inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Seventh Generation of Video Game Consoles: A Retrospective

Written By: muppethammer26 on 02/04/16 at 5:59 pm

There was already a 6th gen version of this topic, so I wanted to create a 7th gen version. I don't know why so many people hated the 7th gen unlike the previous generations. No, the 7th gen wasn't FPS-exclusive. Instead, the 7th gen had a number of great games from different genres and the 7th gen was the first gen for online gaming to go into full swing and many games featured DLC expansions. It was also the beginning for motion control gaming with Wii Remote, Kinect and Playstation Move.

Microsoft Xbox 360 (American launch date: November 22, 2005)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a8/Xbox-360-Pro-wController.png
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/76/Xbox-360S-Console-Set.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/67/Microsoft-Xbox-360-E-wController.jpg

The Xbox 360 is a home video game console developed by Microsoft. As the successor to the original Xbox, it is the second console in the Xbox series. The Xbox 360 competes with Sony's PlayStation 3 and Nintendo's Wii as part of the seventh generation of video game consoles. The Xbox 360 was officially unveiled on MTV on May 12, 2005, with detailed launch and game information divulged later that month at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3).

The Xbox 360 features an online service, Xbox Live, which was expanded from its previous iteration on the original Xbox and received regular updates during the console's lifetime. Available in free and subscription-based varieties, Xbox Live allows users to: play games online; download games (through Xbox Live Arcade) and game demos; purchase and stream music, television programs, and films through the Xbox Music and Xbox Video portals; and access third-party content services through media streaming applications. In addition to online multimedia features, the Xbox 360 allows users to stream media from local PCs. Several peripherals have been released, including wireless controllers, expanded hard drive storage, and the Kinect motion sensing camera. The release of these additional services and peripherals helped the Xbox brand grow from gaming-only to encompassing all multimedia, turning it into a hub for living-room computing entertainment.

Launched worldwide across 2005–2006, the Xbox 360 was initially in short supply in many regions, including North America and Europe. The earliest versions of the console suffered from a high failure rate, indicated by the so-called "Red Ring of Death", necessitating an extension of the device's warranty period. Microsoft released two redesigned models of the console: the Xbox 360 S in 2010, and the Xbox 360 E in 2013. As of June 2014, 84 million Xbox 360 consoles have been sold worldwide, making it the sixth-highest-selling video game console in history. Although not the best-selling console of its generation, the Xbox 360 was deemed by TechRadar to be the most influential through its emphasis on digital media distribution and multiplayer gaming on Xbox Live. The Xbox 360's successor, the Xbox One, was released on November 22, 2013. Microsoft has stated they plan to support the Xbox 360 until 2016. The Xbox One is also backwards compatible with the Xbox 360.

Sony PlayStation 3 (American launch date: November 17, 2006)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d3/PS3Versions.png

The PlayStation 3 (PS3) is a home video game console produced by Sony Computer Entertainment. It is the successor to PlayStation 2, as part of the PlayStation series. It competes with Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Nintendo's Wii as part of the seventh generation of video game consoles. It was first released on November 11, 2006, in Japan, with international markets following shortly thereafter.

The console was first officially announced at Electronic Entertainment Expo 2005, and was released at the end of 2006. It was the first console to use Blu-ray Disc as its primary storage medium. Major features of the console include its unified online gaming service, PlayStation Network, and its connectivity with PlayStation Portable and PlayStation Vita, In September 2009 the updated PlayStation 3 Slim, was released. This Slim is lighter and thinner than the original version, which notably featured a re-designed logo and marketing design. A further refined Super Slim design was released in late 2012. As of November 2, 2013, PlayStation 3 has sold 80 million units worldwide. Its successor, the PlayStation 4, was released in November 2013.

The PlayStation Now service can be used to stream a selection of PlayStation 3 games on devices including the PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, and even the PlayStation 3 itself.

On September 29, 2015, Sony confirmed that it had discontinued production of the PlayStation 3 in New Zealand.

Nintendo Wii (American launch date: November 19, 2006)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f3/Wii-Console.png
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b8/Wii-Mini-Console-Set-H.jpg

The Wii (/ˈwiː/ wee) is a home video game console released by Nintendo on November 19, 2006. As a seventh-generation console, the Wii competes with Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Sony's PlayStation 3. Nintendo states that its console targets a broader demographic than that of the two others. As of the first quarter of 2012, the Wii leads its generation over PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in worldwide sales, with more than 101 million units sold; in December 2009, the console broke the sales record for a single month in the United States.

The Wii introduced the Wii Remote controller, which can be used as a handheld pointing device and which detects movement in three dimensions. Another notable feature of the console is the now defunct WiiConnect24, which enabled it to receive messages and updates over the Internet while in standby mode. Like other seventh-generation consoles, it features a game download service, called "Virtual Console", which features emulated games from past systems.

