inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Archive.org

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 11/20/15 at 12:02 pm

Hey, I don't know if you guys know but if you go on archive.org you can type in a website address and then it comes up with snapshots of what a website was like through the years. It definitely triggers the old nostalgia, that's for sure!

Subject: Re: Archive.org

Written By: Mat1991 on 11/20/15 at 4:36 pm

I know about the site.

It can be fun, but underwhelming, because the website has such a strong limit on how many pages they have archived.

Written By: mqg96 on 11/20/15 at 5:14 pm

Yeah, I've used it many times before. It doesn't archive everything though. I tried archiving the old Planet Hot Wheels site that hasn't been active since 2004, and nothing showed up but an empty black screen.

Written By: #Infinity on 11/20/15 at 5:16 pm

Two of my old forum websites have been gone for a few years each.  I tried using this site to revive the lost pages, but I couldn't get very far.

Written By: Howard on 11/21/15 at 7:27 am

Hey, I don't know if you guys know but if you go on archive.org you can type in a website address and then it comes up with snapshots of what a website was like through the years. It definitely triggers the old nostalgia, that's for sure!

How does this site work?

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 11/21/15 at 12:10 pm

It takes copies of websites throughout the months of a year and then stores them on the database so that people can access them in years to come. If you were expecting a more technical explanation then you'll have to ask someone more clued up on it. It is good for home pages of websites but doesn't have much more in depth. Just nice to go back and see how things were back in the good old days, although it doesn't go as far back as the 90s I don't think, it is mostly useful for the 00s.

Written By: anything on 11/21/15 at 3:55 pm

It doesn't work for anything that relies on Flash or Javascript. Which is most sites, at this point.

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 02/26/16 at 3:33 pm

That is a huge limitation, yes, they keep updating flash and javascript a couple of times per month judging by how many times they prompt me to update my copies. It is a shame they can't find a way around that short of caching every version of flash and javascript ever released.

Written By: Toon on 02/26/16 at 3:37 pm

I love using it to see what popular websites we like in 10+ years ago. Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, Myspace.  And I like using it to when seeing old channel websites like the Toon Disney, Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, Disney Channel, One Saturday Morning, Kids WB etc. And a few other things.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/26/16 at 3:41 pm

I used the website to go on old pages from the 90s to early 2000s. I sometimes use it for nostalgia purposes. The 2000s were really cool for that website.

Written By: SpyroKev on 02/26/16 at 4:01 pm

I remember this site now. I used it only in early 2006 when I was obsessed with Tiny Toon Adventures. I ran across a old Cartoon Network line up with I recall, Ryu and Ken present. I was constantly blown away.

Check for new replies or respond here...