inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Linkin Park, Avril Lavigne, Blink-182, etc.: Good, Bad, or So-Bad-They're-Good?

Written By: Zelek on 10/25/15 at 4:15 pm

When emo/pop punk artists such as these were active (around the early-mid 2000s), they were heavily derided. In fact, they were usually associated with the "angsty teen" stereotype, usually the one who cuts themselves, likes "lol random humor" such as GIR from Invader Zim or anything involving "bacon of doom" or whatever, pretends to "hate everything", writes yaoi fan fiction, wears eyeliner and piercings, etc.

However, nowadays, I see a lot of nostalgia for this era of music. Granted, it's partially ironic, but still. Take this very silly comment, for example:
http://i.imgur.com/J0BwLb8.png

Do you think these artists were at all good, or are they just so campy and of-their-era that they're fun to listen to?

Subject: Re: Linkin Park, Avril Lavigne, Blink-182, etc.: Good, Bad, or So-Bad-They're-Good?

Written By: TheMusicdewd on 10/25/15 at 7:04 pm

Terrible.

I like song Blink-182 and Linkin Park songs...but stuff like Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance, Good Charlotte?

Those bands killed rock and would never hold up to The Beatles, Nirvana, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Queen, U2, Metallica or Black Sabbath. Rock already had issues when when Creed and Nickelback took over but then all those styles came in destroyed rock permanently.

Subject: Re: Linkin Park, Avril Lavigne, Blink-182, etc.: Good, Bad, or So-Bad-They're-Good?

Written By: JordanK1982 on 10/25/15 at 11:29 pm

When emo/pop punk artists such as these were active (around the early-mid 2000s), they were heavily derided. In fact, they were usually associated with the "angsty teen" stereotype, usually the one who cuts themselves, likes "lol random humor" such as GIR from Invader Zim or anything involving "bacon of doom" or whatever, pretends to "hate everything", writes yaoi fan fiction, wears eyeliner and piercings, etc.

Do you think these artists were at all good, or are they just so campy and of-their-era that they're fun to listen to?

In 2000-2002, these tropes didn't exist aside from the hating everything "angsty teen" stereotype. Cutting wasn't the emo joke that it has been since 2005, Gir was just something from a cartoon (not to mention, a good cartoon), not a stupid character for some fat Hot Topic chick's t-shirt and I have no clue what yaoi is. But do I think they're good? I enjoy blink-182 and Sum 41 but Avril and Linkin Park were always sh*tty. But even the bad stuff from the Y2K 1998-2002 era does have a bit of charm to it.

There is some really cheesy f*cking sh*t from that era, though. What the hell is this:

The bastard child of Limp Bizkit and Sum 41:
PeLyLjYcOl4

These guys make 16 year old me look like a stud with the babes (and that is a hard thing to do. Good job guys):
LfQ_VvoMNVI

These guys rule but it's still pretty cheesy:
QfcLcDBII78

It really sucks to be this guy:
1GIz4-KcPNo

And of course:

vng1P29QbX4

2tLf1JO5bvE

Written By: #Infinity on 10/26/15 at 2:14 am

Honestly, I do enjoy a lot of 2000s pop punk, but it's still inferior to 90s stuff like Green Day, The Offspring, and No Doubt, plus the heavyweight rock & roll bands of bygone eras.  It's an overstatement to say these bands are objectively horrendous when things like snap, crunkcore, and white supremacist rock exist, but second wave pop punk is only satisfyingly catchy at best, forgettably repetitive at the worst.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 10/27/15 at 1:04 am

Honestly, I do enjoy a lot of 2000s pop punk, but it's still inferior to 90s stuff like Green Day, The Offspring, and No Doubt, plus the heavyweight rock & roll bands of bygone eras.  It's an overstatement to say these bands are objectively horrendous when things like snap, crunkcore, and white supremacist rock exist, but second wave pop punk is only satisfyingly catchy at best, forgettably repetitive at the worst.

No Doubt? No Doubt is a ska band! And Dookie and Smash are the albums that started the second wave of Pop Punk even if the bands themselves formed during the first wave.

Written By: #Infinity on 10/27/15 at 1:09 am

No Doubt? No Doubt is a ska band! And Dookie and Smash are the albums that started the second wave of Pop Punk even if the bands themselves formed during the first wave.

There were some songs from Tragic Kingdom leaning much more towards punk (i.e., Just a Girl, Excuse Me Mr.), not to mention ska is heavily related to punk, anyway.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 10/27/15 at 1:20 am

There were some songs from Tragic Kingdom leaning much more towards punk (i.e., Just a Girl, Excuse Me Mr.), not to mention ska is heavily related to punk, anyway.

