inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: On the whole, your thoughts on the 2000s?

Written By: Zelek on 08/12/15 at 12:33 am

It seems that for most people, 2000-2005 was good and 2006-2009 sucked. However, do you have different thoughts on the 2000s?

I have to admit, it's kinda hard to judge a year in an unbiased way. For example, most people on the Internet, from what I've seen, think 2009-2012 were absolutely atrocious. But for me, those were great years as my family moved to Belgium and had many memorable moments together.

Subject: Re: On the whole, your thoughts on the 2000s?

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 08/12/15 at 12:41 am

I would say the 2000-2004 period was the best. 2005-2006 was descent. 2007-2009 was pretty bad. In fact for me personally and pop culture wise I felt 2007/8-2012 was a very dark time.

I know I'm a minority on this opinion, but I feel since 2013 things have been improving dramatically, my personal life, pop culture, etc. It sort of reminds me of a 'new' 90's; a Centrist Democratic President, an improving economy, huge technological advances, and a rising 'ironic' culture.

I love it

Written By: 80sfan on 08/12/15 at 12:45 am

You should have been on this site in 2004. I had not joined yet but I lurked. People HATED music from that year, they overall hated music from 2001 and after then. Now people's minds have changed, or the younger crowd on here has a different opinion.

If you were on here in 2003/2004, it was unimaginable for people to like mainstream music from after 2001.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 08/12/15 at 1:07 am

You should have been on this site in 2004. I had not joined yet but I lurked. People HATED music from that year, they overall hated music from 2001 and after then. Now people's minds have changed, or the younger crowd on here has a different opinion.

If you were on here in 2003/2004, it was unimaginable for people to like mainstream music from after 2001.

Lol thats crazy. Yeah it seems like people usually have this stigma that the current era sucks. Heck even in the 90's many gen xers thought the 90's sucked and the 80's were better

Written By: ArcticFox on 08/12/15 at 1:15 am

Lol thats crazy. Yeah it seems like people usually have this stigma that the current era sucks. Heck even in the 90's many gen xers thought the 90's sucked and the 80's were better

The whole "the current era sucks" mentality is always a bvocal minority. Sometimes they have a point, sometimes they don't.

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/12/15 at 4:05 am

Internet wise the 2000's was better in some ways. I miss chat rooms and the more simple ways of editing profiles on sites I used. Before downloading was cracked down on, I would spend a good share of the day talking to people in chats and messages in the program I used. Also email forwards and amusing joke lists. These days you have to watch yourself more because who knows who could see what. As for my offline life, I'm not nostalgia blind to that.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/12/15 at 6:03 am

Gonna break down the decade, year by year:

2000 - Not the best year for me personally, but a lot of solid, millennial-era media came out of it.

2001 - 9/11 was awful, but 2001 was one of the better years for music of the decade and was possibly my favorite year for gaming ever.

2002 - The first full year that the 2000s feel had really established itself, and also when it was at its freshest.  Video games were a little weaker than they were during the first couple of years of the decade (though still better than most of the 2000s), but music had its best year of the decade, while television was also good.

2003 - Not a terrible year, by any means, but probably the least memorable year of the first half of the decade.

2004 - The best year of the decade for comedies, and the only year that the mid-2000s style of urban music was good.  It also had the launch of the DS.

2005 - This was where things started to really fall off for me.  Pop music started to really suck beginning around the summer, Cartoon Network jumped the shark, and both video games and movies had somewhat dry periods.

2006 - This was about the time I started to really use Wikipedia, which was extremely exciting at the time.  Unfortunately, the pop charts were still polluted with dimwitted snap/urban songs, and neither cinema, nor gaming had much to offer this year, either.

2007 - Even though music was still extremely hit-or-miss, I have unusually positive memories of this year.  For one, it was about when I discovered YouTube, which I quickly got addicted to, and it was also an above-average year for movies.  I also started high school this year, and unlike most people, high school is the time of my life I feel most nostalgic for.

2008 - Not a whole lot of development from 2007, and still a very weak year for music, but I was delighted to see Obama elected after eight years of Dubya, and I was still really blown away by YouTube.

2009 - My second-favorite year of the 2000s, second only to 2002.  This was the best year for music in ages, with electropop replacing the trashy snap music of the mid-late 2000s, tracks in general sounding much more layered, and interesting melodies finally being important again in hit songs and not just shock value alone.  In my opinion, this year felt drastically different from the rest of the 2000s and was really a premature beginning to the early 2010s, which were highlighted by the politicization of social media and the increased attention to serious social issues like gay marriage.  Obviously, the world was not in perfect shape, due to the bad economy, but 2009 was a very fun and colorful time, nonetheless.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/15 at 6:04 am

Happy to be alive!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/12/15 at 7:45 am

If we were talking about our experiences in the 2000s, then I would say that I loved them. I love the 2000s. I'm a proud 2000s kid and I felt like the 2000s was better than the 2010s in some ways (despite having that recession in the late 2000s). I would say that the mid 2000s were the best part of the 2000s, including 2007.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/12/15 at 11:11 am

2000..... nothing much about this year, the late 90's extension year, I can't say because I was too young at the time.

