inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Your thoughts on 2003-2007?

Written By: doublejm1 on 01/26/16 at 1:58 pm

First off, I'm new to this board and am delighted to be here.

I'm the type of person who reminisces a lot about the past, namely 2003 through 2007.

So what's so special about these years? In addition to the music and fashion fads covered on this board, those were the years I attended college. (I went to a 2-year college from Fall 2003 through Spring 2005 and to a university from Fall 2005 through Fall 2007.)

lt was a transformative time in my life (as I'm sure college was for most of you) as I dated several girls and hooked up with my now-wife, met my now-best friend, bought my first car, learned a lot, and the list goes on. I think college is unlike any other time in a person's life -- it's one's first taste of freedom, and the first time you feel like and are regarded as an adult.

It's no surprise, then, that I hold songs and movies that came out over that span in high regard. Movies released between 2003 and 2007 included School of Rock, The 40-Year Old Virgin, Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle, Batman Begins, Spider-Man 2 and 3, Knocked Up, Lord of the Rings - Return of the King, Collateral, White Chicks, Meet the Fockers, and King Kong.

It was also a great time in music, especially in 2005. That year, we saw many new young artists burst onto the scene who have made quite a name for themselves, including Chris Brown, Trey Songz, Rihanna, and T-Pain. For the next two years, names like Mariah Carey, Panic at the Disco, 50 Cent (who had quite a run all 5 years), The Fray, Kanye West, Pussycat Dolls, All American Rejects, Green Day, and Bobby Valentino would dominate the charts.

Someone created a thread saying that late 2003 marked a break with the late 90s/early 2000s era and ushered in the mid/core 2000s. I agree, and it's pretty cool that it was also the time I was starting college. While pop culture was evolving, so was I, transitioning into young adulthood.

What also made it a fun time to be a college student was the rise of social networking sites. It was through MySpace that I reconnected with my now-wife, whom I first met in middle school. My friends and I had a lot of fun sending each other YouTube videos, which I started using in 2006. Then came Facebook, which I began using in late 2006/early 2007.

Needless to say, I find 2003-2007 to be the best time of my life. I wish I could relive those days. Since I can't,  I'll have to rely on music, movies, and pictures to take me back in time.

How would you characterize 2003-2007? What did you like and not like about it?

Subject: Re: Your thoughts on 2003-2007?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/26/16 at 1:59 pm

Any year or decade is good when you are blessed with God's Gracious Gift of being alive.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/26/16 at 2:04 pm

My high school years (2003 to 2007)! I'm class of 2007.

Written By: the2001 on 01/26/16 at 3:17 pm

I'm the type of person who reminisces a lot about the past, namely 2003 through 2007.

So what's so special about these years? In addition to the music and fashion fads covered on this board, those were the years I attended college. (I went to a 2-year college from Fall 2003 through Spring 2005 and to a university from Fall 2005 through Fall 2007.)

lt was a transformative time in my life (as I'm sure college was for most of you) as I dated several girls and hooked up with my now-wife, met my now-best friend, bought my first car, learned a lot, and the list goes on. I think college is unlike any other time in a person's life -- it's one's first taste of freedom, and the first time you feel like and are regarded as an adult.

It's no surprise, then, that I hold songs and movies that came out over that span in high regard. Movies released between 2003 and 2007 included School of Rock, The 40-Year Old Virgin, Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle, Batman Begins, Spider-Man 2 and 3, Knocked Up, Lord of the Rings - Return of the King, Collateral, White Chicks, Meet the Fockers, and King Kong.

It was also a great time in music, especially in 2005. That year, we saw many new young artists burst onto the scene who have made quite a name for themselves, including Chris Brown, Trey Songz, Rihanna, and T-Pain. For the next two years, names like Mariah Carey, Panic at the Disco, 50 Cent (who had quite a run all 5 years), The Fray, Kanye West, Pussycat Dolls, All American Rejects, Green Day, and Bobby Valentino would dominate the charts.

Someone created a thread saying that late 2003 marked a break with the late 90s/early 2000s era and ushered in the mid/core 2000s. I agree, and it's pretty cool that it was also the time I was starting college. While pop culture was evolving, so was I, transitioning into young adulthood.

What also made it a fun time to be a college student was the rise of social networking sites. It was through MySpace that I reconnected with my now-wife, whom I first met in middle school. My friends and I had a lot of fun sending each other YouTube videos, which I started using in 2006. Then came Facebook, which I began using in late 2006/early 2007.

Needless to say, I find 2003-2007 to be the best time of my life. I wish I could relive those days. Since I can't,  I'll have to rely on music, movies, and pictures to take me back in time.

2004-2007 was a golden age

Written By: Howard on 01/26/16 at 3:24 pm

Welcome to the boards. :)

Written By: the2001 on 01/26/16 at 3:35 pm

Highschool in 2003-2007 was insane

Written By: 2001 on 01/26/16 at 3:36 pm

I liked the rock/emo music of the time  ;D (*flameshield against JordanK1982*). Some of the R&B music was good too, but you had to wade through a lot of crap to get to the good stuff.

I hated the fashion of the time, even though I was at the top of my own game. It was just too sloppy.

