inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Everything after 2004/5/6/7 sucks"

Written By: Zelek on 09/26/15 at 11:22 am

I've heard this sentiment a lot on the Internet, mostly from people who are stuck in the past. They think that after December 31, 2004/5/6/7, a switch was flipped that caused the world to go downhill, mainly due to the rise of social media obsession and the economic crash. Also, they think those years sucked because their favorite childhood show got cancelled, or because the "90s influence" died out, which I think is stupid.

Do you agree or disagree with it?

Subject: Re: "Everything after 2004/5/6/7 sucks"

Written By: Mat1991 on 09/26/15 at 11:29 am

I've heard this sentiment a lot on the Internet, mostly from people who are stuck in the past. They think that after December 31, 2004/5/6/7, a switch was flipped that caused the world to go downhill, mainly due to the rise of social media obsession and the economic crash. Also, they think those years sucked because their favorite childhood show got cancelled, which I think is stupid.

Ironic, considering how many of them probably posted that on social media websites.

Written By: Zelek on 09/26/15 at 11:37 am

Ironic, considering how many of them probably posted that on social media websites.

Facebook has a lot of those kinds of posts.

Written By: #Infinity on 09/26/15 at 11:40 am

It was also the time music first went noticeably downhill, with top 40 station polluted with lowbrow snap like Crank That and other ridiculous pop tracks like My Humps. Aditionally, video gaming started to enter its uncreative, commercial, FPS-and-story-flooded era around this time. 2004 was the last truly excellent year in gaming, in my opinion, though a lot of modern gamers argue in favor of 2007.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/26/15 at 11:46 am

It was also the time music first went noticeably downhill, with top 40 station polluted with lowbrow snap like Crank That and other ridiculous pop tracks like My Humps. Aditionally, video gaming started to enter its uncreative, commercial, FPS-and-story-flooded era around this time. 2004 was the last truly excellent year in gaming, in my opinion, though a lot of modern gamers argue in favor of 2007.

You know what I slightly prefer 2007 over 2004. That was a DAMNED good year! and I don't even really consider myself a modern gamer anymore. But yes you're correct the second half of the 6th generation things were indeed noticeably starting to change and feel different. That's why I consider the 6th gen to be a MAJOR transitional period in gaming.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/26/15 at 11:58 am

Any year or decade is good when you are blessed with God's Gracious Gift of being alive.

Written By: mqg96 on 09/26/15 at 12:39 pm

Well I'll say this, I know a ton sheesh load of 90's kids/teens and early 2000's kids/teens who believe that all the pop culture after 2003 sucks, or life from 2004 & onwards is bland or terrible. Whether it's music, TV shows, cartoons, or games becoming bad, or technology in society becoming more over technologically advanced after 2003. They believe that the early 2000's (2000-2003) was the last great time the pop culture was great or when technology wasn't that advanced yet. I've heard tons of folks who grew up in the 90's say this. I hear it at least once a month on any forum I go to. No I disagree there was still tons of great pop culture well after 2003 or 2004.

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/26/15 at 1:19 pm

I'm one of the people that believe the Early-Middle 2000s are the last good days. I'm just more positive with my beliefs and state my reasons based on certain categories. I'm stuck in the past but I don't brag about it of try to influence the same addiction on to other 90s kids. As I stated in a similar thread, technology has the majority under its control as ridiculous that may sound. You know what I'm trying to say. Balance is important. Until I find a partner, my past addiction won't change.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/26/15 at 1:36 pm

I've heard this sentiment a lot on the Internet, mostly from people who are stuck in the past. They think that after December 31, 2004/5/6/7, a switch was flipped that caused the world to go downhill, mainly due to the rise of social media obsession and the economic crash. Also, they think those years sucked because their favorite childhood show got cancelled, or because the "90s influence" died out, which I think is stupid.

Hmm.  I would say everything after December 31, 2011 sucked, but that's for personal reasons.

Written By: Arrowstone on 09/26/15 at 3:23 pm

I never bought a game after 2005, though I still regularly game  ???

Sucking or not, we have to go through these days :p

Written By: sonic2005 on 09/26/15 at 10:04 pm

i think the 00s went downhill after 06 to be honest....

Written By: Zelek on 09/26/15 at 10:33 pm

i think the 00s went downhill after 06 to be honest....

December 31, 2006? ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 09/26/15 at 10:54 pm

I haven't considered radio music 'good' since 1998. :.shrugs shoulders:.

Written By: Jquar on 09/27/15 at 12:13 am

I'm going to agree with the notion that the pop charts in the US begin to really deteroriate noticeably in the mid 2000s. 2005 was the first time I started to stray from even attempting to follow current music trends, as the lack of anything appealing on the radio was getting frustrating.

I don't think music has really recovered to where it was at in the late 1990s and early 2000s yet either. There have been good moments here and there, but I don't think many truly great artists have emerged from the last decade in music sadly.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/27/15 at 10:36 am

I really don't agree with the people who say that everything after 2004/5/6/7 sucks. Although, I think that ever since late 2009, things went downhill and started to be like the 2010s.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/27/15 at 11:43 am

Well I'll say this, I know a ton sheesh load of 90's kids/teens and early 2000's kids/teens who believe that all the pop culture after 2003 sucks, or life from 2004 & onwards is bland or terrible. Whether it's music, TV shows, cartoons, or games becoming bad, or technology in society becoming more over technologically advanced after 2003. They believe that the early 2000's (2000-2003) was the last great time the pop culture was great or when technology wasn't that advanced yet. I've heard tons of folks who grew up in the 90's say this. I hear it at least once a month on any forum I go to. No I disagree there was still tons of great pop culture well after 2003 or 2004.

This has really become one of my biggest pet peeves in recent years. It seems like the only thing that people can universally agree on is that everything has gone downhill compared to when they grew up. I'll admit that I sometimes fall into this, as I think most of us do tend to default back to what was popular when we were kids/teens, but I usually try to avoid it as best I can.

Besides, it's pretty rich for '90s kids to now be attacking today's kids for having too much technology/playing too many video games/never going outside/etc. when we were criticized for the exact same thing back then. I remember my aunt complaining back in the day that all my cousin and I ever did was sit around the house and play Game Boy, and how she had to go out and play since she didn't have all that "newfangled" technology when she was growing up.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/27/15 at 8:45 pm

People say the same thing about the 70's, 80's, 90's, etc...

In the 2030's, people who will go on about how much they miss the 2010's. Every generation thinks there generation is the best. Every era has its good and bad things.

I'm burnt out on this "current era sucks' crap.

I wouldn't. This decade just feels so dull to me.

