inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Linkin Park, Avril Lavigne, Blink-182, etc.: Good, Bad, or So-Bad-They're-Good?

Written By: Zelek on 10/25/15 at 4:15 pm

When emo/pop punk artists such as these were active (around the early-mid 2000s), they were heavily derided. In fact, they were usually associated with the "angsty teen" stereotype, usually the one who cuts themselves, likes "lol random humor" such as GIR from Invader Zim or anything involving "bacon of doom" or whatever, pretends to "hate everything", writes yaoi fan fiction, wears eyeliner and piercings, etc.

However, nowadays, I see a lot of nostalgia for this era of music. Granted, it's partially ironic, but still. Take this very silly comment, for example:
http://i.imgur.com/J0BwLb8.png

Do you think these artists were at all good, or are they just so campy and of-their-era that they're fun to listen to?

Subject: Re: Linkin Park, Avril Lavigne, Blink-182, etc.: Good, Bad, or So-Bad-They're-Good?

Written By: TheMusicdewd on 10/25/15 at 7:04 pm

Terrible.

I like song Blink-182 and Linkin Park songs...but stuff like Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance, Good Charlotte?

Those bands killed rock and would never hold up to The Beatles, Nirvana, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Queen, U2, Metallica or Black Sabbath. Rock already had issues when when Creed and Nickelback took over but then all those styles came in destroyed rock permanently.

Subject: Re: Linkin Park, Avril Lavigne, Blink-182, etc.: Good, Bad, or So-Bad-They're-Good?

Written By: JordanK1982 on 10/25/15 at 11:29 pm

When emo/pop punk artists such as these were active (around the early-mid 2000s), they were heavily derided. In fact, they were usually associated with the "angsty teen" stereotype, usually the one who cuts themselves, likes "lol random humor" such as GIR from Invader Zim or anything involving "bacon of doom" or whatever, pretends to "hate everything", writes yaoi fan fiction, wears eyeliner and piercings, etc.

Do you think these artists were at all good, or are they just so campy and of-their-era that they're fun to listen to?

In 2000-2002, these tropes didn't exist aside from the hating everything "angsty teen" stereotype. Cutting wasn't the emo joke that it has been since 2005, Gir was just something from a cartoon (not to mention, a good cartoon), not a stupid character for some fat Hot Topic chick's t-shirt and I have no clue what yaoi is. But do I think they're good? I enjoy blink-182 and Sum 41 but Avril and Linkin Park were always sh*tty. But even the bad stuff from the Y2K 1998-2002 era does have a bit of charm to it.

There is some really cheesy f*cking sh*t from that era, though. What the hell is this:

The bastard child of Limp Bizkit and Sum 41:
PeLyLjYcOl4

These guys make 16 year old me look like a stud with the babes (and that is a hard thing to do. Good job guys):
LfQ_VvoMNVI

These guys rule but it's still pretty cheesy:
QfcLcDBII78

It really sucks to be this guy:
1GIz4-KcPNo

And of course:

vng1P29QbX4

2tLf1JO5bvE

Written By: #Infinity on 10/26/15 at 2:14 am

Honestly, I do enjoy a lot of 2000s pop punk, but it's still inferior to 90s stuff like Green Day, The Offspring, and No Doubt, plus the heavyweight rock & roll bands of bygone eras.  It's an overstatement to say these bands are objectively horrendous when things like snap, crunkcore, and white supremacist rock exist, but second wave pop punk is only satisfyingly catchy at best, forgettably repetitive at the worst.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 10/27/15 at 1:04 am

Honestly, I do enjoy a lot of 2000s pop punk, but it's still inferior to 90s stuff like Green Day, The Offspring, and No Doubt, plus the heavyweight rock & roll bands of bygone eras.  It's an overstatement to say these bands are objectively horrendous when things like snap, crunkcore, and white supremacist rock exist, but second wave pop punk is only satisfyingly catchy at best, forgettably repetitive at the worst.

No Doubt? No Doubt is a ska band! And Dookie and Smash are the albums that started the second wave of Pop Punk even if the bands themselves formed during the first wave.

Written By: #Infinity on 10/27/15 at 1:09 am

No Doubt? No Doubt is a ska band! And Dookie and Smash are the albums that started the second wave of Pop Punk even if the bands themselves formed during the first wave.

There were some songs from Tragic Kingdom leaning much more towards punk (i.e., Just a Girl, Excuse Me Mr.), not to mention ska is heavily related to punk, anyway.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 10/27/15 at 1:20 am

There were some songs from Tragic Kingdom leaning much more towards punk (i.e., Just a Girl, Excuse Me Mr.), not to mention ska is heavily related to punk, anyway.

