inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why isn't 2000s nostalgia acceptable to most people on the Internet?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/27/15 at 9:23 am

This decade doesn't really get that much nostalgia and I'm surprised the 90s gets a free pass. Hell, the 90s already had a nostalgia page ever since the decade ended, and people don't give a sheesh about it. Here's a link of it, if you don't really know about it. http://www.inthe90s.com/why90s.shtml The 2000s ended five years ago as of this post, but yet clearly, they don't seem to give a sheesh about it's a good decade to be nostalgic about. Who would actually seem to care about 90s nostalgia already, if that link is 15 years old? 15!! Let's face it. The 90s had godawful events like the 1991 Rodney King beatings, the 1992 Los Angeles riots, the 1993 World Trade Center bombing, the 1995 O.J. Simpson murders, along with Eazy-E, Tupac and Biggie's deaths in 1995-1997. How the hell do people still give a sheesh about that decade? How?! The 2000s had important events like 9/11 and the 2008 recession, but it's not like it was eternal hell back then.

Can't we just accept that there would be kids in every decade that would be nostalgic of their childhoods, and then they will talk about it on the Internet?

Subject: Re: Why isn't 2000s nostalgia acceptable to most people on the Internet?

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/27/15 at 9:32 am

This decade doesn't really get that much nostalgia and I'm surprised the 90s gets a free pass. Hell, the 90s already had a nostalgia page ever since the decade ended, and people don't give a sheesh about it. Here's a link of it, if you don't really know about it. http://www.inthe90s.com/why90s.shtml The 2000s ended five years ago as of this post, but yet clearly, they don't seem to give a sheesh about it's a good decade to be nostalgic about. Who would actually seem to care about 90s nostalgia already, if that link is 15 years old? 15!! Let's face it. The 90s had godawful events like the 1991 Rodney King beatings, the 1992 Los Angeles riots, the 1993 World Trade Center bombing, the 1995 O.J. Simpson murders, along with Eazy-E, Tupac and Biggie's deaths in 1995-1997. How the hell do people still give a sheesh about that decade? How?! The 2000s had important events like 9/11 and the 2008 recession, but it's not like it was eternal hell back then.

Can't we just accept that there would be kids in every decade that would be nostalgic of their childhoods, and then they will talk about it on the Internet?

Are you kidding? The same people who brought you 90's nostalgia long for their teenage years in the 2000's! Just look up 2000's nostalgia, it's all over Buzzfeed.

Subject: Re: Why isn't 2000s nostalgia acceptable to most people on the Internet?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/27/15 at 9:35 am

Are you kidding? The same people who brought you 90's nostalgia long for their teenage years in the 2000's! Just look up 2000's nostalgia, it's all over Buzzfeed.

But I'm saying this because 90s nostalgia was acceptable ever since the decade ended, while 2000s nostalgia was like a taboo thing on the Internet. Also, isn't most Buzzfeed articles about 2000s nostalgia related to the teens of the early and mid 2000s?

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 08/27/15 at 9:58 am

But I'm saying this because 90s nostalgia was acceptable ever since the decade ended, while 2000s nostalgia was like a taboo thing on the Internet. Also, isn't most Buzzfeed articles about 2000s nostalgia related to the teens of the early and mid 2000s?

Well there's a few 2000's kid articles, though they center around the late 00's, however since you grew up during that section you might be able to relate to it. I'll give you a link to one of them

http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/37-ways-to-know-youre-a-2000s-kid#.qw0LYPz4j

However you also have to take in account that most 2000's kids are still teens. So they are not going to be that nostalgic in the same sense a 20 something would be.

If we were to assume the age range is 1993-2002 give or take, that would mean that all 00's kids would be in their 20's in 2022. By around then I would expect the 2000's kid movement to hit its peak. However right now the youngest 2000's kids are barely teenagers, too young to really be nostalgic about anything.

When I was 13 I wasn't really nostalgic about my childhood because it just ended. Heck it wasn't really until I was 18-19 that I started to become nostalgic, and even then its mostly things from my early & peak childhood eras of the late 90's (early) & early 00's (peak). I do have a soft spot for the mid 00's and I'm a little nostalgic of that era, but nowhere the same amount to the late 90's/early 00's.

MAYBE in a few years I would become nostalgic of my entire childhood and by then it might not be taboo to be a nostalgic 00's kid. For instance there were tons of forum posts from 2008 about the 90's, and it wasn't seen as 'weird' or 'too soon' at that point. So 2018 might be around the time it will be acceptable to be nostalgic of the ENTIRE (or close to it) decade...

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/27/15 at 10:08 am

Well there's a few 2000's kid articles, though they center around the late 00's, however since you grew up during that section you might be able to relate to it. I'll give you a link to one of them

However you also have to take in account that most 2000's kids are still teens. So they are not going to be that nostalgic in the same sense a 20 something would be.

If we were to assume the age range is 1993-2002 give or take, that would mean that all 00's kids would be in their 20's in 2022. By around then I would expect the 2000's kid movement to hit its peak. However right now the youngest 2000's kids are barely teenagers, too young to really be nostalgic about anything.

