inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Fear of getting older

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 11/20/15 at 11:20 am

Hey is it me or does anyone else who was a teenager in the 2000s fear getting older? I remember back when the current crop of pop stars were coming up I was the same age as all of them, for instance Rihanna, who is established now and I would think "Hmm, I wouldn't mind sticking my cock in her asshole" but soon pop stars are going to be generation Z'ers and a completely different generation. Hell, my lil bro is going to turn 15 in a few days and in a few years time it is going to be his generation that are the pretty young things adorning the stages and making tissues wet :-[ It just seems so weird, my youth feels so recent yet it is nearly 10 years ago that I was 16 :o For years I have been able to say the latest pretty young things are the same age as me, or even older in some cases but it is getting to the point where I won't be the same age of them anymore :( It is such a weird realisation!

Subject: Re: Fear of getting older

Written By: bchris02 on 11/20/15 at 12:08 pm

Hey is it me or does anyone else who was a teenager in the 2000s fear getting older? I remember back when the current crop of pop stars were coming up I was the same age as all of them, for instance Rihanna, who is established now and I would think "Hmm, I wouldn't mind sticking my cock in her asshole" but soon pop stars are going to be generation Z'ers and a completely different generation. Hell, my lil bro is going to turn 15 in a few days and in a few years time it is going to be his generation that are the pretty young things adorning the stages and making tissues wet :-[ It just seems so weird, my youth feels so recent yet it is nearly 10 years ago that I was 16 :o For years I have been able to say the latest pretty young things are the same age as me, or even older in some cases but it is getting to the point where I won't be the same age of them anymore :( It is such a weird realisation!

For me, this realization came to me around the time music shifted to teen pop in 2013.  Most of the songs on the radio by Ariana Grande, Ellie Goulding, Becky G, One Direction, etc, are not my generation's music.

Fact of the matter is life goes fast and its a lot shorter than you think it is when you are a teenager.  Once you hit 25, it simply speeds up from there.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 11/20/15 at 12:29 pm

I still feel pretty young and I'm 33! I stopped liking pop culture around 2004/2005 because it didn't appeal to me anymore and I was only what? 22/23? I didn't really feel any other, though. It's all in your attitude, dude!

Written By: SpyroKev on 11/20/15 at 12:47 pm

I did and still do as in I don't want to lose my youth. I got over it to an extend because I don't want to out live my era. That's the real fear. I can't stay as I currently am, but my style will.

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 11/20/15 at 12:48 pm

For me, this realization came to me around the time music shifted to teen pop in 2013.  Most of the songs on the radio by Ariana Grande, Ellie Goulding, Becky G, One Direction, etc, are not my generation's music.

Fact of the matter is life goes fast and its a lot shorter than you think it is when you are a teenager.  Once you hit 25, it simply speeds up from there.

I totally agree with you, after 25 life feels like it is flying by. I actually had some confusion earlier this month, I know it's a grim subject but the latest Paris atrocities actually confused me because I didn't realise how long it had been since the January ones. This year seems to have been the fastest I have experienced yet and it was mainly my 25th year, apart from the last part from November onwards when I turned 26.

I must say though, at least the current crop of latest stars are roughly my age, even though they are doing teen pop. What scared me was realising in a few years time they are going to be much young than me and closer in age to my lil bro :o Anyway I have never been into the music that is in the charts myself, even back when it was stuff from my generation.

I still feel pretty young and I'm 33! I stopped liking pop culture around 2004/2005 because it didn't appeal to me anymore and I was only what? 22/23? I didn't really feel any other, though. It's all in your attitude, dude!

I am not into pop culture per se, it is just something that gives each year it's feel which is why I use it as a measure. Even back when I was part of the latest and greatest most up to date generation a few years ago I was never into pop music. To me it feels roughly the same it's just that I am used to the pretty young things up on stage thrusting their hips being similar in age to me and now I am coming to the sickening realisation that that is no longer going to be the case for the rest of my life anymore ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 11/20/15 at 12:53 pm

I am not into pop culture per se, it is just something that gives each year it's feel which is why I use it as a measure. Even back when I was part of the latest and greatest most up to date generation a few years ago I was never into pop music. To me it feels roughly the same it's just that I am used to the pretty young things up on stage thrusting their hips being similar in age to me and now I am coming to the sickening realisation that that is no longer going to be the case for the rest of my life anymore ;D

Haha, I know what you mean. Can you believe it? The i-Generation have just started high school! People born in a 20XX year instead of a 19XX year are in High School! Soon enough, they'll be the Pop Stars everyone's talking about!

Written By: Ripley on 11/20/15 at 1:45 pm

I still feel young and I'm one of those that wishes I was still a kid.

Written By: Howard on 11/20/15 at 1:55 pm

I'm going to be 42 next year and I'm not that into pop culture as much as I used to.

Written By: Howard on 11/20/15 at 1:56 pm

I still feel young and I'm one of those that wishes I was still a kid.

you're only as younger as you feel.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 11/20/15 at 1:59 pm

I'm going to be 42 next year and I'm not that into pop culture as much as I used to.

