inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 00s: The Most Rapid, Changeful Decade?

Written By: Zelek2 on 02/08/16 at 3:45 pm

It's been said before but the 00s seemed to me like one of the most rapid, changeful decades ever.

Like, in the year 2000, Pokemania was big. Video games, trading card games, with anime (with Misty), movies, soundtracks, pajamas, etc.

But by 2007 - only a mere SEVEN years later - Pokemon had of a feeling of "that's in the past, it's all been done before, that's ancient history, the world was a much different place back then, etc." I even remember some of my friends in college starting to get nostalgic for the Pokemon craze, despite that only being a mere SEVEN years ago!

By contrast, in 2016, I don't see anyone saying Angry Birds was a fond childhood memory, despite the release time between that and now being 8 years.

It seems that around 2004-2006, pop culture kind of lost its old, dated sheen and became shiny and new, and still remains shiny and new, to the point where it gets harder and harder to become nostalgic for more recent things.

Example: I can probably imagine a game like Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex becoming retro in a few years (if it isn't already), but I can NEVER imagine a game like Crash of the Titans being retro, despite that only coming out 6 years later.

Subject: Re: 00s: The Most Rapid, Changeful Decade?

Written By: bchris02 on 02/08/16 at 3:49 pm

It's been said before but the 00s seemed to me like one of the most rapid, changeful decades ever.

Like, in the year 2000, Pokemania was big. Video games, trading card games, with anime (with Misty), movies, soundtracks, pajamas, etc.

But by 2007 - only a mere SEVEN years later - Pokemon had of a feeling of "that's in the past, it's all been done before, that's ancient history, the world was a much different place back then, etc." I even remember some of my friends in college starting to get nostalgic for the Pokemon craze, despite that only being a mere SEVEN years ago!

By contrast, in 2016, I don't see anyone saying Angry Birds was a fond childhood memory, despite the release time between that and now being 8 years.

It seems that around 2004-2006, pop culture kind of lost its old, dated sheen and became shiny and new, and still remains shiny and new, to the point where it gets harder and harder to become nostalgic for more recent things.

Example: I can probably imagine the PS2 becoming retro in a few years, but I can never imagine the Wii being retro, despite that only coming out 6 years later.
Modify message

I would say the '90s were the most rapid, changeful decade.  1999 was a lot farther from 1990 than 2009 was from 2000.  The '90s saw the end of the Cold War, end of the Reagan-Bush era, three distinct eras of music and fashion, and the rise of the Internet era.  In 1990, music was still purchased primarily on cassette or vinyl unless you were an early adopter of CDs.  In 1999, it was primarily CD and the digital era was starting to burgeon.

I'll put it this way.  In 2009, you could dress like you did in 2000 and get away with it.  In 1999, you couldn't dress like you did in 1990.

Written By: #Infinity on 02/08/16 at 4:21 pm

Yep, exactly what bchris02 said.  The early, mid, and late 90s were such distinct periods that they could practically qualify as entire cultural decades compressed into the span of a few years each.  The opposite ends of the 1990s are entire worlds apart.  Hip hop went from MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice in 1990 to Jay-Z and Eminem in 1999, pop went from Michael Bolton and Paula Abdul in 1990 to Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera in 1999, hard rock went from Poison and Warrant in 1990 to Limp Bizkit and Korn in 1999, the gaming industry went from the NES still being the dominant console at the beginning of the decade to the Dreamcast receiving a lot of popularity in 1999, blockbuster films went from Total Recall and Die Hard 2 in 1990 to The Matrix and The Phantom Menace in 1999.  Cassettes were still more popular than CD's in 1990, while mp3 sharing sites were a big craze by 1999.  The Internet hardly existed whatsoever in 1990, whereas plenty of households were connected by 1999, with major websites such as Amazon.com now fully established.  Fashion went from being dominated by gigantic perms, mullets, eraser tops, acid wash clothing, and neon colors in 1990 to tube tops, sweatpants, crop tops, A&F clothing, bobs cuts, spiked frosted tips, and pigtails by 1999.  To be fair, while there are certain things that tie the cultural early 90s to the Y2K era, such as alternative rock, the rise of global neoliberalism, and new-jack swing influences in pop (or at least rhythms that shuffle and pop), the entire atmospheres between the different periods of the 90s are still extremely distant from each other.

Probably the most significant innovations of the 2000s were social media websites and online video.  While I think 2000 leans a bit more towards the 90s and 2009 is a bit closer to the 2010s, that doesn't mean the 2000s themselves were that changeful.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/08/16 at 4:49 pm

Nope the 60s and 90s were. Maybe to those who grew up during the decade it may have seemed changeful.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/08/16 at 4:58 pm

2000's were rapid in technology, political events, television, & economics. It was certainly more rapid than most decades but it wasn't as rapid as the 60's or the 90's IMO

Written By: Zelek2 on 02/08/16 at 5:05 pm

2000's were rapid in technology, political events, television, & economics. It was certainly more rapid than most decades but it wasn't as rapid as the 60's or the 90's IMO

You're a fan of Pokemon, right?

Well, let's say you re-watched some of the movies in 2007. Did they ever give you a feeling of "This is rooted in the distant past", even though they only came out 7 years ago?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/08/16 at 5:09 pm

Well, let's say you re-watched some of the movies in 2007. Did they ever give you a feeling of "This is rooted in the distant past", even though they only came out 7 years ago?

I rewtached Pokemon the Frist Movie and Pokemon 2000 in 2006/07ish, and they felt like it had been a few years. BUT it didn't feel like it had been FOREVER!

Written By: Toon on 02/08/16 at 5:10 pm

Nope the 60s and 90s were. Maybe to those who grew up during the decade it may have seemed changeful.

