inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Kids playing outside in the 10's

Written By: Howard on 01/01/16 at 3:27 pm

I think during the 2010's, kids weren't outside as much as they were in back the 80's,90's, and 00's this is because they were way too in the beginning stages of being technologically obsessed with their electronic gadgets that most of them were home more times than being outside. And a lot of kids weren't outside playing sports and getting exercise, it's more of the teenagers that started getting into their smartphones, iPads and electronics. maybe this is why today's kids are obese?

Subject: Re: Kids playing outside in the 10's

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/01/16 at 4:02 pm

Today's kids don't know what an 'outside' is.

Written By: gibbo on 01/01/16 at 4:32 pm

It's a catch 22 situation. Parents want their kids to be outside more but don't think it's safe anymore. Then they buy them iPads etc because they get bored being inside.

Game over...

Written By: 80sfan on 01/01/16 at 7:17 pm

I'm unsure, internet became really huge by the late 90s. There's still kids playing outside. I have no observation from previous decades before 1990 for a comparison. Were there a lot more back in the 1980's?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 01/01/16 at 7:33 pm

Howard, This thread should be in the 2010s bro! ;D ;D ;D

Written By: muppethammer26 on 01/01/16 at 8:42 pm

Every kid is too busy playing their Xboxes and watching YouTube all day. This is the reason why kids born after 2000 are called the Homeland Generation. Because every kid born in the 21st century have no idea of what the world was like without the internet, video games, mobile phones, tablets, etc.

Written By: 2001 on 01/01/16 at 9:28 pm

My little sister is born 2005, twelve years younger than me. She really does love going outside playing, especially in the summer, it's too bad me and my parents are usually too busy to always go. She plays in the swing in the backyard and rides the bike around the neighbourhood. In the summer when we have more free time we usually go to the park together.

She goes out less often than I did. I had my cousin who is three years older supervise me. Even if he wasn't around, my mom didn't really care, I could just hang out with my friends and we'd supervise each other; she knew all of them. There's really no one around her age to supervise her unfortunately. The other neighbourhood kids aren't always outside.

In winter, pretty much everyone stays inside and plays video games and reads books. No different from the 90s kids really.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/01/16 at 10:55 pm

My little sister is born 2005, twelve years younger than me. She really does love going outside playing, especially in the summer, it's too bad me and my parents are usually too busy to always go. She plays in the swing in the backyard and rides the bike around the neighbourhood. In the summer when we have more free time we usually go to the park together.

She goes out less often than I did. I had my cousin who is three years older supervise me. Even if he wasn't around, my mom didn't really care, I could just hang out with my friends and we'd supervise each other; she knew all of them. There's really no one around her age to supervise her unfortunately. The other neighbourhood kids aren't always outside.

In winter, pretty much everyone stays inside and plays video games and reads books. No different from the 90s kids really.

I do wonder if it's changed as much as we think sometimes. Back in the '90s, we really kinda had to go outside and play because there was only so many times you could play the same levels on Super Mario World or Sonic 3 before you got bored. There was TV of course, but we didn't get cable until 1994, and even then we didn't have that many channels to choose from. Even with the internet in the late '90s, I mean, it was cool, but there really wasn't that much to do online back then once the novelty wore off.

Things have obviously changed alot since then. Today, kids are getting increasingly advanced devices at younger and younger ages. Most 8-year-olds have smartphones infinitely times more powerful than the flip-phone I spent a whole paycheck on back in 2005. Does that necessarily mean they go outside considerably less than we did growing up, though? I don't hang around a whole lot of kids, so it's a question I really can't answer.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/01/16 at 11:02 pm

LOL

Written By: 2001 on 01/02/16 at 1:34 am

I do wonder if it's changed as much as we think sometimes. Back in the '90s, we really kinda had to go outside and play because there was only so many times you could play the same levels on Super Mario World or Sonic 3 before you got bored. There was TV of course, but we didn't get cable until 1994, and even then we didn't have that many channels to choose from. Even with the internet in the late '90s, I mean, it was cool, but there really wasn't that much to do online back then once the novelty wore off.

Things have obviously changed alot since then. Today, kids are getting increasingly advanced devices at younger and younger ages. Most 8-year-olds have smartphones infinitely times more powerful than the flip-phone I spent a whole paycheck on back in 2005. Does that necessarily mean they go outside considerably less than we did growing up, though? I don't hang around a whole lot of kids, so it's a question I really can't answer.