Just a Girl isn't really like a Pop Punk song, though. It sounds more like Smash Mouth (yeah, yeah, I know their first album was Ska Punk but I meant Smash Mouth's sound in general) than Green Day if you ask me. If you mean late 80's/90's Ska, than yeah, sure it was. That's why they call it "Ska Punk." I don't think No Doubt is better than any 1994-2003 second wave pop punk bands, either. They had a handful of decent songs but most of it was sh*t.

Written By: #Infinity on 10/27/15 at 1:42 am

Just a Girl isn't really like a Pop Punk song, though. It sounds more like Smash Mouth (yeah, yeah, I know their first album was Ska Punk but I meant Smash Mouth's sound in general) than Green Day if you ask me. If you mean late 80's/90's Ska, than yeah, sure it was. That's why they call it "Ska Punk." I don't think No Doubt is better than any 1994-2003 second wave pop punk bands, either. They had a handful of decent songs but most of it was sh*t.

Smash Mouth was mostly a 60s throwback band with millennial-era production sensibilities, at least in terms of their hit singles (including Walkin' on the Sun from Fush Yu Mang).  They were pretty different from No Doubt.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 10/27/15 at 1:50 am

Smash Mouth was mostly a 60s throwback band with millennial-era production sensibilities, at least in terms of their hit singles (including Walkin' on the Sun from Fush Yu Mang).  They were pretty different from No Doubt.

The keyboard in Just a Girl sounds straight out of a Smash Mouth song. The rest of Fush Yu Mang isn't thatdifferent from anything No Doubt did (except it's a bit more punky but too bad it still kinda sucks) but everything No Doubt did is pretty different from Green Day and Offspring (even the Offspring's Ska songs sound nothing like No Doubt). They're not like actual good Ska Punk bands like Less Than Jake or Planet Smashers who definitely had both the Punk and the Ska and sounded like the previously mentioned bands.

Written By: Ripley on 10/27/15 at 4:50 pm

I'm guilty of liking some of this stuff lol I was a fan of Good Charlotte. Strange as I'm actually an Industrial fan.  I don't consider GC emo more Punk. But I do like some emo bands.  Simple Plan was good for one.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/27/15 at 5:07 pm

I liked Avril during her first two albums. I think she has talent. I'm not into her after her second album though.

I only liked Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory album and that's it.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 10/28/15 at 6:16 am

I'm guilty of liking some of this stuff lol I was a fan of Good Charlotte. Strange as I'm actually an Industrial fan.  I don't consider GC emo more Punk. But I do like some emo bands.  Simple Plan was good for one.

Wait? People actually call Simple Plan emo? Ha, I have never heard that one before.

Written By: Ripley on 10/28/15 at 12:01 pm

Sometimes.... Really I've more considered them Alternative.  But none of these are really emo to me.  Just cause it's angry or sad doesn't make it emo right.  In my opinion Avril was pop with a punk attitude.  Whereas Linkin Park combines different genres.  I can't place them in just one.  Some call Panic At The Disco emo well it's not either.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/28/15 at 2:03 pm

Sorry, I just loved/love Avril's first album

http://i2.wp.com/aftertheshow.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/avril-lavigne-let-go-album-cover.jpg

Stats

Released: 2002
US sales: 6.9 million copies
First week US sales: 62,000 at #8
Worldwide sales: No official number, roughly 16-20 million copies

Written By: JordanK1982 on 10/28/15 at 2:18 pm

Sometimes.... Really I've more considered them Alternative.  But none of these are really emo to me.  Just cause it's angry or sad doesn't make it emo right.  In my opinion Avril was pop with a punk attitude.  Whereas Linkin Park combines different genres.  I can't place them in just one.  Some call Panic At The Disco emo well it's not either.

I see them as a Pop Punk band. That's true. Emo's actually a pretty specific style of music. Bands like Jimmy Eat World are Emo (who also happened to be big around the same time that Simple Plan were). I consider Avril to be Pop Rock and Linkin Park to be Nu Metal. I hate when people do that! Just because the guy wears eyeliner (something that wasn't even an Emo thing until 2004) doesn't mean it's Emo! They're not even Pop Punk really. They're closer to standard Pop Rock than anything.

Written By: whistledog on 10/29/15 at 7:17 am

Avril was born in the same hospital that I was (different years), so it's difficult for me to hate her.  Plus, if you saw the video for her song "What the Hell?", she looks damn fine in a bra and panties!!!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/01/28/article-0-0CF1685A000005DC-865_634x343.jpg

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/29/15 at 9:58 am

I liked Avril before she went kind of poppy. In my teen years I had this really weird rocker/emo phase where I was like the poster child for Hot Topic, in all black and chains and things and my mom was really praying for me. LOL. I liked her and Blink-182 and all sorts of rock acts then. Good Charlotte, Panic at the Disco (I still have a PATD shirt!) My Chemical Romance...that was my soundtrack.
I kind of miss those days sometimes. LOL. I'm really girly now but I will get up and headbang and scream lyrics with the best of them.

