inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 2000s could have been much better than they were

Written By: the2001 on 09/01/15 at 3:52 pm

Exclude 9/11 and the economy crash of 2008

The 2000s could have been alot better than they were, not saying they were not good  (they were VERY good)
but it could have been so much more than it was. Maybe it is because the core 2000s years did not last long.

Anyone else agree?

Subject: Re: The 2000s could have been much better than they were

Written By: #Infinity on 09/01/15 at 5:04 pm

The 2000s were definitely a varied decade, more so honestly than the 2010s.  The 90s were also an eclectic period, but by the 2000s, the standardization of the Internet allowed people to explore popular culture at a faster rate than ever before, and for the time being innovation was still reigning supreme.  I remember just about every year of the 2000s introduced some new invention or service that truly blew me away, like the GameCube in 2001, the iPod in 2003, the DS in 2004, Wikipedia in 2005/2006, and YouTube in 2007 (these were the times that I first became aware of these things, not when they technically first came out).  Since a few years into the 2010s, however, the rate of groundbreaking change and creativity has slowed down dramatically, and it no longer feels like there's much diversity in everyday activity, since everybody's glued to their phones and tablets.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/01/15 at 7:44 pm

The 2000s could have been alot better than they were, not saying they were not good  (they were VERY good)
but it could have been so much more than it was. Maybe it is because the core 2000s years did not last long.

Anyone else agree?

How old were you in the '00s?

Most people I know who were kids during the era think its the greatest decade ever.  Teens are somewhat mixed.  I agree it wasn't as good of a time to be a young adult, but it still had its perks.

I personally feel this way about the current era.  I liked early '10s culture and wish it would have evolved in a different direction than it did.

Written By: the2001 on 09/01/15 at 7:49 pm

How old were you in the '00s?

Most people I know who were kids during the era think its the greatest decade ever.  Teens are somewhat mixed.  I agree it wasn't as good of a time to be a young adult, but it still had its perks.

I personally feel this way about the current era.  I liked early '10s culture and wish it would have evolved in a different direction than it did.

I am 27

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/02/15 at 8:05 am

I like the 2000s, but it's not like I would say that it was good only because of the entertainment and crap. Since that's what 90s kids are for. But it's just that it was my childhood decade and that the entertainment from that decade was awesome.

Written By: Shemp97 on 09/02/15 at 7:31 pm

Anyone else agree?

Ehh, 9/11 was only groundbreaking in NY/USA. Outside, people glanced at it and air travel changed a little bit, but people justs resumed business as usual. The rest of the world doesn't concern themselves with terrorist attacks in other countries that much until it happens to them. Even the 90s "could've been better" if the '93 bombings didn't happen.

As for the economic crisis, ehhh, no crisis is better but depending on the country the severity varied. Some countries saw banks needing bailouts and foreclosure while others like mine did not and have seen worse.

Written By: ralfy on 09/05/15 at 3:06 am

Probably not because of peak oil.

Written By: ArcticFox on 09/17/15 at 10:13 pm

Meh. I'd rather be an adolescent now than in the aughts (which I am). I'm glad to be born in 1995, and I would never trade it in for being born in 1985. I would however, LOVE to be born in 1975!  8)

Written By: Arrowstone on 09/18/15 at 8:31 am

Ehh, 9/11 was only groundbreaking in NY/USA. Outside, people glanced at it and air travel changed a little bit, but people justs resumed business as usual. The rest of the world doesn't concern themselves with terrorist attacks in other countries that much until it happens to them. Even the 90s "could've been better" if the '93 bombings didn't happen.

Oh yes it did, at least in Western Europe. 9/11 was big. Lots of countries later on took part in the Afghanistan/Iraq war. Fear for terrorism rose, right-wing "populist" politicians became popular, and there were the attacks on London and Madrid.

Written By: Shemp97 on 09/19/15 at 5:05 pm

Oh yes it did, at least in Western Europe. 9/11 was big. Lots of countries later on took part in the Afghanistan/Iraq war. Fear for terrorism rose, right-wing "populist" politicians became popular, and there were the attacks on London and Madrid.

I think some European countries might've been mildly involved, but I've heard from people from the UK saying 9/11 didn't affect the average citizen in the way it did in America.

Check for new replies or respond here...