Yeah, the 1990's changes were a bit more rapid than the 2000s. The 2000s changed as well, but it wasn't to the same degree as the 1990s. 1980s was probably the last decade to feel consistent for most of the way through. Although the 2010s also feels more consistent (but this decade isn't over yet so I can't judge fairly, but so far it doesn't have as many rapid changes as the 1990s or even the 2000s).

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/08/16 at 5:51 pm

Yeah, the 1990's changes were a bit more rapid than the 2000s. The 2000s changed as well, but it wasn't to the same degree as the 1990s. 1980s was probably the last decade to feel consistent for most of the way through. Although the 2010s also feels more consistent (but this decade isn't over yet so I can't judge fairly, but so far it doesn't have as many rapid changes as the 1990s or even the 2000s).

Yeah, I felt like the 2010s were more slow than any decade in the late 20th century. I felt like late 2009 to mid 2010 transitioned from being the late 2000s to the early 2010s. Same with how late 2013 to mid 2014 transitioned from being the early 2010s to the mid 2010s. And I can't f*cking wait for the late 2010s to start, since this decade is really boring to me.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/08/16 at 7:22 pm

Pokemon The Movie was dated at that point no questions asked, but IDK if I would say 'distant past' at that point. Heck I'm not sure I'd consider anything from the early 2000's 'extremely distant' even by 2016 standards! Certainly dated, and or borderline retro though.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/08/16 at 7:23 pm

Also finally at 1000 Posts!!!

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/08/16 at 7:30 pm

They were definitely a rapidly changing decade but there are some connections between say 2004 and 2009. A lot of the music, fashions and trends that started in 2004 were still relevant and current in 2009 despite society transitioning away from that. Green Day released 21st Century Breakdown in 2009 which could be considered the sequel to American Garbage Idiot from 2004. Same crappy style, same bullsh!t political posturing. 2000-2002 on the other hand, isn't even the real 2000's and shouldn't be consider as such. They're closer to years of the 90's than the 00's.

Written By: Toon on 02/08/16 at 7:36 pm

Pokemon The Movie was dated at that point no questions asked, but IDK if I would say 'distant past' at that point. Heck I'm not sure I'd consider anything from the early 2000's 'extremely distant' even by 2016 standards! Certainly dated, and or borderline retro though.

To me the early '00s is very dated. Fashion, Music, Tech etc are nothing like how it is today. To me anything that is around 15+ years old is retro.

Written By: Zelek2 on 02/08/16 at 8:21 pm

As I said before, it seems like some kind of "border" was set up in 2005-2007 preventing things from after that point ever being "old".

Take for example the game Crash Bandicoot: The wrath of cortex (as I mentioned in my Op). Even though that was a mediocre game, I could pretty easily imagine it being seen as retro in 3-4 years. Then take a game like Crash of the Titans. Even ignoring whether or not that game was bad, I just can't ever imagine it being retro.

It seems that in-between those six years, the world crossed over into an "HD" plane of existence, similar to Dorothy entering the color universe in the Wizard of Oz. ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/08/16 at 8:27 pm

As I said before, it seems like some kind of "border" was set up in 2005-2007 preventing things from after that point ever being "old".

Take for example the game Crash Bandicoot: The wrath of cortex (as I mentioned in my Op). Even though that was a mediocre game, I could pretty easily imagine it being seen as retro in 3-4 years. Then take a game like Crash of the Titans. Even ignoring whether or not that game was bad, I just can't ever imagine it being retro.

It seems that in-between those six years, the world crossed over into an "HD" plane of existence, similar to Dorothy entering the color universe in the Wizard of Oz. ;D

Crash of the Titans was crap. One of the worst Crash games. Wrath of Cortex is pretty sick if you ask me. I'd extent that boarder to 2004 because things from 2004-2009 just seem outdated but still got that digital feel. They don't feel old, just not as current unlike good ol' 2000, 2001 and 2002 which feel more like years of the 20th century and are very distant from today.

2004-2009, man what an awful, awful time. It was like some weird perpetual MySpace dimension filled with bad poetry and sh!tty versions of the genres and bands I liked. I wish I could be glad it's over but the 2010's are just as bad, if not worse.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/08/16 at 10:23 pm

Crash of the Titans was crap. One of the worst Crash games. Wrath of Cortex is pretty sick if you ask me. I'd extent that boarder to 2004 because things from 2004-2009 just seem outdated but still got that digital feel. They don't feel old, just not as current unlike good ol' 2000, 2001 and 2002 which feel more like years of the 20th century and are very distant from today.

2004-2009, man what an awful, awful time. It was like some weird perpetual MySpace dimension filled with bad poetry and sh!tty versions of the genres and bands I liked. I wish I could be glad it's over but the 2010's are just as bad, if not worse.

Glad I didn't get Crash of the Titans as I had stopped playing Crash Bandicoot games by then. I got Crash Wrath of Cortex for my XBOX in 2004 and it was awesome, but I think it was the most challenging Crash Bandicoot game of the entire series. Crash Team Racing and Nitro Kart were epic too!

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/08/16 at 10:27 pm

Glad I didn't get Crash of the Titans as I had stopped playing Crash Bandicoot games by then. I got Crash Wrath of Cortex for my XBOX in 2004 and it was awesome, but I think it was the most challenging Crash Bandicoot game of the entire series. Crash Team Racing and Nitro Kart were epic too!

Haha, yeah man, it's the worst! I think Twinsanity is the last great Crash came. Wrath of Cortex was pretty difficult, huh? I can't tell you how many times I've gotten stuck in that game. I actually don't think I've finished it yet. I gotta dig out my old games so I can play them again! I liked the Crash racing games, too. They're lots of fun! I remember Tag Team racing being pretty decent too but not as good as the original one.

Written By: Zelek2 on 02/09/16 at 1:25 am

Like I said before, in 2007, it seemed "normal" for Gen Y college-aged kids to consider Pokemon a fond childhood memory. However, it's 2016, and I don't see anyone reminiscing on something like Angry Birds, even as late Yers/early Zers have turned college-aged. This is despite the gap between 2008 and now being the same amount as the time between Pokemania and 2007!