2001, 2002, & 2003 were my favorite years of the 2000's decade, everything that defined the early 2000's culturally happened during that time. Despite the election of George Bush and 9/11 happening, it was a great time with all the new games and all the TV shows that were on at the time, and even the movies at the time as well. This period was like a golden age to me.

2004-2005 comes in 2nd place, those two years of the mid 2000's were my favorite pop culturally and my childhood was still in its peak. Great games I got throughout these years and the movies still had its epic moments.

2006 for my personal life was the best, however on a scale here in this thread we're talking about the pop culture though, so I have to put 2006 in the same boat as 2007, those years pop culturally were a dull time when things started declining IMO. It had its ups and downs. Although 2007 was a really good year for movies though.

2008 & 2009 were flat out horrible, the Stock Market Crash occurred in September 2008 which brought the economy down, Michael Jackson & Farrah Fawcett had died, and it was an extremely weak time for television. Although Summer 2009 was the only great part about it for me. As someone already mentioned it was the year music started picking up again until it hit its peak in 2010 (although that's done now), however what's sad about 2008 & 2009 is that since then it seems like things in life have became over technologically advanced everywhere we go with all this social media and stuff.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/12/15 at 11:14 am

http://www.veralytic.com/Data/Sites/1/skins/Veralytic01/arrow_cycle.gif

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/15 at 11:16 am

http://www.veralytic.com/Data/Sites/1/skins/Veralytic01/arrow_cycle.gif
Seen that on my one of apps a few times over the last few weeks.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/12/15 at 1:45 pm

I don't really think that I hate any year of the 2000s, since they actually seem more nostalgic than the 2010s in my opinion. Even in 2008 and 2009, I seem to enjoy life. I just seem to dislike the 2010s because it has the lamest pop culture and media that doesn't seem to appeal me. Especially 2012, which is a year that I will NEVER get nostalgic about.  8-P

Written By: bchris02 on 08/12/15 at 1:56 pm

2000 was a great year.  2001 was the worst year of my life up until that point.  2002 and 2003 were great years in my personal life.  2004-2007 sucked.  2008 and 2009 were great.

Written By: Howard on 08/12/15 at 2:53 pm

Internet wise the 2000's was better in some ways. I miss chat rooms and the more simple ways of editing profiles on sites I used. Before downloading was cracked down on, I would spend a good share of the day talking to people in chats and messages in the program I used. Also email forwards and amusing joke lists. These days you have to watch yourself more because who knows who could see what. As for my offline life, I'm not nostalgia blind to that.

I miss chat rooms too.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/15 at 2:57 pm

I miss chat rooms too.
AOL had chatrooms, that was where I started.

Written By: the2001 on 08/12/15 at 2:58 pm

It seems that for most people, 2000-2005 was good and 2006-2009 sucked. However, do you have different thoughts on the 2000s?

I have to admit, it's kinda hard to judge a year in an unbiased way. For example, most people on the Internet, from what I've seen, think 2009-2012 were absolutely atrocious. But for me, those were great years as my family moved to Belgium and had many memorable moments together.

From a pop culture vibe sense, I will break it down for you
As someone who pays attention to thinks very clearly I will help you.

2000- 
TRL is a staple of coming home from school, Dreamcast is still riding on its hype, NSYNC sells a record breaking number of albums,
WWF is still in its attitude with The Rock leading the generation,  Who let the dogs out was an annoying song.

This year started off all bubblegum y2k ish, but once 9/11 happened  everyone in music started making it less
about pop and more about serious issues. At this time PS2 had come out and WCW and SEga have gone out
of buissness. WWF had also fallen with the horrible invasion angle.  Disney channel got huge thiis year with Lizzy
and the whole ZOOG disney block. Bernie Mac came out this year as well. 2001 VMAS were gold.

VHS tapes become a thing of the past, Super Mario sunshine was an awesome game, Carson Daly appears less
and less on TRL this year. EMO becomes a thing with AVRIL, and Good Charlotte, 8 mile came out that year,
start of the Highschool year for me, (2002 was the last year with any 90s influence )

Really bland year, Thats so Raven blew up, THE OC blew up, the whole trend of tanning and going to a beach became a huge thing.
Crazy in love was a hit. Kobe went to court for you know.........,  We went to WAR with IRAQ and everyone was pissed, nothing much
to say about this year it was pretty bland.

MEAN GIRLS, everyone saw that  movie,  Ashlee Simpson gets her own show, I member girls swooning for
Ryan Cabrera, Ushers confessions drops and becomes a classic. EMINEM falls off fast with his encore album.
Myspace.com is launched and quickly people adopt. Nintendo DS is launched and becomes a hit.

