inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I miss the old Youtube

Written By: joeman on 08/03/15 at 9:53 pm

I remember when Youtube first came out.  I was like 20 or 21 years old.  When I first visited the site, I LITERALLY CAN SEE ANY VIDEO.  This site was amazing and I would literally spend hours on there.  Plus, there weren't commercials like they are today.

I still put a few times in youtube, but I miss the old youtube.  I dunno about you, but when I first saw the website I couldn't believe my eyes.  Before, if you wanted to see videos and films, you had to know how to torrent or go to those obscure unsafe sites for them.

I say Youtube was a good defining moment of the 2000s.

Subject: Re: I miss the old Youtube

Written By: #Infinity on 08/03/15 at 10:26 pm

Well, the newer developments are a mixed bag.  On one hand, yes, I despise waiting through commercials, but on the other, it's really nice that HD format and longer runtimes are available, making the site good as more than just a more accessible outlet for crude, grainy, homemade projects like Numa Numa.  Now there's a wide variety of interesting, sophisticated channels and media outlets, even though I personally the peak for this was in 2009-2011.  I just wonder how much the site will evolve as Netflix continues to grow in popularity and build upon its features.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/03/15 at 10:41 pm

Well, the newer developments are a mixed bag.  On one hand, yes, I despise waiting through commercials, but on the other, it's really nice that HD format and longer runtimes are available, making the site good as more than just a more accessible outlet for crude, grainy, homemade projects like Numa Numa.  Now there's a wide variety of interesting, sophisticated channels and media outlets, even though I personally the peak for this was in 2009-2011.  I just wonder how much the site will evolve as Netflix continues to grow in popularity and build upon its features.

Although I thought Youtube was pretty cool during its early days from 2006-2008 as well when it wasn't HD and the rules weren't so strict back then. But yeah 2009-2011 was a pretty good time for Youtube as well.

Written By: Arrowstone on 08/04/15 at 6:25 am

It's now filled with fake-happy vloggers.

Written By: yelimsexa on 08/04/15 at 6:32 am

I also miss the looser copyright restrictions back then. Nowadays, every video is virtually Russian roulette towards a possible shutdown. I still upload numerous classic TV shows (and commercials!) to a few channels that I have and out of the three (along with another on Dailymotion) have over 700 videos of footage on them. Its the closest thing you'll find to a time machine if you want to relive classic media content. Even old radio shows and airchecks are also featured. I find Dailymotion useful due to the looser copyright laws. Here, there are very few automatic blocks (you know, the yellow triangles and red/white exclamations), and in case your video gets taken down automatically, instead of getting a copyright strike, you simply can't upload for 24 hours, a small penalty compared to six months for a copyright strike with the "three strikes" rule in addition.

I honestly see YouTube being with us for quite sometime since not only I continue to serve the site's purpose, but you can control stuff what can be viewed/released compared to Netflix/other streaming sites lite Hulu. It is better today in some ways since in the early days, video quality wasn't as good, there was a 10-minute limit to videos, and you can always get an automatic ad blocker. There is always still some good stuff going on even if it increasingly is becoming sensationalist in terms of some of the uploaders. Of course on YouTube itself, you can always search some videos of what the site looked like in the past!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/04/15 at 7:29 am

YouTube was a great website during the late 2000s. I also remember when they only allowed videos that were up to 10 minutes, especially for 15 minutes. I'm okay with having people uploading videos that are longer than 15 minutes, because that's something YouTubers wanted for the past five years. But what made YouTube awful was Google+. Ever since that stupid social network launched, YouTube has been plagued by having users forced to use Google+ on everything. It was a major pain in the ass to everybody who used YouTube up to this day. They recently announced that Google is going to get rid of Google+ services on YouTube, but I don't see the changes.

Written By: Howard on 08/04/15 at 1:26 pm

I remember when Youtube first came out.  I was like 20 or 21 years old.  When I first visited the site, I LITERALLY CAN SEE ANY VIDEO.  This site was amazing and I would literally spend hours on there.  Plus, there weren't commercials like they are today.

