inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 00s: The Most Rapid, Changeful Decade?

Written By: Zelek2 on 02/08/16 at 3:45 pm

It's been said before but the 00s seemed to me like one of the most rapid, changeful decades ever.

Like, in the year 2000, Pokemania was big. Video games, trading card games, with anime (with Misty), movies, soundtracks, pajamas, etc.

But by 2007 - only a mere SEVEN years later - Pokemon had of a feeling of "that's in the past, it's all been done before, that's ancient history, the world was a much different place back then, etc." I even remember some of my friends in college starting to get nostalgic for the Pokemon craze, despite that only being a mere SEVEN years ago!

By contrast, in 2016, I don't see anyone saying Angry Birds was a fond childhood memory, despite the release time between that and now being 8 years.

It seems that around 2004-2006, pop culture kind of lost its old, dated sheen and became shiny and new, and still remains shiny and new, to the point where it gets harder and harder to become nostalgic for more recent things.

Example: I can probably imagine a game like Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex becoming retro in a few years (if it isn't already), but I can NEVER imagine a game like Crash of the Titans being retro, despite that only coming out 6 years later.

Subject: Re: 00s: The Most Rapid, Changeful Decade?

Written By: bchris02 on 02/08/16 at 3:49 pm

It's been said before but the 00s seemed to me like one of the most rapid, changeful decades ever.

Like, in the year 2000, Pokemania was big. Video games, trading card games, with anime (with Misty), movies, soundtracks, pajamas, etc.

But by 2007 - only a mere SEVEN years later - Pokemon had of a feeling of "that's in the past, it's all been done before, that's ancient history, the world was a much different place back then, etc." I even remember some of my friends in college starting to get nostalgic for the Pokemon craze, despite that only being a mere SEVEN years ago!

By contrast, in 2016, I don't see anyone saying Angry Birds was a fond childhood memory, despite the release time between that and now being 8 years.

It seems that around 2004-2006, pop culture kind of lost its old, dated sheen and became shiny and new, and still remains shiny and new, to the point where it gets harder and harder to become nostalgic for more recent things.

Example: I can probably imagine the PS2 becoming retro in a few years, but I can never imagine the Wii being retro, despite that only coming out 6 years later.
Modify message

I would say the '90s were the most rapid, changeful decade.  1999 was a lot farther from 1990 than 2009 was from 2000.  The '90s saw the end of the Cold War, end of the Reagan-Bush era, three distinct eras of music and fashion, and the rise of the Internet era.  In 1990, music was still purchased primarily on cassette or vinyl unless you were an early adopter of CDs.  In 1999, it was primarily CD and the digital era was starting to burgeon.

I'll put it this way.  In 2009, you could dress like you did in 2000 and get away with it.  In 1999, you couldn't dress like you did in 1990.

Written By: #Infinity on 02/08/16 at 4:21 pm

Yep, exactly what bchris02 said.  The early, mid, and late 90s were such distinct periods that they could practically qualify as entire cultural decades compressed into the span of a few years each.  The opposite ends of the 1990s are entire worlds apart.  Hip hop went from MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice in 1990 to Jay-Z and Eminem in 1999, pop went from Michael Bolton and Paula Abdul in 1990 to Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera in 1999, hard rock went from Poison and Warrant in 1990 to Limp Bizkit and Korn in 1999, the gaming industry went from the NES still being the dominant console at the beginning of the decade to the Dreamcast receiving a lot of popularity in 1999, blockbuster films went from Total Recall and Die Hard 2 in 1990 to The Matrix and The Phantom Menace in 1999.  Cassettes were still more popular than CD's in 1990, while mp3 sharing sites were a big craze by 1999.  The Internet hardly existed whatsoever in 1990, whereas plenty of households were connected by 1999, with major websites such as Amazon.com now fully established.  Fashion went from being dominated by gigantic perms, mullets, eraser tops, acid wash clothing, and neon colors in 1990 to tube tops, sweatpants, crop tops, A&F clothing, bobs cuts, spiked frosted tips, and pigtails by 1999.  To be fair, while there are certain things that tie the cultural early 90s to the Y2K era, such as alternative rock, the rise of global neoliberalism, and new-jack swing influences in pop (or at least rhythms that shuffle and pop), the entire atmospheres between the different periods of the 90s are still extremely distant from each other.

Probably the most significant innovations of the 2000s were social media websites and online video.  While I think 2000 leans a bit more towards the 90s and 2009 is a bit closer to the 2010s, that doesn't mean the 2000s themselves were that changeful.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/08/16 at 4:49 pm

Nope the 60s and 90s were. Maybe to those who grew up during the decade it may have seemed changeful.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/08/16 at 4:58 pm

2000's were rapid in technology, political events, television, & economics. It was certainly more rapid than most decades but it wasn't as rapid as the 60's or the 90's IMO

Written By: Zelek2 on 02/08/16 at 5:05 pm

2000's were rapid in technology, political events, television, & economics. It was certainly more rapid than most decades but it wasn't as rapid as the 60's or the 90's IMO

You're a fan of Pokemon, right?

Well, let's say you re-watched some of the movies in 2007. Did they ever give you a feeling of "This is rooted in the distant past", even though they only came out 7 years ago?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/08/16 at 5:09 pm

Well, let's say you re-watched some of the movies in 2007. Did they ever give you a feeling of "This is rooted in the distant past", even though they only came out 7 years ago?

I rewtached Pokemon the Frist Movie and Pokemon 2000 in 2006/07ish, and they felt like it had been a few years. BUT it didn't feel like it had been FOREVER!

Written By: Toon on 02/08/16 at 5:10 pm

Nope the 60s and 90s were. Maybe to those who grew up during the decade it may have seemed changeful.

Yeah, the 1990's changes were a bit more rapid than the 2000s. The 2000s changed as well, but it wasn't to the same degree as the 1990s. 1980s was probably the last decade to feel consistent for most of the way through. Although the 2010s also feels more consistent (but this decade isn't over yet so I can't judge fairly, but so far it doesn't have as many rapid changes as the 1990s or even the 2000s).

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/08/16 at 5:51 pm

Yeah, the 1990's changes were a bit more rapid than the 2000s. The 2000s changed as well, but it wasn't to the same degree as the 1990s. 1980s was probably the last decade to feel consistent for most of the way through. Although the 2010s also feels more consistent (but this decade isn't over yet so I can't judge fairly, but so far it doesn't have as many rapid changes as the 1990s or even the 2000s).

Yeah, I felt like the 2010s were more slow than any decade in the late 20th century. I felt like late 2009 to mid 2010 transitioned from being the late 2000s to the early 2010s. Same with how late 2013 to mid 2014 transitioned from being the early 2010s to the mid 2010s. And I can't f*cking wait for the late 2010s to start, since this decade is really boring to me.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/08/16 at 7:22 pm

Pokemon The Movie was dated at that point no questions asked, but IDK if I would say 'distant past' at that point. Heck I'm not sure I'd consider anything from the early 2000's 'extremely distant' even by 2016 standards! Certainly dated, and or borderline retro though.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/08/16 at 7:23 pm

Also finally at 1000 Posts!!!

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/08/16 at 7:30 pm

They were definitely a rapidly changing decade but there are some connections between say 2004 and 2009. A lot of the music, fashions and trends that started in 2004 were still relevant and current in 2009 despite society transitioning away from that. Green Day released 21st Century Breakdown in 2009 which could be considered the sequel to American Garbage Idiot from 2004. Same crappy style, same bullsh!t political posturing. 2000-2002 on the other hand, isn't even the real 2000's and shouldn't be consider as such. They're closer to years of the 90's than the 00's.

Written By: Toon on 02/08/16 at 7:36 pm

Pokemon The Movie was dated at that point no questions asked, but IDK if I would say 'distant past' at that point. Heck I'm not sure I'd consider anything from the early 2000's 'extremely distant' even by 2016 standards! Certainly dated, and or borderline retro though.

To me the early '00s is very dated. Fashion, Music, Tech etc are nothing like how it is today. To me anything that is around 15+ years old is retro.

Written By: Zelek2 on 02/08/16 at 8:21 pm

As I said before, it seems like some kind of "border" was set up in 2005-2007 preventing things from after that point ever being "old".

Take for example the game Crash Bandicoot: The wrath of cortex (as I mentioned in my Op). Even though that was a mediocre game, I could pretty easily imagine it being seen as retro in 3-4 years. Then take a game like Crash of the Titans. Even ignoring whether or not that game was bad, I just can't ever imagine it being retro.

It seems that in-between those six years, the world crossed over into an "HD" plane of existence, similar to Dorothy entering the color universe in the Wizard of Oz. ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/08/16 at 8:27 pm

As I said before, it seems like some kind of "border" was set up in 2005-2007 preventing things from after that point ever being "old".

Take for example the game Crash Bandicoot: The wrath of cortex (as I mentioned in my Op). Even though that was a mediocre game, I could pretty easily imagine it being seen as retro in 3-4 years. Then take a game like Crash of the Titans. Even ignoring whether or not that game was bad, I just can't ever imagine it being retro.

It seems that in-between those six years, the world crossed over into an "HD" plane of existence, similar to Dorothy entering the color universe in the Wizard of Oz. ;D

Crash of the Titans was crap. One of the worst Crash games. Wrath of Cortex is pretty sick if you ask me. I'd extent that boarder to 2004 because things from 2004-2009 just seem outdated but still got that digital feel. They don't feel old, just not as current unlike good ol' 2000, 2001 and 2002 which feel more like years of the 20th century and are very distant from today.

2004-2009, man what an awful, awful time. It was like some weird perpetual MySpace dimension filled with bad poetry and sh!tty versions of the genres and bands I liked. I wish I could be glad it's over but the 2010's are just as bad, if not worse.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/08/16 at 10:23 pm

Crash of the Titans was crap. One of the worst Crash games. Wrath of Cortex is pretty sick if you ask me. I'd extent that boarder to 2004 because things from 2004-2009 just seem outdated but still got that digital feel. They don't feel old, just not as current unlike good ol' 2000, 2001 and 2002 which feel more like years of the 20th century and are very distant from today.

2004-2009, man what an awful, awful time. It was like some weird perpetual MySpace dimension filled with bad poetry and sh!tty versions of the genres and bands I liked. I wish I could be glad it's over but the 2010's are just as bad, if not worse.

Glad I didn't get Crash of the Titans as I had stopped playing Crash Bandicoot games by then. I got Crash Wrath of Cortex for my XBOX in 2004 and it was awesome, but I think it was the most challenging Crash Bandicoot game of the entire series. Crash Team Racing and Nitro Kart were epic too!

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/08/16 at 10:27 pm

Glad I didn't get Crash of the Titans as I had stopped playing Crash Bandicoot games by then. I got Crash Wrath of Cortex for my XBOX in 2004 and it was awesome, but I think it was the most challenging Crash Bandicoot game of the entire series. Crash Team Racing and Nitro Kart were epic too!

Haha, yeah man, it's the worst! I think Twinsanity is the last great Crash came. Wrath of Cortex was pretty difficult, huh? I can't tell you how many times I've gotten stuck in that game. I actually don't think I've finished it yet. I gotta dig out my old games so I can play them again! I liked the Crash racing games, too. They're lots of fun! I remember Tag Team racing being pretty decent too but not as good as the original one.

Written By: Zelek2 on 02/09/16 at 1:25 am

Like I said before, in 2007, it seemed "normal" for Gen Y college-aged kids to consider Pokemon a fond childhood memory. However, it's 2016, and I don't see anyone reminiscing on something like Angry Birds, even as late Yers/early Zers have turned college-aged. This is despite the gap between 2008 and now being the same amount as the time between Pokemania and 2007!

I honestly think a switch got flipped around 2004-2007 that made the world "perpetually modern", to the point where anything post-2005 being nostalgic just feels dirty and wrong. ;D

Written By: Zelek2 on 02/09/16 at 1:30 am

Wrath of Cortex is pretty sick if you ask me.

Wrath of Cortex had some really cool trance music, but I felt it lacked the "polish" of the PS1 games. The controls and physics felt a bit "floaty" compared to the Naughty Dog games, which were smooth as butter.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/09/16 at 1:38 am

I honestly think a switch got flipped around 2004-2007 that made the world "perpetually modern", to the point where anything post-2005 being nostalgic just feels dirty and wrong. ;D

I agree with this. But I'd still extend it back to 2004. :P

Wrath of Cortex had some really cool trance music, but I felt it lacked the "polish" of the PS1 games. The controls and physics felt a bit "floaty" compared to the Naughty Dog games, which were smooth as butter.

You've got a point there. It's definitely not as good as the ol' PS1 games but it definitely is a lot of fun and I wouldn't call it a horrible game at all.

Written By: Bobtheplaystationguy on 02/09/16 at 4:12 am

Like I said before, in 2007, it seemed "normal" for Gen Y college-aged kids to consider Pokemon a fond childhood memory. However, it's 2016, and I don't see anyone reminiscing on something like Angry Birds, even as late Yers/early Zers have turned college-aged. This is despite the gap between 2008 and now being the same amount as the time between Pokemania and 2007!

I agree with you about everything from the mid 2000's onwards seeming modern, but in my opinion pokemon and angry birds are not comparable. Pokemon was a big part of millions of peoples childhoods, including my own, whilst angry birds was just some crappy smartphone game that go so hyped up it pissed people off.

Written By: Bobtheplaystationguy on 02/09/16 at 6:07 am

If you compare the beginning of each decade in recent history to the end, regarding pop culture, politics etc, and the overall vibe, they are all very changeful and I'm not sure which I would pick as the most, but in my opinion the 1970's and the 2010's (I predict) are the least changeful.

Written By: ArcticFox on 02/09/16 at 7:56 am

I terms of technology, I guess. We went from game boys in 2000 to iPhones as powerful as Dreamcasts in 2009. We went from aol and aim dial-up Internet to video streaming and media downloading in 2009. We went from CRT TVs to enormous flatscreen high definition televisions. We went from massive CD players and boom boxes to teeny tiny iPod shuffles. Our PC operating systems were more advanced than ever before. The aughts provided a lot of changes.