When I was 13 I wasn't really nostalgic about my childhood because it just ended. Heck it wasn't really until I was 18-19 that I started to become nostalgic, and even then its mostly things from my early & peak childhood eras of the late 90's (early) & early 00's (peak). I do have a soft spot for the mid 00's and I'm a little nostalgic of that era, but nowhere the same amount to the late 90's/early 00's.

MAYBE in a few years I would become nostalgic of my entire childhood and by then it might not be taboo to be a nostalgic 00's kid. For instance there were tons of forum posts from 2008 about the 90's, and it wasn't seen as 'weird' or 'too soon' at that point. So 2018 might be around the time it will be acceptable to be nostalgic of the ENTIRE (or close to it) decade...

I'm 15 years and 8 months old and I'm already nostalgic about my childhood in the 2000s. How is this helping anyone's cases?

Written By: ArcticFox on 08/27/15 at 10:08 am

Because it's silly to be nostalgic for something that just ended.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/27/15 at 10:10 am

It's been five years since the 2000s ended. How the hell is that recent?

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 08/27/15 at 10:22 am

I'm 15 years and 8 months old and I'm already nostalgic about my childhood in the 2000s. How is this helping anyone's cases?

Well you're the exception but most people are not really nostalgic at around that age. Especially if your childhood just ended. Plus you grew up mostly in the mid-late 00's and thats still pretty recent in the grand scheme of things

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/27/15 at 10:27 am

Well you're the exception but most people are not really nostalgic at around that age. Especially if your childhood just ended. Plus you grew up mostly in the mid-late 00's and thats still pretty recent in the grand scheme of things

Do preteen years count as your childhood?

Written By: #Infinity on 08/27/15 at 10:44 am

Maybe because 9/11, George W. Bush, and trash rap were the definitive trends of the 2000s?  I know there's far more to the decade than those things, but probably because of the geopolitical climate and music mostly being watered down versions of 90s genres, the 2000s is not seen as producing anything outstandingly positive as a cultural decade, even if the individual years themselves were much more dynamic than that.

All that said, I know I'm completely nostalgic about the 2000s, just because the world seemed so much more colorful back then and not just social media junk dominating every aspect of people's lives.  I wish this was 2007, back when I was about to start high school.  Instead of still being in my own little world like I was at the time, I would have made friends immediately with the people I had wanted to connect with better in high school and gotten involved in the extracurricular activities I mostly missed out on.  Today, I feel like I have nothing and nobody to be passionate about.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/27/15 at 10:50 am

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jessicamisener/things-2000s-kids-will-be-nostalgic-about#.ucx5gAxJP

This link I found I relate to about 50% of everything on here, but being one of the leaders of the 2000's kids (like me), we can form biased opinions of what we like or didn't like from our core childhood years. We didn't eat everything up. It's missing a lot stuff on here as well that I enjoyed when I was a kid before half of this stuff came into existence.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/27/15 at 11:16 am

If you're referring to the ages of 11 & 12, then yes it does. IMO childhood doesn't really end until you finish middle school. However, just because you're a preteen or early teen in middle school doesn't mean you'll eat up everything that's out there. That's when you're old enough to form biased opinions on what you like or don't like. Plus at that age you're usually grown out of "kiddy" things and in the target audience for pop cultural music and TV shows geared towards teens or young adults.

You have to understand that nobody is going to have nostalgia for a decade that's still recent or has barely ended. Also, while no decade is perfect, no one is going to sit here and compare a tragic event like the 9/11 terrorist attacks from another country to some cases or bombings that occurred in the 90's that didn't impact the whole country or world at once. You had the deaths of Easy-E, Tupac, or Notorious Big, but those were just as tragic as the deaths of celebrities from the 2000's decade like Aaliyah, Lisa Lopes, or Michael Jackson. You may not like the 90's, that's just your opinion, but you can't just sit here and throw a tantrum on here and get so frustrated every time somebody doesn't accept the 2000's decade or try to force somebody to like it. That's very hypocritical because if you're complaining or bickering about how bad or bland the pop culture from the 2010's decade is then you're on the same level as those "90's kids" who talk about how bland the pop culture from the 2000's is in their opinions. No decade is perfect, it's a cycle, people will be saying the same thing about the next decade as its happening. All decades have its own pop culture or tragic events to share. You're one of the younger 2000's kids so I understand why you might feel this way, but you must understand that not everybody was a "young kid" the whole 2000's decade. Some people were older kids or teenagers at the time already grown out of stuff and enjoyed their core childhood from a different time of culture.

Written By: Shemp97 on 08/27/15 at 11:17 am

Maybe because 9/11, George W. Bush, and trash rap were the definitive trends of the 2000s?  I know there's far more to the decade than those things, but probably because of the geopolitical climate and music mostly being watered down versions of 90s genres, the 2000s is not seen as producing anything outstandingly positive as a cultural decade, even if the individual years themselves were much more dynamic than that.