Yeah, man. The stuff today isn't as good as it was from 1980-2002. Each one of those years I can find some really good stuff. Once 2004 hit, I was loosing interest and started to miss the 80's, 90's and early 00's.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 11/21/15 at 1:28 pm

I do understand how you feel. I had one of those types of moments earlier this year when it passed ten years since I graduated high school, and I realized that this year's incoming freshmen were still just newborn babies when I started high school in 2001. The passage of time is a really weird thing to absorb, but, in the grand scheme of things, I'm still a pretty young guy. Now, when I hit 30 in a few years, that'll probably be a little bit harder to get over. ;D

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/21/15 at 1:49 pm

I don't mind growing old as long as I don't have to LOOK it.  :)
Most people on average place me about 5 years younger than my true age. I'd like to keep it that way.
My daddy used to say that growing older was a blessing and it is. Every day you say good morning is a blessing. It's not the fear of growing old, it's the fear of LOOKING old I think most people grapple with because we are a looks-conscious society.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/21/15 at 2:02 pm

As a kid, the one thing I always wanted to be was older. All my sibs are older than I am. I have always felt young-still do. As I look in the mirror, I see the lines starting to form. I'm not even going to mention the gray hair because I have had those since I was at the ripe old age of 15 and have been coloring my hair since age 19. But, it has occurred to me that I have more days behind me than ahead of me. I must admit that that idea frighten me. However, it is a lesson to cherish the time I have remaining.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 11/21/15 at 3:36 pm

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/18200000/Tales-From-the-Crypt-Presents-Demon-Knight-horror-movies-18288647-900-506.jpg

Here's me in 200 years, when I'm still alive.  ;)

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 11/21/15 at 4:58 pm

Actually, I never feared getting older when I was a child or teen. Right now on the other hand,I am fearing getting older and older a little bit. I still can't believe I'm in my 20s now. I just can't believe I've made it this far. My older cousins that I grew up with from my mom and dad's side are 21,32,28,27,24,26. The younger ones being 18, 17, 14, and 13. My parents are both 50 and 56. My grandmothers are 68 and 80 something.  It's like wow time just passed me by. It also doesn't help that some of athletes and wrestlers that I grew up watching have been going into the hall of fame the past couple of years.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 11/21/15 at 4:59 pm

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/18200000/Tales-From-the-Crypt-Presents-Demon-Knight-horror-movies-18288647-900-506.jpg

Here's me in 200 years, when I'm still alive.  ;)

;D ;D ;D ! Crypt Keeper FTW!!!

Written By: Howard on 11/21/15 at 5:48 pm

Most people on average place me about 5 years younger than my true age. I'd like to keep it that way.
My daddy used to say that growing older was a blessing and it is. Every day you say good morning is a blessing. It's not the fear of growing old, it's the fear of LOOKING old I think most people grapple with because we are a looks-conscious society.

You can't stay young forever. ;)

Written By: Howard on 11/21/15 at 5:50 pm

I always feared getting older but now I try to embrace it as much as I can.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/21/15 at 7:30 pm

It's weird to think about sometimes, but I do feel a bit scared about getting old. For instance, it's weird to me that most pop stars these days like Ariana Grande, Demi Lovato, Justin Bieber, Lorde, etc. are all around my age and our now the face of pop music these days. It's also weird to think that in just a couple years there will be no 90's babies in high school, heck today's freshman were the first to be born in the new millennium  :o

Written By: #Infinity on 11/21/15 at 7:42 pm

It's weird to think about sometimes, but I do feel a bit scared about getting old. For instance, it's weird to me that most pop stars these days like Ariana Grande, Demi Lovato, Justin Bieber, Lorde, etc. are all around my age and our now the face of pop music these days. It's also weird to think that in just a couple years there will be no 90's babies in high school, heck today's freshman were the first to be born in the new millennium  :o

Heck, most sophomores today were born in 2000.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 11/21/15 at 7:58 pm

After the 2016-2017 school year, they will be no more millennials in high school, unless those millennials have been held back a grade. Also, the class of 2017 (1999ers) are the last people born in the 20th century and the 2nd millennium.

I can't believe that 5 years from now, the oldest members of Gen Z, born in 2000, will be 20 years old and already studying something in college/university and having a job.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 11/21/15 at 8:49 pm

After the 2016-2017 school year, they will be no more millennials in high school, unless those millennials have been held back a grade. Also, the class of 2017 (1999ers) are the last people born in the 20th century and the 2nd millennium.

I can't believe that 5 years from now, the oldest members of Gen Z, born in 2000, will be 20 years old and already studying something in college/university and having a job.

Not true the 20th century ended in 2000. 2001 was the beginning of the 21st century.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 11/21/15 at 9:00 pm

Not true the 20th century ended in 2000. 2001 was the beginning of the 21st century.

I kept thinking the 20th century ended in 1999 rather than 2000, because the year 1999 was the last year to start with 19. I was speaking of the 1900s century (1900-1999). Getting back to the topic, I just said that the class of 2017 are the last millennials in high school, while in the year 2020, the first Gen Z people will be turning 20.