In terms of popular culture, that's going to be a definite no. After 2001, you can see it slowly evolve throughout the rest of the decade. You can see the roots of 2008 media in 2002! Both the 1990s and the 2010s have seen much more rapid cultural changes, but at different paces.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/09/16 at 10:21 am

I terms of technology, I guess. We went from game boys in 2000 to iPhones as powerful as Dreamcasts in 2009. We went from aol and aim dial-up Internet to video streaming and media downloading in 2009. We went from CRT TVs to enormous flatscreen high definition televisions. We went from massive CD players and boom boxes to teeny tiny iPod shuffles. Our PC operating systems were more advanced than ever before. The aughts provided a lot of changes.

Does that compare to the changes in tech in the '90s though?  At the beginning of 1990, the original NES was the best gaming system that was offered.  By 1999, we had PlayStation, N64, and Dreamcast.

In 1990, a home computer was likely a 386SX at only 8 or 16 Mhz.  It usually had a 40 or 60 MB hard drive and ran on DOS.  Likely had no CD-ROM and used either 3.5" floppy or the old 5.25" floppy.  There was no Internet as we know it today.  In 1999 on the other hand, we had 1GHz computers, CD-ROM was commonplace, CD burners were starting to take off, most computers ran Windows 98, and the Internet was commonplace (dial-up) and broadband was in its early stages of adoption.

As far as music, in 1990 most people listened to vinyl or cassettes.  CDs were around in the '80s but it took some time for them to catch on.  In 1999, both formats had been completely replaced by CD and the MP3 was starting to become a menace to the music industry via Napster.

Written By: #Infinity on 02/09/16 at 10:33 am

Does that compare to the changes in tech in the '90s though?  At the beginning of 1990, the original NES was the best gaming system that was offered.  By 1999, we had PlayStation, N64, and Dreamcast.

To be fair, the Sega Genesis was already out in the United States by 1990, and the Super Famicom came out in Japan later that year; it's just that 1990 was basically the commercial peak of the NES because it was when Super Mario Bros. 3 came out.

As far as music, in 1990 most people listened to vinyl or cassettes.  CDs were around in the '80s but it took some time for them to catch on.  In 1999, both formats had been completely replaced by CD and the MP3 was starting to become a menace to the music industry via Napster.

Actually, CD's were already decently popular in 1990, though more people still used cassettes.  Almost nobody bought vinyls anymore in 1990, either; the format had been in decline since the beginning of the 1980s and finally became virtually nonexistent by decade's end.  Still, CD's and mp3's becoming far more popular than cassettes by 1999 is a pretty huge leap.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/09/16 at 11:30 am

To be fair, the Sega Genesis was already out in the United States by 1990, and the Super Famicom came out in Japan later that year; it's just that 1990 was basically the commercial peak of the NES because it was when Super Mario Bros. 3 came out.

My bad.  For some reason I thought Sega Genesis came out in 1991.  I remember that is when I first started seeing it a lot more at friends' houses.

Actually, CD's were already decently popular in 1990, though more people still used cassettes.  Almost nobody bought vinyls anymore in 1990, either; the format had been in decline since the beginning of the 1980s and finally became virtually nonexistent by decade's end.  Still, CD's and mp3's becoming far more popular than cassettes by 1999 is a pretty huge leap.

http://cdn.business2community.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/music-sales1.png.png

This is an interesting chart that shows the rise and fall of various music formats.  You are right, vinyl died about 1990.  But I do remember a lot of people still listening to vinyl in the early '90s, even if it was only stuff left over from the '80s and older decades.  Most people had not yet repurchased their vinyl collection on CD or cassette.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/09/16 at 11:49 am

In 1990, a home computer was likely a 386SX at only 8 or 16 Mhz.  It usually had a 40 or 60 MB hard drive and ran on DOS.  Likely had no CD-ROM and used either 3.5" floppy or the old 5.25" floppy.  There was no Internet as we know it today.  In 1999 on the other hand, we had 1GHz computers, CD-ROM was commonplace, CD burners were starting to take off, most computers ran Windows 98, and the Internet was commonplace (dial-up) and broadband was in its early stages of adoption.

Can't we just agree that both decades were rapid just for different things?

90's for tech, fashion, video games, & movies

00's for tech, television, & political events

Written By: bchris02 on 02/09/16 at 1:10 pm

Can't we just agree that both decades were rapid just for different things?

90's for tech, fashion, video games, & movies

00's for tech, television, & political events

One thing I will give you for the '00s is kid culture.  Things changed for '90s kids but not as rapidly as they did for '00s kids.

In 2000, most kids and even teenagers didn't have cell phones.  In 2009 elementary school students had them. Kids still played outside in 2000.  Online gaming consoles weren't a thing yet.  If you wanted to play video games with friends, you had them over and played split screen.  In 2009, they were glued to their Xboxes.    I can't comment on the cartoons during the latter two-thirds of the decade, but I know it started with Pokemon and Spongebob Squarepants and ended with Hannah Montana and Aqua Teen Hunger Force.  In 2000 Disney was coming out of its renaissance era and was still the dominant force in family-oriented feature films.  As the '00s progressed, Dreamworks overtook Disney.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/09/16 at 1:37 pm

One thing I will give you for the '00s is kid culture.  Things changed for '90s kids but not as rapidly as they did for '00s kids.

In 2000, most kids and even teenagers didn't have cell phones.  In 2009 elementary school students had them. Kids still played outside in 2000.  Online gaming consoles weren't a thing yet.  If you wanted to play video games with friends, you had them over and played split screen.  In 2009, they were glued to their Xboxes.    I can't comment on the cartoons during the latter two-thirds of the decade, but I know it started with Pokemon and Spongebob Squarepants and ended with Hannah Montana and Aqua Teen Hunger Force.  In 2000 Disney was coming out of its renaissance era and was still the dominant force in family-oriented feature films.  As the '00s progressed, Dreamworks overtook Disney.

Yeah 2000-2004 was basically just a continuation of the 1990's Golden Age when it came to kid centric culture like toys, trading cards, cartoons, etc., which was the tail end of Gen Y Kid Culture.

2005-2009 in contrast was a dark age in children's entertainment and was around when kids started to stay inside more often and technology started to take over our lives, aka the rise of Gen Z Kid Culture.

Written By: Zelek2 on 02/09/16 at 1:43 pm

2005-2009 in contrast was a dark age in children's entertainment and was around when kids started to stay inside more often and technology started to take over our lives, aka the rise of Gen Z Kid Culture.

I liked 2005 and the first 2/3rds of 2006

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/09/16 at 1:45 pm

YES!!
The kids culture from the first half of the decade still had the 90s Golden age cartoon and kid tv shows, toys, and games... The second half of the decade we entered a dark age for kid culture in general.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/09/16 at 1:58 pm

When it comes to Kid centric culture its almost as if there were 2 decades in one:

lhVR9LrdbMc

Notice the datedness (I'd argue retro) of many of the ads, the 80's/90's cars on the road, the very goofy 90's'esque advertisements, and the early 00's fashion trends

xTvr1HpKqWI

Notice how this looks very modern and recent even though this was in the same decade as the prior ad, commercials are using CGI & flash animation, skinny jeans among other late 00s/early 10's fashion trends are present, and the modern'esque ads

Though to be fair the first one was in the very start of the decade while the second was at the very end.

Written By: Zelek2 on 02/09/16 at 2:04 pm

Slightly unrelated, but is anyone here from Virginia? Do you remember watching the "Malcolm-Simpsons-Raymond-Friends Power Hour" on WZ-TV Fox, back around 2000-2005? Those were good times for me.

Written By: 2001 on 02/09/16 at 3:55 pm

It really is too early for early '10s nostalgia. You are right about some form of early 2000s nostalgia existing back in 2007/08 though. I remember on the forums I'd go on there was a lot of nostalgia for Pokemon, Digimon, Dragon Ball Z, N64, Sugar on YTV (Canada) etc. but they weren't nostalgic for the calendar years just yet. We we were still in the core of the Bush era and pretty much everyone saw the entirety of the 2000s as a lost decade despite key nostalgia items.

Written By: 2001 on 02/09/16 at 3:59 pm

As for technology, I'd say the 60s were the most rapid. Pretty much all the technology we use today is a consumer-friendly version of something that was invented in the 60s.

For any decade after the 60s, it really is a toss-up between the 90s and the 2010s (especially in software). Technology was feeling stagnant around the mid-2000s (2002 - 2005ish). The iPod was great but did not really change the way we live our lives. Although looking retrospectively, we had great improvements like YouTube and Wikipedia etc. I don't think these caught on until the late 2000s.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/09/16 at 3:59 pm

The 1960's probably is more rapid. I mean, look at 1960 and 1970. What a huge difference!

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/09/16 at 4:07 pm

There was a huge difference in the decade of the 1940s, especially after WW2.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/09/16 at 4:45 pm

As for technology, I'd say the 60s were the most rapid. Pretty much all the technology we use today is a consumer-friendly version of something that was invented in the 60s.

For any decade after the 60s, it really is a toss-up between the 90s and the 2010s (especially in software). Technology was feeling stagnant around the mid-2000s (2002 - 2005ish). The iPod was great but did not really change the way we live our lives. Although looking retrospectively, we had great improvements like YouTube and Wikipedia etc. I don't think these caught on until the late 2000s.

But... but... 2002 tech and 2005 tech felt a lot different! Windows 98, dial-up and discmans in one year, XP, iPods and broadband in the next!

Written By: 2001 on 02/09/16 at 5:03 pm

But... but... 2002 tech and 2005 tech felt a lot different! Windows 98, dial-up and discmans in one year, XP, iPods and broadband in the next!

I should say 2003-2005 is when it felt stagnant, possibly a bit of 2006 as well. 2002 is when the technology started getting adopted.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/09/16 at 5:08 pm

I should say 2003-2005 is when it felt stagnant, possibly a bit of 2006 as well. 2002 is when the technology started getting adopted.

Yeah, I can see that but I think that's only really for DVD (which still wasn't dominant over VHS until the next year). XP, the iPod and broadband were still felt pretty insignificant until 2003 at the earilest. (Yeah, Yeah, I know. Jordan's at it again!! ;D)

Written By: 2001 on 02/09/16 at 5:13 pm

Yeah, I can see that but I think that's only really for DVD (which still wasn't dominant over VHS until the next year). XP, the iPod and broadband were still felt pretty insignificant until 2003 at the earilest. (Yeah, Yeah, I know. Jordan's at it again!! ;D)

I think since Broadband and XP were already around, they weren't really anything special by 2003. iPod in 2004 felt new though.

Written By: 2001 on 02/09/16 at 5:17 pm

It's like how touchscreen smartphones overtook dumbphones in 2012, but by then they were already old news.

I also have a hard time counting YouTube as a technological improvement, since there were many other video-viewing websites at the time. Though I guess people who are more involved in YouTube communities, follow channels etc. might think otherwise.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/09/16 at 5:20 pm

I think since Broadband and XP were already around, they weren't really anything special by 2003. iPod in 2004 felt new though.

I can see your point. They weren't new things (Jesus, Broadband has been around since the mid 90's!!) but it's just that they finally caught on. It still felt like a big change from the dial-up and Windows 98 or 1998-2002, though. Didn't XP and the iPod came out the same year? They seem pretty similar to me. XP - starts off rough and is known to be venerable to viruses. In late 2003 SP1a is released; a huge improvement on the software and from there on XP really starts picking up. iPod - early release is only Mac compatible and doesn't really catch on. In 2004 a USB compatible version that works with the PC comes out and the iPod starts really catching on. This is coming from the dude who grew up in silicon valley, too. :P That area is supposed to be technologically focused and super advanced.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/09/16 at 5:22 pm

I think the early-mid 2000's were pretty changeful if you ask me. Lets use 2002 & 2006 as examples:

2002: Most people watched movies on VHS, DVD was starting to become a viable option to many people

2006: Most people watched movies on DVD, VHS was now borderline retro despite still being common a few years prior, and Blu Ray & HD DVD were now released to the public

2002: Most people played music on CDs, boomboxes, & discmans

2006: Most people played music on iPods or other Mp3s, boomboxes only used during family events

2002: Internet in the Web 1.0 Era, dial up is the standard, and all in all is not a necessity

2006: Internet in the Web 2.0 Era, broadband is the standard, and all in all is a necessity

2002: No modern social media, chatrooms at peak in popularity

2006: Social media sites like myspace, facebook & (to a lesser extent), twitter

2002: Most people used camcorders to record video and would later watch the recorded video on a tape

2006: Most people used digital cameras or webcams to record video and would later watch it on tv or upload it onto YouTube

2002: Cell Phones weren't a necessity, payphones and pagers were still common

2006: Cell Phones were a necessity, payphones and pagers were now extinct

2002: CRT TVs were the only way to watch television, Home Theaters were rare

2006: HD TVs were now starting to become a viable option for many people, Home Theaters were starting to become common

2002: Local/Split Screen Multiplayer Gaming was the standard

2006: Fast/Online Multiplayer Gaming was starting to become the standard

2002: If you were lost you would have to use a map, GPS systems were in their infancy

2006: If you were lost you could use a GPS system, maps weren't as dominant as they once were

Those are just a few examples I could think of

Written By: 2001 on 02/09/16 at 5:35 pm

I think the early-mid 2000's were pretty changeful if you ask me. Lets use 2002 & 2006 as examples:

2002: Most people watched movies on VHS, DVD was starting to become a viable option to many people

2006: Most people watched movies on DVD, VHS is now borderline retro despite still being common a few years prior, and Blu Ray & HD DVD were now released to the public

2002: Most people played music on CDs, boomboxes, & discmans

2006: Most people played music on iPods or other Mp3s, boomboxes only used during family events

2002: Internet in the Web 1.0 Era, dial up is the standard, and all in all is not a necessity

2006: Internet in the Web 2.0 Era, broadband is the standard, and all in all is a necessity

2002: No modern social media, chatrooms at peak in popularity

2006: Social media sites like myspace, facebook & (to a lesser extent), twitter

2002: Most people used camcorders to record video and would later watch the recorded video on a tape

2006: Most people used digital cameras or webcams to record video and would later watch it on tv or upload it onto YouTube

2002: Cell Phones weren't a necessity, payphones and pagers were still common

2006: Cell Phones were a necessity, payphones and pagers were now extinct

2002: CRT TVs were the only way to watch television, Home Theaters were rare

2006: HD TVs were now starting to become a viable option for many people, Home Theaters were starting to become common

2002: Local/Split Screen Multiplayer Gaming was the standard

2006: Fast/Online Multiplayer Gaming was starting to become the standard

2002: If you were lost you would have to use a map, GPS systems were in their infancy

2006: If you were lost you could use a GPS system, maps weren't as dominant as they once were

Those are just a few examples I could think of

DVD had existed for a while in 2002 so it wasn't exactly exciting technology, even then.