All that said, I know I'm completely nostalgic about the 2000s, just because the world seemed so much more colorful back then and not just social media junk dominating every aspect of people's lives.  I wish this was 2007, back when I was about to start high school.  Instead of still being in my own little world like I was at the time, I would have made friends immediately with the people I had wanted to connect with better in high school and gotten involved in the extracurricular activities I mostly missed out on.  Today, I feel like I have nothing and nobody to be passionate about.

Non of that was relevent on the grand scheme of things. Either small stuff that people blow out of proportion or stuff relegated to only one country, but irrelevant elsewhere.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 08/27/15 at 11:21 am

What I bolded here is true! I'm glad that I was a kid in the 2000's, but I probably would've hated being a teen/young adult during that decade, especially the pure utter crap from 2005-2009...

Written By: bchris02 on 08/27/15 at 11:24 am

Give it another 5-10 years and 2000s nostalgia will be in full swing.  Nostalgia goes in 20 year cycles. 

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/27/15 at 11:26 am

Early 2000s nostalgia is accepted. I've seen plenty of articles speaking about that time-frame; however, the period as a whole is still too early to be nostalgic for. That's because those who were kids, adolescents and young adults at the time still consider the era to be recent and remember it entirely like it was yesterday. Since you were a kid in the later portion, it's why you think there should already nostalgia for that time-frame. Within the next few years, the 2000s will be completely nostalgic as by then the period will be between 10 and 20 years ago.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 08/27/15 at 11:28 am

If you're referring to the ages of 11 & 12, then yes it does. IMO childhood doesn't really end until you finish middle school. However, just because you're a preteen or early teen in middle school doesn't mean you'll eat up everything that's out there. That's when you're old enough to form biased opinions on what you like or don't like. Plus at that age you're usually grown out of "kiddy" things and in the target audience for pop cultural music and TV shows geared towards teens or young adults.

You have to understand that nobody is going to have nostalgia for a decade that's still recent or has barely ended. You're one of the younger 2000's kids so I understand why you might feel this way. Also, while no decade is perfect, no one is going to sit here and compare a tragic event like the 9/11 terrorist attacks from another country to some cases or bombings that occurred in the 90's that didn't impact the whole country or world at once. You had the deaths of Easy-E, Tupac, or Notorious Big, but those were just as tragic as the deaths of celebrities from the 2000's decade like Aaliyah, Lisa Lopes, or Michael Jackson. You may not like the 90's, that's just your opinion, but you can't just sit here and throw a tantrum on here and get so frustrated every time somebody doesn't accept the 2000's decade or try to force somebody to like it. That's very hypocritical because if you're complaining or bickering about how bad or bland the pop culture from the 2010's decade is then you're on the same level as those "90's kids" who talk about how bland the pop culture from the 2000's is in their opinions. No decade is perfect, it's a cycle, people will be saying the same thing about the next decade as its happening. All decades have its own pop culture or tragic events to share.

Exactly there's good and bad in every decade! No decade is perfect.  For instance, Baltimorean, the 90's was all about domestic terrorism while the 00's was all about international terrorism. Now which one was worst? Neither, both were pretty bad!

However the 90's are still held in a high regard and the 2000's (well atleast the early part so far) is starting to get some cred as well. Give it time, people used to make fun of the 80's (some might argue at a much higher rate than hate on the 00's) and people in their 30's 40's, & 50's these days always put it up on such a high regard! So maybe in 10 years, the 00's might not be such a taboo thing to like.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 08/27/15 at 11:35 am

It depends. For instance age 10 & 11 is most definitely your childhood (albeit the late portion).

Age 12 is tricky though. I guess your 6th grade year, age 11.5 through age 12, could be considered your late childhood as well.

But 7th grade, age 12.5 through age 13 would definitely be adolescence.

Heck I might even include 6th grade into adolescence as well, but some might still consider it childhood, so I just consider it a blurry transition.

However even if we take in account your peak childhood, roughly age 5-9, for you that would be from late 2004 through mid 2009. So most of your peak was spent in the late 00's, and thats still pretty recent...

Written By: Shemp97 on 08/27/15 at 11:37 am

Op, it's typical nostalgia cycles coupled with rabid 90s fanatics. The 90s were a good decade but it's fanbase is for lack if a better word, cancer, especially in ways I don't recall 80s fanatics being. They refuse to let anything of quality post 1999 legitimize and serve as inspiration for today's culture because it's not part of their lily-white, innocent childhood. Granted this mentality was more pronounced in the early 2010s than it is now but it still lingers. It annoys me the number of posts like "Did the 90s end in 2004" or "Did the 90s last till 2006". I see it as their way of delegitimizing 00s culture by linking all positive aspect to the 90s as if people didn't have an imagination or creativity that decade(another 20th century nostalgia narrative). If something good happened in the 00s it's because it's 90s inspired or from the early 00s, if something negative came out of the decade it's a bad 00s trend.

Hopefully when the '20s roll around people will be more sensible about decades and quality. And hopefully by then I'll be looking back at the' 10s in a different light.

It depends. For instance age 10 & 11 is most definitely your childhood (albeit the late portion).