It succeeded the GameCube, and early models are fully backward-compatible with all GameCube games and most accessories. Nintendo first spoke of the console at the E3 2004 press conference and later unveiled it at E3 2005. Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata revealed a prototype of the controller at the September 2005 Tokyo Game Show. At E3 2006, the console won the first of several awards. By December 8, 2006, it had completed its launch in the four key markets.

In late 2011, Nintendo released a reconfigured model, the "Wii Family Edition", which lacks Nintendo GameCube compatibility; this model was not released in Japan. The Wii Mini, Nintendo's first major console redesign since the compact SNES, succeeded the standard Wii model and was released first in Canada on December 7, 2012. The Wii Mini can only play Wii optical discs, as it omits GameCube compatibility and all networking capabilities. The Wii's successor, the Wii U, was released on November 18, 2012. On October 20, 2013, Nintendo confirmed it had discontinued production of the Wii in Japan and Europe, although the Wii Mini is still in production and available in Europe.

The Sales Result

Wii: 101.56 million units sold
Xbox 360: 84.4 million units sold
PlayStation 3: 80 million units sold

Subject: Re: The Seventh Generation of Video Game Consoles: A Retrospective

Written By: 2001 on 02/04/16 at 6:02 pm

Controversial opinion: I prefer 7th gen to 6th gen. 7th Gen had much better multiplayer games.

The DS is also my favourite system of all time. Well either the DS or N64, but it's close.

I'll see myself out.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/04/16 at 6:29 pm

Controversial opinion: I prefer 7th gen to 6th gen. 7th Gen had much better multiplayer games.

The DS is also my favourite system of all time. Well either the DS or N64, but it's close.

I'll see myself out.

The 64 and DS had my top favorite Mario Kart games of all time. Console and handheld. Let's get real here though, 1st party Nintendo gaming wise, the Wii and DS had better Mario, Donkey Kong, Wario, etc. games than what the GameCube and Gameboy Advance offered.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/04/16 at 6:34 pm

adjfQj1shFE

Written By: Toon on 02/04/16 at 6:56 pm

I'll see myself out.

You'll see yourself out after I knock you out with this bat!  >:( You dare say such a terrible thing!  >:( >:(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/04/16 at 8:13 pm

This was the first generation of video games that I heard of. Because around 2008, I got myself a Wii, DS, and a PSP. Before that, I was more into computer/browser games like Shockwave or Wildtangent.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/04/16 at 8:47 pm

The thing about the 7th generation was that it was unusually longer than other gaming generations, thus it made the generation pretty boring and unexciting towards the end. I can't speak for everybody but for me the generation was at its best from the years of 2007-2009, basically when HD Graphics were the new thing and in the case for the Wii you had some awesome (at the time) motion controls. These elements IMO were the WOW factors of the 7th generation in the late 00's similar to how 3D graphics were the WOW factor in the 5th generation OR how 8 bit sprites were the WOW factor in the 3rd generation.

During this time between Late 2006 and Early 2010 you had the Wii which was at its peak in popularity and had kickass games like Twilight Princess (technically released in mind for the Gamecube but was more popular on Wii), Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart Wii, & Super Smash Bros Brawl; Xbox 360 with Halo 3, Gears of War, Halo 3 ODST, The Orange Box, & Call of Duty Modern Warfare (which was popular on Xbox the most); despite sluggish sales, the PS3 had heavy hitters like Resistance, Infamous, Ratchet and Clank Tools of Destruction, Little Big Planet, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, & Uncharted; & PC had Portal & Crysis 3!

Don't get me wrong you still had great 7th generation games post 2010, but the WOW factor most definitely tappered off around then. TBH, the only console that was pushing their console to the limit graphically and gameplay wise in the early 2010's was the PS3 with heavy hitters like God of War 3, Uncharted 3, & The Last of Us. I personally think if the 7th generation ended around in 2010/11, it wouldn't have been as dreadful to many people as it is now and people would most likely look back on it fondly. But since the generation just ended 2 years ago, a generation that began literally a decade ago I remind you, people are just generally burned out.

I'd give it at least 5-10 years until the 7th generation starts to become nostalgic for most people. Heck many people on here are already nostalgic of the early years from 2005-2007, but remember this generation lasted from 2005-2013 (only including home consoles), that's a long ass time. And for some people on here it could've easily been their first console. Heck someone our age was 9 when the 360 came out and for some people our age (although this rare) it could've been their first console!

Written By: Zelek2 on 02/04/16 at 8:50 pm

I can't speak for everybody but for me the generation was at its best from the years of 2007-2009,

That's funny, most people I know think gen 7 was at its best from 2005-late 2007, before DLC and microtransactions got out of control.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/04/16 at 8:59 pm

That's funny, most people I know think gen 7 was at its best from 2005-late 2007, before DLC and microtransactions got out of control.