Written By: 2001 on 01/05/16 at 12:13 am

http://i2.wp.com/aftertheshow.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/avril-lavigne-let-go-album-cover.jpg

Stats

Released: 2002
US sales: 6.9 million copies
First week US sales: 62,000 at #8
Worldwide sales: No official number, roughly 16-20 million copies

I loved this album! It's the first album I bought on CD  :D I got made fun of in school but it was worth it lol.

I especially like the tracks "Naked" and "Anything But Ordinary". I'm With You was also a real goody when I moved to a new neighbourhood in 2004 and was feeling really lonely, that song hits close to home.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/05/16 at 12:23 am

I remember Avril Lavigne's Girlfriend song being played a lot throughout 2007. I didn't like it at all. Not a big fan of most of her other music anyway.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/05/16 at 12:57 am

Good. I was really into Avril during my "rocker" phase as a teen.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/05/16 at 1:05 am

Not a big Avril fan but Let Go is better than everything else she's done. Best Damn Thing is an awful record and even worse is that Sum 41's Underclass Hero is the equally as terrible counterpart (*shakes fist at Avril*).

Written By: 2001 on 01/05/16 at 9:58 am

Good. I was really into Avril during my "rocker" phase as a teen.

I went through that phase when I was preteen (12 to 14), so that was even worse. Still surprised I didn't get killed.

Not a big Avril fan but Let Go is better than everything else she's done. Best Damn Thing is an awful record and even worse is that Sum 41's Underclass Hero is the equally as terrible counterpart (*shakes fist at Avril*).

How dare you insult the Royal Canadian Family  >:(

But yeah, all her albums after Under My Skin are awful. I stopped listening to Sum 41 after Go Chuck Yourself; Avril Lavigne getting married to Deryck Whibley did a number on that band lol.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/05/16 at 10:46 am

How dare you insult the Royal Canadian Family  >:(

But yeah, all her albums after Under My Skin are awful. I stopped listening to Sum 41 after Go Chuck Yourself; Avril Lavigne getting married to Deryck Whibley did a number on that band lol.

Hahahahaha!!!!!!!

Yeah, I agree with that. Even Under My Skin was kinda so-so. You know what's funny? He Wasn't and Best Damn Thing are both songs about the same thing but Best Damn Thing gives off this 'bitchy blonde chick' vibe. Let Go is the only one I can tolerate all the way though. At least she used to write loud rock songs once upon a time; that I'll give her credit for. I thought Chuck was a disappointment when it came out. It had some good songs but it came out after Infected of all albums! That was such a good album and it was the perfect blend of Pop Punk and Metal (it reminded me of another band called Strung Out. You might of heard of them. They're really good). Underclass Hero was really, really bad. Why'd Deryck think it was a good idea to write a counterpart to Avril's album??? I hope that now Dave's back in the band they get back to their roots. Another All Killer/Half Hour/Infected would be great to hear. Now she's gone and married/divorced Mr. Nickelback!

By the way, do you like Treble Charger? Their song American Psycho was Canada's nation anthem from 2000-2003.

Written By: 2001 on 01/05/16 at 5:57 pm

I just listened to it; it doesn't sound very familiar. >_< I used to only listen to music on the Hit List (Canadian music show), so from 1997-2002 I only really know kid-friendly music.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/05/16 at 6:01 pm

I just listened to it; it doesn't sound very familiar. >_< I used to only listen to music on the Hit List (Canadianmusic show), so from 2000-2002 I only really know kid-friendly music.

Haha, ok. They're a really good band. From Maybe It's Me up to Detox, they were one of the biggest Canadian Pop Punk bands (and that timeline spans from 1997 to 2002, so that might explain it :P). At the time, it was like they were like Canada's main source of patriotism! ;D Even my Uncle (who lives in Toronto) likes them. They toured with Gob, Sum 41 and Simple Plan a bunch so I was able to see them a few times. Pretty good sh*t! ;) Ever play the NHL games? They were on NHL 02 and 03.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/15/16 at 8:35 am

Linkin Park - They were my favourite childhood band. I was introduced to their music as a toddler, when my Mum used to listen to Hybrid Theory in the car. Meteora was released roughly two weeks after my birthday and as a 4 year old at the time, I enjoyed listening to all of the songs on the album, especially Faint and Nobody's Listening. In 2007, I remember my Mum and I used to look for additional songs of theirs on Limewire and we would burn some of their "songs" (which weren't actually by Linkin Park, but by other artists/bands. They were listed as Linkin Park songs.) onto disc.

That same year, we joined the Linkin Park "Underground" Fan club and I went with my Mum and a friend of hers, to see Linkin Park perform at the Sydney Entertainment Centre on the 20th October. It was the first (and so far, the only) proper concert I had ever been to. Out of the 13,000 people who went to see them perform, I was the youngest person there. :P For Christmas that year, I received the What I've Done EP as a present. I remember feeling disappointed that Linkin Park had changed their style with Midnights to Midnight.

