inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The mid 2000s were a Mini Golden Age

Written By: the2001 on 11/10/15 at 5:20 pm

Just far removed enough from 9/11 and just before hitting the economic recession  is where this era lies. Everything about this era screams golden age, Videos games were good back then, TV was good, HELL even youtube and myspace were innovative (anyone remember the first days of youtube?) Technology was at the right balance.

Right now we are not in a balance for technology  (no one goes outside anymore), During the mid 2000s we were in this safe MINI dream bubble.  2004-2006 was like this mini period of peace where the world was safe for a short while with no worry's.

Subject: Re: The mid 2000s were a Mini Golden Age

Written By: bchris02 on 11/10/15 at 5:36 pm

Just far removed enough from 9/11 and just before hitting the economic recession  is where this era lies. Everything about this era screams golden age, Videos games were good back then, TV was good, HELL even youtube and myspace were innovative (anyone remember the first days of youtube?) Technology was at the right balance.

Right now we are not in a balance for technology  (no one goes outside anymore), During the mid 2000s we were in this safe MINI dream bubble.  2004-2006 was like this mini period of peace where the world was safe for a short while with no worry's.

Unless you were fighting in Iraq or living in New Orleans.  It was a great time though to be in the real estate market.  People were flipping houses like crazy and making a ton of money.  It was a great time to be a teenager or in college.

The mid 2000s were so-so in my own personal life.  I enjoyed the late 2000s better, but the Mid 00s had their perks.  It was the last hurrah for my adolescence.  Video gaming, especially PC games were at their peak.  Great TV as you say.  There were also a lot of awesome movies during that era and I also see it somewhat of a golden age for horror films.  I got broadband for the first time in 2005 and that completely changed my life.  It wasn't all-encompassing though as I rarely used social media.  I had a MySpace account but hardly ever updated it.  I also had Facebook, which I used more than MySpace but didn't really start using it a lot until the late 2000s.  The music was kind of in a low spot between the much better early '00s and late '00s.  A lot of fashion changes occurred around that time for guys including longer hair, skinnier jeans, and tighter fitting shirts with shorter sleeves.

Written By: #Infinity on 11/10/15 at 5:42 pm

2004 was a pretty good year for popular culture, especially in terms of movies, but 2005 and the first half of 2006 were pretty lackluster.

Written By: the2001 on 11/10/15 at 5:43 pm

Unless you were fighting in Iraq or living in New Orleans.  It was a great time though to be in the real estate market.  People were flipping houses like crazy and making a ton of money.  It was a great time to be a teenager or in college.

The mid 2000s were so-so in my own personal life.  I enjoyed the late 2000s better, but the Mid 00s had their perks.  It was the last hurrah for my adolescence.  Video gaming, especially PC games were at their peak.  Great TV as you say.  There were also a lot of awesome movies during that era and I also see it somewhat of a golden age for horror films.  I got broadband for the first time in 2005 and that completely changed my life.  It wasn't all-encompassing though as I rarely used social media.  I had a MySpace account but hardly ever updated it.  I also had Facebook, which I used more than MySpace but didn't really start using it a lot until the late 2000s.  The music was kind of in a low spot between the much better early '00s and late '00s.  A lot of fashion changes occurred around that time for guys including longer hair, skinnier jeans, and tighter fitting shirts with shorter sleeves.

2005 is also when I got broadband, I got it for free because at the time in 2005 no one had passwords on their wifi, legit I stole my neighbors wifi for 4 years  lMAO. Myspace was in its prime and wikipedia had just come out. HORROR movies like The Grudge and Saw were king at this time. And I agree with you music wasnt as flamboyant as the early 2000s and was as extreme as late 2000s it was in the middle  (but in a good way)  Mean  Girls really paints the vibe of that era, if you rewatch it like when they are in the mall and etc you will see what I mean.

The whole DREAMY pink vibe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K4L9K8oUZ8

Written By: the2001 on 11/10/15 at 5:46 pm

2004 was a pretty good year for popular culture, especially in terms of movies, but 2005 and the first half of 2006 were pretty lackluster.

2005 was not bad at all lmao how was it bad

Written By: bchris02 on 11/10/15 at 5:49 pm

2005 is also when I got broadband, I got it for free because at the time in 2005 no one had passwords on their wifi, legit I stole my neighbors wifi for 4 years  lMAO. Myspace was in its prime and wikipedia had just come out. HORROR movies like The Grudge and Saw were king at this time. And I agree with you music wasnt as flamboyant as the early 2000s and was as extreme as late 2000s it was in the middle  (but in a good way)  Mean  Girls really paints the vibe of that era, if you rewatch it like when they are in the mall and etc you will see what I mean.

