inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Star Wars prequel/Clone Wars era (1999-2005)

Written By: Zelek on 09/09/15 at 10:19 pm

I know this technically started in the late 90s, but I consider it much more of an early-mid 2000s thing.

While the prequel films were off *ahem* questionable quality, they spawned a multimedia project of Star Wars material that is considered some of the best in the whole franchise. This includes Genndy Clone Wars, Battlefront games, Republic Commando games, Labyrinth of Evil, Obsession/Republic comics, etc.

Since Episode VII is starting up and will probably spark a "new generation" of SW media, I thought it would be nice to put this thread up.

http://i.imgur.com/Ku5xxDf.jpg

Subject: Re: The Star Wars prequel/Clone Wars era (1999-2005)

Written By: ArcticFox on 09/09/15 at 10:50 pm

How did the Clone Wars multimedia project begin in 2002?

Written By: Zelek on 09/09/15 at 10:53 pm

That's when Attack of the clones was released.

Written By: #Infinity on 09/09/15 at 11:24 pm

You could actually refer back to early 1997 as the official beginning of the "prequel/Clone Wars" era of Star Wars, since that was when Lucasfilm released the Special Edition of the Star Wars trilogy, complete with the types tropes that would come to define the prequel trilogy, such as inserted CGI aliens like Jabba, the smearing of a classic character (Han Solo, in this case), and extraneous computer-generated scenes like in Mos Eisely, Jabba's Palace, and Coruscant.

This scene sums up everything perfectly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jzZOgLH4KU

Even though the new storylines were not yet out, it was already obvious in 1997 that George Lucas had become much more interested in special effects and dumb technicalities than classic storytelling, so the disappointment of the prequel trilogy honestly should not have come as any huge surprise.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/10/15 at 11:30 am

My introduction to Star Wars was the 1997 Special Editions so I actually prefer them, with the exception of the altered Han/Greedo scene.  I understand though that the originals were such classics and cultural icons that tampering with them is like tampering with the Mona Lisa - shouldn't be done.

As for the prequels, I don't think they could have lived up to the hype no matter how good they were.  I really believe this will also plague the upcoming trilogy.  I still wish they wouldn't have done as much pandering to kids (Jar Jar, Pod races), and chose a better actor to play Anakin.  Fix those issues and they would have been excellent movies.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/10/15 at 6:27 pm

You know, if this thread was suppose to be anti-Star Wars prequels, then it should be obvious that everyone here hates the godforsaken prequels. People, get over it. The goddamn prequels were 16, 13 and 10 freaking years old. Why can't you get over them? I'm not even a fan of Star Wars and I really don't care about everyone getting upset over the prequels.

Written By: Zelek on 09/10/15 at 7:29 pm

I didn't create this thread to bash the prequels, I wanted to discuss the SW material from that era. @ocarinafan96 and @mqg96, are you familiar with Star Wars at all?

Written By: mqg96 on 09/10/15 at 7:48 pm

I didn't create this thread to bash the prequels, I wanted to discuss the SW material from that era. @ocarinafan96 and @mqg96, are you familiar with Star Wars at all?

I was never a Star Wars fan growing up. So no however sounds interesting though. The only Star Wars I recall seeing is some of the movies and the 2003 cartoon series.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/10/15 at 7:54 pm

Is this whole thread suppose to be about reminiscing positively about the Star Wars prequel? If so, I really didn't know that.

Written By: Zelek on 09/10/15 at 8:33 pm

Is this whole thread suppose to be about reminiscing positively about the Star Wars prequel? If so, I really didn't know that.

It's meant to be reminiscing on the spinoff media from that time period, not so much the movies.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/10/15 at 8:38 pm

It's meant to be reminiscing on the spinoff media from that time period, not so much the movies.

Oh. I don't really think there was a lot of people who actually cared about the original Clone Wars series.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/10/15 at 11:13 pm

I LOVED Star Wars growing up. :o :o :o  I had the action figures and video games growing up! I saw the original trilogy on vhs first and then saw Star Wars the phantom Menace on VHS in 2000!! As a kid I loved the film, despite the mixed and negative reviews. I think the first one is not bad just not that great, even a little mediocre. The second one was just BAD, not good, just not good. 8-P >:(  I hated the love story between Anikan and Padme! The special effects looked cartoony. Yuck. 8-P  I then watched the first clone wars tv series on CN in 2003. I thought that was sick!! :D  Then Episode 3 was released in 2005, and boy what a GOOD movie it was! :)  EVERYTHING made up the for the crap I got before. The action, characters, and story all kept me at the edge of my seat!! I LOVED being a STAR WARS fan during this time, I can't wait until I introduce my kids to star wars in the future!! :)

Written By: Howard on 09/11/15 at 7:16 am

I was never a Star Wars fan growing up. So no however sounds interesting though. The only Star Wars I recall seeing is some of the movies and the 2003 cartoon series.

I grew up watching the older Star Wars from 1977-1983.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 09/11/15 at 6:42 pm

I always though the prequels were good but the original series being much better. Hopefully Star Wars Episode VII is good!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/11/15 at 8:59 pm

I grew up watching the older Star Wars from 1977-1983.

Yeah I watched them on VHS when I was real little!

Check for new replies or respond here...