I honestly think a switch got flipped around 2004-2007 that made the world "perpetually modern", to the point where anything post-2005 being nostalgic just feels dirty and wrong. ;D

Written By: Zelek2 on 02/09/16 at 1:30 am

Wrath of Cortex is pretty sick if you ask me.

Wrath of Cortex had some really cool trance music, but I felt it lacked the "polish" of the PS1 games. The controls and physics felt a bit "floaty" compared to the Naughty Dog games, which were smooth as butter.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/09/16 at 1:38 am

I honestly think a switch got flipped around 2004-2007 that made the world "perpetually modern", to the point where anything post-2005 being nostalgic just feels dirty and wrong. ;D

I agree with this. But I'd still extend it back to 2004. :P

Wrath of Cortex had some really cool trance music, but I felt it lacked the "polish" of the PS1 games. The controls and physics felt a bit "floaty" compared to the Naughty Dog games, which were smooth as butter.

You've got a point there. It's definitely not as good as the ol' PS1 games but it definitely is a lot of fun and I wouldn't call it a horrible game at all.

Written By: Bobtheplaystationguy on 02/09/16 at 4:12 am

Like I said before, in 2007, it seemed "normal" for Gen Y college-aged kids to consider Pokemon a fond childhood memory. However, it's 2016, and I don't see anyone reminiscing on something like Angry Birds, even as late Yers/early Zers have turned college-aged. This is despite the gap between 2008 and now being the same amount as the time between Pokemania and 2007!

I agree with you about everything from the mid 2000's onwards seeming modern, but in my opinion pokemon and angry birds are not comparable. Pokemon was a big part of millions of peoples childhoods, including my own, whilst angry birds was just some crappy smartphone game that go so hyped up it pissed people off.

Written By: Bobtheplaystationguy on 02/09/16 at 6:07 am

If you compare the beginning of each decade in recent history to the end, regarding pop culture, politics etc, and the overall vibe, they are all very changeful and I'm not sure which I would pick as the most, but in my opinion the 1970's and the 2010's (I predict) are the least changeful.

Written By: ArcticFox on 02/09/16 at 7:56 am

I terms of technology, I guess. We went from game boys in 2000 to iPhones as powerful as Dreamcasts in 2009. We went from aol and aim dial-up Internet to video streaming and media downloading in 2009. We went from CRT TVs to enormous flatscreen high definition televisions. We went from massive CD players and boom boxes to teeny tiny iPod shuffles. Our PC operating systems were more advanced than ever before. The aughts provided a lot of changes.

In terms of popular culture, that's going to be a definite no. After 2001, you can see it slowly evolve throughout the rest of the decade. You can see the roots of 2008 media in 2002! Both the 1990s and the 2010s have seen much more rapid cultural changes, but at different paces.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/09/16 at 10:21 am

I terms of technology, I guess. We went from game boys in 2000 to iPhones as powerful as Dreamcasts in 2009. We went from aol and aim dial-up Internet to video streaming and media downloading in 2009. We went from CRT TVs to enormous flatscreen high definition televisions. We went from massive CD players and boom boxes to teeny tiny iPod shuffles. Our PC operating systems were more advanced than ever before. The aughts provided a lot of changes.

Does that compare to the changes in tech in the '90s though?  At the beginning of 1990, the original NES was the best gaming system that was offered.  By 1999, we had PlayStation, N64, and Dreamcast.

In 1990, a home computer was likely a 386SX at only 8 or 16 Mhz.  It usually had a 40 or 60 MB hard drive and ran on DOS.  Likely had no CD-ROM and used either 3.5" floppy or the old 5.25" floppy.  There was no Internet as we know it today.  In 1999 on the other hand, we had 1GHz computers, CD-ROM was commonplace, CD burners were starting to take off, most computers ran Windows 98, and the Internet was commonplace (dial-up) and broadband was in its early stages of adoption.

As far as music, in 1990 most people listened to vinyl or cassettes.  CDs were around in the '80s but it took some time for them to catch on.  In 1999, both formats had been completely replaced by CD and the MP3 was starting to become a menace to the music industry via Napster.

Written By: #Infinity on 02/09/16 at 10:33 am

Does that compare to the changes in tech in the '90s though?  At the beginning of 1990, the original NES was the best gaming system that was offered.  By 1999, we had PlayStation, N64, and Dreamcast.

To be fair, the Sega Genesis was already out in the United States by 1990, and the Super Famicom came out in Japan later that year; it's just that 1990 was basically the commercial peak of the NES because it was when Super Mario Bros. 3 came out.

As far as music, in 1990 most people listened to vinyl or cassettes.  CDs were around in the '80s but it took some time for them to catch on.  In 1999, both formats had been completely replaced by CD and the MP3 was starting to become a menace to the music industry via Napster.

Actually, CD's were already decently popular in 1990, though more people still used cassettes.  Almost nobody bought vinyls anymore in 1990, either; the format had been in decline since the beginning of the 1980s and finally became virtually nonexistent by decade's end.  Still, CD's and mp3's becoming far more popular than cassettes by 1999 is a pretty huge leap.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/09/16 at 11:30 am

To be fair, the Sega Genesis was already out in the United States by 1990, and the Super Famicom came out in Japan later that year; it's just that 1990 was basically the commercial peak of the NES because it was when Super Mario Bros. 3 came out.

My bad.  For some reason I thought Sega Genesis came out in 1991.  I remember that is when I first started seeing it a lot more at friends' houses.