Written By: #Infinity on 09/27/15 at 9:18 pm

I think it has to do with a bit more than just people preferring their own respective eras.  First of all, at least coming from my own perspective (though it seems like a lot of people agree), stuff produced as recently as 2011 and especially 2009/2010 was still pretty darn solid for the most part.  In fact, the vast bulk of it was superior to what was dominant during 2005-2008, a time when I should have been fully immersed in the youth culture of the day.  I'll admit I have a nostalgia for certain parts of the latter period, mostly related to my personal life, but I don't think the culture of that time is at all golden, nor that society has been on a consistent downfall since the early 2000s.  If anything, I most enjoy stuff produced during the 1980s, a decade during which I hadn't even been born yet, as well as the 90s, which until the millennial era I was too young to have had a true grasp of.

The problem with the past few years, at least as I gather in, is that technology, music, gaming, etc. have hardly progressed in any significant direction and instead mostly feel like watered down continuations of trends that were more groundbreaking during the late 2000s and early 2010s.  People are well beyond their initial excitement about the wonders of YouTube and social media, and they're growing increasingly tired of listening to predominantly electronic dance music after 6 long years, especially considering the genre passed its peak years ago.  I'm sure that by the 2030s or maybe late 2020s, people will reminisce heavily on House of Cards, Orange Is the New Black, Wii U, Frozen, the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Epic Rap Battles of History, McConaissance movies, disco revival songs, the Despicable Me minions, Gangham style, etc., but I think it's at least pretty agreeable that this decade hasn't been all that to the majority of people who weren't simply raised through it as part of their childhood.

Written By: christopher on 09/28/15 at 4:02 am

To be honest I miss the offline living style from back then. Nowadays you have to have a social media account and I dislike social media, except forums. What I like is that you are able to preserve your memories easier now with smartphone cameras. I was able to download many photos from the Internet and even videos of the area where I worked in 2013! I bet older generations wish they had that ability to preserve their memories. Now I can tell my kids in the future "See this is the place I used to work when I was 25", "Oh and this is how the mall looked back then, and here's a video of my way to work". :D I wish we had that tech back in 2001 so that I could preserve it in the same way but I digress. Well, at least I have more than 500 photos and many videos from 2013. Heck, I even downloaded my favorite TV commercials from 2013 from YouTube. :)

When it comes to music, I feel most 90's and 00's music sucked before 2008. In fact I believe music improved in the late 00's and early 2010's. I think 2013 was the first truly great year of music since I remember. I was born in 1988 and believe me music in the 90's was terrible for my liking. Thank God that many stations would play 80's music videos, now that is what I call great pop music and artistic music videos! I think movies and TV shows probably were better in the 90's and early 00's but music was inferior to 2008-2013 music. 2013 was the first truly great year in music I experienced imo. Before that I regarded 1981-1985 as great but they were before my time. I don't regard any year from the 1990's or the 2000's as great musically.

Written By: Howard on 09/28/15 at 7:12 am

Nowadays you have to have a social media account and I dislike social media, except forums

I definitely agree, I dislike social media too.

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/28/15 at 9:57 am

To be honest I miss the offline living style from back then. Nowadays you have to have a social media account and I dislike social media, except forums. What I like is that you are able to preserve your memories easier now with smartphone cameras. I was able to download many photos from the Internet and even videos of the area where I worked in 2013! I bet older generations wish they had that ability to preserve their memories. Now I can tell my kids in the future "See this is the place I used to work when I was 25", "Oh and this is how the mall looked back then, and here's a video of my way to work". :D I wish we had that tech back in 2001 so that I could preserve it in the same way but I digress. Well, at least I have more than 500 photos and many videos from 2013. Heck, I even downloaded my favorite TV commercials from 2013 from YouTube. :)

When it comes to music, I feel most 90's and 00's music sucked before 2008. In fact I believe music improved in the late 00's and early 2010's. I think 2013 was the first truly great year of music since I remember. I was born in 1988 and believe me music in the 90's was terrible for my liking. Thank God that many stations would play 80's music videos, now that is what I call great pop music and artistic music videos! I think movies and TV shows probably were better in the 90's and early 00's but music was inferior to 2008-2013 music. 2013 was the first truly great year in music I experienced imo. Before that I regarded 1981-1985 as great but they were before my time. I don't regard any year from the 1990's or the 2000's as great musically.

.. Your not speaking for every music genre as a whole, right? Because 90s-2000s Hip Hop and R&B is so better then the versions of today. Hip Hop today is plain annoying and R&B was basically absorbed.

Written By: Shemp97 on 09/28/15 at 12:44 pm

Pretty hilarious as 2000-03 where the good as was '06 to '09. 2006 onward saw the rise/return of msuic genres like emo and alternative hiphop with artists like Kanye, Lupe and k-os smashing the charts around the world. while I do prefer tv in the early 00s. The late 00s was no slouch in new programming with Harper's island and Supernatural in the adult TV programming and Avatar, Di-gata, Mighty bee, TDI and Chowder in the cartoon sector. Wii and 360 were awesome during that sub-era, never owned a PS3 so I can't say the same but I'm sure it was decent(but wallet gouging).

Written By: #Infinity on 09/28/15 at 2:52 pm

Pretty hilarious as 2000-03 where the good as was '06 to '09. 2006 onward saw the rise/return of msuic genres like emo and alternative hiphop with artists like Kanye, Lupe and k-os smashing the charts around the world. while I do prefer tv in the early 00s. The late 00s was no slouch in new programming with Harper's island and Supernatural in the adult TV programming and Avatar, Di-gata, Mighty bee, TDI and Chowder in the cartoon sector. Wii and 360 were awesome during that sub-era, never owned a PS3 so I can't say the same but I'm sure it was decent(but wallet gouging).

It seems like Canada missed out on the worst parts of the mid-late 2000s in the United States (Bush's second term, snap music), so I'm not surprised you're more nostalgic for the culture of that period than the American users here are.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/28/15 at 2:55 pm

It seems like Canada missed out on the worst parts of the mid-late 2000s in the United States (Bush's second term, snap music), so I'm not surprised you're more nostalgic for the culture of that period than the American users here are.

Or unless you were a kid in the mid-late 2000s (like me) and pretty much didn't give a crap about Bush's second term and his bullcrap behind it.

Written By: sonikuu on 09/29/15 at 4:37 am

I remember when people used to say everything from 1999 onward sucked.  Then it became 2001, with 9/11.  Now, it's been moved to the mid-00s.  It's just a case of people aging and getting nostalgic.  Pretty soon, the bar will be moved up to the late 00s with time.

Written By: mqg96 on 09/29/15 at 8:00 am

I remember when people used to say everything from 1999 onward sucked. 

Hahahaha, 1999 is just a number and it was just the turn of a new decade, people saying as soon as January 1, 2000 hit everything went to s**t, they're just joking go get your goat. The years 1999 & 2000 were no different pop culturally.