Myspace.com quickly becomes the 1# site in the world leading into the next, All American Rejects become an emo
anthem for the decade. 2005 trys to come back with comedy's on FOX, but to no avail. Mariah Careys we belong together
plays in every Stop & shop, Blockbuster, CVS you can imagine. AIM is in its peak period this year.  PussyCat dolls were
all over the radio, the apple IMAC g5 comes out this year, as well as the slim IPOD, this year IPOD craze was huge.
Kanye West becomes a future ICON with Golddigger. Weezers beverly hills becomes a huge hit, and is almost impossible to escape
the song. WWE in 2005 got better with Batista leading the new generation as well as Edge and Lita becoming heels. A great feud
with Hogan and HBK happened during this time. 50 cents new album becomes the last gangsta rap album to ever chart as high as it did.
21 questions was everywere,  People were still using windows xp and pcs , HD tvs start getting big around this year but not many get them.
XBOX 360 launches, and quickly ushers in the new gen. A good year for movies.

Timbaland ruled the airwaves this year, as well as Nelly Furtado, The WB changed to the CW, HD tvs start to take off
and more and more people buy them. Myspace still king at this point even tho Facebook.com is open for free to people
without a college ID. I remember using facebook in 2006 and thinking.. meh this will not catch on.  Cartoon network starts
to fall off hard this year. A boring year for movies, nothing really good came out.  A this point mall traffic is still big,
and starts to dip, but still the economy was still doing good at this point (despite warnings)  The electropop trend starts
with SEXYBACK, SOS, and a few other dance songs. Kramer goes on a racist rant and gets blacklisted by everyone.
My Chemical Romance hit their peak this year and never return. Youtube picks up alot of steam this year, abeit no one
really knowing what it is. WWE in this year was good, you had the whole ECW coming back, even tho it started to suck.
PS3 and Wii are launched, and become a huge hit  (even tho ps3 sales were relly really slow). Overall I would sat 2006
was 2000s version of 1996.  With new things being introduced while phasing out the old. NeYO was the R&B king at
this point. TRL and 106 & park still were getting decent ratings.

Nothing to say about this year, was really bland, IPHONE came out thats about it, and Spears shaved her head and went crazy.

A really weird ass year, TRL shuts down, Lady Gaga debuts and changes the music landscape, The Dark Knight rises becomes a huge hit,
last year of any classic 2000s influence. At this point Facebook starts to get neck and neck with Myspace ( with people starting to leave myspace
at this point) Obama gets elected, American Apparel clothing gets huge, the whole neon fad was big. 808s changes rap. The economy tanks
this year, and leaves that year in a state of confusion. Many of the classic 2000s thing such as ,  Snap rap and gangsta rap are phased out this year.

Another weird year, after the mess of 2008s economy crash, we are left with crap pretty much, pop culture was good tho to make up for it,
Gaga at the VMAs was good, KEsha debuted in the last half along with Jersey Shore  (which becomes a hit) Alot of 2010s trends star popping
up this year (mainly the 2009-2010 period) people are using blackberrys more, overall the mood this year was colorful and dark at the same time,
it was trying to articfual pump you up, but it was hard because we were in a recession at the time,  Hipster culture really came in this year.  2009 was
just really a DREAM year  (not in a good way but in a WTF way)

Written By: mqg96 on 08/12/15 at 3:51 pm

2000 was a great year.  2001 was the worst year of my life up until that point.  2002 and 2003 were great years in my personal life.  2004-2007 sucked.  2008 and 2009 were great.

;D ;D ;D I knew someone would say this..... again 

http://betanews.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/laughing-laugh-mock-mocking-finger-point-pointing-600x400.jpg

https://susanhenschen.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/finger_pointing_027.gif

Written By: mqg96 on 08/12/15 at 3:56 pm

VHS tapes become a thing of the past, Super Mario sunshine was an awesome game, Carson Daly appears less
and less on TRL this year. EMO becomes a thing with AVRIL, and Good Charlotte, 8 mile came out that year,
start of the Highschool year for me, (2002 was the last year with any 90s influence )

Really bland year, Thats so Raven blew up, THE OC blew up, the whole trend of tanning and going to a beach became a huge thing.
Crazy in love was a hit. Kobe went to court for you know.........,  We went to WAR with IRAQ and everyone was pissed, nothing much
to say about this year it was pretty bland.

I'm seriously about to launch the 2003 cultural debate thread, oh wait before I do that, let me remind myself about the catastrophe that occurred in the previous 2003 related thread.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/12/15 at 3:56 pm

I knew someone would say this..... again  ::)

http://betanews.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/laughing-laugh-mock-mocking-finger-point-pointing-600x400.jpg

https://susanhenschen.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/finger_pointing_027.gif

:P Wow, I never knew that you actually defend your opinions from somebody who dislikes 2004-2007. So? I'm okay with people hating on 2008 and 2009, because politically, the U.S. wasn't really doing well and that I don't really care about that.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/12/15 at 4:00 pm

:P Wow, I never knew that you actually defend your opinions from somebody who dislikes 2004-2007. So? I'm okay with people hating on 2008 and 2009, because politically, the U.S. wasn't really doing well and that I don't really care about that.

