inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: A big reason why The Mid 2000s had a "DREAMY" Vibe.

Written By: the2001 on 12/08/15 at 7:54 pm

We all know the mid 2000s were a great time, but one thing that gets overlooked during the "mean girls mid 2000s era" is the R&B that
created this DREAMY vibe to the era. Alot of songs on the radio were r&b and were mostly about love and had this dreamy bubble like vibe to them.
Sometimes I think 2004-2006 r&b gets overlooked on here. R&B was everywhere during this time. You walk into the mall and one of these songs would be playing.
The escapism r&b provided is this background comfort, a comfort that the era you were in was not only classic but one you will not forget. 

V9cauvGO8ME

TojOVJel8wo

Subject: Re: A big reason why The Mid 2000s had a "DREAMY" Vibe.

Written By: #Infinity on 12/08/15 at 8:41 pm

"Dreamy" is a bit vague a term to describe contemporary r&b, and I personally don't think it even represents mid 2000s r&b that well.  I'd say songs like Stickwitu, Confessions Pt. II, and Don't Forget About Us epitomize the sound of that era a lot better; they were ultra-slick but also more repetitive and less relaxed than older songs of the genre.  They certainly don't evoke a "dreamy" ambiance.

If any sub-era of r&b had a "dreamy" atmosphere to it, it would definitely have been the mid-90s, especially 1995 in particular.  Songs like Brokenhearted, Someone to Love, Diggin' on You, As I Lay Me Down, and even Freek'n You definitely have surreal, ultra-laid-back soundscapes that make you feel like you're elevating off of the ground.  R&b from a decade later isn't nearly as pillowy.

Written By: the2001 on 12/08/15 at 10:29 pm

"Dreamy" is a bit vague a term to describe contemporary r&b, and I personally don't think it even represents mid 2000s r&b that well.  I'd say songs like Stickwitu, Confessions Pt. II, and Don't Forget About Us epitomize the sound of that era a lot better; they were ultra-slick but also more repetitive and less relaxed than older songs of the genre.  They certainly don't evoke a "dreamy" ambiance.

If any sub-era of r&b had a "dreamy" atmosphere to it, it would definitely have been the mid-90s, especially 1995 in particular.  Songs like Brokenhearted, Someone to Love, Diggin' on You, As I Lay Me Down, and even Freek'n You definitely have surreal, ultra-laid-back soundscapes that make you feel like you're elevating off of the ground.  R&b from a decade later isn't nearly as pillowy.

JOJO wants a word with u

Written By: 80sfan on 12/08/15 at 11:14 pm

Mid-00s music wasn't my cup of tea.

Written By: #Infinity on 12/09/15 at 12:41 am

JOJO wants a word with u

Jojo's hit songs were just standard mid 2000s pop, they weren't r&b in the typical sense.

Written By: mqg96 on 12/09/15 at 2:29 am

The mid 2000's was a dreamy vibe if you were still a kid like me for some stuff, but in reality, 2000-2004 was the only part of the 2000's decade that truly had a dreamy vibe pop culturally in all aspects. Maybe 2005 to an extent but definitely not 2006. People might disagree with me on this one, but I thought that late 2009-mid 2012 had somewhat of a modern dreamy vibe as well pop culturally, at least compared to now. 

Written By: sonikuu on 12/09/15 at 7:22 am

The mid-00s wasn't a dreamy vibe.  That's just nostalgia talking.  I was a teenager at the time too.

To be honest, I actually also think 2009 to 2012 was more "dreamy" by way of comparison, pop culturally at least (let's not speak of the economy).  But that's because my life was very good during those years and I really grew as a person throughout that period.  That's really the crux of it - your own personal life determines how you see an era.  Your life was good in the mid-00s, so you view it as dreamy. 

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/09/15 at 8:21 am

In a economic sense and pop cultural sense it did seem to have a dreamy vibe, but If we're talking about R&B music I always found the entire 1990's and the 2000-2004 period to have been much better for the genre and would definitely give me some good childhood and dreamy vibes.

Written By: SpyroKev on 12/09/15 at 9:04 am

The core mid 2000s, not 2006 though. 2004-2005 did have a dreamy vibe in its own right. I was 14-15 at the time. I don't think you listed the right R&B songs.

Usher & Alicia Keys - My Boo, Destiny's Child - Cater 2 U, Slow Down by Bobby Valentino are songs released then that mainly have dreamy soundings.

All and all, I agree with you.

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 12/09/15 at 11:23 am

For me my personal life influenced how the mid 00s felt. They were my mid teens as well so when I look back they definitely had something of a "dreamy" vibe to them. I just remember being that teenager and now I am this man all of a sudden, except it feels like that rather than 10 years ago. Also when I left school and started community college that was a very exciting time so it felt like I was standing on a cliff edge looking out to the blue sea extending all the way to the horizon. It felt like an opportunistic and exciting time. When I see something from the mid 00s it brings back a lot of nostalgia memories for me.