It probably depends on the kid. A person like me who naturally prefers staying indoors, I'd probably stay in forever especially of I'm spoiled  for choice. I think some kids have a natural tendency to want to be outside. They're going to be outside no matter what generation.

Written By: Toon on 01/02/16 at 4:07 am

I had the luxury of living in an area that was right next to a park. I'm not sure if it'll mean much of anything, but back in the '00s that park always had people there. Playing basketball, football, swinging etc. In the '10s I still see people there, but not as much and not as often. On weekends it was always filled up due to it also being right next to a school (they would go to the park instead of the school playground) so you'd find tons of kids, teens, and adults just enjoying themselves. In the early-mid '00s in my neighborhood you either had people who didn't have internet (like myself) or they did, but it was slow. So beside just video games there was never anything else to do inside. Heck I still have old family VHS tapes from summer of 2002-2004 of me and tons of other kids and teens playing in the neighbor (my family likes to record a lot as they find it to be better than just taking pictures).

This is a bit off topic... but does anyone know what popular thing it was for kids to do on the internet back the eary-mid '00s? Even at my school I don't remember seeing kids on computers a lot. Now they did play games on computers, but they weren't using them every second they got.

Anyways in the '10s it's commonly said to be because of things like Ipads, faster 3.0 Internet, and popular social media websites and such that keep kids/teens inside. Not to mention that apparently some parents are afraid of sending their kids outside (this annoys because they're the ones complaining that kids don't play outside anymore). Maybe to fix the issue parents may have to stop giving their kids devices at such young ages and send them outside. When I was younger whenever I got bored inside with nothing to due (between 2000-2006 I lacked internet and in some moments cable and video games and of course I didn't have devices like Iphones or Ipads) I'd just go outside.

Although I will say that not everyone went outside back in the last 2 decades. I think in the '80s a lot of people went outside, but by the '90s and '00s where the internet was popular (not a requirement to have like today, but you had a good amount of people who had it as was a novelty) there was a decline in kids. Nowadays I don't see kids outside as much. Maybe because of parents being over protective of their children and are afraid of sending them to the outside world. Or maybe because children are used to just staying inside and playing with devices to the point where they don't want to do anything else. Maybe it's both. With Web 3.0 and late 2.0 there was tons of stuff to do, but in Web 1.0 and early 2.0 there wasn't much that would really interest a kid except for them poorly made flash games that websites would have (although back in 2003 I found this really awesome Pac-Man clone called "Cruncher". Man I miss that game...I mean who needs Pac-Man when you can have an odd flash game of it ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Here's is a link I found on the matter. It doesn't cover the 2010s, but it does talk about kids going outside in the '90s and '00s. http://www.whitedot.org/issue/iss_story.asp?slug=sedentary%20kids
It starts at 1995 where the decline is said to be and goes onward. Also it's interesting that the use of kids riding around on skateboards and scooters to get around to different places was at their peak in 2001 and 2002. Back then it seemed like everyone had a scooter or skateboard in the early 2000s (I didn't have a skateboard, but I did have a scooter). Also according to some dude in the article things like the N64 in 1996 contributed to kids being inside.......I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/02/16 at 5:23 am

When I was a kid, we all wanted to play outside.. punishment for me was being sent to my room for the day. I really hated that. It was so boring. Was even worse if I could see my friends or cousins outside. We'd ride bikes and scooters, kick soccer balls, have snowball fights in winter.. yadda yadda.

These things have been in terminal decline, but it started way beofore 1995.. obesity rates amongst the US population, including children, has risen every year since the early 1960s. With each passing decade, children are getting less exercise. Children in the 1990s didn't get as much exercise as their parents did in the 1960s, or their older cousins in the 1970s, or their older siblings in the 1980s. The biggest increase in childhood obesity actually occurred from the 1980s to the 1990s. And, of course, it ain't just kids - everyone is fatter now than 50 years ago. Adult obesity has risen more than childhood obesity. A 50 year old in 1965 was much less likely to be obese than a 50 year old in 2015.

I saw a study recently that claimed children today are getting less exercise than in 2005, so the trend is clear.. though interestingly enough I saw a .pdf that stated physical inactivity in children declined between 1998 and 2002, despite the rise in obesity.

