inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: do you feel the mid-2000s is over looked??

Written By: sonic2005 on 11/28/15 at 11:39 am

it seems when most people are discussing the 2000s its always the early or late 00s when it comes to nostalgia people say they miss the early 00s
do you feel like the mid 00s is often left in the shadows??

Subject: Re: do you feel the mid-2000s is over looked??

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 11/28/15 at 3:33 pm

I guess because it came after the early 2000s and before the late 2000s both were impactful time periods for MANY different reasons. The mid 2000s kind a seem in between if you know what I mean! ;D

Written By: SpyroKev on 11/28/15 at 4:34 pm

I say give it more time. Mid 2000s nostalgia will kick in for them once the 2010s end. As I look back 2004-2006, the nostalgia is seriously there. Its odd to me how their nostalgia can skip to the late 2000s when the late 2000s barely had atmosphere.

Written By: Howard on 11/28/15 at 4:57 pm

I say give it more time. Mid 2000s nostalgia will kick in for them once the 2010s end. As I look back 2004-2006, the nostalgia is seriously there. Its odd to me how their nostalgia can skip to the late 2000s when the late 2000s barely had atmosphere.

Yeah, I agree give the nostalgia feel about another 5-10 more years.

Written By: #Infinity on 11/28/15 at 5:09 pm

For one thing, the mid 2000s didn't really have as much of an identifiable feel the way the early and late 2000s did.  They were predominantly defined by transition - post-9/11 patriotism slowly evolved into anti-Bush backlash, 50 Cent and Eminem gradually got overtaken by snap artists like Chris Brown and T-Pain, sixth generation video games slowly got overtaken by seventh generation ones (particularly the DS and XBOX 360 during this period), pop punk slowly made way for pop emo, iPods and iTunes grew more and more popular, and the Web 1.0 gradually transformed into the Web 2.0.  2004 and 2006 were pretty different years; by contrast, 2003 was not so different from late 2001.  I loved 2004 but hated late 2005 and early 2006 (though the late 2000s were an improvement from the latter period).  Sure, the mid 2000s definitely had their key figures, such as Lil' Jon and Lindsay Lohan, but they mostly felt caught in-between two axes of influence (the early 2000s and late 2000s), as opposed to being a solid, coherent era of their own.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/28/15 at 6:38 pm

At the time, the mid-00s seemed to get more attention than the early.

2003-2005. Crunk was everywhere. Rap was in full gear. The recession of the early 00s was over. Myspace was popular.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/28/15 at 7:35 pm

I guess because it came after the early 2000s and before the late 2000s both were impactful time periods for MANY different reasons. The mid 2000s kind a seem in between if you know what I mean! ;D

This.

The mid-00s weren't as significant from a cultural, political, or world events standpoint as the early '00s and late '00s were.  As long as you didn't live in New Orleans in 2005 or as long as you didn't have to fight in Iraq, those years were pretty tranquil.  The country for the most part had moved past 9/11 and was enjoying an economic boom off the back of the real-estate industry.  They were good years, but not real significant.  Looking back in my own life, I often confuse the events of 2005 and 2006 because the two years were so similar and so unremarkable. 

These years definitely had their own culture though and its also where the groundwork was laid for the late '00s and that in itself makes the era significant.

Written By: mqg96 on 11/28/15 at 7:35 pm

At the time, the mid-00s seemed to get more attention than the early.

2003-2005. Crunk was everywhere. Rap was in full gear. The recession of the early 00s was over. Myspace was popular.

The mid 2000's was 2004-2006. Myspace was just getting started in August 2003 and the early 2000's recession still continued throughout most of 2003. Although, I'd still consider 2003 as a transitional year though. 2003 was kinda like half early 2000's and half core 2000's overall.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/28/15 at 7:47 pm

This.

The mid-00s weren't as significant from a cultural, political, or world events standpoint as the early '00s and late '00s were.  As long as you didn't live in New Orleans in 2005 or as long as you didn't have to fight in Iraq, those years were pretty tranquil.  The country for the most part had moved past 9/11 and was enjoying an economic boom off the back of the real-estate industry.  They were good years, but not real significant.  Looking back in my own life, I often confuse the events of 2005 and 2006 because the two years were so similar and so unremarkable. 

These years definitely had their own culture though and its also where the groundwork was laid for the late '00s and that in itself makes the era significant.

Hence why I am starting have a lot of love for the mid 2000's. It was like a dream world before it all started to change (for better and for worse) in the late 2000's. Heck I started noticing a shift around in mid 2007, when the Housing Bubble began to pop and when technology advancement was at an all time fast rate with the announcement of the iPhone, the internet becoming a neccisity as we see it today, social media getting big, HDTVs starting to become common and HD Video Game consoles, cell phones everywhere and texting now huge, etc.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/28/15 at 7:48 pm

The mid 2000's was 2004-2006. Myspace was just getting started in August 2003 and the early 2000's recession still continued throughout most of 2003. Although, I'd still consider 2003 as a transitional year though. 2003 was kinda like half early 2000's and half core 2000's overall.

I agree, 2003 is weird but overall I would consider it more of an early 00's year even though mathematically its more of a hybrid between early/mid 00's

Written By: JordanK1982 on 11/28/15 at 9:44 pm

I can see why someone would say this. All the nostalgia does do to the early 2000's. That being said: 2000-2002 for life!

I noticed a lot of 2003 debate here and since I am such an early 00's enthusiast I'll just give my opinion.
Mostly coming from my personal experience during the year I'd say 2003 was pretty different than 2000-2002 was.

From an American viewpoint, it was the first year without any of the teenybopper stuff. It just barely survived into 2001 and 2002 but you still had the final single and album releases by the big groups except for B2K. I don't remember anything else teen pop related coming out in 2003. In Europe, I'd say 2003 is probably the last year for that stuff.

This is also the year DVD and Broadband overtook Dial Up and DVD which are two things that were very common in the 2000's. It wasn't until 2004 that the ipod overtook the CD Player (to my memory) but it was getting there. There is a 50 Cent video (the name escapes me at the moment) and he is using an ipod at the beginning which to me, looking back it it, it feels like a sign of the times.

My Chemical Romance and Green Day started the recording of two albums that would go on to define what is was to be a rock band in the mid and late 2000's. The fact that they were recording albums this big screams out transition to me. Same with Fall Out Boy. Listen to their "Evening Out With Your Girlfriend" that was released in early 2003. Some songs sound like Pop Punk from 1996 and then listen to their "Take this To Your Grave" from mid 2003. It sounds like the bridge between the Pop Punk me and my friends listened to from 1996-2002 and the stuff coming out from 2004 to now.

Nu Metal was on it's last legs in 2003. It didn't feel like that during the rest of the early 2000's. Being a teen/young adult during the Nu Metal era was funny. I remember seeing Korn on the radio and TV all the god damn time! It was either Korn, Limp Bizkit (yes, even after Wes left they were still referred to as one of the biggest bands of all time), Papa Roach, Linkin Park, System of a Down or Slipknot. That was the main angsty rock music to go to. 2003 is when we started moving away from that. Once 2004 hit, all those bands changed their style (like Papa Roach) or went into hiding (like Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park who did come back in 2007 after a style change).

It's also the last year that Emo meant bands like Jimmy Eat World (who were the very face of emo in 2001 and 2002. You mention Emo and people would say "oh, you mean Jimmy Eat World!") and then it completely changed into what it is known for today around 2004.

Written By: Mat1991 on 11/28/15 at 10:16 pm

The mid '00s were the same years as my junior high and early adolescence, which was a very awkward and difficult time in my life and because of that, I have no nostalgia at all for that period, and I doubt I ever will.

I don't recall being much into the pop culture at the time, either. I did dabble in the beginnings of the anime craze of the time and developed a very strong interest in all things Japanese (probably the only part of the period I might have some nostalgia for), and I liked Green Day and became a huge fan of Degrassi around 2005. Other than that, I didn't care for anything pop culture-wise.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/28/15 at 11:19 pm

Culturally 2004-2006 was, maybe. But it was more like 2003-2006, literally.

2003 wasn't a transition year, at least not to me. 2003 was pretty 00s, if you ask me. By Summer of 2003, the mid-00s was in full swing. Yes, there was probably some sprinkles of 90s, here and there. But 2003 was kind of like 1993, of the 90s to me. Yes, there was some 80s in it ,but it was overall pretty 90s.

50 cent and Beyonce aren't 90s artists to me. Both went solo in 2003.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/29/15 at 11:43 am

I still place 2003 in the early '00s but not the Y2K era.  The year didn't have the teen pop/boy bands, Pokemania, etc that exemplified the Y2K era.  It was still very early '00s however.  Here's why.

Dial-up was still more popular than broadband, despite broadband becoming more popular.  MySpace didn't exist yet and it was still very much a Web 1.0 world.  The crunk and snap rap era was not yet in full swing.  2003 was the last year pop-punk and R&B boy bands like B2K were popular.  Bush was still very popular as the war in Iraq began that year.  Multicam sitcoms were still prevalent that year.  Culturally I would say it definitely belongs with the early '00s but it was the finale.

Written By: #Infinity on 11/29/15 at 12:01 pm

Dial-up was still more popular than broadband, despite broadband becoming more popular.  MySpace didn't exist yet and it was still very much a Web 1.0 world.