Written By: #Infinity on 11/21/15 at 9:14 pm

There wasn't a year 0, so 2000 is technically the final year of the second millennium of the Common Era, but people prefer to think in digits rather than technicalities, so 2000 is usually accepted as a 21st century year.  People in the late 20th century were anticipating the year 2000, not 2001 (unless they were hardcore sci-fi geeks with a fondness for space exploration and the evolution of manmade instruments).

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/21/15 at 10:29 pm

Yeah thats true!

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/21/15 at 10:31 pm

Thats debatable. Most people who agree with the 18 year definition of Gen Y typically cut it off at 2000, so the C/O 2018 are technically the last of Y. Plus they were the last to be born in 20th century like Eazy-EMan pointed out

Written By: 80sfan on 11/21/15 at 11:48 pm

;D ;D ;D ! Crypt Keeper FTW!!!

He´s so crusty.  :o

Written By: Howard on 11/22/15 at 2:25 pm

It's weird to think about sometimes, but I do feel a bit scared about getting old.

Are you afraid of seeing yourself in a nursing home?

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/22/15 at 2:34 pm

Are you afraid of seeing yourself in a nursing home?

Yeah I am  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/22/15 at 2:37 pm

He´s so crusty.  :o

No, this is Krusty.

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/simpsons/images/e/e5/Krusty_The_Clown.png/revision/latest?cb=20131004191501

;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Howard on 11/22/15 at 2:56 pm

Yeah I am  ;D

You wouldn't want to be where my 98 year old grandmother is. :o

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/22/15 at 3:46 pm

You wouldn't want to be where my 98 year old grandmother is. :o

Omg that's crazy  :o God bless her

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/22/15 at 4:13 pm

The only thing I worry about getting older is my mental capability. I'm frightened, because my father succumbed to Parkinson's, and before I was born, his father had Alzheimer's. And one of the things I pride myself on is my intelligence, my mental capability, my writing talent...etc. I don't want to live long enough to contract either of these. When I was in the throes of renal failure, my mental status was altered from the buildup of toxins in my system. I remember being frightened because I couldn't differentiate between my dreams and reality. And at one point, Michael Jackson leaned off the magazine cover I have on my headboard and started speaking to me. I literally thought I was losing it.
I was a hot mess, but those affects went away as soon as I started dialysis and my body was freed of the toxins. But I know Parkinsons and Alzheimer's aren't circulatory related. They're neurological diseases that involve the brain and nervous system and that scares the absolute hell out of me, because no amount of dialysis, blood transfusions, saline can correct it. It's degenerative.  :(
Also I want to have children one day with Mr. Right (with a thick body) I don't want to be a burden on them. My mother took care of her mother, and I took care of my mother. I don't want to continue that cycle.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/22/15 at 4:19 pm

No, this is Krusty.

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/simpsons/images/e/e5/Krusty_The_Clown.png/revision/latest?cb=20131004191501

;D ;D ;D

Cat

Eat at Krusty burgers?

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 11/22/15 at 4:25 pm

Let's see what I survived in my short life

In 1996 I turned 20.
In 2006 I turned 30
In 2016 I'll be 40

So I don't think I have anything to be afraid of because in the first place I'm not that old and secondly I won't have anything to fear until I reach my mid 40s which won't be until around 2019.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 11/22/15 at 4:43 pm

In 1996 I turned 20.
In 2006 I turned 30
In 2016 I'll be 40

So I don't think I have anything to be afraid of because in the first place I'm not that old and secondly I won't have anything to fear until I reach my mid 40s which won't be until around 2019.

Wow, you look a lot younger than your age. That's cool!

Written By: Emman on 11/22/15 at 4:48 pm

I'm in my early 30s and the experience of time for me sped up after hitting 25, adulthood is so damn weird. The difference between 10 and 15 is enormous, 15 to 20 is very changeful as well, 20-25 is pretty different but 25-30 goes by on warp speed ;D. Being a "thirty-something" is something I'm still trying to get use to.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 11/22/15 at 5:18 pm

Wow, you look a lot younger than your age. That's cool!

Why thank you kindly Eazy-EMAN1995.  To me age is just a number and I don't want to stop having fun. 

Written By: Howard on 11/23/15 at 2:44 pm

Omg that's crazy  :o God bless her

You wouldn't want be at a place where you need to get your diaper changed almost all the time. :o

Written By: Howard on 11/23/15 at 2:46 pm

I'm in my early 30s and the experience of time for me sped up after hitting 25, adulthood is so damn weird. The difference between 10 and 15 is enormous, 15 to 20 is very changeful as well, 20-25 is pretty different but 25-30 goes by on warp speed ;D. Being a "thirty-something" is something I'm still trying to get use to.

I'm in my early 40's and I couldn't believe how fast time flew, I never thought I would reach my 40's.  :o

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 11/23/15 at 6:05 pm

Scratch that.  I don't intend to stop having fun!