Age 12 is tricky though. I guess your 6th grade year, age 11.5 through age 12, could be considered your late childhood as well.

But 7th grade, age 12.5 through age 13 would definitely be adolescence.

Heck I might even include 6th grade into adolescence as well, but some might still consider it childhood, so I just consider it a blurry transition.

However even if we take in account your peak childhood, roughly age 5-9, for you that would be from late 2004 through mid 2009. So most of your peak was spent in the late 00's, and thats still pretty recent...

I'd say 10 is the last year of childhood based on development reports and personal experience. 12 is definitely not childhood.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/27/15 at 11:47 am

Op, it's typical nostalgia cycles coupled with rabid 90s fanatics. The 90s were a good decade but it's fanbase is for lack if a better word, cancer, especially in ways I don't recall 80s fanatics being. They refuse to let anything of quality post 1999 legitimize and serve as inspiration for today's culture. Granted this mentality was more pronounced in the early 2010s than it is now but it still lingers. It annoys me the number of posts like "Did the 90s end in 2004" or "Did the 90s last till 2006". I see it as their way of delegitimizing 00s culture by linking all positive aspect to the 90s as if people didn't have an imagination or creativity that decade(another 20th century nostalgia narrative). If something good happened in the 00s it's because it's 90s inspired or from the early 00s, if something negative came out of the decade it's a bad 00s trend.

People who say this have a point.  Culture slowly evolved from 1993 until 2008.  The theme of the era was the transition from the old analog to the new digital society, increasing threat of terrorism, and the slow shift from morality of ends to morality of rights.  There were no major shifts or backlashes during that period.  It makes sense that those who were around for that entire stretch of time might see it as one era. 

Written By: mqg96 on 08/27/15 at 11:49 am

Op, it's typical nostalgia cycles coupled with rabid 90s fanatics. The 90s were a good decade but it's fanbase is for lack if a better word, cancer, especially in ways I don't recall 80s fanatics being. They refuse to let anything of quality post 1999 legitimize and serve as inspiration for today's culture. Granted this mentality was more pronounced in the early 2010s than it is now but it still lingers. It annoys me the number of posts like "Did the 90s end in 2004" or "Did the 90s last till 2006". I see it as their way of delegitimizing 00s culture by linking all positive aspect to the 90s as if people didn't have an imagination or creativity that decade(another 20th century nostalgia narrative). If something good happened in the 00s it's because it's 90s inspired or from the early 00s, if something negative came out of the decade it's a bad 00s trend.

Hopefully when the '20s roll around people will be more sensible about decades and quality. And hopefully by then I'll be looking back at the' 10s in a different light.

Hey, I've noticed this here lately too. Yeah that does get extremely annoying after a while, granted a lot of pop culture from the late 90's did carry on through the early 2000's, but it's when it goes so far to the point when nobody wants to appreciate the positive that defines the actual decade. No offense to anyone on here, but maybe this is why people get tired of these whole "decadeology" discussions going on around here.

I'd say 10 is the last year of childhood based on development reports and personal experience. 12 is definitely not childhood.

Yeah, I definitely agree, here in the U.S. age 10 is usually most people's last full year of elementary school, while at age 11 most people are transitioning out from elementary school into middle school, and by age 12 you're already in middle school full time. This is why I consider age 6-10 as your peak childhood, because those are your full time elementary school years when you're into the pop culture geared towards kids and the best childhood memories when you're into "kiddy stuff" exclusively. Age 5 is debatable but most people at age 5 are just starting Kindergarten and getting adjusted to the environment reviewing their basics, or are still in preschool at that age. Therefore I go by the age 6-10 peak childhood.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/27/15 at 12:52 pm

Hey, I've noticed this here lately too. Yeah that does get extremely annoying after a while, granted a lot of pop culture from the late 90's did carry on through the early 2000's, but it's when it goes so far to the point where nobody wants to appreciate the positive that defines the actual decade. No offense to anyone on here, but maybe this is why people get tired of these whole "decadeology" discussions going on around here.

See my post above regarding the 1993-2008 era.  Decade culture is largely a 20th century phenomenon.  Pop culture works in cycles or eras.  It's just a coincidence that in the 20th century most of them were centered on a specific decade.  Not all of them were though.    The 1900s and 1910s were a part of a single era.  1945-1963 was one era.  Decades from now, people will look back on 1993-2008 as one era with one theme.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/27/15 at 2:22 pm

This. Usually btt someone is 11 years old, he/she is middle school and is not doing any kiddy things anymore. The individual is now creating him/herself, looking at the world in a general view, participating in pop culture and debates and attending more mature events.

See my post above regarding the 1993-2008 era.  Decade culture is largely a 20th century phenomenon.  Pop culture works in cycles or eras.  It's just a coincidence that in the 20th century most of them were centered on a specific decade.  Not all of them were though.    The 1900s and 1910s were a part of a single era.  1945-1963 was one era.  Decades from now, people will look back on 1993-2008 as one era with one theme.
That might depend though. There were lots of events that happened within the whole time-frame, so they may either be looked at separately or together.