Time has since passed and if i'm going to be honest, i'm not overly into them anymore. I have Hybrid Theory and Meteora in my car (and on my phone), but I never listen to them. Those two albums will always hold a special place within me, but I don't think I will ever be into their music as much as I was.

Avril Lavigne - I have never been a fan of her music, although I don't mind Sk8er Boi. Like Linkin Park, I believe Avril Lavigne is one of those artists who are products of their time, and that's it.

Blink-182 Have never liked Blink-182's music. Although, to be honest, I never belonged in Blink-182's target demographic to begin with. Were they ever popular with non-adolescents? Probably not. Again, they are pretty much a product of their time.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/15/16 at 11:36 am

Linkin Park - They were my favourite childhood band. I was introduced to their music as a toddler, when my Mum used to listen to Hybrid Theory in the car. Meteora was released roughly two weeks after my birthday and as a 4 year old at the time, I enjoyed listening to all of the songs on the album, especially Faint and Nobody's Listening. In 2007, I remember my Mum and I used to look for additional songs of theirs on Limewire and we would burn some of their "songs" (which weren't actually by Linkin Park, but by other artists/bands. They were listed as Linkin Park songs.) onto disc.

That same year, we joined the Linkin Park "Underground" Fan club and I went with my Mum and a friend of hers, to see Linkin Park perform at the Sydney Entertainment Centre on the 20th October. It was the first (and so far, the only) proper concert I had ever been to. Out of the 13,000 people who went to see them perform, I was the youngest person there. :P For Christmas that year, I received the What I've Done EP as a present. I remember feeling disappointed that Linkin Park had changed their style with Midnights to Midnight.

Time has since passed and if i'm going to be honest, i'm not overly into them anymore. I have Hybrid Theory and Meteora in my car (and on my phone), but I never listen to them. Those two albums will always hold a special place within me, but I don't think I will ever be into their music as much as I was.

There was no bigger Linkin Park fan back in the early '00s than me. I was 13 when Hybrid Theory came out, and thus the prime audience for that type of angsty Rap-Rock. You name something related to LP, and I had it. Hybrid Theory, the Hybrid Theory special two disc edition, the rare Hybrid Theory EP, Reanimation, Linkin Park: Live in Texas, and then some. I had an LP t-shirt, an LP hoodie, and even a gigantic LP poster on my bedroom wall. When Meteora came out, I waited in line at my local Wal-Mart to buy it on day one. And, yes, I was a member of the LP Underground, too. ;)

I liked Minutes to Midnight because, by 2007, I had long grown out of the whole Nu Metal phase, so their sound change didn't really bother me. I'm obviously not anywhere near as into them now as I was as a teenager, but LP remains a guilty pleasure for me. The reason why (to me anyway) their music stands up against other Y2K Nu Metal groups like Korn and Limp Bizkit is because it just sounds better. It's catchier, it's hookier, and doesn't have the disadvantage of Fred Durst attempting to sing on it. While LP certainly aren't The Beatles or The Stones, they sound like Mozart compared to most of their early '00s contemporaries.

There are probably some people my age ashamed to admit that they ever liked LP, but not me. Hell, I'll still even pop Hybrid Theory into my car's CD player and jam on my way to work every once in a while. 8)

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/15/16 at 5:36 pm

There was no bigger Linkin Park fan back in the early '00s than me. I was 13 when Hybrid Theory came out, and thus the prime audience for that type of angsty Rap-Rock. You name something related to LP, and I had it. Hybrid Theory, the Hybrid Theory special two disc edition, the rare Hybrid Theory EP, Reanimation, Linkin Park: Live in Texas, and then some. I had an LP t-shirt, an LP hoodie, and even a gigantic LP poster on my bedroom wall. When Meteora came out, I waited in line at my local Wal-Mart to buy it on day one. And, yes, I was a member of the LP Underground, too. ;)

I liked Minutes to Midnight because, by 2007, I had long grown out of the whole Nu Metal phase, so their sound change didn't really bother me. I'm obviously not anywhere near as into them now as I was as a teenager, but LP remains a guilty pleasure for me. The reason why (to me anyway) their music stands up against other Y2K Nu Metal groups like Korn and Limp Bizkit is because it just sounds better. It's catchier, it's hookier, and doesn't have the disadvantage of Fred Durst attempting to sing on it. While LP certainly aren't The Beatles or The Stones, they sound like Mozart compared to most of their early '00s contemporaries.

