inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: YTV and Teletoon in the 00s

Written By: Zelek on 09/16/15 at 3:20 pm

I'm not Canadian (I'm american), so I never watched these channels.

But from what I've heard, they were best in the 90s, still good from 2000-2006, then went downhill in late 06/early 07 when they changed their logos and got rid of classic anime. They also brought in what many say are "horrible government-mandated Flash abominations of mankind", like Almost Naked Animals, Johnny Test (post-season 1), and 6teen.

Question for @Shemp97: since you're Canadian, do you agree with these sentiments?

Subject: Re: YTV and Teletoon in the 00s

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/16/15 at 3:23 pm

Back in my younger days 'YTV' was Yorkshire Television, I guess not the same?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/16/15 at 3:37 pm

Even though I'm American, I did love some of YTV and Teletoon's shows in the 2000s, when they aired it on Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network.

Written By: Howard on 09/17/15 at 2:38 pm

What is YTV?  ???

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/17/15 at 5:56 pm

What is YTV?  ???

YTV was this Canadian channel made for kids that was like Nickelodeon in the U.S. but air different shows in Canada.

Written By: mqg96 on 09/17/15 at 6:41 pm

What is YTV?  ???

Throughout a huge chunk of YTV's history the channel would air Nickelodeon & Cartoon Network shows on the same network.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/18/15 at 1:24 am

Throughout a huge chunk of YTV's history the channel would air Nickelodeon & Cartoon Network shows on the same network.
What is YTV an acronym for?

Written By: Howard on 09/18/15 at 7:06 am

YTV was this Canadian channel made for kids that was like Nickelodeon in the U.S. but air different shows in Canada.

So it was a Canadian version of Nickelodeon.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/18/15 at 7:09 am

Youth? Young?
Tis possible.

Written By: whistledog on 09/18/15 at 4:54 pm

YTV stands for Youth Television.  It was essentially our version of Nickelodeon, until Nickelodeon Canada launched in 2009.

There are a lot of shows on YTV I do not believe are broadcast on American or International channels, however several actors/singers who have made success internationally got their break on YTV Original shows:  Neve Campbell was on Catwalk, Ryan Gosling was on Breaker High, Kathleen Robertson was on Maniac Mansion, Michael Cera was on I Was A Sixth Grade Alien and Alyssa Reid placed 6th on the first season of the reality/singing competition The Next Star.  I know Maniac Mansion aired in the US, but not sure about the others

Who is Alyssa Reid?  In 2011 she reached #2 in the UK chart with this ...

MJZX_fYV3ZI

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/19/15 at 2:13 pm

What is YTV?  ???

YTV was a youth oriented channel that came on the air in Canada in 1988.  It was good in the beginning and then as it went to the early 00s it slowly started to get crappier and crappier.  YTV was supposedly "Canada's Answer To Nickelodeon" which just isn't true anymore.

Teletoon started in 1997 as an answer to Cartoon Network.  But then they started getting crappier and crappier after they lost Duckman and other cartoons that I liked.

Then Teletoon Retro started in 2007 and Corus decided just that it wasn't worth it to keep it going.  :P

Written By: Shemp97 on 09/19/15 at 4:00 pm

Teletoon isn't firmly a 90s channel to necessarily be "better" back then. Most consider it part of the 00s decade domain more than anything as it's best known shows were in that decade. It launched in 1997 with only a handful of original shows(many were very good), the channel is so new that almost all the 90s debuted shows ran into the 00s before ending.

In terms of debut production post-2006, there was an influx of adobe flash-based shows coming into the scene, but most were still decent including Total Drama island(which debuted in 2005 I think) until 2009. The gradual increase in those types of shows in the late 00s kinda sucked, but isn't so much Teletoon's problem as was the decline in new shows during the era till now, kind of a good and bad thing because it left alot of space for older classic programming from the late 90s and early to mid 00s. 2009, was when it began to overrely on flash-based shows and the quality suffered as a consequence, they also began dropping older programming. The logo change this decade is still far more of an indicative change in the channel's history than it's previous logo change. One thing Teletoon was built on that people like about it was experimentation, tons and tons of new and innovative shows debuted in the 00s like Skylands, Delila and Julius, doodlz and Totally spies as well as the 9:00 block with acquired shows like Futurama, Robot chicken and Boondocks.

If you want an idea of what Teletoon was like at its height in the mid-hundreds, here is a few videos.
LsKplw7kC1Y
o7lQKidNTKM
Make note that opinions in the comments vary much more than Nickelodeon on when Teletoon actually fell off the wagon. Half will say 2006(then you have the replys insulting them for that) the other half will say it died sometime in the early 2010s.
L_JLt2E-VTw
YDUVT5T3qeM

Written By: Shemp97 on 09/19/15 at 4:36 pm

YTV, largely the same as Teletoon except YTV has been around for almost 30 years and has garnered a bit of a 90s elitist niche. It also has an emerging 00s elitist niche because many of its best known shows debuted in the 00s aswell as the 80s and 90s. People are also fond of the pre-2010s YTV because of the hosts, especially the edgyness of the between programming segments in the 90s and the Carlos/Sugar chemistry of the 00s.
ooNydKg3acc

Much of the programming was based on acquired Nickelodeon programming, but there was an emergence of original programming in the 00s with The Next Star, Mystery hunters, Being Ian, Jacob two two and Ghost trakers hitting the scene.

Some commercial reels
pUGcjzF2SMo
-uw7PFRuwVU
LEg2c1AK7sI

Check for new replies or respond here...