The movies and TV shows are great but I don't miss the reality TV shows and all that celebrity gossip. Seriously, we witnessed the crash of Britney Spears,  Lindsay Lohan, Nicole Smith (R.I.P) those years, it was disaster everywhere you looked.

Also for some reason I remember a lot of natural disasters happening that period which was very distressing to me. You had the Asian Tsunami in late 2004, then you had Hurricane Katrina in 2005 and I believe there was an earthquake in Pakistan/India as well that year, then you had the terrorist attack in London happen a few weeks later and then in France you had riots. Couple that with the Iraq and Afghanistan war ongoing and the Israel-Lebanon war in 2006, I thought the world was coming to an end.  ;D

Personal life wise, I enjoyed 2003/early 2004 and a bit of 2007 (and late 2006). That mushy part in the middle though...  8-P

Written By: mqg96 on 01/26/16 at 3:53 pm

I'll do my thoughts on Fall 2003-Spring 2007, which was 2nd grade through 5th grade for me. It was great! Back when life was much simpler for me!

2003-2005 had great shows on TV, I went to many fun vacations and places outta town during the summers of 2004 & 2006. Playing the Gamecube and XBOX with my family and friends, etc.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/26/16 at 5:24 pm

I liked the rock/emo music of the time  ;D (*flameshield against JordanK1982*).

:P :P :P :P

I don't really like this era (aside from most of 2003's culture) but there's some things that I enjoyed like the final episodes of Malcolm in the Middle, Clerks 2 and Everybody Hates Chris. Plus, a whole lot of amazing video games came out in 2005 and 2006 like Star Wars Battlefront II and the first two Destroy All Humans. Didn't like the music or fashion at all, though! Mid 2000's-today Emo/Pop Punk? How can you even call it Emo or Pop Punk!? (Sorry, 2001 ;D) My personal life was pretty good, contrary to my views on post-2003 culture. It was just little uneventful for the most part. I do find myself being a little nostalgic for some 2004-2007 memories of mine but not at all for the pop culture.

Written By: Toon on 01/26/16 at 5:53 pm

I liked the core era '00s mostly just because it was interesting to see what new things would come out. It is funny to look at the things we have to today. And then look at the mid '00s to where these things either didn't exist or were in their infancy to the point where you could say it wasn't a big part of pop culture. The mid 2000s to me are decent. When talking about 2003-2007 I like everything up to summer of 2007. After that point I started entering these weird mood swings and then everything became a blur until sometime around 2011.

Written By: Ripley on 01/26/16 at 7:23 pm

I don't care for much in this time period pop culture wise. Aside from a couple bands I like having hits. Personally 2003 and 2004 were great. 2005 was traumatizing. 2006 started great but by the end of it I was making many mistakes that continued in 2007. Then 2008 was a wonderful year. So those years were a mixture. But if we're talking simply the music, movies etc most wasn't for me.

Written By: Ripley on 01/26/16 at 7:37 pm

Welcome aboard! I graduated high school the same year as you.

Written By: Red Ant on 01/27/16 at 2:07 am

I was in prison from 2002-2007.  ::)

Written By: 80sfan on 01/27/16 at 3:35 am

I was psychotic from January 2003 to September 2007.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/27/16 at 11:30 am

I was happy as sh*t as far I could remember from mid 2002 to early 2010.

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/27/16 at 12:26 pm

I don't care much for the aughts, but 2003-2005 offered some really nice hit songs. Hip-hop was in the gutter though. I typically like the pop-rock stuff like Kelly Clarkson and Yellowcard. I don't like Avril Lavigne (although "My Happy Ending" was a good song), but I like Gwen Stefani's hits (although she was better with '90s No Doubt) with the exception of Hollaback Girl.

Written By: Howard on 01/27/16 at 3:23 pm

You did time? ???

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/27/16 at 4:39 pm

:P :P :P :P

I don't really like this era (aside from most of 2003's culture) but there's some things that I enjoyed like the final episodes of Malcolm in the Middle, Clerks 2 and Everybody Hates Chris. Plus, a whole lot of amazing video games came out in 2005 and 2006 like Star Wars Battlefront II and the first two Destroy All Humans. Didn't like the music or fashion at all, though! Mid 2000's-today Emo/Pop Punk? How can you even call it Emo or Pop Punk!? (Sorry, 2001 ;D) My personal life was pretty good, contrary to my views on post-2003 culture. It was just little uneventful for the most part. I do find myself being a little nostalgic for some 2004-2007 memories of mine but not at all for the pop culture.

