inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite Cartoon Cartoons?

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/08/15 at 8:55 pm

For me it would be:

1. Dexter's Lab

2. Ed, Edd, & Eddy

3. Powerpuff Girls

Subject: Re: Favorite Cartoon Cartoons?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 11/08/15 at 9:06 pm

They are Ed Edd n Eddy, PPG, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Johnny Bravo and Dexter's Laboratory.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 11/08/15 at 9:11 pm

Ed Edd n Eddy is AUTOMATICALLY my fav
Then Dexter's Lab, PPG, Courage the Cowardly Dog, KND, and Billy & Mandy

Honorable mentions: Johnny Bravo, Cow and Chicken, Whatever happened to Robot Jones,Time Squad

Written By: #Infinity on 11/08/15 at 9:59 pm

1. Codename:  Kids Next Door - Easily my favorite Cartoon Cartoon, and one which I find really under-appreciated (though I'm glad it at least got to run for a full six seasons).  All five Sector V operatives are likably distinct and work off each other perfectly, the animation style and character designs give a fresh spin to the vintage tiny-limb/large hands-feet-heads style, the show's sense of humor is passionate and original, and, most importantly, a ton of thought and care is given to the show's universe, especially after Season 1.  I think a lot of people found this show strange, but I thought it was an absolutely brilliant setup; it's basically a satire of how kids perceive reality, but done in a lovingly exciting and epic fashion.

2. Courage the Cowardly Dog - A comedy-horror that really thrived off of its visual style, which can be just as over-the-top as Ren & Stimpy, but also as surreal and ominous as your typical Tim Burton movie.  A lot of people were scared of this program growing up, but I was more fascinated, plus amused.  Unlike The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, which is really straight-up comedy inspired by Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey, this show had a solid balance of both creepy visuals and tons of laughs.  I was really disappointed to see this show last only four seasons before going kaput.

3. The Powerpuff Girls - One of the most subliminally progressive cartoons of its time (featuring super heroines with a single father and a stupid, corrupt mayor who gets all his ideas from his female assistant), but also one of the freshest and well-balanced.  It features a main villain who I just love to hate (though he may or may not be a reinforcement of World War II-era Japanese stereotypes), a diverse ensemble of side-characters, and a main trio of sisters who seem like genuine family, especially as far as their relationship to their father goes.  They may be polar opposites of each other who constant argue, but at the same time, you can definitely feel the tight bond they share in spite of their respective flaws.  I get more of a positive message from this show than I do from Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, which emphasizes the troublemaking aspect a little too much without investing enough in the friendships and likable traits of its major characters.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 11/08/15 at 11:04 pm

Ed Edd n Eddy is AUTOMATICALLY my fav
Then Dexter's Lab, PPG, Courage the Cowardly Dog, KND, and Billy & Mandy

Honorable mentions: Johnny Bravo, Cow and Chicken, Whatever happened to Robot Jones,Time Squad

1. Codename:  Kids Next Door - Easily my favorite Cartoon Cartoon, and one which I find really under-appreciated (though I'm glad it at least got to run for a full six seasons).  All five Sector V operatives are likably distinct and work off each other perfectly, the animation style and character designs give a fresh spin to the vintage tiny-limb/large hands-feet-heads style, the show's sense of humor is passionate and original, and, most importantly, a ton of thought and care is given to the show's universe, especially after Season 1.  I think a lot of people found this show strange, but I thought it was an absolutely brilliant setup; it's basically a satire of how kids perceive reality, but done in a lovingly exciting and epic fashion.

2. Courage the Cowardly Dog - A comedy-horror that really thrived off of its visual style, which can be just as over-the-top as Ren & Stimpy, but also as surreal and ominous as your typical Tim Burton movie.  A lot of people were scared of this program growing up, but I was more fascinated, plus amused.  Unlike The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, which is really straight-up comedy inspired by Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey, this show had a solid balance of both creepy visuals and tons of laughs.  I was really disappointed to see this show last only four seasons before going kaput.

3. The Powerpuff Girls - One of the most subliminally progressive cartoons of its time (featuring super heroines with a single father and a stupid, corrupt mayor who gets all his ideas from his female assistant), but also one of the freshest and well-balanced.  It features a main villain who I just love to hate (though he may or may not be a reinforcement of World War II-era Japanese stereotypes), a diverse ensemble of side-characters, and a main trio of sisters who seem like genuine family, especially as far as their relationship to their father goes.  They may be polar opposites of each other who constant argue, but at the same time, you can definitely feel the tight bond they share in spite of their respective flaws.  I get more of a positive message from this show than I do from Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, which emphasizes the troublemaking aspect a little too much without investing enough in the friendships and likable traits of its major characters.

