity started to drop in 2001 because "Britney" her 2001 CD sold 4 million and "In The Zone" sold 3 million so I was wrong her popularity wasn't because of rap becoming popular in 2003. Her first CD "Baby One More Time" sold 12 million and her 2nd CD "Oops I Did It Again" sold 10 million.

Written By: Howard on 08/10/15 at 2:47 pm

Oh, 2007 was my second-favorite year pop-culture wise in the 2000s. I discovered YouTube that year and it was awesome. Better than what we have with Google taking over the website when everybody was forced to use Google+.

I liked 2005 cause that's when I discovered YouTube.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/10/15 at 3:20 pm

I liked 2005 cause that's when I discovered YouTube.

What was it like in 2005 with YouTube? I discovered the site in 2007, if you were wondering.

Written By: Howard on 08/10/15 at 3:44 pm

What was it like in 2005 with YouTube? I discovered the site in 2007, if you were wondering.

YouTube first debuted and it was a website that you can watch and create your own videos, it has been on the web for 10 years now.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/10/15 at 4:09 pm

YouTube first debuted and it was a website that you can watch and create your own videos, it has been on the web for 10 years now.

No, I meant what did it look like in 2005?

Written By: Howard on 08/11/15 at 2:27 pm

No, I meant what did it look like in 2005?

http://media2.s-nbcnews.com/j/reuters/2007-03-13t134224z_01_nootr_rtridsp_3_business-viacom-youtube-dc.grid-6x2.jpg
This was YouTube in 2005.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/11/15 at 3:09 pm

http://media2.s-nbcnews.com/j/reuters/2007-03-13t134224z_01_nootr_rtridsp_3_business-viacom-youtube-dc.grid-6x2.jpg
This was YouTube in 2005.

Oh, it's just like YouTube in 2007/8.

Written By: Howard on 08/11/15 at 3:13 pm

Oh, it's just like YouTube in 2007/8.

and now they made it more simple.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/11/15 at 3:33 pm

I made my first YouTube account in early 2006. I miss those days. :(

Written By: 80sfan on 08/12/15 at 12:05 am

Oh yeah Mariah's comeback album how did I forget that? Forgot about Beyoncé too. Britney's popularity started to drop in 2001 because "Britney" her 2001 CD sold 4 million and "In The Zone" sold 3 million so I was wrong her popularity wasn't because of rap becoming popular in 2003. Her first CD "Baby One More Time" sold 12 million and her 2nd CD "Oops I Did It Again" sold 10 million.

RIAA is about shipment, Soundscan is about real CD sales.

Here's Britney's real CD sales in America.

1st album- 10.6 million
2nd album- 9.211 million
3rd album- 4.4 million
4th album- 3 million

Written By: 80sfan on 08/12/15 at 12:06 am

2004, for personal reasons.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/12/15 at 12:09 am

When did she leave Warner Bros?

Written By: 80sfan on 08/12/15 at 12:14 am

You can all obviously tell that I'm a huge Britney Spears fan. I like her even though she had a huge breakdown for like 3 years or whatever!  ;D

Written By: #Infinity on 08/12/15 at 12:16 am

When did she leave Warner Bros?

Hard Candy was the last album released as part of her contract with Warner Bros., so after 2008.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/12/15 at 12:20 am

^ ^

Oh yeah, I remember how MDNA dropped down the charts in the 2nd week. And I'm not even a Madonna hater.

Written By: Howard on 08/12/15 at 2:59 pm

I made my first YouTube account in early 2006. I miss those days. :(

I made mine in 2005.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/13/15 at 2:09 pm

I made mine in 2005.

When was it deleted?

Written By: Howard on 08/13/15 at 2:43 pm

When was it deleted?

I still have mine, it's just that sometimes if you get 200 videos some videos get deleted or they just disappear.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/18/15 at 12:02 pm

bORRM0LNa6s
great year for movies, I can remember hearing this music around stores or restaurants that were really awesome, this is when my core childhood years really took off

1ooNsuPrNhc
best year of the 2000's decade, one of the greatest years for movies, awesome TV shows that premiered, the video games that came out were epic, a really chillaxing summer at the time

jhsma3rHxWI
a really good year for movies, 6th generation gaming at its peak, and for my personal life Jamaica was really awesome!

