inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Emo vs scene??

Written By: 97er on 08/03/15 at 1:59 pm

Emo was more dark and mid 2000s right?

Scene was more colorful and late 2000s right?

I don't remember much cuz I was 8-12 during the later half of the 2000s. I remember my brother had that choppy hairstyle and so did his friends in high school though lol (2010 grads).

Subject: Re: Emo vs scene??

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 08/03/15 at 2:18 pm

From what I remember The Emo subculture was most popular from 2004-2009, with 2007 being the peak of the trend. If you had a myspace back in the mid-late 00's like I did you would notice that their profiles usually had pretty dark imagery and their profile photos (the term selfie didn't exist back then) usually were pretty dark as well with black eyeshadow, plain expressions, etc.

The Scene subculture was most popular from 2007-2012 with its peak year being 2010. Like you said scene kids generally wore brighter colors. Many claim that the scene culture was a predecessor to the hipster culture that emerged around 2011.

Written By: 97er on 08/03/15 at 2:36 pm

From what I remember The Emo subculture was most popular from 2004-2009, with 2007 being the peak of the trend. If you had a myspace back in the mid-late 00's like I did you would notice that their profiles usually had pretty dark imagery and their profile photos (the term selfie didn't exist back then) usually were pretty dark as well with black eyeshadow, plain expressions, etc.

The Scene subculture was most popular from 2007-2012 with its peak year being 2010. Like you said scene kids generally wore brighter colors. Many claim that the scene culture was a predecessor to the hipster culture that emerged around 2011.

Lol I would always watch my older brother whenever he would be on MySpace. I remember helping him pick out his layout and we chose one that had a drawing of an emo kid with a gun to his head and a broken heart. He also put some Panic at the Disco song as his profile song.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 08/03/15 at 2:43 pm

Lol I would always watch my older brother whenever he would be on MySpace. I remember helping him pick out his layout and we chose one that had a drawing of an emo kid with a gun to his head and a broken heart. He also put some Panic at the Disco song as his profile song.

Lol those were the days! Yeah myspace was my first social media site, I got in fall of 08' (right around when facebook was starting to take over) and I used regularly throughout 7th & early 8th grade. Then around fall of 09' I got a facebook and by spring of 2010 facebook has been my main social media site ever since

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/12/15 at 6:49 pm

I don't remember seeing emo as big in the mid 2000's. The late years I do recall seeing teens in public wearing the emo style instead of the more nondescript style called "mall goth." Pop punk wasn't emo, hardcore bands fall more in line with that.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/15/15 at 7:52 pm

Emo was more of a fad in the mid-late 2000s. Scene is just an obscure fad that only a few people remember.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/15/15 at 8:46 pm

Where I lived, 2008 was all about scene.  A lot of people did and still do use emo and scene interchangeably but there were a few differences.  Emo peaked in the mid-late 2000s and scene peaked definitively in 2008 and wasn't quite as dark as emo.  Both were gone by 2011.

All Time Low is an excellent representation of scene culture.  Great music that really exemplifies what rock was in the late '00s.

GcNiKCmWdYE

Check for new replies or respond here...