inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite Gameboy Advance Remasters

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 01/28/16 at 12:19 pm

If you were a kid in the early-mid 00's you most certainly remember these remastered 8bit and 16bit classics on the GBA! What were some of your favorite GBA Remasters?

Here my top 5 in no particular order:

http://199.101.98.242/media/images/43262-Super_Mario_Advance_(U)(Eurasia)-9.jpg

http://www.museumofplay.org/online-collections/images/Z006/Z00689/Z0068903.jpg

http://www.museumofplay.org/online-collections/images/Z005/Z00579/Z0057933.jpg

http://www.gameexpress.com/images/product/original/045496731823F.JPG

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/6zHonusQ-Rs/hqdefault.jpg

Subject: Re: Favorite Gameboy Advance Remasters

Written By: mqg96 on 01/28/16 at 12:22 pm

Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 01/28/16 at 12:47 pm

Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World

That one was surely epic! I'm assuming that's your favorite Advance game?

Written By: mqg96 on 01/28/16 at 1:12 pm

That one was surely epic! I'm assuming that's your favorite Advance game?

Yeah, I didn't have as many Advance games as I wanted to. But that one and Mario Party Advance were my favorites. During my earlier years of playing video games I was obsessed with too many racing games for some reason.  :-[  but thank God I experienced Super Mario Advance 2, Super Smash Bros. Melee, and Grand Theft Auto III.

I didn't get into more platform, action/adventure, and shooting games until later on.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 01/28/16 at 1:34 pm

Yeah, I didn't have as many Advance games as I wanted to. But that one and Mario Party Advance were my favorites. During my earlier years of playing video games I was obsessed with too many racing games for some reason.  :-[  but thank God I experienced Super Mario Advance 2, Super Smash Bros. Melee, and Grand Theft Auto III.

I didn't get into more platform, action/adventure, and shooting games until later on.

I see, I was the complete opposite. I had the Crash, Spyro, & Liscensed Kiddy Platformers on the PS1, The Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, & other platformers on the PS2, & the GBA Remasters!

But at least you experienced Super Mario Advance 2, that game was awesome!

Written By: 2001 on 02/02/16 at 11:12 am

I should buy some of these. In general I need a portable that isn't my phone that can play these games. Why doesn't Nintendo but GBA games on the 3DS virtual console  >:( we all know it's possible with the ambassador program thing they did back in 2011.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/02/16 at 11:33 am

I should buy some of these. In general I need a portable that isn't my phone that can play these games. Why doesn't Nintendo but GBA games on the 3DS virtual console  >:( we all know it's possible with the ambassador program thing they did back in 2011.

I remember when the original DS and Lite used to allow DS games and Advance games together. The DS cartridge on top and the Advance cartridge on the bottom. That was the best thing about upgrading from a Gameboy Advance SP to a Nintendo DS for me. I'm so glad I didn't get into the DSi because that's when they took that feature away.

Written By: 2001 on 02/02/16 at 11:41 am

I remember when the original DS and Lite used to allow DS games and Advance games together. The DS cartridge on top and the Advance cartridge on the bottom. That was the best thing about upgrading from a Gameboy Advance SP to a Nintendo DS for me. I'm so glad I didn't get into the DSi because that's when they took that feature away.

Oh true! I still have my DS Lite, I should look into buying some of these games on eBay :) although I'd strongly prefer to keep everything on my 3DS.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/02/16 at 12:16 pm

Yeah that would be a great feature to have. Maybe they'll include it when the NX releases...

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/02/16 at 12:53 pm

My favorite of the remasters would probably be Mario Advance 2 as well. It was one of the first two games I got for my GBA in 2002 (the other being the equally awesome Metroid Fusion).

One of the cool updated features I really liked about Mario Advance 2 was the ability to keep all of your extra lives even after you turned the game off. That might not sound like much but one thing that always annoyed me when playing the original Super Mario World on my SNES as a kid was the fact that, even though you could save your progress, you would always lose all of the extra men that you'd earned, and would be back at just five lives when you booted the game back up. On the GBA remake, the game saved your extra lives whenever you stopped playing, which was awesome because I was always a master 1-Up hoarder on Mario World.

I still remember, on the file where I beat the game with all 96 exits found, I had something like 245 extra lives. :o

Written By: Toon on 02/02/16 at 1:08 pm

Donkey Kong Country 2
Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3
Super Mario Advances 2: Super Mario World
Pokemon Leaf Green (remake of Pokemon Blue/Green)
Zelda: A Link to the Past

I still laugh at the fact that the GBA is nothing more than a portable SNES. Allowed for some great SNES games to be played on the go.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/02/16 at 2:33 pm

My favorite of the remasters would probably be Mario Advance 2 as well. It was one of the first two games I got for my GBA in 2002 (the other being the equally awesome Metroid Fusion).

One of the cool updated features I really liked about Mario Advance 2 was the ability to keep all of your extra lives even after you turned the game off. That might not sound like much but one thing that always annoyed me when playing the original Super Mario World on my SNES as a kid was the fact that, even though you could save your progress, you would always lose all of the extra men that you'd earned, and would be back at just five lives when you booted the game back up. On the GBA remake, the game saved your extra lives whenever you stopped playing, which was awesome because I was always a master 1-Up hoarder on Mario World.