I wasn't a fan of mid 2000s pop culture either, save for a couple of bands. I'll admit, I listened to a lot of songs that were made for anime or video games at the time, because it was much better than the mainstream music that was going on. I wasn't a fan of the whole emo pop trend (though Yellowcard and Red Jumpsuit Apparatus were okay), and I absolutely hated crunk rap. Speaking of which, there was still a lot of good anime and video games in the mid 00s. I would take the mid 2000s, over the late 2000s and early-mid 2010s, any day, even if it wasn't as good as the 80s, 90s, and early 00s.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/27/16 at 8:54 pm

One thing I realized about core 2000's music from around 2003-2007 was that a lot of the background music had that rock band guitar sound in the background. Like Pink-Trouble or Avril Lavigne- Girlfriend. You'd even hear it on some movies or shows throughout the core 2000's as well. Then you had that snap rap, rap rock, or dance pop rap whatever you called it. Like Shop Boyz- Party Like a Rockstar or Soulja Boy- Crank That 8)

Written By: 2001 on 01/27/16 at 9:16 pm

I wasn't a fan of mid 2000s pop culture either, save for a couple of bands. I'll admit, I listened to a lot of songs that were made for anime or video games at the time, because it was much better than the mainstream music that was going on. I wasn't a fan of the whole emo pop trend (though Yellowcard and Red Jumpsuit Apparatus were okay), and I absolutely hated crunk rap. Speaking of which, there was still a lot of good anime and video games in the mid 00s. I would take the mid 2000s, over the late 2000s and early-mid 2010s, any day, even if it wasn't as good as the 80s, 90s, and early 00s.

I listened to mid-2000s J-Rock too. But that was in the late 2000s when YouTube was on the scene.

I liked everything with a guitar in the 2000s lol (except country  8-P)

Written By: 2001 on 01/27/16 at 9:18 pm

One thing I realized about core 2000's music from around 2003-2007 was that a lot of the background music had that rock band guitar sound in the background. Like Pink-Trouble or Avril Lavigne- Girlfriend. You'd even hear it on some movies or shows throughout the core 2000's as well. Then you had that snap rap, rap rock, or dance pop rap whatever you called it. Like Shop Boyz- Party Like a Rockstar or Soulja Boy- Crank That 8)

Yeah pop rock was popular throughout the decade.

Soulja Boy made school from 2004-2008 absolutely miserable, in a way Limp Bizkit couldn't.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/27/16 at 9:24 pm

Soulja Boy made school from 2004-2008 absolutely miserable, in a way Limp Bizkit couldn't.

Here's the 3 main songs I get nostalgic for the most from Soulja Boy, whether it was by him or being featured. We jammed to this hard back in middle school!

8UFIYGkROII

9yRme0C2pmI

JMwi8vFXUpo

Written By: 80sfan on 01/27/16 at 9:33 pm

Very true.  :P

Written By: 2001 on 01/27/16 at 9:52 pm

Here's the 3 main songs I get nostalgic for the most from Soulja Boy, whether it was by him or being featured. We jammed to this hard back in middle school!

Nostalgic for Soulja Boy? Definitely not in a million years!! He's like 20% of the reason I absolutely hate the core 2000s  ;D

Now I know how I sound like when I say I'm nostalgic for the old Avril Lavigne or Good Charlotte in front of people who're older than me.  ;D

Written By: mqg96 on 01/27/16 at 10:01 pm

Nostalgic for Soulja Boy? Definitely not in a million years!! He's like 20% of the reason I absolutely hate the core 2000s  ;D

Now I know how I sound like when I say I'm nostalgic for the old Avril Lavigne or Good Charlotte in front of people who're older than me.  ;D

The way I feel about Silento- Watch Me (Whip Nae Nae) song being popular towards the middle or high school crowd today is how y'all felt about us listening to Soulja Boy when people near my age including myself were younger. I ate up a lot of good and bad songs throughout 2007 & 2008 during my early years of listening to music by myself.

Better be glad you put old in Avril Lavinge, because I couldn't stand her Girlfriend song and that came out when I was 11. I did enjoy some songs from Rihanna's Good Girl Gone Bad album though.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/27/16 at 10:09 pm

I realize that when it comes to core 2000's music, 2007 was my favorite year without a doubt. Not my favorite year for music overall, but it was a really good year though. 2007 was a really good year for movies of the 2000's decade as well. It was a year that gave us Super Mario Galaxy and Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare too! Wow, the mainstream culture for 2007 was actually pretty decent looking back.

Written By: 2001 on 01/27/16 at 10:13 pm

The way I feel about Silento- Watch Me (Whip Nae Nae) song being popular towards the middle or high school crowd today is how y'all felt about us listening to Soulja Boy when people near my age including myself were younger. I ate up a lot of good and bad songs throughout 2007 & 2008 during my early years of listening to music by myself.

Better be glad you put old in Avril Lavinge, because I couldn't stand her Girlfriend song and that came out when I was 11. I did enjoy some songs from Rihanna's Good Girl Gone Bad album though.

People my age were listening to him too, but I was like the 40% who hated it  8-P

Yeah Girlfriend was awful. Rihanna Good Girl Gone Bad was great, I loved Umbrella and Disturbia. I remember that being pretty late 2000s though.  :o

Written By: Toon on 01/27/16 at 10:16 pm

I realize that when it comes to core 2000's music, 2007 was my favorite year without a doubt. Not my favorite year for music overall, but it was a really good year though. 2007 was a really good year for movies of the 2000's decade as well. It was a year that gave us Super Mario Galaxy and Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare too! Wow, the mainstream culture for 2007 was actually pretty decent looking back.