YFchddTfo3o
another great year for movies, the last great year TV was at its peak IMO, swimming at the YMCA was really fun

1ZB4e4-2io0
*cough* *cough* *cough* bleeehhh, anyways, nothing much about the pop culture that year, but THANKFULLY my personal life was epic throughout this year thanks to Disney World!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/18/15 at 9:50 pm

Malcom In The Middle, but it declined a lot in quality after season five.

This is a thread about your favorite years in the 2000s, not your favorite shows. But, why do you think Malcolm in the Middle declined a lot in quality after season five?

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/28/15 at 8:29 pm

I'm noticing a lot of topics I want to properly responded to, but usually already responded in other similar threads in a basically instinct. As I think about it, I don't really care to have a favorite. I don't know. Probably 2001 or 2004. I just loop majority of the 2000s into a big golden or silver era.

At this rate, my active days and threads here should be numbered since I'm not a debate type. I just want to share as much knowledge as I can. I don't see any new worthy memories being created without that special someone in my life due to all this tech I can't avoid.

Written By: Catherine91UK on 09/29/15 at 2:34 pm

I think 2005 was my favourite year of my personal life in the 2000s. I had settled into high school, made new friends and had a crush, although by the end of the year I no longer fancied him! I think the only thing that would have made the year better would've been if I had actually got together with my crush. I think he knew I liked him, but he showed no signs of liking me back!

Written By: violet_shy on 09/29/15 at 2:46 pm

I am going to say, for me it was 2005. I also liked 2007.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 08/09/16 at 1:42 am

I really like 2003 for some reason, despite the fact that I was only 4 at the time. Maybe it's because 2003 is the first year that I can remember a lot of things really vividly and I can vividly remember the latest songs, tv shows, movies (and just the general culture) at the time. My favourite childhood album, "Meteora" by Linkin Park, was also released in 2003. I remember it was only released a few weeks after my 4th birthday.

I like 2008 and 2009 as well, however it's from a different point of view. I don't really care about the music or kids shows that were popular at the time.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/09/16 at 9:12 am

I really like 2003 for some reason, despite the fact that I was only 4 at the time. Maybe it's because 2003 is the first year that I can remember a lot of things really vividly and I can vividly remember the latest songs, tv shows, movies (and just the general culture) at the time. My favourite childhood album, "Meteora" by Linkin Park, was also released in 2003. I remember it was only released a few weeks after my 4th birthday.

I like 2008 and 2009 as well, however it's from a different point of view. I don't really care about the music or kids shows that were popular at the time.

2003 was an amazing time for me. The vibe of fresh air. I stayed at home for most of the summer and participated in a lot of pop culture inside and outside.

Written By: 2001 on 08/09/16 at 9:26 am

2000! That year was very fun, and has a lot of personality! The music, the video games, the TV shows, POKÉMON. Unforgettable.

Honourable mention to 2003. I had a lot of fun with my friends that year.

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/09/16 at 4:49 pm

Hard to say for me. In terms of pop culture I like 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, and maybe 2004. Hard to choose just one. Although in terms of personal life 2005 was REALLY good.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/13/16 at 10:06 am

I really like 2003 now, to. There is something about the year I can't fully grasp.
2003 was an amazing time for me. The vibe of fresh air. I stayed at home for most of the summer and participated in a lot of pop culture inside and outside.

The vibe of 03 was so on point. It felt badass, relaxing and fun all together. School for me during then was historic. Definitely a feel I ultimately miss.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/14/16 at 11:18 am

My favourite year of the 2000s is 2007.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/14/16 at 11:23 am

I just realized that I somehow have a passion with 2004 more than 2005. Although, they're both my favorite years of the 2000s.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/14/16 at 2:27 pm

My favourite year of the 2000s is 2007.

2007 was my favorite year of the LATE 2000's!  :)

Written By: Slim95 on 08/14/16 at 4:56 pm

2007 was my favorite year of the LATE 2000's!  :)

I really enjoyed that year both personally and culturally.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/15/16 at 12:26 am

Pop culture.....

