inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does "good Family Guy" exist to you?

Written By: Zelek on 08/29/15 at 12:43 pm

Family guy is a pretty divisive show. If you say "I love family guy" on the Internet, someone will probably shoot back at you "You're an idiot for liking that show. Go watch South Park, it's for people who have a brain."

And if you've only seen seasons 4-present, it's rather easy to see why. The characters are cruel, gags go on for unholy amounts of time, 95% cutaway gags, repeating the same jokes episode after episode, and stiff animation. To me, it's just not funny.

However, the early episodes are quite different. It's more of a typical late '90s animated sitcom, with stories/tropes about family life of soccer games, soapbox derbies, teen angst, and lemonade stands that we've seen in a million other cheesy shows. The humor, while still "out there", was cleaner and had a less outrageous element to it, and I feel like the jokes were better executed.

Also, maybe it's just me, but the animation style reminds me somewhat of Recess and other shows from that time.

http://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/media/framegrabs/familyguy/season1/s01e06/s01e06_28.jpg

Do you think the show was good once upon a time, or has it always sucked? @mqg96 @ocarinafan96

Subject: Re: Does "good Family Guy" exist to you?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/29/15 at 12:54 pm

To me, Family Guy was only good until the tenth season, I guess. Now, it's just an overrated piece of crap that everybody wants to get it cancelled again.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 08/29/15 at 1:26 pm

Family guy is a pretty divisive show. If you say "I love family guy" on the Internet, someone will probably shoot back at you "You're an idiot for liking that show. Go watch South Park, it's for people who have a brain."

And if you've only seen seasons 4-present, it's rather easy to see why. The characters are cruel, gags go on for unholy amounts of time, 95% cutaway gags, repeating the same jokes episode after episode, and stiff animation. To me, it's just not funny.

However, the early episodes are quite different. It's more of a typical late '90s animated sitcom, with stories/tropes about family life of soccer games, soapbox derbies, teen angst, and lemonade stands that we've seen in a million other cheesy shows. The humor, while still "out there", was cleaner and had a less outrageous element to it, and I feel like the jokes were better executed.

Also, maybe it's just me, but the animation style reminds me somewhat of Recess and other shows from that time.

http://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/media/framegrabs/familyguy/season1/s01e06/s01e06_28.jpg

Do you think the show was good once upon a time, or has it always sucked? @mqg96 @ocarinafan96

I would say the first 3 seasons were GOLD.

Seasons 4-7 were decent.

Seasons 8 through today are pretty bad

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/29/15 at 1:38 pm

The only good show that I like from Seth MacFarlane is American Dad. Even though I like the Fox seasons better, at least it seems kinda better than Family Guy nowadays.

Written By: Howard on 08/29/15 at 6:07 pm

To me, Family Guy was only good until the tenth season, I guess. Now, it's just an overrated piece of crap that everybody wants to get it cancelled again.

I continue to watch it when it's on.

Written By: Mat1991 on 08/30/15 at 6:26 pm

I've stopped watching that show several years ago mainly because I've lost interest.

I quite enjoy the older episodes up to around the mid-'00s, and even collected the DVD box sets, but I feel it's run its course. Any show that has been in production for longer than a decade I tend to lose interest in. I did the same thing with Degrassi.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 08/30/15 at 7:08 pm

I've stopped watching that show several years ago mainly because I've lost interest.

I quite enjoy the older episodes up to around the mid-'00s, and even collected the DVD box sets, but I feel it's run its course. Any show that has been in production for longer than a decade I tend to lose interest in. I did the same thing with Degrassi.

Speaking about Degrassi they finally ended a The Next Generation. It ended this year and will no longer be shown on Teenick. However they are starting a new show called Degrassi the Next Class and it will be shown on Netflix. It's supposed to appeal to they new generation of high schoolers today

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/30/15 at 7:27 pm

Speaking about Degrassi they finally ended a The Next Generation. It ended this year and will no longer be shown on Teenick. However they are starting a new show called Degrassi the Next Class and it will be shown on Netflix. It's supposed to appeal to they new generation of high schoolers today

I don't think it would appeal to most high schoolers today. And I'm not even interested over Degrassi, so making the show was just pointless.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/31/15 at 9:08 am

It is on the BBC all the time, and I've never watched it.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/31/15 at 4:40 pm

Yes. The first 5 seasons were fantastic. It was when the 6th season it began to decline because of the Writer's Strike that occurred during the 2007-08 season.

Check for new replies or respond here...