I guess I forgot that Billy and Mandy and KND were Cartoon Cartoons, but these were my favorite as well along with the others.

Oh hey you guys, I'm not sure if many people can remember these two cartoons, but can you all recall Mike, Lu & Og and Sheep in the Big City?

Written By: mqg96 on 11/09/15 at 12:19 am

1. Ed, Edd n Eddy

2. Dexter's Laboratory

3. The Powerpuff Girls

Those are my top 3 Cartoon Cartoons, since that's included in 3 of my top 5 best Cartoon Network shows, however, honorable mentions would be Courage the Cowardly Dog, Johnny Bravo, and Codename: KND. My least favorite Cartoon Cartoon would probably be What Ever Happened to Robot Jones.

Written By: #Infinity on 11/09/15 at 12:29 am

What made Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy and Codename: KND different than other Cartoon Cartoons like Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo, Powerpuff Girls, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Cow & Chicken, etc. is that a lot of its episodes and seasons played its major role in the City Era (post-2004 age) and didn't premiere or gain its popularity until the last year of the Powerhouse Era (golden age). Most of the original Cartoon Cartoons had almost all of its episodes and seasons throughout the entire Powerhouse Era and that's why it's more well known for being Cartoon Cartoons. Ed, Edd n Eddy on the other hand, is completely on the cusp.

Along with (debatably) Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, they're still usually both considered the last truly classic shows on Cartoon Network before it took a nosedive in quality, and were the channel's only saving graces until the turn of 2008, when they ended with a crossover episode, as well as a movie epilogue in KND's case.

Written By: mqg96 on 11/09/15 at 5:49 am

Along with (debatably) Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, they're still usually both considered the last truly classic shows on Cartoon Network before it took a nosedive in quality, and were the channel's only saving graces until the turn of 2008, when they ended with a crossover episode, as well as a movie epilogue in KND's case.

That's right, while Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends was the first major CN original show in the history of the network that was not apart of the Cartoon Cartoons, it's still considered as the last show created by CN that's loved by the majority of classic Cartoon Network fans, including myself, and I loved it! Shortly after Foster's Home premiered, Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi would come out, which was the turning point in quality, and I had no interest in the show along with the majority of the other shows that would premiere throughout 2005 and onwards, but I know some people who liked it. Same could be said for Life in Times of Juniper Lee, Camp Lazlo (although it was decent IMO but not my favorite), My Gym Partner's A Monkey, etc. Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends and Ben 10 were the only shows created by Cartoon Network after mid 2004 that I truly enjoyed with a passion. So yeah, about the saving grace part, you're right on! Foster's Home, Billy & Mandy, Codename: KND, and Ed, Edd n Eddy were the 4 saving graces of the post-2004 Cartoon Network era!

Written By: mqg96 on 11/09/15 at 7:30 am

I guess I forgot that Billy and Mandy and KND were Cartoon Cartoons, but these were my favorite as well along with the others.

Oh hey you guys, I'm not sure if many people can remember these two cartoons, but can you all recall Mike, Lu & Og and Sheep in the Big City?

What made Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy and Codename: KND different than other Cartoon Cartoons like Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo, Powerpuff Girls, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Cow & Chicken, etc. is that a lot of its episodes and seasons played its major role in the City Era (post-2004 age) and didn't premiere or gain its popularity until the last year of the Powerhouse Era (golden age). Most of the original Cartoon Cartoons had almost all of its episodes and seasons throughout the entire Powerhouse Era and that's why it's more well known for being Cartoon Cartoons. Ed, Edd n Eddy on the other hand, is completely on the cusp.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/10/15 at 8:37 pm

Since I actually did watch some Cartoon Cartoons back in the mid-late 2000s, I'll be happy to contribute here.

