inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Blu Ray vs HD DVD

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/16/15 at 10:15 am

Remember this era from late 2006 - 2008? Also which side we you on during this format war? I was on the Blu Ray side, though I didn't even get a Blu Ray player until Dec of 2009 (that being the PS3  ;D )

Subject: Re: Blu Ray vs HD DVD

Written By: bchris02 on 11/16/15 at 11:49 am

Remember this era from late 2006 - 2008? Also which side we you on during this format war? I was on the Blu Ray side, though I didn't even get a Blu Ray player until Dec of 2009 (that being the PS3  ;D )

I thought HD-DVD would win out, simply because it was marketed as the next generation of DVD and the original Xbox 360 included an HD-DVD player.  Prior to Blu-Ray, Sony had been relatively unsuccessful at their attempts to release a successful proprietary media format.  Both formats were ahead of their time, being that in 2006 most people weren't quite ready for HD yet.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/16/15 at 11:55 am

I thought HD-DVD would win out, simply because it was marketed as the next generation of DVD and the original Xbox 360 included an HD-DVD player.  Prior to Blu-Ray, Sony had been relatively unsuccessful at their attempts to release a successful proprietary media format.  Both formats were ahead of their time, being that in 2006 most people weren't quite ready for HD yet.

True, plus the PS3 wasn't doing well during those years so people assumed Blu Ray was a failure as well

Written By: Ripley on 11/16/15 at 1:21 pm

I hated when blu rays came out because there were several things where it would take a couple of weeks later for the dvd version to be released.  Then after a while I attempted to get every dvd switched to it.  Really there are so many menu options, the menu itself looks nice, the picture is great and even the cases are cool.  But I'm not as into all that extra as I once was.  Back when I started collecting dvds though, I loved it.  The more the better.  One of the things I treasured the most were the cast and director commentaries.  I always enjoyed those.  Now it doesn't seem there are as many but there are a crap load of un-necessary deleted scenes.  Point is, I was 100% on the dvd side and wish we could go back to when dvds were filled with awesome treasures.  Now you have to get a blu ray for most of that. 

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/16/15 at 2:34 pm

I hated when blu rays came out because there were several things where it would take a couple of weeks later for the dvd version to be released.  Then after a while I attempted to get every dvd switched to it.  Really there are so many menu options, the menu itself looks nice, the picture is great and even the cases are cool.  But I'm not as into all that extra as I once was.  Back when I started collecting dvds though, I loved it.  The more the better.  One of the things I treasured the most were the cast and director commentaries.  I always enjoyed those.  Now it doesn't seem there are as many but there are a crap load of un-necessary deleted scenes.  Point is, I was 100% on the dvd side and wish we could go back to when dvds were filled with awesome treasures.  Now you have to get a blu ray for most of that.

Lol true you got a point, Blu Ray was relatively new so there wasn't much content for the format

Written By: snozberries on 11/17/15 at 3:35 pm

I bought both.  When HD DVD lost the war Amazon sent me an apology lettter and gave me $75 or to appease my loss.  lol.  I still have the HD DVD player and about 30 HD DVDs... and I have a bunch of Blu Ray so I'm good! 

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/17/15 at 3:55 pm

I bought both.  When HD DVD lost the war Amazon sent me an apology lettter and gave me $75 or to appease my loss.  lol.  I still have the HD DVD player and about 30 HD DVDs... and I have a bunch of Blu Ray so I'm good!

Lol that's pretty awesome! Question, do you use Blu Ray or digital streaming to watch movies more often?

Personally I stream movies on Netflix, but I really want to start collecting physical movies, especially since Netflix only allows certain movies at certain times to stream

Written By: snozberries on 11/17/15 at 4:04 pm

Lol that's pretty awesome! Question, do you use Blu Ray or digital streaming to watch movies more often?

Personally I stream movies on Netflix, but I really want to start collecting physical movies, especially since Netflix only allows certain movies at certain times to stream

I don't do a lot of streaming. but when I do stream it's mostly TV shows bc I'm a TV addict  :D

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/17/15 at 5:12 pm

I don't do a lot of streaming. but when I do stream it's mostly TV shows bc I'm a TV addict  :D

Lol. Im more of a movie streaming kind of guy, I honestly don't watch much tv

Written By: Ripley on 11/17/15 at 5:54 pm

I used to collect movies. I had nearly 1000 but had to sell them when I first got in debt.

Written By: Howard on 11/18/15 at 2:59 pm

My Father does a lot of streaming too with Netflix and Hulu.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 11/20/15 at 11:11 am

I didn't really pick a side in the Format War. I had both an Xbox 360 and a PlayStation 3, but by the time I finally got an HDTV in 2008, HD-DVD was clearly already dying, so I just started buying movies on Blu Ray.

I also agree with what bchris02 said earlier, though. 2006 (which is when the Format War really began in earnest) was really a bit too early to start placing High-definition video players on the market because HDTV's were still more of a luxury item for the average person at that time. When I got my HDTV in 2008 I was one of only about a handful of people that I knew that actually had one. Heck, most older people (like my grandparents) were just getting regular DVD players by 2005, so obviously they were not even going to consider upgrading that quick.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/20/15 at 12:54 pm

I didn't really pick a side in the Format War. I had both an Xbox 360 and a PlayStation 3, but by the time I finally got an HDTV in 2008, HD-DVD was clearly already dying, so I just started buying movies on Blu Ray.

I also agree with what bchris02 said earlier, though. 2006 (which is when the Format War really began in earnest) was really a bit too early to start placing High-definition video players on the market because HDTV's were still more of a luxury item for the average person at that time. When I got my HDTV in 2008 I was one of only about a handful of people that I knew that actually had one. Heck, most older people (like my grandparents) were just getting regular DVD players by 2005, so obviously they were not even going to consider upgrading that quick.

True! HDTVs didn't become a neccisity like it is today until around 2012, and by then Blu Ray sales started to become stagnant as Netflix and other video/movie services started to get big

Written By: Ripley on 11/20/15 at 1:43 pm

When I finally upgraded to a bluray player I only had it for a year and a half. And it was a nice one. I had to sell causd i needed the money. I do kind of regret it. But if I get another it won't be so fancy. I'd probably just use it for if I rent movies now.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/20/15 at 5:25 pm

BLU RAY FTW!!!!!!

But in all seriousness, I would just use DVDs until they discontinue production from it.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 11/21/15 at 12:47 am

I remember this era very well. HD DVDs were the next big thing and then Blu-ray appeared and swept it under a rug. ;D ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/14/17 at 11:18 am

I'm bumping this old topic because we have some newer members here now who's opinions I'd like to hear on this topic. Here's a few interesting things I remember about the Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD format war.

*I still remember the first time I ever saw a Blu-Ray player. It was at a Best Buy in the summer of 2006, and it was priced at $1,000.

*As well all know, the PlayStation 3 sided with Blu-Ray in the format war, while the Xbox 360 backed HD-DVD. One difference though is that the Xbox 360 did not offer HD-DVD support out of the box like the PS3 did with Blu-Ray. You had to buy an HD-DVD add-on, which cost $200 bucks. This hurt the 360's advantage of costing less than the PS3 because, by the time you added in the price of an HD-DVD add-on, it was really about the same value.

*HD-DVD officially went belly up in early 2008, barely two years after it first launched.

*Toshiba is said to have lost over $900 million dollars on the failure of HD-DVD.

Check for new replies or respond here...