Written By: JordanK1982 on 11/23/15 at 6:38 pm

This is the perfect attitude to have towards aging. The fun shouldn't stop just because you get older!

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 11/23/15 at 10:32 pm

You wouldn't want be at a place where you need to get your diaper changed almost all the time. :o

Okay Howard ENOUGH!

Written By: Katluver on 11/24/15 at 2:52 am

Honestly, it's one of my biggest fears.  I know it sounds weird, but I've been dreading it since I was a child.  I remember dreading my 10th birthday because I wanted to stay as a little kid!  Now I would give anything to be 21 again...or even 31!

Written By: KatanaChick on 11/24/15 at 8:46 am

I remember back when the current crop of pop stars were coming up I was the same age as all of them, for instance Rihanna, who is established now and I would think "Hmm, I wouldn't mind sticking my cock in her asshole"

Woah, woah, woah! Was that necessary?

I'm a little younger than you and I don't feel old. Different than my early 20's for certain, and that's not a bad thing! I never kept on top of pop culture when I was in my teens and early 20's, so it just wasn't for me period. I watch and listen to what I like and that's that.

A person's lifestyle I believe plays a role in how they age.

Written By: Howard on 11/24/15 at 2:37 pm

Okay Howard ENOUGH!

Sorry Celeste.  :(

Written By: Howard on 11/24/15 at 2:38 pm

Same here, you always got to have fun. :)

Written By: Howard on 11/24/15 at 2:39 pm

This is the perfect attitude to have towards aging. The fun shouldn't stop just because you get older!

and don't let getting older bother you.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 11/24/15 at 3:09 pm

My secret to looking younger than I really am has always been the following

No excessive drinking
No excessive drugging
and a handful of knowing how to have fun without #1 and #2.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/24/15 at 3:13 pm

No excessive drinking
No excessive drugging

Same here. If I drink, it's once a month and I don't believe in drugs, because why ruin what God and my parents created. LOL  ::)
And smiling. Smiling gives you a youthful cast too.

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 11/24/15 at 3:17 pm

It's not so much getting older that bothers me but it is the era in which I was young starting to get older and knowing that it will only get older and older that bothers me.  The feeling of my generation and all the familiar things vanishing into history. I don't know how to put it exactly.

Written By: Howard on 11/24/15 at 3:22 pm

No excessive drinking
No excessive drugging

and to be around people who make you feel good.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 11/24/15 at 4:45 pm

Woah, woah, woah! Was that necessary?
I'm a little younger than you and I don't feel old. Different than my early 20's for certain, and that's not a bad thing! I never kept on top of pop culture when I was in my teens and early 20's, so it just wasn't for me period. I watch and listen to what I like and that's that.
A person's lifestyle I believe plays a role in how they age.

I'm curious, Katana how does it feel being in your 30s now?; now that I'm in my 20s I just feel like wow Ive made it this far!

Written By: Howard on 11/25/15 at 2:51 pm

I'm curious, Katana how does it feel being in your 30s now?; now that I'm in my 20s I just feel like wow Ive made it this far!

Eazy, I'm into my early 40's and I still feel good.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/25/15 at 8:52 pm

In 1996 I turned 20.
In 2006 I turned 30
In 2016 I'll be 40

You were born in the year of the dragon! 1976. The dragon is good luck in Vietnamese culture!  :)

Written By: Katluver on 11/25/15 at 10:05 pm

No excessive drinking
No excessive drugging

How about no drugs at all.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 11/25/15 at 11:02 pm

I say "excessive" because sometimes people can do drugs and over do it.  I don't do drugs at all actually.  Doing drugs and drinking excessively can make you age faster.  I don't want to age any faster than I have to.

Written By: Howard on 11/26/15 at 2:13 pm

I don't do drugs, I try to live a clean lifestyle.  :)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/26/15 at 5:54 pm

The closest I get to drugs is my BP meds.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 11/27/15 at 7:30 am

The closest I get to drugs is my BP meds.  ::)

Are you still thinking about him?  ;D

Written By: Shemp97 on 11/28/15 at 1:32 am

As much as I like it. It jumps out at me when grown adults mention their "childhood" being in the 90s. I dunno, my brain is just stuck in the 00s where I was used to role models being 70s born and the late 90s just kinda feels recent relatively speaking.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 11/29/15 at 6:35 pm

As much as I like it. It jumps out at me when grown adults mention their "childhood" being in the 90s. I dunno, my brain is just stuck in the 00s where I was used to role models being 70s born and the late 90s just kinda feels recent relatively speaking.

I actually feel the same way. In many ways, my mindset is still somewhat stuck in my last year of high school, which was in 2005. Whenever I hear about something being "15-years-ago" my initial assumption is still to picture something like Vanilla Ice or Color Me Badd, and then I have to remind myself that it's actually stuff I grew up with like Smash Mouth or Sisqo that's reached that milestone. Likewise, when I think of something from "20-years-ago", I'm much more likely to think of Tears for Fears than I am Hootie and the Blowfish.