I still remember, on the file where I beat the game with all 96 exits found, I had something like 245 extra lives. :o

Yeah this was the first Mario game I ever played. I remember playing the original at my cousin's house when I was 4/5 years old, he's around your age and he had an SNES. I eventually got this game on GBA in 2003 and beat around in 2004. Then I got Super Mario Advance 1 in 04' and Super Mario Advance 4 (my personal favorite) in 05'. Those were the days 8)

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/02/16 at 2:34 pm

Donkey Kong Country 2
Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3
Super Mario Advances 2: Super Mario World
Pokemon Leaf Green (remake of Pokemon Blue/Green)
Zelda: A Link to the Past

I still laugh at the fact that the GBA is nothing more than a portable SNES. Allowed for some great SNES games to be played on the go.

I agree with this, Advance 4 is my favorite in the series. I personally never played DKC2 (either SNES or Remaster) but I keep hearing that it's the quintessential Donkey Kong experience. I guess I better play it sometime soon

Written By: SpyroKev on 02/02/16 at 4:49 pm

I'm amazed no one mentioned Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. That game was killer. I'll add that with Super Mario Bros 3.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/02/16 at 5:51 pm

I'm amazed no one mentioned Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. That game was killer. I'll add that with Super Mario Bros 3.

I personally never was a big fan of it, but to each his own

Written By: mqg96 on 02/02/16 at 9:06 pm

I personally never was a big fan of it, but to each his own

I didn't like any of the Yoshi Island games either. In fact, that Yoshi Island DS game I had was extremely hard af. Only 5 worlds, but those 5 worlds are so long and difficult. I don't like the controls that much and the level designs aren't that appealing to me. For some reason Yoshi's Island was so much harder than any of the Super Mario platform games whether its 2-D or 3-D and it's not even close.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/02/16 at 9:44 pm

I didn't like any of the Yoshi Island games either. In fact, that Yoshi Island DS game I had was extremely hard af. Only 5 worlds, but those 5 worlds are so long and difficult. I don't like the controls that much and the level designs aren't that appealing to me. For some reason Yoshi's Island was so much harder than any of the Super Mario platform games whether its 2-D or 3-D and it's not even close.

I agree! I was never really fond of the Yoshi style gameplay, with the exception of Super Mario World. Speaking about D.S games, did you ever play New Super Mario Bros.? I sure did :D, it was actually the game that made me get a D.S

Written By: mqg96 on 02/02/16 at 11:10 pm

I agree! I was never really fond of the Yoshi style gameplay, with the exception of Super Mario World. Speaking about D.S games, did you ever play New Super Mario Bros.? I sure did :D, it was actually the game that made me get a D.S

You could really say that Yoshi on Super Mario World is really the egg item anyway, just like on New Super Mario Bros. Wii or Super Mario Galaxy 2. Unlike the Yoshi Island series where the babies must be on Yoshi the whole time. To answer your question.... YES!!! Got it in Summer 2006! That was epic! I completed all of the levels, found all of the star coins, and found all of the alternative exits by myself without any cheat codes. I have so many memories of that game. New Super Mario Bros. was like the beginning of the Renaissance Age Mario would have throughout the late 2000's. The mega mushroom was introduced, and later Rosalina on Super Mario Galaxy. It was definitely one of the best DS games of all time. Oh, and not to mention the epic 2 player mode on New Super Mario Bros. with your friends or family. That blue shell item was my favorite and I loved all of the battle courses they had. The underrated part of New Super Mario Bros were the minigames lol. I think the most challenging part about New Super Mario Bros. was World 4 & 7, and the funny thing is that World 8 was slightly easier than World 7 for me, because I defeated Bowser before going back to unlock worlds 4 & 7 and I struggled with those a lot.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/03/16 at 8:43 am

You could really say that Yoshi on Super Mario World is really the egg item anyway, just like on New Super Mario Bros. Wii or Super Mario Galaxy 2. Unlike the Yoshi Island series where the babies must be on Yoshi the whole time. To answer your question.... YES!!! Got it in Summer 2006! That was epic! I completed all of the levels, found all of the star coins, and found all of the alternative exits by myself without any cheat codes. I have so many memories of that game. New Super Mario Bros. was like the beginning of the Renaissance Age Mario would have throughout the late 2000's. The mega mushroom was introduced, and later Rosalina on Super Mario Galaxy. It was definitely one of the best DS games of all time. Oh, and not to mention the epic 2 player mode on New Super Mario Bros. with your friends or family. That blue shell item was my favorite and I loved all of the battle courses they had. The underrated part of New Super Mario Bros were the minigames lol. I think the most challenging part about New Super Mario Bros. was World 4 & 7, and the funny thing is that World 8 was slightly easier than World 7 for me, because I defeated Bowser before going back to unlock worlds 4 & 7 and I struggled with those a lot.

Yeah New Super Mario Bros. was a great game. Perfect balance of traditional platforming, new and old powerups, and a more fleshed out move set for Mario! Also, I agree that the mid-late 2000's was a mini golden age for the Italian plumber with classics like New Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Galaxy, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, & ending off strong with Super Mario Galaxy 2! Mario is still an awesome series today, Super Mario 3D Land & Super Mario 3D World are great games, but it seems like the genre hasn't been pumping out great platformers as consistent as they were several years ago.

Also for me World 4 was pretty hard, but World 8 felt a little harder than World 7. Overall it was a great way to introduce the 2D style of Mario gameplay in the modern era. Even though we were already well seasoned with the 2d style gameplay with the GBA Remasters, it was still a fun and challenging game!

Check for new replies or respond here...