inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 00s Toonami

Written By: Zelek on 10/10/15 at 7:19 pm

Toonami was big for the late 90s and much of 2000-early 2007 (until the unfortunate TOM 4 switch happened), but I've noticed that there seems to be a generation gap with its shows.

If you look at YouTube comments, someone who's, let's say, 16, would gravitate more towards their mid-00s shows like Teen titans, Naruto, or Zatch Ball. Whereas with someone who's, say 26, has fond stories of rushing home every day to Sailor Moon, DBZ, and Gundam Wing. Not saying one's better than the other, just an observation.

Question for @ocarinafan96, @mqg96, @Eazy-EMAN1995, etc.: do you remember early 2000s Toonami well? If you asked some of your friends if they rushed home to Gundam or Sailor moon, would they say "Huh?", or "Of course, why shouldn't I?" Like I said, not everybody has sharp memories like you guys seem to, and it's likely that many 5-year-olds in 2001 were watching preschool shows and not interested in anime at all.

Subject: Re: 00s Toonami

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/10/15 at 8:08 pm

OF COURSE!!! :D :D :D  Early 2000s Toonami was the reason I felt that CN was a superior product to Nick during those years!! I was one of the few 5 and 6 year olds watching anime on Toonami in late 2000 and 2001!!! IT got me into DBZ, Gundam, Outlaw Star, Big O, Tenchi Myuo etc. etc. every kid back then my age and older would rush to go home to watch toonami. I was one of the few that flipped back AND FORTH from Nick to Toonami/CN!!! ;)  It was one hell of a time. :)  I'd even wake up and watch the midnight run when my parents were asleep!! 8) 8) 8)

Basically since were in 2015 if your between 18 and 25/26 you DEFINITELY experienced the golden age of toonami!! Those who are currently young teens 13-16/17 are the ones I notice usually get nostalgic for the 2004-2006 TOM 3 years!!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/10/15 at 8:11 pm

http://nerdreactor.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Remembering-Cartoon-Networks-Toonami.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1skq3Lwy31r1or7jo10_500.png
http://orig03.deviantart.net/49ec/f/2013/204/5/d/characters_dbz_saga_cell_by_darkuchihasharingan-d6eu99s.jpg

This is the toonami I'll ALWAYS remember!!

Written By: mqg96 on 10/10/15 at 8:20 pm

Depends on who you talk to, there's tons more to regular life than just Toonami lol. The target audience for Cartoon Network is 6-11. So we were old enough to at least experience the 2002 & 2003 years for Toonami on weekdays. I started watching Cartoon Network in 2001 but I didn't discover Toonami until summer 2002. At that time I didn't really care about all of Toonami's programming except for Dragon Ball Z and Batman Beyond, which were the first shows I remember seeing on there. Then later on I remember He-Man, Transformers Armada, Yu Yu Hakusho, Justice League, and Rurouni Kenshin joining the Toonami lineup as well. Toonami still had some great Saturday night lineups in 2004 & 2005, thanks to Justice League Unlimited, Naruto, and Teen Titans at the time. I was mostly into the original Cartoon Cartoons and the classic/old school cartoons at the time when I watched Cartoon Network throughout the early 2000's, rather than Toonami, but it was still an overall great time though. As I've said many times before, 2001-2004 is when Cartoon Network peaked for me. 2005-2006 was ok but not as good as before. 2007-present it's been dead to me, with the exception of the few shows here and there on rare occasions.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/10/15 at 8:25 pm

Depends on who you talk to, there's tons more to regular life than just Toonami lol. The target audience for Cartoon Network is 6-11. So we were old enough to at least experience the 2002 & 2003 years for Toonami on weekdays. I started watching Cartoon Network in 2001 but I didn't discover Toonami until summer 2002.

How did you not know about toonami until 2002?! ???

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/10/15 at 8:26 pm

VcU05Slc8cE

pRLLQAYMmso

SShS5Xpatlo

Written By: mqg96 on 10/10/15 at 9:15 pm

How did you not know about toonami until 2002?! ???

Because at 5 and early 6 and did not care about that then, whatever was on Cartoon Network when I turned it on was just on Cartoon Network. I didn't realize it was Toonami until 2002.  Keep in mind, despite me started watching Cartoon Network in 2001, that year is still a blur to me, unlike 2002, which I can remember crystal clearly.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 10/10/15 at 10:39 pm

Yeah Early 2000's Toonami was the stuff!  :D :D :D Some of my favorite shows as a kid like Dragon Ball/Z, Yu Yu Hakusho, Ruroni Kenshin, Gundam, Batman Beyond, Justice League, etc. That was what introduced me to anime, along with Kids WB with the original season of Pokemon in 1999 (I have a crazy ass memory  ;D) and I wouldn't trade that for the world!

However, I also liked mid 2000's Toonami as well, Naruto, Zatch Bell, Teen Titans, IGPX, One Piece,etc.