The passage of time is very strange indeed. :o

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 11/30/15 at 10:25 am

I am actually the same except slightly more recent. When people talk about "10 years ago" it makes me think of the mid 90s. Now 10 years ago is almost 2006 I am like "OMG WTAF!!!". And all the things that were up to date are no longer up to date but they still feel quite recent. Cars and other technology from the 2000s still look current to me, although I think that is because in many ways it still is, although that is slowly seeping away.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/18/15 at 9:46 am

"Oh what I'd give for a hundred years
But the physical interferes
Every day more, O my Creator
What is the good of the strongest heart
In a body that's falling apart?
A serious flaw, I hope You know that "

This lyric from the song "Waltz For Eva And Che" from the musical Evita sums it up for me.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/27/15 at 4:06 pm

"Oh what I'd give for a hundred years
But the physical interferes
Every day more, O my Creator
What is the good of the strongest heart
In a body that's falling apart?
A serious flaw, I hope You know that "

This lyric from the song "Waltz For Eva And Che" from the musical Evita sums it up for me.

I knew what it was before I read the last line.

Now, I have that in my head.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: 2001 on 12/27/15 at 7:02 pm

I don't fear growing older; I seem to get happier as I get older, I feel more accomplished. Having a terrible teenagehood helps lol. But I feel you with the stars becoming progressively younger!

Growing up as a kid/teen in the 2000s, most the stars were older than me at least by a few years. Then in the late 2000s they were starting to become the same age as me (e.g. Selena Gomez is a few months, Bieber a year younger). I could ignore them, no big deal. Now they're all 95-97ish born and it's getting really weird and I'm realizing that I'm slowly moving out of the prime target age group of pop culture.  ;D

There's still quite a few pop culture icons who're older than me, like Katy Perry, Rihanna and Taylor Swift, so I probably shouldn't be talking  :-X

Written By: Howard on 12/28/15 at 2:50 pm

I don't fear growing older; I seem to get happier as I get older, I feel more accomplished.

same here, I feel I accomplished just about everything and with age comes knowledge.

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 12/31/15 at 4:39 am

I don't fear growing older; I seem to get happier as I get older, I feel more accomplished. Having a terrible teenagehood helps lol. But I feel you with the stars becoming progressively younger!

Growing up as a kid/teen in the 2000s, most the stars were older than me at least by a few years. Then in the late 2000s they were starting to become the same age as me (e.g. Selena Gomez is a few months, Bieber a year younger). I could ignore them, no big deal. Now they're all 95-97ish born and it's getting really weird and I'm realizing that I'm slowly moving out of the prime target age group of pop culture.  ;D

There's still quite a few pop culture icons who're older than me, like Katy Perry, Rihanna and Taylor Swift, so I probably shouldn't be talking  :-X

That's exactly what I was getting at. When Rihanna was 18 in 2008, I was 18. But the next generation of young stars are going to be 18 today when I am 26. And then when I am 36 and so on. It is a disturbing thought! I used to be at the forefront of my generation but no longer am. That realisation that I am leaving the age group is sickening.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/01/16 at 6:05 am

That's exactly what I was getting at. When Rihanna was 18 in 2008, I was 18. But the next generation of young stars are going to be 18 today when I am 26. And then when I am 36 and so on. It is a disturbing thought! I used to be at the forefront of my generation but no longer am. That realisation that I am leaving the age group is sickening.

That's what's nice about listening to rock. Musicians who age are still relevent and even revered as icons instead of washed up pop stars who were once teen idols.  ;D

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/02/16 at 3:20 am

I turn 21 in August.. that's a strange thought. First year of being a 20something is nearly behind me. 4 years until I turn 25.. less than 10 until I turn 30 (now that's an eye-opener).

Do I fear getting old? Well, yes and no. I'm not apprehensive about my late 20s or 30s, but I think as I approach 40 I'll start feeling a little freaked out.. I mean, that's half of your life gone (going under the presumption that life expectancy is around 80 years for most developed countries)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/02/16 at 4:45 pm

I turn 21 in August.. that's a strange thought. First year of being a 20something is nearly behind me. 4 years until I turn 25.. less than 10 until I turn 30 (now that's an eye-opener).

Do I fear getting old? Well, yes and no. I'm not apprehensive about my late 20s or 30s, but I think as I approach 40 I'll start feeling a little freaked out.. I mean, that's half of your life gone (going under the presumption that life expectancy is around 80 years for most developed countries)

I'm 40 in 8 months.  09/07/16 and I'm loving life and have no reason to slow down.  :)

Written By: Howard on 01/02/16 at 5:00 pm

I'm 40 in 8 months.  09/07/16 and I'm loving life and have no reason to slow down.  :)

I will turn 42 in March.

