inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2006 vs. 2008 which year felt like a bigger transition??

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 11/30/15 at 11:56 am

Based off of sonicfan's topic, I want your guy's thoughts on which year felt more changeful. We have all discussed the major cultural shift that happened in 2006, and the impactful shift that occurred in 2008; but which was ultimately bigger.In 2006,Many things from early 00s came to an end such as the 6th gen of video gaming, shows like The West Wing, Malcolm in the Middle, the Bernie Mac Show, That's 70 Show, Will&Grace. MNF premiered on ESPN. Hannah Montana and HSM became the faces of Disney Channel. The backlash against the Bush administration started as well. 2008 saw the financial crisis that lasted a long time,Obama getting elected, HD tv becoming THE standard, facebook overtaking myspace, PS3 started to get some recognition,Lady Gaga and Katy Perry hit it big at the end of the year, electropop was coming in, ringtone rap overtook snap rap,7th generation of video gaming was entering it's all time peak etc. I'll go with 2008 overall, but I wonder what you all think about that!

https://wondersinthedark.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/2006.jpg

http://www.nielsen.com/content/dam/corporate/us/en/newswire/uploads/2008/10/election2008_button2.jpg

Subject: Re: 2006 vs 2008 which year felt like a bigger transition??

Written By: #Infinity on 11/30/15 at 12:32 pm

2008.  Having the economy suddenly plummet, a new President elected to the Oval Office, new technology emerge, and completely different styles of music on the near-horizon are all pretty huge deals.  2006 may have had the mainstream breakthrough of YouTube, Wikipedia, Facebook, PS3, and Wii, but most of them became further established as 2008 progressed and led into 2009.  The autumn of 2006 was the beginning of the cultural late 2000s, but the second half of 2008 was dawning new decade altogether.

Written By: mqg96 on 11/30/15 at 12:38 pm

Nothing tops the changes that happened culturally in all aspects throughout 2008. Politically, worldly, pop culturally in terms of music and shows. Anything from mid 2008 and earlier could debatably be considered as dated now. That's how much of a changing year 2008 was looking back. 2006 was more of a changing year in the pop culture of TV, movies, logos, etc. but there wasn't anything that big politically or music wise that shifted throughout the year. However, 2006 was the transition year out from 6th generation gaming into 7th generation gaming, but that was more late 2006/early 2007.

Written By: mqg96 on 11/30/15 at 12:40 pm

2006 may have had the mainstream breakthrough of YouTube, Wikipedia, Facebook, PS3, and Wii, but most of them became further established as 2008 progressed and led into 2009.  The autumn of 2006 was the beginning of the cultural late 2000s, but the second half of 2008 was dawning new decade altogether.

Yeah, it seemed like the changes that occurred throughout 2006 was the final nail in the coffin for any early 2000's influences leftover, however, most of the stuff that debuted throughout 2006 or got popular in 2007, didn't fully establish itself until 2008, with some exceptions.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/30/15 at 12:47 pm

I am in the minority but I believe 2009 was the big transition year and not 2008.  Culturally 2008 was far more '00s than '10s.  However, the groundwork for the transition began in 2008.  2008 itself though was still an '00s year.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 11/30/15 at 12:53 pm

I am in the minority but I believe 2009 was the big transition year and not 2008.  Culturally 2008 was far more '00s than '10s.  However, the groundwork for the transition began in 2008.  2008 itself though was still an '00s year.

I'd say 2009 was the first year after the shift happened. But 2008 was DEFINITELY a transitional time! It was still FOR THE MOST PART late 2000s, but the later half of the year things felt different.

Written By: #Infinity on 11/30/15 at 12:57 pm

I think 2009 was a more transformative year culturally, but you can't deny that the global mindset was extremely different at the end of 2008 from the beginning, due to things like the economy tanking, Obama getting elected, and music starting to head in a different direction.  2009 was the year that all of late 2008's seeds of change began to really blossom, and so yes, it was a more transitional year culturally, but the transition from the 2000s to the 2010s wasn't just confined to a single year (it began during the latter half of 2008, slowed down around the spring of 2010, and ended conclusively in 2011 with the death of Bin Laden, end of the Iraq War, and sharp decline of non-touchscreen phones).