Then it became 2001, with 9/11. 

Actually, this is still common today on many forums or sites, oh yes, a lot of folks who grew up in the 90's but even before then too, believe that when 9/11 happened that not only bumped up the security everywhere, but they say that it affected the pop culture and things started changing for the worse. They'll say that because of 9/11 "TV started getting watered down", "technology started becoming more advanced whether its the rise of social media sites", "people getting addicted to phones", or anything else where technology has taken over our lives. Unlike before 9/11, when "TV used to be perfect", "technology was much simpler", "parents were more lenient to kids", "kids still played outside", etc. They also say that because of 9/11 "music started getting watered down", and "the vibe wasn't the same anymore where it used to be a "simpler time" in society". While they say that 9/11 was the start of things going downhill, they'll say 2002 & 2003, or the mid 2000's, were transitional times after 9/11 happened before 2004, 2005, 2006, or 2007 hit, when the process was done and everything pop culturally got completely bad altogether. So they use 9/11 as a reason for the beginning of the end, before the nail in the coffin once the mid or late 2000's started, depending on the person's opinion.

Now, it's been moved to the mid-00s.  It's just a case of people aging and getting nostalgic.  Pretty soon, the bar will be moved up to the late 00s with time.

Well as of now, the majority of the people I notice who mourn and complain and say "everything sucks now", "oh I miss the 90's", "oh life is so miserable now", believe that the pop culture after 2003 or 2004 ended totally went to crap. However, not everyone feels this way, the "Early 90's Guy" or whoever that dude is believes that the pop culture after 1992 sucks, regardless of 9/11 happening much later on. So there are exceptions. I don't care what these people say, there's much more to life to discover over the years. So what if your favorite shows on TV, music, or whatever isn't having a good year, I'm still enjoying each season of college football & the NFL every year. I'm excited to see what vacation I'm going on next break or summer. Be blessed that we at least have freedom in America. Personally I glad I wasn't born into this earth before the 60's, and I'm blessed I wasn't born in another country where persecution or poverty is up thereat the max. I'm blessed to be an American citizen right now who was born in the mid 90's 8) so there's always something to offer or discover every year in life.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 10/02/15 at 10:56 pm

Actually, this is still common today on many forums or sites, oh yes, a lot of folks who grew up in the 90's but even before then too, believe that when 9/11 happened that not only bumped up the security everywhere, but they say that it affected the pop culture and things started changing for the worse. They'll say that because of 9/11 "TV started getting watered down", "technology started becoming more advanced whether its the rise of social media sites", "people getting addicted to phones", or anything else where technology has taken over our lives. Unlike before 9/11, when "TV used to be perfect", "technology was much simpler", "parents were more lenient to kids", "kids still played outside", etc. They also say that because of 9/11 "music started getting watered down", and "the vibe wasn't the same anymore where it used to be a "simpler time" in society". While they say that 9/11 was the start of things going downhill, they'll say 2002 & 2003, or the mid 2000's, were transitional times after 9/11 happened before 2004, 2005, 2006, or 2007 hit, when the process was done and everything pop culturally got completely bad altogether. So they use 9/11 as a reason for the beginning of the end, before the nail in the coffin once the mid or late 2000's started, depending on the person's opinion.

Well as of now, the majority of the people I notice who mourn and complain and say "everything sucks now", "oh I miss the 90's", "oh life is so miserable now", believe that the pop culture after 2003 or 2004 ended totally went to crap. However, not everyone feels this way, the "Early 90's Guy" or whoever that dude is believes that the pop culture after 1992 sucks, regardless of 9/11 happening much later on. So there are exceptions. I don't care what these people say, there's much more to life to discover over the years. So what if your favorite shows on TV, music, or whatever isn't having a good year, I'm still enjoying each season of college football & the NFL every year. I'm excited to see what vacation I'm going on next break or summer. Be blessed that we at least have freedom in America. Personally I glad I wasn't born into this earth before the 60's, and I'm blessed I wasn't born in another country where persecution or poverty is up thereat the max. I'm blessed to be an American citizen right now who was born in the mid 90's 8) so there's always something to offer or discover every year in life.

Point 1: I hate that because it's stupid and untrue. I am tried of idiots who either wouldn't even remember 9/11 or sat on their lazy asses when it was on TV go on about it. It's like "Once the first tower hit, everything suddenly changed" when that is the furthest thing from the truth.

Point 2: I will admit I am guilty of this. I connected with the pop culture of 2000-2003 way better than anything 2004 and after. Not to say it was all good (Nu Metal for starters) but I had a lot of fun then. It was the last time I could turn on the TV or radio and enjoy the current hits as I was big into Pop Punk stuff like blink-182. One thing I don't get is why people include 2004 and even 2005 with the early 00's. Maybe early 2004, but by the summer a good amount the 2000-2003 trends had died out aside from some of the stuff that started in late 2003 but didn't really take effect until 2004. By 2005, it felt like a different world from 2000-2003. The 2000's, much like the 90's, were full of change, though. Even 2008 and 2009 feel a lot different than 2004-2006/early 2007, too.

Written By: ArcticFox on 10/09/15 at 9:37 pm

No, that's not true, because the early 2000's were pretty suckish as well. I just finished watching "Freaky Friday", and the humor is ridiculous. Teen movies always have the teen as the protagonist, while the parent(s) are the antagonists. However, I didn't find this the case at all.

Anna is completely unlikeable; she is undisciplined, she dresses awfully, her hair is disgusting, she is ungrateful, her personality is awful, and her friends are selfish and rude (they basically mirror her). Her brother is unrealistically annoying, and her grandfather is unrealistically clueless. Mrs. Coleman is actually very like able. She isn't "stodgy", she isn't tyrannical, she keeps her cool, and she looked better before the "makeover" (more like under, as she looked better before).

I also don't like the fast-paced, dizzying, ADD humor. It reminds me of the tasteless Ryan Murphy productions, as well as Mean Girls and The Devil Wears Prada. My sense of humor is more mature and much more slower-paced.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 10/09/15 at 10:36 pm

No, that's not true, because the early 2000's were pretty suckish as well. I just finished watching "Freaky Friday", and the humor is ridiculous. Teen movies always have the teen as the protagonist, while the parent(s) are the antagonists. However, I didn't find this the case at all.

Anna is completely unlikeable; she is undisciplined, she dresses awfully, her hair is disgusting, she is ungrateful, her personality is awful, and her friends are selfish and rude (they basically mirror her). Her brother is unrealistically annoying, and her grandfather is unrealistically clueless. Mrs. Coleman is actually very like able. She isn't "stodgy", she isn't tyrannical, she keeps her cool, and she looked better before the "makeover" (more like under, as she looked better before).