Web 2.0 sites were pretty common in 2002. Not dominant but it's not as if it wasn't there.

Well the social media thing depends on the country. In Canada MSN was dominant in 1999, 2002, 2006 and even 2008 :P I think even in the US, Myspace was dominated mostly by teenagers and children. I don't remember any adults raving about it.

I'll give you the camcorder one although my family bought a digital camera in 2003.

Most adults I knew had a cellphone in 2002. I don't think I ever saw a pager.

I feel HDTVs only got popular towards the very end of 2006. 2006 is still a CRT TV year.

Xbox 360 sold poorly in 2005/most of 2006. Online gaming on PC was pretty popular in both 2002 and 2006.

GPSes were very expensive in 2006.

Written By: Brian06 on 02/09/16 at 5:37 pm

DVD had existed for a while in 2002 so it wasn't exactly exciting technology, even then.

Web 2.0 sites were pretty common in 2002.

Well the social media thing depends on the country. In Canada MSN was dominant in 1999, 2002, 2006 and even 2008 :P I think even in the US, Myspace was dominated mostly by teenagers and children. I don't remember any adults raving about it.

I'll give you the camcorder one although my family bought a digital camera in 2003.

I feel HDTVs only got popular towards the very end of 2006. 2006 is still a CRT TV year.

Xbox 360 sold poorly in 2005/most of 2006. Online gaming on PC was pretty popular in both 2002 and 2006.

GPSes were very expensive in 2006.

There were CRT HDTVs in the early-mid 00s actually, they're not necessarily separate things. Most early HDTVs (late '90s early '00s) used CRT technology actually. They weren't that useful though since there were few HD broadcasts then. In fact the biggest benefit of an HDTV back then is it was capable of displaying DVDs (480p resolution) in "progressive scan" as opposed to interlaced which most things were back then so DVDs looked a little better.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/09/16 at 5:41 pm

2002 - Windows 98 is more common to find in people's homes and still available in stores. XP is known to not be that great has yet to obtain it's good reputation.

2006 - XP is in almost every home.

2002 - Computers are big and bulky (and usually white). Slim and sleek designs have existed since 1997 but still haven't really caught on yet.

2006 - All computers look slim and sleek. The bulky white PC's are pretty much non-existent.

2002 - Cassette tapes aren't as popular as the CD but you can still buy new releases in stores and nobody would give you funny looks for using them in public.

2006 - Using both a CD or cassette player in public will get you a ton of funny looks as most people have adapted to the iPod or an mp3 player. 

Web 2.0 sites were pretty common in 2002. Not dominant but it's not as if it wasn't there.

Couldn't you say the same thing about 1999? Even before that with blogs and all that stuff. I remember blogging being big in 1997 (we didn't call it blogging until 1999-ish, though).

In my experience, I saw both pagers and cell phones in 2002. Cell Phones went though a lot of changes around 2003-ish, too. There wasn't really a teenage cell phone culture before then.

MSN is pretty much the same thing as AOL Messenger, though. :P And that was a lot more popular than MSN in my experience from 1998-2003. Was MSN really more popular than AOL in Canada? My uncle had AOL back then and he lives in Canada. Oh yeah, people also had Yahoo! Messenger! That was a big thing, too.

Written By: Howard on 02/09/16 at 5:43 pm

It's like how touchscreen smartphones overtook dumbphones in 2012, but by then they were already old news.

I also have a hard time counting YouTube as a technological improvement, since there were many other video-viewing websites at the time. Though I guess people who are more involved in YouTube communities, follow channels etc. might think otherwise.

There was also Dailymotion.

Written By: Brian06 on 02/09/16 at 5:46 pm

2002 - Windows 98 is more common to find in people's homes and still available in stores. XP is known to not be that great has yet to obtain it's good reputation.

2002 - Computers are big and bulky (and usually white). Slim and sleek designs have existed since 1997 but still haven't really caught on yet.

2006 - All computers look slim and sleek. The bulky white PC's are pretty much non-existent.

2002 - Cassette tapes aren't as popular as the CD but you can still buy new releases in stores and nobody would give you funny looks for using them in public.

2006 - Using both a CD or cassette player in public will get you a ton of funny looks as most people have adapted to the iPod or an mp3 player. 

Couldn't you say the same thing about 1999? Even before that with blogs and all that stuff. I remember blogging being big in 1997 (we didn't call it blogging until 1999-ish, though).

In my experience, I saw both pagers and cell phones in 2002. Cell Phones went though a lot of changes around 2003-ish, too. There wasn't really a teenage cell phone culture before then.

MSN is pretty much the same thing as AOL Messenger, though. :P And that was a lot more popular than MSN in my experience from 1998-2003. Was MSN really more popular than AOL in Canada? My uncle had AOL back then and he lives in Canada.

Yeah pagers did still exist in the early '00s. I actually had a pager for a short bit during the end of their time probably around 2001 or so. A lot of music videos from 2002 have pagers in them too.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/09/16 at 5:50 pm

Yeah pagers did still exist in the early '00s. I actually had a pager for a short bit during the end of their time probably around 2001 or so. A lot of music videos from 2002 have pagers in them too.

I knew quite a bit of people who still used pagers back then, too. 2003 is the absolute last year I saw pagers being common with people, even younger 20-something business types in the area. I even knew people with both cell phones and pagers, too, like my dad. I think around 2004, when cell phone design got a lot more convenient, people started ditching the pagers and going cell phone only. Less Nokia phones after that, too.

Written By: 2001 on 02/09/16 at 5:52 pm

MSN is pretty much the same thing AOL Messenger, though. :P And that was a lot more popular than MSN in my experience from 1998-2003.

You see, while those technologies weren't fully adopted yet, it's not as if they were fresh and new by the time 2003 hit  ;D They were old hat news. I saw Web 2.0, flatscreen PCs, DVDs, digital music/MP3s (Kazaa) all in 2002. By 2003 they felt like they've already been there for a while.

I've never seen a pager in my life  :P

There were more Web 2.0 sites in 2002 than 1999. It was a gradual transition.

Also, while I'm aware that dial-up didn't overtake Broadband until 2004, wouldn't those dial-up numbers be heavily inflated by rural areas? I wonder what the rate of adoption for Broadband was for urban areas in 2002.

AOL was never popular in Canada, so I can't really speak for the US on that one.

Written By: 2001 on 02/09/16 at 5:53 pm

There was also Dailymotion.

Yeah I remember that being popular because they didn't have the 10 minute limit.

Written By: Howard on 02/09/16 at 5:57 pm

I've never seen a pager in my life

Why Not?

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/09/16 at 5:59 pm

You see, while those technologies weren't fully adopted yet, it's not as if they were fresh and new by the time 2003 hit  ;D They were old hat news. I saw Web 2.0, flatscreen PCs, DVDs, digital music/MP3s (Kazaa) all in 2002. By 2003 they felt like they've already been there for a while.

I saw all those things in 1997-1999. :P :P I'd been downloading mp3s since I got a PC in late 1996, web 2.0 was still there with things like blogging, and I saw one or two flat screen PC's.

I've never seen a pager in my life  :P

Really? :o I used to see them all the time!

There were more Web 2.0 sites in 2002 than 1999. It was a gradual transition.

Fair enough but Web 2.0 pages existed in both 1999 and 2002 and Web 1.0 was more common in both years.

Also, while I'm aware that dial-up didn't overtake Broadband until 2004, wouldn't those dial-up numbers be heavily inflated by rural areas? I wonder what the rate of adoption for Broadband was for urban areas in 2002.

I can only speak for the Bay Area, where it's supposed to be super high tech (:D :D), and most people had dial-up until 2003-2004. Same with XP. 2003-2004. I knew a dude who (I think? My memory might be off) had broadband around 1997 or 1998, though.

AOL was never popular in Canada, so I can't really speak for the US on that one.

No kidding! I thought everyone had AOL back then! I guess my uncle's an exception. Did you guys use Yahoo! Messenger at all, though?

Written By: 2001 on 02/09/16 at 6:00 pm

Why Not?

I'm not sure. Everyone's saying they were common in the early 2000s, so maybe I just forget seeing them.

My dad got his cellphone in 1999. I kept calling him on it and he got angry because it was still super expensive to call on it. I think my mom bought one a few years later. Other than that, I remember my teachers' cellphones going off in class a lot of times.

Written By: 2001 on 02/09/16 at 6:04 pm

I saw all those things in 1997-1999. :P :P I'd been downloading mp3s since I got a PC in late 1996, web 2.0 was still there with things like blogging, and I saw one or two flat screen PC's.

Really? :o I used to see them all the time!

Fair enough but Web 2.0 pages existed in both 1999 and 2002 and Web 1.0 was more common in both years.

I can only speak for the Bay Area, where it's supposed to be super high tech (:D :D), and most people had dial-up until 2003-2004. Same with XP. 2003-2004. I knew a dude who (I think? My memory might be off) had broadband around 1997 or 1998, though.

No kidding! I thought everyone had AOL back then! I guess my uncle's an exception. Did you guys use Yahoo! Messenger at all, though?

So did it ever feel cool and exciting to you when it became more commonplace in 2003?  :P

I remember some people used Yahoo! for the chatrooms. It was mostly MSN though. Even my friends who didn't have Internet made an MSN account during computer class so they could be hip.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/09/16 at 6:08 pm

So did it ever feel cool and exciting to you when it became more commonplace in 2003?  :P

It felt... uhh... ~fresh I guess but not really cool or exciting. Warped Tour 2005 made me miss the dial-up/98 days more than anything, though. I never got an iPod, however. The Discman is what I use.

I remember some people used Yahoo! for the chatrooms. It was mostly MSN though. Even my friends who didn't have Internet made an MSN account during computer class so they could be hip.

At least you guys used it! ;D ;D Yahoo! is a true Y2K chatroom because it's heyday is 1998-2003 but I do remember MSN being quite popular, too.

The kings of Messaging in the late 90's and early 00's:

- AOL
- MSN
- Yahoo!

Written By: 2001 on 02/09/16 at 6:22 pm

It felt... uhh... ~fresh I guess but not really cool or exciting. Warped Tour 2005 made me miss the dial-up/98 days more than anything, though. I never got an iPod, however. The Discman is what I use.

At least you guys used it! ;D ;D Yahoo! is a true Y2K chatroom because it's heyday is 1998-2003 but I do remember MSN being quite popular, too.

- AOL
- MSN
- Yahoo!

Yeah I remember the Yahoo chatrooms, you could select your own font size and there were those crazy people typing in 72 size font  :o My cousin was a stud, he'd be hitting on 5 girls at the same time.

Yahoo had the best emoticons, like the Madonna one.  ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/09/16 at 6:28 pm

Yeah 2000-2004 was basically just a continuation of the 1990's Golden Age when it came to kid centric culture like toys, trading card, cartoons, etc., which was the tail end of Gen Y Kid Culture.

I'm curious to think on why children's entertainment was in a dark age during the mid-late '00s? Clearly, it wasn't as awful as what the early-mid 2010s have nowadays, although CN and Disney seems good at the moment.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/09/16 at 6:30 pm

Yeah I remember the Yahoo chatrooms, you could select your own font size and there were those crazy people typing in 72 size font  :o My cousin was a stud, he'd be hitting on 5 girls at the same time.

Yahoo had the best emoticons, like the Madonna one.  ;D

By time I got Yahoo, I was already seeing the woman who I would soon go onto marry so hitting on other women was not something I planned to do (yes, we've been seeing each other for a long, long time) but if I was single then I'd probably get a lot of comments saying "Jordan, you suck!" "No I don't want to eat burritos and listen to Sum 41" "Did you just say Home Grown!? Pig! I don't know what that is but I'm sure you're being a pig!" I remember the font sizes, too! I used to go on and be a proto-troll (if you will ;D). Man, I loved getting a rise out of people for simply saying "Limp Bizkit are like NSYNC but for people with sh!ttier taste" and I'd get (high brow) replies like "omg u r ghey lol i will fite u. come on sucka fite me". A barrel of laughs! I should look up the old Yahoo! emotions to see what they used to have.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/09/16 at 6:45 pm

Yeah I remember that being popular because they didn't have the 10 minute limit.
Do you guys also remember Google Video?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/09/16 at 6:48 pm

I remember Google Video being a standard player for videos on Google back in the 2000s.

Written By: 2001 on 02/09/16 at 6:53 pm

By time I got Yahoo, I was already seeing the woman who I would soon go onto marry so hitting on other women was not something I planned to do (yes, we've been seeing each other for a long, long time) but if I was single then I'd probably get a lot of comments saying "Jordan, you suck!" "No I don't want to eat burritos and listen to Sum 41" "Did you just say Home Grown!? Pig! I don't know what that is but I'm sure you're being a pig!" I remember the font sizes, too! I used to go on and be a proto-troll (if you will ;D). Man, I loved getting a rise out of people for simply saying "Limp Bizkit are like NSYNC but for people with sh!ttier taste" and I'd get (high brow) replies like "omg u r ghey lol i will fite u. come on sucka fite me". A barrel of laughs! I should look up the old Yahoo! emotions to see what they used to have.