When it comes to the core 2000's I like 2004 and 2006 the most. But 2007 wasn't that bad at all looking on it. Only 2000s year I did not like was probably 2009.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/27/16 at 10:19 pm

When it comes to the core 2000's I like 2004 and 2006 the most. But 2007 wasn't that bad at all looking on it. Only 2000s year I did not like was probably 2009.

When it comes to the pop culture of the core 2000's it's definitely 2004 & 2005 for me. The kid & mainstream pop culture in 2006 sucked for me, but thankfully my epic personal life throughout 2006 made me hardly pay attention to it. As you already know I liked the mainstream culture in 2007.

Written By: doublejm1 on 01/28/16 at 2:11 am

People my age were listening to him too, but I was like the 40% who hated it  8-P

Yeah Girlfriend was awful. Rihanna Good Girl Gone Bad was great, I loved Umbrella and Disturbia. I remember that being pretty late 2000s though.  :o

That Good Girl Gone Bad album had to have been one of the biggest of the year. Songs like Umbrella, Disturbia, Shut up and Drive, Please Don't Stop the Music, and Rehab received a lot of airplay. I think it marked the pinnacle of Rihanna's career. Though she has come out with solid albums since, I don't think they've been nearly as good. And her freshman and sophomore albums, which included hits like Pon de Replay, S.O.S., and Unfaithful, were stellar in their own right.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/28/16 at 2:22 am

Old Good Charlotte, though. Man, that one about the Chronicles of Whateverthef*ck is the worst.

Written By: doublejm1 on 01/28/16 at 5:38 am

50 Cent was huge from 2003-2007. 2005 was a big year for Mariah Carey. Lots of Green Day and All American Rejects.  It also saw Chris Brown, Rihanna and T-Pain release their debut albums. Timbaland, Nelly Furtado and Justin Timberlake made a splash in 2006-2007, not to mention the Fray and Panic at the Disco.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/13/16 at 8:44 am

Maybe it's because you're an ass to everybody here.

Written By: Red Ant on 06/14/16 at 3:54 pm

You did time? ???

Not back in 2002-2007, I was joking with my previous post. I have done time tho... wish I could say it was for beating the brakes off a snot-nosed 16 year old internet warrior, but it was for something else.

Ant

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/14/16 at 5:15 pm

Not back in 2002-2007, I was joking with my previous post. I have done time tho... wish I could say it was for beating the brakes off a snot-nosed 16 year old internet warrior, but it was for something else.

Ant

Yeah, because it's not like I actually go here for sh*tposting. *sarcasm*

Why do you dislike most of these new generation members? We have done absolutely nothing to you, and you give us disrespect. We come here for being nostalgic for our childhood, and you're giving most of us negative karma just for ourselves talking about it. Maybe you just go here for song parodies, but still. You don't even explain that much on why you smite us. You just give it like you're mad for no reason.

Is it a sign that just says that we're not welcomed here on these forums? Nobody here treats you like a disgrace, and I could respect you if you didn't smite the living hell out of me. I could understand that decadeology is really taboo on these forums, but we aren't interpreting decadeology towards InThe00s. We're just talking about random sh*t here and there. I even got negative criticism over people that didn't like the new generation posts, and I could still respect them. You on the other hand just think that we're ruining this site, even though we're making better. Before we came here, this site barely had any people come in after 2014.

You should've at least acknowledge that we post and stuff. If I were a long time member of InThe00s, I would've maybe respected all of them. I could've said that their posts are a bit unorthodox, but at least they make this site good. You do absolutely NOTHING but  think that we're terrible. I don't get it.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/14/16 at 11:50 pm

Ant

Yeah, because it's not like I actually go here for sh*tposting. *sarcasm*

Why do you dislike most of these new generation members? We have done absolutely nothing to you, and you give us disrespect. We come here for being nostalgic for our childhood, and you're giving most of us negative karma just for ourselves talking about it. Maybe you just go here for song parodies, but still. You don't even explain that much on why you smite us. You just give it like you're mad for no reason.

Is it a sign that just says that we're not welcomed here on these forums? Nobody here treats you like a disgrace, and I could respect you if you didn't smite the living hell out of me. I could understand that decadeology is really taboo on these forums, but we aren't interpreting decadeology towards InThe00s. We're just talking about random sh*t here and there. I even got negative criticism over people that didn't like the new generation posts, and I could still respect them. You on the other hand just think that we're ruining this site, even though we're making better. Before we came here, this site barely had any people come in after 2014.

You should've at least acknowledge that we post and stuff. If I were a long time member of InThe00s, I would've maybe respected all of them. I could've said that their posts are a bit unorthodox, but at least they make this site good. You do absolutely NOTHING but  think that we're terrible. I don't get it.

https://media.giphy.com/media/ftXvsSyRzKXXG/giphy.gif

Written By: Slim95 on 06/14/16 at 11:51 pm

There isn't anything not to love about 2003-2007. It was simply an amazing time to be a kid. It was a much simpler time. In my opinion, it was drastically different from today.

