inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: does anyone else think nick started dying after drake and josh/ned ended??

Written By: sonic2005 on 10/22/15 at 12:19 pm

I mean the channel was sorta going downhill around 2006 but overall the channel was still decent but once drake and josh and neds declassified

ended both its run in 2007 that's when the channel really started to decay. do you guys agree?

Subject: Re: does anyone else think nick started dying after drake and josh/ned ended??

Written By: mqg96 on 10/22/15 at 1:19 pm

Depends on your viewpoint of Nickelodeon. Nickelodeon is divided into several parts, its nicktoons, the Snick/TeenNick live-action shows, the game shows, etc. So it's depends on the person's opinion. When it comes to the live-action shows, then yes I do agree that Nickelodeon started declining after Drake & Josh, Zoey 101, and Ned's Declassified ended. Although I do think iCarly was really good, the last good sitcom made by Nick IMO, but it's just that I didn't watch it that much because of my kid culture already being over with. By the time iCarly premiered there wasn't anything left on Nick or many other kid channels for me to watch anymore.

Subject: Re: does anyone else think nick started dying after drake and josh/ned ended??

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 10/22/15 at 1:23 pm

Depends on your viewpoint of Nickelodeon. Nickelodeon is divided into several parts, its nicktoons, the Snick/TeenNick live-action shows, the game shows, etc. So it's depends on the person's opinion. When it comes to the live-action shows, then yes I do agree that Nickelodeon started declining after Drake & Josh, Zoey 101, and Ned's Declassified ended. Although I do think iCarly was really good, the last good sitcom made by Nick IMO, but it's just that I didn't watch it that much because of my kid culture already being over with. By the time iCarly premiered there wasn't anything left on Nick or many other kid channels for me to watch anymore.

I agree! When it comes to Nick heres how it went downhill from my perspective:

Game Shows: 1999/2000

Nicktoons: 2004/5

Nick Jr: 2005

Snick/Teenick: 2006

Nickoms: 2008

Written By: mqg96 on 10/22/15 at 1:55 pm

I agree! When it comes to Nick heres how it went downhill from my perspective:

Game Shows: 1999/2000

Nicktoons: 2004/5

Nick Jr: 2005

Snick/Teenick: 2006

Nickoms: 2008

Although for the game shows, I did really enjoy Slimetime Live, U-Pick Live, and Friday Night Slimetime from my childhood, although I see where you're coming from though, like the peak of game shows on Nickelodeon.

Written By: Ripley on 10/22/15 at 2:44 pm

Nick started dying around the time The Amanda Show went off air.  Drake & Josh and Zoey 101 in my opinion were the only good shows from then after.  As for cartoons, I still enjoy SpongeBob from time to time, but around the time that started the cartoons were starting to get lame and lamer.  One thing I might mention is they don't always seem so kid friendly now.  I realize Ren & Stimpy in my days wasn't a kiddie show in comparison to the greatness of The Rugrats and Doug, all three being favorites of mine.  But maybe its just me.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 10/23/15 at 10:12 pm

It's really sad to me that Nickelodeon has pretty much entirely erased game shows from their lineup. Truthfully, they were just about my favorite thing to watch on Nick back in the '90s, even at times over the Nicktoon and live action shows.

Looking back, It's kind of amazing really just how many awesome game shows Nick had back in the early and mid '90s. My individual favorites at the time were "Legends of the Hidden Temple", "GUTS", "Double Dare" and "What Would You Do?", but I was also a big fan of "Figure it Out" later on, too.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/25/15 at 12:20 pm

I think Nickelodeon died when they changed their logo. They barely had any good sheesh after that.

Written By: Howard on 10/25/15 at 2:49 pm

I think Nickelodeon died when they changed their logo. They barely had any good sheesh after that.

and also changed their demographic.

Written By: TheMusicdewd on 10/25/15 at 10:19 pm

Nick went downhill long before that point.  2002 was the last good year of the network.

Written By: Shemp97 on 10/29/15 at 7:56 pm

Although I do think iCarly was really good, the last good sitcom made by Nick IMO, but it's just that I didn't watch it that much because of my kid culture already being over with. By the time iCarly premiered there wasn't anything left on Nick or many other kid channels for me to watch anymore.

Yeah, iCarly was really good especially for a late 00s/early 10s sitcom. Would hardly call it "kid culture" though. There was a really blatant golden showers joke in one of the more recent episodes.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/31/15 at 10:55 am

and also changed their demographic.

They still make shows for kids and preteens.

Written By: Syn on 10/31/15 at 4:23 pm

iCarly was a pretty good show. I feel merging all the shows into one universe kinda ruined it, though.

Written By: Howard on 10/31/15 at 5:49 pm

They still make shows for kids and preteens.

I know, they're making the shows more family friendly.