From best (top) to worst (bottom).

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/15/16 at 1:00 am

Mid 01 - Mid 03. 2005....

Written By: John Titor on 06/24/17 at 7:10 pm

I feel like the 2000s had a great start for the 21st century. It wasn't like the Y2K rumors were actually true once the ball dropped on January 1, 2000. My favorite year of the 2000s was 2005. Everything was really cool for entertainment in 2005. I feel like that year gives me intense nostalgia whenever I think about it. So, what was your favorite year of the 2000s?

2005 and 2006

Written By: 2001 on 06/24/17 at 7:24 pm

2000! That year was very fun, and has a lot of personality! The music, the video games, the TV shows, POKÉMON. Unforgettable.

Honourable mention to 2003. I had a lot of fun with my friends that year.

My answer is still 2000. Listening to songs from the early 2000s puts me in my happy place :)

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/24/17 at 10:09 pm

2000-2002 are the only 00's years I like. ;)

Written By: Shemp97 on 06/25/17 at 9:43 pm

2007. Best year for mainstream music and especially HipHop since 2004. And best year for music since.
Video games floored me that year, so many instant classics. Great movies too.
Everything felt so upbeat and lively. People seemed happier.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/26/17 at 1:42 am

2007 was my favourite personal year but pop culturally the best year is 2000.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/26/17 at 5:58 am

2007 (just for something different :P).

Written By: Lizardmatum on 06/26/17 at 9:06 am

2009 ....(please don't kill me) my life was at its happiest back then and I liked the new emerging atmosphere, music and fashion of the time

Written By: 80sfan on 06/26/17 at 2:29 pm

2001 was awesome.  8)

Written By: 2001 on 06/26/17 at 10:39 pm

2009 ....(please don't kill me) my life was at its happiest back then and I liked the new emerging atmosphere, music and fashion of the time

If we could split into sub years, then I would agree with you, late 2009 was dope. Early 2009 was pop culturally good too, I was going through a rough spot though, personally.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/26/17 at 10:57 pm

2009 got people shook. Must have been the psychological effects of the 2008/2009 crash! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/korn0818/ATRL_Smilies_All/atrlers/jonny_zpsc73391c5.png http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/korn0818/ATRL_Smilies_All/atrlers/jonny_zpsc73391c5.png

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 06/27/17 at 8:12 am

I'll say 2007-09 was the best part of my life so far (age 8-10, I know, it's sad), and if I had to choose a year, I guess I'd choose 2008. This is just based on my personal life, not pop culture, I still am undecided on that.

Written By: John Titor on 12/30/17 at 10:08 pm

Probably 2002.  It was definitely the peak year of my childhood, and a lot of wonderful stuff came out of it, both as I remember and as I look back.  Cartoon Network peaked that year for me, as it had all of my favorite shows on the channel at once (PPG, Courage, Codename: Kids Next Door), and Yu-Gi-Oh! was also a fun craze back when it first came out.  2000s music was at its best in 2002, as that's when the Flaming Lips released Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, Eminem came out with The Eminem Show, Jimmy Eat World and John Mayer broke into mainstream fame, Avril Lavigne came out with her debut album, and Utada Hikaru released Deep River in Japan (I went through a Japanophile phase in the 2000s, and this is easily the best Japanese album I've ever heard).  Gaming was mostly still pretty good, as 2002 had Roller Coaster Tycoon 2, two excellent expansion packs for The Sims 1 (Vacation and Unleashed), and Dance Dance Revolution Extreme, the hallmark arcade release in the DDR series (2002 also had the first truly worthwhile US home ports, DDR Konamix and DDRMAX).  Geopolitically, there was still a lot of post-9/11 patriotism, but it didn't really interfere with my everyday life, aside from having to sing God Bless the USA for a talent show that year.  In general, 2002 was a truly colorful year and one that I will probably look fondly upon for the rest of my life.

Early 2002 and then Late 2006, will agree with you Early 2002 had this LOVELY feel to it
Jan 2002- March 2002 was like POP culture in a bottle

Written By: Rainbowz on 12/30/17 at 10:41 pm

Music-wise, 2003 was the best IMO.