In terms of music though I hated all of the latest music at the time, I much prefer hardcore rap from the early 90s like Wu-Tang clan. Absolutely hated all of the pop music like Mariah Carey, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera apart from some of the popular rock like Green Day for instance. I really hate R&B or softcore rap. I don't like pop music at all.

I was just listening to some early 90s music and I would describe that as dreamy. Some of the trance/dance and techno stuff feels all weird and other worldly. But not the mid 00s, to me the mid 00s had a very modern and crystal clear vibe to it.

Written By: the2001 on 12/09/15 at 12:54 pm

The mid-00s wasn't a dreamy vibe.  That's just nostalgia talking.  I was a teenager at the time too.

To be honest, I actually also think 2009 to 2012 was more "dreamy" by way of comparison, pop culturally at least (let's not speak of the economy).  But that's because my life was very good during those years and I really grew as a person throughout that period.  That's really the crux of it - your own personal life determines how you see an era.  Your life was good in the mid-00s, so you view it as dreamy.

I was a teen in the mid 2000s, but the era isnt dreamy based on songs alone, the whole climate was very bubbly and pink  (much like Mean Girls)
for anyone in highschool during that time, you will know what I mean. I will also say mid 2010s is better than the 2000s. The mid 2000s werent that great lmao
but it was a dreamy like vibe.

Written By: the2001 on 12/09/15 at 12:56 pm

The core mid 2000s, not 2006 though. 2004-2005 did have a dreamy vibe in its own right. I was 14-15 at the time. I don't think you listed the right R&B songs.

Usher & Alicia Keys - My Boo, Destiny's Child - Cater 2 U, Slow Down by Bobby Valentino are songs released then that mainly have dreamy soundings.

I listened to all r&b songs in the mid 2000s, I watched 106 & park and TRL religiously lol

Written By: Howard on 12/09/15 at 2:41 pm

Mid-00s music wasn't my cup of tea.

me neither.

Written By: bchris02 on 12/09/15 at 4:08 pm

Never heard anybody but you describe the mid 2000s as "dreamy."  I wouldn't describe them as that.  It was a relatively placid time bookended by the early '00s and the turbulent late '00s, but not "dreamy."

R&B was bigger in the mid '00s than it is today, but it was bigger in the late '90s and early '00s.

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/10/15 at 7:42 am

Even the '70s had some very dreamy R&B as well (think Fender Rhodes electric piano sounds), along with '80s/early '90s Quiet Storm (that "fulltines electric piano sound" on the Yamaha DX7). That's sadly lacking nowadays, and I agree that the mid-90s was the last time with a proliferation of "dreamy", escapist R&B before it went "ho". Pablo Cruise, George Benson, solo Smokey Robinson, Quincy Jones, Jeffrey Osborne, Roberta Flack, now THAT's real dreamy R&B music. I honestly appreciated that music more during the mid-00s then the current stuff that felt much more industrial and bustling.

Written By: the2001 on 12/12/15 at 4:09 pm

Never heard anybody but you describe the mid 2000s as "dreamy."  I wouldn't describe them as that.  It was a relatively placid time bookended by the early '00s and the turbulent late '00s, but not "dreamy."

R&B was bigger in the mid '00s than it is today, but it was bigger in the late '90s and early '00s.

I would say R&b was about the same in the mid 2000s as it was in the mid 90s

Written By: the2001 on 12/12/15 at 4:16 pm

Like mid 2000s  (2004,2005 )has the dreamy ass vibe, like every girl wore plush pink outfits, Mean girls is a quick reference point for this, Girls really did dress like this
even if it was not all pink, it was usually baby blue, pink, or brown. I agree with you on 2006 tho its hard to describe 2006 as dreamy.

https://shawglobalnews.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/mg_003.jpg?quality=70&strip=all&w=720&h=413&crop=1

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 12/13/15 at 6:32 am

I remember that fashion. Like the lady in the "my hump" song.

Written By: the2001 on 12/13/15 at 3:00 pm

I remember that fashion. Like the lady in the "my hump" song.

yes

Written By: Slim95 on 12/13/15 at 5:14 pm

What exactly does "dreamy vibe" mean?  ???

Written By: the2001 on 12/13/15 at 5:38 pm

What exactly does "dreamy vibe" mean?  ???

A fantasy land like a dream, mid 2000s gets that label because of the color palate and r&b music at the time.
Color palate includes, pinks,baby blue, brown (think LOUIE VUITTON and Coach bags).

Written By: Slim95 on 12/13/15 at 5:53 pm

Well then I would have to disagree and say Mid 2000s aren't dreamy at all. That's describes 80s a lot more.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/13/15 at 5:56 pm

I'd say the Y2K era, mid 1997-mid 2001, were much more dreamy than the mid 00's, but hey that's just me!

Written By: the2001 on 12/13/15 at 6:01 pm

I'd say the Y2K era, mid 1997-mid 2001, were much more dreamy than the mid 00's, but hey that's just me!

both eras are dreamy, but for me the mid 2000s are more because of that vibe of colors and r&b

Check for new replies or respond here...