Written By: Howard on 08/27/15 at 2:40 pm

He can be nostalgic for whatever he's into, That's his preference.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/27/15 at 2:40 pm

That might depend though. There were lots of events that happened within the whole time-frame, so they may either be looked at separately or together.

True, but I am looking at the larger picture and there was an overarching theme that ran through the entire era.  The brief turn towards social conservatism following 9/11 was the closest thing we had during that era to a major cultural shift. It didn't last though and within a couple of years everything had resumed its course.  By major cultural shift, I am not referring to things like the shift from grunge to post-grunge or gangsta rap to glam rap or a new generation of video game consoles.  I am talking about the overarching zeitgeist and cultural values of the era.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 08/27/15 at 2:55 pm

This. Usually btt someone is 11 years old, he/she is middle school and is not doing any kiddy things anymore. The individual is now creating him/herself, looking at the world in a general view, participating in pop culture and debates and attending more mature events.

Yeah some people might view 11 differently, but in the grand scheme of things its transitional year from your childhood (albeit late childhood) to your adolescence. For instance an 11 year old in 6th grade is in the same category as young teens in 8th grade. While an 11 year old in 5th grade is still in his childhood like a 9 year old in 3rd grade. If I were to use myself as an example it would look like this:

Childhood

Early Childhood:

1999-2000 Pre School

2000-2001 PreK

Core Childhood:

2001-2002 Kindergarten

2002-2003 1st Grade

2003-2004 2nd Grade - Absolute Peak in Childhood

2004-2005 3rd Grade

Late Childhood

2005-2006 4th Grade

2006-2007 5th Grade

Youth

Middle School/Tween Years

2007-2008 6th Grade

2008-2009 7th Grade

2009-2010 8th Grade

High School/Teen Years

2010-2011 9th Grade

2011-2012 10th Grade

2012-2013 11th Grade - Absolute Peak in my Youth (regardless if I liked it or not)

2013-2014 12th Grade

College/Young Adult Years

2014-2015 Freshman in College

2015-2016 Sophomore in College

2016-2017 Junior in College

2017-2018 Senior in College

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/27/15 at 5:02 pm

Give it another 5-10 years and 2000s nostalgia will be in full swing.  Nostalgia goes in 20 year cycles.

I would rather wait for a few years to have 2000s nostalgia to be in full swing.

Written By: the2001 on 08/27/15 at 6:49 pm

I am already seeing the start of it

https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/10492418_10152912613691258_4464368166259797180_n.png?oh=b18d0efdc50161eefd3d8d3a9bccbbde&oe=5664C2B3

https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/t31.0-8/s960x960/11098007_10153789411981258_1103615072793177976_o.jpg

https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/11196285_10153795723756258_1320706627571352212_n.jpg?oh=cea9f1c2068eb243676f9337c18da4bf&oe=563746A2

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/27/15 at 7:52 pm

I am already seeing the start of it

https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/10492418_10152912613691258_4464368166259797180_n.png?oh=b18d0efdc50161eefd3d8d3a9bccbbde&oe=5664C2B3

https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/t31.0-8/s960x960/11098007_10153789411981258_1103615072793177976_o.jpg

https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/11196285_10153795723756258_1320706627571352212_n.jpg?oh=cea9f1c2068eb243676f9337c18da4bf&oe=563746A2

>:( I meant the whole decade.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 08/27/15 at 7:55 pm

>:( I meant the whole decade.

MySpace and Mean Girls came out in the mid 2000's. That's as 2000's as you get

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/27/15 at 8:02 pm

MySpace and Mean Girls came out in the mid 2000's. That's as 2000's as you get

So basically, you're making it clear that stuff which is 10 years old and older would be considered nostalgic to the Internet, even though they find most cartoons younger than 10 years to be nostalgic. Especially for the fact that there was a thread about how people were already nostalgic for the late 2000s: http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=51722.0

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/27/15 at 8:22 pm

It's been five years since the 2000s ended. How the hell is that recent?

Five years is a pretty short time. It hasn't even been a decade yet.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 08/27/15 at 8:23 pm

So basically, you're making it clear that stuff which is 10 years old and older would be considered nostalgic to the Internet, even though they find most cartoons younger than 10 years to be nostalgic. Especially for the fact that there was a thread about how people were already nostalgic for the late 2000s: http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=51722.0

Yeah I guess it depends on person to person. Someone who was a teen during that time might be more nostalgic about the music and fashion while a kid at that time might be more nostalgic about the cartoons and toys. It really all depends...

Written By: 80sfan on 08/27/15 at 8:33 pm

This is a bit silly. Isn't the answer obvious? The 00s was just six years ago.

You can't force nostalgia, let it flow, and let it go. What is meant to be will be. I can see the mid-90s or even late 90s as nostalgia, but 00s? It's a bit too early, don't you think?