There are probably some people my age ashamed to admit that they ever liked LP, but not me. Hell, I'll still even pop Hybrid Theory into my car's CD player and jam on my way to work every once in a while. 8)

If you don't mind me asking, how were you able to purchase the Hybrid Theory EP? According to the Wikipedia page, only 1,000 copies were ever pressed/released and the EP was released 17 months prior to the album. I own the Live in Texas and Reanimation albums as well, although I have never liked or chosen to listen to Reanimation.

I didn't mind Minutes to Midnight, although at the time, I did prefer their previous two albums. Looking back on Minutes to Midnight, I believe it's of a higher standard to both Hybrid Theory and Meteora, especially in terms of the song structures and the sound of the songs. I think Linkin Park were quite guilty of sticking with the same lyrical and song structures with Hybrid Theory and Meteora. In retrospect, it's for the best that they did leave the Nu-Metal genre and move onto a more alternative sound.

I agree that Linkin Park are better than their Nu-Metal counterparts. The close relationship between Mike and Chester allows the lyrics in each song to flow and not feel disjointed. One of the best things about their music, is that each song is unique and has it's own identity. Even when Linkin Park were a Nu-Metal band, they still incorporated elements of other genres into their music. I don't think any other Nu-Metal band would have incorporated a song, such as Breaking The Habit or Nobody's Listening, onto their albums. :P

It's good to hear from someone else who was also a big fan of Linkin Park. Unfortunately, it seems as though most people don't view Linkin Park in high-esteem anymore. Based on what I have witnessed, most people on internet forums/websites ridicule the band and view them as being a joke. I have mentioned to a few of my friends in the past about being a big fan of Linkin Park when I was younger, but they have always joked about it and never take me seriously. It was interesting to read your insight into the band. :)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/15/16 at 8:36 pm

Linkin Park ftw. Avril Lavigne was the queen of the late 2000s. I haven't listened to Blink-182 a lot, but they're okay.

Written By: Zelek3 on 12/15/16 at 8:39 pm

Avril was born in the same hospital that I was (different years), so it's difficult for me to hate her.  Plus, if you saw the video for her song "What the Hell?", she looks damn fine in a bra and panties!!!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/01/28/article-0-0CF1685A000005DC-865_634x343.jpg

Unf

Written By: 2001 on 12/15/16 at 9:06 pm

Linkin Park ftw. Avril Lavigne was the queen of the late 2000s. I haven't listened to Blink-182 a lot, but they're okay.

I hope that's a typo, because I'm scared it isn't. http://i.imgur.com/OJI8q.gif

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/15/16 at 9:56 pm

It's... complicated. :P

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/15/16 at 10:30 pm

If you don't mind me asking, how were you able to purchase the Hybrid Theory EP? According to the Wikipedia page, only 1,000 copies were ever pressed/released and the EP was released 17 months prior to the album. I own the Live in Texas and Reanimation albums as well, although I have never liked or chosen to listen to Reanimation.

Oops, I should've been a little clearer on that. I didn't have an actual copy of the Hybrid Theory EP, but rather a bootleg version that a friend of mine burned on CD for me around 2003 or so, after all of the songs from the EP were readily available on P2P networks. I wish I did have an actual copy of the HT EP, though, because that would probably worth quite a bit of money now.

It's good to hear from someone else who was also a big fan of Linkin Park. Unfortunately, it seems as though most people don't view Linkin Park in high-esteem anymore. Based on what I have witnessed, most people on internet forums/websites ridicule the band and view them as being a joke. I have mentioned to a few of my friends in the past about being a big fan of Linkin Park when I was younger, but they have always joked about it and never take me seriously. It was interesting to read your insight into the band. :)

Thanks! You're right that Linkin Park gets made fun of alot nowadays online, but I just don't see what all the negativity is about myself. I mean, like I said, they might not the greatest band ever or anything, but they're honestly not that bad either. And, yes, the songs on Hybrid Theory and Meteora are extremely repetitive, but they're also catchy as hell, too.

Perhaps your friends think negatively of Linkin Park because they were young when the band was popular and view them as outdated by today's standards? I know back when I was a teenager that me and my friends used to mock groups that were popular when we were young (hair bands like Poison, Skid Row, Firehouse, etc.) all the time. On the other hand, we did like Grunge groups that were popular when we were kids like Nirvana, though.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/15/16 at 11:07 pm

Oops, I should've been a little clearer on that. I didn't have an actual copy of the Hybrid Theory EP, but rather a bootleg version that a friend of mine burned on CD for me around 2003 or so, after all of the songs from the EP were readily available on P2P networks. I wish I did have an actual copy of the HT EP, though, because that would probably worth quite a bit of money now.

Thanks! You're right that Linkin Park gets made fun of alot nowadays online, but I just don't see what all the negativity is about myself. I mean, like I said, they might not the greatest band ever or anything, but they're honestly not that bad either. And, yes, the songs on Hybrid Theory and Meteora are extremely repetitive, but they're also catchy as hell, too.