2005-2006 was still in the transition period from 6th generation to 7th generation. 7th generation didn't really peak until 2007, and I agree with Ocarina on the best years of 7th generation being from 2007-2009, whether it was Wii games you enjoyed, XBOX 360, or even the DS or PSP as well. 3rd generation having the 8 bit sprites, 3D graphics in 5th generation, and then the craze of HD graphics and early online gaming with 7th generation made it exciting. There's even many franchises that died out during 7th generation or hasn't had a big title game in a long time. Like Burnout, Crash Bandicoot, or many others. It had its very last games during the early 7th generation era, that peaked throughout 5th & 6th generation.

Written By: Toon on 02/04/16 at 9:31 pm

7th gen had its great moments. I just hated the DLC, Micro transactions, and the gimmicky motion controls.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/04/16 at 10:41 pm

adjfQj1shFE

Thanks for showing me "Corey Margera" bro! He's a real cool user and I've been looking through his videos. I really enjoyed his "Gamecube was underrated" video as well!

Written By: Howard on 02/05/16 at 5:41 am

PlayStation 3 (American launch date: November 17, 2006)

Man, has it been a decade already?  :o

Written By: Howard on 02/05/16 at 5:43 am

7th gen had its great moments. I just hated the DLC, Micro transactions, and the gimmicky motion controls.

I don't mind paying for characters for DLC on my wrestling game but I'd rather have it for free then to have to pay for it out of my pocket.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 02/05/16 at 6:38 am

I don't mind paying for characters for DLC on my wrestling game but I'd rather have it for free then to have to pay for it out of my pocket.

Some developers even take parts of a completed game out and charge extra price for them, so they can become DLC.

Written By: Howard on 02/05/16 at 6:45 am

Some developers even take parts of a completed game out and charge extra price for them, so they can become DLC.

like a bundle of them they want you to pay $9.99.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/05/16 at 11:06 am

I'll say this about 7th generation, what a LONG journey this was! Late grade school and High School, the PS3 and XBOX 360 were the systems. I can credit the Wii for making me personally HATE Nintendo, this was the generation where they betrayed the fans and became a corporate sellout pussies. >:(  The Wii looked like a BABY's toy, sure adults enjoyed it, but it was their most immature console probably to date. >:(  It was SHOCKING to see them go from Nintendo 64 era to the wii era. >:(  The first half of the 7th gen was EXCELLENT! DLC wasn't over the top, the console wars were cool, and the games were groundbreaking. Then..... 2010 happened! >:( >:( >:(  Microsoft and Sony showed their true colors. Gaming became overexposed and too commercialized in the early 2010s. PS3 may have been in it's prime in the early 2010s, but gaming entered it's current phase during that time and gaming became no longer fun to me! :\'(  It led to the bullsheesh we have today. 7th gen started kinda slow, peaked, and ended with a bang.... but the latter years of the 7th gen were a hit or miss, ushering in the 8th gen which is THE WORST gaming generation of the post Gaming crash!

Written By: mqg96 on 02/05/16 at 11:17 am

I'll say this about 7th generation, what a LONG journey this was! Late grade school and High School, the PS3 and XBOX 360 were the systems. I can credit the Wii for making me personally HATE Nintendo, this was the generation where they betrayed the fans and became a corporate sellout pussies. >:(  The Wii looked like a BABY's toy, sure adults enjoyed it, but it was their most immature console probably to date. >:(  It was SHOCKING to see them go from Nintendo 64 era to the wii era. >:(  The first half of the 7th gen was EXCELLENT! DLC wasn't over the top, the console wars were cool, and the games were groundbreaking. Then..... 2010 happened! >:( >:( >:(  Microsoft and Sony showed their true colors. Gaming became overexposed and too commercialized in the early 2010s. PS3 may have been in it's prime in the early 2010s, but gaming entered it's current phase during that time and gaming became no longer fun to me! :\'(  It led to the bullsheesh we have today. 7th gen started kinda slow, peaked, and ended with a bang.... but the latter years of the 7th gen were a hit or miss, ushering in the 8th gen which is THE WORST gaming generation of the post Gaming crash!

