inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did Web 1.0 completely end?

Written By: Zelek on 11/08/15 at 8:44 pm

Even though 2004 was clearly when Web 1.0 began to decline, as dial-up became more popular the broadband, what would you say is the last year that had at least a slight Web 1.0 influence?

For what it's worth, I've heard a good amount of people say they still had dial-up up until 2007 or so.

Subject: Re: When did Web 1.0 completely end?

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/08/15 at 8:52 pm

I would say the era as a whole ended in 2004. In fact this wikipedia article further proves this claim:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Internet

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/10/15 at 8:34 pm

It ended around the mid 2000s.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/10/15 at 8:42 pm

Was it when Facebook started in 2004? That started the Web 2.0 pretty fast!  :(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/10/15 at 8:51 pm

Yeah, but Facebook wasn't really available to non-college students until late 2006. Especially when it wasn't that well known until the very late 2000s, I believe.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/10/15 at 8:55 pm

Yeah, but Facebook wasn't really available to non-college students until late 2006. Especially when it wasn't that well known until the very late 2000s, I believe.

Oh, that's why I didn't hear about it clearly until late 2006. I did hear about it here and there, during the whole of 2006, but it wasn't until late 2006, where it just exploded in fame.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/10/15 at 9:17 pm

Late '00s.  The mid '00s saw a massive transition between 2004 and 2006 in terms of the way people used the Internet.  This marked the shift from 1.0 to 2.0.  Web 1.0 was an information portal while 2.0 was a complete interactive experience.  By 2007, most people had broadband, social media was becoming commonplace, YouTube was popular, and Netflix began streaming.  Online gaming had replaced LAN parties and split screen multiplayer on consoles.  While during the Web 1.0 era, the Internet was a luxury and convenience, in the Web 2.0 era it became essential to how we live our lives.

Web 2.0 is much larger than Facebook or any one site, its the entire way we approach the Internet.  Its debatable whether or not we are still in the Web 2.0 era.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/10/15 at 9:22 pm

This pretty much sums it up.

http://image.slidesharecdn.com/paperid-140528094849-phpapp01/95/web-10-to-web-30-evolution-of-the-web-and-its-various-challenges-27-638.jpg?cb=1401270618

Written By: #Infinity on 11/11/15 at 12:57 am

I'd say 2006 was the last year with any remaining traces of Web 1.0.  By 2007, there was no escape from social media, YouTube, Wikipedia, and broadband Internet.  The Internet had fully transformed into the center of the universe by that point.  However, the transition was already underway by 2004, when MySpace became popular and broadband started to become much more common.

Written By: Howard on 11/11/15 at 3:30 pm

Facebook started in 2005.

Written By: Howard on 11/11/15 at 3:32 pm

By 2007, there was no escape from social media, YouTube, Wikipedia, and broadband Internet.

social media was everywhere.

Written By: Arrowstone on 11/11/15 at 4:11 pm

The Times New Roman still pops up when a site doesn't load well..

Written By: Shemp97 on 11/12/15 at 11:19 am

Late '00s.  The mid '00s saw a massive transition between 2004 and 2006 in terms of the way people used the Internet.  This marked the shift from 1.0 to 2.0.  Web 1.0 was an information portal while 2.0 was a complete interactive experience.  By 2007, most people had broadband, social media was becoming commonplace, YouTube was popular, and Netflix began streaming.  Online gaming had replaced LAN parties and split screen multiplayer on consoles.  While during the Web 1.0 era, the Internet was a luxury and convenience, in the Web 2.0 era it became essential to how we live our lives.

Web 2.0 is much larger than Facebook or any one site, its the entire way we approach the Internet.  Its debatable whether or not we are still in the Web 2.0 era.

This would mean 2.0 had the shortest lifespan as we are currently said to be in the age of 3.0.