I still put a few times in youtube, but I miss the old youtube.  I dunno about you, but when I first saw the website I couldn't believe my eyes.  Before, if you wanted to see videos and films, you had to know how to torrent or go to those obscure unsafe sites for them.

I say Youtube was a good defining moment of the 2000s.

I miss the old YouTube format myself.

Written By: Howard on 08/04/15 at 1:27 pm

It's now filled with fake-happy vloggers.

and dumb commercials.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 08/04/15 at 1:28 pm

YouTube was a great website during the late 2000s. I also remember when they only allowed videos that were up to 10 minutes, especially for 15 minutes. I'm okay with having people uploading videos that are longer than 15 minutes, because that's something YouTubers wanted for the past five years. But what made YouTube awful was Google+. Ever since that stupid social network launched, YouTube has been plagued by having users forced to use Google+ on everything. It was a major pain in the ass to everybody who used YouTube up to this day. They recently announced that Google is going to get rid of Google+ services on YouTube, but I don't see the changes.

What's the purpose of Google Plus anyway? ::)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/04/15 at 1:47 pm

What's the purpose of Google Plus anyway? ::)

The purpose of Google+ was to get Google users to become more social, by using it to have access on other Google services like YouTube and Gmail. But nobody likes it because not only that you have to use it on everything Google owns, but you have to use either your full name or some other username that has two spaces.

Written By: Howard on 08/04/15 at 2:25 pm

The purpose of Google+ was to get Google users to become more social, by using it to have access on other Google services like YouTube and Gmail. But nobody likes it because not only that you have to use it on everything Google owns, but you have to use either your full name or some other username that has two spaces.

I do the same thing.  ::)

Written By: Slim95 on 08/05/15 at 12:39 pm

Same. The late 2000's were the golden years of YouTube in my opinion. You had all the content you can ask for but didn't get the negatives that come with it like the overuse of ads and the dumb Google+ system. You also had a mix of independent content and people weren't as money hungry on YouTube back then. I miss the old YouTube a lot. Now you just have mediocre vloggers who just want to make dime.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/05/15 at 12:42 pm

Same. The late 2000's were the golden years of YouTube in my opinion. You had all the content you can ask for but didn't get the negatives that come with it like the overuse of ads and the dumb Google+ system. You also had a mix of independent content and people weren't as money hungry on YouTube back then. I miss the old YouTube a lot. Now you just have mediocre vloggers who just want to make dime.

Me too. I can agree that YouTube is now infected with bullcrap vloggers/lets players who try to make stupid videos by being funny. The only good let's player IMO is ChuggaConroy and I've been loving his videos ever since 2009.

Written By: Howard on 08/05/15 at 2:00 pm

Me too. I can agree that YouTube is now infected with bullcrap vloggers/lets players who try to make stupid videos by being funny. The only good let's player IMO is ChuggaConroy and I've been loving his videos ever since 2009.

only the stupidest videos gets ratings. ::)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/05/15 at 3:32 pm

only the stupidest videos gets ratings. ::)

And they get the most views on YouTube.

Written By: Howard on 08/06/15 at 3:29 pm

And they get the most views on YouTube.

and you wonder why people don't post anything interesting these days. ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/15 at 5:21 pm

Too many subjects and themes have already been covered.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/06/15 at 5:38 pm

Well, there could be something interesting that's posted on YouTube. You just need to find it somewhere.

Written By: Howard on 08/07/15 at 7:42 am

Too many subjects and themes have already been covered.

sometimes people can get their 15 minutes of fame to post on YouTube.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/15 at 7:44 am

sometimes people can get their 15 minutes of fame to post on YouTube.
...and 15 minutes is all they get?

Written By: Howard on 08/07/15 at 8:34 am

...and 15 minutes is all they get?

probably more than 15 minutes.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/15 at 8:39 am

probably more than 15 minutes.
...or two lots of 7½?