You don't get my joke. It's not that I'm defending my opinions, it's that it's funny when people do this. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, but I see a lot of folks who grew up in the 90's and even the early 2000's too who tend to say that everything in life after 2003 sucks in general, everything made from 2004 & onwards is terrible, and everything became good again as soon as 2010 hit or when the cultural 2010's began. Remember this is not just what I've seen here. I've seen it all over the place on the internet lately. I'm just posting this in laughter because I see it a lot. Not that I'm getting mad or something lol.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/12/15 at 4:04 pm

You don't get my joke. It's not that I'm defending my opinions, it's that it's funny when people do that. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, but I see a lot of folks that grew up in the 90's who believe that everything in life after 2003 sucks in general. Remember this is not just what I've seen here. I've seen it all over the place on the internet lately. I'm just posting this in laughter because I see it a lot. Not that I'm getting mad or something lol.

Well, I thought you were laughing at it because you really loved that portion of the 2000s. I do too. Yes, it's a pain in the ass to read people's bullcrap about how the mid 2000s suck, even though it's been like 9-11 years since the mid 2000s has past. It's even longer than the early 2000s was in the early 2010s. But, just ignore them. The internet is free to everybody who lives in a free society, and you don't need to read other people's bullcrap about how the mid and late 2000s suck.

Written By: Howard on 08/12/15 at 4:12 pm

I started in the mid to late 1990's.

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/12/15 at 6:57 pm

I miss chat rooms too.

I also miss when Yahoo and such weren't just for news and email, they were early social networks where you had your own profile and everything. Plus chats.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/12/15 at 7:00 pm

You don't get my joke. It's not that I'm defending my opinions, it's that it's funny when people do this. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, but I see a lot of folks who grew up in the 90's and even the early 2000's too who tend to say that everything in life after 2003 sucks in general, everything made from 2004 & onwards is terrible, and everything became good again as soon as 2010 hit or when the cultural 2010's began. Remember this is not just what I've seen here. I've seen it all over the place on the internet lately. I'm just posting this in laughter because I see it a lot. Not that I'm getting mad or something lol.

Mq, bro; if Chris doesn't like the mid 2000s so what, it's his opinion. I also read his personal life wasn't that great as well, which I personally understand.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/12/15 at 7:04 pm

Mq, bro; if Chris doesn't like the mid 2000s so what, it's his opinion. I also read his personal life wasn't that great as well, which I personally understand.

I absolutely agree with this post. It's not like the mid 2000s has to be likeable to everybody. I don't even think any decade has to be loveable to everybody, since all of us live in countries that have lots of freedom of speech. Let everyone make opinions about any decade.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/12/15 at 7:14 pm

Yeah I was joking big time there, I didn't mean any harm, my bad if y'all thought I was taking things too seriously. ;)

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/12/15 at 7:16 pm

Yeah I was joking big time there, I didn't mean any harm, my bad if y'all thought I was taking things too seriously. ;)

It's alright bro  ;D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/12/15 at 8:48 pm

I have to say they were decent except the late portion. Most of the music was decent; the shows were fantasic (even the primetime ones); the video games were off the hook; technology and social media was being introduced rapidly; fashion was alright;  however, politically, it was horrible. I feel that the 2000s would have been much better politically had Al Gore won the 2000 presidential election.

My reasons for the late part being awful is that the economy tanked causing a crash; video games were beginning to go downhill with the same format; many shows became less interesting; the cartoon channels were entering forgettable dark ages; last, the music started to lose diversity.

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/12/15 at 9:15 pm

I have to say they were decent except the late portion. Most of the music was decent; the shows were fantasic (even the primetime ones); the video games were off the hook; technology and social media was being introduced rapidly; fashion was alright;  however, politically, it was horrible. I feel that the 2000s would have been much better politically had Al Gore won the 2000 presidential election.

My reasons for the late part being awful is that the economy tanked causing a crash; video games were beginning to go downhill with the same format; many shows became less interesting; the cartoon channels were entering forgettable dark ages; last, the music started to lose diversity.

You're spot on about the video games. TV I think went downhill when it all went digital. Music was becoming less diverse by '06 with the advent ringtone rap. Music doesn't suck now, you just have to look elsewhere than the popular sources to discover it.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/12/15 at 9:44 pm

You're spot on about the video games. TV I think went downhill when it all went digital. Music was becoming less diverse by '06 with the advent ringtone rap. Music doesn't suck now, you just have to look elsewhere than the popular sources to discover it.