LOL you were awful even back then  ;D And now you troll kids on YouTube  :P

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/09/16 at 6:58 pm

lol, you like a band made for girls.  ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/09/16 at 7:03 pm

LOL you were awful even back then  ;D And now you troll kids on YouTube  :P

It was for a good cause! The over abundance of Fred Dursts was a global dilemma and I was only doing my part to put an end to it. And back then, another huge global concern was Nu Metal guys stealing peoples girlfriends (I'm sure you've seen the lyrics I posted in the other page. If not, I shall post them again if you'd like!) so I had to make sure everyone was spared the heartbreak. Nowadays, I go on YouTube and educate the children on society's downfall (2003 to present) and how 2004-2006 was not good like 2000-2002 was (but they insist!). Kids are stubborn and they never listen!

lol, you like a band made for girls.  ;D

I do!? ???

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/09/16 at 7:13 pm

I do!? ???

You said that you liked NSYNC.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/09/16 at 7:20 pm

You said that you liked NSYNC.

Oh, no! :o

In the late 90's/early 00's I'd proto-troll the Yahoo! message board by saying that Limp Bizkit is like NSYNC but a lot sh!ttier. Not that I actually like them. I think they're both equally as bad.

Written By: 2001 on 02/09/16 at 7:29 pm

I think so. They hosted videos but it was also a search engine for other videos as well, right?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/09/16 at 7:35 pm

Oh, no! :o

In the late 90's/early 00's I'd proto-troll the Yahoo! message board by saying that Limp Bizkit is like NSYNC but a lot sh!ttier. Not that I actually like them. I think they're both equally as bad.

Oh. I thought you liked them simply because they were from the early 2000s. But I get you, man.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/09/16 at 7:46 pm

I think so. They hosted videos but it was also a search engine for other videos as well, right?
Yeah, I recall not only seeing YouTube videos, but even Dailymotion, Metacafe and Megavideo on there as well.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/09/16 at 7:53 pm

Yeah, I recall not only seeing YouTube videos, but even Dailymotion, Metacafe and Megavideo on there as well.

I remember megavideo and megaupload like yesterday, where you could download all those pirate videos and other stuff. I remember when it got shutdown too.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/09/16 at 8:00 pm

I remember megavideo and megaupload like yesterday, where you could download all those pirate videos and other stuff. I remember when it got shutdown too.
Same here. I went on them one day and the page couldn't be found. I was like "Wow! They got shutdown?"

Written By: Howard on 02/10/16 at 3:29 pm

- AOL
- MSN
- Yahoo!

Those were the days.

Written By: Toon on 02/10/16 at 4:01 pm

Them good ol' days where I'd use Megaupload to got almost anything. I was surprised to see the page get shutdown.

Written By: 2001 on 02/10/16 at 4:02 pm

Them good ol' days where I'd use Megaupload to got almost anything. I was surprised to see the page get shutdown.

Rememeber when they got like a whole army (SWAT) to take down Kim Dotcom :o It was serious business.

Written By: Toon on 02/10/16 at 4:07 pm

Rememeber when they got like a whole army (SWAT) to take down Kim Dotcom :o It was serious business.

Wow was that a crazy event. So many people were upset about Megaupload being shutdown. I know I was as it was my #1 place to get things. But to have a SWAT team sent to Kim Dotcom is when you know things are getting serious.  :-\\

Written By: muppethammer26 on 02/10/16 at 7:09 pm

Wow was that a crazy event. So many people were upset about Megaupload being shutdown. I know I was as it was my #1 place to get things. But to have a SWAT team sent to Kim Dotcom is when you know things are getting serious.  :-\\

It's quite funny when they sent a big SWAT team to Kim Dotcom's house, even though Kim Dotcom himself was harmless.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/12/16 at 12:15 am

Nope, that title goes to the 90s. Mainly because of the breakthrough of the Internet.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/12/16 at 2:46 pm

Nope, that title goes to the 90s. Mainly because of the breakthrough of the Internet.

I look at it like this:

In the 1950's, the television was the newest piece of technology that changed the world on how we got our news, sports, & entertainment

In the 1960's, the continued success of television with the first Televisied Presidential debate in 1960, the launch of classics like Gilligan's Island & The Adam's Family, and the breakthrough of color television, made the TV a necessity

In the 1990's, the Internet was the newest piece of technology that changed the world on how we got our news, sports, & entertainment

In the 2000's, the continued success of the internet with the acceptance of Broadband over dial up, the launch of modern day social media sites like facebook & the video sharing site YouTube, and the first modern day/accessible smartphone being the iPhone, made the internet a necessity

Both decades in both categories were truly transformative in the realm of technology, with the first decade introducing the tech and the second one helping supplant in every day culture. That's why I think the 1990's & 2000's were both transformative. Now its up to what decade you think was more transformative, that is entirely up to debate.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/12/16 at 9:19 pm

Example: I can probably imagine a game like Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex becoming retro in a few years (if it isn't already), but I can NEVER imagine a game like Crash of the Titans being retro, despite that only coming out 6 years later.

The 1960's will always be the most changeful decade from a cultural standpoint (with the '70s following as a close second), but I agree with you about the 2000's when it comes to technology.

The gap from 2000 to 2009 from a tech standpoint is actually kind of staggering if you think about it. In 2000, the average person still went to Blockbuster to rent movies, but by 2010 the average person could "rent" movies while sitting on their living room sofa; in 2000, slow dial-up connection still ruled and what few videos existed on the internet were largely unwatchable to most people, but by 2010 millions of music videos, TV shows and movies were available on YouTube; in 2000, most of us still had to stand in line at the music store to buy CD's, but by 2010 we could listen to our entire music collections on our cell phones. And that's all without mentioning the proliferation of smartphones, and even early tablets by 2010, none of which were anywhere on the map back in 2000.

Now, that's not to say that the '90s was also not a massively changeful decade (in particular due to the introduction of the internet to the mass public) because it obviously was. To me, the difference is that, in the '90s, we merely discovered the internet for the first time, whereas over the course of the '00s, the internet literally began to change the way the average person lived their life.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/06/16 at 7:09 pm

I'll stand by my statement that 2004-2006 seems to still be the barrier between "old" and "new"... and perhaps it forever will be!

It would probably be more dated when we get into the very late 2010s/early 2020s. But even with that, I find it as dated compared to 2007-2009, to be fair.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/06/16 at 7:12 pm

As I said before, I can imagine a 6th gen game like Sonic Heroes (2003) being considered retro soon enough, it certainly has the aesthetic. But a game like Sonic 06 has a drab/realistic/modern look which is not retro, and I can never ever see it being retro.

https://img.fireden.net/v/image/1446/77/1446777961115.jpg

Or unless somebody makes a better game than Sonic '06 and make it have better graphics. Sure, the game isn't that dated, but what else could you say? Sonic was at its downfall when Sonic '06 was released.

Written By: Zelek3 on 10/06/16 at 7:15 pm

Some people think Sonic's dark age was 2006-2009, but I'd say it's 2005-2009, starting with the terrible Shadow the Hedgehog. It was the beginning of the series' reputation being damaged.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/06/16 at 7:22 pm

Some people think Sonic's dark age was 2006-2009, but I'd say it's 2005-2009, starting with the terrible Shadow the Hedgehog. It was the beginning of the series' reputation being damaged.

Shadow the Hedgehog was mediocre at best, but it wasn't as bad as Sonic '06. At least the game was functional, compared to the numerous glitches you could find on Sonic '06.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/06/16 at 7:39 pm

I'll stand by my statement that 2004-2006 seems to still be the barrier between "old" and "new"... and perhaps it forever will be!

I disagree with that. It's not so cut and dry. The entire 1990s and 2000s were changing not just 2 years. The 2010s has had less change than the previous 2 decades but even this decade is making some progress. Then you have to consider future decades. Maybe something in the 20s and 30s will come out that will be even bigger than the internet and make a newer world. So you can't place it on 2004-2006, which is a really random timeline Imo.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/06/16 at 8:15 pm

The 90's were a more changeful decade.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/06/16 at 8:21 pm

I agree.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/06/16 at 8:23 pm

I agree.

2000 and 2010 is changeful to though.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/06/16 at 11:00 pm

Yep the 90s and the 60s were historically the most rapid changeful decades EVER. Zelek is focusing WAY WAY too much on kiddy stuff.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/06/16 at 11:04 pm

Yep the 90s and the 60s were historically the most rapid changeful decades EVER. Zelek is focusing WAY WAY too much on kiddy stuff.

Yeah I totally agree with this. The 1960s and 1990s are the most changeful. And funny enough, things that were invented in the 1960s such as the internet became mainstream in the 1990s.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/07/16 at 2:04 am

Nothing compares to the 1960's! At least not until the 2020's arrive!  ;)

Written By: #Infinity on 10/07/16 at 3:21 am

Nothing compares to the 1960's! At least not until the 2020's arrive!  ;)

The 60s really weren't that changeful. Technologically, they were one of the least transformative periods of the past century. As I touched upon earlier, fashion didn't change nearly as much as people pretend. Not all men wore tie-die shirts and huge beards by 1969; in fact, the vast bulk of them did not. The counterculture itself is really just the culmination of the post-war youth rebellion that started in the late 40s, began to really flower in the mid-late 50s, and finally became mainstream in the 60s.

The early 60s weren't completely behind the times. They had things such as these:

http://images.static-bluray.com/news/upload/3823_tn.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51LtBJ3QOJL.jpg
I know folk of this sort is probably associated more with Silents than Boomers, but you can't deny the extensive roots that late 60s Woodstock bands had in this type of music (in addition to jazz and blues, both of which were thriving scenes in the 50s). In fact, this trio had a #1 hit at the very end of the 60s ("Leaving on a Jet Plane"). They also introduced some Bob Dylan's songs to the mainstream for the first time, prior to his foray into the electric.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5e/John_F._Kennedy,_White_House_photo_portrait,_looking_up.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c1/March_on_Washington_for_Jobs_and_Freedom,_Martin_Luther_King,_Jr._and_Joachim_Prinz_1963.jpg

The end of the 60s weren't nearly as different from earlier parts of the decade as people state. A lot of that mid-20th century corniness was still alive and well at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JywK_5bT8z0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcARWyQjOZc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAOTxAGJUug

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egY8rUpxqcE

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/30/HelloDollyFilmPoster.jpg

60s nostalgia parties are definitely some of the most ill-reflective of what the decade was actually like as a whole. People today are biased towards the counterculture because they relate more to it personally. While the creative growth of rock and roll, deterioration of stringent social codes, and major legislative victories were definitely an important part of the 1960s, the decade's overall atmosphere was really not that different from the 50s, another decade defined by youth rebellion, rock and roll, and civil rights protests.

If you ask me, I would say the 70s, 80s, and 90s were the most transformative decades in history. Not only did all three periods have incredibly distinct identities in music, fashion, television, and film, they were also the time that technology started to completely revolutionize the way people conducted their lives. The 70s saw the origins of video games and personal computers, not to mention color television becoming standard and the beginnings of electronic influences in music (used more for occasional ambiance at the time rather than entire sound worlds). The 80s oversaw the standardization of video games and computers, plus the popularization of several other popular electronics such as the portable video camera, cable television, and the walkman. The 90s birthed the Internet, the standardization of CD's, and massive improvements to computers and video games.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/07/16 at 9:46 am

The 1960s invented the internet. Not to mention huge changes like womens rights. Those are more important than pettty fashion and mainstream music. Although the 60s did change on that front as well. The Beetles, Rock n Roll. Everything changed in the 60s.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/07/16 at 10:27 am

I
The 60s really weren't that changeful.
While the creative growth of rock and roll, deterioration of stringent social codes, and major legislative victories were definitely an important part of the 1960s, the decade's overall atmosphere was really not that different from the 50s, another decade defined by youth rebellion, rock and roll, and civil rights protests.

If you ask me, I would say the 70s, 80s, and 90s were the most transformative decades in history. Not only did all three periods have incredibly distinct identities in music, fashion, television, and film, they were also the time that technology started to completely revolutionize the way people conducted their lives. The 70s saw the origins of video games and personal computers, not to mention color television becoming standard and the beginnings of electronic influences in music (used more for occasional ambiance at the time rather than entire sound worlds). The 80s oversaw the standardization of video games and computers, plus the popularization of several other popular electronics such as the portable video camera, cable television, and the walkman. The 90s birthed the Internet, the standardization of CD's, and massive improvements to computers and video games.

Um, The 70s and 80s were much more consistent than the 60s were.... The 70s and 80s weren't changing each year like the 60s and most certainly not like the 90s were.
For example, Comparing 1961 to 1968 is almost like a different decade.
Same with 1991 and 1998, a completely different universe.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/07/16 at 10:34 am

The 1960s invented the internet. Not to mention huge changes like womens rights. Those are more important than pettt fashion and mainstream music. Although the 60s did change on that front as well. The Beetles, Rock n Roll. Everything changed in the 60s.

As much as I like to defend that the Internet was invented in the late 60s, it wasn't until the 90s when it started to be commonly used. Plus, it wasn't really known as the Internet at the time. It was known as ARPANET.

I Um, The 70s and 80s were much more consistent than the 60s were.... The 70s and 80s weren't changing each year like the 60s and most certainly not like the 90s were.

The 60s seemed consistent in a way. Although the early 60s were like an extension towards the mid-late 50s, since they had almost the same politics and pop culture at the time. Granted, I do think that the 60s were almost like the late 50s, but it seemed more consistent compared to the 90s and 2000s.

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/07/16 at 10:36 am

The 1960s didn't seem that changeful to me, but then again I suppose I should study the culture of that decade a bit more.

2000s was changeful. Not the MOST rapid changing decade, but I can understand when someone says that 2002 and 2008 are like different decades.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/07/16 at 10:37 am

The 1960s didn't seem that changeful to me, but then again I suppose I should study the culture of that decade a bit more.