Written By: Zelek2 on 06/15/16 at 3:03 am

2003 is an early 00s year, it's not like the other years listed here.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/15/16 at 3:05 am

I agree Zelek, it should have been 2004-2006.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/15/16 at 11:40 am

No 2003 is a mid 00s year. It's only early 00s until June that year. And things don't change overnight. There is nothing wrong with adding 2003... Heck they could have said 2000 - 2007 and I would be fine with that if they were describing the decade.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/15/16 at 11:45 am

No 2003 is a mid 00s year. It's only early 00s until June that year. And things don't change overnight. There is nothing wrong with adding 2003... Heck they could have said 2000 - 2007 and I would be fine with that if they were describing the decade.

Numerically 2003 is mostly mid 2000's, but culturally it's still early 2000's though, and 80% of the people I know on the internet agree with this.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/15/16 at 1:52 pm

You mean April, right?

Written By: Slim95 on 06/15/16 at 3:25 pm

You mean April, right?

Whatever date it is. I assumed June because it's 6 months in, but I'm not good at math anyway lol.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/15/16 at 4:09 pm

Whatever date it is. I assumed June because it's 6 months in, but I'm not good at math anyway lol.

I think the only early 00s part of 2003 mathematically is up to April 30th. May-onward is mid 2000s.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/15/16 at 4:58 pm

No 2003 is a mid 00s year. It's only early 00s until June that year. And things don't change overnight. There is nothing wrong with adding 2003...

But,2003 felt just like 2001 and 2002.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/15/16 at 5:24 pm

But,2003 felt just like 2001 and 2002.

To be more specific, early & mid 2003 felt just like late 2001 and 2002. Late 2003 felt more like 2004 IMO.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/15/16 at 5:29 pm

To be more specific, early & mid 2003 felt just like late 2001 and 2002. Late 2003 felt more like 2004 IMO.

To be fair, late 2003 was probably the start of the cultural mid 2000s.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/15/16 at 5:30 pm

To be fair, late 2003 was probably the start of the cultural mid 2000s.

late 2003 was the start of the core 2000's, but late 2003-early 2004 was the transition from early to mid 2000's culturally, like half and half.

mid 2000's culture was in full effect by summer 2004

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/15/16 at 6:32 pm

late 2003 was the start of the core 2000's, but late 2003-early 2004 was the transition from early to mid 2000's culturally, like half and half.

mid 2000's culture was in full effect by summer 2004

True. But late 2003 was like that. Transitional, but became dominant over mid 2000s culture.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/15/16 at 10:40 pm

This. 
and yeah I should have been more specific. ;D ;)

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 06/20/16 at 5:41 am

Hello bud, I too am in this lunatic asylum for my sins.

I feel largely the same as you do, except my main nostalgia is for the years 2006-2010 (16-20 yrs old). And the cause of my nostalgia is more because I feel like I didn't fulfil those years enough, rather than them being good. It's like I don't have enough memories from back then.

In 2006 I was released from a special needs boarding school 60 miles away from my home town (which I should not have had to attend) and when I came out I was very shy. I tried going to my local youth club to make friends but mostly just sat in the corner crippled by shyness and anxiety. Mostly because (I realise now) that going to that school had made me feel there was something wrong with me when there wasn't.

Anyway that took me about 5 years to get over, by which time it was 2011.

Although despite my shyness in the 2006-2010 years, there was a feeling of excitement back when I was that age, imagine standing on a cliff edge and looking out on the horizon, that horizon representing the future. Now in my mid 20s I feel like I only have getting older to look forward too, I am in the part of my life that I had to look forward to as a teen and I feel like I am better suited to being a teenager.

I am also a sucker for the 2000s in general as they represented my teenage years. Anything that reminds me of them, a song (even if it is not from a genre I usually listen to) a particular show that used to be on TV, a video game, a particular gadget, etc, anything that reminds me of that era brings nostalgia flooding back. A lot of the music artists and films you mention are just filed in my mind as being "a few years ago" it's crazy to think how far back they actually were!

Having said that, I am not one of these people who says stuff like "everything was better back then" or "kids used to play outside" or any other annoying and inaccurate cliché. In fact I think the 2000s were the foundation for the current era and everything since just seems to be a slight variation on the last thing, whereas in the 2000s technology revolutionised things.

I still kinda wish I could just go back and live my life in the 2000s, it felt right then. My mind seems to have stopped acknowledging things since then and I am feeling really anxious about getting even older :-\\

Written By: aja675 on 06/22/16 at 10:16 am

2003 and 2004 are not that nostalgic for me, bur 2005-2007 are for me.

Written By: cowboy on 03/07/19 at 1:15 pm

2003 was great. 2004-2007 has their music gems but I prefer 2008-2013. ;)
TV of 2005-2007 was great though.

Written By: JackSepton on 03/08/19 at 8:00 am

i hated it

Written By: cowboy on 03/08/19 at 9:15 am

i hated it

Come on, I hated it at the time too but looking back Stickwithu was one of the greatest pop songs ever.

Written By: JackSepton on 03/08/19 at 10:43 am

Come on, I hated it at the time too but looking back Stickwithu was one of the greatest pop songs ever.

how old were you during the time?

Written By: cowboy on 03/08/19 at 11:12 am

how old were you during the time?