I will say it again, when it comes to the 1st party games like Mario, Wario, Donkey Kong, etc. the Wii games in that part were an improvement from the Gamecube, but other than that, a lot of 2nd party or 3rd party franchises for Nintendo that were still going on strong during the 64 and Gamecube era had died off by the time the Wii came along. Like seriously, other than really good Mario games or Super Smash Bros. Brawl being real good, what else did the Wii have? Why were there so many baby & educational games for the Wii? What happened to more mature games like Star Fox or F-Zero? I agree with you on this one 100%. This is why I wish a lot of people didn't take the Gamecube for granted. Maybe it wasn't on the same level of popularity as the 64 but at least the Gamecube still had tons more variety and tried, unlike the Wii's epic failure just focusing on motion control games and that was it..... (just exaggerating). The PS3 and XBOX 360 were definitely competing in the 7th generation era but ended with a disappointment. I think the popularity of a lot of people buying the games just for the online experience on games COD Modern Warfare or Black Ops, really hurt other franchises and it caused them to focus on mainstream success instead of them caring about actual/real gamers who were into so many other variety of franchises and genres.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/05/16 at 11:27 am

I will say it again, when it comes to the 1st party games like Mario, Wario, Donkey Kong, etc. the Wii games in that part were an improvement from the Gamecube, but other than that, a lot of 2nd party or 3rd party franchises for Nintendo that were still going on strong during the 64 and Gamecube era had died off by the time the Wii came along. Like seriously, other than really good Mario games or Super Smash Bros. Brawl being real good, what else did the Wii have? Why were there so many baby & educational games for the Wii? What happened to more mature games like Star Fox or F-Zero? I agree with you on this one 100%. This is why I wish a lot of people didn't take the Gamecube for granted. Maybe it wasn't on the same level of popularity as the 64 but at least the Gamecube still had tons more variety and tried, unlike the Wii's epic failure just focusing on motion control games and that was it..... (just exaggerating). The PS3 and XBOX 360 were definitely competing in the 7th generation but ended with a disappointment. I think the popularity of a lot of people buying the games just for the online experience on games COD Modern Warfare or Black Ops, really hurt other franchises and it caused them to focus on mainstream success instead of them caring about actual/real gamers who were into so many other variety of genres.

Now everything is just shooters. shooter shooters shooters,  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
I'm tired of the blandness of games, I want the diversity in gaming back. 7th gen started that shooting, sports game, causal gamer bullsheesh.

XBOX 360 kicking the PS3's ass during the first half also hurt gaming too. It showed that Sony was out of touch, and still thought it was the 90s and early-mid 2000s, they got cocky because the won the last generation in a landslide, so they overpriced the PS3, had NO GAMES for it, and it cost them. If PS3 had one that generation things would be even different today!

Written By: mqg96 on 02/05/16 at 11:47 am

Also, I'll say one thing about the Wii that I'll give a lot of credit for was the Virtual Console channel which allowed you to buy NES, SNES, or N64 games on there. That was really amazing. However, similar scenario could be said about the XBOX 360 allowing XBOX games, or the PS3 allowing PS1 games. I know there were tons of DLC on the XBOX 360, and I'm pretty sure the same for the PS3 as well.

Written By: Toon on 02/05/16 at 12:03 pm

Now everything is just shooters. shooter shooters shooters,  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
I'm tired of the blandness of games, I want the diversity in gaming back. 7th gen started that shooting, sports game, causal gamer bullsheesh.

XBOX 360 kicking the PS3's ass during the first half also hurt gaming too. It showed that Sony was out of touch, and still thought it was the 90s and early-mid 2000s, they got cocky because the won the last generation in a landslide, so they overpriced the PS3, had NO GAMES for it, and it cost them. If PS3 had one that generation things would be even different today!

Speaking of shooters don't you just hate that fact that half the big games at E3 are usually shooters? You get all excited for some new games only to be upset that about half of them involve shooting. >:( :( :-\\ ???  Sony's Golden age was from late 1995 -  late 2006 ( November 1995 is when the PS1 came to North America and November 2006 is when the Ps3 was released which ends the golden age ). With the PS1 and PS2 Sony were on top of the world. They had so many different kinds of games. Nintendo couldn't stand a chance. Neither could Microsoft. And Sega had to stop making consoles. That's just how powerful Sony was. And once again I'm tired of the fact that everything has to be a shooting game. Look at the PS1's and PS2's library of games and compare them to the PS3's and PS4's library. Heck I remember when Mark Cerny and Yoshida mentioned how they “Yeah, we hate to see all the PS4 games being FPS or action-adventure or very photorealistic” as even they knew most of the PS3's games  weren't as diverse as the PS1/PS2. The PS4 has diversity, but it's not as much as the older consoles did. Although I am happy that the PS4 is selling really well.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/05/16 at 12:12 pm

Speaking of shooters don't you just hate that fact that half the big games at E3 are usually shooters?  >:( :( :-\\ ???

3 different types of people

Your true gamers, casual gamers, and non-gamers. It's weird how the Wii ended up being Nintendo's highest sold console up to date, but why is that?

9nBZiQqhncI

and while I disagree with some of his points in this video, at the same time I have to agree with A LOT of why he views things this way. Eliminate the Mario games or SSBB, and think of the direction Nintendo went in once the Wii came out.

Written By: Toon on 02/05/16 at 12:29 pm

3 different types of people

Your true gamers, casual gamers, and non-gamers. It's weird how the Wii ended up being Nintendo's highest sold console up to date, but why is that?

