inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did you first use the internet?

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 08/04/15 at 11:22 am

Personally for me I remember hearing the dial up sound a lot from my early childhood years. However I personally didn't use the internet myself until 2001 or 2002 and even then I would only play flash games on the interwebs. My family eventually got broadband in 2003 along with Windows XP but I still preffered to play outside or sometimes play Solitaire on the computer. I didn't use the internet regularly like I do today until 2005 or 2006

Subject: Re: When did you first use the internet?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/04/15 at 11:53 am

The first time that I went on the Internet was around 2003. I had Windows ME at the time and I would just play Sesame Street games. Then I played games on PBS Kids and Nick Jr's websites a short time later.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 08/04/15 at 11:57 am

The first time that I went on the Internet was around 2003. I had Windows ME at the time and I would just play Sesame Street games. Then I played games on PBS Kids and Nick Jr's websites a short time later.

Thats cool. Do you remember dial up by any chance?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/04/15 at 11:59 am

I think I remember hearing a dial-up noise once around 2003, but that was about it. My family switched to broadband around 2004, since I loved using the Internet back then.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 08/04/15 at 12:06 pm

I think I remember hearing a dial-up noise once around 2003, but that was about it. My family switched to broadband around 2004, since I loved using the Internet back then.

Thats cool! Yeah when my family switched in 2003 I was heavily relieved

Written By: Arrowstone on 08/04/15 at 12:16 pm

2000! dial-up until 2003.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/04/15 at 12:24 pm

I think I first used the Internet in 2000/2001, but I would have to ask my parents permission to use it, since I was only eight at the time and I had to use their computer.  I think by 2002, I was browsing the web regularly.

Written By: Howard on 08/04/15 at 1:24 pm

Personally for me I remember hearing the dial up sound a lot from my early childhood years. However I personally didn't use the internet myself until 2001 or 2002 and even then I would only play flash games on the interwebs. My family eventually got broadband in 2003 along with Windows XP but I still preffered to play outside or sometimes play Solitaire on the computer. I didn't use the internet regularly like I do today until 2005 or 2006

I remember getting the internet but I didn't quite use it until the early 2000's.

Written By: Howard on 08/04/15 at 1:24 pm

I remember dial-up, it took forever to get on the internet!

Written By: Catherine91UK on 08/04/15 at 2:03 pm

Late 1999, I think. I used it at school first, then we got dial-up at home in 2000 and switched to broadband in 2005.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/04/15 at 5:34 pm

I think sometime in 2000/01 as my family had gotten it earlier in 1999. I began using the Internet first with AOL and didn't use much often until 2006.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 08/04/15 at 10:30 pm

Very late 1998.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/05/15 at 12:34 pm

I was like 3 or 4 years old so I barely remember but probably around 1998. I think this should be on the 1990's forum because most people first used the internet in the 90's.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/05/15 at 1:14 pm

I was like 3 or 4 years old so I barely remember but probably around 1998. I think this should be on the 1990's forum because most people first used the internet in the 90's.

Well, the Internet started to gain its peak around the late 90s/early 2000s. So, it's okay for this thread to be on the 2000s forum.

Written By: Howard on 08/05/15 at 1:59 pm

Well, the Internet started to gain its peak around the late 90s/early 2000s. So, it's okay for this thread to be on the 2000s forum.

I started using it in the early 2000's.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/15 at 2:01 pm

I started using it in the early 2000's.
I was about then, using Internet Cafes.

Written By: Arrowstone on 08/05/15 at 2:50 pm

About half of the people (in the west) did not have it before 2000.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/05/15 at 2:59 pm

About half of the people (in the west) did not have it before 2000.

Really? I thought most people got it in the late 90s but it was just really slow. I know it started in 1996 and that's when people started hearing about it. Interesting.

Written By: Howard on 08/05/15 at 3:17 pm

I was about then, using Internet Cafes.

I think I used to use Internet cafes but they weren't for long periods.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/15 at 3:18 pm

I think I used to use Internet cafes but they weren't for long periods.
Maximum one hour at a time.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/05/15 at 4:23 pm

The first time I ever used the internet was at my cousin's house in early November 1998, and the first website I went to was for the video game magazine Game Pro so I could look up information on Zelda:OOT, which was just about to come out at that time. We didn't get internet access at our house until March 2000, but even after that I rarely used it, because our dial-up service was just terrible. It would routinely take over a minute for one simple page to load, you would get disconnected constantly, and downloading any kind of music or video was nothing but a pipe dream.

Not to mention that if anybody needed to use the telephone, you had to disconnect from the net! I bet that some kids today would be shocked to learn that there was a time when you couldn't surf the web and talk on the phone at the same time.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/05/15 at 4:35 pm

The first time I ever used the internet was at my cousin's house in early November 1998, and the first website I went to was for the video game magazine Game Pro so I could look up information on Zelda:OOT, which was just about to come out at that time. We didn't get internet access at our house until March 2000, but even after that I rarely used it, because our dial-up service was just terrible. It would routinely take over a minute for one simple page to load, you would get disconnected constantly, and downloading any kind of music or video was nothing but a pipe dream.

Not to mention that if anybody needed to use the telephone, you had to disconnect from the net! I bet that some kids today would be shocked to learn that there was a time when you couldn't surf the web and talk on the phone at the same time.

Or they can just go on YouTube to look up of what dial-up Internet was.

Written By: Howard on 08/06/15 at 3:27 pm

Maximum one hour at a time.

cause sometimes our home computer would be on the fritz so My Mother and I would need a place to check our emails.

Check for new replies or respond here...