I also saw this from the UK, which I found interesting..
http://i.imgur.com/xkKeTIc.png

It's true though, that the Baby Boomers and early Gen Xers were ridiculously paranoid.. my mother admits this herself, she wouldn't let me have as many freedoms as kid as she had in the 1970s. Kids are in no more danger than they were before - but Baby Boomer parents didn't see it like that.

Written By: Howard on 01/02/16 at 6:49 am

especially in 2015 and beyond.

Written By: Howard on 01/02/16 at 6:50 am

It's a catch 22 situation. Parents want their kids to be outside more but don't think it's safe anymore. Then they buy them iPads etc because they get bored being inside.

Game over...

because too many wackos are roaming the streets and the stuff you see in the newspaper and on TV makes one parent feel afraid.

Written By: Howard on 01/02/16 at 6:52 am

I'm unsure, internet became really huge by the late 90s. There's still kids playing outside. I have no observation from previous decades before 1990 for a comparison. Were there a lot more back in the 1980's?

I believe there were a lot of kids being outside during the late 80's, exercising, riding bikes and just having fun.

Written By: Howard on 01/02/16 at 6:53 am

Howard, This thread should be in the 2010s bro! ;D ;D ;D

Can you have someone move this?  ???

Written By: Howard on 01/02/16 at 6:54 am

Every kid is too busy playing their Xboxes and watching YouTube all day. This is the reason why kids born after 2000 are called the Homeland Generation. Because every kid born in the 21st century have no idea of what the world was like without the internet, video games, mobile phones, tablets, etc.

It's because their parents buy them so many electronics that it's gives a reason nowadays to stay at home and become a vegetable. ::)

Written By: Howard on 01/02/16 at 6:58 am

Does that necessarily mean they go outside considerably less than we did growing up, though?

Yes I believe that's the answer. Kids who were born after 2000 grew up with the electronic era.

Written By: 2001 on 01/04/16 at 11:17 pm

I heard this article referenced on the Pollsters podcast.

Obesity rate for young children plummets 43% in a decade - http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/26/health/obesity-rate-for-young-children-plummets-43-in-a-decade.html

Written By: Howard on 01/05/16 at 2:56 pm

I heard this article referenced on the Pollsters podcast.

Obesity rate for young children plummets 43% in a decade - http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/26/health/obesity-rate-for-young-children-plummets-43-in-a-decade.html

and this is the reason why in 2016 we are a fat society, we're too busy with our Roku, Hulu, PS3 and PS4's.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/05/16 at 4:27 pm

and this is the reason why in 2015 we are a fat society, we're too busy with our Roku, Hulu, PS3 and PS4's.

But it's 2016, Howard. :P

Written By: Howard on 01/06/16 at 2:33 pm

But it's 2016, Howard. :P

Sorry I meant 2016, not 15.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/06/16 at 3:03 pm

Sorry I meant 2016, not 15.

Haha, it's ok. We all make mistakes. ;D

Unless, of course... This wasn't a mistake and you're just showing off your expertise in Decadeology by saying that 2015 isn't over yet. Ah, I got ya', man! You couldn't let that one slip past me! ;)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/07/16 at 12:19 pm

I think parents have become a bit too overprotective of their kids.  There has been electronic things for decades.  However we never had our parents schedule "playdates". 

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/07/16 at 12:46 pm

I think parents have become a bit too overprotective of their kids.  There has been electronic things for decades.  However we never had our parents schedule "playdates".

I'm pretty sure people still have playdates, but not that often since kids would just go on Skype and talk to them. Or maybe if they have their phone number, then they'll call them.

Written By: Howard on 02/07/16 at 3:13 pm

I'm pretty sure people still have playdates, but not that often since kids would just go on Skype and talk to them. Or maybe if they have their phone number, then they'll call them.

Skype has been so convenient these days.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/08/16 at 8:03 am

skpe cannot replace riding bikes with the kid down the street every other day.

Written By: gibbo on 02/09/16 at 3:00 am

Surely kids can get an app to replicate playing outside!  ;)

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/09/16 at 3:40 am

Surely kids can get an app to replicate playing outside!  ;)

An outdoor simulator! Perfect for the iDontgooutside Generation!

Written By: Howard on 02/09/16 at 4:18 pm

;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/09/16 at 4:35 pm

When virtual reality takes over kids are never gonna go outside again!