I'd say 2009 was the first year after the shift happened. But 2008 was DEFINITELY a transitional time! It was still FOR THE MOST PART late 2000s, but the later half of the year things felt different.

bchris definitely has a point, though.  At the beginning of 2009, songs like Single Ladies, Heartless, I Hate This Part, and Keeps Gettin' Better were still dominating the charts alongside Beautiful and Just Dance, not to mention The Office was still in its prime.  By the end of 2009, music was all about Tik Tok, Bad Romance, What'cha Say, Meet Me Halfway, and the like; MySpace was pretty much dead, more and more people were getting iPhones, Glee and Modern Family were the big tv shows of the day, and music videos of all kinds were being uploaded to YouTube via Vevo.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/30/15 at 1:25 pm

bchris definitely has a point, though.  At the beginning of 2009, songs like Single Ladies, Heartless, I Hate This Part, and Keeps Gettin' Better were still dominating the charts alongside Beautiful and Just Dance, not to mention The Office was still in its prime.  By the end of 2009, music was all about Tik Tok, Bad Romance, What'cha Say, Meet Me Halfway, and the like; MySpace was pretty much dead, more and more people were getting iPhones, Glee and Modern Family were the big tv shows of the day, and music videos of all kinds were being uploaded to YouTube via Vevo.

This.

There was a huge difference between early 2009 and late 2009 culturally, much bigger than the difference between early 2008 and late 2008.  While I definitely agree that the seeds of change were planted in 2008 and the broader worldview began to shift, we really didn't see the fruits of those changes culturally until 2009.  I think the 2008-09 TV season was probably the peak season for The Office.

I consider the Obama Presidency to be a '10s thing but the 2008 election to be very '00s, because the entire election and conversation centered around the country's dissatisfaction with then-President Bush, on both foreign policy and economic matters.

Written By: mqg96 on 11/30/15 at 1:44 pm

This.

There was a huge difference between early 2009 and late 2009 culturally, much bigger than the difference between early 2008 and late 2008.  While I definitely agree that the seeds of change were planted in 2008 and the broader worldview began to shift, we really didn't see the fruits of those changes culturally until 2009.  I think the 2008-09 TV season was probably the peak season for The Office.

I consider the Obama Presidency to be a '10s thing but the 2008 election to be very '00s, because the entire election and conversation centered around the country's dissatisfaction with then-President Bush, on both foreign policy and economic matters.

Let's be more specific, a late 00's phenomenon. That's better. A very 00's thing would mean core/mid 00's, or the heart of 2000's culture around 2004-2007. Heck I'd take 2003 as a core 00's year any day over 2008. Early 00's culture and late 00's culture are part of 00's culture, but it isn't extreme 00's though.

Subject: Re: 2006 vs. 2008 which year felt like a bigger transition??

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/05/15 at 10:25 am

I always thought 2005-2008 as one big transional period, which finalized in 2009. In 2005 most of the late 90's influences have faded away, like glam rap and post grunge. In the fall of '05, there started to be less rap and more dance pop, and that trend continued in the years to follow. There were also less reality TV shows than in the early 2000's, and it was the rise of social media with MySpace. It was also the transition from the post-9/11 patriotic and conservative culture to the more liberal culture which got Obama elected, and Bush Jr's approval rating plummeted during this period.

That period reminded me of the 1989-1992 period, both culturally and politically. The difference was that that period was Bush Sr's single term, and it bridged the Reagan era with the Clinton era.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/05/15 at 11:53 am

I always thought 2005-2008 as one big transional period, which finalized in 2009. In 2005 most of the late 90's influences have faded away, like glam rap and post grunge. In the fall of '05, there started to be less rap and more dance pop, and that trend continued in the years to follow. There were also less reality TV shows than in the early 2000's, and it was the rise of social media with MySpace. It was also the transition from the post-9/11 patriotic and conservative culture to the more liberal culture which got Obama elected, and Bush Jr's approval rating plummeted during this period.

That period reminded me of the 1989-1992 period, both culturally and politically. The difference was that that period was Bush Sr's single term, and it bridged the Reagan era with the Clinton era.

I'd say 2006-2008 were THE transitional years, but that's just me! You could honestly say it was the new early 90s period(1990-1992).

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/05/15 at 12:57 pm

Yeah I agree. Also 89-92 was the Bush 41 era while 05-08 was the second term of Bush 43. Plus 89-92 was the peak of Gen X youth culture while 05-08 was the peak of Gen Y youth culture

Written By: ArcticFox on 12/05/15 at 3:02 pm

Yeah I agree. Also 89-92 was the Bush 41 era while 05-08 was the second term of Bush 43. Plus 89-92 was the peak of Gen X youth culture while 05-08 was the peak of Gen Y youth culture

I strongly disagree with this. Bill Clinton's first term, as well as his election year was the peak of Generation X pop culture. Michael Azerrad's 1993 novel Come as You Are: The Story of Nirvana talks about how Nirvana's Nevermind album caused a revolutionary shift in the generational zeitgeist and ended the Baby Boomer's dominance in the musical landscape. Going by your definition, Nevermind's release would have either done nothing or resulted in the end of Gen X. They really were on a roll in Bill Clinton's first term (the flagship President of Generation X) before their empire started to slowly crumble throughout the late '90s when the Spice Girls became popular in January 1997 and continued until the 2000-2001 school year when pop culture was purely millennial. Regardless, Nevermind still had an influence on popular culture even in the late '90s. That's also when more a optimistic mindset became apparent which clashed with the cynicism of the mid '90s. 1988-1991 had plenty of definitive X-culture of it's own because alternative rock and hip-hop were then mainstream trends, but the biggest were still awful hair metal and bland Paula Abdul-style dance pop. 1992-1996 was the pinnacle of Generation X's cultural reign.