9nBZiQqhncI

and while I disagree with some of his points in this video, at the same time I have to agree with A LOT of why he views things this way. Eliminate the Mario games or SSBB, and think of the direction Nintendo went in once the Wii came out.

Everyone says that Nintendo's success was a "lucky success". They only had the highest sells because they appeal to "casual gamers". There are far more casuals than "truegamers". Also the reason the Wii is considered a "false success" is because despite the Wii selling 100 million consoles over half the amount of people who bought it only played it a few times then just stopped playing the Wii and let it collect dust. So by the end of the 7th gen they'd have sold the Wii to all those people, but barely any of those people were still playing the Wii by the end. Yeah, I also agree with his points. Nintendo was mainly targeting the casual audience which is what angered a lot of people. The reason they did this was because with the Gamecube they targeted the true-gaming audience and ended up with a failing console in the end. By the 8th console gen I didn't even know what Nintendo was trying to do with the Wii U, but it ended up selling less than the Gamecube did.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/05/16 at 12:36 pm

The reason they did this was because with the Gamecube they targeted the true-gaming audience and ended up with a failing console in the end. By the 8th console gen I didn't even know what Nintendo was trying to do with the Wii U, but it ended up selling less than the Gamecube did.

This is what angers me the most about Nintendo. I don't care what anybody says, but I loved all of the N64 games and Gamecube games equally. (despite not owning a 64 unfortunately but played it enough at other people's houses or places). It's just that people took the Gamecube for granted because of either the standard design of the console looking too kiddish (which I think was a stupid excuse) or the fact that it wasn't competing with a Sega console anymore. When the N64 was in its prime it still had a Sega console to compete with, but by the time the Gamecube came out the last Sega console got discontinued, which may have hurt them in the long run despite still trying hard to appeal to true Nintendo gamers with not just 1st party games, but also many great 2nd & 3rd party games for the Nintendo that were still around as well. Just to let people know, I'm not hating on ANY games at all. I'm just disappointed with the direction the company ended up going in.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/05/16 at 12:39 pm

This is what angers me the most about Nintendo. I don't care what anybody says, but I loved all of the N64 games and Gamecube games equally. (despite not owning a 64). It's just that people took the Gamecube for granted because of either the design of the console looking to kiddish (which I think is a stupid excuse) or the fact that it wasn't competing with a Sega console anymore. When the N64 was in its prime it still had a Sega console to compete with, but by the time the Gamecube came out the last Sega console got discontinued, which may have hurt them despite them still trying hard to appeal to true Nintendo gamers with not just 1st party games, but also many great 2nd & 3rd party games for the Nintendo that were still around as well. Just to let people know, I'm not hating on ANY games at all. I'm just disappointed with the direction the company ended up going in.

That's another reason the GameCube struggled, the business was changing from that SEGA/Nintendo way to the modern gaming mentality.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/05/16 at 12:41 pm

Everyone says that Nintendo's success was a "lucky success". They only had the highest sells because they appeal to "casual gamers". There are far more casuals than "truegamers". Also the reason the Wii is considered a "false success" is because despite the Wii selling 100 million consoles over half the amount of people who bought it only played it a few times then just stopped playing the Wii and let it collect dust. So by the end of the 7th gen they'd have sold the Wii to all those people, but barely any of those people were still playing the Wii by the end. Yeah, I also agree with his points. Nintendo was mainly targeting the casual audience which is what angered a lot of people. The reason they did this was because with the Gamecube they targeted the true-gaming audience and ended up with a failing console in the end. By the 8th console gen I didn't even know what Nintendo was trying to do with the Wii U, but it ended up selling less than the Gamecube did.

Here's rich and Jarek's video about Nintendo!
gxY9Le0ssyA

Written By: Toon on 02/05/16 at 12:51 pm

This is what angers me the most about Nintendo. I don't care what anybody says, but I loved all of the N64 games and Gamecube games equally. (despite not owning a 64 unfortunately but played it enough at other people's houses or places). It's just that people took the Gamecube for granted because of either the standard design of the console looking too kiddish (which I think was a stupid excuse) or the fact that it wasn't competing with a Sega console anymore. When the N64 was in its prime it still had a Sega console to compete with, but by the time the Gamecube came out the last Sega console got discontinued, which may have hurt them despite them still trying hard to appeal to true Nintendo gamers with not just 1st party games, but also many great 2nd & 3rd party games for the Nintendo that were still around as well. Just to let people know, I'm not hating on ANY games at all. I'm just disappointed with the direction the company ended up going in.