Actually, CD's were already decently popular in 1990, though more people still used cassettes.  Almost nobody bought vinyls anymore in 1990, either; the format had been in decline since the beginning of the 1980s and finally became virtually nonexistent by decade's end.  Still, CD's and mp3's becoming far more popular than cassettes by 1999 is a pretty huge leap.

http://cdn.business2community.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/music-sales1.png.png

This is an interesting chart that shows the rise and fall of various music formats.  You are right, vinyl died about 1990.  But I do remember a lot of people still listening to vinyl in the early '90s, even if it was only stuff left over from the '80s and older decades.  Most people had not yet repurchased their vinyl collection on CD or cassette.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/09/16 at 11:49 am

In 1990, a home computer was likely a 386SX at only 8 or 16 Mhz.  It usually had a 40 or 60 MB hard drive and ran on DOS.  Likely had no CD-ROM and used either 3.5" floppy or the old 5.25" floppy.  There was no Internet as we know it today.  In 1999 on the other hand, we had 1GHz computers, CD-ROM was commonplace, CD burners were starting to take off, most computers ran Windows 98, and the Internet was commonplace (dial-up) and broadband was in its early stages of adoption.

Can't we just agree that both decades were rapid just for different things?

90's for tech, fashion, video games, & movies

00's for tech, television, & political events

Written By: bchris02 on 02/09/16 at 1:10 pm

Can't we just agree that both decades were rapid just for different things?

90's for tech, fashion, video games, & movies

00's for tech, television, & political events

One thing I will give you for the '00s is kid culture.  Things changed for '90s kids but not as rapidly as they did for '00s kids.

In 2000, most kids and even teenagers didn't have cell phones.  In 2009 elementary school students had them. Kids still played outside in 2000.  Online gaming consoles weren't a thing yet.  If you wanted to play video games with friends, you had them over and played split screen.  In 2009, they were glued to their Xboxes.    I can't comment on the cartoons during the latter two-thirds of the decade, but I know it started with Pokemon and Spongebob Squarepants and ended with Hannah Montana and Aqua Teen Hunger Force.  In 2000 Disney was coming out of its renaissance era and was still the dominant force in family-oriented feature films.  As the '00s progressed, Dreamworks overtook Disney.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/09/16 at 1:37 pm

One thing I will give you for the '00s is kid culture.  Things changed for '90s kids but not as rapidly as they did for '00s kids.

In 2000, most kids and even teenagers didn't have cell phones.  In 2009 elementary school students had them. Kids still played outside in 2000.  Online gaming consoles weren't a thing yet.  If you wanted to play video games with friends, you had them over and played split screen.  In 2009, they were glued to their Xboxes.    I can't comment on the cartoons during the latter two-thirds of the decade, but I know it started with Pokemon and Spongebob Squarepants and ended with Hannah Montana and Aqua Teen Hunger Force.  In 2000 Disney was coming out of its renaissance era and was still the dominant force in family-oriented feature films.  As the '00s progressed, Dreamworks overtook Disney.

Yeah 2000-2004 was basically just a continuation of the 1990's Golden Age when it came to kid centric culture like toys, trading cards, cartoons, etc., which was the tail end of Gen Y Kid Culture.

2005-2009 in contrast was a dark age in children's entertainment and was around when kids started to stay inside more often and technology started to take over our lives, aka the rise of Gen Z Kid Culture.

Written By: Zelek2 on 02/09/16 at 1:43 pm

2005-2009 in contrast was a dark age in children's entertainment and was around when kids started to stay inside more often and technology started to take over our lives, aka the rise of Gen Z Kid Culture.

I liked 2005 and the first 2/3rds of 2006

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/09/16 at 1:45 pm

YES!!
The kids culture from the first half of the decade still had the 90s Golden age cartoon and kid tv shows, toys, and games... The second half of the decade we entered a dark age for kid culture in general.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/09/16 at 1:58 pm

When it comes to Kid centric culture its almost as if there were 2 decades in one:

lhVR9LrdbMc

Notice the datedness (I'd argue retro) of many of the ads, the 80's/90's cars on the road, the very goofy 90's'esque advertisements, and the early 00's fashion trends

xTvr1HpKqWI

Notice how this looks very modern and recent even though this was in the same decade as the prior ad, commercials are using CGI & flash animation, skinny jeans among other late 00s/early 10's fashion trends are present, and the modern'esque ads

Though to be fair the first one was in the very start of the decade while the second was at the very end.

Written By: Zelek2 on 02/09/16 at 2:04 pm

Slightly unrelated, but is anyone here from Virginia? Do you remember watching the "Malcolm-Simpsons-Raymond-Friends Power Hour" on WZ-TV Fox, back around 2000-2005? Those were good times for me.

Written By: 2001 on 02/09/16 at 3:55 pm

It really is too early for early '10s nostalgia. You are right about some form of early 2000s nostalgia existing back in 2007/08 though. I remember on the forums I'd go on there was a lot of nostalgia for Pokemon, Digimon, Dragon Ball Z, N64, Sugar on YTV (Canada) etc. but they weren't nostalgic for the calendar years just yet. We we were still in the core of the Bush era and pretty much everyone saw the entirety of the 2000s as a lost decade despite key nostalgia items.

Written By: 2001 on 02/09/16 at 3:59 pm

As for technology, I'd say the 60s were the most rapid. Pretty much all the technology we use today is a consumer-friendly version of something that was invented in the 60s.

For any decade after the 60s, it really is a toss-up between the 90s and the 2010s (especially in software). Technology was feeling stagnant around the mid-2000s (2002 - 2005ish). The iPod was great but did not really change the way we live our lives. Although looking retrospectively, we had great improvements like YouTube and Wikipedia etc. I don't think these caught on until the late 2000s.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/09/16 at 3:59 pm

The 1960's probably is more rapid. I mean, look at 1960 and 1970. What a huge difference!

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/09/16 at 4:07 pm

There was a huge difference in the decade of the 1940s, especially after WW2.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/09/16 at 4:45 pm

As for technology, I'd say the 60s were the most rapid. Pretty much all the technology we use today is a consumer-friendly version of something that was invented in the 60s.