Millennials are harder to define because it's a much longer generation than X and the multiple cohorts came of age in such different times. I'll say the pinnacle of Millennial culture starts at either 2006 or 2007 and ends at 2012, so probably 2007-2011. I could include even the present as part of pinnacle Millennial, but 2012-present culture has been more fragmented and balkanized and as a result harder to pinpoint, label, and define.

Written By: #Infinity on 12/05/15 at 3:20 pm

I strongly disagree with this. Bill Clinton's first term, as well as his election year was the peak of Generation X pop culture. Michael Azerrad's 1993 novel Come as You Are: The Story of Nirvana talks about how Nirvana's Nevermind album caused a revolutionary shift in the generational zeitgeist and ended the Baby Boomer's dominance in the musical landscape. Going by your definition, Nevermind's release would have either done nothing or resulted in the end of Gen X. They really were on a roll in Bill Clinton's first term (the flagship President of Generation X) before their empire started to slowly crumble throughout the late '90s when the Spice Girls became popular in January 1997 and continued until the 2000-2001 school year when pop culture was purely millennial. Regardless, Nevermind still had an influence on popular culture even in the late '90s. That's also when more a optimistic mindset became apparent which clashed with the cynicism of the mid '90s. 1988-1991 had plenty of definitive X-culture of it's own because alternative rock and hip-hop were then mainstream trends, but the biggest were still awful hair metal and bland Paula Abdul-style dance pop. 1992-1996 was the pinnacle of Generation X's cultural reign.

80s pop is Boomer music?  I thought the Boomers grew up with the Beatles, Motown, and psychedelic bands in the 60s, and later disco, singer-songwriters, glam rock, and prog rock in the 70s.  The arrival of Duran Duran, Madonna, Pat Benatar, and the like was a pretty disruptive shift in the early 80s that killed off whatever remaining stock the Baby Boomers had on the top 40.  The spirit of Baby Boomer music began to truly die off in 1980 with the murder of John Lennon, while the MTV generation came into full gear soon after.

People nowadays stereotype Generation X as the Nirvana generation who rebelled against Boomer/Silent-sponsored corporatism from the 80s, but they forget that Generation X is really also the MTV Generation.  The channel was pivotal in the cultural shift of the early 1980s, and it was significant again in the early 90s once Smells Like Teen Spirit began circulation.  New wave, hair metal, and hi-nrg were undoubtedly geared towards Generation X, they were just more associated with the older births of that cohort, whereas grunge and gangsta rap represented the later birth years.  It's the same as how the Backstreet Boys and Spice Girls are usually considered to be targeted towards Generation Y the same way Lady Gaga and Kesha are, even though they represent opposite sides of the generation.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/05/15 at 4:49 pm

I'd say both Bush Sr.'s term and Clinton's first term were both the peak of Gen X culture, and George W.'s 2nd term and Obama's first term were both the peak of Gen Y culture.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/05/15 at 7:31 pm

80s pop is Boomer music?  I thought the Boomers grew up with the Beatles, Motown, and psychedelic bands in the 60s, and later disco, singer-songwriters, glam rock, and prog rock in the 70s.  The arrival of Duran Duran, Madonna, Pat Benatar, and the like was a pretty disruptive shift in the early 80s that killed off whatever remaining stock the Baby Boomers had on the top 40.  The spirit of Baby Boomer music began to truly die off in 1980 with the murder of John Lennon, while the MTV generation came into full gear soon after.

People nowadays stereotype Generation X as the Nirvana generation who rebelled against Boomer/Silent-sponsored corporatism from the 80s, but they forget that Generation X is really also the MTV Generation.  The channel was pivotal in the cultural shift of the early 1980s, and it was significant again in the early 90s once Smells Like Teen Spirit began circulation.  New wave, hair metal, and hi-nrg were undoubtedly geared towards Generation X, they were just more associated with the older births of that cohort, whereas grunge and gangsta rap represented the later birth years.  It's the same as how the Backstreet Boys and Spice Girls are usually considered to be targeted towards Generation Y the same way Lady Gaga and Kesha are, even though they represent opposite sides of the generation.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/05/15 at 7:39 pm

I'd say both Bush Sr.'s term and Clinton's first term were both the peak of Gen X culture, and George W.'s 2nd term and Obama's first term were both the peak of Gen Y culture.

