inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did Cartoon Network go downhill in either 2006 or 2007?

Written By: Zelek on 11/01/15 at 7:11 pm

Oftentimes, people say CN "died" in 2007 because Jim Samples resigned and Stuart Snyder took his place.

However, they're forgetting that 2006, despite being a Samples year, was when the City bumpers were replaced with the cheaper YES bumpers, when the live-action started with the Re-Animated movie, and when older shows were mostly neglected and newer ones started getting rerun into the ground.

Is it just because saying "1997-2006 was the golden age of CN" sounds rounder and nicer than "1997-2005 was the golden age"?

Subject: Re: Did Cartoon Network go downhill in either 2006 or 2007?

Written By: SpyroKev on 11/01/15 at 7:51 pm

Even though the City Bumpers were replaced in 2006, Cartoon Network was still tolerable until 2007. Toonami still had a fair lineup which was basically the life source of the Network at that point. It wasn't until 2008 where Cartoon Network was completely dead and Toonami became a joke.

Written By: mqg96 on 11/01/15 at 8:06 pm

Is it just because saying "1997-2006 was the golden age of CN" sounds rounder and nicer than "1997-2005 was the golden age"?

I always thought people said 1997-2003/early 2004 was the golden age, which I've always agreed with as long as I've lived!

Written By: mqg96 on 11/01/15 at 8:16 pm

Even though the City Bumpers were replaced in 2006, Cartoon Network was still tolerable until 2007. Toonami still had a fair lineup which was basically the life source of the Network at that point. It wasn't until 2008 where Cartoon Network was completely dead and Toonami became a joke.

Spring & Summer 2007 Cartoon Network was still tolerable even though it was already severely declining, but Fall 2007 is when everything collapsed. By 2006 most of Cartoon Network's shows only interested me on Toonami with Justice League Unlimited & Teen Titans reruns, Naruto, Fantastic Four, etc. The only original shows left that I still watched sometimes were Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Ben 10, Ed Edd n Eddy, Codename: KND, and Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy. Reruns of Cartoon Cartoons were played once a week during Saturdays or Sundays on Cartoon Cartoon Show/Top 5.

Written By: #Infinity on 11/01/15 at 9:10 pm

The channel first went really downhill at the end of 2004 and beginning of 2005, by which most of the classic Cartoon Cartoons were over and the channel was flooded with mediocre new shows like Atomic Betty and The Life and Times of Juniper Lee.  However, the channel's true dark age was not until 2008, when Billy & Mandy and Codename: Kids Next Door ended, with the station bottoming out completely in 2009 with the end of Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends (though I never identified with this show's characters much, I know a lot of people liked it) and introduction of CN Real.  The premieres of Adventure Time and Regular Show saved the channel somewhat in the early 2010s, but its golden era was still the late 90s and early 2000s.

Written By: Shemp97 on 11/01/15 at 9:40 pm

The channel first went really downhill at the end of 2004 and beginning of 2005, by which most of the classic Cartoon Cartoons were over and the channel was flooded with mediocre new shows like Atomic Betty and The Life and Times of Juniper Lee.  However, the channel's true dark age was not until 2008, when Billy & Mandy and Codename: Kids Next Door ended, with the station bottoming out completely in 2009 with the end of Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends (though I never identified with this show's characters much, I know a lot of people liked it) and introduction of CN Real.  The premieres of Adventure Time and Regular Show saved the channel somewhat in the early 2010s, but its golden era was still the late 90s and early 2000s.

That was pretty ok. Just take the little brother out and it would be a classic.