Written By: bchris02 on 08/27/15 at 8:35 pm

There are different levels of nostalgia.  I don't think its too early to be nostalgic for the late '00s and to look back at it fondly.  I mean, I look back at 2008-2012 with nostalgia quite a bit.  However, it IS too soon to talk about reviving '00s fads that have come and gone like we are currently seeing with the '90s.  It generally takes 20 years before we start seeing that, which is why '90s nostalgia has been so big in this decade.  During the '00s it was the '80s.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/27/15 at 8:36 pm

This is a bit silly. Isn't the answer obvious? The 00s was just six years ago.

You can't force nostalgia, let it flow, and let it go. What is meant to be will be. I can see the mid-90s or even late 90s as nostalgia, but 00s? It's a bit too early, don't you think?

But it just seems like 90s kids on the Internet just force people to think their decade was the best, while the other ones were terrible. Especially the 2000s.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 08/27/15 at 9:21 pm

But it just seems like 90s kids on the Internet just force people to think their decade was the best, while the other ones were terrible. Especially the 2000s.

But kids of every generation think their era was the best. It just because we have the Internet now, thus it seems like it's only 90's kids. However do not be mistaken, 2000's kids are already making fun of 10's kids and hating 10's culture. Heck you seem not to be so fond of the 10's yourself.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 08/27/15 at 9:23 pm

There are different levels of nostalgia.  I don't think its too early to be nostalgic for the late '00s and to look back at it fondly.  I mean, I look back at 2008-2012 with nostalgia quite a bit.  However, it IS too soon to talk about reviving '00s fads that have come and gone like we are currently seeing with the '90s.  It generally takes 20 years before we start seeing that, which is why '90s nostalgia has been so big in this decade.  During the '00s it was the '80s.

This ^^^^

I'm nostalgic of my childhood of the early-mid 2000's but in no way would I say that the 2000's are retro or its time to revive the 00's or something silly like that. Maybe in like 5-10 years but not now...

Written By: 80sfan on 08/27/15 at 9:44 pm

Well, that's the internet mob for you.

"Agree with us or we'll ruin you!"  ::)

Written By: 80sfan on 08/27/15 at 9:45 pm

However, I love contrarian, rebellious, and different views. So applause for the person who started this thread!

I love it when people have a mind of their own and don't follow the crowd. It's refreshing.

Written By: ArcticFox on 08/27/15 at 11:13 pm

Here's how I view the stages of life.

Age Zero: A baby!
Ages 1 & 2: Toddlerhood.
Ages 3-12: Childhood - heavily monitored by parents, plays outside a lot, plays video games and has sleepovers with friends. Peak board gaming age.
Ages 13-15: Extended childhood/early adolescence - more freedom, late junior high/early high school, peak video gaming years, listens to extremely aggressive music to discover and assert their identity. However, these people still very much think like a child and are generally immature and incapable of handling stressful situations.
Ages 16-24: Coming of age period; starter jobs, can now drive, has full cognitive logic and reason development in the brain (basically, it's as adult as it can get in this aspect), lack of impulse control (drinking and trying pot and Molly for the first time), listens to mainstream music and watches blockbuster movies more often to fit in with their peers, higher education, going clubbing, becoming more interested in slang, wears trendier clothing, tries to find their own community in which they belong. Experiencing the real world for the first time.
Ages 25-34: Adulthood. Acquiring lower-rank jobs in the workforce. Your youth is over and now you have your sense of identity. You're classic rock!
Ages 35-49: Parenthood and grandparenthood.
Ages 50-65: Winding down on your career.
Ages 66-onwards: Senior Citizenship. Retirement for most folks.

As you can see, the young adulthood/coming of age period is the biggest period of someone's life in which they experience new things. It is an era of constant change, and that is the period that people are most nostalgic for because that's when life was exciting.

How does this apply to this thread? Well, a person born in the '80s (the '90s kids) would have been young in the aughts. The '00s were "their decade". It was their coming of age period. Someone born in the core '80s (1984-1987) would have spent the vast majority or all of their youth period in the aughts. Since that's when you experiment with many different things (say, liking snap or emo), they will eventually outgrow them. When they do (in the '10s), they look back and cringe. They're embarrassed by it. Not enough time has passed for them to really miss what they were into back in their youth.

It explains why '60s babies shook their heads in the '90s at the hair metal and power ballads that they liked in the '80s. But once 2002 hit, they got all warm and fuzzy on the inside. You can also apply it to how the early Baby Boomers miss their '60s hippy days. And how late Boomers also missed their '70s disco dancing days in the '90s.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/27/15 at 11:36 pm

This ^^^^

I'm nostalgic of my childhood of the early-mid 2000's but in no way would I say that the 2000's are retro or its time to revive the 00's or something silly like that. Maybe in like 5-10 years but not now...

So, should I just get nostalgic of my childhood in the mid-late 2000s, rather than not trying to revive stuff from that decade?

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 08/27/15 at 11:43 pm

So, should I just get nostalgic of my childhood in the mid-late 2000s, rather than not trying to revive stuff from that decade?

Honestly you could do whatever you want. All I am saying is most people think its too early to revive things from the 2000's since it just ended.