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 01/03/16 at 11:48 pm

You aren't really a 20 something until you are at least 21 anyway. When I was 20 I still felt like a teenager, it wasn't until I was about 23 that I felt like "holy sheesh, I am actually a man now!". Also I feel like the mid 2000s are such a hard era to explain to other people. Sort of modern but dated. It's weird to explain. It's like there is almost no difference between then and now yet here I am 10 years older. So weird.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/04/16 at 12:39 am

I think age is a state of mind.  It's not how old you are but how you feel.  I know that I'm not that old but I know that I still want to have fun for as long as I can.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/04/16 at 1:17 am

Yeah, the music thing has been getting weird to me for quite a while now, too. Almost all of the hottest new artists these days are younger than me. In fact, nine of the ten artists in the current Billboard top 10 are younger than me, with the sole exception being Drake. The youngest person in top 10 is singer Shawn Mendes, who's a full eleven years younger than me.

I haven't really followed much new music since I left college though, and it shows. Whenever I ride around town these days with Hybrid Theory blaring out of my speakers, I always wind up feeling like a hippie in 1977. Just a man out of time. :P

Written By: Ripley on 01/04/16 at 10:51 am

Here is something I do fear...

Not being able to have a baby. I've though back and forth about it and finally decided for real I want one. And lately I've been ticking, my biological clock that is. I'm 30 years old and I'm ready to have a baby. But I'm scared I'll never be able to reproduce. See I have issues in uterus issues that make my chances lower than others. And I'm afraid the older I get the more slim that chance will be. But my other half isn't ready to try yet. So I'm worried. Having a surrogant is out of the question. If I'm having a child I want it from mg own body.

Written By: Howard on 01/04/16 at 3:11 pm

I think age is a state of mind.  It's not how old you are but how you feel.  I know that I'm not that old but I know that I still want to have fun for as long as I can.

age is nothing but a number.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/04/16 at 3:13 pm

...but your bones still creak!

Written By: Howard on 01/04/16 at 4:15 pm

...but your bones still creak!

and complain of aches and pains.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/04/16 at 4:40 pm

and complain of aches and pains.
Becoming grumpy with it?

Written By: Howard on 01/05/16 at 2:58 pm

Becoming grumpy with it?

Yes, very grumpy.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/06/16 at 11:58 pm

Growing old is mandatory
Acting old is optional.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/07/16 at 11:47 am

I'll be 20 next month and two days. :o

I remember how I felt the very last month I was 9 in my single digits in January 2006 feeling shaky about turning 10 the next month when I was a kid. I turned 10 and I got used to it quickly and I still felt like I was in my core childhood, it wasn't so bad after all, but it wasn't until I really hit 11 or 12 when I started feeling a huge change in myself. Fast forward 10 years later since I'm about to enter my 20's now, this is the first time in a while it's a big deal for me coming into a new age. It feels like a huge milestone but I know I'll make it through! History tells me that being 20 won't be so bad and it won't be until I'm about 22 when I graduate college when I start feeling the pressure again, but who knows.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/07/16 at 1:38 pm

Here is something I do fear...

Not being able to have a baby. I've though back and forth about it and finally decided for real I want one. And lately I've been ticking, my biological clock that is. I'm 30 years old and I'm ready to have a baby. But I'm scared I'll never be able to reproduce. See I have issues in uterus issues that make my chances lower than others. And I'm afraid the older I get the more slim that chance will be. But my other half isn't ready to try yet. So I'm worried. Having a surrogant is out of the question. If I'm having a child I want it from mg own body.

I totally understand. In my case, it was not having someone to father my baby. There were many times I thought about having a baby on my own, but that wouldn't have been fair to the baby. And the thought of being a single parent was very scary. Then Carlos entered my life and he was done with kids (had the "BIG V"). At that time, I had a choice-leave him to try to find someone to have kids with or stay with him and not have kids. I chose the latter because there was no guarantee that I would ever meet anyone who I would want to have kids with. Looking back I know I made the right decision.

HOWEVER, there are days when I am sorry that I never had any kids of my own. But most days I am very glad that I don't. But, the bonus is having 7 little ones who call me Grandma.  :)

Cat

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/07/16 at 2:05 pm

I'm turning 34 this year but it feels more like I am 33 going on 14.

Written By: Howard on 01/07/16 at 3:23 pm

I'm turning 34 this year but it feels more like I am 33 going on 14.

I'm going to be 42 years old in March, would you believe it? And I don't feel 42. :o

Written By: 2001 on 01/07/16 at 3:27 pm

I'm sad about turning 23 in a few weeks because I can't sing Taylor Swift's 22 anymore. >:(

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/07/16 at 3:32 pm

I'm sad about turning 23 in a few weeks because I can't sing Taylor Swift's 22 anymore. >:(
I am looking forward to the time when I can sing "When I'm 64" with no hassle.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/07/16 at 7:47 pm

I'll be 20 next month and two days. :o

I remember how I felt the very last month I was 9 in my single digits in January 2006 feeling shaky about turning 10 the next month when I was a kid. I turned 10 and I got used to it quickly and I still felt like I was in my core childhood, it wasn't so bad after all, but it wasn't until I really hit 11 or 12 when I started feeling a huge change in myself. Fast forward 10 years later since I'm about to enter my 20's now, this is the first time in a while it's a big deal for me coming into a new age. It feels like a huge milestone but I know I'll make it through! History tells me that being 20 won't be so bad and it won't be until I'm about 22 when I graduate college when I start feeling the pressure again, but who knows.