2010 & 2013 have been my favorite years for music of this decade so far, but I have to give 2010 the edge due to the variety at the time and epic hits that came out consistently throughout that year. For some reason 2012, 2014, & 2015 so far have had hits here and there but not consistently for me.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/12/15 at 10:52 pm

When did TV want all digital to you?

Written By: #Infinity on 08/12/15 at 10:55 pm

Music doesn't suck now, you just have to look elsewhere than the popular sources to discover it.

Most of the indie stuff popular now is really overrated.  The 80s and 90s were much, much better periods for "art" music.  2009-2011 was a pretty good time for music, but otherwise, the past decade has been lackluster on pretty much all fronts.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 08/12/15 at 11:16 pm

You make an excellent point! As a moderate liberal I feel that if Al Gore won the 2000's would be considered better than even the 90's. Many 90's tv shows, culture, fashion, and technology bled into the 2000's (not just the early part but the mid section as well) and add a much better presidency (with the Iraq war most likely never happening), and the economic crash not as bad (unfortunately I still think the crash would've happened but not at the same scale) then the 2000's would be a pretty amazing decade. Hence why I think the 2010's have been an improvement, hopefully that continues to improve

Written By: ArcticFox on 08/13/15 at 3:27 am

Most of the indie stuff popular now is really overrated.  The 80s and 90s were much, much better periods for "art" music.  2009-2011 was a pretty good time for music, but otherwise, the past decade has been lackluster on pretty much all fronts.

I disagree about the underground music of today being lackluster. As a matter of fact, I'll start a thread about it later today!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/13/15 at 12:39 pm

Yeah, I don't see much variety in games anymore. Where are the RPGs, racing, fighting, and other less known genre games? I know they still exist, but there's barely any in the market. Also, I have no problem with games being shooters, but it needs to slow down.

That's true. Not all music is terrible; however, I have listened to some underground music ranging from rap, rock, and even EDM and while some was awesome, the rest was awful. I really wish there was more diversity in music and that there was more that made sense and make people want to have fun with themselves and each other.

As for TV, it's not just cartoons, but even Primetime shows as well. Yes, there are definitely magnificent ones such as OITNB, Breaking Bad, and Walking Dead; however, the ones on the local channels don't seem to get much views as before. I feel that none of my family or even my friends watch the shows on NBC, ABC, CW, Fox or CBS. While there are a few gems, most are not as good as I thought. Hell, some of them have even got canceled after one season. It's clearly telling me that TV has declined for a while.

You make an excellent point! As a moderate liberal I feel that if Al Gore won the 2000's would be considered better than even the 90's. Many 90's tv shows, culture, fashion, and technology bled into the 2000's (not just the early part but the mid section as well) and add a much better presidency (with the Iraq war most likely never happening), and the economic crash not as bad (unfortunately I still think the crash would've happened but not at the same scale) then the 2000's would be a pretty amazing decade. Hence why I think the 2010's have been an improvement, hopefully that continues to improve

Same here. I know no president is perfect; however, Gore would have done a better job than Bush. Hey I even think that 9/11 would have never occurred or the Afghanistan/Iraq War. We would have been so much at peace that everyone would have been more happy. Additionally, we would still have more money to buy stuff and wouldn't be in more debt than we are now.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/13/15 at 1:00 pm

To the people who keep saying that Gore would've done a better job as the president of the U.S., just get over it. Yes, Bush was a mediocre president, but do we really need to judge the 2000s from one single country? I'm pretty sure other countries like Canada we're doing okay during the 2000s. I'm a proud 2000s kid and I love the 2000s, even if we did had Bush as president.

Written By: Howard on 08/13/15 at 2:48 pm

same here, I started during the late 1990's.

Written By: Howard on 08/13/15 at 2:49 pm

I also miss when Yahoo and such weren't just for news and email, they were early social networks where you had your own profile and everything. Plus chats.

Yahoo and MSN wanted to expand their horizons.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 08/13/15 at 6:03 pm

To the people who keep saying that Gore would've done a better job as the president of the U.S., just get over it. Yes, Bush was a mediocre president, but do we really need to judge the 2000s from one single country? I'm pretty sure other countries like Canada we're doing okay during the 2000s. I'm a proud 2000s kid and I love the 2000s, even if we did had Bush as president.

Same here man! I actually vaguely remember the 2000 election and my mom getting pissed off at Gore 'losing'.

But I do agree with you that I think Bush gets too much hate, and thus the 2000's decade is tainted because of that. Does that mean I liked him, not really, but I actually think Bush was similar in Regean in many ways (who is typically considered one of the greatest of all time).

So who knows maybe someday I might warm up to Bush's legacy (especially his first term) though its still to early and I still have a huge disdain for him (especially his second term).

The same could be said of our current president. I don't agree with him on everything (in many ways he just continued Bush's policies both Domestically and Internationally) but his decision to open of the Cuba sanctions, Obamacare, and if it goes through the Iran Deal; will definitely be high moments in his legacy.

