inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Summer 2008

Written By: the2001 on 11/03/15 at 1:48 pm

Does anyone feel Summer 2008 was the last summer we ever had  (in terms of that dreamy vibe )
As soon as the fall hit the changes started dripping.

I remember Lady gaga's Just Dance Music Video was getting HUGE promotion on youtube during this time.

Subject: Re: Summer 2008

Written By: mqg96 on 11/03/15 at 2:06 pm

That was the most boring summer of my entire K-12 years, this was like the final nail in the coffin of my childhood, I believe playing the Wii and XBOX all day was the only great part about it. My entire house had to get renovated, floors, walls, rooms, etc. everything. This is when I started hitting puberty for the first time my whole life, in terms of height. I had to do swimming lessons at the YMCA each day. No vacations. This was probably the first summer I could hardly find anything on TV to watch. Although 2008 had some decent movies though, like Indiana Jones, Wall-E, Iron Man (which might had been the beginning of the Marvel golden age we're still in today), The Dark Knight, Twilight (although not into the series), and Kung Fu Panda. Summer 2009 was MUCH better for me though, despite some bittersweet moments at the time, and I went on some fun vacations, pretty relaxed.

Written By: mqg96 on 11/03/15 at 2:07 pm

Does anyone feel Summer 2008 was the last summer we ever had  (in terms of that dreamy vibe )

I agree, although for my personal life the last dreamy laid back vibe was Summer 2007.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/03/15 at 2:17 pm

I find the summer of 2008 to being average. Like what mqg96 said, it was not that bad. I find the summer of 2007 and 2009 to be better than '08, because those summers were awesome. Especially when the summer of 2009 was Nickelodeon's transition from their Splat era to their modern era.

Written By: the2001 on 11/03/15 at 2:43 pm

I find the summer of 2008 to being average. Like what mqg96 said, it was not that bad. I find the summer of 2007 and 2009 to be better than '08, because those summers were awesome. Especially when the summer of 2009 was Nickelodeon's transition from their Splat era to their modern era.

I feel 2007 was very bland  2008 summer was just fun mostly because of pop culture was wayyyyyyyyy better

Written By: the2001 on 11/03/15 at 2:43 pm

I agree, although for my personal life the last dreamy laid back vibe was Summer 2007.

most songs on the radio in summer 2008 still had that mid 2000s style

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 11/03/15 at 2:44 pm

http://7poundbag.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/economy.jpg  http://38.media.tumblr.com/e181e5d5ea267f32e50f5aa417d01274/tumblr_inline_n1dn0fXQIT1sao0lq.jpg

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/6659845_f520.jpg                    http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11111/111111166/3018061-4633882635-The_d.jpg

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTczOTA3MzY2N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTYwNjE2MQ@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpghttp://api.comingsoon.net//images//2008/poster-18848-Tropic_Thunder_poster.jpg

Well guys this summer was bittersweet, this was right before I entered my teenhood and my grandfather had passed!!! :\'( :\'( :\'(  This summer was pretty much the end of an era, that late 2000s period of late 2006 until mid 2008. The marvel cinematic universe began with the releases of Iron man and The incredible Hulk, which took comics out of the dark age period of the late 2000s. WWE went PG in July which aliened a lot of the long time views due to Linda McMahon's senate run and the Chris Benoit tragedy. This was right before the fall came and EVERYTHING changed! We can all agree 2008 was pretty damn changeful..

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 11/03/15 at 2:44 pm

most songs on the radio in summer 2008 still had that mid 2000s style

Yea the rock and rap did!!!