I also don't like the fast-paced, dizzying, ADD humor. It reminds me of the tasteless Ryan Murphy productions, as well as Mean Girls and The Devil Wears Prada. My sense of humor is more mature and much more slower-paced.

That's purely subjective. You can't based an entire era off of one stupid movie. You could say the 90's sucked because of movies like Batman and Robin or Godzilla based off of that logic. The early 00's were great for teens/young adults of the time such as me, my friends and my sister. 2000-2002 and most of 2003 were more like the 90's than 00's, so the culture of the time still appealed to us. Besides, 2000-2003 was the prime of the PS2; the greatest console ever made. I miss that rad and extreme new millennium attitude. A great time to be 17-21.

Written By: mqg96 on 10/10/15 at 6:22 am

No, that's not true, because the early 2000's were pretty suckish as well. I just finished watching "Freaky Friday", and the humor is ridiculous.

You can't say that. One movie the final be all of a certain era? Your opinion is just laughable. Yes I get frustrated too when people make fun of 2004 & onwards, but that doesn't mean the early 2000's were terrible. Whether you were a kid, teen, or adult in the early 2000's there were tons of positives and negatives about it. IMO ignoring 9/11 it was the best era to be a kid compared to the rest of the 2000's decade. The pop culture was colorful and amazing. No I wasn't a teen or young adult during the early 2000's so I really can't speak for the pop culture geared towards them during the time. But when it comes to the kids stuff at the time me being 4-7 from 2000-2003, the early 2000's had some of the greatest movies, toys, cards, and TV shows/channels at the time. Freaky Friday was bad, ok I agree with you on that, but how about Lord of the Rings, The Fast & the Furious, Lilo & Stitch, Elf, or Harry Potter just beginning? Also, I remember all the toys and fads being in its prime at the time, like Pokemon/Yu-Gi-Oh cards, the crazy LEGO toys at the time, Planet Hot Wheels stuff, and much more. Cartoon Network was at its peak and 2002 was the best year for that channel without a question. One of my other best memories from the early 2000's was going to Walmart a lot with my mom and going to malls with my cousins and I remember how different the vibe felt. I can respect your opinion, but just off one movie is not reasonable.

Written By: SpyroKev on 10/10/15 at 9:25 am

His signature is "Living and breathing the 90s. People that fully experienced the 90s quickly praised the era or just love to jump on the 90s band wagon. Not to say ArcticFox doesn't seem like a cool guy.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/10/15 at 10:40 am

His signature is "Living and breathing the 90s. People that fully experienced the 90s quickly praised the era or just love to jump on the 90s band wagon. Not to say ArcticFox doesn't seem like a cool guy.

If I remember correctly, ArcticFox was born around 1995, making him 20.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 10/10/15 at 1:14 pm

You can't say that. One movie the final be all of a certain era? Your opinion is just laughable. Yes I get frustrated too when people make fun of 2004 & onwards, but that doesn't mean the early 2000's were terrible. Whether you were a kid, teen, or adult in the early 2000's there were tons of positives and negatives about it. IMO ignoring 9/11 it was the best era to be a kid compared to the rest of the 2000's decade. The pop culture was colorful and amazing. No I wasn't a teen or young adult during the early 2000's so I really can't speak for the pop culture geared towards them during the time. But when it comes to the kids stuff at the time me being 4-7 from 2000-2003, the early 2000's had some of the greatest movies, toys, cards, and TV shows/channels at the time. Freaky Friday was bad, ok I agree with you on that, but how about Lord of the Rings, The Fast & the Furious, Lilo & Stitch, Elf, or Harry Potter just beginning? Also, I remember all the toys and fads being in its prime at the time, like Pokemon/Yu-Gi-Oh cards, the crazy LEGO toys at the time, Planet Hot Wheels stuff, and much more. Cartoon Network was at its peak and 2002 was the best year for that channel without a question. One of my other best memories from the early 2000's was going to Walmart a lot with my mom and going to malls with my cousins and I remember how different the vibe felt. I can respect your opinion, but just off one movie is not reasonable.

I think there were more positives than negatives. If you like the culture from 1996-1999 then I see no reason why 2000-2003 wouldn't be right up your alley. And I agree, it was a great time for kids. When I'd babysit some of my younger cousins and my nephew; we'd watch TV like Dexter's Laboratory and Johnny Bravo, play both Playstations and then we'd go out and see whatever movies were out. It was a much simpler time back then. In 2004-2006, things weren't too bad (I'm not saying kids didn't go outside and we automatically became some super-techo society because that's not true) but it's definitely the time when things started (keyword is started) to get more complicated and technological. There was a lot of great stuff coming out at the time. I could dismiss the whole 90's because of Critters 3 and 4 with this logic! Where's the sense in that?

If he was born in 1995, then he'd have minimal 90's cultural experience at most and wouldn't have been able to fully absorb the cultural trends and be aware of what was going on at the time, unlike me and other people my age who were teenagers back then. Not saying kids born from then can't remember and know about the 90's but they're not exactly the best source for this type of information, especially if they dismiss the early 2000's. Most people I know who are my age loved the early 2000's and still look back fondly on them.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/10/15 at 1:16 pm

I think he's 19 1/2, I remember him saying his birthday was a month after mine.

Written By: mqg96 on 10/10/15 at 1:31 pm

I think there were more positives than negatives. If you like the culture from 1996-1999 then I see no reason why 2000-2003 wouldn't be right up your alley. And I agree, it was a great time for kids. When I'd babysit some of my younger cousins and my nephew; we'd watch TV like Dexter's Laboratory and Johnny Bravo, play both Playstations and then we'd go out and see whatever movies were out. It was a much simpler time back then. In 2004-2006, things weren't too bad (I'm not saying kids didn't go outside and we automatically became some super-techo society because that's not true) but it's definitely the time when thi ngsstarted (keyword is started) to get more complicated and technological. There was a lot of great stuff coming out at the time. I could dismiss the whole 90's because of Critters 3 and 4 with this logic! Where's the sense in that?