Hopefully our country continues to move forward. Unfortunately though most of the presidential candidates for 2016, both Democrat & Republican, seem pretty poor. The only Democrats I like are Bernie Sanders & Elizabeth Warren, and the only Republican I like is Rand Paul.

The rest just seem like typical establishment corporatists, though Donald Trump destroying the GOP is insanely funny and suprrising enjoyable  ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/13/15 at 6:17 pm

Same here man! I actually vaguely remember the 2000 election and my mom getting pissed off at Gore 'losing'.

But I do agree with you that I think Bush gets too much hate, and thus the 2000's decade is tainted because of that. Does that mean I liked him, not really, but I actually think Bush was similar in Regean in many ways (who is typically considered one of the greatest of all time).

So who knows maybe someday I might warm up to Bush's legacy (especially his first term) though its still to early and I still have a huge disdain for him (especially his second term).

The same could be said of our current president. I don't agree with him on everything (in many ways he just continued Bush's policies both Domestically and Internationally) but his decision to open of the Cuba sanctions, Obamacare, and if it goes through the Iran Deal; will definitely be high moments in his legacy.

Hopefully our country continues to move forward. Unfortunately though most of the presidential candidates for 2016, both Democrat & Republican, seem pretty poor. The only Democrats I like are Bernie Sanders & Elizabeth Warren, and the only Republican I like is Rand Paul.

The rest just seem like typical establishment corporatists, though Donald Trump destroying the GOP is insanely funny and suprrising enjoyable  ;D

Trump would obviously lose the election. I agree with you that Sanders is a good candidate, but since he's a socialist, I wouldn't stand conservatives calling him a literal socialist, while he probably believes in a different sort of socialism that the other countries doesn't use.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 08/13/15 at 6:32 pm

Trump would obviously lose the election. I agree with you that Sanders is a good candidate, but since he's a socialist, I wouldn't stand conservatives calling him a literal socialist, while he probably believes in a different sort of socialism that the other countries doesn't use.

Lol true, they would destroy him. Heck Obama is called a socialist daily (even though he's pretty capitalist, heck income inequality went up under Obama) just because he's a democrat. So Sanders (who for the record considers himself a Democratic Socialist and believes our country should be like the Scandinavian countries) will get a lot of heat for sure

Written By: #Infinity on 08/13/15 at 6:34 pm

Yeah, I don't see much variety in games anymore. Where are the RPGs, racing, fighting, and other less known genre games? I know they still exist, but there's barely any in the market. Also, I have no problem with games being shooters, but it needs to slow down.

Part of the problem is also that the heart of video games these days seems to be the story and not so much the gameplay anymore.  Up through the mid-2000s, there was still a hefty amount of groundbreaking new features being integrated into video games, i.e. the online sandbox of WoW, the Nintendo Wii, and rhythm games like DDR and Guitar Hero.  Not, it seems like the only games that sell the most copies are those with gritty storylines, dark visuals, and complex characters, rather than those which push boundaries.  More recent attempts at innovation, like Spore and Kinect, have generally failed.

You still have a lot of popular video game franchises that aren't FPS's, like Assassin's Creed and Batman, but in terms of gameplay mechanics, as opposed to visuals and story, they still aren't that significant a step up from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, which came out closer to the Atari age than today.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/13/15 at 6:40 pm

Lol true, they would destroy him. Heck Obama is called a socialist daily (even though he's pretty capitalist, heck income inequality went up under Obama) just because he's a democrat. So Sanders (who for the record considers himself a Democratic Socialist and believes our country should be like the Scandinavian countries) will get a lot of heat for sure

Yeah, I'm also sure that he isn't going to win the presidency, since most Americans thinks that socialism is a threat to their country.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/13/15 at 6:46 pm

I'm pretty confident the next president will either be Hillary Clinton, since she's qualified and not overtly socialist, or Jeb Bush, since he isn't adamantly against current popular trends and can easily win the Hispanic vote.  Marco Rubio and Joe Biden (should he run) are also possibilities, but I'm still forecasting another Bush versus Clinton election, eerily similar to 1992 (even Donald Trump could become the Ross Perot of 2016).

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/13/15 at 8:26 pm

Yahoo and MSN wanted to expand their horizons.

But they could have done that and kept the old.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 08/13/15 at 9:21 pm

I'm pretty confident the next president will either be Hillary Clinton, since she's qualified and not overtly socialist, or Jeb Bush, since he isn't adamantly against current popular trends and can easily win the Hispanic vote.  Marco Rubio and Joe Biden (should he run) are also possibilities, but I'm still forecasting another Bush versus Clinton election, eerily similar to 1992 (even Donald Trump could become the Ross Perot of 2016).

Thats a pretty good prediction

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/13/15 at 11:51 pm

That's true. There were other countries that the 2000s were fantasic; however, America is not the only one that had a disaster  throughout the decade. The middle east had a horrible time especially with those wars. In addition, Indonesia even had an awful time considering when that 2004 powerful storm hit, it completely tore them apart.