This pretty much sums it up.

http://image.slidesharecdn.com/paperid-140528094849-phpapp01/95/web-10-to-web-30-evolution-of-the-web-and-its-various-challenges-27-638.jpg?cb=1401270618

This chart seems flawed. I read a PDF at school from 2000/01 saying 1999 had some 300+ million web users, 1996 wasn't too far off that. And PDAs from 1996 had no problems displaying images and CSS. Websites from the 90s aren't that difficult to come by on google. Forums and news articles are the easiest hits to find on any given search.

Written By: af2010 on 11/14/15 at 2:30 pm

I'd say 2002 was the last solidly Web 1.0 year. 2003-05 was a transition with social media and video streaming becoming more widespread. 2006 is solidly in the Web 2.0 era.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 11/14/15 at 4:16 pm

I agree. I notice alot of people these says saying that 2005 is the first full year of Web 2.0 (mostly, I think, due to that being the year that YouTube launched and Wikipedia really began to explode), but I also see it as more "transitional" between 1.0 and 2.0.

You have to remember that internet usuage was still split just about evenly between dial-up and broadband during all of 2005. In the small town I lived in, most people (including me) still used a dial-up connection at that time, and generally saw broadband access as a luxury. In fact, when one of my cousins got satellite internet for his computer in October 2005, he was actually the first person in my entire family to have any type of high-speed internet connection. And even though YouTube launched in late '05, I don't recall actually hearing of it until January of '06, and I really wasn't capable of watching streaming online video at a consistent rate until I finally got DSL in June of '06 anyway.

I definitely see 2006 as the big transitional year for the way we use the net. In 2005, going online was still not a big part of my life and, when I did, it was usually just for fifteen or twenty minutes to look up some quick piece of information or other. By 2007, I was probably spending upwards of five hours a day on the internet watching classic TV shows on YouTube and checking my MySpace account. Heck, even my mom was using social media by then.

Written By: Howard on 11/14/15 at 5:26 pm

And even though YouTube launched in late '05, I don't recall actually hearing of it until January of '06, and I really wasn't capable of watching streaming online video at a consistent rate until I finally got DSL in June of '06 anyway.

There's also a site called Dailymotion which started the very same year that YouTube started.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/14/15 at 6:15 pm

Must Web 1.0 be the wilderness years, then?  ???

Written By: bchris02 on 11/14/15 at 8:53 pm

I'd say 2002 was the last solidly Web 1.0 year. 2003-05 was a transition with social media and video streaming becoming more widespread. 2006 is solidly in the Web 2.0 era.

Move it up a couple years.  2004 was the last solidly Web 1.0 year.  2005-07 was a transition and then 2008 was full web 2.0.

Remember...MySpace didn't even launch until 2004.  As machine_head stated above, even in 2005 half the country still relied on a dial-up connection and broadband was still somewhat of a luxury.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/15/15 at 10:11 pm

2004ish. I think next year we will begin transitioning to web 3.0 which will be in full force by the time the 2020's arrive.

Written By: af2010 on 11/15/15 at 11:07 pm

Move it up a couple years.  2004 was the last solidly Web 1.0 year.  2005-07 was a transition and then 2008 was full web 2.0.

Remember...MySpace didn't even launch until 2004.  As machine_head stated above, even in 2005 half the country still relied on a dial-up connection and broadband was still somewhat of a luxury.

I can see 2006 being somewhat transitional, but not 2007. Myspace was huge in 2007 and Facebook was rapidly growing in popularity. Youtube, while not the corporate giant it is now, was well established by that point. I guess it just depends on how you define Web 2.0.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/15/15 at 11:19 pm

I can see 2006 being somewhat transitional, but not 2007. Myspace was huge in 2007 and Facebook was rapidly growing in popularity. Youtube, while not the corporate giant it is now, was well established by that point. I guess it just depends on how you define Web 2.0.

I don't think there is any controversy in terms of how Web 2.0 is defined.  The question is, when was Web 2.0 technology adopted by the masses and what sites signaled the beginning of Web 2.0.  I would say YouTube, Facebook, and Flickr were definitely Web 2.0.  Xanga and MySpace I am a bit unsure.  P2P file sharing, the most popular way of sharing media in the mid 00s was definitely Web 1.0.