3. Powerpuff Girls

2. Dexter's Laboratory

1. Billy and Mandy

Written By: violet_shy on 11/15/15 at 4:48 pm

Johnny Bravo

Written By: annimal on 11/15/15 at 5:50 pm

I know I loved Johnny Bravo and Dexter's Laboratory.  I'm evil so red guys are cool too

Written By: Howard on 11/16/15 at 2:42 pm

Johnny Bravo

I watched Johnny Bravo once in a while.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/16/15 at 3:05 pm

All of the classics ;)

5U9uOWRaN34 4mmCMUPCNgE

6Q55iOY_olM Exe0IEB3hKs

G2VnQ4d0QPs F8EB0dBLYa0

M1Yt3EQfsNQ gmz1diDfWMY

Ok8F4Zrswgk 3uKHOkg7r00

W6govPlYwVQ e51hgWIsY4M

DfO2ij0WCSo N8v45ceVnzw

sOUKLC0Z-Uc heNOs49mzLc

They all bring back great memories  :\'(

Written By: Zelek on 11/16/15 at 3:19 pm

I know that YouTube comments are usually trolling and/or clinically insane, but do you agree/disagree with these arguments?
https://data.desustorage.org/4ch/co/image/1445/99/1445995994879.png

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/16/15 at 3:22 pm

I know that YouTube comments are usually trolling and/or clinically insane, but do you agree/disagree with these arguments?

No

Moving on.......

Written By: mqg96 on 11/16/15 at 3:57 pm

This post was unnecessary..... not a good idea.

Anyways, everybody has their own opinion on when their favorite channels started falling apart, but the guy who posted his opinion is wrong on that one if he's talking about me! People need to realize that kids don't wait until they're 10 or 11 years old to start watching cartoons, that's when you start getting too old for them unless you're a passionate cartoon fan or trying to pursue a career in animation one day. Kids start watching their favorite cartoons around Kindergarten or 1st grade when they're 5 or 6 years old on average.

Written By: mqg96 on 11/16/15 at 4:04 pm

e51hgWIsY4M

Am I the only one who realizes that Samurai Jack was not a "Cartoon Cartoon"? It's because when it comes to Samurai Jack despite being a CN original series, it still premiered many episodes on CCF along with the main Cartoon Cartoons, which is why it confuses people. Heck I remember What's New Scooby-Doo being on CCF for a little bit in 2003 but that didn't mean it was apart of the "Cartoon Cartoons" lol.

Written By: mqg96 on 11/16/15 at 4:10 pm

F8EB0dBLYa0

Out of all the main Cartoon Cartoons I remember seeing on Cartoon Network regularly, like Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo, Powerpuff Girls, Ed Edd n Eddy, Codename: KND, Courage the Cowardly Dog, etc. It seemed like Cow & Chicken was the least shown one of all. I remember some episodes of Cow & Chicken, but I don't remember it being played as much as other popular Cartoon Cartoons like Dexter's Lab, PPG, or Courage you know what I mean.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/16/15 at 4:25 pm

Out of all the main Cartoon Cartoons I remember seeing on Cartoon Network regularly, like Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo, Powerpuff Girls, Ed Edd n Eddy, Codename: KND, Courage the Cowardly Dog, etc. It seemed like Cow & Chicken was the least shown one of all. I remember some episodes of Cow & Chicken, but I don't remember it being played as much as other popular Cartoon Cartoons like Dexter's Lab, PPG, or Courage you know what I mean.

Yeah I agree. It was a pretty bizarre show though lol

Written By: mxcrashxm on 11/16/15 at 5:25 pm

Am I the only one who realizes that Samurai Jack was not a "Cartoon Cartoon"? It's because when it comes to Samurai Jack despite being a CN original series, it still premiered many episodes on CCF along with the main Cartoon Cartoons, which is why it confuses people. Heck I remember What's New Scooby-Doo being on CCF for a little bit in 2003 but that didn't mean it was apart of the "Cartoon Cartoons" lol.

No. I knew it wasn't one either especially that it was more a mature show and that wasn't on CCF as much as the others.

That's because C&C aired its episodes during the late 90s and was over by 1999. After that, it was shown as reruns for a few more years. Then after 2000/01, I didn't see C&C on CN much often.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/16/15 at 5:31 pm

They are Ed Edd n Eddy, PPG, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Johnny Bravo and Dexter's Laboratory.

https://media0.giphy.com/media/oxLpLI0eNf3Wg/200.gif

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/18/15 at 6:13 am

https://media0.giphy.com/media/oxLpLI0eNf3Wg/200.gif

Yeah those 5 are definitely the best of the best from the Powerhouse Era

Written By: mqg96 on 11/18/15 at 11:20 am

Yeah those 5 are definitely the best of the best from the Powerhouse Era

This video explains it all!

rkdVGV5uh5w

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/27/16 at 4:44 pm

Whatever Happened to Robot Jones http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/images/smilies/hide.gif
Time Squad
Sheep in the Big City
The Cartoon Cartoon Show that had wonderful shorts on it, like Larry and Steve (the prototype of Family Guy)

Too bad CN discontinued the "Cartoon Cartoons" name. It was funny and catchy-sounding, better than "CN Original Shows" which I feel sounds bland.

