inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2008 and on: These people radically changed the music landscape

Written By: doublejm1 on 01/28/16 at 7:22 am

I agree with others here who say Lady Gaga helped to usher in the electro-pop era around 2008-2009.

But let's not forget David Guetta's contributions to this movement. He (and a few years later, Calvin Harris) led the way in making electro-pop huge in the states. Everyone from Nicki Minaj and Rihanna to Usher and Lil Wayne has collaborated with these guys. The result? A melding of hip hop, pop, and electronica that we (as far as I can remember) never witnessed in the mid 2000s.

It feels like the 2010s have been all pop/electronica and little to no hip hop and R&B. I still see bands like Imagine Dragons and Fall Out Boy ("Uma Thurman") making music, but the emo era of 2004-2007 seems long gone.

Do you think the emo era will come back? Do you see this electro-pop movement losing steam anytime soon?

Subject: Re: 2008 and on: These people radically changed the music landscape

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/28/16 at 9:08 am

The 2010s is just nothing more than computerized pop. It's been significant for that. Also, hip hop has been one of its most popular genres of the decade.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/28/16 at 12:23 pm

I doubt emo will come back.  It was one of those fads like disco that many today want to forget was a thing.

I think Katy Perry and Ke$ha also contributed greatly to the musical change going into the '10s.  Adele and Rihanna also had a lot of impact.

You also can't overlook Rebecca Black, Carly Rae Jepsen, whoever did the Harlem Shake, and Psy for ushering in the era of pop songs popularized by viral videos.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/28/16 at 12:29 pm

If Emo ever comes back, it better be real Emo from 2001 and 2002 like Dashboard and Jimmy Eat World. There is actually an (not as good) Emo revival that goes back to the late 90's/early 00's style right now so you never know what could get big in the next few years.

Check for new replies or respond here...