Written By: Howard on 08/07/15 at 4:56 pm

...or two lots of 7½?

and some of them now have their very own channel which could gets lots of views.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/07/15 at 4:57 pm

and some of them now have their very own channel which could gets lots of views.

You mean the videos? Yeah, a certain topic can actually get auto-generated into its own channel.

Written By: Howard on 08/08/15 at 7:46 am

You mean the videos? Yeah, a certain topic can actually get auto-generated into its own channel.

and now if you want to keep watching videos and you like it you can subscribe to the channel and the person running the channel will send you videos in your subscription box for free.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/08/15 at 9:58 am

and now if you want to keep watching videos and you like it you can subscribe to the channel and the person running the channel will send you videos in your subscription box for free.

Don't they do that ever since YouTube was publicly launched with the subscriptions?

Written By: Howard on 08/08/15 at 2:49 pm

Don't they do that ever since YouTube was publicly launched with the subscriptions?

Yes, they do. I have a wrestling channel that I have subscribed to for 4 years, I like this guy and he used to have over 40,000 subscribers till someone flagged him down for false advertising in his videos, he got kicked off but eventually came back and started a brand new channel.

Written By: Shemp97 on 08/10/15 at 9:36 pm

Op would spend hours on there? I agree that it was great back in the 00s and second other's points, but the benefits of 2010s youtube are HD/4K formats, no video length restrictions making TV/movie watching practical, bigger user-base, and actual established channels.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/10/15 at 9:59 pm

Op would spend hours on there? I agree that it was great back in the 00s and second other's points, but the benefits of 2010s youtube are HD/4K formats, no video length restrictions making TV/movie watching practical, bigger user-base, and actual established channels.

Okay, I can agree that with no video length restrictions allow movies and TV episodes to be watchable, but not all of them. It's not like all shows and movies can easily get through YouTube's copyright system, so it's a risk whenever you upload that kind of material.

Written By: Howard on 08/11/15 at 2:25 pm

They improved YouTube over the past couple of years.

Written By: Shemp97 on 08/11/15 at 2:33 pm

Okay, I can agree that with no video length restrictions allow movies and TV episodes to be watchable, but not all of them. It's not like all shows and movies can easily get through YouTube's copyright system, so it's a risk whenever you upload that kind of material.

Copyright seems to always have plague Youtube, possibly more so now than back then. I remember searching for Goosebumps episodes back in 2007 as a way to get my nostalgia fix and test the versatility of this newfangled site and had trouble not only with the length restrictions forcing the uploader to post the episodes in parts, but the sheer few results that came up with Goosebumps episodes. All in all, I left disappointed with Youtube for reasons that would be unheard of today.

Written By: Howard on 08/12/15 at 3:05 pm

and now with YouTube if you have over 200 videos on your channel, most of them will be deleted.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/12/15 at 3:19 pm

and now with YouTube if you have over 200 videos on your channel, most of them will be deleted.

Don't they have tons of channels of where it has over 200 videos, and none of them get deleted?

Written By: Howard on 08/12/15 at 4:19 pm

Don't they have tons of channels of where it has over 200 videos, and none of them get deleted?

I think there's a limit.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/12/15 at 4:29 pm

I think there's a limit.

I don't think there's a limit into uploading videos on YouTube.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/15 at 4:36 pm

Is there a fee for a higher limit?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/12/15 at 4:41 pm

I honestly don't think that there's a limit on uploading videos on YouTube. I've uploaded over 130 videos on my YouTube channel, and I don't seem to worry about some limit stopping me.

Written By: Howard on 08/13/15 at 2:52 pm

I have 2 folders one is my Jamminoldies where I can store my favorite tunes from the good old days and the other are my favorites where I can store over 200.

Written By: Howard on 08/13/15 at 2:53 pm

No it's all free.

Check for new replies or respond here...