IDK man, there were some ups and downs about the mid 2000's (2004-2006) when it came to being a kid. Also I understand why you say that the mid 2000's was the beginning of things becoming more advanced in society, because of social media sites like Myspace, Facebook, & Youtube coming out, which were the building branches of that direction. Plus cell phones and iPod's started gaining popularity around the time as well. One thing from my childhood I hated about 2004 was when that Planet Hot Wheels website (amazing, forgotten underrated franchise) got shutdown unexpectedly, and it never came back again. I bet people felt the same way about what happened to Pokemon, DBZ, or other slaps in the childhood/adolescence issues as well. I remember that weird shift how things felt different during my 3rd grade year (2004-2005) unlike how 2nd grade (2003-2004) and earlier used to feel. Yeah, it seemed like the changes throughout 2004 were overnight, but it was still a great time for me, I was 8-10 throughout the mid 2000's so my childhood was obviously still at its peak, but I do agree with you that the pop culture from 2000-2003 was much better. Especially when it comes to the toys and the way cartoon channels were at the time. When it comes to movies, I loved the variety of epic movies 2001-2003 and 2005 offered. I don't care about the movies from 2000. 2004 was mostly good but not perfect. 2006 was terrible IMO. However, 2001, 2003 and 2004 were EPIC years for the video gaming industry from what I remember. Especially 2004 with 6th generation gaming at its peak.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 10/10/15 at 1:44 pm

IDK man, there were some ups and downs about the mid 2000's (2004-2006) when it came to being a kid. One thing I hated about 2004 was when that Planet Hot Wheels website (amazing, forgotten underrated franchise) got shutdown unexpectedly, and it never came back again. I remember that weird shift how things felt different during my 3rd grade year (2004-2005) unlike how 2nd grade (2003-2004) and earlier used to feel. Yeah, it seemed like the changes throughout 2004 were overnight, but it was still a great time for me, I was 8-10 throughout the mid 2000's so my childhood was obviously still at its peak, but I do agree with you that the pop culture from 2000-2003 was much better. Especially when it comes to the toys and the way cartoon channels were at the time. When it comes to movies, I loved the variety of epic movies 2001-2003 and 2005 offered. I don't care about the movies from 2000. 2004 was mostly good but not perfect. 2006 was terrible IMO. However, 2001, 2003 and 2004 were EPIC years for the video gaming industry from what I remember. Especially 2004 with 6th generation gaming at its peak.

I think, if we look at it from school years, the 2003-2004 year is the first year to experience some sort of transition and 2004-2005 is when it all came into full effect. 2002-2003 is the last 90's (or more accurately, millennium-era) school year, in my opinion. Of course, I'm class of 2000 so I wasn't in school then but my sister graduated in 2003 and her yearbooks are filled with the same type of cultural influence as mine are. I don't really like much from 2004-2006 aside from video games but I don't think it was necessarily a terrible time, it's just not for my tastes. Especially for a guy like me who's into all the Skate and Pop Punk stuff. 2004 is when Pop Punk and Emo went from MxPx, blink-182, Jimmy Eat World, The Get Up Kids, old Green Day to Fallout Boy, the new eyeliner Green Day and My Chemical Romance. Of course, those bands existed pre-2004 but their lesser known debuts are actually pretty decent. I just watched both Spider Man and Spider Man 2 (not that horrible third one, though. That's a piece of crap) yesterday and the different vibes from those movies is really noticeable. Even the soundtrack. 2002's soundtrack had these heavy rock songs with very "extreme" attitudes whereas Spider Man 2's had softer, more subdued songs. Though, the first one did have it's fair-share of softer songs the vibe is still totally different. Maybe, that's just because the second movie was about Peter Parker's maturing and learning to balance his life but it definitely represents the cultural difference between 2002 and 2004. I think that gaming was really good from 1995-2006, especially when the PS2 came out in 2000. That console is still the best thing ever with the PS1, N64 and Dreamcast not too far behind it (too bad it had to die so soon. Jet Set Radio anyone?). Video games from 2004-2006 were a lot of fun, too. Both Destroy All Humans games are my two favorites from that time period. The Xbox 360 started it but once the PS3 came along, that was it. Gaming hasn't been fun for me since.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/10/15 at 2:09 pm

I think, if we look at it from school years, the 2003-2004 year is the first year to experience some sort of transition and 2004-2005 is when it all came into full effect. 2002-2003 is the last 90's (or more accurately, millennium-era) school year, in my opinion. Of course, I'm class of 2000 so I wasn't in school then but my sister graduated in 2003 and her yearbooks are filled with the same type of cultural influence as mine are. I don't really like much from 2004-2006 aside from video games but I don't think it was necessarily a terrible time, it's just not for my tastes. Especially for a guy like me who's into all the Skate and Pop Punk stuff. 2004 is when Pop Punk and Emo went from MxPx, blink-182, Jimmy Eat World, The Get Up Kids, old Green Day to Fallout Boy, the new eyeliner Green Day and My Chemical Romance. Of course, those bands existed pre-2004 but their lesser known debuts are actually pretty decent. I just watched both Spider Man and Spider Man 2 (not that horrible third one, though. That's a piece of crap) yesterday and the different vibes from those movies is really noticeable. Even the soundtrack. 2002's soundtrack had these heavy rock songs with very "extreme" attitudes whereas Spider Man 2's had softer, more subdued songs. Though, the first one did have it's fair-share of softer songs the vibe is still totally different. Maybe, that's just because the second movie was about Peter Parker's maturing and learning to balance his life but it definitely represents the cultural difference between 2002 and 2004. I think that gaming was really good from 1995-2006, especially when the PS2 came out in 2000. That console is still the best thing ever with the PS1, N64 and Dreamcast not too far behind it (too bad it had to die so soon. Jet Set Radio anyone?). Video games from 2004-2006 were a lot of fun, too. Both Destroy All Humans games are my two favorites from that time period. The Xbox 360 started it but once the PS3 came along, that was it. Gaming hasn't been fun for me since.

Yeah Spider-Man 1 has more of a rebellious and attitude feel. While Spider-Man 2 had a darker and more serious tone.

And yeah the 5th gen 6th gen and first half of 7th gen gaming was fun and it hasn't felt fun since

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/10/15 at 2:14 pm

IDK man, there were some ups and downs about the mid 2000's (2004-2006) when it came to being a kid. Also I understand why you say that the mid 2000's was the beginning of things becoming more advanced in society, because of social media sites like Myspace, Facebook, & Youtube coming out, which were the building branches of that direction. Plus cell phones and iPod's started gaining popularity around the time as well. One thing from my childhood I hated about 2004 was when that Planet Hot Wheels website (amazing, forgotten underrated franchise) got shutdown unexpectedly, and it never came back again. I bet people felt the same way about what happened to Pokemon, DBZ, or other slaps in the childhood/adolescence issues as well. I remember that weird shift how things felt different during my 3rd grade year (2004-2005) unlike how 2nd grade (2003-2004) and earlier used to feel. Yeah, it seemed like the changes throughout 2004 were overnight, but it was still a great time for me, I was 8-10 throughout the mid 2000's so my childhood was obviously still at its peak, but I do agree with you that the pop culture from 2000-2003 was much better. Especially when it comes to the toys and the way cartoon channels were at the time. When it comes to movies, I loved the variety of epic movies 2001-2003 and 2005 offered. I don't care about the movies from 2000. 2004 was mostly good but not perfect. 2006 was terrible IMO. However, 2001, 2003 and 2004 were EPIC years for the video gaming industry from what I remember. Especially 2004 with 6th generation gaming at its peak.