MySpace was actually launched in August 2003, though it certainly wasn't a pop cultural force yet.

The crunk and snap rap era was not yet in full swing.

I don't know, the last third of 2003 had both Get Low, as well as Damn!, both of which were top 5 hits (Shake Ya Tailfeather is apparently classified as "crunk" as well, though I personally think it sounds much more early 2000s).  The Neptunes were still the most popular producers at the time, though.

2003 was the last year pop-punk and R&B boy bands like B2K were popular.

I would say 2004 was the last time pop-punk groups were still really successful.  blink-182 didn't break up until 2005 and had one of their biggest songs in 2004 with I Miss You.  There was also Bowling for Soup's 1985, which totally dominated the airwaves that summer, plus Good Charlotte's Predictable and Green Day's American Idiot.  At the same time, 2004 was definitely about the time the mid-late 2000s-style pop-emo trend began to emerge full-force (i.e., Ocean Avenue, Vindicated), so it was clearly transitional, but I'd say pop-punk didn't fully die off until about after the summer of 2005 (after Green Day's Holiday peaked on the charts and when Fall Out Boy and The All-American Rejects became popular).

Otherwise, I agree with your sentiments.  2003 was definitely an early 2000s year, but it was the twilight of the early 2000s.  By the time the year approached its end, pop culture was transforming at a pretty rapid pace.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 11/29/15 at 12:26 pm

I would say 2004 was the last time pop-punk groups were still really successful.  blink-182 didn't break up until 2005 and had one of their biggest songs in 2004 with I Miss You.  There was also Bowling for Soup's 1985, which totally dominated the airwaves that summer; Good Charlotte's Predictable, and Green Day's American Idiot.  At the same time, 2004 was definitely about the time the mid-late 2000s-style pop-emo trend began to emerge full-force (i.e., Ocean Avenue, Vindicated), so it was clearly transitional, but I'd say pop-punk didn't fully die off until about after the summer of 2005 (after Green Day's Holiday peaked on the charts and when Fall Out Boy and The All-American Rejects became popular).

I thought by that he meant the last time Pop Punk bands of the late 90's/early 00's style were popular, which is true. You're kinda right, though. 2004 did have some of the early 00's leftovers but most of the releases had already adapted to the new sound. Vindicated still sounds very late 90s/early 00's emo to me. It's kind of funny because Peter Parker in that video gives off an Emo vibe in that video because of his glasses and everything. I don't know what I'd say about Yellowcard, though. Ocean Avenue is kind of in the middle of both styles. I'd say that maybe the mid 2000's Pop Punk sound was very popular until maybe 2009 or 2010. 21st Century Breakdown was a pretty big hit if I remember correctly.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/29/15 at 12:39 pm

MySpace was actually launched in August 2003, though it certainly wasn't a pop cultural force yet.

MySpace in 2003 was still a file sharing and storage site.  In 2004 it transitioned to being a social networking site

I don't know, the last third of 2003 had both Get Low, as well as Damn!, both of which were top 5 hits (Shake Ya Tailfeather is apparently classified as "crunk" as well, though I personally think it sounds much more early 2000s).  The Neptunes were still the most popular producers at the time, though.

If you want to go all the way back, Bia Bia in 2001 started "crunk."  I agree though in late 2003 it started to pick up steam.  It peaked in 2005 however.  The video below, absolutely, could not be made in 2015 with our current SJW culture.

czpZvVyQN5o

I would say 2004 was the last time pop-punk groups were still really successful.  blink-182 didn't break up until 2005 and had one of their biggest songs in 2004 with I Miss You.  There was also Bowling for Soup's 1985, which totally dominated the airwaves that summer, plus Good Charlotte's Predictable and Green Day's American Idiot.  At the same time, 2004 was definitely about the time the mid-late 2000s-style pop-emo trend began to emerge full-force (i.e., Ocean Avenue, Vindicated), so it was clearly transitional, but I'd say pop-punk didn't fully die off until about after the summer of 2005 (after Green Day's Holiday peaked on the charts and when Fall Out Boy and The All-American Rejects became popular).

Now that I think of it, punk pop did hold on until 2005.  Sum 41 had a pretty popular song in early 2005 and then Green Day was huge that summer. Overall though, the genre really dropped off in popularity in late 2003.  I Miss You and 1985 were never played very much on the radio in my area. They were played some, but they took a back seat to the hip-hop and R&B during the summer of 2004.

The last pop punk song I remember getting serious radio airplay in my area was Punk Rock 101 in the fall of 2003.

Ajq4Ek-jChA

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 11/29/15 at 6:23 pm

Pop-Punk was in an interesting place around this time. 2003 was unquestionably a solid year for the genre, but you could arguably already see the influence of Emo beginning to seep in to it even then. Until the Day I Die by Story of the Year, Blue and Yellow by The Used, and Girl's Not Grey by AFI all reached the top 15 on the Billboard alt charts, and each had a clear "early Emo" vibe. Still there were big "traditional" Pop-Punk hits in '03 too, like Hit That by The Offspring and that Boys of Summer cover by The Ataris.

2004 was the first year that Emo really began to emerge as a cultural force on it's own, even though it wouldn't fully do so until Sugar We're Goin' Down came out in 2005. Vindicated by Dashboard Confessional was a fairly big hit that year thanks to Spider-Man 2, and the other song you mentioned, Ocean Avenue, was nearly inescapable on Modern Rock radio stations. Miss You was the last big hit for Blink-182, and American Idiot could be looked at as sort of a "last gasp" for the Pop-Punk genre in general.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 11/29/15 at 6:45 pm

Pop-Punk was in an interesting place around this time. 2003 was unquestionably a solid year for the genre, but you could arguably already see the influence of Emo beginning to seep in to it even then. Until the Day I Die by Story of the Year, Blue and Yellow by The Used, and Girl's Not Grey by AFI all reached the top 15 on the Billboard alt charts, and each had a clear "early Emo" vibe. Still there were big "traditional" Pop-Punk hits in '03 too, like Hit That by The Offspring and that Boys of Summer cover by The Ataris.

I'd argue that the emo influence was already there by 1996 and moreso in 1997. You already had bands that are pretty much 50/50 on the Emo or Pop Punk scale like the Get Up Kids who got really big around 1999 and then you had bands like the Promise Ring, The Movielife, Saves The Day, Lifetime... I could go on forever. Also, bands like blink-182, The Ataris, The Starting Line, New Found Glory were all Pop Punk bands who had emo influences. On Dude Ranch, Mark Hoppus wrote a song called Emo as a tribute to Jimmy Eat World. New Found Glory also mentioned listening to a lot of emo bands like Jimmy Eat World and The Promise Ring. 

Thing about American Idiot is that album and Three Cheers by My Chemical Romance is that those two albums cemented the new sound and style of Emo and Pop Punk. Things weren't like that before. It was creeping in during 2003 but it was still mostly the old style that I was used to. In 2004 it's like all those genres: Pop Punk, Screamo, Emo and Post-Hardcore just got sucked into this one big thing, went through a style change and make-over and became what everyone now calls Emo Pop.

Written By: #Infinity on 11/29/15 at 7:05 pm

Thing about American Idiot is that album and Three Cheer by My Chemical Romance is that those two albums cemented the new sound and style of Emo and Pop Punk. Things weren't like that before. It was creeping in during 2003 but it was still mostly the old style that I was used to. In 2004 it's like all those genres: Pop Punk, Screamo, Emo and Post-Hardcore just got sucked into this one big thing, went through a style change and make-over and became what everyone now calls Emo Pop.

American Idiot's legacy in rock history is actually rather complicated.  Some of its tracks harken directly back to the mid-late 90s - the title track sounds extremely similar to J.A.R. from the Angus soundtrack from 1995, St. Jimmy resembles a lot of the faster-paced songs from Nimrod, and even Holiday can be vaguely compared to Longview.  However, there are also a bunch of songs that frankly aren't even pop punk at all, like Boulevard of Broken Dreams and Wake Me Up When September Ends, which are easier to simply classify as pop rock or even post-grunge.  What ultimately sets American Idiot apart from Green Day's earlier work, first, are the overtly political lyrics, and second, the rock opera approach that holds the entire album together.  However, neither of these qualities were really that prominent in most pop-punk or emo in the mid-late 2000s; My Chemical Romance composed a lot of songs of a similarly epic quality as the stuff from American Idiot, but for the most part, the radio in 2005-2009 was comprised of straightforward, accessible, relationship-themed pop rock.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 11/29/15 at 7:19 pm

American Idiot's place in rock's development is actually rather complicated.  Some of its tracks harken directly back to the mid-late 90s - the title track sounds extremely similar to J.A.R. from the Angus soundtrack from 1995, St. Jimmy resembles a lot of the faster-paced songs from Nimrod, and even Holiday can be vaguely compared to Longview.  However, there are also a bunch of songs that frankly aren't even pop punk at all, like Boulevard of Broken Dreams and Wake Me Up When September Ends, which are easier to simply classify as pop rock or even post-grunge.  What ultimately sets American Idiot apart from Green Day's earlier work, first, are the overtly political lyrics, and second, the rock opera approach that holds the entire album together.  However, neither of these qualities were really that prominent in most pop-punk or emo in the mid-late 2000s; My Chemical Romance composed a lot of songs of a similarly epic quality as the stuff from American Idiot, but for the most part, the radio in 2005-2009 was comprised of straightforward, accessible, relationship-themed pop rock.