I understand that no decade is perfect, but some were worse than others and it would also depend on the country as well.

Part of the problem is also that the heart of video games these days seems to be the story and not so much the gameplay anymore.  Up through the mid-2000s, there was still a hefty amount of groundbreaking new features being integrated into video games, i.e. the online sandbox of WoW, the Nintendo Wii, and rhythm games like DDR and Guitar Hero.  Not, it seems like the only games that sell the most copies are those with gritty storylines, dark visuals, and complex characters, rather than those which push boundaries.  More recent attempts at innovation, like Spore and Kinect, have generally failed.

You still have a lot of popular video game franchises that aren't FPS's, like Assassin's Creed and Batman, but in terms of gameplay mechanics, as opposed to visuals and story, they still aren't that significant a step up from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, which came out closer to the Atari age than today.
I've seen that too. Not all game genres need stories. The ones that are much better with just gameplay are platformers, racing, fighting, puzzles, and party games. The stories need be left with RPGs, FPSs, open world games, and other story-related genres.

I agree. Most of today's games have that format you're talking about. Moreover, today's games seem to have more of a realistic feel than cartoony (which was present in older games).

No, I understand. There's definitely non shooters out there in today's market; however, the problem is that there's not many games within those genres. Since this decade began, some of the game genres have been basically nonexistent such as RPGs, Adventures, racing and others. Yes, I have seen games today from those genres, but not as much as back then.

Last, I'm with you on that last statement. The gameplay in numerous games somehow have been awful for the last few years. One day, I played a demo of the 2013 Sonic game and it was not even good. Heck, I even played Killzone 3 and it was still wasn't awesome as the first one. I think it stems from that graphics and entertainment are more important than the gameplay itself.

Written By: Howard on 08/14/15 at 7:15 am

and now they want to do everything.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/14/15 at 7:38 am

That's true. There were other countries that the 2000s were fantasic; however, America is not the only one that had a disaster  throughout the decade. The middle east had a horrible time especially with those wars. In addition, Indonesia even had an awful time considering when that 2004 powerful storm hit, it completely tore them apart.

I understand that no decade is perfect, but some were worse than others and it would also depend on the country as well.

I wouldn't say the 2000s was completely disastrous in America. Some people were okay after 9/11. By that, they didn't really get psychologically troubled by it. Hell, I wouldn't really say that the 2000s was the worst. In my opinion, I think the 1930s and 1940s were worse as hell, for many reasons. For some, Hitler was the leader of Germany, and turned the country into a disastrous craphole which killed over 11 million people. The Great Depression also happened and it lasted for a decade. Even with World War II, it just seems godawful for the whole world to witness tons of bombings from the Axis and Allied Powers.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/15/15 at 7:43 pm

But it's not like Yahoo and MSN would ever get popular again. They're just things of the past.

Written By: Howard on 08/16/15 at 7:02 am

But it's not like Yahoo and MSN would ever get popular again. They're just things of the past.

They just wanted to change the way people see the site.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/16/15 at 8:31 am

Even if they did that, they wouldn't really get that much attention. People nowadays are into Skype, Facebook Messenger or Google Talk.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/19/15 at 12:55 pm

But they're not really popular anymore, especially MSN.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/19/15 at 8:31 pm

The 2000s were a fun decade for me! But pop culturally it started off GREAT and with a BANG!! :D  But it ended pretty badly!! >:( :(
The early 2000s were AMAZING, despite 9/11!!
Mid 2000s were fun for me personally
Late 2000s started off good, but went through a major decline!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/19/15 at 9:01 pm

I think I'm going to make a chart on my actual thoughts on the 2000s, since that last post I made was kinda short.

Early 2000s Even though I only remember 2002 and 2003, I kinda like this portion. Everything about it just seems so colorful to me, especially when I was just a toddler back then.

Mid 2000s My first kid years. They were really great for me, and they were my favorite portion of the 2000s. Loved everything about them. I loved Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, Disney Channel and PBS Kids at the time, since they were really awesome back then.

Late 2000s My later kid years. TV was still good back then. I really think they were awesome, despite having late 2009 being so heartbreaking with Nickelodeon rebranding, which sucked. But for the record, it wasn't that bad. At least it wasn't 2012, where everything was a steaming pile of goat crap.

Written By: SpyroKev on 12/17/15 at 1:23 pm

Alright. I tried so hard to answer this topic. Any response I take more time to write I basically already wrote in similar topics.

Great, 2000-2003. Good, 2004-2006. 2007, alright. 2008, only social life wise. 2009, only social life wise.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/17/15 at 3:13 pm

2000, 2001 and 2002 were amazing and my last three favorite years pop culturally (along with 1980-1999). I consider those three years the last of the core Y2K era. A good amount of my favorite movies, TV shows and records came out during this time. From 1994 to about 2003, I had some of the best times of my life and they're my greatest memories.