My favorite Nintendo consoles are the Nintendo 64 and Gamecube (Or in terms of year spans 1996 - 2006). Both of them ended up failing to the Playstation consoles. Heck when Xbox came outta nowhere and also managed to beat the Gamecube I guess Nintendo just decided to change directions. The gamecube's "kiddy image" and small discs were making it obvious to people that Nintendo weren't really keeping up with the competition, I think. Sega going out of business for consoles has more to do with Sega being run by a bunch of monkeys. Their handling of the Sega Saturn was stupid which ended up hurting them in the long run with the Dreamcast.  The only true console war was in the 4th console gen. 5th - 8th gens didn't have actual console wars as there would always be that 1 console (usually Sony's) that's just destroying the competition. In the 4th gen it was seen as a close match between Nintendo and Sega. It probably would've stayed that way if Sony never made consoles.  Also Nintendo was always in a tough spot when it came to games. They can make good games, but they can't make a lot of them. You'd buy a Nintendo console and end up waiting months just for 1 Nintendo game sometimes. On the NES Nintendo had 1st, 2nd, and 3rd party due to being the only real successful console. The Genesis came along and stole some of the SNES's 3rd party devs. And the Playstation 1/Playsation 2 stole nearly everything. With the Wii U people were upset that it takes too long for the next big games to arrive. According to recent news there are only 5% of devs who're making Wii U games. The other 95% are making Xbox 1, PS4, and PC games.

Nowadays a lot of things Nintendo does annoys the heck outta me. I loved the N64/GC, but I'm mixed on the Wii and Wii U. Hopefully the Nintendo NX is good.

Written By: Toon on 02/05/16 at 12:54 pm

Here's rich and Jarek's video about Nintendo!
gxY9Le0ssyA

I remember seeing that video a while back. I agree with a lot of things from it.

Written By: Howard on 02/05/16 at 7:25 pm

When did they start asking people to pay for DLC, Was it this generation? ???

Written By: SpyroKev on 02/05/16 at 7:57 pm

I had almost zero interest in seventh gen gaming. All I played major was Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Saints Row 3 and Skyrim. Now its basically zero.

Written By: Toon on 02/05/16 at 8:38 pm

A few games from the 7th gen I can count put in my "favs of all time" list. Sonic Unleashed , New Super Mario Bros, Xenoblade Chronicles, Last of Us, Rayman Legends, Rayman Origins, and a bunch of indie games. The 7th gen is not bad at all, but I don't have much interest in it.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/05/16 at 8:48 pm

A few games from the 7th gen I can count put in my "favs of all time" list. Sonic Unleashed , New Super Mario Bros, Xenoblade Chronicles, Last of Us, Rayman Legends, Rayman Origins, and a bunch of indie games. The 7th gen is not bad at all, but I don't have much interest in it.

Mine would be Super Mario Galaxy, New Super Mario Bros, Mario Kart DS, Call of Duty Black Ops, Saints Row 2, Batman: Arkham City, and Madden 25.

Written By: Toon on 02/05/16 at 8:54 pm

Mine would be Super Mario Galaxy, New Super Mario Bros, Mario Kart DS, Call of Duty Black Ops, Saints Row 2, Batman: Arkham City, and Madden 25.

I did enjoy Galaxy. It was a pretty fun game. And Mario Kart DS was also fun. Same for CoD Black Ops for a while.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 02/06/16 at 8:25 am

I did enjoy Galaxy. It was a pretty fun game. And Mario Kart DS was also fun. Same for CoD Black Ops for a while.

I have played all the Call of Duties from COD4 to COD Ghosts on the Xbox 360 and I pretty much liked all of them. I used to play them a lot and I still do play Call of Duty.

Written By: 2001 on 02/10/16 at 9:41 pm

Anyone who was on YouTube back then remember Chad Warden the Sony fanboy? He used to have me on the floor laughing! Seriously, he's one of the best trolls I've ever seen, he had it down to an art. He could troll and out-troll Jordan easily.

(warning: swearing, racial slurs)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyufDxxWIsM

Written By: Toon on 02/10/16 at 9:48 pm

Anyone who was on YouTube back then remember Chad Warden the Sony fanboy? He used to have me on the floor laughing! Seriously, he's one of the best trolls I've ever seen, he had it down to an art. He could troll and out-troll Jordan easily.

Now this brings back some memories. I use to watch this vid just for laughs. The early 7th gen years were pretty interesting. Going online and seeing everyone hyped for the consoles and arguing over which one is the best.

Written By: 2001 on 02/10/16 at 9:57 pm

Now this brings back some memories. I use to watch this vid just for laughs. The early 7th gen years were pretty interesting. Going online and seeing everyone hyped for the consoles and arguing over which one is the best.

I never thought I'd get nostalgic for him! He was part of the problem of societal decadence as far as I was concerned LOL

Written By: Toon on 02/10/16 at 10:18 pm

I never thought I'd get nostalgic for him! He was part of the problem of societal decadence as far as I was concerned LOL

I'm not nostalgic for him as I'm not the biggest fan of console wars as it's nothing more than people acting like they're little kids online. Insulting one another for liking a different machine that plays video games. But I did enjoy watching the funny videos on youtube. Makes me wonder what the creator is thinking now when looking back at that old vid.