I disagree. The production, the style of singing, the whole way it's put together completely sets it apart from the way nimrod, J.A.R. and Longview were put together. It's very mid-00's to me. The late 90's/early 00's Pop Punk was based off of that "we don't know how to play or sing nor do we care" early Punk attitude from the 70's whereas, in the mid-00's, you had these guys singing like they're in choirs or theater productions. The older bands consisted of dudes who looked and acted like slackers and that attitude showed in their music. Even early Fall Out Boy on Evening Out With Your Girlfriend had that attitude. In the mid-00's, it was all about being dark and gloomy. Tons of make up and tight pants and it was a lot more feminine musically and style wise. It was also very pretentious and serious. Pop Punk wasn't like that before. It was more about having fun back in those days. Even Emo was a lot more fun and less pretentious until 2004 when From First to Last and Aiden came out with their debuts. I agree that those songs aren't Pop Punk but I wouldn't call them Post-Grunge either but that's another discussion. The whole album isn't really political at all except for American Idiot and Holiday (but you do have a point. This marked a change in direction for the band's image. Posturing as political activists). The early Pop Punk bands were a lot more straight forward than the mid-00's bands (they also had a lot more heart in it, too, in my opinion). It was all loud guitars and drums Rock (and there is nothing wrong with that. Quality over quantity and they had the attitude) whereas the mid-00's bands were slower and softer and added a bunch of unnecessary elements into their music.

Written By: #Infinity on 11/29/15 at 7:46 pm

I disagree. The production, the style of singing, the whole way it's put together completely sets it apart from the way nimrod, J.A.R. and Longview were put together. It's very mid-00's to me. The late 90's/early 00's Pop Punk was based off of that "we don't know how to play or sing nor do we care" early Punk attitude from the 70's whereas, in the mid-00's, you had these guys singing like they're in choirs or theater productions.

Lyrically, the song American Idiot is a lot more serious and confrontational than Green Day's older work, but how can't you hear the production similarities between that song and J.A.R.?  The instrumentation, riff style, and chord progression are all remarkably similar between the two tracks.  I wouldn't really say American Idiot sounds a whole lot like Green Day's other mid-90s songs, which had different progressions and more distorted guitars, but at the very least, American Idiot bears an incredible musical resemblance to J.A.R.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 11/29/15 at 7:58 pm

Lyrically, the song American Idiot is a lot more serious and confrontational than Green Day's older work, but how can't you hear the production similarities between that song and J.A.R.?  The instrumentation, riff style, and chord progression are all remarkably similar between the two tracks.  I wouldn't really say American Idiot sounds a whole lot like Green Day's other mid-90s songs, which had different progressions and more distorted guitars, but at the very least, American Idiot bears an incredible musical resemblance to J.A.R.

The production is a lot more raw, dude. I have friends who work in production studios so I've learned quite a bit about this stuff. It's warmer and fuller and less processed like American Idiot was. The musical starts and stops with the faux-megaphone vocals in the verse make the song so pretentious as if these guys are the rally call to a new revolution. J.A.R. was much more straight forward and felt humble, almost. They recorded J.A.R. on tape whereas American Idiot was recorded digitally which adds a big difference to the sound. Also, on J.A.R. it sounds like they are using tube amps as opposed to solid state amps. I know that during this era they would use a lot of 70's tube amps and guitars; I don't think this song is an exception. Billie Joe is still singing like the lazy stoner he was in 1995 and on American Idiot, he was actually trying to "sing". It's also tuned in D# instead of E standard which gives it a less "heavy" sound. Yes, I can hear how a song like American Idiot would stem from a song like J.A.R. or a similar style but they are not the exact same thing. Also, Insomniac is a lot more confrontational than anything off American Idiot was. More in an angry personal way than a political way (political being 2 songs) but still confrontational.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/19/16 at 7:57 pm

Yes, the mid 00s are overlooked.

I've mentioned this before, but it seems that on Facebook and YouTube comments, people like to cram 2004 and 2005 into the "early 00s" definition and don't acknowledge the idea of a "mid 00s" even existing.

Granted, I can sorta see why, as some of the early 2000s culture was still around in those years, and 2005 was also the last good year for cartoons until 2010 (04-05 shows like Megas XLR, Avatar, and Dave the barbarian, I'd say, can stand proudly next to the oil and salt of their departed brothers like Johnny Bravo and Samurai Jack).

The mid-2000s were more than just kid culture. They were also the prime of 50 Cent/G-Unit, Lindsay Lohan, Paris Hilton, Lil Jon, Dance Dance Revolution, the breakthrough of "i" products, huge SUV's like the Escalade and Hummer H2, the peak of DVD's, the "WOMD"-era Iraq War, the peak of the 2000s Housing Bubble, Dave Chappelle, the height of Frat Pack movies, and shows like Arrested Development and The O.C. That said, there are also other kid fads from the period, such as Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire, Teen Titans, That's So Raven, Kim Possible, and Codename: Kids Next Door. The mid-2000s may have been overall pretty transitional, but they certainty weren't without their distinctive trends, either.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/19/16 at 8:43 pm

Yes, the mid 00s are overlooked.

I've mentioned this before, but it seems that on Facebook and YouTube comments, people like to cram 2004 and 2005 into the "early 00s" definition and don't acknowledge the idea of a "mid 00s" even existing.

Granted, I can sorta see why, as some of the early 2000s culture was still around in those years, and 2005 was also the last good year for cartoons until 2010 (04-05 shows like Megas XLR, Avatar, and Dave the barbarian, I'd say, can stand proudly next to the oil and salt of their departed brothers like Johnny Bravo and Samurai Jack).

Those people who just go and comment crap like "the mid 2000s are just like the early 2000s" don't really see a lot of stuff that happened at the time. Hell, even as a kid in the mid 2000s, I could've saw the era more than just cartoons. It was the era where Bush got its backlash, along with the housing bubble taking place. Even if I could vaguely remember seeing my parents watching CNN, it did gave me a feeling when I learned about what Bush's presidency gave to us. Especially outside of the U.S. Along with what Infinity said, the mid 2000s was also a time where VHS tapes finally declined, and people started to get broadband Internet more than dial-up.

Written By: Zelek3 on 07/19/16 at 9:09 pm

But the housing bubble didn't take place until late 2007.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/19/16 at 9:26 pm

It started in 2000 and peaked in 2006. It was well over by 2007, during which the roots of the Great Recession were just starting to unfold.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/19/16 at 9:52 pm

That's when the Great Recession started to rise. There was no sign of the housing bubble by then.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/19/16 at 9:58 pm

The mid-2000s were more than just kid culture. They were also the prime of 50 Cent/G-Unit, Lindsay Lohan, Paris Hilton, Lil Jon, Dance Dance Revolution, the breakthrough of "i" products, huge SUV's like the Escalade and Hummer H2, the peak of DVD's, the "WOMD"-era Iraq War, the peak of the 2000s Housing Bubble, Dave Chappelle, the height of Frat Pack movies, and shows like Arrested Development and The O.C. That said, there are also other kid fads from the period, such as Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire, Teen Titans, That's So Raven, Kim Possible, and Codename: Kids Next Door. The mid-2000s may have been overall pretty transitional, but they certainty weren't without their distinctive trends, either.

Yep, that was my peak childhood in a nutshell. I would mark my 3rd grade year, or the 2004-2005 school year to be the absolute peak of mid 2000's culture. I just really loved how balanced it was.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/19/16 at 9:59 pm

Looking back, 2005 was a fun year for me. Too bad I didn't enjoy it at the time.

Written By: 2001 on 07/19/16 at 10:02 pm

They aren't being overlooked, they are being forgotten. Let it rest. 👀

Lol jk. Anyone remember bird flu and mad cow disease? I was dreaming/nightmaring about this mid 2000s viral video the other night.

S6ag1bIabg0

Written By: #Infinity on 07/19/16 at 10:18 pm

They aren't being overlooked, they are being forgotten. Let it rest. 👀

Lol jk. Anyone remember bird flu and mad cow disease? I was dreaming/nightmaring about this mid 2000s viral video the other night.

S6ag1bIabg0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiRsdT9sehU

This was made in 1996, by the way, well before that video. But as a eurobeat fan in the late 2000s, I at least had something else to think about whenever the phrase popped up.

Written By: 2001 on 07/19/16 at 10:32 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiRsdT9sehU

This was made in 1996, by the way, well before that video. But as a eurobeat fan in the late 2000s, I at least had something else to think about whenever the phrase popped up.

http://i.imgur.com/1o5nh4i.gif

You can't have nightmares over this... can you?

Written By: aja675 on 07/19/16 at 10:33 pm

I thought by that he meant the last time Pop Punk bands of the late 90's/early 00's style were popular, which is true. You're kinda right, though. 2004 did have some of the early 00's leftovers but most of the releases had already adapted to the new sound. Vindicated still sounds very late 90s/early 00's emo to me. It's kind of funny because Peter Parker in that video gives off an Emo vibe in that video because of his glasses and everything. I don't know what I'd say about Yellowcard, though. Ocean Avenue is kind of in the middle of both styles. I'd say that maybe the mid 2000's Pop Punk sound was very popular until maybe 2009 or 2010. 21st Century Breakdown was a pretty big hit if I remember correctly.
Which 2004 songs sound early '00s to you?