Yeah I agree with your category of Gen X. With Gen Y though, the Obama era seems more like late Gen Y/Early Gen Z, basically us the youth of today. Similar to how Clinton was the president during the late Gen X/Early Gen Y era. If we're going by presidential terms then it should look like this:

Reagan's Firts Term 1981-1985: Early Gen X Era - New Wave, Punk, Metal

Reagan's Second Term/HW First Term 1985-1993: Core Gen X Era - Hair Metal, Gangsta Rap, Grunge

Clinton's First Term 1993-1997: Late Gen X era - Gangsta Rap, Grunge/Post Grunge, Britpop

Clinton's Second Term 1997-2001: Early Gen Y Era - Teen Pop, Nu Metal, Party Rap

Bush's Presidency 2001-2009: Core Gen Y Era - Crunk/Snap Rap, Pop Punk, Emo, R&B

Obama's First Term 2009-2013: Late Gen Y Era - Electropop, Dubstep, Ringtone Rap

Obama's Second Term 2013-Present: Early Gen Z Era - EDM, Modern Electropop, Modern Teen Pop

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/06/15 at 8:04 am

I'd say 2006-2008 were THE transitional years, but that's just me! You could honestly say it was the new early 90s period(1990-1992).

That would work. As long as it maintains the 16 year parallel so it can maintain order in the universe, lol

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/06/15 at 10:54 am

That would work. As long as it maintains the 16 year parallel so it can maintain order in the universe, lol

Not only do I think decades repeat themselves 16 years after, but 40 years as well! Some people compared the early 2010s with the early 70s. Guys like arctic hacve compared the mid 2010s withthe mid 70s.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/06/15 at 11:06 am

Yeah I agree with your category of Gen X. With Gen Y though, the Obama era seems more like late Gen Y/Early Gen Z, basically us the youth of today. Similar to how Clinton was the president during the late Gen X/Early Gen Y era. If we're going by presidential terms then it should look like this:

Reagan's Firts Term 1981-1985: Early Gen X Era - New Wave, Punk, Metal

Reagan's Second Term/HW First Term 1985-1993: Core Gen X Era - Hair Metal, Gangsta Rap, Grunge

Clinton's First Term 1993-1997: Late Gen X era - Gangsta Rap, Grunge/Post Grunge, Britpop

Clinton's Second Term 1997-2001: Early Gen Y Era - Teen Pop, Nu Metal, Party Rap

Bush's Presidency 2001-2009: Core Gen Y Era - Crunk/Snap Rap, Pop Punk, Emo, R&B

Obama's First Term 2009-2013: Late Gen Y Era - Electropop, Dubstep, Ringtone Rap

Obama's Second Term 2013-Present: Early Gen Z Era - EDM, Modern Electropop, Modern Teen Pop

IMO
Reagan's First Term 1981-1985: Early Gen X Era - New Wave, Punk, Metal, old school hip hop

Reagan's Second Term 1985-1989: Early/Core Gen X Era - Hair Metal, first wave Golden Age hip hop, tail end of new wave

George HW Bush's Term 1989-1993:Core Gen X- First wave Grunge, Golden Age hip hop,dance and party music

Clinton's First Term 1993-1997: Core/Late Gen X era - West Coast Gangsta Rap, East Coast Hardcore Hip Hop,Grunge/Post Grunge, Britpop

Clinton's Second Term 1997-2001: Tail end of X/Early Gen Y Era - Teen Pop, Nu Metal, Party Rap, Post Grunge

Bush's First Term 2001-2005: Early/Core Gen Y Era - Glam and Bling Bling Rap, Pop Punk, R&B, Post Grunge, some nu metal

Bush's Second Term 2005-2009: Core Gen Y- Emo, Metacore, Crank and Snap Rap

Obama's Second Term 2013-Present: Tail end of Y/Early Gen Z Era - EDM, Modern Electropop, Modern Teen Pop

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/06/15 at 11:59 am

IMO
Reagan's First Term 1981-1985: Early Gen X Era - New Wave, Punk, Metal, old school hip hop

Reagan's Second Term 1985-1989: Early/Core Gen X Era - Hair Metal, first wave Golden Age hip hop, tail end of new wave

George HW Bush's Term 1989-1993:Core Gen X- First wave Grunge, Golden Age hip hop,dance and party music

Clinton's First Term 1993-1997: Core/Late Gen X era - West Coast Gangsta Rap, East Coast Hardcore Hip Hop,Grunge/Post Grunge, Britpop

Clinton's Second Term 1997-2001: Tail end of X/Early Gen Y Era - Teen Pop, Nu Metal, Party Rap, Post Grunge

Bush's First Term 2001-2005: Early/Core Gen Y Era - Glam and Bling Bling Rap, Pop Punk, R&B, Post Grunge, some nu metal

Bush's Second Term 2005-2009: Core Gen Y- Emo, Metacore, Crank and Snap Rap

Obama's Second Term 2013-Present: Tail end of Y/Early Gen Z Era - EDM, Modern Electropop, Modern Teen Pop

Yeah that works as well! All in all I think we could both agree that the pinnacle of Gen X Culture was between 1990-1991 aka the era of Grunge/Golden Age Hip Hop, Start of Gangsta Rap, Tail end of Hair/Glam Metal, Era of Ballads, etc. give or take.