Written By: Howard on 08/28/15 at 7:08 am

I would rather wait for a few years to have 2000s nostalgia to be in full swing.

about 2020.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/28/15 at 11:05 am

Yeah, that's all totally true. When I first started coming to this site back in 2005, it was mostly dominated by people born in the '70s that were reminiscing about their '80s childhoods. There were only a few of us mid/late '80s borns on here at that time talking about '90s kids stuff, and most of older posters seemed to agree that it was "too early" for '90s nostalgia at that time.

It does seem like it was around 2007 or so that '90s nostalgia started to become more "mainstream", but at that time it was mostly limited to early '90s stuff like Saved by the Bell or TMNT that was basically just a carryover from the '80s anyway. I would say that nostalgia for the "core '90s" really started to come into it's own around 2011 (when Teenick started airing it's '90s Nicktoon block and a huge deal was made about the 20th anniversary of "Nevermind").

Written By: the2001 on 08/28/15 at 12:11 pm

This is like I said probably the first instance of 2000s nostalgia  for an artist I have seen ever.

http://i.imgur.com/DCdKyRu.jpg

Written By: Shemp97 on 08/28/15 at 7:55 pm

Not quite. The 00s saw some similarities(as any one decade following another would), but it alsi saw some huge differences that ushered in a new era and may or may not be confined to the 00s. The rise/popularization or certain music genres like techno, electronic and alternative in the hiphop sector, as well as entire countries music industries like mine were I live. Digital over analoge was caused a major shift in additude. TV moved away from laugh-track sitcoms to dramas, reality and bernie mac/the office-esque sitcoms, including cartoons. Car designs were different. Slang was different. Fashion was different and saw some 00s inventions. Politics and economy were different(depending on the country). It's safe to say that by '05-'06, we were experiencing a distinct world culture never before seen, case in point: players such as China were on the rise. 

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/28/15 at 8:06 pm

Not quite. The 00s saw some similarities(as any one decade following another would), but it alsi saw some huge differences that ushered in a new era and may or may not be confined to the 00s. The rise/popularization or certain music genres like techno, electronic and alternative in the hiphop sector, as well as entire countries music industries like mine were I live. Digital over analoge was caused a major shift in additude. TV moved away from laugh-track sitcoms to dramas, reality and bernie mac/the office-esque sitcoms, including cartoons. Car designs were different. Slang was different. Fashion was different and saw some 00s inventions. Politics and economy were different(depending on the country). It's safe to say that by '05-'06, we were experiencing a distinct world culture never before seen, case in point: players such as China were on the rise.

I can get that the culture from the 2000s were different than culture from the 90s (obviously), but I think the 90s started the modern car design.

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Blue-88-Celebrity-back.jpg
1980s car

http://assets7.thrillist.com/v1/image/1450373/size/tmg-gift_guide_variable/the-15-best-cars-of-the-1990s
1990s car

Notice the differences between those two cars. That 90s car kinda looks modern, even if it was almost 20 years old.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/28/15 at 8:32 pm

I can get that the culture from the 2000s were different than culture from the 90s (obviously), but I think the 90s started the modern car design.

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Blue-88-Celebrity-back.jpg
1980s car

http://assets7.thrillist.com/v1/image/1450373/size/tmg-gift_guide_variable/the-15-best-cars-of-the-1990s
1990s car

Notice the differences between those two cars. That 90s car kinda looks modern, even if it was almost 20 years old.

I disagree, I think the "modern" car design began in late 80s.

1986 Ford Taurus:
http://images.thecarconnection.com/med/1986-ford-taurus_100379684_m.jpg

1989 Nissan Maxima:
http://testdrivejunkie.com/wp-content/uploads/1989-Nissan-Maxima.jpg

1989 Ford Thunderbird:
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/yLT_ZjjPynM/maxresdefault.jpg

1989 Maza Miata:
http://media.windingroad.com/autos_db/galleries/1st_Mazda_Miata__jpg_900x900_q100.jpg

People usually think of boxy devices when discussing 80s technology, but really the more rounded style was already starting to grow prominent in the late 80s, applying not just to cars but also other products (the Sega Genesis, for example, was originally released in 1988 in Japan, at least with its classic model).

Written By: Shemp97 on 08/28/15 at 8:45 pm

1980s car

1990s car

I personally would choose the Honda civic '98 as an example for a "modern" car from the 90s.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a1/1996-1998_Honda_Civic_coupe_--_10-31-2009.jpg

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/29/15 at 12:22 pm

I personally would choose the Honda civic '98 as an example for a "modern" car from the 90s.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a1/1996-1998_Honda_Civic_coupe_--_10-31-2009.jpg

Okay, that's another good example of modern cars in the 90s.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/31/15 at 4:38 pm

True, but I am looking at the larger picture and there was an overarching theme that ran through the entire era.  The brief turn towards social conservatism following 9/11 was the closest thing we had during that era to a major cultural shift. It didn't last though and within a couple of years everything had resumed its course.  By major cultural shift, I am not referring to things like the shift from grunge to post-grunge or gangsta rap to glam rap or a new generation of video game consoles.  I am talking about the overarching zeitgeist and cultural values of the era.
I understand what you're saying, but the overall theme might depend on what the time period represents later in the future.