Written By: John Titor on 12/30/17 at 10:45 pm

Music-wise, 2003 was the best IMO.

yikes

Written By: Longaotian00 on 12/30/17 at 10:49 pm

yikes

?? 2003 isn't my favourite but it was still good ???

Written By: John Titor on 12/31/17 at 10:32 am

The stand out years that were of TOP NOTCH quality

2002- Early 2002 to be exact

Written By: Lizardmatum on 12/31/17 at 12:11 pm

2009 for me. Saved the best for last and went out with a bang!

Written By: violet_shy on 12/31/17 at 12:26 pm

2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008. I miss my 20s. I had more fun in my 20s than I did in my teens. If I was given a chance to go back to the year 2005 I would go back in a second. I was 25, and I did the most amazing things! If I could re-live my 20s I definitely would!

Written By: John Titor on 03/28/18 at 6:00 pm

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/28/18 at 6:28 pm

2000 - 2005.

I'll put emphasis on 2004/2005 because those years were almost the perfect medium between the early and late 2000s. Technology was advancing and we were in the 2.0 web era. More people had broadband, leaving dial-up behind and DVDs replaced VHS tapes.

Social media was still popular but not overbearing like it is today. The internet seemed less populated to me and our culture did not revolve around it. There was still diversity in music, although most mainstream music had an urban leaning. I love urban music so that was fine by me. Also, we were still in the female pop rock era with artists like Kelly Clarkson, Skye Sweetnan, Avril Lavgine, and Ashlee Simpson. As a young girl, the female pop rock era was very enjoyable for me.

Some really good R&B was released during those years as well. And let's not forget Kanye West. He released two classic Hip-Hop albums and produced some great songs for other artists outside of rap/hip-hop.

I do miss the mid 2000s.

Written By: SailorSteven2017 on 03/28/18 at 6:42 pm

It's either 2008 or 2009.... I'm going with 2009 because that year was just innocent and silly for me! Nothin' On You and Hey, Soul Sister take me back to that year each time I hear it. Specifically, I remember being late for my graduation from kindergarten and running through the crowd, only to be the student that stands at the front of their class.  :) Good times!

Written By: John Titor on 03/28/18 at 6:59 pm

It's either 2008 or 2009.... I'm going with 2009 because that year was just innocent and silly for me! Nothin' On You and Hey, Soul Sister take me back to that year each time I hear it. Specifically, I remember being late for my graduation from kindergarten and running through the crowd, only to be the student that stands at the front of their class.  :) Good times!

2009 the year the nuclear reset button hit the 2000s LOL

still going with 2005

Written By: Dundee on 03/29/18 at 4:30 am

Pop culture.....

From best (top) to worst (bottom).

Lol what a pointless ranking, just say it got progressively worse to save your time ::)

Written By: Dundee on 03/29/18 at 4:43 am

Anyway if you want a point-of-view on the decade from a 2000s kid here it is :)

2000-2001: Vague/scattershot memories, I remember I didn't enjoy preschool back then because the kids were still strangers to me. As a very young child you don't understand the concept of "enjoying the moment" yet.

2002-2004: Best. Era. Ever. Basically the peak of my childhood as I was fully into toys, vhs and friends at school. Plus it was the start of my elementary school carreer which was easily my favorite time of school.

2005-2007: When I got my sister and it definitely was a life-changing experience. Got more into resposabilities. I still tried to get into toys and stuff, but I felt things changed and was myself more serious and less carefree. At least video games were still there for me!

2008-2009: The era I definitely tried to be mature and grown up as I was heading to middle school, even though back then I knew I still had to enjoy my childhood as much as I still possibly could.

Written By: Wobo on 03/29/18 at 5:41 am

2008-2009 because I have memories from those years.

Written By: Dr. Mario on 03/31/18 at 3:22 pm

2007!

Written By: Balty Raven on 03/31/18 at 3:28 pm

After two and a half years, I would say that 2005 and 2007 are ties for my favorite years in the 2000s. Especially when both of those years had a significant part to me personally.

Check for new replies or respond here...