Written By: #Infinity on 07/19/16 at 10:42 pm

http://i.imgur.com/1o5nh4i.gif

You can't have nightmares over this... can you?

Actually, the label that produced the song (Hi-NRG Attack) has made hundreds of other tracks that are almost no less crazy than the above. "Mad Cow" simply happens to be the first in their long line of crack trips. Therefore, the song was thankfully in at least somewhat familiar territory to me personally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeLymMWwr-g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eigBT_LE_YU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIjf13GmMTI

You can probably understand now why I lived in such isolation during my early adolescence. I actually have a distinct memory from high school in which a fellow student look at what was on my iPod, and he was totally chortling that there were songs by "Mad Cow" on my playlist. But hey, these tracks still beat garbage like "Walk It Out" and "This Is Why I'm Hot," right? :P

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/19/16 at 11:21 pm

Actually, the label that produced the song (Hi-NRG Attack) has made hundreds of other tracks that are almost no less crazy than the above. "Mad Cow" simply happens to be the first in their long line of crack trips. Therefore, the song was thankfully in at least somewhat familiar territory to me personally.

You can probably understand now why I lived in such isolation during my early adolescence. I actually have a distinct memory from high school in which a fellow student look at what was on my iPod, and he was totally chortling that there were songs by "Mad Cow" on my playlist. But hey, these tracks still beat garbage like "Walk It Out" and "This Is Why I'm Hot," right? :P

Crap like that is why I hated high school. I've had people fun of me just because I wasn't listening to the latest hits that everyone else listened to. But hey I guess the love for some classical Jazz just doesn't exist.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/20/16 at 12:22 am

I was at the peak of my Britney Spears fandom from about 2003 to 2005!  :)

Written By: 2001 on 07/20/16 at 12:44 am

The second song is even scarier than the one you linked before  :-X

These songs sound like some of the songs I played to on Ouendan / Elite Beat Agents and other rhythm games on the DS. Did you dance to these on DDR? ;D

I was at the peak of my Britney Spears fandom from about 2003 to 2005!  :)

I see you looking at me like I'm some kind of freak, why don't you do something?

Shut Up by Simple Plan would be his answer.

Welcome to my life is the best song on that album though  :-X :-X The middle school angst.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/20/16 at 1:40 am

These songs sound like some of the songs I played to on Ouendan / Elite Beat Agents and other rhythm games on the DS. Did you dance to these on DDR? ;D

Well...to sum it up, I discovered them through Super Eurobeat, which I discovered through DDR OSC, an online contest which I discovered through StepMania, which I discovered through Dance Dance Revolution, which I discovered through my sister, who discovered the game to be her 10th birthday present. You'd have to be pretty devoted to your personal niche to get as far as to listen to this craziness on a normal basis.

By the way, about Super Eurobeat...

http://i.imgur.com/nrV5wRd.jpg

Yeah, they've seriously been going on for that long. They put this to shame:

http://cdn.smehost.net/nowmusiccom-ukprod/wp-content/uploads/now-94-underwater2B2-1024x1024.jpg

Even though technically the British Now series has been ongoing since 1983, SEB has rounded up more than twice as many volumes since only 1990.

Written By: 2001 on 07/20/16 at 8:37 pm

Well...to sum it up, I discovered them through Super Eurobeat, which I discovered through DDR OSC, an online contest which I discovered through StepMania, which I discovered through Dance Dance Revolution, which I discovered through my sister, who discovered the game to be her 10th birthday present. You'd have to be pretty devoted to your personal niche to get as far as to listen to this craziness on a normal basis.

By the way, about Super Eurobeat...

http://i.imgur.com/nrV5wRd.jpg

Yeah, they've seriously been going on for that long. They put this to shame:

http://cdn.smehost.net/nowmusiccom-ukprod/wp-content/uploads/now-94-underwater2B2-1024x1024.jpg

Even though technically the British Now series has been ongoing since 1983, SEB has rounded up more than twice as many volumes since only 1990.

Are those compilations? 239 is a lot  :o

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/20/16 at 8:53 pm

Holy cow. I totally remember the bird flu virus that my old teacher in 2006 informed me of, who I really wish I stayed in contact with when she offered.

Damn.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/20/16 at 9:10 pm

It's definitely over looked. I really enjoyed the mid 00s especially for internet culture and technology. My favourite thing about the mid 00s was that technology was fun to use but people weren't as obsessed with it as today. What annoys me the most is people combine it with the early 00s on the internet (mostly YouTube comments I've seen). People say a song from 2006 and 2007 is early 00s and it really makes no sense. But I agree that it is still early. In the future all of 2000s will look retro and nostalgic.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/20/16 at 9:12 pm

2004 is a purely mid 00s year.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/20/16 at 11:12 pm

Are those compilations? 239 is a lot  :o

Yeah, they're compilations. Usually, they were released every month of the school year in Japan, with a popular request countdown megamix released during the summer. The series has slowed down over the past few years, but it's still going on to this day!

Written By: 80sfan on 07/20/16 at 11:31 pm

I see you looking at me like I'm some kind of freak, why don't you do something?

Shut Up by Simple Plan would be his answer.

Welcome to my life is the best song on that album though  :-X :-X The middle school angst.

I had these albums in 2003 to 2005.

http://static.idolator.com/uploads/2013/11/17/Britney-Spears-In-The-Zone-Album.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/7iPfrVPsFMQ/hqdefault.jpg

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/21/16 at 9:33 am

Mid 2000s had its own things that helped it stand out. I guess what happened is that everyone sees the early and late 2000s as more distinct while the mid 2000s just sort of didn't have much of a distinct vibe. But there are a lot of things from the mid 2000s that I enjoy. Only year I didn't care too much for was 2006. But I remember having a good time in 2004-2005.

Written By: aja675 on 07/21/16 at 9:37 am

I've noticed how early Eurobeat songs sounded relatively normal, but Eurobeat later got more unusual.

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/21/16 at 10:31 am

It's definitely over looked. I really enjoyed the mid 00s especially for internet culture and technology. My favourite thing about the mid 00s was that technology was fun to use but people weren't as obsessed with it as today. What annoys me the most is people combine it with the early 00s on the internet (mostly YouTube comments I've seen). People say a song from 2006 and 2007 is early 00s and it really makes no sense. But I agree that it is still early. In the future all of 2000s will look retro and nostalgic.

Technology was exciting then. I miss those flat screen computers. Oh, god. So nostalgic. I say give 2004-2005 more time if not already.

Mid 2000s had its own things that helped it stand out. I guess what happened is that everyone sees the early and late 2000s as more distinct while the mid 2000s just sort of didn't have much of a distinct vibe. But there are a lot of things from the mid 2000s that I enjoy. Only year I didn't care too much for was 2006. But I remember having a good time in 2004-2005.

I didn't exactly enjoy 2006 either. Just early 2006. That was my heartbreak year. 2004-2005 hits the nail.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/21/16 at 10:47 am

Technology was exciting then. I miss those flat screen computers. Oh, god. So nostalgic. I say give 2004-2005 more time if not already.

I didn't exactly enjoy 2006 either. Just early 2006. That was my heartbreak year. 2004-2005 hits the nail.

I only enjoyed early-mid 2006. Whenever I try to remember something from late 2006, it would seem very similar to my early 2007 memories. It's just why I think the 2006-07 school year was pretty lame, but it was still good. If I could rank my elementary school years, it would be like this.

2004-05 (Kindergarten)
2005-06 (1st Grade)
2007-08 (3rd Grade)
2009-10 (5th Grade)
2008-09 (4th Grade)
2006-07 (2nd Grade)

Written By: #Infinity on 07/21/16 at 12:35 pm

I've noticed how early Eurobeat songs sounded relatively normal, but Eurobeat later got more unusual.

Yeah, eurobeat in the 80s was pretty much indistinguishable from your run-of-the-mill SAW productions:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bMCXx5k01Tg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=k-XB1DDiu5c

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aeMl6kEy4KY

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cF1I6wUXqgQ

The former two are regular SAW productions. The latter 2 were both on some of the earliest albums in the Super Eurobeat series.

In the early 90s, eurobeat started to integrate a little more of a house influence:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=A59ZI6kBj1E

http://youtube.com/watch?v=e0jKCKjKyLo

The mid-90s were the first time eurobeat sounded like a completely different and unique genre of music from all other dance subgenera, though its usual pace was still fairly tame and there were still very slight hints of italo disco influence:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-1vgxq25hnM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bnQDYHJ5qNQ

As you can probably tell, "Mad Cow" came out at the very end of the mid-90s era of eurobeat. It was about 1997, when the late 90s era of eurobeat began, that the genre had completed its evolution into the fast-paced zaniness that people know it as from DDR, Initial D, and the like.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zKoX4TLxLEY

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jOmO8VYtHnE

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XCiDuy4mrWU

Written By: bchris02 on 07/21/16 at 1:12 pm

Mid 2000s nostalgia will likely be most popular with mid/late '90s-borns in the 2020s.  It was a great time to be a kid, but wasn't really that significant if you were a teen or an adult.  Most people I know who are nostalgic for that era were children then.