You better stay hidden under that chair. We don't take kindly to people who like Robot Jones.  >:(

I like Grim Adventures, Ed Edd n Eddy, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Dexter, and Time Squad. And Samurai Jack if that's considered one.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/27/16 at 4:50 pm

Whatever Happened to Robot Jones http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/images/smilies/hide.gif
Time Squad
Sheep in the Big City
The Cartoon Cartoon Show that had wonderful shorts on it, like Larry and Steve (the prototype of Family Guy)

Too bad CN discontinued the "Cartoon Cartoons" name. It was funny and catchy-sounding, better than "CN Original Shows" which I feel sounds bland.

If Cartoon Network actually used Cartoon Cartoons for all of their animated shows, then that would be really great. It would be way better than what most 2010s shows had. No offense for those who like Cartoon Network nowadays.

Written By: Zelek3 on 07/27/16 at 4:59 pm

You better stay hidden under that chair. We don't take kindly to people who like Robot Jones.  >:(

I think it was a rather underrated show.

Well, if you're counting the "second season" where they ditched the MacTalk voice and had an annoying kid actually voice him, then yeah, that was bad. :P But the first season was good in my opinion.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/27/16 at 5:01 pm

I think it was a rather underrated show.

Well, if you're counting the "second season" where they ditched the MacTalk voice and had an annoying kid actually voice him, then yeah, that was bad. :P But the first season was good in my opinion.

No wonder why people don't give a crap about "Whatever Happened to Robot Jones?". It just seemed like it was highly forgettable after the first season.

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/27/16 at 5:19 pm

Robot Jones wasn't too bad of a show. I thought it was alright for what it was. Also wouldn't mind for CN to release series on DVD or something. But I usually prefer other Cartoon Cartoons.

Written By: annimal on 07/27/16 at 7:29 pm

cow and chicken yeah  cow and chicken yeah  cow and chicken yeah

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/27/16 at 7:53 pm

Yo, mqg96. I agree. Samurai Jack doesn't feel Cartoon Cartoons. Its more just Cartoon Network and Toonami.

Written By: annimal on 07/28/16 at 6:58 pm

never watched  Samurai Jack and don't think I'd want to.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/30/16 at 12:58 am

Ed Edd n Eddy, Dexter's Lab, KND, Billy and Mandy, Johnny Bravo,
Honorable mentions: PPG, Courage, Cow and Chicken, Samurai Jack

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 08/17/16 at 3:08 am

1. Sheep In The Big City
2. Johnny Bravo

Written By: annimal on 08/17/16 at 10:36 am

I forgot the name of the show but it had whistling in it  ? ? ? ? ? ?    ?

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 05/10/17 at 7:52 pm

Unfortunately, I never watched Cartoon Network as a kid.

Written By: annimal on 05/11/17 at 11:43 am

ah nuts      huh?

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/11/17 at 2:48 pm

Some of my more modern favorite Cartoon Cartoons:
Chowder
Flapjack
Secret Saturdays

Before you crucify me for calling post-2003 CN shows "Cartoon Cartoons", hear me out. I'm starting to come to the conclusion that CN's post-2003 originals are indeed Cartoon Cartoons, but they're just not called Cartoon Cartoons very often.

Here's my argument. For one, when The Cartoon Cartoon Show aired from 2005 to 2008, shows like Foster's, Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi, Lazlo, Gym Partner, and Squirrel Boy all aired on there in addition to the classic ones like Robot Jones, PPG, and Dexter. On top of that, all Cartoon Network originals produced after '03 have the Cartoon Network classic logo on a black screen with light-blue sound waves coming out of it with the Cartoon Cartoon jingle playing in the background. Plus, in the Nood bumpers, all CN originals (except Courage) had a remixed version of the Cartoon Cartoon jingle at the end.