1988 (summer) born here, so 14/15 in 2003 and 18/19 in 2007.
I hated the motions (anxiety) I had (still have tbh) and the web addiction. But looking back, pop culture, especially TV was very good.
Music not so much save for some gems (I still prefer 2008-2013).

Written By: JackSepton on 03/08/19 at 11:43 am

1988 (summer) born here, so 14/15 in 2003 and 18/19 in 2007.
I hated the motions (anxiety) I had (still have tbh) and the web addiction. But looking back, pop culture, especially TV was very good.
Music not so much save for some gems (I still prefer 2008-2013).

yes both the early and late 00s beats the middle part of it
the "core 00s" as its called by some of the autists here, must have been the most colorless and boring era i ever lived under
lousy times for me personally also

Written By: cowboy on 03/08/19 at 12:06 pm

I think 2003-2005 were better than the early 2000s like 2000-2002.
Sure, 2000 was great (still relatively like the 90s, only more modern). However, 2001 seemed like a mostly bland year. It tried too hard to be futuristic (music videos looking like filmed in space, futuristic-looking tech, cars, silver and brushed metal anything ;D) and most things from then now look tacky and OTT. Same for 2002, plus it had the bad/dark vibes after 9/11. Summer hits of 2003-2005 were happier than the mostly bland ones from summer 2001 or the mostly depressing ones from summer '02.

It was not until spring of 2003, that the atmosphere improved. Cars also started to look much better from 2003 on. Model year 2001 and 02 cars were usually trying too hard stylistically to be shocking, especially here in Europe. Model year 2003 (launched in fall of 2002 to spring 2003) was so-so. Model year 2004 (launched in the second part of 2003) were mostly better-looking. I can think of very few 2000 to 2002 cars that still look good today styling-wise and most were 1990s leftover designs. Cars, revealed in the second part of 2003 to 2007 looked much better.

Compare this jelly-bean shaped car launched in fall 2001 (or MY 2002):
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/63/2003_Citro%C3%ABn_C3_Exclusive_hatchback_%282016-01-04%29_01.jpg/280px-2003_Citro%C3%ABn_C3_Exclusive_hatchback_%282016-01-04%29_01.jpg
with its sister model, launced in fall 2003 (so MY 2004), that looks slightly sportier and funkier:
https://i.ibb.co/gS1Lb3P/rsz-7c09aabe-5261-464f-addf-8104d05c0661.jpg
2001-2002 were huge on such jelly-bean cars like the first example. ;D

Written By: JackSepton on 03/08/19 at 12:11 pm

I think 2003-2005 were better than the early 2000s like 2000-2002.
Sure, 2000 was great (still relatively like the 90s, only more modern). However, 2001 seemed like a mostly bland year. It tried too hard to be futuristic (music videos looking like filmed in space, futuristic-looking tech, cars, silver and brushed metal anything ;D) and most things from then now look tacky and OTT. Same for 2002, plus it had the bad/dark vibes after 9/11. Summer hits of 2003-2005 were happier than the mostly bland ones from summer 2001 or the mostly depressing ones from summer '02.

It was not until spring of 2003, that the atmosphere improved. Cars also started to look much better from 2003 on. Model year 2001 and 02 cars were usually trying too hard stylistically to be shocking, especially here in Europe. Model year 2003 (launched in fall of 2002 to spring 2003) was so-so. Model year 2004 (launched in the second part of 2003) were mostly better-looking. I can think of very few 2000 to 2002 cars that still look good today styling-wise and most were 1990s leftover designs. Cars, revealed in the second part of 2003 to 2007 looked much better.

Compare this jelly-bean shaped car launched in fall 2001 (or MY 2002):
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/63/2003_Citro%C3%ABn_C3_Exclusive_hatchback_%282016-01-04%29_01.jpg/280px-2003_Citro%C3%ABn_C3_Exclusive_hatchback_%282016-01-04%29_01.jpg
with its sister model, launced in fall 2003 (so MY 2004), that looks slightly sportier and funkier:
https://i.ibb.co/gS1Lb3P/rsz-7c09aabe-5261-464f-addf-8104d05c0661.jpg
2001-2002 were huge on such jelly-bean cars like the first example. ;D

come on, if you were really born in 1988 you should have memories starting on January 1th 1991, you know just aswell as the other 90s kids and 90s/00s kid hybrids with mid 90s underlap, that the "core" 00s (autist lingo) was the most bland era ever

come on, what defined the mid 00s apart from emo?

Written By: JackSepton on 03/08/19 at 1:18 pm

What does my age have to do with it?
Ok, the core 2000s had better cars than the early 00s. As a car fanatic, I do care about them. Internet Explorer 7 debuting, being miles better than Internet Explorer 6. Heck, Firefox debuting made the web better.

Yes, the music was not very good compared to 2008 and 2009. However, many artists released better things in 2003, 2004 and even in 2005-2007 than in 2000-2002. Among them Green Day, pop people like Kylie Minogue, the Corrs, Dido.