Yeah some people might view 11 differently, but in the grand scheme of things its transitional year from your childhood (albeit late childhood) to your adolescence. For instance an 11 year old in 6th grade is in the same category as young teens in 8th grade. While an 11 year old in 5th grade is still in his childhood like a 9 year old in 3rd grade. If I were to use myself as an example it would look like this:

Childhood

Early Childhood:

1999-2000 Pre School

2000-2001 PreK

Core Childhood:

2001-2002 Kindergarten

2002-2003 1st Grade

2003-2004 2nd Grade - Absolute Peak in Childhood

2004-2005 3rd Grade

Late Childhood

2005-2006 4th Grade

2006-2007 5th Grade

Youth

Middle School/Tween Years

2007-2008 6th Grade

2008-2009 7th Grade

2009-2010 8th Grade

High School/Teen Years

2010-2011 9th Grade

2011-2012 10th Grade

2012-2013 11th Grade - Absolute Peak in my Youth (regardless if I liked it or not)

2013-2014 12th Grade

College/Young Adult Years

2014-2015 Freshman in College

2015-2016 Sophomore in College

2016-2017 Junior in College

2017-2018 Senior in College

You're right. Some people do see 11 in different ways as it is seen as a transition stage between ES and MS; however, some people see 10 differently as well. Remember that some school districts have 5th grade as the first year in MS which means 4th Grade can be considered the last year of childhood for some people. It's why I see 10 as transitional because one is in puberty; an individual begins to see the world in a general view; and the pop culture influences a person effectively.

As for the bold, it depends on the person. There are people who don't see themselves as young adults at the college stage. Moreover, adolescents can be considered as young adults as well. Back in HS for me, one my teachers saw me, my friends and classmates as young adults.

The person who made the thread was being nostalgic about his early adolescence as that's when he was in MS/HS (It solely depends how the school system is in Canada). It was maybe an exciting time for him.

Here's how I view the stages of life.

Age Zero: A baby!
Ages 1 & 2: Toddlerhood.
Ages 3-12: Childhood - heavily monitored by parents, plays outside a lot, plays video games and has sleepovers with friends. Peak board gaming age.
Ages 13-15: Extended childhood/early adolescence - more freedom, late junior high/early high school, peak video gaming years, listens to extremely aggressive music to discover and assert their identity. However, these people still very much think like a child and are generally immature and incapable of handling stressful situations.
Ages 16-24: Coming of age period; starter jobs, can now drive, has full cognitive logic and reason development in the brain (basically, it's as adult as it can get in this aspect), lack of impulse control (drinking and trying pot and Molly for the first time), listens to mainstream music and watches blockbuster movies more often to fit in with their peers, higher education, going clubbing, becoming more interested in slang, wears trendier clothing, tries to find their own community in which they belong. Experiencing the real world for the first time.
Ages 25-34: Adulthood. Acquiring lower-rank jobs in the workforce. Your youth is over and now you have your sense of identity. You're classic rock!

Ages 35-49: Parenthood and grandparenthood.
Ages 50-65: Winding down on your career.
Ages 66-onwards: Senior Citizenship. Retirement for most folks.

As you can see, the young adulthood/coming of age period is the biggest period of someone's life in which they experience new things. It is an era of constant change, and that is the period that people are most nostalgic for because that's when life was exciting.

How does this apply to this thread? Well, a person born in the '80s (the '90s kids) would have been young in the aughts. The '00s were "their decade". It was their coming of age period. Someone born in the core '80s (1984-1987) would have spent the vast majority or all of their youth period in the aughts. Since that's when you experiment with many different things (say, liking snap or emo), they will eventually outgrow them. When they do (in the '10s), they look back and cringe. They're embarrassed by it. Not enough time has passed for them to really miss what they were into back in their youth.

It explains why '60s babies shook their heads in the '90s at the hair metal and power ballads that they liked in the '80s. But once 2002 hit, they got all warm and fuzzy on the inside. You can also apply it to how the early Baby Boomers miss their '60s hippy days. And how late Boomers also missed their '70s disco dancing days in the '90s.
The 4 stages I bolded vastly depends on the person. Oh and for jobs, people early as 11/12 can start working. Keep in mind that babysitting and/or helping your parents in their workplace are a job( I knew people who did that at that age)

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/28/15 at 8:08 pm

I wouldn't care. Just keep sharing your memories in a positive light. Their beliefs shouldn't bother you.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/29/15 at 10:55 am

I'm sorry, but there were better TV Shows, movies, music, video games, toys, sneakers, clothes and accessories in the '90s.

MTV in 1992

cc4e7PNMK7M

Now, MTV in 2004

HifSB4pPpt4

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 10/04/15 at 1:28 pm

Well, to answer your question, the 2000s were "just yesterday" to the American majority.

Plus, everything that came out of the '00s was for the 2010s,  Baltimoreian. 

Check for new replies or respond here...