For any decade after the 60s, it really is a toss-up between the 90s and the 2010s (especially in software). Technology was feeling stagnant around the mid-2000s (2002 - 2005ish). The iPod was great but did not really change the way we live our lives. Although looking retrospectively, we had great improvements like YouTube and Wikipedia etc. I don't think these caught on until the late 2000s.

But... but... 2002 tech and 2005 tech felt a lot different! Windows 98, dial-up and discmans in one year, XP, iPods and broadband in the next!

Written By: 2001 on 02/09/16 at 5:03 pm

But... but... 2002 tech and 2005 tech felt a lot different! Windows 98, dial-up and discmans in one year, XP, iPods and broadband in the next!

I should say 2003-2005 is when it felt stagnant, possibly a bit of 2006 as well. 2002 is when the technology started getting adopted.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/09/16 at 5:08 pm

I should say 2003-2005 is when it felt stagnant, possibly a bit of 2006 as well. 2002 is when the technology started getting adopted.

Yeah, I can see that but I think that's only really for DVD (which still wasn't dominant over VHS until the next year). XP, the iPod and broadband were still felt pretty insignificant until 2003 at the earilest. (Yeah, Yeah, I know. Jordan's at it again!! ;D)

Written By: 2001 on 02/09/16 at 5:13 pm

Yeah, I can see that but I think that's only really for DVD (which still wasn't dominant over VHS until the next year). XP, the iPod and broadband were still felt pretty insignificant until 2003 at the earilest. (Yeah, Yeah, I know. Jordan's at it again!! ;D)

I think since Broadband and XP were already around, they weren't really anything special by 2003. iPod in 2004 felt new though.

Written By: 2001 on 02/09/16 at 5:17 pm

It's like how touchscreen smartphones overtook dumbphones in 2012, but by then they were already old news.

I also have a hard time counting YouTube as a technological improvement, since there were many other video-viewing websites at the time. Though I guess people who are more involved in YouTube communities, follow channels etc. might think otherwise.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/09/16 at 5:20 pm

I think since Broadband and XP were already around, they weren't really anything special by 2003. iPod in 2004 felt new though.

I can see your point. They weren't new things (Jesus, Broadband has been around since the mid 90's!!) but it's just that they finally caught on. It still felt like a big change from the dial-up and Windows 98 or 1998-2002, though. Didn't XP and the iPod came out the same year? They seem pretty similar to me. XP - starts off rough and is known to be venerable to viruses. In late 2003 SP1a is released; a huge improvement on the software and from there on XP really starts picking up. iPod - early release is only Mac compatible and doesn't really catch on. In 2004 a USB compatible version that works with the PC comes out and the iPod starts really catching on. This is coming from the dude who grew up in silicon valley, too. :P That area is supposed to be technologically focused and super advanced.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/09/16 at 5:22 pm

I think the early-mid 2000's were pretty changeful if you ask me. Lets use 2002 & 2006 as examples:

2002: Most people watched movies on VHS, DVD was starting to become a viable option to many people

2006: Most people watched movies on DVD, VHS was now borderline retro despite still being common a few years prior, and Blu Ray & HD DVD were now released to the public

2002: Most people played music on CDs, boomboxes, & discmans

2006: Most people played music on iPods or other Mp3s, boomboxes only used during family events

2002: Internet in the Web 1.0 Era, dial up is the standard, and all in all is not a necessity

2006: Internet in the Web 2.0 Era, broadband is the standard, and all in all is a necessity

2002: No modern social media, chatrooms at peak in popularity

2006: Social media sites like myspace, facebook & (to a lesser extent), twitter

2002: Most people used camcorders to record video and would later watch the recorded video on a tape

2006: Most people used digital cameras or webcams to record video and would later watch it on tv or upload it onto YouTube

2002: Cell Phones weren't a necessity, payphones and pagers were still common

2006: Cell Phones were a necessity, payphones and pagers were now extinct

2002: CRT TVs were the only way to watch television, Home Theaters were rare

2006: HD TVs were now starting to become a viable option for many people, Home Theaters were starting to become common

2002: Local/Split Screen Multiplayer Gaming was the standard

2006: Fast/Online Multiplayer Gaming was starting to become the standard

2002: If you were lost you would have to use a map, GPS systems were in their infancy

2006: If you were lost you could use a GPS system, maps weren't as dominant as they once were

Those are just a few examples I could think of

Written By: 2001 on 02/09/16 at 5:35 pm

I think the early-mid 2000's were pretty changeful if you ask me. Lets use 2002 & 2006 as examples:

2002: Most people watched movies on VHS, DVD was starting to become a viable option to many people

2006: Most people watched movies on DVD, VHS is now borderline retro despite still being common a few years prior, and Blu Ray & HD DVD were now released to the public

2002: Most people played music on CDs, boomboxes, & discmans

2006: Most people played music on iPods or other Mp3s, boomboxes only used during family events

2002: Internet in the Web 1.0 Era, dial up is the standard, and all in all is not a necessity

2006: Internet in the Web 2.0 Era, broadband is the standard, and all in all is a necessity

2002: No modern social media, chatrooms at peak in popularity

2006: Social media sites like myspace, facebook & (to a lesser extent), twitter

2002: Most people used camcorders to record video and would later watch the recorded video on a tape

2006: Most people used digital cameras or webcams to record video and would later watch it on tv or upload it onto YouTube

2002: Cell Phones weren't a necessity, payphones and pagers were still common

2006: Cell Phones were a necessity, payphones and pagers were now extinct

2002: CRT TVs were the only way to watch television, Home Theaters were rare

2006: HD TVs were now starting to become a viable option for many people, Home Theaters were starting to become common

2002: Local/Split Screen Multiplayer Gaming was the standard

2006: Fast/Online Multiplayer Gaming was starting to become the standard

2002: If you were lost you would have to use a map, GPS systems were in their infancy

2006: If you were lost you could use a GPS system, maps weren't as dominant as they once were

Those are just a few examples I could think of

DVD had existed for a while in 2002 so it wasn't exactly exciting technology, even then.