Written By: the2001 on 11/03/15 at 2:45 pm

http://7poundbag.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/economy.jpg  http://38.media.tumblr.com/e181e5d5ea267f32e50f5aa417d01274/tumblr_inline_n1dn0fXQIT1sao0lq.jpg

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/6659845_f520.jpg                    http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11111/111111166/3018061-4633882635-The_d.jpg

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTczOTA3MzY2N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTYwNjE2MQ@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpghttp://api.comingsoon.net//images//2008/poster-18848-Tropic_Thunder_poster.jpg

Well guys this summer was bittersweet, this was right before I entered my teenhood and my grandfather had passed!!! :\'( :\'( :\'(  This summer was pretty much the end of an era, that late 2000s period of late 2006 until mid 2008. The marvel cinematic universe began with the releases of Iron man and The incredible Hulk, which took comics out of the dark age period of the late 2000s. WWE went PG in July which aliened a lot of the long time views due to Linda McMahon's senate run and the Chris Benoit tragedy. This was right before the fall came and EVERYTHING changed! We can all agree 2008 was pretty damn changeful..

summer of 2008 was like the last breath of 2000s culture

Written By: mqg96 on 11/03/15 at 2:46 pm

Yea the rock and rap did!!!

In response to your previous comment, was WWE originally TV-14 before 2008?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 11/03/15 at 2:50 pm

In response to your previous comment, was WWE originally TV-14 before 2008?

Yes, from January 1999-Great American Bash ppv 2008 almost ALL of the wwe's programming was TV 14. Samckdown was their ONLY PG show since it was on network tv(UPN,CW) from 1999-2011.

Written By: mqg96 on 11/03/15 at 2:52 pm

Yes, from January 1999-Great American Bash ppv 2008 almost ALL of the wwe's programming was TV 14. Samckdown was their ONLY PG show since it was on network tv(UPN,CW) from 1999-2011.

So did they tone it down for censorship reasons or more kids watching it or something? I know many folks near by age including yourself who were completely find with WWE when it was originally TV-14 with more graphical fights in there. I wasn't big into WWE when I was a kid, I've always been more of a football person all my life, but thanks for the information.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 11/03/15 at 2:55 pm

So did they tone it down for censorship reasons or more kids watching it or something? I know many folks near by age including yourself who was completely find with WWE when it was originally TV-14 with more graphical fights in there. I wasn't big into WWE when I was a kid, I've always been more of a football person all my life, but thanks for the information.

They actually toned it down due to them begin a publicly traded company,public scrutiny in the media, the Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit tragedies, and the MAIN reason, Vince's wife Linda running for Senate! >:( >:( >:(

Written By: Howard on 11/03/15 at 3:46 pm

WWE went PG in July which aliened a lot of the long time views due to Linda McMahon's senate run and the Chris Benoit tragedy.

and now everything is family friendly. ::)

Written By: Howard on 11/03/15 at 3:48 pm

So did they tone it down for censorship reasons or more kids watching it or something? I know many folks near by age including yourself who were completely find with WWE when it was originally TV-14 with more graphical fights in there. I wasn't big into WWE when I was a kid, I've always been more of a football person all my life, but thanks for the information.

just what the hell happened to blood, chair shots, nudity and foul language?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/03/15 at 4:55 pm

and now everything is family friendly. ::)

It was TV-PG since 2008? Okay, who was responsible for that? I could've enjoyed WWE but with that, it just sucks.

Written By: nally on 11/03/15 at 10:23 pm

I had just graduated from college, but I then found out that I still needed a course for my academic minor (mathematics), which I took online.

Written By: #Infinity on 11/03/15 at 11:26 pm

I remember everything through the summer of 2008 feeling like a general continuation of 2007, with the Wii still in its peak (Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Mario Kart Wii being a huge deal at the time), snap music like Low and A Milli still being huge, Timbaland continuing to dominate the top 40 with tracks like Apologize and 4 Minutes, and things like YouTube still establishing itself.  Once autumn rolled around, however, things very quickly began moving in a new direction.  This was when Obama was running for President, the Great Recession became official, gay marriage became a bigger talking point than ever before thanks to Proposition 8, Facebook overtook MySpace in popularity, and eventually Lady Gaga released Just Dance.  I remember 2009 feeling radically different from 2008, even though the change wouldn't come full circle until early 2010.

To be fair, the feeling of transition during late 2008 and early 2009 was partially amplified in my personal life by my school, which celebrated its centennial that school year, saw its headmaster end a 26-year administration, and was preparing to introduce a sixth grade class for the first time the following school year.  Still, I don't think there's any doubt that late 2008 to 2010 was a period of significant cultural change.