The pinnacle of Gen Y Culture was 2006-2007 aka the era of Crunk/Snap & Party Rap, R&B, Emo Music, Post Grunge, Tail end of Pop Punk, 'Dirty Pop', start of Electropop, early Dubstep, etc. give or take.

Written By: John Titor on 02/02/18 at 1:42 pm

2008, altho the 2000s were feeling distant by even mid 2007

Written By: 80sfan on 02/02/18 at 2:25 pm

2008, obviously.  :P

Written By: John Titor on 02/02/18 at 3:05 pm

2008, obviously.  :P

was quite scary seeing many mall stores close up in November-December 2008, that really intensified the feeling

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 02/03/18 at 9:56 am

was quite scary seeing many mall stores close up in November-December 2008, that really intensified the feeling

I sometimes visit malls just because I know that they will all be gone one day.

I think that it is sad to see them go.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/03/18 at 6:34 pm

WOW I was just reading this thread this week from a google search before it got brought back from the grave. How crazy is that?  :o Anyways 2008, always and forever. Most transformative year of the millennium so far. New president, new music, new fashion, new technology and social media, new singers, the recession, new vibe, and a lot more. 2006 was transitional too, but nowhere near the level of 2008.

Written By: ofkx on 02/04/18 at 11:38 am

sigh

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/07/18 at 3:27 pm

I would say 2008. I mean, I even remember hearing Handlebars by Flobots, Airplanes by M.I.A., and Beautiful Girl by Sean Kingston and thinking to myself that I felt a transition coming on.

Of course I didn’t have the vocabulary to properly describe it at the time, so I merely remarked that the culture seemed to be maturing.

Written By: TwilightPrince16 on 02/08/18 at 4:40 pm

2005/2006 was the start of what I like to call "The Futurism Era", 2008 was the last year of it.

In my opinion, 2008 was more transitional do to the Great Recession and 2008 U.S. Election. The impact of both kinda started 2010s culture.

Written By: 2001 on 02/08/18 at 4:42 pm

2008 obviously. "2006 shift" has got to be the weirdest memes on this board lol.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/08/18 at 6:47 pm

I think the reason people perceive a shift in 2006 is because things had been changing subtly all along since 2002 or so, but they didn't really notice it all until one day they woke up in 2006 and realize all their boy bands had been replaced with emo and their Dreamcast had traded in for a Wii. It's silly, but I think that's what happened. That's how it happened to me.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/08/18 at 11:49 pm

2008 obviously. "2006 shift" has got to be the weirdest memes on this board lol.

Haha no doubt. ;D I do think there was a small shift, but yeah it became a meme lol.

Written By: John Titor on 03/28/18 at 6:02 pm

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 03/30/18 at 10:03 pm

In between them was a bigger shift than either of them; 2007.

2007 is when the 7th gaming generation really came into its zeitgeist with the release of games such as Super Mario Galaxy, Halo 3, and the game that would start the COD-craze, Modern Warfare.
You also had the release of the iPhone in 2007, and you had HDTVs outsell CRTs for the first time. Plus, in December 2007, you had the recession, that's the big one right there.

Written By: 2001 on 03/30/18 at 10:09 pm

In between them was a bigger shift than either of them; 2007.

2007 is when the 7th gaming generation really came into its zeitgeist with the release of games such as Super Mario Galaxy, Halo 3, and the game that would start the COD-craze, Modern Warfare.
You also had the release of the iPhone in 2007, and you had HDTVs outsell CRTs for the first time. Plus, in December 2007, you had the recession, that's the big one right there.

Technically true (the worst kind of true :P) but the recession didn't get as deep as it did until September 2008 when the Lehman Brothers declared bankruptcy and October 2008 when the oil prices crashed. In early-mid 2008, the word 'recession' was not on most people's minds. That, along with Obama's election in November 2008, makes the 2006/2007 shifts look insignificant in comparison. I still think it was 2008 and the events that happened within it that gave birth to the 2010s.

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/30/18 at 10:12 pm

Technically true (the worst kind of true :P) but the recession didn't get as deep as it did until September 2008 when the Lehman Brothers declared bankruptcy and October 2008 when the oil prices crashed. In early-mid 2008, the word 'recession' was not on most people's minds. That, along with Obama's election in November 2008, makes the 2006/2007 shifts look insignificant in comparison. I still think it was 2008 and the events that happened within it that gave birth to the 2010s.