2003 was good. I like a lot of stuff from this year but this is around the time I was losing interest in the newer trends. My friends were getting older and things started changing whereas I kind of stayed the same.

2004 onward sucks pop culturally but I do have some exceptions for things like Video Games (which were good up until and including 2006) and Clerks 2.  My life in 2004 onward was actually pretty good but the things around me just stopped being appealing.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/17/15 at 4:12 pm

2000, 2001 and 2002 were amazing and my last three favorite years pop culturally (along with 1980-1999). I consider those three years the last of the core Y2K era. A good amount of my favorite movies, TV shows and records came out during this time. From 1994 to about 2003, I had some of the best times of my life and they're my greatest memories.

2003 was good. I like a lot of stuff from this year but this is around the time I was losing interest in the newer trends. My friends were getting older and things started changing whereas I kind of stayed the same.

2004 onward sucks pop culturally but I do have some exceptions for things like Video Games (which were good up until and including 2006) and Clerks 2.  My life in 2004 onward was actually pretty good but the things around me just stopped being appealing.

What kind of stuff do you think was good after 2004, aside from video games?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/17/15 at 4:16 pm

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/17/15 at 4:30 pm

A few TV shows, music, movies etc. Clerks 2 is a hilarious movie even if it's not as good as the first one. I also thought Danny Phantom was a pretty good show and Malcolm in the Middle was good all the way to it's end. 

Written By: Slim95 on 12/17/15 at 8:00 pm

The best decade ever!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/18/15 at 3:25 pm

The best decade ever!

Wow, say that to 90s extremists and you'll get your ass kicked. I love the 2000s, but I wouldn't say they were the best decade ever. It seems like no decade is perfect to me. We already dealt with war, economic recessions and national threats throughout the 20th and early 21st centuries.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/18/15 at 3:34 pm

Wow, say that to 90s extremists and you'll get your ass kicked. I love the 2000s, but I wouldn't say they were the best decade ever. It seems like no decade is perfect to me. We already dealt with war, economic recessions and national threats throughout the 20th and early 21st centuries.

It is to me as that's the only full decade I've lived in. 2000s had very little flaws for me. They were better than the 90s because I barely remember the 90s. So yeah still saying the 2000s were the best decade ever. Life was simple then.

Written By: mqg96 on 12/18/15 at 3:43 pm

It is to me as that's the only full decade I've lived in. 2000s had very little flaws for me. They were better than the 90s because I barely remember the 90s. So yeah still saying the 2000s were the best decade ever. Life was simple then.

Same here. For my personal life the 2000's was much simpler for me since I was a kid. 2003 was the best year of the 2000's decade for me pop culturally, while 2004 & 2006 offered the best summers for my personal life. 2009 wasn't as bad as I thought looking back. The 2010's decade has been my time coming up age with many ups and downs. I've enjoyed most of the 2010's decade so far on a pop cultural standpoint but for my personal life it's been ups and downs.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/18/15 at 3:46 pm

You know, I might agree with this. The 90s were really forgettable to me, especially when I was only a baby when the 90s ended. So it's not like I actually gave a fudge about it.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/18/15 at 4:04 pm

Bush years.

Written By: Toon on 12/20/15 at 6:51 am

Overall the decade wasn't that bad. It had its flaws but what decade doesn't? Overall it was a good time to me.

Written By: 2001 on 12/20/15 at 5:06 pm

Composing mostly of my teen and pre-teen years, it was mostly a miserable decade for me. 2000, 2001 and late 2003/early 2004 were amazing though, I'd definitely take a time machine to those years. 2009 was great too, but not all that different from 2015 to take a time machine. But in 2001-2002 and 2002-2003 school year, I had the worst teacher ever who treated us like homework bots, that's the beginning of the decline for me LOL.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/22/15 at 1:53 am

2000s were far from the best decade ever, but it was MUCH MUCH MUCH better than today! I kinda miss being 10. ;)

Written By: Howard on 12/22/15 at 2:33 pm

2000s were far from the best decade ever, but it was MUCH MUCH MUCH better than today! I kinda miss being 10. ;)

I miss being 10 too but that was in 1984.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/23/15 at 12:04 am

I miss being 10 too but that was in 1984.

The 80's are the best.

Written By: Howard on 12/23/15 at 3:04 pm

The 80's are the best.

They sure were.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/23/15 at 10:19 pm

They sure were.

The 80's were the best times for being a Punk and Skateboarding fan. So much good sh*t came out during that time. Even movies were the best during the 80's!

Written By: Howard on 12/24/15 at 2:31 pm

The 80's were the best times for being a Punk and Skateboarding fan. So much good sh*t came out during that time. Even movies were the best during the 80's!

and the music too.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/24/15 at 6:08 pm

and the music too.

Some of my all time favorite albums come from the 80's!

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/25/15 at 11:37 pm

and the music too.

Man, the music was great!

Check for new replies or respond here...