Written By: 2001 on 02/10/16 at 10:55 pm

I'm not nostalgic for him as I'm not the biggest fan of console wars as it's nothing more than people acting like they're little kids online. Insulting one another for liking a different machine that plays video games. But I did enjoy watching the funny videos on youtube. Makes me wonder what the creator is thinking now when looking back at that old vid.

Lol the console wars were the best :P You missed out man. The console wars were hilarious for the GIFs alone. I remember when Final Fantasy 13 was announced for the Xbox 360 (so it wasn't a PS3 exclusive). The meltdowns were legendary. It's not like they couldn't play the game, it was still going to be on the PS3, but they still had a meltdown it wasn't exclusive anymore!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=327004&page=67 (I'm not sure if you can see the thread without an account, but here's the epic post)

Square just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFXIII for either system, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and cancel FFXIII for 360 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 02/11/16 at 2:52 pm

Lol the console wars were the best :P You missed out man. The console wars were hilarious for the GIFs alone. I remember when Final Fantasy 13 was announced for the Xbox 360 (so it wasn't a PS3 exclusive). The meltdowns were legendary. It's not like they couldn't play the game, it was still going to be on the PS3, but they still had a meltdown it wasn't exclusive anymore!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=327004&page=67 (I'm not sure if you can see the thread without an account, but here's the epic post)

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFXIII for either system, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and cancel FFXIII for 360 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Why would you want Square to cancel FFXIII for the Xbox 360? Square is a 3rd-party comapny, so they can do what they want. Just let Square release FFXV for both the Xbox One and the PS4.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/11/16 at 2:55 pm

Why would you want Square to cancel FFXIII for the Xbox 360? Square is a 3rd-party comapny, so they can do what they want. Just let Square release FFXV for both the Xbox One and the PS4.

The reason being until FFXIII Final Fantasy was exclusive to Playstation consoles from VII to XII. From VI and before they were exclusive to Nintendo consoles. So the announcement that XIII was going to be a multiplat, was pretty damn transformative!

Written By: 2001 on 02/11/16 at 3:03 pm

The reason being until FFXIII Final Fantasy was exclusive to Playstation consoles from VII to XII. From VI and before they were exclusive to Nintendo consoles. So the announcement that XIII was going to be a multiplat, was pretty damn transformative!

Yep. It was considered a "betrayal" to Sony fans. We even have a name for it, "betrayalton" (megaton/gigaton that's a betrayal). More examples of betrayalton are when Resident Evil 5 was announced for the Xbox 360 or when Dragon Quest 8 was announced for the DS (that one came out of nowhere). There were huge Internet meltdowns surrounding those.

Written By: Howard on 02/11/16 at 3:37 pm

Why does he sound like a black kid?  ???

Written By: Toon on 02/11/16 at 4:10 pm

Hey I never miss out when though I wanted to. Hard to go on youtube or forum without a bunch of fanboys telling me what console they think is the best. The issue with fanboy peasents is that they usually only own 1 console while I always own all consoles.  8) I do love the console wars gifs though. After every E3 all you have to do is just look up "Console War gifs" and you'll be in for some crazy laughter.  When FF13 was announced for the PS3 I never understood the rage that people were having. Releasing a game on multiple platforms won't ruin them. The thing with gamers is that their word means nothing in the end as they're going to buy the game regardless anyways. Japan to me is just weird, but it's not just Japan that's like that. I even see that flawed mentality over here in North America. FF13 was a success. And Kingdom Hearts 3 and Final Fantasy 15 will probably share the same success. I laugh at those people who take things WAY too seriously. I mean it's just video games! Even Squenix knows that gamers will purchase their games despite backlash. Releasing on multiple platforms is what a company does to make money. Exclusivity is only done because in most cases due to having a partnership. But when a company needs money they'll do whatever will keep them afloat. More platform means more gamers can buy the game which means more profit which means that the company can use that profit to make even more games which keeps them in business. Money is what it's all about .......sadly.