Just a Girl isn't really like a Pop Punk song, though. It sounds more like Smash Mouth (yeah, yeah, I know their first album was Ska Punk but I meant Smash Mouth's sound in general) than Green Day if you ask me. If you mean late 80's/90's Ska, than yeah, sure it was. That's why they call it "Ska Punk." I don't think No Doubt is better than any 1994-2003 second wave pop punk bands, either. They had a handful of decent songs but most of it was sh*t.

Written By: #Infinity on 10/27/15 at 1:42 am

Just a Girl isn't really like a Pop Punk song, though. It sounds more like Smash Mouth (yeah, yeah, I know their first album was Ska Punk but I meant Smash Mouth's sound in general) than Green Day if you ask me. If you mean late 80's/90's Ska, than yeah, sure it was. That's why they call it "Ska Punk." I don't think No Doubt is better than any 1994-2003 second wave pop punk bands, either. They had a handful of decent songs but most of it was sh*t.

Smash Mouth was mostly a 60s throwback band with millennial-era production sensibilities, at least in terms of their hit singles (including Walkin' on the Sun from Fush Yu Mang).  They were pretty different from No Doubt.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 10/27/15 at 1:50 am

Smash Mouth was mostly a 60s throwback band with millennial-era production sensibilities, at least in terms of their hit singles (including Walkin' on the Sun from Fush Yu Mang).  They were pretty different from No Doubt.

The keyboard in Just a Girl sounds straight out of a Smash Mouth song. The rest of Fush Yu Mang isn't thatdifferent from anything No Doubt did (except it's a bit more punky but too bad it still kinda sucks) but everything No Doubt did is pretty different from Green Day and Offspring (even the Offspring's Ska songs sound nothing like No Doubt). They're not like actual good Ska Punk bands like Less Than Jake or Planet Smashers who definitely had both the Punk and the Ska and sounded like the previously mentioned bands.

Written By: Ripley on 10/27/15 at 4:50 pm

I'm guilty of liking some of this stuff lol I was a fan of Good Charlotte. Strange as I'm actually an Industrial fan.  I don't consider GC emo more Punk. But I do like some emo bands.  Simple Plan was good for one.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/27/15 at 5:07 pm

I liked Avril during her first two albums. I think she has talent. I'm not into her after her second album though.

I only liked Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory album and that's it.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 10/28/15 at 6:16 am

I'm guilty of liking some of this stuff lol I was a fan of Good Charlotte. Strange as I'm actually an Industrial fan.  I don't consider GC emo more Punk. But I do like some emo bands.  Simple Plan was good for one.

Wait? People actually call Simple Plan emo? Ha, I have never heard that one before.

Written By: Ripley on 10/28/15 at 12:01 pm

Sometimes.... Really I've more considered them Alternative.  But none of these are really emo to me.  Just cause it's angry or sad doesn't make it emo right.  In my opinion Avril was pop with a punk attitude.  Whereas Linkin Park combines different genres.  I can't place them in just one.  Some call Panic At The Disco emo well it's not either.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/28/15 at 2:03 pm

Sorry, I just loved/love Avril's first album

http://i2.wp.com/aftertheshow.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/avril-lavigne-let-go-album-cover.jpg

Stats

Released: 2002
US sales: 6.9 million copies
First week US sales: 62,000 at #8
Worldwide sales: No official number, roughly 16-20 million copies

Written By: JordanK1982 on 10/28/15 at 2:18 pm

Sometimes.... Really I've more considered them Alternative.  But none of these are really emo to me.  Just cause it's angry or sad doesn't make it emo right.  In my opinion Avril was pop with a punk attitude.  Whereas Linkin Park combines different genres.  I can't place them in just one.  Some call Panic At The Disco emo well it's not either.

I see them as a Pop Punk band. That's true. Emo's actually a pretty specific style of music. Bands like Jimmy Eat World are Emo (who also happened to be big around the same time that Simple Plan were). I consider Avril to be Pop Rock and Linkin Park to be Nu Metal. I hate when people do that! Just because the guy wears eyeliner (something that wasn't even an Emo thing until 2004) doesn't mean it's Emo! They're not even Pop Punk really. They're closer to standard Pop Rock than anything.

