inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Non-US members: Was Myspace popular in your country?

Written By: 2001 on 02/07/16 at 4:40 pm

I was thinking in the "defining generations" thread that 1984-1990 would be core Millennials, but I couldn't deny that people who said that Myspace is a defining Core Y trait were right about 1984-1986 borns missing out on that.

But in Canada, Myspace was never really all that popular. Some people had it, but I threw it in the heep pile of all the social media websites that were popular back then, like Bebo, Facbeook, Hi5, Friendster, Okrut etc. I thought it was for people with nothing better to do.

In Canada, I feel that all throughout 1999 - 2008, MSN was the dominant way of communicating for teens.

This analysis written in May 2007 confirms my hunches:

https://www.9thco.com/insight/myspace-goes-canadian

In Canada in the middle of 2007, the most popular social media sites were:

1. MSN/Live Spaces (you get a Live Spaces account automatically if you sign up for MSN)
2. Google's Blogger (another disconnect I feel since I hear most Americans talk about Xanga, some of my friends had Xanga, but Blogger was way bigger)
3. Facebook
4. Myspace

So Facebook was always more popular here than Myspace, even in 2006/2007, but MSN was by far the king.

I feel like my friends across the pond in the UK will have similar things to say, since I had a lot of online friends from the UK back then, but I'm not completely sure. What do you guys think?

Subject: Re: Non-US members: Was Myspace popular in your country?

Written By: aja675 on 02/17/16 at 6:26 am

In the Philippines, and many countries in Asia, Friendster was more popular.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/17/16 at 8:14 am

Twitter seems to be the most popular in most countries now. I can't speak for all though.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/17/16 at 9:00 am

Twitter is popular here with the stars and ordinary people, I cannot be bothered to be involved.

Written By: Arrowstone on 02/17/16 at 9:05 am

Here in the Netherlands myspace was known, but indeed msn was the way to go. There was a more popular dutch social website Hyves. Only from 2009 onward, people really migrated to facebook; most got fb in 2010.

Twitter is only really used by celebs or journalists; I don't know any one with twitter.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/17/16 at 9:07 am

Twitter is popular here with the stars and ordinary people, I cannot be bothered to be involved.

Me neither. Twitter's for dorks.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/17/16 at 9:18 am

On 15 February 2016, actor and Stephen Fry deleted his Twitter account, after receiving criticism for a tweet about Jenny Beavan and her dress at the BAFTA Awards.

Written By: Howard on 02/17/16 at 2:40 pm

I don't use Twitter either, don't care. ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/17/16 at 2:43 pm

Too much badness seems to stem from it.

Written By: 2001 on 02/17/16 at 5:11 pm

Here in the Netherlands myspace was known, but indeed msn was the way to go. There was a more popular dutch social website Hyves. Only from 2009 onward, people really migrated to facebook; most got fb in 2010.

Twitter is only really used by celebs or journalists; I don't know any one with twitter.

My experiences as well.

Written By: 2001 on 02/17/16 at 5:17 pm

;D I guess I'm bit of a dork. Tell me something I don't know.  :P

I like Twitter. I follow mostly fellow language learners and programmers. It's a lot of super intelligent people sharing ideas, it's easily my favourite social media site. I usually also tweet about language learning, programs/scripts I'm writing and about other hobbyist projects I'm doing like how I just ordered a Raspberry Pi yesterday. I sometimes can't help tweet about benign topics such as my personal life or the most boring topic known to man, Canadian politics. I try to keep tweets about that to a minimum though.

Other than that, Twitter will always be my favourite because all my favourite bloggers in the late 2000s had one, and it allowed me to interact with them more. Extremely intelligent and interesting people. Unlike me or the kids in my high school  ;D

Twitter is as good as the people you follow.

Check for new replies or respond here...