Web 2.0 sites were pretty common in 2002. Not dominant but it's not as if it wasn't there.

Well the social media thing depends on the country. In Canada MSN was dominant in 1999, 2002, 2006 and even 2008 :P I think even in the US, Myspace was dominated mostly by teenagers and children. I don't remember any adults raving about it.

I'll give you the camcorder one although my family bought a digital camera in 2003.

Most adults I knew had a cellphone in 2002. I don't think I ever saw a pager.

I feel HDTVs only got popular towards the very end of 2006. 2006 is still a CRT TV year.

Xbox 360 sold poorly in 2005/most of 2006. Online gaming on PC was pretty popular in both 2002 and 2006.

GPSes were very expensive in 2006.

Written By: Brian06 on 02/09/16 at 5:37 pm

DVD had existed for a while in 2002 so it wasn't exactly exciting technology, even then.

Web 2.0 sites were pretty common in 2002.

Well the social media thing depends on the country. In Canada MSN was dominant in 1999, 2002, 2006 and even 2008 :P I think even in the US, Myspace was dominated mostly by teenagers and children. I don't remember any adults raving about it.

I'll give you the camcorder one although my family bought a digital camera in 2003.

I feel HDTVs only got popular towards the very end of 2006. 2006 is still a CRT TV year.

Xbox 360 sold poorly in 2005/most of 2006. Online gaming on PC was pretty popular in both 2002 and 2006.

GPSes were very expensive in 2006.

There were CRT HDTVs in the early-mid 00s actually, they're not necessarily separate things. Most early HDTVs (late '90s early '00s) used CRT technology actually. They weren't that useful though since there were few HD broadcasts then. In fact the biggest benefit of an HDTV back then is it was capable of displaying DVDs (480p resolution) in "progressive scan" as opposed to interlaced which most things were back then so DVDs looked a little better.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/09/16 at 5:41 pm

2002 - Windows 98 is more common to find in people's homes and still available in stores. XP is known to not be that great has yet to obtain it's good reputation.

2006 - XP is in almost every home.

2002 - Computers are big and bulky (and usually white). Slim and sleek designs have existed since 1997 but still haven't really caught on yet.

2006 - All computers look slim and sleek. The bulky white PC's are pretty much non-existent.

2002 - Cassette tapes aren't as popular as the CD but you can still buy new releases in stores and nobody would give you funny looks for using them in public.

2006 - Using both a CD or cassette player in public will get you a ton of funny looks as most people have adapted to the iPod or an mp3 player. 

Web 2.0 sites were pretty common in 2002. Not dominant but it's not as if it wasn't there.

Couldn't you say the same thing about 1999? Even before that with blogs and all that stuff. I remember blogging being big in 1997 (we didn't call it blogging until 1999-ish, though).

In my experience, I saw both pagers and cell phones in 2002. Cell Phones went though a lot of changes around 2003-ish, too. There wasn't really a teenage cell phone culture before then.

MSN is pretty much the same thing as AOL Messenger, though. :P And that was a lot more popular than MSN in my experience from 1998-2003. Was MSN really more popular than AOL in Canada? My uncle had AOL back then and he lives in Canada. Oh yeah, people also had Yahoo! Messenger! That was a big thing, too.

Written By: Howard on 02/09/16 at 5:43 pm

It's like how touchscreen smartphones overtook dumbphones in 2012, but by then they were already old news.

I also have a hard time counting YouTube as a technological improvement, since there were many other video-viewing websites at the time. Though I guess people who are more involved in YouTube communities, follow channels etc. might think otherwise.

There was also Dailymotion.

Written By: Brian06 on 02/09/16 at 5:46 pm

2002 - Windows 98 is more common to find in people's homes and still available in stores. XP is known to not be that great has yet to obtain it's good reputation.

2002 - Computers are big and bulky (and usually white). Slim and sleek designs have existed since 1997 but still haven't really caught on yet.

2006 - All computers look slim and sleek. The bulky white PC's are pretty much non-existent.

2002 - Cassette tapes aren't as popular as the CD but you can still buy new releases in stores and nobody would give you funny looks for using them in public.

2006 - Using both a CD or cassette player in public will get you a ton of funny looks as most people have adapted to the iPod or an mp3 player. 

Couldn't you say the same thing about 1999? Even before that with blogs and all that stuff. I remember blogging being big in 1997 (we didn't call it blogging until 1999-ish, though).

In my experience, I saw both pagers and cell phones in 2002. Cell Phones went though a lot of changes around 2003-ish, too. There wasn't really a teenage cell phone culture before then.

MSN is pretty much the same thing as AOL Messenger, though. :P And that was a lot more popular than MSN in my experience from 1998-2003. Was MSN really more popular than AOL in Canada? My uncle had AOL back then and he lives in Canada.

Yeah pagers did still exist in the early '00s. I actually had a pager for a short bit during the end of their time probably around 2001 or so. A lot of music videos from 2002 have pagers in them too.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/09/16 at 5:50 pm

Yeah pagers did still exist in the early '00s. I actually had a pager for a short bit during the end of their time probably around 2001 or so. A lot of music videos from 2002 have pagers in them too.

I knew quite a bit of people who still used pagers back then, too. 2003 is the absolute last year I saw pagers being common with people, even younger 20-something business types in the area. I even knew people with both cell phones and pagers, too, like my dad. I think around 2004, when cell phone design got a lot more convenient, people started ditching the pagers and going cell phone only. Less Nokia phones after that, too.

Written By: 2001 on 02/09/16 at 5:52 pm

MSN is pretty much the same thing AOL Messenger, though. :P And that was a lot more popular than MSN in my experience from 1998-2003.