The whole DREAMY pink vibe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K4L9K8oUZ8

I really liked that horror movies in the mid '00s were a lot more drama based and less found footage and cheap jump based than they are today.  They weren't as scary but they were more enjoyable.  I used to be a huge horror movie fanatic but I am liking them less these days.

I spent a lot of time at the mall during that era.  I really was the last era where going to the mall was a social experience and the last era where malls had a large variety of stores (music stores, movie stores, electronic stores like Sharper Image, Borders/Waldenbooks) in addition to clothing.

Written By: mqg96 on 11/10/15 at 6:57 pm

When it comes to 2005 it depends on your viewpoint. I was 9 years old at the time so don't expect my opinion to get too pretty here. I thought 2005 was a decent year for movies. Sharkboy & Lavagirl, Fantastic Four (I know many people hated it but I loved it at the time), Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, & the Wardrobe, Batman Begins, Madagascar, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, and Charlie & the Chocolate Factory (remake) immediately comes to mind.

For me, 2005 was the last full year all my favorite kid channels were at its high points. Cartoon Network had a really good year despite it being the first full year it was no longer in its golden age, I really loved the Summer 2005 event. Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, and Codename: KND were at its peaks while Ed, Edd n Eddy, Duck Dodgers, and What's New Scooby-Doo continued to have new episodes as well. While reruns of old Cartoon Cartoons weren't played as much those were still there during late night hours or early mornings. That Toonami lineup on Saturday nights with Teen Titans, Justice League Unlimited, Naruto, iGPX, and Dragon Ball Z (Uncut) was real epic. 2005 was also the last year Kids WB had a good lineup IMO. Disney Channel had a pretty good year because American Dragon Jake Long premiered, Suite Life of Zack & Cody premiered, movies like The Proud Family Movie and Kim Possible So Not the Drama were really good, and That's So Raven continued to have great episodes. Nickelodeon had a good year as well, because U-Pick Live was still around for a little, the Kids Choice Awards were still fly, Drake & Josh was still pretty young and Avatar: TLA premiered. American Idol and The Amazing Race were at its peaks and I loved watching it with my family during that Tuesday or Wednesday night after school.

6th generation gaming was still alive and well, I remember playing Super Smash Bros Melee and Mario Kart Double Dash with my friend back in 3rd grade and then it was the first full year I had an XBOX, which had some of my favorite games known as Crash Wrath of Cortex and GTA III. I almost forgot that Star Fox Assault came out in 2005 as well. Mario Kart DS came out, and I remember going to EB Games at the mall playing the demo version being excited for it, even though I didn't get it until 2006, which was the first Mario Kart game that featured wifi and retro courses on there, which was a huge upgrade.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/10/15 at 8:34 pm

They were really like a mini golden age over stuff. Even though Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network had to deal with changes at the time, but I'm too young to remember them during the early 2000s (except for Nick Jr). I was a really happy kid during the mid 2000s. Everything seemed really cool to me, and that it was like exciting with new shows that I really love so much. Especially when I didn't heard of YouTube until the summer of 2007, I had to go search up logos by using On Demand services on Time Warner Cable. Those were amazing.

Written By: #Infinity on 11/11/15 at 1:12 am

It had far fewer excellent movies than 2004, wasn't quite as strong a year in gaming, marked the point when Cartoon Network first went sharply downhill, and was when 2000s music started to really suck, particularly midway through.  Crunk music from 2004 and early 2005 like Usher's Yeah! and Petey Pablo's Freek-a-Leek had a certain appeal to them, but then in late 2005 hip hop music started to become appallingly childish and nonmusical, resulting in a far larger concentration of outright horrible chart hits than any other period.  When garbage like Grillz, Laffy Taffy, I Think They Like Me, and Grind with Me started climbing to the top of the charts, I had lost so much faith in the music industry that I officially stopped following popular music until its rejuvenation in 2009.  Even rock was having a bit of an off-year then.  Frankly 2005/2006 was the absolute worst school year for popular music in history, even worse than any of the mid-2010s school years so far.  Considering my avatar, you'd think I would be a far bigger fan of 2005/early 2006 in music, but honestly, The Emancipation of Mimi is actually a pretty inconsistent album aside from the singles and neo-soul tracks and is nowhere near as good as Mariah Carey's 90s output or even most of her other 2000s albums.