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/21/16 at 1:27 pm

Mid 2000s nostalgia will likely be most popular with mid/late '90s-borns in the 2020s.  It was a great time to be a kid, but wasn't really that significant if you were a teen or an adult.  Most people I know who are nostalgic for that era were children then.

I always figured that the late 2000s was the best time to be a teen. Although I could be wrong on that.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 07/21/16 at 1:28 pm

I notice former emos have a lot of nostalgia for the time.

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/21/16 at 1:32 pm

I notice former emos have a lot of nostalgia for the time.

Probably since the mid 2000s was when being emo was a very popular thing to do. Every since the 2010s the emo trend died out (or at least faded from popularity).

Written By: mqg96 on 07/21/16 at 2:02 pm

I always figured that the late 2000s was the best time to be a teen. Although I could be wrong on that.

The early 2010's was a lot better for being a teen IMO. Movies, music, fashion, and TV shows for the early 2010's were better than the late 2000's. The only quality late 2000's year for being a teen was 2007. 2008 & 2009.... not so much, although, 2008 was a great year for the election and Olympics.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/21/16 at 2:13 pm

I was a teen in the late 00s and it was a great time.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/21/16 at 2:14 pm

The early 2010's was a lot better for being a teen IMO. Movies, music, fashion, and TV shows for the early 2010's were better than the late 2000's. The only quality late 2000's year for being a teen was 2007. 2008 & 2009.... not so much, although, 2008 was a great year for the election and Olympics.

I was also a teen in the early 10s and I much prefered the late 00s personally even though the culture was similar.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/21/16 at 3:54 pm

I thought the late 2000s were better because of how YouTube used to be great back then.

Written By: 2001 on 07/21/16 at 4:16 pm

Close but no cigar. Early 2010s was the best, although being a young adult then was even better so...

I was also a teen in the early 10s and I much prefered the late 00s personally even though the culture was similar.

Eh, maybe 2009 was similar, but being a teen in 2007 and a teen in 2010 were completely different worlds. Being a late 2000s teen was more similar to the mid-2000s to be honest, just more technology.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/21/16 at 4:18 pm

Close but no cigar. Early 2010s was the best, although being a young adult then was even better so...

Being a young adult in the early 2010s is like going for lame stuff, imo.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/21/16 at 4:31 pm

I remember when McDonalds had the slogan "Put a smile on" and this fun jingle.

VySZeoaqTW4

Written By: mqg96 on 07/21/16 at 5:00 pm

I loved the video game culture of the late 2000's though. I miss the Nintendo DS/Lite era, Wii craze, and first half of the XBOX 360 era. Middle school was just a tough time for me, especially 2008 & 2009, although, summer 2009 was a blast for me.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/21/16 at 5:01 pm

VySZeoaqTW4

Holy crap I remember this commercial! It's been eons ago!  :o

Written By: mqg96 on 07/21/16 at 5:06 pm

Honestly I liked the whole numerical late 2000's until mid 2008. Summer to Fall 2008 is when things really started getting rough for me. That was a transitional time not only for the pop culture, but even in my personal life it was the final nail in the coffin for my childhood, but even before then, I was already having struggles as early as Fall 2007 when middle school started. Overall, I still liked the early 2010's better. I miss all of elementary school and most of high school. I don't miss middle school at all except for the movies, music, and video game culture. I'll admit 8th grade was ok, but that's about it, still not perfect. I'd take the late 2000's ANY DAY over this current mid 2010's era and it's not even close.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/21/16 at 5:32 pm

I just realized I should have put that ad in the early 2000s thread. Oh well.  ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/21/16 at 5:48 pm

VySZeoaqTW4

That ad seems familiar. Even then, I miss when Ronald McDonald was still McDonald's mascot. Now they have that creepy Happy Meal box as a way to advertise towards kids. Who really thought it was a good idea to do that? Who?

Written By: #Infinity on 07/21/16 at 5:49 pm

Personally, I liked their late 90s slogan the most:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XHGmYlPmsF0

Written By: #Infinity on 07/21/16 at 5:51 pm

That ad seems familiar. Even then, I miss when Ronald McDonald was still McDonald's mascot. Now they have that creepy Happy Meal box as a way to advertise towards kids. Who really thought it was a good idea to do that? Who?

Wait, they got rid of Ronald McDonald? How did I not know about that? He still appears on the outer doors of my local McDonalds's.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/21/16 at 5:56 pm

Personally, I liked their late 90s slogan the most:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XHGmYlPmsF0

I know the early-mid 2000s had the same design for their foods, but I really miss when their packaging looked this.

http://img.oola.com/slides/1/6/6/4/5/4/1664543043/b1af9277762112d428c2755f27192aa7038343b3.png

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/21/16 at 5:58 pm

Wait, they got rid of Ronald McDonald? How did I not know about that? He still appears on the outer doors of my local McDonalds's.

I meant that he doesn't really appear at most of McDonald's commercials anymore.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/21/16 at 6:32 pm

Commercial wise yes, it happened a couple years ago. It's heartbreaking because he was the main classic McDonald's character everyone remembered. They already took away Grimace, Hamburglar, and Birdie the Early Bird several years back, but now they get rid of the main mascot who gave kids of many generations excitement for several years.

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/media/img/posts/2014/05/happymain/484136e07.jpg

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/21/16 at 6:38 pm

It was bad when they got rid of the Hamburglar and the other characters in the commercials. It's now bad that they've replaced Ronald himself in the commercials. And now we're stuck with an anthropomorphic Happy Meal...........hey at least the kids love it. Not like grown men/women buy Happy meals anyways unless it's for their kids.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/21/16 at 6:46 pm

It was bad when they got rid of the Hamburglar and the other characters in the commercials. It's now bad that they've replaced Ronald himself in the commercials. And now we're stuck with an anthropomorphic Happy Meal...........hey at least the kids love it. Not like grown men/women buy Happy meals anyways unless it's for their kids.

To be fair, at least they still use Ronald McDonald in their print media. Especially in the boxes/cups, where it tells you to throw them out after you were done with it. However, I still miss Ronald when they used him in their commercials.  :\'(

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/21/16 at 6:49 pm

This is a great reaction image

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BpoUoagCEAAtBnn.jpg

For all you know that's probably my own image that I made.  8)

To be fair, at least they still use Ronald McDonald in their print media. Especially in the boxes/cups, where it tells you to throw them out after you were done with it. However, I still miss Ronald when they used him in their commercials.  :\'(

I suppose you're right. Well unless the company is crazy enough to soon replace Ronald for the Happy meal mascots in the print media. But I'll remain hopeful that it won't happen. Ronald has been around since the 1960s so I'm sure he'd stay.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/21/16 at 6:56 pm

This is a great reaction image

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BpoUoagCEAAtBnn.jpg

Meh. I don't hate it to the point where I want to burn one of the Happy Meal boxes. It is creepy, but it's not like it's the spawn of Satan.

I suppose you're right. Well unless the company is crazy enough to soon replace Ronald for the Happy meal mascots in the print media. But I'll remain hopeful that it won't happen. Ronald has been around since the 1960s so I'm sure he'd stay.

I'm pretty sure McDonald's wouldn't get rid of their most beloved and recognizable mascot. That would be like asking for armageddon.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/21/16 at 6:57 pm

Not only did that happen with McDonald's, but Danimals as well. I remember commercials seeing with all the animals together and bringing the characters the drink. Now, you only see the monkey which took the fun out. The monkey himself is not the problem, but the fact he's the only animal in the ad is not a great idea at all.

Commercial wise yes, it happened a couple years ago. It's heartbreaking because he was the main classic McDonald's character everyone remembered. They already took away Grimace, Hamburglar, and Birdie the Early Bird several years back, but now they get rid of the main mascot who gave kids of many generations excitement for several years.

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/media/img/posts/2014/05/happymain/484136e07.jpg
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

WTF? He is creepy.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/21/16 at 7:03 pm

Not only did that happen with McDonald's, but Danimals as well. I remember commercials seeing with all the animals together and bringing the characters the drink. Now, you only see the monkey which took the fun out. The monkey himself is not the problem, but the fact he's the only animal in the ad is not a great idea at all.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I wasn't really a big fan of Danimals, to be honest. Although, I did like the commercials where it had the monkey in them, it didn't persuade me enough to drink their stuff.

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/21/16 at 7:03 pm

"How do we make the commercials more appealing to children?"