I feel like the very late 90's and early 2000's were like the introductory years for anime for me, the massive success of shows like Pokemon, Sailor Moon, DBZ, & YuGiOh to name a few I witnessed in my early and peak childhood along wth many other guys my age roughly age 18-23 give or take.

While the mid-late 2000's were like my peak, this was when I started to be introduced to more variety of styles. I loved DBZ, so I definitely loved Naruto! I loved YuYu Hakusho, so I definitely loved Bleach! I loved Ruroini Kenshin so I definitely loved InuYasha.

Also around 2008 my family got Verizon Fios and at the time in the NY Area they had a channel called Funimation Channel and it exposed me to more variety of anime. From romantic comedies like Fruit Basket and School Rumble to action shows like Hunter X Hunter and Full Metal Panic. Unfortunately it got shut down on my cable provider in 2012  :\'(

But all in all, the early 2000's, more specifically 1999-2003/4 were like my kiddy years for anime

2004/5-2012 were like my peak years

2013-present while I am still  a fan, I haven't really have been following many of the newer series like Attack on Titan and Fairy Tail

Written By: sonikuu on 10/10/15 at 11:23 pm

I have a lot of nostalgia for early and mid 00s Toonami and Adult Swim.  The combination of both of them, plus video games, introduced me to Japan, which is where I currently live.  They were especially important in 2001 to 2004, when I was going through some hard times transitioning into adolescence.  The shows on these blocks always provided such great escapism.  Toonami wasn't as good in the mid-00s, but it still had some really good stuff.  Adult Swim showed signs of decline in 2005, but continued to be a great block all around up until 2007 or 2008.

I haven't watched any of those shows in years, but they'll always be good memories.  Those two blocks were, for me, one of the defining parts of the 00s and my teen years (born in 1989, so the 00s and my teens are the same thing).

Written By: SpyroKev on 10/11/15 at 12:53 am

I have a lot of nostalgia for early and mid 00s Toonami and Adult Swim.  The combination of both of them, plus video games, introduced me to Japan, which is where I currently live.  They were especially important in 2001 to 2004, when I was going through some hard times transitioning into adolescence.  The shows on these blocks always provided such great escapism.  Toonami wasn't as good in the mid-00s, but it still had some really good stuff.  Adult Swim showed signs of decline in 2005, but continued to be a great block all around up until 2007 or 2008.

I haven't watched any of those shows in years, but they'll always be good memories.  Those two blocks were, for me, one of the defining parts of the 00s and my teen years (born in 1989, so the 00s and my teens are the same thing).

Toonami and Adult Swim are defining parts of the 2000s. They may not be as mentioned but their in the category. Especially Toonami.

Written By: mqg96 on 10/11/15 at 12:49 pm

BTW, here's memories from Toonami I can easily recall happening!

gC39v3z-rXs 1mCkO3p7M6U

Smod60PWs_A clfUT4NccpQ

op8M97Pbh3c NGjYA1mv7xo

6emSLiKfP10 TYBl4fiI--o

Written By: SpyroKev on 12/09/18 at 4:59 pm

Toonami isn't the same. It hasn't been the same since the 2000s. It could retain some of its spark if it return to weekdays, which probably is a threatening turn for the block. Toonami just feel ultimately out of place in todays age. There's streaming and other varieties of the like.

At times, I'm able to watch it but I don't care to.

Written By: John Titor on 12/12/18 at 3:04 pm

Toonami was big for the late 90s and much of 2000-early 2007 (until the unfortunate TOM 4 switch happened), but I've noticed that there seems to be a generation gap with its shows.

If you look at YouTube comments, someone who's, let's say, 16, would gravitate more towards their mid-00s shows like Teen titans, Naruto, or Zatch Ball. Whereas with someone who's, say 26, has fond stories of rushing home every day to Sailor Moon, DBZ, and Gundam Wing. Not saying one's better than the other, just an observation.

Question for @ocarinafan96, @mqg96, @Eazy-EMAN1995, etc.: do you remember early 2000s Toonami well? If you asked some of your friends if they rushed home to Gundam or Sailor moon, would they say "Huh?", or "Of course, why shouldn't I?" Like I said, not everybody has sharp memories like you guys seem to, and it's likely that many 5-year-olds in 2001 were watching preschool shows and not interested in anime at all.

Toonami fell of in late 2001-2002 due to it having a  Kids WB version that diluted the brand

It was still popular when it moved to Saturdays when it had GT, but a big decrease happened in late 01

The Peak of Toonami Is the Cell Saga - Goku & Pikkon are fighting.
Lack of new episodes hurt the block & people were moving on to other forms
of entertainment such as ps2, Adult Swim etc etc

CN was VERY POPULAR, in 01-02, but the toonami block was hit with some decreased ratings.

Check for new replies or respond here...