Written By: sonic2005 on 11/02/15 at 2:11 am

it started going downhill in 2006 when the yes era hit but it was still watchable
2007 is when it started dying 2008 it was officially gone

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/02/15 at 9:07 am

Heres how it went for me:

Checkerboard Era 1992-1997: I honestly do not remember this era so no comment

Powerhouse Era 1997-2004: Great (perfect balance of classic cartoons from the 70's & before, 80's & 90's syndicated cartoons, cartoon cartoons, action cartoons, anime, and cartoon movies, little to no live action what so ever, and some of the most memorable bumpers in the networks history)

City Era 2004-2006: Good (though this was when the network was starting to decline because of the decreasing amount of variety, however the continuation of some Powerhouse era toons, Toonami, and new epic bumpers helped the network stay afloat)

Yes Era 2006-2007: Meh (this was when the network was on a steep decline with some horrible bumpers and mediocore shows and the first live action movie produced by the network)

Fall is Something the Grownups Invented Era 2007-2008: Bad (this was around when CN died, mediocore cartoons, bad scheduling, and live action movies becoming more commonly seen)

Noods Era 2008-2010: Horrible (these were the dark ages with good shows like Ed, Edd & Eddy and KND and classic blocks like Toonami ending this year, along with the introduction of CN Real, a block dedicated to reality shows on the CARTOON NETWORK)

First Half of Check it Era 2010-2013: Meh (Network slightly improves with the premiere of Adventure Time and Regular Show, however many reality shows are still shown)

Modern CN/Check It Era 2013-Today: Sorta Good (Network improves with new shows and the cancellation of all of their reality shows, unfortunately their scheduling is still a major problem which prevents the network from being much better)

Written By: mqg96 on 11/02/15 at 2:17 pm

Heres how it went for me:
Staples's Yes Era 2006-2007: Meh (this was when the network was on a steep decline with some horrible bumpers and mediocore shows)

Snyder's Yes Era 2007-2008: Bad (this was around when CN died)

Move the stapler out of the way! It's Jim Samples! Also, 2007-2008 was the Fall Era A.K.A. "Fall Is Something That Grownups Invented". The Yes Era is technically still the 2nd half of the City, you probably already know this, but it's downgraded when they don't show City bumpers anymore and instead red background bumpers with cartoon characters in it, but all the shows that started in the City Era were still around. The only difference was that throughout the Yes Era, Teen Titans and Justice League Unlimited had ended, reruns of Xiaolin Showdown from Kids WB were played a lot, My Gym Partner's A Monkey and Squirrel Boy were played A LOT, while reruns of old Cartoon Cartoons disappeared completely from the network. Although, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Ed, Edd n Eddy, Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, Codename: KND, Ben 10, Camp Lazlo, etc. were still around. TOM 4 had debuted on Toonami which resulted in a decline of its programming, but even towards the end of the TOM 3 era it was already getting dry IMO. Then after May 2007 that officially marked the end of the Yes Era and the City branding completely.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 11/02/15 at 4:37 pm

2007 was really at its worse as by then Fridays were gone; the network re-branded again; there were now live action shows thanks to the 2006 movie Reanimated; and the president had changed. In 2006, it was still tolerable even though it had already declined when the channel decided to change the logo back in 2004.

Written By: Mat1991 on 11/02/15 at 7:08 pm

I have no recollection of watching Cartoon Network that much after 2004. That tells me that their post-Powerhouse eras weren't memorable for me at all. I don't remember why I stopped watching it as much, either. Maybe I sensed that their classic shows were ending and being replaced by shows I didn't really care for.

Anyway, I still seldom watch Cartoon Network to this day, unless one of their Cartoon Cartoons shows is on.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/02/15 at 9:03 pm

Move the stapler out of the way! It's Jim Samples! Also, 2007-2008 was the Fall Era A.K.A. "Fall Is Something That Grownups Invented". The Yes Era is technically still the 2nd half of the City, you probably already know this, but it's downgraded when they don't show City bumpers anymore and instead red background bumpers with cartoon characters in it, but all the shows that started in the City Era were still around. The only difference was that throughout the Yes Era, Teen Titans and Justice League Unlimited had ended, reruns of Xiaolin Showdown from Kids WB were played a lot, My Gym Partner's A Monkey and Squirrel Boy were played A LOT, while reruns of old Cartoon Cartoons disappeared completely from the network. Although, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Ed, Edd n Eddy, Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, Codename: KND, Ben 10, Camp Lazlo, etc. were still around. TOM 4 had debuted on Toonami which resulted in a decline of its programming, but even towards the end of the TOM 3 era it was already getting dry IMO. Then after May 2007 that officially marked the end of the Yes Era and the City branding completely.