"I know lets remove most of the characters"

I swear this is how companies think.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/21/16 at 7:22 pm

They either reduce/take away characters or reboot/replace them with ones who are on high level of cocaine or meth. At least Tony the Tiger and Toucan Sam have stayed clean. Heck even Chester Cheetah hasn't changed much the last several years other than making him CGI around the late 2000's.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/21/16 at 7:26 pm

How did we go from classic characters to THIS?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/44/Annoying-orange-logo.png

http://sevenscribes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/goodburger-1.png

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/21/16 at 7:37 pm

I think it has to deal with people trying to use newer technology to make more characters. Although, it just seems really weird whenever they put simple-looking faces to inanimate objects. Not that I hate it so much, but it doesn't seem as cute as The Brave Little Toaster, where its character designs seem really unique for that style.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/21/16 at 7:37 pm

To be fair, I guess the McDonald's mascots
we're basically these:

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/villains/images/6/67/Pennywise_Evil_Grin.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130511222536

http://guidesarchive.ign.com/guides/9846/images/grimer.gif

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/WVFnAardLVc/hqdefault.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/1/15016/1555783-images__12_.jpg

Written By: #Infinity on 07/21/16 at 7:41 pm

I think it has to deal with people trying to use newer technology to make more characters. Although, it just seems really weird whenever they put simple-looking faces to inanimate objects. Not that I hate it so much, but it doesn't seem as cute as The Brave Little Toaster, where its character designs seem really unique for that style.

At least the character models in The Brave Little Toaster didn't have blank, creepy golfball eyes or giant, oversized smiles, not to mention they're weren't designed in a quasi-realistic manner. The Brave Little Toaster, of course, is a scary movie in its own right, but not simply for the main character designs.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/21/16 at 7:46 pm

At least the character models in The Brave Little Toaster didn't have blank, creepy golfball eyes or giant, oversized smiles, not to mention they're weren't designed in a quasi-realistic manner. The Brave Little Toaster, of course, is a scary movie in its own right, but not simply for the main character designs.

Yeah. It was a bit scary for little kids back in the 80s and 90s, but it wasn't that bad. I mean, I could've watched The Brave Little Toaster as a kid back then, and I wouldn't be worried about having that much night terrors compared to the trend of oversized smiles and shiny golfball eyes.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/21/16 at 7:56 pm

They already made him cgi in 2003.

However, in 2008, they gave him a Mid-Atlantic accent and the commercials took on a more "adult" feel.

Oh my bad, I was talking about these old bag designs how they were more cartoonish before they gave him the CGI look on the bags. When they changed his accent and gave him a more adult feel, that was around the same time they changed the bag designs to how it looks today.

http://www.wackypackages.org/realproductsscans/2005/cheetos.jpg http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb137/xxnessbessxx/cheetos200.jpg http://www.taquitos.net/im/sn/Cheetos-Puffs.jpg http://www.taquitos.net/im/sn/cheetostwisted.jpg

Written By: mqg96 on 07/21/16 at 8:07 pm

Any of y'all remember this LMAO!  ;D

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3317/1111/1600/cheetoslost.jpg

i7cKKRwwdWY

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/21/16 at 8:12 pm

i7cKKRwwdWY

I could vaguely remember this (probably because I barely watched any Cheetos commercials as a kid), but the commercial felt very mid 2000s. Even for 2006.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/21/16 at 8:22 pm

Along with Sonic, Chester is one of the few "x-treme 90s" characters to survive to the present day and not feel all that dated.

Sonic the Hedgehog has been pretty outdated since 2006, if not even before that.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/21/16 at 8:26 pm

Sonic the Hedgehog has been pretty outdated since 2006, if not even before that.

Sonic used the same plot techniques for its games since 2006. But it just seemed like nobody cared for him anyway. Except for his rabid fans who defend the character, despite not realizing that he's a rehash nowadays.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/21/16 at 8:29 pm

While Sonic really fell off in 2006 according to almost everybody I know on the internet and my personal life, I'm so glad Mario went through a Renaissance Age at the time after it was down throughout the Gamecube/Gameboy Advance era. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like there's more Sonic fans on this forum than Mario fans like me.

Written By: Zelek3 on 07/21/16 at 8:32 pm

I think Sonic fell off in 2005, personally.

The Shadow the Hedgehog game was utter garbage. The controls and the gameplay were bad, and guns and swearing just didn't fit the series at all. That game was the true beginning of the game press making fun of Sonic.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/21/16 at 8:32 pm

Sonic used the same plot techniques for its games since 2006. But it just seemed like nobody cared for him anyway. Except for his rabid fans who defend the character, despite not realizing that he's a rehash nowadays.

It's not that his games are rehashed; if anything, they're anything but. Since 2006, Sonic has been in a relationship with a realistic anime human, been a werewolf, gone on an action fantasy adventure, met his older incarnation, knocked off Super Mario Galaxy, appeared in a Temple Run-like mobile game, gone to the Olympics on multiple occasions, and starred in possibly the worst video game of the 2010s. In a nutshell, the character's identity has been in dire straights because Sega doesn't know how to keep him relevant anymore.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/21/16 at 8:37 pm

While Sonic really fell off in 2006 according to almost everybody I know on the internet and my personal life, I'm so glad Mario went through a Renaissance Age at the time after it was down throughout the Gamecube/Gameboy Advance era. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like there's more Sonic fans on this forum than Mario fans like me.

I never really felt like a Sonic fan throughout my life. Even when I was going through my retro gaming phase at the ages of 8-10, I liked both Mario and Sonic. But I only liked Sonic from its Genesis and GBA trilogies. That and the 2003 anime which was distributed by 4Kids in the U.S. For Mario, I pretty much liked anything from the NES, Game Boy, SNES, N64, GBC, GBA, Gamecube, DS, and the Wii. Although, I think Mario has gone downhill since they released the Wii U. They just use the same 3D gameplay over and over again, which makes a lot of old Nintendo fans distrusting on the company. But to be honest, I wasn't really a big fan of either Sonic and Mario. As you could already tell from the thousands of posts I make, I wasn't really that big on console games. So, it didn't really matter if Sonic or Mario were bad to me.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/21/16 at 8:37 pm

I think Sonic fell off in 2005, personally.

The Shadow the Hedgehog game was utter garbage. The controls and the gameplay were bad, and guns and swearing just didn't fit the series at all. That game was the true beginning of the game press making fun of Sonic.

Eric agrees with this too. I remember him saying how bad Shadow the Hedgehog was before Sonic '06 came out the following year.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/21/16 at 8:39 pm

It's not that his games are rehashed; if anything, they're anything but. Since 2006, Sonic has been in a relationship with a realistic anime human, been a werewolf, gone on an action fantasy adventure, met his older incarnation, knocked off Super Mario Galaxy, appeared in a Temple Run-like mobile game, gone to the Olympics on multiple occasions, and starred in possibly the worst video game of the 2010s. In a nutshell, the character's identity has been in dire straights because Sega doesn't know how to keep him relevant anymore.

Sega doesn't really seem to care towards Sonic that much. I mean, if they truly cared, then we would've have better games for the franchise. Not to mention that the fanbase wouldn't be known as laughingstocks (although they are responsible for making cringy fanart on DA and Tumblr).

Written By: mqg96 on 07/21/16 at 8:42 pm

I never really felt like a Sonic fan throughout my life. Even when I was going through my retro gaming phase at the ages of 8-10, I liked both Mario and Sonic. But I only liked Sonic from its Genesis and GBA trilogies. That and the 2003 anime which was distributed by 4Kids in the U.S. For Mario, I pretty much liked anything from the NES, Game Boy, SNES, N64, GBC, GBA, Gamecube, DS, and the Wii. Although, I think Mario has gone downhill since they released the Wii U. They just use the same 3D gameplay over and over again, which makes a lot of old Nintendo fans distrusting on the company. But to be honest, I wasn't really a big fan of either Sonic and Mario. As you could already tell from the thousands of posts I make, I wasn't really that big on console games. So, it didn't really matter if Sonic or Mario were bad to me.

Mario was addicting af for me, especially from 2006-2010. I was more of a casual/young Mario player from 2003-2005 when I was playing Double Dash and I didn't know what the hell I was doing on Sunshine or Super Mario Advance 2, but once Mario Kart DS and New Super Mario Bros came in 2006 I was extremely hooked. Not only the single player of the games were amazing, but even the local mutiplayer or wi-fi experience was amazing for its time as well. Later on for my 12th birthday in 2008, I got Super Mario Galaxy which was the best 3-D Mario platformer of all time IMO (64 comes close at #2), then in August 2008 I got Mario Kart Wii and the wi-fi was insanely fun on there, then I went on the Wii Virtual Console and downloaded all the classic Mario games from the original Super Mario Bros 1-3, World, and 64. Beat all of them too. I never cared for Sonic growing up, just the style of play, characters, and story-line didn't appeal to me as much as Mario. Mario had more interesting stories. Mario was like a universe and had tons of relatable and interesting characters. Even spin-off franchises like Wario Ware, Donkey Kong Country, or Yoshi's Island.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/21/16 at 8:47 pm

Eric agrees with this too. I remember him saying how bad Shadow the Hedgehog was before Sonic '06 came out the following year.

Sonic 06 was an especially big stab in the heart of Sega fans though because it was supposed to be the franchise's flagship title coming into the seventh generation of gaming, right down to its title reboot and the fact that it was released on the character's 15th anniversary. There was already a large number of terrible Sonic games well before Shadow, like Sonic R and Sonic Blast, for example, but those were just spin-off titles, seen as experiments rather than serious representations of the entire series.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/21/16 at 8:49 pm

Sega doesn't really seem to care towards Sonic that much. I mean, if they truly cared, then we would've have better games for the franchise. Not to mention that the fanbase wouldn't be known as laughingstocks (although they are responsible for making cringy fanart on DA and Tumblr).