Written By: whistledog on 10/29/15 at 7:17 am

Avril was born in the same hospital that I was (different years), so it's difficult for me to hate her.  Plus, if you saw the video for her song "What the Hell?", she looks damn fine in a bra and panties!!!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/01/28/article-0-0CF1685A000005DC-865_634x343.jpg

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/29/15 at 9:58 am

I liked Avril before she went kind of poppy. In my teen years I had this really weird rocker/emo phase where I was like the poster child for Hot Topic, in all black and chains and things and my mom was really praying for me. LOL. I liked her and Blink-182 and all sorts of rock acts then. Good Charlotte, Panic at the Disco (I still have a PATD shirt!) My Chemical Romance...that was my soundtrack.
I kind of miss those days sometimes. LOL. I'm really girly now but I will get up and headbang and scream lyrics with the best of them.

Written By: 2001 on 01/05/16 at 12:13 am

Sorry, I just loved/love Avril's first album

http://i2.wp.com/aftertheshow.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/avril-lavigne-let-go-album-cover.jpg

Stats

Released: 2002
US sales: 6.9 million copies
First week US sales: 62,000 at #8
Worldwide sales: No official number, roughly 16-20 million copies

I loved this album! It's the first album I bought on CD  :D I got made fun of in school but it was worth it lol.

I especially like the tracks "Naked" and "Anything But Ordinary". I'm With You was also a real goody when I moved to a new neighbourhood in 2004 and was feeling really lonely, that song hits close to home.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/05/16 at 12:23 am

I remember Avril Lavigne's Girlfriend song being played a lot throughout 2007. I didn't like it at all. Not a big fan of most of her other music anyway.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/05/16 at 12:57 am

Good. I was really into Avril during my "rocker" phase as a teen.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/05/16 at 1:05 am

Not a big Avril fan but Let Go is better than everything else she's done. Best Damn Thing is an awful record and even worse is that Sum 41's Underclass Hero is the equally as terrible counterpart (*shakes fist at Avril*).

Written By: 2001 on 01/05/16 at 9:58 am

Good. I was really into Avril during my "rocker" phase as a teen.

I went through that phase when I was preteen (12 to 14), so that was even worse. Still surprised I didn't get killed.

Not a big Avril fan but Let Go is better than everything else she's done. Best Damn Thing is an awful record and even worse is that Sum 41's Underclass Hero is the equally as terrible counterpart (*shakes fist at Avril*).

How dare you insult the Royal Canadian Family  >:(

But yeah, all her albums after Under My Skin are awful. I stopped listening to Sum 41 after Go Chuck Yourself; Avril Lavigne getting married to Deryck Whibley did a number on that band lol.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/05/16 at 10:46 am

How dare you insult the Royal Canadian Family  >:(

But yeah, all her albums after Under My Skin are awful. I stopped listening to Sum 41 after Go Chuck Yourself; Avril Lavigne getting married to Deryck Whibley did a number on that band lol.

Hahahahaha!!!!!!!

Yeah, I agree with that. Even Under My Skin was kinda so-so. You know what's funny? He Wasn't and Best Damn Thing are both songs about the same thing but Best Damn Thing gives off this 'bitchy blonde chick' vibe. Let Go is the only one I can tolerate all the way though. At least she used to write loud rock songs once upon a time; that I'll give her credit for. I thought Chuck was a disappointment when it came out. It had some good songs but it came out after Infected of all albums! That was such a good album and it was the perfect blend of Pop Punk and Metal (it reminded me of another band called Strung Out. You might of heard of them. They're really good). Underclass Hero was really, really bad. Why'd Deryck think it was a good idea to write a counterpart to Avril's album??? I hope that now Dave's back in the band they get back to their roots. Another All Killer/Half Hour/Infected would be great to hear. Now she's gone and married/divorced Mr. Nickelback!

By the way, do you like Treble Charger? Their song American Psycho was Canada's nation anthem from 2000-2003.

Written By: 2001 on 01/05/16 at 5:57 pm

I just listened to it; it doesn't sound very familiar. >_< I used to only listen to music on the Hit List (Canadian music show), so from 1997-2002 I only really know kid-friendly music.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/05/16 at 6:01 pm

I just listened to it; it doesn't sound very familiar. >_< I used to only listen to music on the Hit List (Canadianmusic show), so from 2000-2002 I only really know kid-friendly music.

Haha, ok. They're a really good band. From Maybe It's Me up to Detox, they were one of the biggest Canadian Pop Punk bands (and that timeline spans from 1997 to 2002, so that might explain it :P). At the time, it was like they were like Canada's main source of patriotism! ;D Even my Uncle (who lives in Toronto) likes them. They toured with Gob, Sum 41 and Simple Plan a bunch so I was able to see them a few times. Pretty good sh*t! ;) Ever play the NHL games? They were on NHL 02 and 03.

Check for new replies or respond here...