So honestly, I'm starting to think CN never really got rid of the Cartoon Cartoon name per se, they just don't need it in the absolute forefront anymore.

By that definition even today's cartoons would be considered 'cartoon cartoons' which is entirely inaccurate. 'Cartoon cartoons' were a distinct brand of cartoons made and produced on the network from 1996-2003. Hence why you had blocks like Cartoon Cartoons Fridays to promote new episodes of these shows. Even then, not all cartoons produced in the late 90's/early 00's were under this banner. One notable example was Samurai Jack, which aired during the era of 'Cartoon Cartoons' but wasn't technically apart of that brand. See where I'm coming from?

Written By: annimal on 05/11/17 at 5:05 pm

no,  I think my brain fell apart once again

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/12/17 at 4:25 pm

By that definition even today's cartoons would be considered 'cartoon cartoons' which is entirely inaccurate.

But is it? As I've suggested before, I think CN's post-2003 shows really are still Cartoon Cartoons, even if they're not called Cartoon Cartoons all too often anymore (I don't care what Wikipedia says on this matter, Wikipedia is not always accurate). It's like how Nick seldom refers to their cartoons as "Nicktoons" anymore, even though they're still technically Nicktoons.

Remember The Cartoon Cartoon Show from the CN City era?

YqGt4xTbz3op

Well, shows like Foster's, Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi, Camp Lazlo, Gym Partner, and Squirrel Boy all aired on there in addition to the classic ones like Robot Jones, PPG, and Dexter. I think CN was trying to subtly imply there that their post-2003 originals are indeed Cartoon Cartoons. Even if you hate them.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 05/13/17 at 5:18 am

Unfortunately, I never watched Cartoon Network as a kid.

I only ever watched Cartoon Network on the rare occasion. The only kids channels that I ever watched on a regular basis were Nickelodeon and Boomerang. ;)

Written By: mqg96 on 05/14/17 at 4:58 pm

By that definition even today's cartoons would be considered 'cartoon cartoons' which is entirely inaccurate. 'Cartoon cartoons' were a distinct brand of cartoons made and produced on the network from 1996-2003. Hence why you had blocks like Cartoon Cartoons Fridays to promote new episodes of these shows. Even then, not all cartoons produced in the late 90's/early 00's were under this banner. One notable example was Samurai Jack, which aired during the era of 'Cartoon Cartoons' but wasn't technically apart of that brand. See where I'm coming from?

and almost all Cartoon Cartoons started off as pilots on the What A Cartoon Show (shorts premiered on World Premiere Toons) or the Cartoon Cartoon Show (shorts premiered on CCF) which were voted by the kids to become TV series. All Cartoon Cartoons' first few seasons or pilots were cel animated by Hanna-Barbera, before its later seasons became digital, or some like Codename: KND or Billy & Mandy were digital from season 1 but its pilots were still Hanna Barbera. Ed, Edd n Eddy is the only exception since it was Canadian-American, but notice how NONE of this applies to Cartoon Network originals starting with Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends and onwards. Notice how the animation and styles become completely different by 2004 as well. None of this even applies to Samurai Jack either.

Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo, Cow & Chicken, The Powerpuff Girls, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, and Codename: KND were all picked up because the kids at the time voted for those to win when those went against other pilots. Ed, Edd n Eddy was automatically picked up because the network probably knew how big of a hit it was going to be. Shows like Foster's Home, Ben 10, or Camp Lazlo were picked up by the network without kids deciding, so those don't belong with the Cartoon Cartoons, and there's so many other factors that don't make those Cartoon Cartoons either like not starting with Hanna-Barbera or having the similar animation style.

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/16/17 at 4:24 pm

Interesting ideas, but until someone from CN themselves reveals why the Cartoon Cartoons brand disappeared, this is all speculation.

I'm friends with Jim Samples on Facebook(all CN's presidents have Facebook accounts) and he's kindly answered some behind the scenes questions I've asked. Maybe he knows the answer to this one.

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/20/17 at 5:52 pm

Alright, it looks like Marquis was on the money. This is what Mr. Samples had to say.

http://i.imgur.com/qCiTJwa.png

Written By: annimal on 05/20/17 at 7:30 pm

^ I ought to give you some chemical X

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/20/17 at 7:31 pm

Are you threatening me.

Written By: annimal on 05/20/17 at 7:34 pm

Don't you think it might taste good?

Check for new replies or respond here...