I was not aware of that thanks man! Im gonna change my post now actually

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 11/02/15 at 10:28 pm

That was pretty ok. Just take the little brother out and it would be a classic.

Agreed. But Foster Home for Imaginary Friends and Code Lyoko were THE best from that CN city era. I'm excluding KND, Billy and Mandy, and Ed Edd Eddy, cause they are TECHNICALLY cartoons cartoons holdovers. Obviously Ed Edd Eddy were at their peak in the early 00s. But were KND and Billy & Mandy at their best in the early 00s or mid 00s?  :-\\ That's debatable! ;D

Written By: mqg96 on 11/03/15 at 3:42 am

Agreed. But Foster Home for Imaginary Friends and Code Lyoko were THE best from that CN city era. I'm excluding KND, Billy and Mandy, and Ed Edd Eddy, cause they are TECHNICALLY cartoons cartoons holdovers. Obviously Ed Edd Eddy were at their peak in the early 00s. But were KND and Billy & Mandy at their best in the early 00s or mid 00s?  :-\\ That's debatable! ;D

Funny thing though, look back at the original shows that premiered, I repeat, PREMIERED during the City Era, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends and Ben 10 were the only ones that were truly successful in terms of popularity, or had the most afford. While many others people had mixed opinions on, like Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi or Camp Lazlo, which were debatably decent or bad, and had the right writers but were missing something that could've made the series better. Code Lyoko was great too but technically was not an original series, but still variety on Miguzi though.

Look at some of the original shows or WB acquisitions that carried onto the City Era that were popular or did well. Teen Titans, Codename: KND, Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, Ed Edd n Eddy, Megas XLR, and Duck Dodgers. Now we can just already agree that Ed, Edd n Eddy's peak was in the early 2000's, reruns carried over throughout the City Era but most of the episodes when the Ed's went to school premiered throughout that time rather than when they were in the neighborhood, but thankfully as a kid I liked all of 'em! Codename: KND premiered in December 2002 so 2003 was the only full year of CN's golden age it was relevant, so most of its episodes premiered throughout CN City. Megas XLR premiered in May 2004, but cancelled after a short period of time. Grim Adventure of Billy & Mandy started in 2003, but was technically Grim & Evil from 2001-2002 but wasn't popular yet then as it was from 2003-2008. Teen Titans lasted from 2003-2006, and Duck Dodgers lasted from 2003-2005. Either way, all of these cartoons were already around before CN City began, so I get where you're coming from. When it comes to the shows responsible for coming out during the CN City, the majority of them were a huge drop off from the previous age of Cartoon Network with very few exceptions.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/03/15 at 10:16 am

Since I'm a mid-late 2000s kid and that I think Cartoon Network wasn't that good since 2010, I don't think it ever went downhill in 2006 or 2007. I mean, would it ever occur to you that I still liked the channel on both of those years?

Written By: the2001 on 11/03/15 at 10:56 am

Funny thing though, look back at the original shows that premiered, I repeat, PREMIERED during the City Era, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends and Ben 10 were the only ones that were truly successful in terms of popularity, or had the most afford. While many others people had mixed opinions on, like Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi or Camp Lazlo, which were debatably decent or bad, and had the right writers but were missing something that could've made the series better. Code Lyoko was great too but technically was not an original series, but still variety on Miguzi though.