Written By: Howard on 11/04/15 at 7:05 am

It was TV-PG since 2008? Okay, who was responsible for that? I could've enjoyed WWE but with that, it just sucks.

I think it's the content that's PG, they toned down a lot of things because kids are watching.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 11/04/15 at 8:33 am

Mainly because of Vince Mcmaohn's wife Linda running for senate, with other factors such as the tragic deaths of Eddie guerrero and Chris benoit in a two year period.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 11/04/15 at 8:34 am

I think it's the content that's PG, they toned down a lot of things because kids are watching.

They toned down things for safety of the wrestlers, mainly because of that benoit tragedy. The rating change I think was mainly because of Linda's senate run.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/04/15 at 10:27 am

I think it depends on where you were in life at that time.  To me, that was Summer 2006. 

2008 was a great year though and a lot of good things happened that summer.  It was my first summer after graduating college and many of the things I was doing were firsts for me.  I still had a close relationship with my family at that time.  I also took quite a few vacations that year.  I listened to mostly hip-hop that summer and didn't discover Lady Gaga until the fall. 

However, that summer also had its dark side and I don't understand how anybody who was up on current events at the time could consider it "dreamy."  I remember being very worried about Peak Oil and the society we know coming to an end as gas prices soared above $4 and oil was at $150 per barrel.  That summer, you couldn't turn on the news without fearmongering about how we were entering a second Great Depression.  Some were predicting we were about to see the complete collapse of western civilization.  There was a lot of talk about stocking up on guns, ammo, and non-perishable food.  Because I grew up fundamentalist, I was for Prop 8 at the time (in 2009 I came around on gay rights) and believed if it didn't pass, God would completely wipe out America.  As somebody with anxiety, this really bothered me a lot.

So yeah, summer 2008 was kind of a best of times and worst of times era in my own life.  Summer 2009 was a lot better.

Written By: Howard on 11/04/15 at 2:49 pm

Mainly because of Vince Mcmaohn's wife Linda running for senate, with other factors such as the tragic deaths of Eddie guerrero and Chris benoit in a two year period.

now the shows are at a record low because of the stupid content.

Written By: Howard on 11/04/15 at 2:50 pm

They toned down things for safety of the wrestlers, mainly because of that benoit tragedy. The rating change I think was mainly because of Linda's senate run.

The ratings are at a 18 year record low.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 11/04/15 at 4:34 pm

The ratings are at a 18 year record low.

yup, WWE was on the verge going out of business back then during the new generation era! WCW was kicking their asses. But now that they don't have any more competition, the product won't improve because WWE feels they can do whatever the hell they want.

Written By: the2001 on 11/04/15 at 7:28 pm

I think it depends on where you were in life at that time.  To me, that was Summer 2006. 

2008 was a great year though and a lot of good things happened that summer.  It was my first summer after graduating college and many of the things I was doing were firsts for me.  I still had a close relationship with my family at that time.  I also took quite a few vacations that year.  I listened to mostly hip-hop that summer and didn't discover Lady Gaga until the fall. 

However, that summer also had its dark side and I don't understand how anybody who was up on current events at the time could consider it "dreamy."  I remember being very worried about Peak Oil and the society we know coming to an end as gas prices soared above $4 and oil was at $150 per barrel.  That summer, you couldn't turn on the news without fearmongering about how we were entering a second Great Depression.  Some were predicting we were about to see the complete collapse of western civilization.  There was a lot of talk about stocking up on guns, ammo, and non-perishable food.  Because I grew up fundamentalist, I was for Prop 8 at the time (in 2009 I came around on gay rights) and believed if it didn't pass, God would completely wipe out America.  As somebody with anxiety, this really bothered me a lot.

So yeah, summer 2008 was kind of a best of times and worst of times era in my own life.  Summer 2009 was a lot better.

The gp on here is usually divided on wether 2006 or 2008 was the end, I see both as 2 ends if that makes sense?

Written By: bchris02 on 11/04/15 at 11:02 pm

The gp on here is usually divided on wether 2006 or 2008 was the end, I see both as 2 ends if that makes sense?