Perhaps your friends think negatively of Linkin Park because they were young when the band was popular and view them as outdated by today's standards? I know back when I was a teenager that me and my friends used to mock groups that were popular when we were young (hair bands like Poison, Skid Row, Firehouse, etc.) all the time. On the other hand, we did like Grunge groups that were popular when we were kids like Nirvana, though.

Haha, dude, I'm 100% sure you're one of the nu metal kids I trolled back in the early 00's. Oh man, I used to fight with them all the time.
Me: "Fred Durst is a monkey's uncle"
NuMetalfan666freddurst4ever: "cmon u fag flipping fite me i will fecks u up"

Blink-182 Have never liked Blink-182's music. Although, to be honest, I never belonged in Blink-182's target demographic to begin with. Were they ever popular with non-adolescents? Probably not. Again, they are pretty much a product of their time.

You'll find a lot of guys my age who were in high school back then still have a soft spot for blink but otherwise, I can agree. You had to be there in 1997 with Dude Ranch (in my case) or 1999 with Enema.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/16/16 at 12:32 am

It's weird how she went from that to this

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ab/Avril_Lavigne_-_Hello_Kitty_(Official_Single_Cover).png

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/16/16 at 6:03 am

Bruh. That "Girlfriend" song of hers was really popular in the late 2000s. I remember hearing it on a lot of AMVs on YouTube.

Written By: TheKid99 on 12/16/16 at 8:16 am

Girlfriend was the first song other than Souja Boy - Crank That that I REALLY remember hearing that was modern and I was only 6 years old!

I am not the biggest fan of Blink in the 2000s.... their early stuff was fantastic but then they really started pandering to the record companies starting in 1999 with Enema of the State.

I have not really listened to Linkin Park

Written By: Slim95 on 12/16/16 at 11:47 am

Girlfriend was the first song other than Souja Boy - Crank That that I REALLY remember hearing that was modern and I was only 6 years old!

I am not the biggest fan of Blink in the 2000s.... their early stuff was fantastic but then they really started pandering to the record companies starting in 1999 with Enema of the State.

I have not really listened to Linkin Park

Girlfriend no longer sounds modem because you won't hear a song like that on the radio anymore. Crank that maybe, but it is a horrible song.  8-P

Written By: Slim95 on 12/16/16 at 11:49 am

Bruh. That "Girlfriend" song of hers was really popular in the late 2000s. I remember hearing it on a lot of AMVs on YouTube.

It was only popular in 2007. In 2008 - 2009, Avril Lavigne wasn't in the spotlight.

Written By: 2001 on 12/16/16 at 2:53 pm

It's... complicated. :P

I see the way you're acting like Avril's from the late 2000s gets me frustrated http://i.imgur.com/OJI8q.gif

It was the downfall of her career. When she released the infinitely superior What the Hell in 2011 it failed to catch on because her fans abandoned her after that fiasco. http://i.imgur.com/OJI8q.gif

Paramore is the queen of the late 2000s anyway.

FWIW, the kids in my neighbourhood listened to Blink in 2003/2004.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/16/16 at 2:58 pm

It was only popular in 2007. In 2008 - 2009, Avril Lavigne wasn't in the spotlight.

Tell that to everyone on YouTube back in 2008 and 2009. I'm pretty sure they would react differently to your statement.

It was the downfall of her career. When she released the infinitely superior What the Hell in 2011 it failed to catch on because her fans abandoned her after that fiasco. http://i.imgur.com/OJI8q.gif

Paramore is the queen of the late 2000s anyway.

You don't know what America had as the coolest bands. Although if I lived in Canada, I would most likely view Billy Talent as the king of the late 2000s. Avril Lavigne would've been okay, but not as superior.

Written By: Zelek3 on 12/16/16 at 3:05 pm

As with most other artists, Avril abandoned the "pop punk" aspect of her music in favor of plain old "pop pop". :P

Written By: 2001 on 12/16/16 at 3:09 pm

As with most other artists, Avril abandoned the "pop punk" aspect of her music in favor of plain old "pop pop". :P

Have you listened to Rock and Roll though? http://i.imgur.com/OJI8q.gif

I liked it. http://i.imgur.com/OJI8q.gif

Written By: Zelek3 on 12/16/16 at 3:12 pm

Poke, even though you're gay, did you ever find yourself tempted by 2002-2004 era Avril? I'd be surprised if there's a teenage boy of that time who wasn't.

Written By: 2001 on 12/16/16 at 3:16 pm

Poke, even though you're gay, did you ever find yourself tempted by 2002-2004 era Avril? I'd be surprised if there's a teenage boy of that time who wasn't.

Hmm, not really. She wasn't that sexualized yet except maybe barely in her Don't Tell Me MV.