You see, while those technologies weren't fully adopted yet, it's not as if they were fresh and new by the time 2003 hit  ;D They were old hat news. I saw Web 2.0, flatscreen PCs, DVDs, digital music/MP3s (Kazaa) all in 2002. By 2003 they felt like they've already been there for a while.

I've never seen a pager in my life  :P

There were more Web 2.0 sites in 2002 than 1999. It was a gradual transition.

Also, while I'm aware that dial-up didn't overtake Broadband until 2004, wouldn't those dial-up numbers be heavily inflated by rural areas? I wonder what the rate of adoption for Broadband was for urban areas in 2002.

AOL was never popular in Canada, so I can't really speak for the US on that one.

Written By: 2001 on 02/09/16 at 5:53 pm

There was also Dailymotion.

Yeah I remember that being popular because they didn't have the 10 minute limit.

Written By: Howard on 02/09/16 at 5:57 pm

I've never seen a pager in my life

Why Not?

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/09/16 at 5:59 pm

You see, while those technologies weren't fully adopted yet, it's not as if they were fresh and new by the time 2003 hit  ;D They were old hat news. I saw Web 2.0, flatscreen PCs, DVDs, digital music/MP3s (Kazaa) all in 2002. By 2003 they felt like they've already been there for a while.

I saw all those things in 1997-1999. :P :P I'd been downloading mp3s since I got a PC in late 1996, web 2.0 was still there with things like blogging, and I saw one or two flat screen PC's.

I've never seen a pager in my life  :P

Really? :o I used to see them all the time!

There were more Web 2.0 sites in 2002 than 1999. It was a gradual transition.

Fair enough but Web 2.0 pages existed in both 1999 and 2002 and Web 1.0 was more common in both years.

Also, while I'm aware that dial-up didn't overtake Broadband until 2004, wouldn't those dial-up numbers be heavily inflated by rural areas? I wonder what the rate of adoption for Broadband was for urban areas in 2002.

I can only speak for the Bay Area, where it's supposed to be super high tech (:D :D), and most people had dial-up until 2003-2004. Same with XP. 2003-2004. I knew a dude who (I think? My memory might be off) had broadband around 1997 or 1998, though.

AOL was never popular in Canada, so I can't really speak for the US on that one.

No kidding! I thought everyone had AOL back then! I guess my uncle's an exception. Did you guys use Yahoo! Messenger at all, though?

Written By: 2001 on 02/09/16 at 6:00 pm

Why Not?

I'm not sure. Everyone's saying they were common in the early 2000s, so maybe I just forget seeing them.

My dad got his cellphone in 1999. I kept calling him on it and he got angry because it was still super expensive to call on it. I think my mom bought one a few years later. Other than that, I remember my teachers' cellphones going off in class a lot of times.

Written By: 2001 on 02/09/16 at 6:04 pm

I saw all those things in 1997-1999. :P :P I'd been downloading mp3s since I got a PC in late 1996, web 2.0 was still there with things like blogging, and I saw one or two flat screen PC's.

Really? :o I used to see them all the time!

Fair enough but Web 2.0 pages existed in both 1999 and 2002 and Web 1.0 was more common in both years.

I can only speak for the Bay Area, where it's supposed to be super high tech (:D :D), and most people had dial-up until 2003-2004. Same with XP. 2003-2004. I knew a dude who (I think? My memory might be off) had broadband around 1997 or 1998, though.

No kidding! I thought everyone had AOL back then! I guess my uncle's an exception. Did you guys use Yahoo! Messenger at all, though?

So did it ever feel cool and exciting to you when it became more commonplace in 2003?  :P

I remember some people used Yahoo! for the chatrooms. It was mostly MSN though. Even my friends who didn't have Internet made an MSN account during computer class so they could be hip.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/09/16 at 6:08 pm

So did it ever feel cool and exciting to you when it became more commonplace in 2003?  :P

It felt... uhh... ~fresh I guess but not really cool or exciting. Warped Tour 2005 made me miss the dial-up/98 days more than anything, though. I never got an iPod, however. The Discman is what I use.

I remember some people used Yahoo! for the chatrooms. It was mostly MSN though. Even my friends who didn't have Internet made an MSN account during computer class so they could be hip.

At least you guys used it! ;D ;D Yahoo! is a true Y2K chatroom because it's heyday is 1998-2003 but I do remember MSN being quite popular, too.

The kings of Messaging in the late 90's and early 00's:

- AOL
- MSN
- Yahoo!

Written By: 2001 on 02/09/16 at 6:22 pm

It felt... uhh... ~fresh I guess but not really cool or exciting. Warped Tour 2005 made me miss the dial-up/98 days more than anything, though. I never got an iPod, however. The Discman is what I use.

At least you guys used it! ;D ;D Yahoo! is a true Y2K chatroom because it's heyday is 1998-2003 but I do remember MSN being quite popular, too.

- AOL
- MSN
- Yahoo!

Yeah I remember the Yahoo chatrooms, you could select your own font size and there were those crazy people typing in 72 size font  :o My cousin was a stud, he'd be hitting on 5 girls at the same time.

Yahoo had the best emoticons, like the Madonna one.  ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/09/16 at 6:28 pm

Yeah 2000-2004 was basically just a continuation of the 1990's Golden Age when it came to kid centric culture like toys, trading card, cartoons, etc., which was the tail end of Gen Y Kid Culture.

I'm curious to think on why children's entertainment was in a dark age during the mid-late '00s? Clearly, it wasn't as awful as what the early-mid 2010s have nowadays, although CN and Disney seems good at the moment.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/09/16 at 6:30 pm

Yeah I remember the Yahoo chatrooms, you could select your own font size and there were those crazy people typing in 72 size font  :o My cousin was a stud, he'd be hitting on 5 girls at the same time.