Yeah it makes sense.  Culturally, Summer 2008 was the last summer of pure '00s culture.  Scene culture was to then what hipster culture is today.  Despite the dark cloud of national and world events, I still had a great summer that year.  I think it was a better time though to still be in college or high school, not having to worry about the recession, oil prices, etc.

Written By: the2001 on 11/05/15 at 8:26 am

Yeah it makes sense.  Culturally, Summer 2008 was the last summer of pure '00s culture.  Scene culture was to then what hipster culture is today.  Despite the dark cloud of national and world events, I still had a great summer that year.  I think it was a better time though to still be in college or high school, not having to worry about the recession, oil prices, etc.

I compare it to a finale of a tv show, only to find out they got renewed for another season. 2006 was like the finale, and then it was like
WAIt.... we have another 2 years yeah ok now the finale then fall 2008 hits lol

Literally that is what happened lol like everything in the fall of 2006 pointed towards the end of that culture but just held on 2 more years.

Written By: Howard on 11/05/15 at 3:17 pm

yup, WWE was on the verge going out of business back then during the new generation era! WCW was kicking their asses. But now that they don't have any more competition, the product won't improve because WWE feels they can do whatever the hell they want.

and the content is so Chucky Cheese. ::)

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 11/05/15 at 5:28 pm

I compare it to a finale of a tv show, only to find out they got renewed for another season. 2006 was like the finale, and then it was like
WAIt.... we have another 2 years yeah ok now the finale then fall 2008 hits lol

Literally that is what happened lol like everything in the fall of 2006 pointed towards the end of that culture but just held on 2 more years.

Yeah,It felt like a finale of a LONG running series, except the network decided to air two more seasons of it, spice things up a bit and make MAJOR changes,and THEN it actually ended for good! lol

Written By: the2001 on 11/06/15 at 10:06 am

Yeah,It felt like a finale of a LONG running series, except the network decided to air two more seasons of it, spice things up a bit and make MAJOR changes,and THEN it actually ended for good! lol

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/06/15 at 12:25 pm

I had a good time. I saw Michael Jackson in person and got smacked down by one of this bodyguards. It was awesome.

Written By: Howard on 11/06/15 at 3:02 pm

I had a good time. I saw Michael Jackson in person and got smacked down by one of this bodyguards. It was awesome.

Was he in concert? ???

Written By: Shemp97 on 11/08/15 at 6:23 pm

2008 was the last year of the core 00s. After that, 2009 was a zombie hybrid and 2010 saw the last hurrah for 00s music.

In 2008, there was still that emo/punk vibe mixed with the mass hiphop reinvention that began in 2006 onward with songs like Kick push and Love lockdown dominating the charts. One big punk song that year was Operator.

Youtube and social media still had this old, almost retro 1.0 feel to it. If there's one thing that aged the fasted from the 00s, it's social media.

It was the last year of the 00s for more than 1 of my favourite movies coming out in a summer, Speed racer and Dark Knight were awesome. I even developed a liking to Mama Mia oddly enough. Spending days glued to pay-per-view on satellite does that lol.

All in all, my last truly favourite year. 2009 was OK, but you really felt things were drawing to a close and lifestyles were changing as a result of the financial crisis and the internet. The 2010s is a a perfect example of a decade that came on time.

Written By: the2001 on 11/09/15 at 2:21 pm

2008 was the last year of the core 00s. After that, 2009 was a zombie hybrid and 2010 saw the last hurrah for 00s music.

In 2008, there was still that emo/punk vibe mixed with the mass hiphop reinvention that began in 2006 onward with songs like Kick push and Love lockdown dominating the charts. One big punk song that year was Operator.

Youtube and social media still had this old, almost retro 1.0 feel to it. If there's one thing that aged the fasted from the 00s, it's social media.

It was the last year of the 00s for more than 1 of my favourite movies coming out in a summer, Speed racer and Dark Knight were awesome. I even developed a liking to Mama Mia oddly enough. Spending days glued to pay-per-view on satellite does that lol.

All in all, my last truly favourite year. 2009 was OK, but you really felt things were drawing to a close and lifestyles were changing as a result of the financial crisis and the internet. The 2010s is a a perfect example of a decade that came on time.