Imo, 2008 and 2009 were probably the best years of music in the 2000s, followed by 2003 and 2004. 2005 was not great but OK. 2006 and 2007 were bland and non descript with some pop gems.
2001 and 2002 are way overrated, however. Bland, OTT futuristic or depressing. 2000 was so-so, too much teen pop trash (most of the 90s were terrible musically imo (thank God for 80s music videos on VH1!)).

yes so we can agree on that the cars (obv newer then those from the early 00s) were better, but apart from that it was a very bland and boring era and i cant understand why anyone apart from some digital native born in say 1995 who cant remember anything before 2006 would glamorize it

personally id say that both the millenial era and the electropop era were both better then the core 00s

Written By: cowboy on 03/08/19 at 3:58 pm

Oh come on. The electropop era was the first time since I was born that brand new music was great. Yet, 2003-2005 had many good songs as well. 2006 and 2007 were largely a wasteland for music, I give you that!

Windows 2003 was an improvement over XP in stability and so was Vista once SP1 came. In the looks department Vista was better since day one. Vista's interface imo looked better than 7, 8 and 10 even.
https://i0.wp.com/www.istartedsomething.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/newvistawebsite.jpg?w=700

Firefox totally revolutionized the Internet in 2005-2007 before Chrome. Internet Explorer 7 and 8 were miles better than 6. Ubuntu appeared during that era as well and it brought more popularity to Linux.

Written By: 2001 on 03/08/19 at 4:05 pm

come on, if you were really born in 1988 you should have memories starting on January 1th 1991, you know just aswell as the other 90s kids and 90s/00s kid hybrids with mid 90s underlap, that the "core" 00s (autist lingo) was the most bland era ever

Is the irony lost on you when you complain about "autists" while describing people as "90s/00s hybrids with mid-90s underlap"? Or saying he should remember January 1 1991 because he was born in 1988?

Not that there is anything wrong with being autistic; your post just baffles me is all.

Written By: JackSepton on 03/08/19 at 7:43 pm

I don't remember anything from 1991 except a vague memory of my grandpa taking us to some playground. He died later that year. I only remember something vague from 1992 and 1993. 1994 is the first year I have more vivid memories from, with 1995 more vivid. However anything before 2000 feels like ages ago and most things are blurry.

if you were born in 1988 your memories should start on January 1th 1991 according to the 90s kid experts
you should read Nicole1977 in this thread http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/inthe90s/smf/1293764034.shtml

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/10/19 at 3:16 pm

I enjoyed 2003 - 2006 a lot.

Written By: cowboy on 03/11/19 at 11:30 am

What improved between 2003 and 2007 were mobile phones. Not only were they more powerful, but also looked miles better than the ones from the first half of the 2000s. For mobile phones 2003 and 2007 almost belong to separate eras.

These from 2003 look overstyled and kinda dorky now compared to these from 2007:
http://www.pcstats.com/articleimages/200301/Nokiacells_all.jpg  http://www.cellphonedigest.net/images/verizon-2007-line-up.jpg

Most of these flops are from the first half of the 2000s: http://www.techtree.com/content/features/7195/weirdest-mobile-phones-conceived.html
I miss the original Razr and Razr2 specifically. The foldable screen one that's out right now looks nowehere near as stylish.
BlackBerry's were also cool in that era with everyone talking about them.

Written By: shadowcookie on 03/11/19 at 3:47 pm

My first phone was the LG Chocolate:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/71/LG_KG800.jpg/220px-LG_KG800.jpg

I was about 13 and my mum wanted to get me one when I started travelling to school further away. ‘twas a good phone.

Written By: Dundee on 03/11/19 at 6:32 pm

Ugh @ Windows Vista nostalgia, that just gives me shivers just thinking about it ;D

Written By: aja675 on 03/11/19 at 7:11 pm

In 2006 I was released from a special needs boarding school 60 miles away from my home town (which I should not have had to attend) and when I came out I was very shy. I tried going to my local youth club to make friends but mostly just sat in the corner crippled by shyness and anxiety. Mostly because (I realise now) that going to that school had made me feel there was something wrong with me when there wasn't.

Anyway that took me about 5 years to get over, by which time it was 2011.

Ouch, I'm in a vaguely similar situation, and I dunno if my biggest fear about whether people are treating me nice because they think my IQ is 50 or whatever is true or not.

Written By: cowboy on 03/12/19 at 4:39 pm

Was Ne-Yo already big in this era? I've just rediscovered him. I'm impressed by his soulful songs. I was so done with rap and RnB that I failed to notice how many good tracks him, Akon and Mario had. I remember thinking Mario was going to be the next big thing lol.

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/12/19 at 5:19 pm

Was Ne-Yo already big in this era? I've just rediscovered him. I'm impressed by his soulful songs. I was so done with rap and RnB that I failed to notice how many good tracks him, Akon and Mario had. I remember thinking Mario was going to be the next big thing lol.

Yes, most definitely in 2006 & 2007. Especially with "So Sick." They used to play that song constantly, so I didn't really enjoy it at the time. However, now that it's not being overplayed, I realize the song is beautiful.

Written By: cowboy on 03/13/19 at 9:35 am

^^Heck, I just realized this is incredible. :) I remember seeing the video when it was brand new.
With songs like these, Crazy In Love and In Da Club, to me there's no contest, 2003-2004 hits were miles better than most of the 1996-2002 ones. In 2005-2007 the quality declined due to oversaturation, until the electropop era when pop music was fun again for me.
0J2QdDbelmY

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/19 at 11:09 am

What improved between 2003 and 2007 were mobile phones. Not only were they more powerful, but also looked miles better than the ones from the first half of the 2000s. For mobile phones 2003 and 2007 almost belong to separate eras.