I agree. Not only that, but 2008 was the year music started to change, with electropop becoming more popular, with artists like Lady Gaga, and Obama getting elected. Hell, even my mom and her friends had a Facebook late that year. I don't think any school year I've lived through so far was as transitional as the 2008-2009 school year.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 03/31/18 at 8:33 am

Haha no doubt. ;D I do think there was a small shift, but yeah it became a meme lol.

I think that we can thank Zelek for that meme.

Written By: unicornic on 03/31/18 at 10:48 am

I agree. Not only that, but 2008 was the year music started to change, with electropop becoming more popular, with artists like Lady Gaga, and Obama getting elected. Hell, even my mom and her friends had a Facebook late that year. I don't think any school year I've lived through so far was as transitional as the 2008-2009 school year.

Yes I agree! The little shifts in 2007 don’t even compare to the shifts in 2008 and 2009

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/31/18 at 12:19 pm

Yes I agree! The little shifts in 2007 don’t even compare to the shifts in 2008 and 2009

The 2008-2009 school year was definitely the most transitional school year. It was when electropop became popular, new artists like Drake and Lady Gaga came, Facebook was getting popular, Obama became president, the recession was at its worst. I agree that it does make the shift in 2007 and even 2006 look very small in comparison. The second most transitional year I've lived through was 2013.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 03/31/18 at 12:20 pm

The 2008-2009 school year was definitely the most transitional school year. It was when electropop became popular, new artists like Drake and Lady Gaga came, Facebook was getting popular, Obama became president, the recession was at its worst. I agree that it does make the shift in 2007 and even 2006 look very small in comparison. The second most transitional year I've lived through was 2013.

2007 was more of a technological shift.

2006 was a minor cultural shift.

Late 2008/2009 was a big cultural shift.

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/31/18 at 12:25 pm

2007 was more of a technological shift.

2006 was a minor cultural shift.

Late 2008/2009 was a big cultural shift.

Yeah, I agree. IMO the late 2008/2009 was the most noticeable and biggest shift out of all the three, a lot of people agree that it was the most transitional. I'm not saying all the others weren't transitional, but the late 2008/2009 cultural shift was definitely the most noticeable IMO.

The iPhone may have come out in 2007, but you were in the minority if you had one back then, and not many people were aware of it. The late 2008/2009 shift felt more noticeable because it was a cultural shift which influences music, fashion, etc. which is something people are more likely to notice.

Written By: John Titor on 03/31/18 at 12:27 pm

Yeah, I agree. IMO the late 2008/2009 was the most noticeable and biggest shift out of all the three, a lot of people agree that it was the most transitional. I'm not saying all the others weren't transitional, but the late 2008/2009 cultural shift was definitely the most noticeable IMO.

The late 2006 was so small compared to 2008

Written By: Balty Raven on 03/31/18 at 12:40 pm

The late 2006 was so small compared to 2008

Late 2006 still felt like the mid 2000s. 2008 on the other hand was more transitional due to the recession and Obama's election that happened. By November, it felt like a new era to most people.

Written By: unicornic on 03/31/18 at 12:50 pm

The iPhone may have come out in 2007, but you were in the minority if you had one back then, and not many people were aware of it. The late 2008/2009 shift felt more noticeable because it was a cultural shift which influences music, fashion, etc. which is something people are more likely to notice.

THIS! Thank you!! I wasn’t even aware the IPhone came out back in 2007 but the cultural shift in 2008/2009 was far more noticeable. You don’t have to pay a lot to see what other people are wearing to notice a change in fashion trends or what they were listening to. You didn’t have to pay a lot to listen to music that sounded early 2010s.  Unlike the iPhone which was really expensive and almost nobody had one. Even my parents still owned a flip phone back then.

Written By: bchris02 on 03/31/18 at 1:58 pm

THIS! Thank you!! I wasn’t even aware the IPhone came out back in 2007 but the cultural shift in 2008/2009 was far more noticeable. You don’t have to pay a lot to see what other people are wearing to notice a change in fashion trends or what they were listening to. You didn’t have to pay a lot to listen to music that sounded early 2010s.  Unlike the iPhone which was really expensive and almost nobody had one. Even my parents still owned a flip phone back then.

The iPhone was kind of a geek gadget at the beginning.  That's one thing I miss about the '00s; gadgets that were actually useful.  Today's "geek gadgets" are mostly unnecessary like Apple Watch and Amazon Echo.  Google Glass had a lot of potential and hopefully one day there is another attempt.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/31/18 at 2:03 pm

Apple and geek gadget don't fit into the same sentence.  :P Apple is always about average consumers. As a geek I wouldn't buy from them ever. Instead, I buy smartwatches from Android in it from other manufacturers.

Written By: Balty Raven on 03/31/18 at 2:16 pm

Apple and geek gadget don't fit into the same sentence.  :P Apple is always about average consumers. As a geek I wouldn't buy from them ever. Instead, I buy smartwatches from Android in it from other manufacturers.