Look at some of the original shows or WB acquisitions that carried onto the City Era that were popular or did well. Teen Titans, Codename: KND, Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, Ed Edd n Eddy, Megas XLR, and Duck Dodgers. Now we can just already agree that Ed, Edd n Eddy's peak was in the early 2000's, reruns carried over throughout the City Era but most of the episodes when the Ed's went to school premiered throughout that time rather than when they were in the neighborhood, but thankfully as a kid I liked all of 'em! Codename: KND premiered in December 2002 so 2003 was the only full year of CN's golden age it was relevant, so most of its episodes premiered throughout CN City. Megas XLR premiered in May 2004, but cancelled after a short period of time. Grim Adventure of Billy & Mandy started in 2003, but was technically Grim & Evil from 2001-2002 but wasn't popular yet then as it was from 2003-2008. Teen Titans lasted from 2003-2006, and Duck Dodgers lasted from 2003-2005. Either way, all of these cartoons were already around before CN City began, so I get where you're coming from. When it comes to the shows responsible for coming out during the CN City, the majority of them were a huge drop off from the previous age of Cartoon Network with very few exceptions.

CN fell off during 2007

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/03/15 at 11:10 am

They were actually in their prime during the mid 2000s.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 11/03/15 at 11:56 am

Codename: KND premiered in December 2002 so 2003 was the only full year of CN's golden age it was relevant, so most of its episodes premiered throughout CN City. Megas XLR premiered in May 2004, but cancelled after a short period of time. Grim Adventure of Billy & Mandy started in 2003, but was technically Grim & Evil from 2001-2002 but wasn't popular yet then as it was from 2003-2008. Teen Titans lasted from 2003-2006, and Duck Dodgers lasted from 2003-2005. Either way, all of these cartoons were already around before CN City began, so I get where you're coming from. When it comes to the shows responsible for coming out during the CN City, the majority of them were a huge drop off from the previous age of Cartoon Network with very few exceptions.

Duck Dodgers was a hybird of the powerhouse and city era
Teen Titans was STRICTLY a city era classic. It's best season was during the city era.
Billy & Mandy and KND were both powerhouse and city era shows.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 11/03/15 at 11:57 am

They were actually in their prime during the mid 2000s.

Nah, I'd say they are apart of BOTH the powerhouse early 00s era and the mid 00s city era.

Written By: mqg96 on 11/03/15 at 1:21 pm

CN fell off during 2007

I already mentioned on my second post that Fall 2007 is when CN officially collapsed, but I was responding to Eazy-EMAN1995's comment on the shows that started during the Powerhouse Era vs. the ones that started during CN City Era.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/03/15 at 2:05 pm

Nah, I'd say they are apart of BOTH the powerhouse early 00s era and the mid 00s city era.

But they weren't as popular compared to Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls and many other shows that ended during the Powerhouse era.

Written By: mqg96 on 11/03/15 at 2:11 pm

But they weren't as popular compared to Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls and many other shows that ended during the Powerhouse era.

Powerpuff Girls ended around Spring 2005 when the City Era was still pretty young, so the final season of PPG technically aired throughout the firs few months of CN City. Dexter's Lab ended in November 2003 towards the very end of the Powerhouse Era, so it's definitely clear that those are strictly Powerhouse shows. I think what he means is that Codename: KND and Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy are hybrid Powerhouse/City shows, but leaning towards City since most of its episodes did premiere during the City, despite a lot premiering during the Powerhouse as well. Remember Billy & Mandy was originally Grim & Evil which premiered in 2001, even though it wasn't as popular yet then until the series slit each other, many earlier episodes of Billy & Mandy did premiere when it was still combined with Evil Con Carne. Codename: KND premiered in December 2002 but was voted to become a series in Fall 2001.

Written By: Howard on 11/03/15 at 2:39 pm

I have no recollection of watching Cartoon Network that much after 2004. That tells me that their post-Powerhouse eras weren't memorable for me at all. I don't remember why I stopped watching it as much, either. Maybe I sensed that their classic shows were ending and being replaced by shows I didn't really care for.

Anyway, I still seldom watch Cartoon Network to this day, unless one of their Cartoon Cartoons shows is on.

I watch Cartoon Network unless there's a classic cartoon on.

Check for new replies or respond here...