Written By: Howard on 02/09/16 at 6:01 pm

They'll be cooped up.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/09/16 at 6:10 pm

They'll be cooped up.

That's the way kids today like it. Cooped up and coddled.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/09/16 at 6:55 pm

I think we'll need that for kids in the future. lol

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/09/16 at 6:55 pm

And it'll make them fat as hell.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/09/16 at 7:06 pm

And it'll make them fat as hell.

I think the fattening of society has already begun.

Written By: 2001 on 02/09/16 at 7:09 pm

I think we'll need that for kids in the future. lol

When I was a kid I always wished I was born 30 years later. Then I would have a virtual reality simulator, except in that alternate-reality, the Pokemon would be real  8) I'm already jealous of those 2050s kids >:(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/09/16 at 7:14 pm

I think the fattening of society has already begun.

True, although it's not different in America, since a lot of people are obese in the country.

Written By: Toon on 02/09/16 at 7:17 pm

When I was a kid I always wished I was born 30 years later. Then I would have a virtual reality simulator, except in that alternate-reality, the Pokemon would be real  8) I'm already jealous of those 2050s kids >:(

Kids in the future.
http://www.walldevil.com/wallpapers/w07/dystopia-sad-cyberpunk-virtual-reality.jpg
https://despora.de/uploads/images/scaled_full_26b2a515b545ba53b651.jpeg
http://digital-art-gallery.com/oid/69/640x361_12457_Game_over_2d_illustration_still_life_destruction_mood_cyberpunk_virtual_reality_picture_image_digi.jpg

http://oi65.tinypic.com/ogao3s.jpg

I am always eager to see the future. I'm one of them guys who likes to look at the past, enjoy the present, and gets excited for the future. Interested in the 2020s and the entire 2nd half of the 21st century.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/09/16 at 7:20 pm

Kids in the future.
http://www.walldevil.com/wallpapers/w07/dystopia-sad-cyberpunk-virtual-reality.jpg
http://digital-art-gallery.com/oid/69/640x361_12457_Game_over_2d_illustration_still_life_destruction_mood_cyberpunk_virtual_reality_picture_image_digi.jpg

I am always eager to see the future. I'm one of them guys who likes to look at the past, enjoy the present, and gets excited for the future. Interested in the 2020s and the entire 2nd half of the 21st century.

Dude, that's sad if those people have to go with virtual reality. I hope we don't have it until the late 21st century.

Written By: 2001 on 02/09/16 at 7:22 pm

Kids in the future.

Yo you may not know it but those kids are having way more fun than I ever had. Imagine flying with a Pidgeotto or swimming with a Lapras!

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/thumb/e/e0/Corey_Pidgeot.png/300px-Corey_Pidgeot.png

http://www.gamerselixir.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Red_Lapras_PO.png

They won man. That 2002 born is just jealous, those old Gen Zers are stuck in their ways.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/09/16 at 7:23 pm

Kids in the future.

That future looks bleak!! :(

Written By: Toon on 02/09/16 at 7:25 pm

Dude, that's sad if those people have to go with virtual reality. I hope we don't have it until the late 21st century.

I think virtual reality would be really cool, but if the world goes to sh*t and the only way that people can find enjoyment is a virtual universe then kids will go outside. Look on the bright side. Kids will go outside......but it'll be in a virtual world.  8)

Written By: Toon on 02/09/16 at 7:31 pm

Yo you may not know it but those kids are having way more fun than I ever had. Imagine flying with a Pidgeotto or swimming with a Lapras!

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/thumb/e/e0/Corey_Pidgeot.png/300px-Corey_Pidgeot.png

http://www.gamerselixir.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Red_Lapras_PO.png

They won man. That 2002 born is just jealous, those old Gen Zers are stuck in their ways.

Virtual world pokemon would be cool. For once we'd finally be able to go to a world full of pokemon. But this is all going by the idea that you actually like Pokemon to begin with. What's funny is in the TV show the reason Ash is always 10 is because in real life he's actually a 73 year old man, but he and everyone else are stuck in a virtual world where they never age and continue to have fun.  :(  :-\\ :o  HA! Now wouldn't that just be crazy.