Exactly! ;)

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/07/16 at 10:42 am

Exactly! ;)

I wonder what about the 1960s made it quite changeful. The only thing I can think (when pulled from my limited knowledge) was Surf Rock. In the early 1960s Surf Rock was popular, but it faded by the mid-late 1960s. Think of that what you will.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/07/16 at 10:43 am

Same with me. To me, the mid-late '50s, '60s, and the early '70s seem alike with each other. I always think of it as the Civil Rights era for that reason.

2000s was changeful. Not the MOST rapid changing decade, but I can understand when someone says that 2002 and 2008 are like different decades.

Like most people, I think 2002 had a different vibe compared to 2008. Although, I think of that for anything before 2007, since the early-mid 2000s were a bit similar to me.

Written By: #Infinity on 10/07/16 at 11:16 am

The 1960s invented the internet. Not to mention huge changes like womens rights. Those are more important than pettt fashion and mainstream music. Although the 60s did change on that front as well. The Beetles, Rock n Roll. Everything changed in the 60s.

The Internet being invented in the 60s is dubious at best. Radar gadgetry was already extremely prominent during World War II and the Korean War, not to mention the Internet wasn't at all mainstream until three decades later.

The social changes pretty much all just an extension of things that started in the late 40s and 50s. Contrary to popular belief, women still weren't really much more integrated into the workforce by the end of the 60s; true progress would develop more during the 70s, 80s, and 90s.

I've pretty much always felt the Beatles' impact on music is vastly overstated. Popular music was already starting to head in a different direction in 1963 (i.e., "It's My Party," "Louie Louie," Motown, and "Puff, the Magic Dragon"), the Fab Four weren't the only British Invasion group, and they were actually heavily inspired by the Everley Brothers, a staple music act of the 50s. I can understand the Beatles' late 60s output being revolutionary, but the vast bulk of music at the time was still closer to the 50s than even the mid-70s.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/07/16 at 11:28 am

I wonder what about the 1960s made it quite changeful. The only thing I can think (when pulled from my limited knowledge) was Surf Rock. In the early 1960s Surf Rock was popular, but it faded by the mid-late 1960s. Think of that what you will.

http://learningenglish.voanews.com/a/american-history-the-1960s-10-years-that-changed-a-nation-134041543/114624.html
http://hubpages.com/education/The-1960s-Decade-That-Changed-America-Forever

Written By: Slim95 on 10/07/16 at 12:38 pm

As much as I like to defend that the Internet was invented in the late 60s, it wasn't until the 90s when it started to be commonly used. Plus, it wasn't really known as the Internet at the time. It was known as ARPANET.

The 60s seemed consistent in a way. Although the early 60s were like an extension towards the mid-late 50s, since they had almost the same politics and pop culture at the time. Granted, I do think that the 60s were almost like the late 50s, but it seemed more consistent compared to the 90s and 2000s.

It doesn't matter the invention of the internet was still in the 60s, not to mention many other technological inventions. Besides it's already known the internet went mainstream in the 90s by everyone, I even said this like two posts ago. The 60s still invented the internet and not only that, The 60s was also the decade that started developing the personal computer we know today. So many inventions and progress happened in the 1960s I'm suprised people don't see it.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/07/16 at 12:41 pm

The Internet being invented in the 60s is dubious at best. Radar gadgetry was already extremely prominent during World War II and the Korean War, not to mention the Internet wasn't at all mainstream until three decades later.

The social changes pretty much all just an extension of things that started in the late 40s and 50s. Contrary to popular belief, women still weren't really much more integrated into the workforce by the end of the 60s; true progress would develop more during the 70s, 80s, and 90s.

I've pretty much always felt the Beatles' impact on music is vastly overstated. Popular music was already starting to head in a different direction in 1963 (i.e., "It's My Party," "Louie Louie," Motown, and "Puff, the Magic Dragon"), the Fab Four weren't the only British Invasion group, and they were actually heavily inspired by the Everley Brothers, a staple music act of the 50s. I can understand the Beatles' late 60s output being revolutionary, but the vast bulk of music at the time was still closer to the 50s than even the mid-70s.

Again, I'm pretty sure everyone in the world knows the internet went mainstream in the 90s. Doesn't matter, the internet was invention in the 1960s, period. That's a fact. It was used before the 90s for communications between soldiers in the war. It definitely had its purpose outside of the mainstream audience...

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/07/16 at 1:12 pm

It doesn't matter the invention of the internet was still in the 60s, not to mention many other technological inventions. Besides it's already known the internet went mainstream in the 90s by everyone, I even said this like two posts ago. The 60s still invented the internet and not only that, The 60s was also the decade that started developing the personal computer we know today. So many inventions and progress happened in the 1960s I'm suprised people don't see it.

Yeah, I get it. I'm pretty sure I said earlier that the Internet was invented in the 60s as well. It's just that it went with another name during the 60s, 70s, and 80s. During 1989, it was then known as the World Wide Web, when Tim Berners-Lee made HTML and HTTP coding for the Internet that everyone knows of today.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/07/16 at 1:43 pm

The 60s really weren't that changeful. Technologically, they were one of the least transformative periods of the past century. As I touched upon earlier, fashion didn't change nearly as much as people pretend. Not all men wore tie-die shirts and huge beards by 1969; in fact, the vast bulk of them did not. The counterculture itself is really just the culmination of the post-war youth rebellion that started in the late 40s, began to really flower in the mid-late 50s, and finally became mainstream in the 60s.

The early 60s weren't completely behind the times. They had things such as these:

http://images.static-bluray.com/news/upload/3823_tn.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51LtBJ3QOJL.jpg
I know folk of this sort is probably associated more with Silents than Boomers, but you can't deny the extensive roots that late 60s Woodstock bands had in this type of music (in addition to jazz and blues, both of which were thriving scenes in the 50s). In fact, this trio had a #1 hit at the very end of the 60s ("Leaving on a Jet Plane"). They also introduced some Bob Dylan's songs to the mainstream for the first time, prior to his foray into the electric.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5e/John_F._Kennedy,_White_House_photo_portrait,_looking_up.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c1/March_on_Washington_for_Jobs_and_Freedom,_Martin_Luther_King,_Jr._and_Joachim_Prinz_1963.jpg

The end of the 60s weren't nearly as different from earlier parts of the decade as people state. A lot of that mid-20th century corniness was still alive and well at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JywK_5bT8z0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcARWyQjOZc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAOTxAGJUug

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egY8rUpxqcE

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/30/HelloDollyFilmPoster.jpg

60s nostalgia parties are definitely some of the most ill-reflective of what the decade was actually like as a whole. People today are biased towards the counterculture because they relate more to it personally. While the creative growth of rock and roll, deterioration of stringent social codes, and major legislative victories were definitely an important part of the 1960s, the decade's overall atmosphere was really not that different from the 50s, another decade defined by youth rebellion, rock and roll, and civil rights protests.

My guess is that the late 60's and the 1970's, in general, were just effects from the causes from the 1945 to 1964 era. Like the seeds were planted since the mid-40's, but the speed of the external showings, and external showings in general, were put in place, and just exploded 1964 and after.

Written By: #Infinity on 10/07/16 at 2:07 pm

I Um, The 70s and 80s were much more consistent than the 60s were.... The 70s and 80s weren't changing each year like the 60s and most certainly not like the 90s were.

That's not necessarily true, the way you make it seem like. Depending on your perspective, different periods are more transformative for different reasons. I think 1979 is a completely different universe from 1970, and even 1989 is pretty far removed from 1980. We went from this in 1970:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ho7796-au8U

http://youtube.com/watch?v=daxiMb0rITA

http://rookerville.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/936full-tora-tora-tora-poster.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/fd/f7/fc/fdf7fc9fc9a7c9dea0d4feb126a1bf6e.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/26/e3/c6/26e3c6faf9e3d26db7eb490dd9628762.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/8b/ce/75/8bce7501cb8c8bb6114e11166035be1d.jpg

To this by 1979:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yURRmWtbTbo

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WGU_4-5RaxU

http://bubbawheat.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/alien.jpg

https://s.graphiq.com/sites/default/files/7522/media/images/Star_Wars_1977_7409489.jpg

http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/7sf/f79/1979colorfuljeans.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/09/Galaxian.png

http://datanaut.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/commodoreCutout.png

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2013-06-11-HardArt04.jpg

You can just as easily say that about 1971 versus 1978, as well as 1981 versus 1988. 1971 was still the counterculture era and was technologically indistinguishable from the 60s, whereas 1978 was when a lot of the above things I listed were first starting to take off. 1981 was still predominantly a Boomer-targeted year, full of shows like M*A*S*H, extremely 70s fashion and movies, soft pop like Christopher Cross, more pianos than synths, Atari being the only representative of gaming, and vinyl still the preferred music format. 1988, on the other hand, had gangsta rap, early examples of 90s alternative music, new jack swing, personal computers being fully established, a much more materialisitc general culture, CD becoming very popular, fashion that resembled Saved by the Bell, cable television being widespread, the NES in its peak, and the Sega Genesis already out in Japan (even arcade games as early as 1985 were mostly like 16-bit Genesis titles, unlike the more primitive early 80s ones).

Written By: #Infinity on 10/07/16 at 2:16 pm

My guess is that the late 60's and the 1970's, in general, were just effects from the causes from the 1945 to 1964 era. Like the seeds were planted since the mid-40's, but the speed of the external showings, and external showings in general, were put in place, and just exploded 1964 and after.

That's a reasonably accurate description of the counterculture era, that it was the action-packed climax of the post-war age. For me personally though, its thick connection to the past gives it much more of a vintage feel than the mid-late 70s, which felt more like the prelude to an entirely different chapter of world history, less concerned about social imjustice and more focused on the development and perfection of an advanced, economical, material future. The 60s still play out like an epic age of conflict you'd find in a history textbook, whereas the post-Watergate era feels much more like what the 90s were - somewhat uneventful, yet innovative.

Written By: Zelek3 on 10/07/16 at 2:19 pm

When it comes to the 00s I'd say that each part felt almost like a different universe from one another.

2000-2003 had a way different style from 2004-2006
And 2007-2009 had a rather different feel from 2004-2006 as well (social media pretty much didn't exist in the mid 00s, other than Myspace, but began to rise during the late 00s).

Written By: 80sfan on 10/07/16 at 2:44 pm

1960 and 1970 are still very different in my opinion though. Like very different in my eyes.  :o

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/07/16 at 3:15 pm

When it comes to the 00s I'd say that each part felt almost like a different universe from one another.

2000-2003 had a way different style from 2004-2006
And 2007-2009 had a rather different feel from 2004-2006 as well (social media pretty much didn't exist in the mid 00s, other than Myspace, but began to rise during the late 00s).

I agree. I really think that the mid 2000s were like a different era compared to the late 2000s. Even to me, when I remember late 2004-2006, it doesn't have the same influences that 2007-2009 had.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/07/16 at 3:17 pm

1960 and 1970 are still very different in my opinion though. Like very different in my eyes.  :o

They certainly are different.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/07/16 at 3:40 pm

It's still different to a lot of people, since a lot of crap changed between those years.

Written By: Zelek3 on 10/07/16 at 3:43 pm

People say the 50s ended in 1963, in the same way the 90s ended on 9/11 (or 2004 to some), or the 80s ended in 1991 when Nirvana killed hair metal.

The movie American Graffiti centers on that part of the 60s when the spirit of the 50s was still alive, right before JFK's assassination.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/07/16 at 3:54 pm

People say the 50s ended in 1963, in the same way the 90s ended on 9/11 (or 2004 to some), or the 80s ended in 1991 when Nirvana killed hair metal.

The movie American Graffiti centers on that part of the 60s when the spirit of the 50s was still alive, right before JFK's assassination.

The 90s ended in 1998. Or for simplicity sake you can just say it ended when it really ended, December 31, 1999.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/07/16 at 4:56 pm

In a way, the 90s usually had some influences spread from 2001-2004. 2000 was basically like the last cultural 90s year, since that was before '43 Bush was inaugurated in 2001 (which started the 2000s culturally, imo).

The 90s ended in 1998. Or for simplicity sake you can just say it ended when it really ended, December 31, 1999.

1998 is when the core 90s ended. 1998-2001 was like the Y2K era, which wasn't fully 90s nor 2000s.

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/07/16 at 5:20 pm

Saying 1999 is simple yet inaccurate, but saying 1998 makes quite a bit of sense to me. To me the 1990s ended in 1998.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/07/16 at 5:28 pm

Saying 1999 is simple yet inaccurate, but saying 1998 makes quite a bit of sense to me. To me the core 1990s ended in 1998.

Fixed it for ya. lol

Written By: Slim95 on 10/07/16 at 5:36 pm

Fixed it for ya. lol

No, not just "core 90s". The entire 90s culture ended areound 1998.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/07/16 at 5:41 pm

No, not just "core 90s". The entire 90s culture ended around 1998.

But 90s influences were still around and mainstream until 2001.

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/07/16 at 6:48 pm

Well what most consider to be "1990s culture" was really more of a millennial culture (in the late 1990s/early 2000s) anyways. I see 1990s, millennial, and 2000s culture to be separate as confusing as that may seem.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/07/16 at 6:53 pm

Well what most consider to be "1990s culture" was really more of a millennial culture (in the late 1990s/early 2000s) anyways. I see 1990s, millennial, and 2000s culture to be separate as confusing as that may seem.

Yeah. The real 90s were basically 1993 to 1998, although millennials wouldn't give a crap with how they think of it.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/07/16 at 7:05 pm

Yeah I agree.

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/07/16 at 7:18 pm

Yeah. The real 90s were basically 1993 to 1998, although millennials wouldn't give a crap with how they think of it.

Yeah I agree.

Yeah, from 1993-1997/8 it was core 1990's culture. By the late part of 1998 to 2002 (to me anyways) it was millennial culture. Sometime in 2003 we reached 2000s culture. To me 1998-2002 are late 1990s/early 2000s culture in name alone. The culture was really millennial culture. 1995 is 1990s culture. 1998/1999 is millennial culture. 2005 is 2000s culture. 2001/2002 is millennial culture. They're all separate to me.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/07/16 at 8:34 pm

But 90s influences were still around and mainstream until 2001.