I was proud of turning 10 because double digits! At 13 I wasn't that excited to be a teenager nor did I feel much different from 12. My teenage years as a whole felt like they all just blended together until I was done with school, then that was a whole different world. Turning 20 wasn't Earth shattering either. I secretly wished to still be 19. 21 was more significant because I went to my first nightclub that year and bar. That was something new.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/07/16 at 8:48 pm

I was proud of turning 10 because double digits! At 13 I wasn't that excited to be a teenager nor did I feel much different from 12. My teenage years as a whole felt like they all just blended together until I was done with school, then that was a whole different world. Turning 20 wasn't Earth shattering either. I secretly wished to still be 19. 21 was more significant because I went to my first nightclub that year and bar. That was something new.

Thanks for sharing your experiences! Yeah, 13 didn't feel any different from 12 to me either. In fact, 13 felt the same as the second half of 11 and 12 to me. My high school years were my core teen years.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/07/16 at 9:34 pm

Certainly I can't be the only one who feels this way.  :-\\

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ec/bc/de/ecbcde4b85adb70bbd7391d7a89f3670.jpg

Written By: Howard on 01/08/16 at 7:28 am

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ec/bc/de/ecbcde4b85adb70bbd7391d7a89f3670.jpg

That's how I feel sometimes.

Written By: Ripley on 01/08/16 at 9:04 am

LOL yes!  I'm 30 and when I talk to the youngsters, yes I say it proudly  ;D, I just want to walk away from them!  Really, I have always been mature for my age.  When I was young I always preferred hanging out with older people.  I have had plenty of friends close to my age but for the most part I would rather talk to some 10 years older.  That may sound sad, but even people my age are immature.  My best friend though is a couple years younger and is also really mature. My fiance is close to my age too.  But yeah I feel the same as this meme and I'm a decade younger!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/08/16 at 11:24 am

A yup!

Cat

Written By: 2001 on 01/08/16 at 12:14 pm

I feel strangely the opposite, like a kid that's just pretending to be an adult. I see my 10-year old sisters doing general kid stuff and sometimes they get scolded for being immature or making mistakes, and I feel like when I do those things everyone ignores them because "oh, we all make mistakes sometimes" or "he's just having one of those moments".

The difference between a kid and an adult is impulse control, but we both still have the same impulses ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/08/16 at 12:49 pm

I feel strangely the opposite, like a kid that's just pretending to be an adult.

Hell, I stlll feel that way sometimes. :P

Written By: 80sfan on 01/08/16 at 2:46 pm

Anybody want to watch me ride a small bicycle while rubbing lotion on my face?  :D  :D  :D

Written By: 80sfan on 01/08/16 at 2:47 pm

I do fear getting older, but I'm more comfortable with those over 30 than those under 30, even when I was a lot younger.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/08/16 at 3:06 pm

Things have changed a lot since the days when telling someone how old you are was taboo.  I don't care if people know that I'm 39 going on 40.  It's all a state of mind as far as that goes.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/08/16 at 3:07 pm

http://cdn.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/1344980342034_6202375.png

Written By: Howard on 01/08/16 at 3:18 pm

My best friend though is a couple years younger and is also really mature.

My friend is going to be 44 this year and sometimes he acts like a goofball.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 01/08/16 at 3:19 pm

Anybody want to watch me ride a small bicycle while rubbing lotion on my face?  :D  :D  :D

No!

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/08/16 at 3:21 pm

Oh go on!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/08/16 at 5:45 pm

I do fear getting older, but I'm more comfortable with those over 30 than those under 30, even when I was a lot younger.

I have always gotten along with people who are older but I have a theory about that (in my case, anyway). I am the youngest in my family so all my sibs-even my cousins are all older. I am also at the end of the baby boomers so most people in my generation are all older.

Cat

Written By: 2001 on 01/08/16 at 6:09 pm

I'll see myself out Mr. Squarepants  :\'(

My friends are usually between 19 - 31, with the main smattering in 20 - 26. My main interests are things like tech, quantified self, programming, Internet of Things/automation,  Linux, handheld gaming etc. so it makes sense, pretty much only Millennials are into that stuff.

Online, I have eFriends as old as people in their 70s though. I used to have a journal at a language learning site and it reached some notoriety there because I updated everyday consistently and made a lot of progress, I guess a lot of people got inspired. A lot still follow me on Twitter. The median age in that forum was very high.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/08/16 at 6:47 pm

I don't think I've grown out of anything ever since I discovered Beavis and Butthead, Green Day and The Offspring. When I was a kid I thought I was gonna grow older and listen to classical music because "that's what all old people do" but here I am, 33 years old and still listening to the same Pop Punk I did at 13. The only difference between then and now is that I am embarrass myself slightly less in public.