These from 2003 look overstyled and kinda dorky now compared to these from 2007:
http://www.pcstats.com/articleimages/200301/Nokiacells_all.jpg  http://www.cellphonedigest.net/images/verizon-2007-line-up.jpg

Most of these flops are from the first half of the 2000s: http://www.techtree.com/content/features/7195/weirdest-mobile-phones-conceived.html
I miss the original Razr and Razr2 specifically. The foldable screen one that's out right now looks nowehere near as stylish.
BlackBerry's were also cool in that era with everyone talking about them.
I had the phone at the bottom right, I hated it!

Written By: cowboy on 03/18/19 at 10:12 am

Looking back, that era had better output by RnB and rap people like 50 Cent, Eminem, Beyonce, Mario, Nelly, Akon, Ne-Yo etc.

I can't believe I used to like Britney's Gimme More (the chorus sounds like someone burping), Piece Of Me (You want a piece of meat) or Do Somethin'. That Britney era didn't age well at all, unlike Madonna, Beyonce or Rihanna's output in those years. I also no longer care for Xtina's output from back then. Pop was so tacky in general, it's no surprise RnB and rap did better commercially. True pop for me got resurrected in 2008-2009.

Written By: Dundee on 03/18/19 at 2:45 pm

^Uhm, excuse me but Britney's Blackout is a Pop masterpiece that basically birthed the whole late 2000s Pop scene 8)

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HonoredSourAmericancrocodile-size_restricted.gif

Written By: GuapitoChico on 03/18/19 at 8:16 pm

I was in elementary school in those years. Definitely felt a cultural change between 2005/2006 (though in America, the change was probably more 2004/2005).

Written By: cowboy on 03/19/19 at 4:05 am

^Uhm, excuse me but Britney's Blackout is a Pop masterpiece that basically birthed the whole late late 2000s pop scene.

Come on, the "more" effects in the Gimme More chorus sound like a frog croak or burping. :D And the male-like Britney voice on Piece Of Me was so corny (sounds like it says "meat"). And her Blackout era music videos were of low quality. The whole era felt like a parody of campness. I prefer her 2013 offerings tbh.

Written By: fgbn on 03/19/19 at 9:27 am

my thoughts on them was that they were boring, i was 14-18 at the time so it was my teenage period
personally i rather spend that time in the late 90s/early 00s so id rather be born in like 1985

Written By: 2001 on 03/19/19 at 11:11 am

Come on, the "more" effects in the Gimme More chorus sound like a frog croak or burping. :D And the male-like Britney voice on Piece Of Me was so corny (sounds like it says "meat"). And her Blackout era music videos were of low quality. The whole era felt like a parody of campness. I prefer her 2013 offerings tbh.

Wow this post needs to be censored. Gimme More is one of the best pop songs of the 2000s. That bass!

Written By: cowboy on 03/19/19 at 11:47 am

I just prefer Crazy In Love and Stickwitu. :P

Written By: Dundee on 03/19/19 at 4:37 pm

You dare to put the effects of "Blackout" down, while praising "Britney Jean" which is full incoherent bleeps and bloops and synths glitching out that don't sound they would fit together? ;D At the very least I'd get if someone prefered the futuristic and very early 2010s-sounding "Femme Fatale" over it, but "Britney Jean"...

I guess to each their own, but Blackout is considered a modern Pop masterpiece for a reason :p

Yeah, the videos of that era were cheap but then again she wasn't exactly going through a simple time back then, and I personally think they have an unpolished and rough charm

Written By: Slim95 on 03/19/19 at 8:50 pm

I think Britney Spears looked the hottest in her music video "Me Against The Music" in 2003, the video with Madonna and her walking stick where they were kissing in the end of the video. It was right around the same time when the two kissed on stage.

Written By: 2001 on 03/20/19 at 10:13 am

I think Britney Spears looked the hottest in her music video "Me Against The Music" in 2003, the video with Madonna and her walking stick where they were kissing in the end of the video. It was right around the same time when the two kissed on stage.

The Toxic MV almost turned me straight.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/22/19 at 2:55 am

The Toxic MV almost turned me straight.

She was hot in that one too.

Written By: cowboy on 03/22/19 at 3:07 am

She was hot in that one too.

Yeah, especially with the crystals on her body.  :P 8)

On a more general terms, 2002/2003 school year was all about the then-new polyphonic ringtones here.

Written By: cowboy on 03/22/19 at 5:43 am

Ugh @ Windows Vista nostalgia, that just gives me shivers just thinking about it ;D

Vista looked the best imo. Dark windows with glass effects and a teal default background (it had teals within the UI as well). Windows 7 looked blander in comparison. Windows Media Player 11 looked better than 12 imho as well. Windows Mail and Movie Maker were still included, rather than separate downloads. It sure was a hog on release, but by SP1 it was fine.

Check for new replies or respond here...