How ironic that the advent of Deviant Art occurred simultaneously with the Sonic franchise's fall from grace.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 07/22/16 at 1:17 am

I remember around 1991-1994 when having a Sonic game meant you were the coolest kid on the block. It was really, uhh... "neat-o" at first (to quote Milhouse) but around the time Sonic 3 came out, I was more interested in impressing the girls at school. The girls I knew did not like Sonic the Hedgehog at all... 

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/22/16 at 3:18 am

I can still enjoy Sonic games from to time, but I'm not the biggest Sonic fan. When it came to mascot platformers I was more into series like Crash Bandicoot or Banjo Kazooie. Although if memory serves me correct Sega is supposed to be at San Diego Comic Con 2016 today where they'll show their latest Sonic game.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/22/16 at 6:08 am

How ironic that the advent of Deviant Art occurred simultaneously with the Sonic franchise's fall from grace.

I guess their fans just wanted to be noticed on DA, so they just made fanart with their weirdest fantasies. I know that some of them are sick f*cks, but it's just sad to see them pummeled towards hate. They could've let the franchise go and moved on to something else.

Written By: Howard on 07/22/16 at 7:11 am

I thought the late 2000s were better because of how YouTube used to be great back then.

Those were the days.

Written By: Howard on 07/22/16 at 7:13 am

I think they phased him out because I guess he wasn't appealing to kids anymore. ???

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/22/16 at 7:18 am

To me both late 00s and early 10s were great times to be a teen. I only mentioned late '00s earlier since I was only talking about the 2000s. Pop Culture was pretty interesting around those times with the rise of youtube and social media, to the introduction of smartphones, new celebrities etc etc. There was so much going on that if you were a teen at the time you were able to see experience the culture at the time. 2007-2012/3 seemed had a lot of interesting things going on.

Written By: Howard on 07/22/16 at 7:19 am

I meant that he doesn't really appear at most of McDonald's commercials anymore.

Now it's all about the newer generation with rap jingles in the commercials. ::)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI-xHMM8wXE

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/22/16 at 7:19 am

He still appears around the restaurants in some locations (not in mines sadly), but in the commercials they replaced him with them Anthropomorphic Happy Meals.

Written By: Howard on 07/22/16 at 7:21 am

Why does our generation get pushed aside?  :(

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/22/16 at 7:22 am

They either reduce/take away characters or reboot/replace them with ones who are on high level of cocaine or meth. At least Tony the Tiger and Toucan Sam have stayed clean. Heck even Chester Cheetah hasn't changed much the last several years other than making him CGI around the late 2000's.

HA! Tony and Sam and will their unfortunate moments in the future where they get a rebooted design. Yeah, I find it odd how all they did with Chester was make him 3D. Other than that he's still the same. But I don't have any complaints on that one.

Written By: Howard on 07/22/16 at 7:22 am

Ronald McDonald was a part of us. :(

Written By: Howard on 07/22/16 at 7:24 am

thing is, you have to appeal to a different audience now.

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/22/16 at 7:24 am

Why does our generation get pushed aside?  :(

Guess companies see that they can make more money by just pandering to children. Especially McDonalds. So they think that the new generation won't like what was around for the past 20+ years which is why characters get changed. The changes appeals to kids...............somehow, but it alienates the older crowd.

By 2050 I bet the mascot will just be a walking Mcdonalds Logo. :D

Written By: Howard on 07/22/16 at 7:26 am

He still appears around the restaurants in some locations (not in mines sadly), but in the commercials they replaced him with them Anthropomorphic Happy Meals.

and rap jingles.  ::)

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/22/16 at 7:27 am

It's what apparently appeals to the children. Stick some goftball eyes on something and BAM you got yourself a million dollar making character. The kids won't mind.  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 07/22/16 at 7:27 am

Guess companies see that they can make more money by just pandering to children. Especially McDonalds. So they think that the new generation won't like what was around for the past 20+ years which is why characters get changed. The changes appeals to kids...............somehow, but it alienates the older crowd.

By 2050 I bet the mascot will just be a walking Mcdonalds Logo. :D

our generation over the age of 40 are being phased out.

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/22/16 at 7:28 am

and rap jingles.  ::)

Causes me to cringe.  >:( Trying to be hip with the young kids eh, Mickey Ds?!

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/22/16 at 7:32 am

Looks like something I saw in a nightmare once.  I mean who is the wise guy that thought just adding arms and legs to the mascot would be the best idea? What did kids just not like Ronald?

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/22/16 at 7:33 am

our generation over the age of 40 are being phased out.

Makes me wonder what is the age that people are no longer the focus for pop culture.

Written By: Howard on 07/22/16 at 8:15 am

Causes me to cringe.  >:( Trying to be hip with the young kids eh, Mickey Ds?!

Why don't they let Ronald rap?  ::)

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/22/16 at 8:16 am

Why don't they let Ronald rap?  ::)

Guess kids don't wanna see a clown rapping.  :-\\

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/22/16 at 8:17 am

Looks like something I saw in a nightmare once.  I mean who is the wise guy that thought just adding arms and legs to the mascot would be the best idea? What did kids just not like Ronald?

I don't know how could any kid not like Ronald? He's basically one of the most jolly characters of all time. Not to mention that he gave McDonald's a significant identity towards the fast food industry.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/22/16 at 8:19 am

Now that I think about it, having Ronald rap has got to be way out of character for him.

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/22/16 at 8:21 am

I don't know how could any kid not like Ronald? He's basically one of the most jolly characters of all time. Not to mention that he gave McDonald's a significant identity towards the fast food industry.

Ronald certainly is timeless. Unlike Burger King who had to change their mascots multiple times due to them becoming outdated or just terrible Ronald survived for over around 50 years now. Who knows maybe this is all just a temporary thing. Maybe Ronald will be put back into the spotlight and maybe even add some new characters along with him as well.

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/22/16 at 8:23 am

Now that I think about it, having Ronald rap has got to be way out of character for him.

Well that's the thing about Ronald. He's timeless and jolly. When a character begins to rap that's only because the company wants the character to "hip" and "cool". Something that may work for a while, but then end up making the character look outdated. Ronald never was made to be overly hip and cool or tied to closely to any kind of pop culture which makes him stand the test of time.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/22/16 at 8:33 am

Ronald certainly is timeless. Unlike Burger King who had to change their mascots multiple times due to them becoming outdated or just terrible Ronald survived for over around 50 years now. Who knows maybe this is all just a temporary thing. Maybe Ronald will be put back into the spotlight and maybe even add some new characters along with him as well.

Yeah, Ronald wouldn't be forgotten by a lot of people. Even after he became the mascot for decades, McDonald's wouldn't go and try to make another one for good. That would be disappointing towards long time McDonald's customers.

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/22/16 at 9:03 am

i7cKKRwwdWY

I remember this.

I'm more of a Mario fan than Sonic fan, to. I love the feel most Mario games give off. Its funny because 2005 is when I was at my peak as a Sonic fan. By 06, I just completely didn't care for the series anymore.

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/22/16 at 9:05 am

Actually in the mood for some Sonic games, but I just wish my family didn't take 'em from me. Only Sonic games I have now are Sonic 4 and Sonic Generations.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/22/16 at 9:25 am

I remember this.

I'm more of a Mario fan than Sonic fan, to. I love the feel most Mario games give off. Its funny because 2005 is when I was at my peak as a Sonic fan. By 06, I just completely didn't care for the series anymore.

I also liked some of the mutiplayer battle modes Mario games had, especially from New Super Mario Bros. it brings back soooo many good memories with my cousins.

jsI2Emwi-Sw sKdgcOEpH_o

For honorable mention I'll use this Super Mario Bros 3 multiplayer as an example, it was alright for its time though.

JaVg1swtNLI

Written By: aja675 on 07/22/16 at 9:48 am

I'm reminded of this webshow character:

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTwM_Ue6Aktc6D5nbk0Adn9lFrHGWy5YFt5c8bF6Qc5CBjyAucuxA

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/22/16 at 9:56 am

I'm reminded of this webshow character:

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/rapal/images/7/72/Squarespose.PNG/revision/latest?cb=20160517174045

It looks like that Donald Duck meme that everybody has been rooting for a couple years.

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/22/16 at 10:05 am

It looks like that Donald Duck meme that everybody has been rooting for a couple years.

You mean Dolan?
http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/1307920884001_5950.jpg

Makes me wonder if the two are connected.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/22/16 at 10:09 am

You mean Dolan?

Yeah, I meant Dolan. He had a derpy look on his face. Although, I think he looks a Creepypasta character rather than a meme.

Written By: aja675 on 07/22/16 at 10:15 am

You mean Dolan?

Yeah, it's from a Dolan spinoff. It's from Rapal Dark Res. It's supposed to represent RuPaul when he's not in drag.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/22/16 at 10:18 am

Yeah, it's from a Dolan spinoff. It's from Rapal Dark Res. It's supposed to represent RuPaul when he's not in drag.

Huh. I never know that the guy who made Dolan had more memes.  :-[

Written By: aja675 on 07/22/16 at 10:19 am

Huh. I never know that the guy who made Dolan had more memes.  :-The Nekci Menij Show.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/22/16 at 10:23 am

There are lots of spinoffs made by all kinds of people, such as The Nekci Menij Show.

Daaamn. That's intense.