Yea mostly from 1999 tho. But I see what you sayin.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/07/16 at 8:36 pm

Yep yep, you guys hit the nail on the head! :)

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/07/16 at 8:40 pm

Yeah, from 1993-1997/8 it was core 1990's culture. By the late part of 1998 to 2002 (to me anyways) it was millennial culture. Sometime in 2003 we reached 2000s culture. To me 1998-2002 are late 1990s/early 2000s culture in name alone. The culture was really millennial culture. 1995 is 1990s culture. 1998/1999 is millennial culture. 2005 is 2000s culture. 2001/2002 is millennial culture. They're all separate to me.

I think late part of 1998 to summer 2001. But we all have start and end points.  ;D ;)

Written By: #Infinity on 10/07/16 at 8:49 pm

Exactly! ;)

I'm only getting to this now because I was limited to how much I could write during my work break earlier, but are you implying the only reason I could say 1969 wasn't that different from 1960 is because I haven't "researched" the period's culture enough? I'm pretty familiar with the general history and what was overall popular throughout the decade, at least enough so that I can come to my own conclusion about it. The fact that the biggest song of 1969 was "Sugar Sugar," a song closer in style to the bubblegum pop of the late 50s and early 60s than even early 70s pop like the Osmonds, is enough to prove the 60s were much more culturally consistent than people give credit for. Besides that, fashion still leaned overwhelmingly towards the slick Jackie Kennedy/Bridgette Bardot style, music recording fidelity was still quite muffled for anything non-minimalist, and the overall feel of television was virtually unchanged from start to end, with most people owning a 3-channel black and white television in 1969 and 1960 alike; sure, there were programs that came and went, but the true changes to television were much more pronounced in the 70s, 80s, and 90s.

In what specific ways? Are hippies really that jarringly different from beatniks? All the free love and drug hubbub associated with the counterculture is just a different form for a lot of the rebellious behavior that the beatniks already exhibited beforehand.

It's still a complete stretch to focus on things that were strictly in their experimental stages and little else. The "many inventions and progress" of 60s technology made absolutely no impact on people's everyday lives as talkies did in the 30s, vinyl did in the 40s, television did in the 50s, video games and color television did in the 70s, cable television and personal computers did in the 80s, and the mainstream Internet did in the 90s. Focusing on the "Internet's" role in the military during the 60s is like emphasizing virtual reality in the 90s.

http://learningenglish.voanews.com/a/american-history-the-1960s-10-years-that-changed-a-nation-134041543/114624.html
http://hubpages.com/education/The-1960s-Decade-That-Changed-America-Forever

The first article decently captures the themes and progression of the 1960s, but as far as proving how changeful the decade was, it has some inconsistencies, as well as mistakes. It mentions how rock and roll, cornerstone to the 60s counterculture, was already raising older generations' eyebrows in the second half of the 50s for being "too sexual." One of the songs they played during the episode was Helen Reddy's "I Am Woman," which is not from the 1960s, but 1972. You could argue that 1972 still had more of a 60s atmosphere to it, but Helen Reddy was strictly a 70s artist, and even the general musical style of that particular track is unmistakably 70s. Even in spite of how the script overlooks all the clearly old-fashioned things that dominated the 60s, like the technology, mainstream fashion, and light, campy music, it still acknowledges how firmly the old guard held on to the end of the decade:

As many Americans were listening to songs about drugs and sex, many others were watching television programs with traditional family values. These included "The Andy Griffith Show" and "The Beverly Hillbillies."

The second article really exaggerates the immediate impact of technology in the 60s, as I already touched upon earlier. Just because we landed a man on the moon doesn't mean everyday life on earth was transformed forever; the space age had already taken off, no pun intended, in 1957, anyway. Once again, even though the 60s were productive in shaping the foundations of computer technology, computers themselves really weren't a significant part of everyday life until at least the 70s, but moreso the 80s.

All in all, I don't want you guys to think I'm taking this all too seriously, since it's all a matter of opinion, but I thought it would make an interesting conversation because I feel like I'm one of the only people who considers the 1960s to be only a marginally transformative decade as opposed to the literal dividing line between antique and modern culture.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/07/16 at 8:54 pm

I'm only getting to this now because I was limited to how much I could write during my work break earlier, but are you implying the only reason I could say 1969 wasn't that different from 1960 is because I haven't "researched" the period's culture enough? I'm pretty familiar with the general history and what was overall popular throughout the decade, at least enough so that I can come to my own conclusion about it.

My comment was directed at Looney Toon.... :P  Not you, Jacqueline. ;D Trust me you are a pretty good expert. ;)

Written By: #Infinity on 10/07/16 at 9:03 pm

My comment was directed at Looney Toon.... :P  Not you, Jacqueline. ;D Trust me you are a pretty good expert. ;)

I know it was directed at Looney Toon, but the way you say exactly in response to him not comprehending why the 60s were so changeful made it sound like you considered it common knowledge how changeful they were. I won't flat-out say the 60s were that unchangeful the way our current decade has been so far, but I still don't think it was any more revolutionary on an overall level compared to the rest of the last several centuries. It was really just more transformative in some areas, like civil rights achievements, than in others, like household technology. I'm sorry if I was reading too much into you.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/07/16 at 9:07 pm

I know it was directed at Looney Toon, but the way you say exactly in response to him not comprehending why the 60s were so changeful made it sound like you considered it common knowledge how changeful they were. I won't flat-out say the 60s were that unchangeful the way our current decade has been so far, but I still don't think it was any more revolutionary on an overall level compared to the rest of the last several centuries. It was really just more transformative in some areas, like civil rights achievements, than in others, like household technology. I'm sorry if I was reading too much into you.

Oh, No biggie. ;) I'm entertained by most of your historical posts. :)
I wish you and I had been on this site back in 2013/14 :o, I was a MAJOR history nut at that time. ;D :D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 10/10/16 at 7:07 pm

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2013-06-11-HardArt04.jpg

I love this photo! Nice choice! Teen Idles were one of the first Dischord bands I got into.

It's funny how Ian and Jeff (in the center) looked all punked up in 1980 but by 1983 in their Minor Threat days they looked like this:

https://images.vice.com/noisey/content-images/article/ian-mackaye-dc-hardcore-and-my-year-in-minor-threat-an-interview-with-steve-hansgen/steve-h-five.jpg

You definitely wouldn't be able to single them out of a crowd as punks back then.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/10/16 at 7:17 pm

Oh, No biggie. ;) I'm entertained by most of your historical posts. :)
I wish you and I had been on this site back in 2013/14 :o, I was a MAJOR history nut at that time. ;D :D

I would've done the same by registering for an account here in 2014 (which wouldn't cause me to make drama so much), if I knew this site existed back then.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/10/16 at 7:31 pm

1993 to 1998? The '90s were more like the 2000s at that point.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/10/16 at 7:35 pm

1993 to 1998? The '90s were more like the 2000s at that point.

Well, it's not like a lot of 2000s influences came out by that time. Plus, a lot of people still thought of it as the 90s back then.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/10/16 at 8:02 pm

Well, it's not like a lot of 2000s influences came out by that time. Plus, a lot of people still thought of it as the 90s back then.

They were the still the '90s, but true '90s culture (I.e. - Married with Children, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Family Matters) had taken a backseat to the incoming 2000s stuff (Sonic the Hedgehog, The Real World, Law and Order) in those years.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/10/16 at 8:05 pm

They were the still the '90s, but true '90s culture (I.e. - Married with Children, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Family Matters) had taken a backseat to the incoming 2000s stuff (Sonic the Hedgehog, The Real World, Law and Order) in those years.

All of that stuff you mentioned were really popular during the 90s. So, I don't get on how The Real World, Law and Order, and Sonic were known as 2000s classics.  ???

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/10/16 at 8:18 pm

All of that stuff you mentioned were really popular during the 90s. So, I don't get on how The Real World, Law and Order, and Sonic were known as 2000s classics.  ???

The Real World, Law and Order, and Sonic the Hedgehog were all better in the 1990s, but the '90s were not the period of those shows and video game characters. The Real World, Law and Order, and Sonic came out of the '90s. They were not there from the first minute of the 1990s, so they're not "90s".

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/10/16 at 8:20 pm

The Real World, Law and Order, and Sonic the Hedgehog were all better in the 1990s, but the '90s were not the period of those shows and video game characters. The Real World, Law and Order, and Sonic came out of the '90s. They were not there from the first minute of the 1990s, so they're not "90s".

But all of them came out during the early 90s, which still makes them classics during the decade.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/10/16 at 8:25 pm

But all of them came out during the early 90s…

Exactly. If you somehow woke up in January of 1990, none of them would exist.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/10/16 at 8:50 pm

Exactly. If you somehow woke up in January of 1990, none of them would exist.

But that doesn't mean the entire decade was formed in January of 1990. It just started by then.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/10/16 at 10:07 pm

Yeah I agree with early 90s guy. The true 90s culture happened in the early 90s. Or at least early to mid 90s. Late 90s were definitely the least 90s like and much more 2000s like.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/10/16 at 10:18 pm

But that doesn't mean the entire decade was formed in January of 1990. It just started by then.

I never said the entire time was formed in January of '90. I was implying that Sonic, The Real World, and Law and Order are not "90s". They were introduced in the 90s, so they do not qualify as '90s culture.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/11/16 at 5:39 am

I never said the entire time was formed in January of '90. I was implying that Sonic, The Real World, and Law and Order are not "90s". They were introduced in the 90s, so they do not qualify as '90s culture.

But a lot of people still qualify them as 90s culture. Especially Sonic, which became an extremely large icon during that decade.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/11/16 at 9:41 am

But a lot of people still qualify them as 90s culture. Especially Sonic, which became an extremely large icon during that decade.

Well, a lot of people are wrong then. '90s culture (I.e. - The Fred Wolf Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon, Married with Children, and Full House) was gone by 1999, Sonic was not.

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/scale_small/0/2906/378232-ngpc_sonicpocketadventure_front.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/5/56882/1329958-sonicx_title_english.png

http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/object/142/14286205/Sonics_UGC_PS3_ESRB1.jpg

Sonic was not as important to the 2000s as Pokémon, but the games were still sold from the beginning of the 2000s to the very end.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/11/16 at 10:37 am

Well, a lot of people are wrong then. '90s culture (I.e. - The Fred Wolf Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon, Married with Children, and Full House) was gone by 1999, Sonic was not.

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/scale_small/0/2906/378232-ngpc_sonicpocketadventure_front.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/5/56882/1329958-sonicx_title_english.png

Sonic was not as important to the 2000s as Pokémon, but the games were still sold from the beginning of the 2000s to the very end.

I could get that Sonic was sort of popular during the 2000s. In fact, the franchise still gained popularity with Sonic Adventure 2, the Sonic Advance trilogy, Sonic Rush, the Sonic X anime, and Sonic '06 (despite being critically panned). However, most people could agree that Sonic's golden age was in the Genesis era. The original Sonic trilogy was some of the best games for Sega's career. It not only made the Genesis' identity, but it also made competition with Nintendo during the early-mid 90s console wars.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/11/16 at 12:13 pm

I could get that Sonic was sort of popular during the 2000s. In fact, the franchise still gained popularity with Sonic Adventure 2, the Sonic Advance trilogy, Sonic Rush, the Sonic X anime, and Sonic '06 (despite being critically panned). However, most people could agree that Sonic's golden age was in the Genesis era. The original Sonic trilogy was some of the best games for Sega's career. It not only made the Genesis' identity, but it also made competition with Nintendo during the early-mid 90s console wars.

Sonic was new in the '90s, so I do not see him as a '90s pop culture icon like I do Super Mario.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 10/11/16 at 1:00 pm

The Simpsons is still here but it was a huge part of 90s culture.

Written By: #Infinity on 10/11/16 at 1:46 pm

I just hope Sonic '06 isn't more chronologically significant to Sonic's legacy than the original trilogy on the Genesis.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/11/16 at 3:01 pm

The Simpsons is still here but it was a huge part of 90s culture.

The Simpsons started in the '90s like Sonic did.

The Christmas Special was not the pilot to the series. People today want it to be, but it was a one-shot seasonal program at the time.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/11/16 at 3:07 pm

I just hope Sonic '06 isn't more chronologically significant to Sonic's legacy than the original trilogy on the Genesis.

I think a lot of people wouldn't care so much about Sonic '06, whenever people are talking about his legacy.

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/11/16 at 4:06 pm

I'm still bothered by the fact that people keep bringing up Sonic '06 as if the game released recently. The game released a decade ago. Multiple things were going wrong at the time which caused it to fail. In order for us to get something as bad as '06 the things that happened during the development of that MUST happen again. And oddly enough it did, but for Sonic Boom. But what's odd about Sonic Boom is that despite it being bad it doesn't have as big of a legacy as Sonic '06. Probably due to it being in a spinoff series and not the main series and the fact that it didn't sell well while '06 did.

As for the issues that Sonic '06 had that caused it to fail?
- Yuji Naka (the creator of Sonic) leaving mid-development
- Making the game for consoles they didn't fully understand (in game development you must understand how the console works in order to make the game compatible with it)
- Rushing the deadline of the release of the game (we all know how rushing anything is bad)
- Splinting half the dev team go to work on Sonic and the Secret Rings. This lowered manpower for Sonic '06.

These are the 3 key things that ruined '06. No other Sonic main game suffered these fates which is why none of the other ones are described to be as bad as Sonic '06.

Now the problems with Sonic Boom are similar to Sonic '06's
- Development Staff leaving mid-development which lowered manpower for the game's development.
- Making the game on the Wii U hardware which the team didn't fully understand (they used the CryEngine which isn't compatible with the Wii U)
- Rushing the release date of the game

All the other Sonic games that  are considered "bad" by other people only suffered from one of the issues I mentioned (which is just that they were rushed to the market). So while they're not critically acclaimed they're also not downright terrible.