Well, they sometimes make computers that enthusiasts could use on a daily basis. In fact, they made an iMac Pro that could have a 4TB SSD, up to 128GB of RAM, and a 4.5GHz processor. Although it does come up to $5000.

https://www.apple.com/imac-pro/

Written By: 2001 on 03/31/18 at 2:35 pm

Back in 2007 though the iPhone was definitely the phone to get for geeks. :P

I agree though, I hate Apple. I bought a Macbook in 2016 after hearing mostly positive things about it and also because I wanted a UNIX operating system to easily transport my Linux Python scripts and it was a huge mistake. MacOS is hot trash. I'm not a fan of Windows either but having a Windows/Linux dual boot is infinitely preferably to a Mac/Linux dual boot which is kind of pointless. Mac is definitely not the OS for geeks, I feel like a toddler with those toy computers from the '90s.  8-P

Pebble was the smartwatch to get for geeks, until it was bought out by Fitbit (which is the opposite of geeky). I was literally looking up ads on Kijiji for a Pebble until the next day when Fitbit announced their takeover and closure of Pebble, I was so disappointed.  :\'( I guess Android are the smartwatches to get for geeks now, you can do a lot of things with it but Imo the $200+ price points make them unnecessary. Pebble was $50 and you could do way more things with it  :(

The gadgets to get for geeks atm are definitely Google Home, Internet of Things devices (various), an Android TV, and just being able to program on your Android phone can get you very far even compared to 2012.

Although I honestly consider myself more of a nerd than a geek. The word geek conjures up images of people who watch Dr. Who and read Superhero comics rather than tech savvy people.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/31/18 at 3:05 pm

Although I honestly consider myself more of a nerd than a geek. The word geek conjures up images of people who watch Dr. Who and read Superhero comics rather than tech savvy people.

I am definitely a geek myself  ;D

Written By: Dr. Mario on 03/31/18 at 3:21 pm

For technological advancements: 2006
Culturally & Politically: 2008

Written By: Balty Raven on 03/31/18 at 4:20 pm

I agree though, I hate Apple. I bought a Macbook in 2016 after hearing mostly positive things about it and also because I wanted a UNIX operating system to easily transport my Linux Python scripts and it was a huge mistake. MacOS is hot trash. I'm not a fan of Windows either but having a Windows/Linux dual boot is infinitely preferably to a Mac/Linux dual boot which is kind of pointless. Mac is definitely not the OS for geeks, I feel like a toddler with those toy computers from the '90s.  8-P

I feel you with Apple products. I used to have an iMac G5 that couldn't run a lot of computer games that I grew up with because they were made for Windows. Also, Mac OS isn't really made for people who like using Linux. It's the most distinct OS made with UNIX's language. If you wanted a UNIX OS, then use Ubuntu or Linux Mint. They seem more efficient than the latest versions of Mac OS X. It also works well with older computers.

Written By: unicornic on 03/31/18 at 4:52 pm

Pebble was the smartwatch to get for geeks, until it was bought out by Fitbit (which is the opposite of geeky). I was literally looking up ads on Kijiji for a Pebble until the next day when Fitbit announced their takeover and closure of Pebble, I was so disappointed.  :\'( I guess Android are the smartwatches to get for geeks now, you can do a lot of things with it but Imo the $200+ price points make them unnecessary. Pebble was $50 and you could do way more things with it  :(

The gadgets to get for geeks atm are definitely Google Home, Internet of Things devices (various), an Android TV, and just being able to program on your Android phone can get you very far even compared to 2012.

Mac in my opinion is so much harder to use than Windows ;D

Written By: unicornic on 03/31/18 at 5:09 pm

The iPhone was kind of a geek gadget at the beginning.  That's one thing I miss about the '00s; gadgets that were actually useful.  Today's "geek gadgets" are mostly unnecessary like Apple Watch and Amazon Echo.  Google Glass had a lot of potential and hopefully one day there is another attempt.

Yes I agree. The 2000s were back when smartphones were actually helping us. Now it’s gone really over the top

Written By: Balty Raven on 03/31/18 at 5:36 pm

Yes I agree. The 2000s were back when smartphones were actually helping us. Now it’s gone really over the top

Smartphones used to be a luxury back in the late 2000s, since everyone was still used of having a flip-phone or a T-Mobile Sidekick. I was amazed when I first saw an iPhone ad back in 2007, since it could easily do stuff like browse the Internet, listen to music, and call people easily on the same device. These were things that could be done well with a desktop/laptop computer at the time and it still does.

Written By: John Titor on 04/11/18 at 2:47 pm

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/11/18 at 6:14 pm

Thanks for reminding us of something that has only been discussed on this forum millions of times.