I can see 2006 being a Web 2.0 year, especially the second half of it, but it was still transitional.  I should have listed 2007 as the first fully Web 2.0 year with 2004-06 being the transition.

Do you consider MySpace to be fully Web 2.0?

Written By: Slim95 on 11/15/15 at 11:29 pm

Anything that had social media I consider web 2.0 so that's why I think 2004 was the first year as MySpace got popular that year.

Written By: af2010 on 11/15/15 at 11:53 pm

If Facebook is Web 2.0 then I don't see why Myspace wouldn't be.

Written By: #Infinity on 11/16/15 at 5:12 am

I don't think there is any controversy in terms of how Web 2.0 is defined.  The question is, when was Web 2.0 technology adopted by the masses and what sites signaled the beginning of Web 2.0.  I would say YouTube, Facebook, and Flickr were definitely Web 2.0.  Xanga and MySpace I am a bit unsure.  P2P file sharing, the most popular way of sharing media in the mid 00s was definitely Web 1.0.

I really still don't understand what would constitute Web 3.0 and if there are really any traces of it yet.  In my personal opinion, we're very much still in the core 2.0 era, with online technology having been refined but hardly changed at all since 2007.  Web 3.0 would be like a fusion of the World Wide Web and virtual reality, in that it would be a sort of primitive virtual world rather than just a network of flat text, photo, and video pages.  So far, we have nothing like that, even though it's clearly been possible to construct a virtual reality-based Internet for at least a decade based on the widespread prevalence of MMORPG's.

I can see 2006 being a Web 2.0 year, especially the second half of it, but it was still transitional.  I should have listed 2007 as the first fully Web 2.0 year with 2004-06 being the transition.

Yeah, 2006 was mostly Web 2.0, but 2007 was the first time I felt the modern Internet age had fully established itself, the 90s now easily falling under the retro category rather than just a few years dated.

MySpace is like primitive Web 2.0 in the same way Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was strictly early millennial culture, with chronological overlap with some but not many Gen-X children's franchises.  Fundamentally, it's hardly different at all from Facebook, but the latter service was just much more user-friendly.  MySpace was too cutting edge back when it came out to really count as Web 1.0, even though its popularity was short-lived.

Written By: yelimsexa on 11/16/15 at 6:56 am

Technically, Web 1.0 still survives today, albeit in a much reduced form just like CDs. There are plenty of BBS groups still active, though of course the activity there is much quieter compared to the '90s/early '00s. As sites like Fortune City and Angelfire still let you create Web 1.0-style pages. Craigslist is a very old-school site for today's standards, which could easily pass for 1995 with no Facebook/Twitter buttons found, no audio/video features, the Times New Roman/Arial fonts and a blue/gray/white color scheme. Even most late '90s/early '00s webpages looked more interactive than Craigslist.

I noticed the shift in 2006 when I felt that the majority of webpages were a lot more sleek/flashy. To me, Web 2.0 is multimedia-based while 1.0 is linear with an offline presence still necessary to comply.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/16/15 at 10:54 am

I really still don't understand what would constitute Web 3.0 and if there are really any traces of it yet.  In my personal opinion, we're very much still in the core 2.0 era, with online technology having been refined but hardly changed at all since 2007.  Web 3.0 would be like a fusion of the World Wide Web and virtual reality, in that it would be a sort of primitive virtual world rather than just a network of flat text, photo, and video pages.  So far, we have nothing like that, even though it's clearly been possible to construct a virtual reality-based Internet for at least a decade based on the widespread prevalence of MMORPG's.

We actually do have something like that already and it is available to the public if they buy it. I played with it in virtual reality a lot already too. Oculus has an app where in the virtual world it's a city with stores and each store is a website like YouTube and Facebook etc. It's obviously not polished yet though. But I think that will be what web 3.0 looks like along with AR like with hololens.

Check for new replies or respond here...