As for Sonic being a symbol of 1990's culture I think he is. Sonic is the one that started the edgy mascot platformer character craze of that took place in the 1990s. And he is the one that helped Sega stand a chance against Nintendo. By 1999 Sonic was more of a extreme mascot platformer (in advertising you'd see Sonic snowboarding and running down buildings). 1991 classic Sonic was more edgy mascot platformer (marketing points was how he was cool, had attitude, fast). Sonic became a product of the era he was in. By 1999 when the Extreme sports trend was in place Sonic became more of a Extreme Sports platform character.

Written By: Zelek3 on 10/11/16 at 4:27 pm

Most people say 06 began Sonic's dark age, but I say it was Shadow the Hedgehog. That game was just terrible.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 10/11/16 at 4:40 pm

The Simpsons started in the '90s like Sonic did.

The Christmas Special was not the pilot to the series. People today want it to be, but it was a one-shot seasonal program at the time.

But even before that there were Simpsons shorts on the Tracey Ullman Show going back to 87. Even if you count the second episode as the first, January 14, 1990 was so early in the 80s it may as well have been the late 80s. Even by your standards it was there the entire decade except for 13 days.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bart_the_Genius

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/11/16 at 5:31 pm

But even before that there were Simpsons shorts on the Tracey Ullman Show going back to 87. Even if you count the second episode as the first, January 14, 1990 was so early in the 80s it may as well have been the late 80s. Even by your standards it was there the entire decade except for 13 days.

If that was coming from the Early 90s Guy, then it wouldn't really matter. He would still think that the second episode of Season 1 is the actual "pilot" of The Simpsons. Especially when he thinks that, since it was the first episode that had the traditional chalk and couch gags. Despite this, I pretty much think that the Christmas special was the pilot for The Simpsons. No matter what the Early 90s Guy thinks of it.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/11/16 at 5:37 pm

I think certain shows, such as The Simpsons, don't belong to one specific decade because they are more generational and span through multiple decades.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/11/16 at 5:40 pm

I think certain shows, such as The Simpsons, don't belong to one specific decade because they are more generational and span through multiple decades.

Definitely. Although, people could say that the series was way better in the 90s.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/11/16 at 7:34 pm

Even if you count the second episode as the first, January 14, 1990 was so early in the 90s it may as well have been the late 80s. Even by your standards it was there the entire decade except for 13 days.

The '80s ended on Dec. 31, 1989. No one, at the time, thought we were still living in 80s.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/11/16 at 7:45 pm

If that was coming from the Early 90s Guy, then it wouldn't really matter. He would still think that the second episode of Season 1 is the actual "pilot" of The Simpsons. Especially when he thinks that, since it was the first episode that had the traditional chalk and couch gags. Despite this, I pretty much think that the Christmas special was the pilot for The Simpsons. No matter what the Early 90s Guy thinks of it.

"Bart the Genius" was billed as the series premiere back in 1989.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/11/16 at 8:01 pm

The '80s ended on Dec. 31, 1989. No one, at the time, thought we were still living in 80s.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people knew that they were still living in the 80s. I mean, it's not like a lot of 80s culture drifted off into obscurity by the time 1989 came. People were still playing with their NES, they were still making new installments for 80s slasher franchises (e.g. Halloween), the Game Boy was relatively new at the time, stuff like The Cosby Show were still on the air, and nobody really gave a crap to see if the 90s came that fast.

Even with that, it still made the Christmas special as the first episode to air from The Simpsons. Sure, "Bart the Genius" could be a pilot with that. However, this is coming from a show that debuted near the Christmas season of 1989. It's not like Fox would openly say that they would air "Bart The Genius" first, instead of the Christmas special.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/11/16 at 8:19 pm

I'm pretty sure a lot of people knew that they were still living in the 80s. I mean, it's not like a lot of 80s culture drifted off into obscurity by the time 1989 came. People were still playing with their NES, they were still making new installments for 80s slasher franchises (e.g. Halloween), the Game Boy was relatively new at the time, stuff like The Cosby Show were still on the air, and nobody really gave a crap to see if the 90s came that fast.

Those are all "80s/90s" things.

Even with that, it still made the Christmas special as the first episode to air from The Simpsons. Sure, "Bart the Genius" could be a pilot with that. However, this is coming from a show that debuted near the Christmas season of 1989. It's not like Fox would openly say that they would air "Bart The Genius" first, instead of the Christmas special.

"Bart the Genius" was the pilot.

"The Christmas Special" was a stand-alone TV special, not the debut.

David Silverman, a director on the show, even acknowledged this fact on his Twitter.

Here's the link: https://twitter.com/tubatron/status/555436268365287425

Written By: JordanK1982 on 10/11/16 at 8:54 pm

Gotta admit, early 90's guy does have a good point about the Simpson's up there.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 10/11/16 at 9:30 pm

Meaning the episode was actually created in 1989.
Clarissa Explains it all was from 1991-1994. Are you going to call that an 00s show?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/11/16 at 9:47 pm

Those are all "80s/90s" things.

But nobody thought of them as 90s things during 1989. They may thinking of the new decade coming up, but it's not like they were completely sure that those things would part of the 90s.

"Bart the Genius" was the pilot.

"The Christmas Special" was a stand-alone TV special, not the debut.

David Silverman, a director on the show, even acknowledged this fact on his Twitter.

Here's the link: https://twitter.com/tubatron/status/555436268365287425

I'd get the fact that the episode was produced in May of 1989, but what about the Tracey Ullman shorts? The ones that were made between 1987-1989, before Matt Groening decided to pitch it as a show to Fox?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/11/16 at 9:50 pm

Clarissa Explains it all was from 1991-1994. Are you going to call that an 00s show?

There's no way in hell it could be a 2000s show. Not even the earliest 00s kids would even recognize it, since they were still too young to watch it when they were younger. They would have recognized the Nick Jr shows from the late 80s/early 90s more than the original Clarissa.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 10/11/16 at 10:07 pm

I hope not, too, because that would be a sad thing. I just don't think it's conceivable for anybody that grew up with the original trilogy, though.

I mean, sure, I played Sonic '06 back in the day, and just like everybody else, it still stands out to me even 10 years later due to how singularly atrocious a game it was. But, even after two decades, whenever I think of Sonic the Hedgehog today, the first two things that come to me are my Sega Genesis, and waking up on Saturday mornings to watch the SatAM show. I gotta figure it's the same for most other 16-bit kids.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/11/16 at 10:25 pm

The episode was made in '89, but it aired in the '90s.

No, it was a mid '90s show.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/11/16 at 10:28 pm

The episode was made in '89, but it aired in the '90s.

Then what is it? Is it a show that took from the 80s, or is it generally a show that was made in the 90s?

No, it was a mid '90s show.

The majority of the show aired from the early 90s. Shouldn't it be an early 90s show, because of that?

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/11/16 at 10:32 pm

But nobody thought of them as 90s things during 1989. They may thinking of the new decade coming up, but it's not like they were completely sure that those things would part of the 90s.

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/01/0124bd937bf3a02ca578a1a67ab465378e22da2fca3b43996c417695c254bac7.jpg

???

I'd get the fact that the episode was produced in May of 1989, but what about the Tracey Ullman shorts? The ones that were made between 1987-1989, before Matt Groening decided to pitch it as a show to Fox?

Those 30 second bumpers were a part of The Tracey Ullman Show, so most people file them under that show.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/11/16 at 10:46 pm

Then what is it? Is it a show that took from the 80s, or is it generally a show that was made in the 90s?

It's an early 21st century show that started in the '90s. 

The majority of the show aired from the early 90s. Shouldn't it be an early 90s show, because of that?

It premiered in the early 90s and peaked in 1993, so it's a mid '90s show.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/12/16 at 9:43 am

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/01/0124bd937bf3a02ca578a1a67ab465378e22da2fca3b43996c417695c254bac7.jpg

???

What else could I tell you? It's not like 90s culture started instantly once January 1, 1990 (12:00 AM) clutched the clock.

Written By: aja675 on 10/12/16 at 10:05 am

The husband of a distant relative of mine got arrested because of Megaupload. When their home was raided, she thought that a policeman was a stripper that her husband hired. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asia_Agcaoili

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/12/16 at 10:18 am

The husband of a distant relative of mine got arrested because of Megaupload. When their home was raided, she thought that a policeman was a stripper that her husband hired. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asia_Agcaoili

So apparently Megaupload is illegal in the Philippines. Never knew that. But I still miss using the site back in the late 2000s.

Written By: #Infinity on 10/12/16 at 12:32 pm

There's no way in hell it could be a 2000s show. Not even the earliest 00s kids would even recognize it, since they were still too young to watch it when they were younger. They would have recognized the Nick Jr shows from the late 80s/early 90s more than the original Clarissa.

People rewatched it from 1999 to 2010, 100% of the spirit of '99 decade. They did not watch it at all in 1990, so it did not exist for the entirety of thr spirit of '90 decade.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/12/16 at 2:15 pm

People rewatched it from 1999 to 2010, 100% of the spirit of '99 decade. They did not watch it at all in 1990, so it did not exist for the entirety of the spirit of '90 decade.

Damn, you're right. Although, it was put on "The 90s Are All That" block (now The Splat), which airs old Nickelodeon shows for nostalgia purposes starting in 2011.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 10/12/16 at 6:38 pm

I'm asking according to his logic. According to him, the Simpsons can't be called a 90s show because Bart the Genius wasn't on TV on or before January 1st 1990. The fact it wasn't there for the first 2 weeks of the 90s means it's not a 90s show to him.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/12/16 at 6:42 pm

I'm asking according to his logic. According to him, the Simpsons can't be called a 90s show because Bart the Genius wasn't on TV on or before January 1st 1990. The fact it wasn't there for the first 2 weeks of the 90s means it's not a 90s show to him.

Even though the show had its roots all the way back to 1987, along with getting a Christmas special that aired in December of 1989.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/12/16 at 7:21 pm

Even though the show had its roots all the way back to 1987, along with getting a Christmas special that aired in December of 1989.

Yes, I agree. The Simpsons had its roots in 1987, and its first official episode aired in December 1989, but I'm sure it wasn't fully blown popular until spring of 1990, like TheEarly90s guy said once, or three times.

Written By: aja675 on 10/12/16 at 7:44 pm

So apparently Megaupload is illegal in the Philippines. Never knew that. But I still miss using the site back in the late 2000s.
But her husband is Dutch.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/12/16 at 7:47 pm

But her husband is Dutch.

I found out that the husband got arrested in New Zealand, though.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 10/12/16 at 7:48 pm

I mentioned both of that but it doesn't count for him. He says the Christmas special was meant to be a one time thing and not the first episode and doesn't count the Ullman shorts at all.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/12/16 at 7:52 pm

I mentioned both of that but it doesn't count for him. He says the Christmas special was meant to be a one time thing and not the first episode and doesn't count the Ullman shorts at all.

Even with that, the first season wasn't really part of the golden age of The Simpsons, imo. I think that Seasons 2-11 were part of the golden age, since that's with the most memorable episodes of the series. Also, the first season had choppy animation compared to the later seasons.

Written By: Zelek3 on 10/12/16 at 7:52 pm

Season 11 is terrible

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/12/16 at 7:55 pm

Season 11 is terrible

It wasn't as mediocre as the other seasons, though. Hell, I even enjoy some of the episodes from that one.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/13/16 at 12:06 pm

Even with that, the first season wasn't really part of the golden age of The Simpsons, imo. I think that Seasons 2-11 were part of the golden age, since that's with the most memorable episodes of the series. Also, the first season had choppy animation compared to the later seasons.

According to some folks, the golden age of the simpsons was Homer at Bat until the season where there were two Skinners. So Seasons 3-9.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/13/16 at 1:25 pm

According to some folks, the golden age of the simpsons was Homer at Bat until the season where there were two Skinners. So Seasons 3-9.

It's close, but it's not that bad of a guess. Seasons 3 through 9 were okay for The Simpsons. Hell, even most of my favorite episodes came from those seasons.

Written By: #Infinity on 10/13/16 at 1:54 pm

That's debatable. Most people still consider seasons 1 and 2, not to mention the first half of 3, as part of the golden age, too. Sure, it was really seasons 4 through 7 that are generally considered thr series' best, but even as the show was still finding its voice, the "Bartmania" era of the Simpsons was still incredibly to revolutionary to television at the time and still contains so many of the show's most iconic episodes and moments, most notably Homer's famous fall off of Springfield Gorge in Bart the Daredevil, a season 2 episode.

Conversely, as much as The Principal and the Pauper was probably The Simpsons' biggest shark-jumping moment, the decline wasn't nearly as abrupt as the episode's Wikipedia article lets on. For one thing, the showrunner on that episode was actually not Mike Scully, but Bill Oakley and Josh Weinstein, since it was a season 8 production holdover. In fact, season 8 itself was really the true beginning of The Simpsons' gradual fall from grace. While there were still series highlights, like You Only Move Twice, The Springfield Files, and Homer's Enemy, about half of that season, though not bad, was definitely mediocre compared to what had been standard the prior several years. Season 9, despite being clearly worse than season 8, was still far superior to everything to follow; The Principal and the Pauper was easily one of its least popular outings. As a whole, the consensus is that season 9's quality is on par with season 1, albeit for different reasons. Season 10, particularly When You Dish Upon a Star, D-oh'in in the Wind, and Homer Simpson in: Kidney Trouble were really the biggest indicators that The Simpsons' golden age was over.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/13/16 at 2:27 pm

That's debatable. Most people still consider seasons 1 and 2, not to mention the first half of 3, as part of the golden age, too. Sure, it was really seasons 4 through 7 that are generally considered thr series' best, but even as the show was still finding its voice, the "Bartmania" era of the Simpsons was still incredibly to revolutionary to television at the time and still contains so many of the show's most iconic episodes and moments, most notably Homer's famous fall off of Springfield Gorge in Bart the Daredevil, a season 2 episode.