Yup it was a RUDE awakening when misty left Pokemon, DBZ ended and DBGT premiered >:(!

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 10/10/15 at 3:31 pm

Yup it was a RUDE awakening when misty left Pokemon, DBZ ended and DBGT premiered >:(!

So true, but you still had some great action anime and cartoons in the mid 00's like Naruto, Zatch Bell, One Piece, Sonc X, and Avatar!

Written By: JordanK1982 on 10/11/15 at 2:53 pm

Yeah Spider-Man 1 has more of a rebellious and attitude feel. While Spider-Man 2 had a darker and more serious tone.

And yeah the 5th gen 6th gen and first half of 7th gen gaming was fun and it hasn't felt fun since

And that attitude was the cultural attitude of 2000-2003. Spider-Man is one of those movies I point people towards if they want to know what the vibe of the early 00's felt like.

I'd say there were some decent games from the beginning but nothing really caught my attention. Around the time Call of Duty 4 came out, it's been nothing but online 1st person shooters.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/11/15 at 3:36 pm

And that attitude was the cultural attitude of 2000-2003. Spider-Man is one of those movies I point people towards if they want to know what the vibe of the early 00's felt like.

Yeah, I feel that the change between 1 and 2 was that I guess Peter had become more mature and dealt with more adult issues in the 2nd one, so I guess that's why 2 felt more serious. Spider-man 2 in general felt more like an actual superhero film and less like a popcorn teen superhero flick.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 10/11/15 at 4:02 pm

Yeah, I feel that the change between 1 and 2 was that I guess Peter had become more mature and dealt with more adult issues in the 2nd one, so I guess that's why 2 felt more serious. Spider-man 2 in general felt more like an actual superhero film and less like a popcorn teen superhero flick.

Definitely. Not to mention that the Green Goblin was this super-cheesy stereotypical comic villain while Doc Ock was a much more serious guy. Also, Peter was already in college during that movie while in the first one he was in High School. I wonder, if the first one had come out in 1998-2000 and the second one came out in 2001-2002, could it of been more action packed and comedic as the first. I also think both of these movies are way better than the newer Amazing Spider-Man movies.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/11/15 at 4:06 pm

Definitely. Not to mention that the Green Goblin was this super-cheesy stereotypical comic villain while Doc Ock was a much more serious guy. Also, Peter was already in college during that movie while in the first one he was in High School. I wonder, if the first one had come out in 1998-2000 and the second one came out in 2001-2002, could it of been more action packed and comedic as the first. I also think both of these movies are way better than the newer Amazing Spider-Man movies.

I actually prefer The FIRST Amazing spider-man movie over the 2002 spider-man, due to the some of the cheesiness of the first Maguire flick.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 10/11/15 at 5:06 pm

I actually prefer The FIRST Amazing spider-man movie over the 2002 spider-man, due to the some of the cheesiness of the first Maguire flick.

Haha, fair enough. The cheesiness certainly isn't for everyone but I think we can all agree that Spider-Man 3 is the worst Spider-Man movie yet.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/11/15 at 5:14 pm

Haha, fair enough. The cheesiness certainly isn't for everyone but I think we can all agree that Spider-Man 3 is the worst Spider-Man movie yet.

yup. not even close, that was painful to sit through!

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 10/11/15 at 5:43 pm

yup. not even close, that was painful to sit through!

You guys heard about the third Spider-Man reboot?

Written By: JordanK1982 on 10/11/15 at 6:59 pm

You guys heard about the third Spider-Man reboot?

Oh no. Don't remind me. The guy they choose for Spider-Man looks way too young.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 10/11/15 at 7:21 pm

Oh no. Don't remind me. The guy they choose for Spider-Man looks way too young.

LOL! He's actually my age but he looks like he's 14. Though to be fair, Toby McGuire was in his late 20's when the original Spider Man was released and he looked pretty young for being in his late 20's.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 10/11/15 at 11:21 pm

LOL! He's actually my age but he looks like he's 14. Though to be fair, Toby McGuire was in his late 20's when the original Spider Man was released and he looked pretty young for being in his late 20's.

At least Toby looked old enough. This new guy... I dunno, he doesn't even look like he could be a super hero. I think I'd rather have Andrew Garfield back.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/12/15 at 10:04 am

You know the times are changing when Spider-mans actor is younger than I am, granted it's only 6 months but still DAMN!

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 10/12/15 at 8:25 pm

You know the times are changing when Spider-mans actor is younger than I am, granted it's only 6 months but still DAMN!

Yeah he's a few months YOUNGER than me, that's saying something  ;D ;D

But in all seriousness though times are changing. For much of the 00's, people born in the late 70's and early-mid 80's were the ones pottraying teens in movies, tv shows, and other acts

Now that has shifted towards people born in the late 80's and early-mid 90's

Just look at the cast for the new show Scream Queens, most of them were born in the early-mid 90's!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/13/15 at 5:19 pm

I think the reason some people say that anything after that time period is awful because generally it's been declining for some time now. The biggest thing I don't see anymore regarding the culture is the diversity. For gaming, since the 7th generation, there's been mostly FPSes and not much else except for the occasional non-FPS releases; moreover, the hypes of the biggest releases turns out to be most likely be a fluke. For movies, while there are fantastic ones, there's too many superhero flicks. I don't have an issue with them; however, when there's too much, that can be a problem. For music, it's mostly EDM even underground. For example, many genres have a EDM influence and it even seems to be a huge pot of EDM that's sounding awful and bland. The economy has had a slow recovery despite the crash happening 7 years ago. There's people out there who are trying to get by and they can't because there are more requirements to succeed especially that they must have an education.

So, I don't think people are saying that today is awful out of bias. Yes, there are some good music, movies, games etc.; however, the culture has generally been decreasing considering there's no variety and that the economy has been awful.   

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 10/13/15 at 10:46 pm

Some '70s fans hate the mid and late '80s because the "innocence and good music of the '70s" died in 1984.

''      '80s fans despise the mid and late '90s because the "80s holdovers" (Bush 1 era pop culture) died in 1993.

''      '90s fans are trying to forget the Bush and the first Obama years (2002-NOW) today because the "90s are dead" (Clinton left office).

It only goes on and on and on.