Written By: Howard on 01/09/16 at 7:16 am

My friends are usually between 19 - 31, with the main smattering in 20 - 26.

My friends that I have are between the ages of 40-50 years old.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/09/16 at 1:16 pm

I don't think I've grown out of anything ever since I discovered Beavis and Butthead, Green Day and The Offspring. When I was a kid I thought I was gonna grow older and listen to classical music because "that's what all old people do" but here I am, 33 years old and still listening to the same Pop Punk I did at 13. The only difference between then and now is that I am embarrass myself slightly less in public.

There was one time, one of my best friends & I were in a grocery store and we were trying to one-up each other on who had the cheesiest music in their library. We made is sound like we were so proud that we owned that music.

Her: I have the Bay City Rollers.

Me: Well, I have Barry Manilow.

Her: I have Leif Garret.

Me: I have the Partridge Family-SO THERE!!

And we went on.

We glanced around and saw people laughing at us. We wondered how many of those people laughing had the same music in their own libraries.  ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 01/09/16 at 1:20 pm

My friends are usually between 19 - 31, with the main smattering in 20 - 26. My main interests are things like tech, quantified self, programming, Internet of Things/automation,  Linux, handheld gaming etc. so it makes sense, pretty much only Millennials are into that stuff.

Online, I have eFriends as old as people in their 70s though. I used to have a journal at a language learning site and it reached some notoriety there because I updated everyday consistently and made a lot of progress, I guess a lot of people got inspired. A lot still follow me on Twitter. The median age in that forum was very high.

I'm not bigoted though, LOL. I do/can get along with a lot of people, I just meant in general I talk to those over 30 more easily than those under.  8)

Written By: 80sfan on 01/09/16 at 1:21 pm

http://cdn.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/1344980342034_6202375.png

Is that Tom Cruise?

Written By: 80sfan on 01/09/16 at 1:21 pm

No!

Okay!

Written By: 80sfan on 01/09/16 at 1:22 pm

Oh go on!

I've ran out of lotion.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/09/16 at 1:35 pm

Plus, I talk fine with younger people here!

Written By: Ripley on 01/09/16 at 1:43 pm

Is that Tom Cruise?

Its his dobleganger

Written By: Ripley on 01/09/16 at 1:44 pm

I've ran out of lotion.

Well how about butter, will that suffice?

Written By: 80sfan on 01/09/16 at 1:55 pm

Its his dobleganger

;D

Written By: 80sfan on 01/09/16 at 1:56 pm

Well how about butter, will that suffice?

Well, that's a slippery slope.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/09/16 at 4:04 pm

You young whippersnappers don't know how it was like. We had to walk 10 miles to school in 6 feet of snow uphill both ways barefooted. We didn't have the internet. If we wanted to communicate with anyone, we had to tie a string to two tin cans. T.V. was only 4 channels and we didn't even have a remote. If we wanted to change the channel, we had to (gasp) get up and walk over to the T.V. to change it. And it was black & white. There was no such thing as HD.

I'm going to go back to my rocking chair after I chase those kids off of my lawn.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 01/09/16 at 4:17 pm

You young whippersnappers don't know how it was like. We had to walk 10 miles to school in 6 feet of snow uphill both ways barefooted. We didn't have the internet. If we wanted to communicate with anyone, we had to tie a string to two tin cans. T.V. was only 4 channels and we didn't even have a remote. If we wanted to change the channel, we had to (gasp) get up and walk over to the T.V. to change it. And it was black & white. There was no such thing as HD.

I'm going to go back to my rocking chair after I chase those kids off of my lawn.

Cat

Was Jazz popular music in your day?  ???

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/09/16 at 4:26 pm

You're putting me on? LOL! ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/09/16 at 4:37 pm

Was Jazz popular music in your day?  ???

Yes-Louis Armstrong, Dave Brubeck, Vince Guaraldi, Miles Davis, etc. etc.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 01/09/16 at 4:38 pm

You're putting me on? LOL! ;D

;D

Written By: 80sfan on 01/09/16 at 4:41 pm

Yes-Louis Armstrong, Dave Brubeck, Vince Guaraldi, Miles Davis, etc. etc.

Cat

I miss horse carriages.

Written By: Howard on 01/09/16 at 5:42 pm

Is that Tom Cruise?

No but it does look like him.

Written By: Brian06 on 02/08/16 at 6:21 pm

Nah it gets better as you get older. I turn 29 in May and I still feel young but not VERY young anymore, I definitely relate more to 30 somethings now than the late teens-early 20s crowd. But as I get older I get more secure and confident, I'd never want to be 18 again. I'm just coming into my own now. 30 is the new 20.  ;)

Written By: Howard on 02/09/16 at 4:27 pm

Nah it gets better as you get older. I turn 29 in May and I still feel young but not VERY young anymore, I definitely relate more to 30 somethings now than the late teens-early 20s crowd. But as I get older I get more secure and confident, I'd never want to be 18 again. I'm just coming into my own now. 30 is the new 20.  ;)

I'm going to be 42 in March.

Check for new replies or respond here...