In the future it'd be the 2002 born who'd be out of touch with the modern times. They just won't come to appreciate the crazy new trend of virtual reality and accept it into their everyday lives.  ;D

That future looks bleak!! :(

Just hope it doesn't come to looking like what those pictures show off. I wouldn't want a bleak future where my only enjoyment is from a virtual world that I can't physically exist in.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/09/16 at 8:45 pm

Kids in the future.

And I always thought that the kids of the future would look more like this:

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/metalheroes/images/7/7d/Troopers.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130901053330

Written By: mqg96 on 02/09/16 at 9:44 pm

Kids in the future.

^^^ These photos and the people from the Wall-E movie just look disturbing af.....

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/zpvhc1jvcuu68o6yzxln.gif

http://i.imgur.com/gzFUqAi.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/9fWSYig.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/eidNOHc.gifv

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/09/16 at 10:04 pm

Thanks America. Now that you've gotten so fat the earth's gravitational pull is now all f*cked up and scientists don't know what to do with anything.

^^^ These photos and the people from the Wall-E movie just look disturbing af.....

These gifs are scary sh!t, dude!

Written By: mqg96 on 02/09/16 at 10:08 pm

Thanks America. Now that you've gotten so fat the earth's gravitational pull is now all f*cked up and scientists don't know what to do with anything.

These gifs are scary sh!t, dude!

Hey, here's my point, it's the modern way of kids playing outside in the 2010's  :o

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/09/16 at 10:10 pm

Hey, here's my point, it's the modern way of kids playing outside in the 2010's  :o

This is how kids get their kicks today!?!?!?!?!? Here I'm thinking kids just sat inside doing nothing but playing with their smartphones. Geez, the youth live dangerously in the 2010's.

Written By: Howard on 02/10/16 at 3:23 pm

That's the way kids today like it. Cooped up and coddled.

playing with their gaming consoles, just like me.

Written By: Toon on 02/10/16 at 3:33 pm

Yeah, but hopefully the future doesn't resemble those images or the way it is in Wall-E. A future where the world has gone to sh*t and everyone is tuned into a virtual world 24/7. Being too lazy to actually fix the world that they didn't take good care of.

I'm all for kids being extreme, but this kind of this is just crazy! 1 wrong move and their lives are over.

Written By: 2001 on 02/10/16 at 4:01 pm

I don't think it will be that bad. The roomba will clean the rooms so you don't have to. :P

Written By: Toon on 02/10/16 at 4:10 pm

I don't think it will be that bad. The roomba will clean the rooms so you don't have to. :P

It's been confirmed here, folks! Slowpoke has unintentionally confirmed his laziness. ;D  ;)

But in all seriousness it would be interesting to see a world were it's normal to having robots/machines in your house that handles all of your chores. 1 for cleaning the house, making the dinner, walking the dog, bathing the children, mowing the lawn, taking out the trash, turning on the light switch etc.

Written By: Howard on 02/10/16 at 4:43 pm

Will I need rug deodorizer?

Written By: Toon on 02/10/16 at 4:48 pm

Will I need rug deodorizer?

You will if you want to look "hip" and "with the times". I can imagine a future where everyone in a neighborhood is using robots/machines to do all the work, but then you have a few people who still do all the work themselves.

Written By: Howard on 02/11/16 at 4:02 pm

You will if you want to look "hip" and "with the times". I can imagine a future where everyone in a neighborhood is using robots/machines to do all the work, but then you have a few people who still do all the work themselves.

How much do they cost?

Written By: 2001 on 02/11/16 at 4:14 pm

How much do they cost?

Roomba is $800.

Written By: Toon on 02/11/16 at 4:17 pm

How much do they cost?

The actual product? Just a few dollars. But in a future where a robot is doing the work? Errr..... usually if it's common for people to have something that's usually because the product is cheap enough. So while I have no idea on the pricing I can guess that buying one won't burn a big hole in your wallet.  ;)

Roomba is $800.

Errr... I guess there will be a big hole in your wallet. Good thing Slowpoke is willing to buy one for ya.

Written By: Howard on 02/11/16 at 5:17 pm

The actual product? Just a few dollars. But in a future where a robot is doing the work? Errr..... usually if it's common for people to have something that's usually because the product is cheap enough. So while I have no idea on the pricing I can guess that buying one won't burn a big hole in your wallet.  ;)

Errr... I guess there will be a big hole in your wallet. Good thing Slowpoke is willing to buy one for ya.

just send it to my house. ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...