Written By: the2001 on 12/25/15 at 11:34 am

I think the reason some people say that anything after that time period is awful because generally it's been declining for some time now. The biggest thing I don't see anymore regarding the culture is the diversity. For gaming, since the 7th generation, there's been mostly FPSes and not much else except for the occasional non-FPS releases; moreover, the hypes of the biggest releases turns out to be most likely be a fluke. For movies, while there are fantastic ones, there's too many superhero flicks. I don't have an issue with them; however, when there's too much, that can be a problem. For music, it's mostly EDM even underground. For example, many genres have a EDM influence and it even seems to be a huge pot of EDM that's sounding awful and bland. The economy has had a slow recovery despite the crash happening 7 years ago. There's people out there who are trying to get by and they can't because there are more requirements to succeed especially that they must have an education.

So, I don't think people are saying that today is awful out of bias. Yes, there are some good music, movies, games etc.; however, the culture has generally been decreasing considering there's no variety and that the economy has been awful. 

after 2006 videos games jumped the shark

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/25/15 at 11:47 am

Some '70s fans hate the mid and late '80s because the "innocence and good music of the '70s" died in 1984.

''      '80s fans despise the mid and late '90s because the "80s holdovers" (Bush 1 era pop culture) died in 1993.

''      '90s fans are trying to forget the Bush and the first Obama years (2002-NOW) today because the "90s are dead" (Clinton left office).

It only goes on and on and on.

I guess '00s fans would say the same thing over the next presidential years, if Trump gets elected. Now that I think of it, America would be in a living hell that's worse than the '43 Bush years if Trump gets elected. I would imagine him fudgeing up the constitutional stances of the United States as president, which would make the country look like a laughingstock.

Written By: 2001 on 12/25/15 at 12:46 pm

Sounds like something I'd say  ;D

Being a mid and late 2000s kids was probably great. I don't see how you can have a bad childhood if you had great parents,  unless it was the Great Depression or a war or something.

Being mid and late 2000s teen was God awful though. I remember kids making fun of me because I didn't dump the whole tub of hair gel to spike my hair. Or when I was called a lady for caring about fashion and not wearing XXL baggy cargo pants with a T shirt that goes down to my knees like the rest of the guys. I also remember being called kiddy because I owned a DS instead of the PSP. If you're not buying the latest GTA or Need for Speed clone, you obviously had a terrible taste on games. Or people cranking their Soulja Boy ringtones. Cringe.

Now 2000s teens have forever been immortalized as the lamest teenagers. Well deserved LOL

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/25/15 at 1:32 pm

Sounds like something I'd say  ;D

Being a mid and late 2000s kids was probably great. I don't see how you can have a bad childhood if you had great parents,  unless it was the Great Depression or a war or something.

Being mid and late 2000s teen was God awful though. I remember kids making fun of me because I didn't dump the whole tub of hair gel to spike my hair. Or when I was called a lady for caring about fashion and not wearing XXL baggy cargo pants with a T shirt that goes down to my knees like the rest of the guys. I also remember being called kiddy because I owned a DS instead of the PSP. If you're not buying the latest GTA or Need for Speed clone, you obviously had a terrible taste on games. Or people cranking their Soulja Boy ringtones. Cringe.

Now 2000s teens have forever been immortalized as the lamest teenagers. Well deserved LOL

Being a teen in 2000-2002 was totally rad, though.

Written By: 2001 on 12/25/15 at 1:46 pm

Being a teen in 2000-2002 was totally rad, though.

Yeah true. Would have loved to have Jimmy Eat World and Good Charlotte in my teenagehood than Soulja Boy and Paris Hilton  ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/25/15 at 1:49 pm

Yeah true. Would have loved to have Jimmy Eat World and Good Charlotte in my teenagehood than Soulja Boy and Paris Hilton  ;D

Oh man, it was the best. I saw so many good shows and concerts; one being Jimmy Eat World, Green Day and blink-182 when they did the Pop Disaster Tour in 2002. Each band brought their A-Game during those shows. Those were the last real Pop Punk and Emo bands. I'm glad I wasn't a mid 2000's teen 'cause their Pop Punk and Emo was crap like From First to Last and Fall Out Boy. 8-P

Written By: 2001 on 12/25/15 at 4:56 pm

Oh man, it was the best. I saw so many good shows and concerts; one being Jimmy Eat World, Green Day and blink-182 when they did the Pop Disaster Tour in 2002. Each band brought their A-Game during those shows. Those were the last real Pop Punk and Emo bands. I'm glad I wasn't a mid 2000's teen 'cause their Pop Punk and Emo was crap like From First to Last and Fall Out Boy. 8-P

Oh man, wish I was old enough to be there.  :( I remember devouring everything pop-punk on Yahoo! Music in 2003. Blink-182, Green Day, Good Charlotte, Sum 41, Simple Plan Bowling For Soup, New Found Glory, SR-71, American Hi-Fi, Jimmy Eat World, Sugarcult etc. I can go on forever!

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on Fall Out Boy and emo-rock/late pop punk  ;D I love those guys' mid-2000s stuff like Sugar We're Goin' Down (I'm not sure if they make rock music anymore though). I can see why someone older at the time would hate it, they very much targeted the teen angst of that era, and if you're not a teen it would sound downright ridiculous and childish.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/25/15 at 11:27 pm

Oh man, wish I was old enough to be there.  :( I remember devouring everything pop-punk on Yahoo! Music in 2003. Blink-182, Green Day, Good Charlotte, Sum 41, Simple Plan Bowling For Soup, New Found Glory, SR-71, American Hi-Fi, Jimmy Eat World, Sugarcult etc. I can go on forever!

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on Fall Out Boy and emo-rock/late pop punk  ;D I love those guys' mid-2000s stuff like Sugar We're Goin' Down (I'm not sure if they make rock music anymore though). I can see why someone older at the time would hate it, they very much targeted the teen angst of that era, and if you're not a teen it would sound downright ridiculous and childish.

Each and every band you've listed are totally rad. I think I've seen all of them live at least once at one point in my life. Ever hear about bands like Home Grown or MxPx? If not, I think you'll really like them. Check out some Drive-Thru bands, too. I am positive you know New Found Glory! It might be impossible to not know them if you like this stuff! ;D They were on Drive-Thru and if you like them check out bands like The Movielife and the first Starting Line EP and full length from 2001 and 2002. If you ever want to know more about late 90's and early 2000's Emo and Pop Punk, hit me up! I am more than happy to share some bands with you.

Haha, you're talking to the guy who was 20 when Simple Plan released No Pads and loved it. :P I'm not a big fan of the sound, mood and style of the mid 2000's Emo/Pop Punk in general. I prefer the immature, spiky haired, speedy teen angst to the darker, moody Edgar Allen Poe eyeliner stuff. Those bands just didn't speak to me the same way.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/27/15 at 8:23 pm

I was a teen in the early '00s as well and had an awesome time, but, I have to be honest, in many ways the early '00s were even more culturally regressive than the mid '00s. Anyone who didn't conform to the dominant Nu Metal driven "jock" culture of the day was mocked as being "gay", and saying any negative words about the USA or George W. Bush after 9/11 was a surefire way to get you shoved into a locker. Of course, I grew up in a very conservative area, so those living elsewhere may have had a different experience.