Written By: John Titor on 04/11/18 at 7:37 pm

Thanks for reminding us of something that has only been discussed on this forum millions of times.

Written By: AnakinSkywanker on 04/30/18 at 1:14 am

2008 I think. It can be clearly linked to the early 10's whereas 2006 can't at all.

Written By: Early2002 on 05/04/18 at 8:07 am

2008 I think. It can be clearly linked to the early 10's whereas 2006 can't at all.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 05/04/18 at 11:26 am

Even 2007, despite the iPhone coming out that year, cannot really be linked with the early 2010's at all.

Written By: Early2002 on 05/04/18 at 11:38 am

Even 2007, despite the iPhone coming out that year, cannot really be linked with the early 2010's at all.

in some ways

in 2007

-Facebook was becoming the #2 social media and was creeping behind Myspace
- PRe Beta Electropop was coming in via Timbaland
- Iphone released
- King of Queen Ends
- Soprano ends

But overall yeah 2007 is hardly linked to the 2010s minus a few things

Written By: Henf89 on 05/27/18 at 4:41 pm

in some ways

in 2007

- Iphone released
- King of Queen Ends
- Soprano ends

2007 was a strongly core 00s year, 08 was enormously transitional, and 09 was legitimate early 10's. Thats basically how I view it anyway.

Written By: piecesof93 on 05/27/18 at 6:31 pm

Not sure why this is a question lol.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/27/18 at 7:21 pm

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/27/18 at 8:14 pm

This
It's because this topic was made in 2015 and it wasn't revived until a few months ago.

Written By: APDCR1990 on 05/27/18 at 8:33 pm

2008 in general.

Written By: LooseBolt on 05/28/18 at 4:26 pm

2007 was a strongly core 00s year, 08 was enormously transitional, and 09 was legitimate early 10's. Thats basically how I view it anyway.

Yup.

Written By: Wobo on 06/01/18 at 10:15 pm

in some ways

in 2007

- Iphone released
- King of Queen Ends
- Soprano ends

Lol wut?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/05/18 at 8:05 pm

Cause both years saw great change, smart one. ::) ;D

Written By: Slim95 on 06/05/18 at 8:36 pm

Think of it this way: 2006 was a transitional year to the late 2000s. 2008 was a transitional year to a new world.           

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/05/18 at 8:36 pm

Think of it this way: 2006 was a transitional year to the late 2000s. 2008 was a transitional year to a new world.           

BINGO slim!! :D

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 06/05/18 at 10:57 pm

I agree man!

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 06/05/18 at 11:01 pm

By the way Eric, its been a minute, how've you been man!?

Theres an interesting thread topic about the year 2007, that was created back in 2015, but was revived this year. We were talking about the big cultural changes of the year of 2007. I was wondering if you wanted to check it out:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=52188.60

You can contribute more to the discussion (be it of the cultural changes or just your opinions of the year 2007 as a whole) if you want :).

Written By: Encoder319 on 06/06/18 at 7:37 pm

I view 2006 like 1996... a transitional year that offered glimpses of the succeeding decade, but also easily one of the most emblematic years of its decade. In 2006, we had:

-YouTube in its infancy
-Primitive social media (Myspace)
-The very beginning of Kim Kardashian
-US housing prices peak and begin to decline

Even 2008 was quite different from the early 10s because social media hadn't really arrived yet.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 06/06/18 at 9:08 pm

2008. I trolled around about the shift that shall not be named, but 2008 was such a huge social, political, and economic upheaval.

The 2006 shift is basically a meme on this forum.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/13/18 at 1:12 am

By the way Eric, its been a minute, how've you been man!?

Theres an interesting thread topic about the year 2007, that was created back in 2015, but was revived this year. We were talking about the big cultural changes of the year of 2007. I was wondering if you wanted to check it out:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=52188.60

You can contribute more to the discussion (be it of the cultural changes or just your opinions of the year 2007 as a whole) if you want :).

There is no need to get that deep into the 2007 disucssion.
Changes did take place that year but did NOT even compare to before and after. NOT EVEN CLOSE.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/13/18 at 1:20 am

There is no need to get that deep into the 2007 disucssion.
Changes did take place that year but did NOT even compare to before and after. NOT EVEN CLOSE.

Agreed. Why are you up so late!?  ;D

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/13/18 at 1:29 am

Agreed. Why are you up so late!?  ;D

Cause I usually stay up,with this late to watch YouTube and continue playing video games. Been doin that for YEARS! :D ;D  I also work late too. ;)

Written By: mqg96 on 06/13/18 at 1:36 am

Cause I usually stay up,with this late to watch YouTube and continue playing video games. Been doin that for YEARS! :D ;D  I also work late too. ;)

See Mondays and Wednesdays I have a summer class (Circuits Analysis) during the evenings from 5-7pm, and during Mondays I'm in the lab until 9pm. 

Check for new replies or respond here...