Britney Spears in her Toxic MV though... *fan*

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/16/16 at 5:53 pm

Oh ok, that's fair enough. It would be pretty interesting to listen to the songs off the Hybrid Theory EP. The only song I have ever listened to off the EP is "Part of Me", which I think I downloaded off Limewire at some point. Apparently the track, "High Voltage", was intended to be included on the Hybrid Theory album, but it was removed during the final stages of recording.

Quite possibly, but they dislike current Top-40 music and prefer music from the 80s-2000s, so I think they just have the same viewpoint as others who criticise Linkin Park on the Internet. I think the main reason behind it, is because Linkin Park are really a product of their time (Early 2000s) and they're viewed as being somewhat of a joke. As you suggested, they're really not as bad as people make them out to be. Perhaps in another 5-10 years more people will be appreciative of the band.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/16/16 at 6:59 pm

I remember in 2004 when Avril changed her image from tomboy to wearing black skirts and I thought it was kinda hot.

Written By: 2001 on 12/16/16 at 7:03 pm

I remember in 2004 when Avril changed her image from tomboy to wearing black skirts and I thought it was kinda hot.

And now we discover your hatred for faux-emo was a repressed sexual desire http://i.imgur.com/OJI8q.gif

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/16/16 at 7:09 pm

And now we discover your hatred for faux-emo was a repressed sexual desire http://i.imgur.com/OJI8q.gif

No, Avril just looked hot in those black dresses with the messy multi-colored hair. Actually, I also thought she was pretty hot in 2007 with the blonde hair, too...

Written By: 2001 on 12/16/16 at 7:14 pm

No, Avril just looked hot in those black dresses with the messy multi-colored hair. Actually, I also thought she was pretty hot in 2007 with the blonde hair, too...

What about Hello Kitty?

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/16/16 at 8:15 pm

What about Hello Kitty?

No thanks! 8-P

Written By: 80sfan on 12/16/16 at 8:51 pm

2002 to 2004 Avril was tops!  8)  8)

Written By: 2001 on 12/17/16 at 3:59 pm

2002 to 2004 Avril was tops!  8)  8)

I haven't listened to some of the songs in years, but if I play any song off Let Go or Under My Skin again, I'm pretty sure I'd still remember the lyrics like yesterday ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 12/17/16 at 4:04 pm

I haven't listened to some of the songs in years, but if I play any song off Let Go or Under My Skin again, I'm pretty sure I'd still remember the lyrics like yesterday ;D

Her song Nobody's Home is good, but sad!  :\'(  :\'(

Written By: Slim95 on 12/17/16 at 4:18 pm

Did you guys hear about the conspiracy theory that Avril Lavigne died in 2005 and this is just a clone?  ::)

Written By: 2001 on 12/17/16 at 4:30 pm

Her song Nobody's Home is good, but sad!  :\'( :\'(

Sh*t, I have really dark memories associated with that song.  :\'( :\'(

When my sisters were born, one had a congenital disorder so she was an incubator for the first month in her life, and my other sister had a high fever after she was home for a day and so was hospitalized too. The sad MV combined with lyrics like She wants to home..., and She's broken inside, and I couldn't help her, and What's wrong now, what's wrong now etc. (practically every line in the song) was enough to make me cry like a b*tch back then.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/17/16 at 4:53 pm

Did you guys hear about the conspiracy theory that Avril Lavigne died in 2005 and this is just a clone?  ::)

If it was made by the same person who thought Paul McCartney died in the 60s and was replaced by a clone, then I'm not buying it. Whoever made that sh*t up, really needs to go outside more.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/18/16 at 1:51 am

If it was made by the same person who thought Paul McCartney died in the 60s and was replaced by a clone, then I'm not buying it. Whoever made that sh*t up, really needs to go outside more.

Even though I don't agree with the entire theory, the one noticeable difference between the Paul McCartney death rumour and Avril Lavigne one, is that there is actually "evidence" which supports the Paul McCartney claim. It's a pretty interesting read and although it is clear that Paul McCartney is still alive and well today, some of the evidence does make a bit of sense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_is_dead

I do agree with what you're suggesting though.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/18/16 at 2:30 am

No.  :D  :D

Written By: 80sfan on 12/18/16 at 2:33 am

When my sisters were born, one had a congenital disorder so she was an incubator for the first month in her life, and my other sister had a high fever after she was home for a day and so was hospitalized too. The sad MV combined with lyrics like She wants to home..., and She's broken inside, and I couldn't help her, and What's wrong now, what's wrong now etc. (practically every line in the song) was enough to make me cry like a b*tch back then.

No wonder you don't touch Avril too much.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/18/16 at 10:59 am

I had a somewhat similar experience back around that same time with "Wake Me Up When September Ends" by Green Day, in particular the music video.

I had a cousin I was close with growing up who was serving in Iraq back in 2005 when that song was all over MTV and Fuse, and the video (which is about a young guy fighting in Iraq) always made me worry about it his safety. Frankly, it was kinda hard for me to watch.