2008 did indeed have that punk vibe, it was still mainly 2000s culture just a lil more advanced

Written By: bchris02 on 11/09/15 at 3:34 pm

This is what I have said all along.  2008 was predominantly '00s with some '10s influences coming into prominence in the later months.  2009 was a hybrid mix of '00s culture on its way out and the incoming '10s culture.  In 2009 you could be a scene kid or a hipster and be in style either way.  The '10s did begin right on time.

Written By: mqg96 on 11/09/15 at 3:45 pm

This is what I have said all along.  2008 was predominantly '00s with some '10s influences coming into prominence in the later months.  2009 was a hybrid mix of '00s culture on its way out and the incoming '10s culture.  In 2009 you could be a scene kid or a hipster and be in style either way.  The '10s did begin right on time.

2008 was still predominantly late 2000's culture overall. But I wouldn't consider it as a core 2000's year though, at least here in the U.S. The last full year of the core 2000's was 2007. Late 2008 through all of 2009 while it's predominantly late 2000's culture, was definitely the start of 2010's culture coming in fast without a doubt. Really tons of stuff that started late 2008 that became the norm during that time are still relevant today and has spent the majority of its time in the 2010's decade.

Written By: the2001 on 11/19/15 at 2:46 pm

I would say by 2009  the amount of 2000s culture was like 35%

Written By: bchris02 on 11/19/15 at 6:15 pm

I would say by 2009  the amount of 2000s culture was like 35%

I disagree.  More people will see this as we get closer to 2020.  Right now, nostalgia for the early 2000s is picking up steam so people's perception of the '00s is heavily weighted towards the first half of the decade and the late '00s gets lumped in with the '10s.  That narrative isn't reality at all though.  The more I think about this, I would go as far as to say we weren't completely '10s until 2011.

Written By: the2001 on 11/19/15 at 6:50 pm

I disagree.  More people will see this as we get closer to 2020.  Right now, nostalgia for the early 2000s is picking up steam so people's perception of the '00s is heavily weighted towards the first half of the decade and the late '00s gets lumped in with the '10s.  That narrative isn't reality at all though.  The more I think about this, I would go as far as to say we weren't completely '10s until 2011.

most 2000s things were erased by 2009
-TRL,Bush,6th gen consoles , style of music,Aim,Circuit City,Sam goody, snap rap

Written By: #Infinity on 11/19/15 at 9:20 pm

2011 is too far.  Just because scene was still popular doesn't really indicate the shift took a few years into the calendar decade to occur.  The vast bulk of pop culture from the second half of 2009 onwards is just too different to be genuinely categorized with the 2000s, even the late 2000s.  Electropop, the Great Recession, Glee, Modern Family, the climax of the gay marriage movement, iPhones becoming a notable presence, Obama replacing Bush in the Oval Office, David Cameron overtaking Gordon Brown as the head of Parliament, and the death of MySpace, snap, 2000s materialism, and standard-definition tv all put the 2009/2010 school year firmly in the early 2010s category.  Freaking Usher was recording songs like DJ Got Us Fallin' in Love by 2010.  There were some 2000s influences lingering into the beginning of the 2010s, but they were pretty minute by that point.

Written By: the2001 on 11/23/15 at 1:23 pm

2011 is too far.  Just because scene was still popular doesn't really indicate the shift took a few years into the calendar decade to occur.  The vast bulk of pop culture from the second half of 2009 onwards is just too different to be genuinely categorized with the 2000s, even the late 2000s.  Electropop, the Great Recession, Glee, Modern Family, the climax of the gay marriage movement, iPhones becoming a notable presence, Obama replacing Bush in the Oval Office, David Cameron overtaking Gordon Brown as the head of Parliament, and the death of MySpace, snap, 2000s materialism, and standard-definition tv all put the 2009/2010 school year firmly in the early 2010s category.  Freaking Usher was recording songs like DJ Got Us Fallin' in Love by 2010.  There were some 2000s influences lingering into the beginning of the 2010s, but they were pretty minute by that point.

Check for new replies or respond here...