All fanboy peasants will forever be inferior to me! Owning all platforms gives me access to all games.  8) 8)

Written By: Toon on 02/11/16 at 4:42 pm

Speaking of Console Wars... I always love the gifs. While I don't like to be a part of Console Wars I do find it enjoyable to sit back and watch people act like kids over game machines. Always watch the E3 streams and look at the comments in the streams. Grab some popcorn and a drink. Sit back and enjoy the show.
http://img.ifcdn.com/images/7252277b78ed11d5a5c0dce95fecc9745693b593a4f9c96ccb0062f21d69ac7e_1.gifhttp://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/981/926/1e0.gif

http://img.ifcdn.com/images/b4dd63e1a9fc85b9d54edb25d76c2e8b68c25d6141364cc5bf2d246ac9a47ddc_1.gifhttp://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/644/684/1f2.gif

http://static.gamespot.com/uploads/original/1531/15319244/2507225-7179764064-origi.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/1xVfPm1.jpg

http://img.ifcdn.com/images/90ab390a05cdcfc8fd1a390e00d2c31cb2382ea76b1baad95afd5f4bbd8fae64_1.gifhttp://orig13.deviantart.net/f98f/f/2014/132/6/c/max_payne_pc_vs_consoles_by_newstuff88-d7i68sr.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/Qf41jNYexqE9O/giphy.gifhttp://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/643/246/82a.gif

Wonder if any of you are watching E3 2016

Written By: Howard on 12/12/18 at 1:40 pm

I still own a PS3 but I only have just one game.

Written By: John Titor on 12/12/18 at 1:56 pm

I still own a PS3 but I only have just one game.

Everyone hated ps3 when it first came out, despite 2005 hyping it up lol

Thing never sold until 2009

Written By: John Titor on 12/12/18 at 1:58 pm

The thing about the 7th generation was that it was unusually longer than other gaming generations, thus it made the generation pretty boring and unexciting towards the end. I can't speak for everybody but for me the generation was at its best from the years of 2007-2009, basically when HD Graphics were the new thing and in the case for the Wii you had some awesome (at the time) motion controls. These elements IMO were the WOW factors of the 7th generation in the late 00's similar to how 3D graphics were the WOW factor in the 5th generation OR how 8 bit sprites were the WOW factor in the 3rd generation.

During this time between Late 2006 and Early 2010 you had the Wii which was at its peak in popularity and had kickass games like Twilight Princess (technically released in mind for the Gamecube but was more popular on Wii), Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart Wii, & Super Smash Bros Brawl; Xbox 360 with Halo 3, Gears of War, Halo 3 ODST, The Orange Box, & Call of Duty Modern Warfare (which was popular on Xbox the most); despite sluggish sales, the PS3 had heavy hitters like Resistance, Infamous, Ratchet and Clank Tools of Destruction, Little Big Planet, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, & Uncharted; & PC had Portal & Crysis 3!

Don't get me wrong you still had great 7th generation games post 2010, but the WOW factor most definitely tappered off around then. TBH, the only console that was pushing their console to the limit graphically and gameplay wise in the early 2010's was the PS3 with heavy hitters like God of War 3, Uncharted 3, & The Last of Us. I personally think if the 7th generation ended around in 2010/11, it wouldn't have been as dreadful to many people as it is now and people would most likely look back on it fondly. But since the generation just ended 2 years ago, a generation that began literally a decade ago I remind you, people are just generally burned out.

I'd give it at least 5-10 years until the 7th generation starts to become nostalgic for most people. Heck many people on here are already nostalgic of the early years from 2005-2007, but remember this generation lasted from 2005-2013 (only including home consoles), that's a long ass time. And for some people on here it could've easily been their first console. Heck someone our age was 9 when the 360 came out and for some people our age (although this rare) it could've been their first console!

It was suppose to end in 2010 but because of the economy crashing 7th gen stayed until 2013

Written By: Howard on 12/12/18 at 2:08 pm

Everyone hated ps3 when it first came out, despite 2005 hyping it up lol

Thing never sold until 2009

Is it wrong for me to still keep mine? I like it cause it has Hulu, Netflix, Crackle and an internet search.

Written By: John Titor on 12/12/18 at 2:44 pm

Is it wrong for me to still keep mine? I like it cause it has Hulu, Netflix, Crackle and an internet search.

get an apple tv much better for your needs

Written By: Howard on 12/13/18 at 9:07 am

get an apple tv much better for your needs

Nah, I think I will stick with PS3 for a while.

Written By: John Titor on 12/13/18 at 4:13 pm

Nah, I think I will stick with PS3 for a while.

Apple tv runs netlix and hulu better and also has Sling Tv and Direc TV now

Written By: Howard on 12/14/18 at 7:13 am

Apple tv runs netlix and hulu better and also has Sling Tv and Direc TV now

How much does an Apple TV cost? ???

Written By: John Titor on 12/14/18 at 12:19 pm

How much does an Apple TV cost? ???

you can get one for 80

IF you want cable tv via streaming live apps, Good netflix app, good hulu app
get an apple tv,  They have a 4K tv version but you can opt for a cheaper one

Written By: Howard on 12/14/18 at 1:35 pm

you can get one for 80

IF you want cable tv via streaming live apps, Good netflix app, good hulu app
get an apple tv,  They have a 4K tv version but you can opt for a cheaper one

I'll just stick with what I have, thanks anyways.

Written By: John Titor on 12/26/18 at 11:29 am

I'll just stick with what I have, thanks anyways.

:)

Check for new replies or respond here...