Conversely, as much as The Principal and the Pauper was probably The Simpsons' biggest shark-jumping moment, the decline wasn't nearly as abrupt as the episode's Wikipedia article lets on. For one thing, the showrunner on that episode was actually not Mike Scully, but Bill Oakley and Josh Weinstein, since it was a season 8 production holdover. In fact, season 8 itself was really the true beginning of The Simpsons' gradual fall from grace. While there were still series highlights, like You Only Move Twice, The Springfield Files, and Homer's Enemy, about half of that season, though not bad, was definitely mediocre compared to what had been standard the prior several years. Season 9, despite being clearly worse than season 8, was still far superior to everything to follow; The Principal and the Pauper was easily one of its least popular outings. As a whole, the consensus is that season 9's quality is on par with season 1, albeit for different reasons. Season 10, particularly When You Dish Upon a Star, D-oh'in in the Wind, and Homer Simpson in: Kidney Trouble were really the biggest indicators that The Simpsons' golden age was over.

Frankly, Seasons 9-12 were quite questionable, but they were still okay to me in my opinion. I only like the later seasons because of the Treehouse of Horror specials.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/13/16 at 2:57 pm

Conversely, as much as The Principal and the Pauper was probably The Simpsons' biggest shark-jumping moment, the decline wasn't nearly as abrupt as the episode's Wikipedia article lets on.

I just watched the episode, and I realize why a lot of people think that The Simpsons truly jumped the shark during Season 9. That, and I never knew that Principal Skinner was actually Armin Tamzarian. Even when I was really into the show as a kid. So in honor of the real Seymour, I'll have him as my avatar.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 12/06/16 at 10:58 pm

I hope not, too, because that would be a sad thing. I just don't think it's conceivable for anybody that grew up with the original trilogy, though.

I mean, sure, I played Sonic '06 back in the day, and just like everybody else, it still stands out to me even 10 years later due to how singularly atrocious a game it was. But, even after two decades, whenever I think of Sonic the Hedgehog today, the first two things that come to me are my Sega Genesis, and waking up on Saturday mornings to watch the SatAM show. I gotta figure it's the same for most other 16-bit kids.

You'd be surprised but for many people it ain't;

t7AtQHXCW5s

These guys I think are around your age and are some of the most pessimistic people on the Sonic franchise I know of, its nauseating. I agree, its a shame that people have such a negative view on the franchise because of a few bad games in the series. Have they forgotten the golden age in the Genesis era? Or the still pretty good era during the Dreamcast/GameCube? Or the recent slew of great games like Sonic Colors or Sonic Generations? Idk, it just seems like people will always find something to bitch about

Written By: Zelek3 on 12/06/16 at 11:14 pm

t7AtQHXCW5s

These guys I think are around your age and are some of the most pessimistic people on the Sonic franchise I know of, its nauseating. I agree, its a shame that people have such a negative view on the franchise because of a few bad games in the series. Have they forgotten the golden age in the Genesis era? Or the still pretty good era during the Dreamcast/GameCube? Or the recent slew of great games like Sonic Colors or Sonic Generations? Idk, it just seems like people will always find something to bitch about

The Game Grumps are hilarious man. :P

Even as a Sonic fan, I can still chuckle right along with them about what a disgrace the franchise was from about 2005 to 2009. :P

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/07/16 at 6:54 am

t7AtQHXCW5s

It depends. I really cherished the Genesis games, along with the ones on the Dreamcast and Game Boy Advance. I always think that people believe it sucks for the most part, is that their fandom sucks. Most of the time, people make fun of the hardcore fans and call them autistic, just because they made a few fanart pieces on the Internet. What's worse is that they generalize it from those who make a lot of fetish art on Sonic. I may have to agree that their fandom isn't perfect, but it's not like the entire fandom is insane as hell.

Written By: Looney Toon on 12/07/16 at 11:42 am

t7AtQHXCW5s

Can't stand egoraptor. First Sonic game I ever owned was Sonic Jam for the Sega Saturn in 1997 (was a collection of the genesis games, but on the Saturn). To best honest the only truly bad games are Sonic 06, Shadow, and Rise of Lyric. Unleashed is a bit mixed and same for Secret Rings and Black Knight (and also Lost World, I guess). But all the other games (and there are a ton) are pretty decent. Sonic Hedgehog 1-3, Sonic Advance 1-3, Sonic Rush & Rush Adventure, Sonic Adventure 1-2, Sonic Heroes, Sonic Colors, Sonic Generations, Sonic CD, Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing & Racing Transformed, Sonic Battle etc etc

Sonic has more good/decent games than bad/terrible games to me. If only Lance (for those of you know him from the PerC forum a while back, I think) was here. He'd probably burst in anger at the sight of seeing Sonic hatred.  ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/07/16 at 2:20 pm

Can't stand egoraptor. First Sonic game I ever owned was Sonic Jam for the Sega Saturn in 1997 (was a collection of the genesis games, but on the Saturn). To best honest the only truly bad games are Sonic 06, Shadow, and Rise of Lyric. Unleashed is a bit mixed and same for Secret Rings and Black Knight (and also Lost World, I guess). But all the other games (and there are a ton) are pretty decent. Sonic Hedgehog 1-3, Sonic Advance 1-3, Sonic Rush & Rush Adventure, Sonic Adventure 1-2, Sonic Heroes, Sonic Colors, Sonic Generations, Sonic CD, Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing & Racing Transformed, Sonic Battle etc etc

Sonic has more good/decent games than bad/terrible games to me. If only Lance (for those of you know him from the PerC forum a while back, I think) was here. He'd probably burst in anger at the sight of seeing Sonic hatred.  ;D

Most of the hatred came from the fans, where everyone thought the franchise was extremely repetitive for anyone else. Although, I don't really care for the people who say that. I don't like Sonic that much only because of how Sega treats it better than their other franchises. It's kinda sad for them to do such a thing, since they had other good franchises like Shining Force, Streets of Rage, Phantasy Star, and many others. Now, they're just known for simply making Sonic games and no other franchises get the fame.

Written By: Zelek3 on 12/07/16 at 3:06 pm

Must admit I'm feeling a little nostalgic for the early 2010s at this point.

Compared to now, they seemed like a more optimistic time, that's feeling more and more out of our reach. I know everyone says "the past was more optimistic", but it really DOES feel like Obama's first term (2009-2012) had a more jubilant feel compared to his second (2013-2016).

Now our country is split in half, political tensions are rising, and the media has something of a grim feel. More people are embracing and normalizing cruel behavior because "It's funny lol" or "fuk da PC police". :P

Written By: Looney Toon on 12/07/16 at 3:20 pm

Compared to now, they seemed like a more optimistic time, that's feeling more and more out of our reach. I know everyone says "the past was more optimistic", but it really DOES feel like Obama's first term (2009-2012) had a more jubilant feel compared to his second (2013-2016).

Now our country is split in half, political tensions are rising, and the media has something of a grim feel. More people are embracing and normalizing cruel behavior because "It's funny lol" or "fuk da PC police". :P

People ALWAYS say that the past was more optimistic. Yet I keep hearing stories from people who lived through several decades saying that there were in fact quite a few dark and depressing times. Whether it's pop cultural, economical, political, or personal. However, I do like the more upbeat/colorful vibe of the 2010s. To think that a lot of stuff we have problems with now weren't all that bad just 4-6 years ago (although this is subjective).

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/07/16 at 3:52 pm

I... 100% agree with this. Ever since Obama got reelected, people acted very strange. I've been trying to hide my political opinions because of it, even though I never thought of Obama as a great president. Every time I look at sh*t on the Internet, it's always crazy ass far-right supporters saying very explicit stuff about Obama. And by that, I mean it very cautiously. Everything they say about him is just because of his race, not because of the content of his character, his personality, his political ideas, etc. No! It's all just people bashing him for having African heritage, along with being a friggin' Democrat. Not to mention that they think their political opinions matter more than Democrats, even though nobody really cares. I have a few Trump supporters as friends (even though they sh*t about Obama), but they take their opinions personally when it comes to politics.

On the political side of him, he.. never really did a lot of f*cked up sh*t. At least during his first term. During his second term, he gave less craps about American society while taking care of his other political duties. When there was a lot of sh*t happening in 2012-2016, Obama barely gave the common American something to decrease all of the riots and shootings. Hell, even when presidents like Lyndon B. Johnson and George H.W. Bush were president, they were aware that all of these riots happened and people respected them. We're in 2016 (along with living in a social media era), and Obama, especially with having a Twitter himself, doesn't care. Add to the fact that SJWs keep corrupting the Internet so often, it gave Trump a lot of electoral votes during the election. It saddens me to this day, that nobody gave a crap about analyzing of what Trump and Clinton would do as president, and instead just keep goofing around until Election Day came. Bernie Sanders had a lot better ideologies than Trump and Clinton both imo, and then the Democrats gave him a metaphorical "F*ck you" when they favored Hillary.

tl;dr Obama was only good during his first term, and Bernie Sanders should've been our 45th president.

Written By: 2001 on 12/07/16 at 4:00 pm

Well, teens nowadays are becoming literal Neo-Nazis in droves (or "fashisters" as they call themselves). Some because they actually hate blacks and Jews (or as they say, (((Jews)))). Others because the "edgy" memes are funny to them.

That was unheard of 4-6 years ago. :P

Wait, didn't you vote for T***p? And a lot of what you're saying here is contradictory to what you were saying a few weeks ago...

Well, not that anything you've said in this thread is wrong so far :P Even as a skinny jean-wearing digital native millennial, I'm still in a state of disbelief that virtual life with its maymays had any actual impact in the real world and influenced a presidential election. We're in a new world in 2016. Not even 2012 was like this.

Written By: 2001 on 12/07/16 at 4:02 pm

Yeah, I agree with this. I'm still a Sonic fan despite some of the poop. ;D

But I'm also a Nintendo fan so that should surprise no one kii

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/07/16 at 4:04 pm

Well, teens nowadays are becoming literal Neo-Nazis in droves (or "fashisters" as they call themselves). Some because they actually hate blacks and Jews (or as they say, (((Jews)))). Others because the "edgy" memes are funny to them.

That was unheard of 4-6 years ago. :P

I personally blame the Alt Right movement for giving racist white teens an idea to harass anybody who isn't part of their race.

Wait, didn't you vote for T***p? And a lot of what you're saying here is contradictory to what you were saying a few weeks ago... well, not that anything you've said in this thread is wrong so far :P

Not all Trump supporters like the Alt Right, nor any other white supremacist organization or movement.

Written By: 2001 on 12/07/16 at 4:32 pm

I don't think I said was voting for Trump (correct me if I'm wrong). I just pointed out the media bias surrounding him, and how comedy TV shows always make fun of him, but rarely made fun of Hillary despite her being out-of-touch and less charismatic than a sack of bricks.

But... not to "expose" you or anything, you literally posted this on this very board  ??? (you can click the timestamp to take you to the post)

Face it people, you can't stump the Trump.

The liberal clickbait media slanders him at every turn, throwing all the buzzwords you can imagine at him (sexist, racist, homophobic, bigot, etc.), but he only gets stronger. The far-left, politically correct, SJW fad is about to come to an end.

Written By: Zelek3 on 12/07/16 at 4:37 pm

But... not to "expose" you or anything, you literally posted this on this very board  ??? (you can click the timestamp to take you to the post)

I was trolling. :P

Hey, I've seen you do it, why can't I? :P

Written By: 2001 on 12/07/16 at 4:45 pm

I was trolling. :P

Hey, I've seen you do it, why can't I? :P

Oh, but that matched up with what you were saying on GAF too. Oh well, if you say so.  ;D

My trolling is artistiqué, and leaves subtle hints as to my true intentions.

https://media.giphy.com/media/gztUI7yXONfiM/giphy.gif

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/11/20 at 11:28 pm

Revisiting this old thread, I feel somewhat embarrassed at my youthful ignorance.

Even though the changes between 2000 and 2009 were big, having looked more closely at 90s culture since then, the changes between 1990 and 1999 were MUCH bigger lol. Heck, 1990 was already quite dated by 1995. 2000 was already dated by 2005, but it wasn't as tremendous.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/11/20 at 11:38 pm

Wow, I'm eating my 2016 words lol. On Reddit every week there's a popular "Early 2010s nostalgia starter pack" that has Angry Birds, Minecraft, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, etc.

Seems like I'm akin to mach!ne_he@d in making bad predictions.

Written By: 2001 on 01/11/20 at 11:47 pm

Wow, I'm eating my 2016 words lol. On Reddit every week there's a popular "Early 2010s nostalgia starter pack" that has Angry Birds, Minecraft, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, etc.

You said Angry Birds came out 8 years ago, when it actually came out December 2009 (basically 2010), which was only 6 years ago at the time ;D

And lord, I hated Angry Birds. My friends and coworkers would borrow my phone to play Angry Birds and hand my phone back dead.  >:(

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/12/20 at 12:11 am

You said Angry Birds came out 8 years ago, when it actually came out December 2009 (basically 2010), which was only 6 years ago at the time ;D

And lord, I hated Angry Birds. My friends and coworkers would borrow my phone to play Angry Birds and hand my phone back dead.  >:(
...I only got to see the film.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/12/20 at 2:43 am

I'm also feeling weird looking at my 2016 posts about alt right vs SJWs and explaining racist memes for the first time. Those are a blast from the past lol.

That 2014-2017 era of the internet with all the political polarization feels quite dated now. I mean people are still polarized but not as much as a few years ago.

Written By: 2001 on 01/12/20 at 7:37 am

I'm also feeling weird looking at my 2016 posts about alt right vs SJWs and explaining racist memes for the first time. Those are a blast from the past lol.

That 2014-2017 era of the internet with all the political polarization feels quite dated now. I mean people are still polarized but not as much as a few years ago.

I'm also embarrassed by the political posts I made then. ;D

Written By: Sman12 on 01/15/20 at 1:06 pm

Those were dark, yet often hilarious times (with edgy memes becoming more of a phenomenon than ever).

Check for new replies or respond here...