I did love all those Pop-Punk bands though. I still have American Hi-Fi's debut album on CD and listen to it quite often to this day.

Written By: bchris02 on 12/27/15 at 8:33 pm

I was a teen in the early '00s as well and had an awesome time, but, I have to be honest, in many ways the early '00s were even more culturally regressive than the mid '00s. Anyone who didn't conform to the dominant Nu Metal driven "jock" culture of the day was mocked as being "gay", and saying any negative words about the USA or George W. Bush after 9/11 was a surefire way to get you shoved into a locker.

Of course, I grew up in a very conservative area, so those living elsewhere may have had a different experience.

I agree.  My experience in the early '00s was the same way which is why I don't look back as fondly on the era as a lot of people do.  I liked the music during the early 2000s but no way would I go back if given the opportunity.  The era was far too conformist and people looked down on anybody perceived as different.  This started to finally change in the late '00s which in my opinion was a good change.

It's interesting how things have changed in terms of what is perceived as "gay" now vs the 2000s.  One example I was just thinking about is now everybody likes craft beer and its not uncommon to ask for a beer list when you go to a restaurant, but back in the mid 2000s in my area, if you ordered anything other than a Budweiser or some other American macro brand, you would be called "gay".  Asking for a beer list was an absolute no no. 

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/27/15 at 9:20 pm

I think the early 2000's were great times with lot's of diversity. 2003 is iffy but 2000-2002 were amazing. Today's much more conformist than the early 2000's could ever be. If you're not some Hipster social justice solider, you're ostracized. You go to a 2002 High School talent show you'd see Nu Metal, Pop Punk, Hip Hop and Alt. Rock bands. Nowadays, it's all hipster and rap music. I would go back to the late 90's and early 00's in a heartbeat!

Written By: SpyroKev on 12/27/15 at 10:31 pm

I think the early 2000's were great times with lot's of diversity. 2003 is iffy but 2000-2002 were amazing. Today's much more conformist than the early 2000's could ever be. If you're not some Hipster social justice solider, you're ostracized. You go to a 2002 High School talent show you'd see Nu Metal, Pop Punk, Hip Hop and Alt. Rock bands. Nowadays, it's all hipster and rap music. I would go back to the late 90's and early 00's in a heartbeat!

I have sympathy for people that were called out as different. I was called out for a reason since I was commonly known as bad hygiene. I wasn't aware of my self back then. I miss the ribbing, even though it was terrifying being the victim haha I miss playful harassing girls in class. One would return the favor probably realizing was my crush which made it more incredibly fun once she chased me. I miss the car claiming as "Called! No nothing!" riding the bus to a field trip and rubber band sling shots. I really praise how non existent online addiction was back then. I would go back just as in a heart beat for the balanced technology.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/27/15 at 10:43 pm

I have sympathy for people that were called out as different. I was called out for a reason since I was commonly known as bad hygiene. I wasn't aware of my self back then. I miss the ribbing, even though it was terrifying being the victim haha I miss playful harassing girls in class. One would return the favor probably realizing was my crush which made it more incredibly fun once she chased me. I miss the car claiming as "Called! No nothing!" riding the bus to a field trip and rubber band sling shots. I really praise how non existent online addiction was back then. I would go back just as in a heart beat for the balanced technology.

Me and my friends got picked on but we were mostly ignored by the jocks. I miss that, too. I miss the technology, culture and vibe of 2000-2002. Even if XP came out, we all still used 98 and ME with Dial-Up connections. We simply couldn't spend all day on the computer and it was perfect. I miss the way I used to hang out with my friends. I miss the beautiful summer mornings, skating over to my friends house with a Discman in my hand and my Home Grown Act Your Age CD inside and knocking on the window "Dude! Wanna go get some Mexican!?" or turning on MTV2 and seeing videos by the Riddlin Kids and MxPx and eating my favorite cereal. Now? Nobody plays music videos! If they did, it'd be 100 rappers who sounded the same! Back then it was all about the Tony Hawk spiky haired, extreme sports vibe. We still used both the PS1 and the PS2 and we listened to our Sum 41 CD's and tapes in our cars. Emo meant something good. People can talk sh*t on Dashboard Confessional, but the guy is real Emo if I've ever seen it. He has the sound and style down. Jimmy Eat World; the best of the best. Bleed American is a top notch album! That is what we called Emo in 2000-2002, not that swoop haired crap. Times were still very human and lacked the virtual reality of today.

Written By: mqg96 on 12/27/15 at 11:00 pm

Me and my friends got picked on but we were mostly ignored by the jocks. I miss that, too. I miss the technology, culture and vibe of 2000-2002. Even if XP came out, we all still used 98 and ME with Dial-Up connections. We simply couldn't spend all day on the computer and it was perfect. I miss the way I used to hang out with my friends. I miss the beautiful summer mornings, skating over to my friends house with a Discman in my hand and my Home Grown Act Your Age CD inside and knocking on the window "Dude! Wanna go get some Mexican!?" or turning on MTV2 and seeing videos by the Riddlin Kids and MxPx and eating my favorite cereal. Now? Nobody plays music videos! If they did, it'd be 100 rappers who sounded the same! Back then it was all about the Tony Hawk spiky haired, extreme sports vibe. We still used both the PS1 and the PS2 and we listened to our Sum 41 CD's and tapes in our cars. Emo meant something good. People can talk sh*t on Dashboard Confessional, but the guy is real Emo if I've ever seen it. He has the sound and style down. Jimmy Eat World; the best of the best. Bleed American is a top notch album! That is what we called Emo in 2000-2002, not that swoop haired crap. Times were still very human and lacked the virtual reality of today.

My parents replaced Windows 98 and dial up with Windows XP and broadband in Christmas 2001, however, I've never been a fan of ANY emo music period. It's just my personal taste in music though....

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/27/15 at 11:05 pm

My parents replaced Windows 98 and dial up with Windows XP and broadband in Christmas 2001, however, I've never been a fan of ANY emo music period. It's just my personal taste in music though....

Yeah, some people were early adopters but in most cases I can remember it was common for people to still have 98/ME and Dial-Up until 2003. I love Emo before 2004. In 2004, things got bad. Especially in June 2004, as I've said in another thread. ;D

Written By: SpyroKev on 12/28/15 at 9:16 am

I'll add to the experiences you listed I can related to that The Early 2000s actually has my favorite sound of music. I once played that role and I instantly experienced the karma that same year. Also, as what bchris02 pointed, the conformist changed in a trade format. Back then it was still cool to play Nintendo while now it isn't. It is interesting.

Check for new replies or respond here...