Written By: 2001 on 12/18/16 at 12:57 pm

I had a somewhat similar experience back around that same time with "Wake Me Up When September Ends" by Green Day, in particular the music video.

I had a cousin I was close with growing up who was serving in Iraq back in 2005 when that song was all over MTV and Fuse, and the video (which is about a young guy fighting in Iraq) always made me worry about it his safety. Frankly, it was kinda hard for me to watch.

Despite listening to the song for what feels like a million times, I never actually watched the music video until now. Woah, it's really emotional, especially when he gets shot in the leg.  :-\\

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/18/16 at 6:23 pm

Oh yeah, speaking of Britney Spears; from 2000 to 2003 she was super, super hot. I remember seeing her on TV and magazines and sh!t and thinking "holy sh!t!!!"

Written By: 80sfan on 12/18/16 at 6:47 pm

Oh yeah, speaking of Britney Spears; from 2000 to 2003 she was super, super hot. I remember seeing her on TV and magazines and sh!t and thinking "holy sh!t!!!"

Avril was sort of looked at as the Anti-Britney when she became big in 2002. Once Avril came out, I felt that Britney was past her peak, career-wise!

Oh yeah, and if I were straight, both women were hot!!

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/18/16 at 6:48 pm

Avril was sort of looked at as the Anti-Britney when she became big in 2002. Once Avril came out, I felt that Britney was past her peak, career-wise!

I think Avril was super hot from 2004-2009 when she went all sexy. Brittney was still pretty big up to 2004 but her extra-hot era had to be 2000-2003. :D :D :D

Written By: 2001 on 12/18/16 at 7:21 pm

Maybe it's because of how disappointed I was, but Avril looked kinda ratchet in the Girlfriend video. She looked way better in the late 2007 "Hot" MV (appropriate name)  :D

fzb75m8NuMQ

(I guess you can watch it on mute)

Also I think I mentioned it before, but the Toxic MV and Britney in her diamond dress is when every boy in my class collectively hit puberty ;D And the Womanizer MV 🙏

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/18/16 at 7:35 pm

Maybe it's because of how disappointed I was, but Avril looked kinda ratchet in the Girlfriend video. She looked way better in the late 2007 "Hot" MV (appropriate name)  :D

fzb75m8NuMQ

(I guess you can watch it on mute)

Also I think I mentioned it before, but the Toxic MV and Britney in her diamond dress is when every boy in my class collectively hit puberty ;D And the Womanizer MV 🙏

I remember seeing that Hot video! Her dance moves are too sexy. Avril is only of the few artists that got better as the 00's went of (visually speaking, that is).

Britney is still pretty hot but she will never reach her early 00's peak again.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/18/16 at 7:42 pm

Linkin Park's first two albums were huge, especially the first one. It sold slowly and then kept adding more and more sales each week. Until it became a huge seller.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/18/16 at 7:43 pm

I remember when every second damn kid was into Nu Metal and my sister came home one day with Korn and Papa Roach shirts because of this boy she liked. There's this one time she came home with a stupid Crazy Town CD... That was the god damn worst thing I've ever heard!

Written By: 2001 on 12/18/16 at 7:47 pm

Linkin Park's first two albums were huge, especially the first one. It sold slowly and then kept adding more and more sales each week. Until it became a huge seller.

I invariably heard the entire album thanks to 2005/early 2006 YouTube and how it was used as background music to practically every video.

Written By: 2001 on 12/18/16 at 8:43 pm

I felt the same way. When Avril came out in 2002, I felt like the era of Britney Spears/Christina Aguilera was over. They were "so yesterday" ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 12/19/16 at 6:32 pm

I invariably heard the entire album thanks to 2005/early 2006 YouTube and how it was used as background music to practically every video.

I was not around for early 2005 Youtube. I didn't use Youtube until 2007.

Written By: 2001 on 12/19/16 at 10:11 pm

Wow, and they call me Slowpoke! :P

Written By: Slim95 on 12/19/16 at 10:13 pm

Haha yeah I started YouTube in early 2006. But I know a bunch of teens from back in the day who started in 05'.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/20/16 at 5:37 am

I didn't use YouTube until 2007 as well, but does it really matter?

Written By: 80sfan on 12/20/16 at 5:56 am

;D  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 12/20/16 at 5:57 am

I didn't use YouTube until 2007 as well, but does it really matter?

I don't know. Does it?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/20/16 at 6:03 am

I don't know. Does it?

No?

Written By: 2001 on 12/20/16 at 8:35 am

You missed out!

In the end it doesn't even matter

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/20/16 at 10:34 am

You missed out!

In the end it doesn't even matter

I had to fall
To lose it all
But in the end
It doesn't even matter

Check for new replies or respond here...