Written By: Howard on 07/22/16 at 12:36 pm

Makes me wonder what is the age that people are no longer the focus for pop culture.

maybe over the age of 40? ???

Written By: Howard on 07/22/16 at 12:37 pm

He looks creepy.

Written By: Howard on 07/22/16 at 12:40 pm

HA! Tony and Sam and will their unfortunate moments in the future where they get a rebooted design. Yeah, I find it odd how all they did with Chester was make him 3D. Other than that he's still the same. But I don't have any complaints on that one.

But the voices are almost the same except for Tony.

Written By: Howard on 07/22/16 at 12:45 pm

me neither, It would be funny though.

Written By: Howard on 07/22/16 at 12:46 pm

and all the other characters too.

Written By: Howard on 07/22/16 at 12:47 pm

Well that's the thing about Ronald. He's timeless and jolly. When a character begins to rap that's only because the company wants the character to "hip" and "cool". Something that may work for a while, but then end up making the character look outdated. Ronald never was made to be overly hip and cool or tied to closely to any kind of pop culture which makes him stand the test of time.

He was a character that made kids feel good.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/22/16 at 1:51 pm

and all the other characters too.

Well.. I don't know. The other characters just seem like the less-known sidekicks for Ronald McDonald.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 07/23/16 at 12:59 am

Clowns rapping? I guess you aren't familiar with McDonaldz hip new ad campaign that will appeal to the suburban youth.

https://weirdestband.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/icp-fbi.jpg

Get on it dawg cuz dem hoez lik dat big mac
Hamburgler stealin u kno hes got da big sac
Me violent j cookin up sum Mc D'z
N my homie shaggy 2 dope puttin on da extra cheez

Oh look whos at da party itz my homie the SmashMouthSinger
http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/090826/steve-harwell_l.jpg
He brought his homie guy feri dat homie make dem fries bigger
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CAMhl1EWwAE0vRL.jpg
da gattering of da juggaloz we cookin quarter pounderz
yo violent j play dat psychopathic musik louder

Word.

http://people.virginia.edu/~jwz9m/sarcastro/photos/icpmdys.png

Written By: Howard on 07/23/16 at 7:30 am

Well.. I don't know. The other characters just seem like the less-known sidekicks for Ronald McDonald.

You had Hamburglar,http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/ronaldmcdonald/images/0/0f/Imgres.jpeg/revision/latest?cb=20150625050506

Mayor McCheese http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/ronaldmcdonald/images/c/cb/Mayor_McCheese.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150521030414

Grimace http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/ronaldmcdonald/images/a/a9/Grimace.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150601225928

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/23/16 at 8:47 am

Clowns rapping? I guess you aren't familiar with McDonaldz hip new ad campaign that will appeal to the suburban youth.

Word.

Oh gawd! No more hip and cool clowns. Jolly silly clowns is all this world can handle.

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/23/16 at 8:48 am

You had Hamburglar,http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/ronaldmcdonald/images/0/0f/Imgres.jpeg/revision/latest?cb=20150625050506

Mayor McCheese http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/ronaldmcdonald/images/c/cb/Mayor_McCheese.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150521030414

Grimace http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/ronaldmcdonald/images/a/a9/Grimace.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150601225928

I like Hamburgler. He was my favorite. Wonder if kids nowadays know who these characters are.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/23/16 at 8:48 am

Word.

If we seriously have that as an ad for McDonalds, then I'm buying me some burgers.  8)

Written By: aja675 on 07/23/16 at 8:56 am

There are lots of spinoffs made by all kinds of people, such as The Nekci Menij Show.

It's a show about a bunch of cartoonized versions of various popstars who spout off catty insults at each other. Just like The Most Popular Girls in School, it's a quirky animated show about female rivalry.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/23/16 at 11:08 am

Just like The Most Popular Girls in School, it's a quirky animated show about female rivalry.

That show was hilarious but stupid as hell at the same time. The humor kills people's brain cells  ;D

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/23/16 at 12:58 pm

For honorable mention I'll use this Super Mario Bros 3 multiplayer as an example, it was alright for its time though.

JaVg1swtNLI

That mode was unfair even with two players. Me and my brother used to commonly play in 2004.

You had Hamburglar,

Mayor McCheese

Grimace

I remember Mayor McCheese. I actually had a toy, but I recall it as only being his head.

Who remembers Joined Together? The show is so 2004. I always wanted it on Adult Swim.

Written By: Howard on 07/23/16 at 2:04 pm

Oh gawd! No more hip and cool clowns. Jolly silly clowns is all this world can handle.

You can always travel back to the 80's.

Written By: Howard on 07/23/16 at 2:06 pm

I like Hamburgler. He was my favorite. Wonder if kids nowadays know who these characters are.

I really don't think so, maybe the people over the age of 40 would remember them more than the kids of today, they have no idea who the others are.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/23/16 at 2:29 pm

That mode was unfair even with two players. Me and my brother used to commonly play in 2004.

You would have liked the New Super Mario Bros. multiplayer better. It was a lot more fun. A single screen for yourself and 5 different stages you could battle on. Each of them being creative.

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/23/16 at 3:58 pm

I really don't think so, maybe the people over the age of 40 would remember them more than the kids of today, they have no idea who the others are.

With the introduction of that Happy Meal Mascot thing kids will soon no longer have no idea who Ronald McDonald is.  :(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/23/16 at 4:01 pm

With the introduction of that Happy Meal Mascot thing kids will soon no longer have no idea who Ronald McDonald is.  :(

Oh dear god, I don't wanna think about it today's kids not knowing who Ronald McDonald is.  :\'(

Written By: aja675 on 07/23/16 at 7:08 pm

That show was hilarious but stupid as hell at the same time. The humor kills people's brain cells  ;D
I'm really addicted to it right now.

Written By: Howard on 07/24/16 at 2:50 pm

Like they always say kids today were born 2 seconds ago. ::)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/24/16 at 3:20 pm

Like they always say kids today were born 2 seconds ago. ::)

More like newborns.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 07/26/16 at 10:04 pm

If we seriously have that as an ad for McDonalds, then I'm buying me some burgers.  8)

PimpDonaldz. ;)

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/27/16 at 11:21 am

I just realize 2004 was the last year when movie clips played in music video were exciting. This video I don't fully remember that featured Faith Evans rings a bell that played clips of Coach Carter.

Good ol' 2004 :')

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/04/16 at 11:38 pm

Sonic 06 was an especially big stab in the heart of Sega fans though because it was supposed to be the franchise's flagship title coming into the seventh generation of gaming, right down to its title reboot and the fact that it was released on the character's 15th anniversary. There was already a large number of terrible Sonic games well before Shadow, like Sonic R and Sonic Blast, for example, but those were just spin-off titles, seen as experiments rather than serious representations of the entire series.

Yes, but the difference is that most critics and fans didn't give much attention to games like Sonic R and Sonic Blast. Shadow, from what I remember, was a high-priority release that was heavily advertised. Some fans consider it a spinoff, but I think it straddles the line between "main-series" and "spinoff".

With Shadow the Hedgehog, it was different. It was the beginning of Sonic truly being slaughtered by the press and the series' fanbase being split in half, whatnot with the laughable concept of guns and swearing in an E-rated game, the terrible walking-on-ice controls, and the monotonous and repetitive gameplay.

SA1, SA2, and Heroes had all received mixed reactions from fans and critics, but I'd still say Sonic was generally well-liked from 1999 to about 2004. The early 3D games had their flaws, but it was hoped that Sega would iron out the kinks in due time and put together a 3D Sonic that did justice to the 2D titles. That all changed in 2005.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/05/16 at 1:25 am

SA1, SA2, and Heroes had all received mixed reactions from fans and critics, but I'd still say Sonic was generally well-liked from 1999 to about 2004. The early 3D games had their flaws, but it was hoped that Sega would iron out the kinks in due time and put together a 3D Sonic that did justice to the 2D titles. That all changed in 2005.

SA1 and 2 were both widly praised scores wise. Heroes was the one that truly got a mixed reception. But that game kicked ass!!!

Written By: Longaotian00 on 01/30/18 at 12:39 am

Imo, the mid-late 2000s were the absolute worst time for being a teen. The late 2000s itself is just an awful time, 2007 was great, but 2008 & 2009 were just dreadful years for pop culutre. So boring and depressing, and the bad economy made it even worse.

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/30/18 at 12:40 am

The mid 2000s (2004-2006) are my favorite era.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 01/30/18 at 12:41 am

Imo, the mid 2000s are overlooked becaus they were just less significant than the early/late 2000s years. For example, you had 2001 and then 2008 which were particularly changeful and eventful years while not a lot happened in the mid years. Doesn't mean they were any worse, although imo the ealry 00s were by far the best. ;D

Written By: Slim95 on 01/30/18 at 12:43 am

Imo, the mid-late 2000s were the absolute worst time for being a teen. The late 2000s itself is just an awful time, 2007 was great, but 2008 & 2009 were just dreadful years for pop culutre. So boring and depressing, and the bad economy made it even worse.

Not to me. The 2007 - 2009 period was the best time of my personal life by far. That time everything was going so well in my life. But I do agree pop culture sucked in the late 2000s. It wasn't all terrible though.

Check for new replies or respond here...