Written By: popguru85 on 11/02/15 at 1:01 am

A lot of people say Nickelodeon started going downhill in 1999, when Spongebob debuts and gets so overexposed

Written By: Syn on 11/02/15 at 3:13 am

A lot of people say Nickelodeon started going downhill in 1999, when Spongebob debuts and gets so overexposed
Spongebob was a very good show. The problem with Spongebob was that the 2004 movie was to be the end of the show until Nickelodeon decided to keep it. It was given to different hands and was killed. The early 2000s still had great shows like Danny Phantom and Fairly Odd Parents.

Written By: yelimsexa on 11/02/15 at 7:00 am

It's really sad to me that Nickelodeon has pretty much entirely erased game shows from their lineup. Truthfully, they were just about my favorite thing to watch on Nick back in the '90s, even at times over the Nicktoon and live action shows.

Looking back, It's kind of amazing really just how many awesome game shows Nick had back in the early and mid '90s. My individual favorites at the time were "Legends of the Hidden Temple", "GUTS", "Double Dare" and "What Would You Do?", but I was also a big fan of "Figure it Out" later on, too.

They did have a good game show in Brain Surge a few years ago that lasted for a few years like many of the classics, but they also had the horrid "My Family's Got Guts"- a shame since that was the last game show ever taped at Universal Studios Floriday for Nickelodeon, years after the attraction closed. There was also a Figure It Out revival that from I read was also crap. I more or less grew out of nick around 1999-2000 since I was well into high school, but I understand that the early '00s still had some decent programming, but I agree that the channel was well past its golden age by that point. Actually, I feel the Nick of today is somehwat better than the Nick of say 2008-2012 or so thanks to the new TMNT, current Power Rangers, a block that resembles Snick on Wednesdays, a new Alvin & The Chipmunks show. I just miss kids game shows though and Nick should seriously consider either a revival (I vote for Nick Arcade or Legends of the Hidden Temple) or an all-new show. And ever since Sprout, Nick Jr. has gone downhill.

Written By: Howard on 11/02/15 at 3:06 pm

Nickelodeon was funnier when they had You Can't Do That On Television.

Written By: mqg96 on 11/02/15 at 3:16 pm

Spongebob was a very good show. The problem with Spongebob was that the 2004 movie was to be the end of the show until Nickelodeon decided to keep it. It was given to different hands and was killed. The early 2000s still had great shows like Danny Phantom and Fairly Odd Parents.

Danny Phantom is a mid 2000's show, it started in 2004 and lasted until 2007. Fairly Odd Parents is pretty much both early & mid 2000's when it comes to its peak, however, Fairly Odd Parents was great when it was just Timmy, Cosmo, and Wanda only throughout the first 5 seasons. I also enjoyed movies like Chanel Chasers and specials like the Jimmy Timmy Power Hour with the crossover. However, once the Baby (Poof) debuted in 2008, that's when the series officially turned upside down. Although, the Wishology special was surprisingly good, probably the last great gem that Fairly Odd Parents ever had. The humor of the recent episodes are just way too cheesy and hyper with bright colors.

Written By: mqg96 on 11/02/15 at 3:19 pm

They did have a good game show in Brain Surge a few years ago that lasted for a few years like many of the classics, but they also had the horrid "My Family's Got Guts"- a shame since that was the last game show ever taped at Universal Studios Floriday for Nickelodeon, years after the attraction closed. There was also a Figure It Out revival that from I read was also crap. I more or less grew out of nick around 1999-2000 since I was well into high school, but I understand that the early '00s still had some decent programming, but I agree that the channel was well past its golden age by that point. Actually, I feel the Nick of today is somehwat better than the Nick of say 2008-2012 or so thanks to the new TMNT, current Power Rangers, a block that resembles Snick on Wednesdays, a new Alvin & The Chipmunks show. I just miss kids game shows though and Nick should seriously consider either a revival (I vote for Nick Arcade or Legends of the Hidden Temple) or an all-new show. And ever since Sprout, Nick Jr. has gone downhill.

Yeah, there were some of those recent game shows from around 2009ish I believe, but I don't think a lot of those did well though. A couple years after Nick GAS channel had shuttdown and most of the other game shows from Nick's prime were already ended. To me, Slimetime Live or Friday Night Slimetime (whatever it was called) was probably the last great game show, and I enjoyed U-Pick Live as well which allowed you to vote for your favorite nicktoon or sitcom to be played. 

Written By: SpyroKev on 10/10/18 at 5:26 pm

Nick went into full decline after Victorious. I even felt like it was the only show holding Nick up at the time.

Written By: Zelek3 on 10/10/18 at 5:30 pm

It depends on what era you grew up in, that's all. Us late millennials grew up loving shows like pre-movie Spongebob and pre-Channel Chasers fairly odd parents, but to early millennials, those shows were ADHD crap that couldn't compare to the days of Rocko. All a matter of perspective.

Written By: piecesof93 on 10/10/18 at 5:42 pm

I would say around the time CatStratch premiered.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/11/18 at 1:50 pm

Everything anybody needs to know about the decline of Nickelodeon.  Tl:dr; they put all their eggs in the Spongebob basket and could only milk that for so long before it became stale.

r-seeo7gJF0

Check for new replies or respond here...