Written By: the2001 on 11/11/15 at 10:10 am

It had far fewer excellent movies than 2004, wasn't quite as strong a year in gaming, marked the point when Cartoon Network first went sharply downhill, and was when 2000s music started to really suck, particularly midway through.  Crunk music from 2004 and early 2005 like Usher's Yeah! and Petey Pablo's Freek-a-Leek had a certain appeal to them, but then in late 2005 hip hop music started to become appallingly childish and nonmusical, resulting in a far larger concentration of outright horrible chart hits than any other period.  When garbage like Grillz, Laffy Taffy, I Think They Like Me, and Grind with Me started climbing to the top of the charts, I had lost so much faith in the music industry that I officially stopped following popular music until its rejuvenation in 2009.  Even rock was having a bit of an off-year then.  Frankly 2005/2006 was the absolute worst school year for popular music in history, even worse than any of the mid-2010s school years so far.  Considering my avatar, you'd think I would be a far bigger fan of 2005/early 2006 in music, but honestly, The Emancipation of Mimi is actually a pretty inconsistent album aside from the singles and neo-soul tracks and is nowhere near as good as Mariah Carey's 90s output or even most of her other 2000s albums.

rap during this time sucked minus Kanye and Lupe, but POP was still amazing tho, depends on what age you were then tho

Written By: bchris02 on 11/11/15 at 10:50 am

I agree, though 2005 did have a few good rap songs during the first half of the year.  For the most part though, music was in a low spot from late 2004 through mid 2006 before getting better again in late 2006.  Pop during that era was mostly female artists like Kelly Clarkson and Avril Lavigne and wasn't very memorable.  Rock was split between post-grunge and pop-emo.  I mostly listened to electronica (pre-EDM) during that era.  It was a great time for the genre.

I was in college during those years and my sister was in high school, so I am completely oblivious to the kid culture of the time.

Written By: SpyroKev on 11/11/15 at 11:25 am

The mid 2000s only had a handful of good rap every year. I can say now though that mid 2000s rap is more tolerable then todays trap rap.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 11/11/15 at 11:44 am

I actually agree the mid 2000s lifestyle wise did seem like a mini golden age. EVERYBODY around me was happy. Here in Missouri baby it was kicking, my Cardinals were in the NLCS and won the World Series in 2006, the housing bubble boom, YouTube was in its infancy,MySpace, it was fun time being a big kid at the time and doing big kid things!

NOW pop culturally is a different story, this part of the decade seemed like the weakest part for movies, gaming was AMAZING though; we were slowly transiting from 6th gen to 7th gen, music though was forgettable and even terrible at one point, the kids networks went through some minor changes, the kids networks wouldn't go through MAJOR changes until 2006, regular TV was pretty good, as a matter of fact, I'd even say Television was better than film during the mid 2000s.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/11/15 at 2:08 pm

I actually agree the mid 2000s lifestyle wise did seem like a mini golden age. EVERYBODY around me was happy. Here in Missouri baby it was kicking, my Cardinals were in the NLCS and won the World Series in 2006, the housing bubble boom, YouTube was in its infancy,MySpace, it was fun time being a big kid at the time and doing big kid things!

NOW pop culturally is a different story, this part of the decade seemed like the weakest part for movies, gaming was AMAZING though; we were slowly transiting from 6th gen to 7th gen, music though was forgettable and even terrible at one point, the kids networks went through some minor changes, the kids networks wouldn't go through MAJOR changes until 2006, regular TV was pretty good, as a matter of fact, I'd even say Television was better than film during the mid 2000s.

The Mets also went through a golden age of winning seasons around 2006-2008. Sadly, we lost the NLCS to the Cardinals in '06 and lost the division title to the Phillies in '07 and '08. But I never really gave a crap about the Mets during that time, since I wasn't into baseball back then.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 11/11/15 at 2:16 pm

The Mets also went through a golden age of winning seasons around 2006-2008. Sadly, we lost the NLCS to the Cardinals in '06 and lost the division title to the Phillies in '07 and '08. But I never really gave a crap about the Mets during that time, since I wasn't into baseball back then.

Sadly your mets also lost to the Royals this year. ANOTHER Missouri team! :o

Written By: Howard on 11/11/15 at 3:23 pm

even youtube and myspace were innovative (anyone remember the first days of youtube?

yeah I remember when it was good 10 years ago.

Written By: the2001 on 11/11/15 at 8:50 pm

yeah I remember when it was good 10 years ago.

no ads, and no takedowns

Written By: Shemp97 on 11/12/15 at 11:16 am

rap during this time sucked minus Kanye and Lupe, but POP was still amazing tho, depends on what age you were then tho

Add k-os and Shad. Then I'd say only snap or whatever its called sucked.

Written By: Howard on 11/12/15 at 2:45 pm

no ads, and no takedowns

Now, you can either watch the 30 second ad or you can just skip it.

Check for new replies or respond here...