Yahoo had the best emoticons, like the Madonna one.  ;D

By time I got Yahoo, I was already seeing the woman who I would soon go onto marry so hitting on other women was not something I planned to do (yes, we've been seeing each other for a long, long time) but if I was single then I'd probably get a lot of comments saying "Jordan, you suck!" "No I don't want to eat burritos and listen to Sum 41" "Did you just say Home Grown!? Pig! I don't know what that is but I'm sure you're being a pig!" I remember the font sizes, too! I used to go on and be a proto-troll (if you will ;D). Man, I loved getting a rise out of people for simply saying "Limp Bizkit are like NSYNC but for people with sh!ttier taste" and I'd get (high brow) replies like "omg u r ghey lol i will fite u. come on sucka fite me". A barrel of laughs! I should look up the old Yahoo! emotions to see what they used to have.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/09/16 at 6:45 pm

Yeah I remember that being popular because they didn't have the 10 minute limit.
Do you guys also remember Google Video?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/09/16 at 6:48 pm

I remember Google Video being a standard player for videos on Google back in the 2000s.

Written By: 2001 on 02/09/16 at 6:53 pm

By time I got Yahoo, I was already seeing the woman who I would soon go onto marry so hitting on other women was not something I planned to do (yes, we've been seeing each other for a long, long time) but if I was single then I'd probably get a lot of comments saying "Jordan, you suck!" "No I don't want to eat burritos and listen to Sum 41" "Did you just say Home Grown!? Pig! I don't know what that is but I'm sure you're being a pig!" I remember the font sizes, too! I used to go on and be a proto-troll (if you will ;D). Man, I loved getting a rise out of people for simply saying "Limp Bizkit are like NSYNC but for people with sh!ttier taste" and I'd get (high brow) replies like "omg u r ghey lol i will fite u. come on sucka fite me". A barrel of laughs! I should look up the old Yahoo! emotions to see what they used to have.

LOL you were awful even back then  ;D And now you troll kids on YouTube  :P

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/09/16 at 6:58 pm

lol, you like a band made for girls.  ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/09/16 at 7:03 pm

LOL you were awful even back then  ;D And now you troll kids on YouTube  :P

It was for a good cause! The over abundance of Fred Dursts was a global dilemma and I was only doing my part to put an end to it. And back then, another huge global concern was Nu Metal guys stealing peoples girlfriends (I'm sure you've seen the lyrics I posted in the other page. If not, I shall post them again if you'd like!) so I had to make sure everyone was spared the heartbreak. Nowadays, I go on YouTube and educate the children on society's downfall (2003 to present) and how 2004-2006 was not good like 2000-2002 was (but they insist!). Kids are stubborn and they never listen!

lol, you like a band made for girls.  ;D

I do!? ???

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/09/16 at 7:13 pm

I do!? ???

You said that you liked NSYNC.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/09/16 at 7:20 pm

You said that you liked NSYNC.

Oh, no! :o

In the late 90's/early 00's I'd proto-troll the Yahoo! message board by saying that Limp Bizkit is like NSYNC but a lot sh!ttier. Not that I actually like them. I think they're both equally as bad.

Written By: 2001 on 02/09/16 at 7:29 pm

I think so. They hosted videos but it was also a search engine for other videos as well, right?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/09/16 at 7:35 pm

Oh, no! :o

In the late 90's/early 00's I'd proto-troll the Yahoo! message board by saying that Limp Bizkit is like NSYNC but a lot sh!ttier. Not that I actually like them. I think they're both equally as bad.

Oh. I thought you liked them simply because they were from the early 2000s. But I get you, man.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/09/16 at 7:46 pm

I think so. They hosted videos but it was also a search engine for other videos as well, right?
Yeah, I recall not only seeing YouTube videos, but even Dailymotion, Metacafe and Megavideo on there as well.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/09/16 at 7:53 pm

Yeah, I recall not only seeing YouTube videos, but even Dailymotion, Metacafe and Megavideo on there as well.

I remember megavideo and megaupload like yesterday, where you could download all those pirate videos and other stuff. I remember when it got shutdown too.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/09/16 at 8:00 pm

I remember megavideo and megaupload like yesterday, where you could download all those pirate videos and other stuff. I remember when it got shutdown too.
Same here. I went on them one day and the page couldn't be found. I was like "Wow! They got shutdown?"

Written By: Howard on 02/10/16 at 3:29 pm

- AOL
- MSN
- Yahoo!

Those were the days.

Written By: Toon on 02/10/16 at 4:01 pm

Them good ol' days where I'd use Megaupload to got almost anything. I was surprised to see the page get shutdown.

Written By: 2001 on 02/10/16 at 4:02 pm

Them good ol' days where I'd use Megaupload to got almost anything. I was surprised to see the page get shutdown.

Rememeber when they got like a whole army (SWAT) to take down Kim Dotcom :o It was serious business.

Written By: Toon on 02/10/16 at 4:07 pm

Rememeber when they got like a whole army (SWAT) to take down Kim Dotcom :o It was serious business.

Wow was that a crazy event. So many people were upset about Megaupload being shutdown. I know I was as it was my #1 place to get things. But to have a SWAT team sent to Kim Dotcom is when you know things are getting serious.  :-\\

Written By: muppethammer26 on 02/10/16 at 7:09 pm

Wow was that a crazy event. So many people were upset about Megaupload being shutdown. I know I was as it was my #1 place to get things. But to have a SWAT team sent to Kim Dotcom is when you know things are getting serious.  :-\\

It's quite funny when they sent a big SWAT team to Kim Dotcom's house, even though Kim Dotcom himself was harmless.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/12/16 at 12:15 am

Nope, that title goes to the 90s. Mainly because of the breakthrough of the Internet.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/12/16 at 2:46 pm

Nope, that title goes to the 90s. Mainly because of the breakthrough of the Internet.

I look at it like this:

In the 1950's, the television was the newest piece of technology that changed the world on how we got our news, sports, & entertainment

In the 1960's, the continued success of television with the first Televisied Presidential debate in 1960, the launch of classics like Gilligan's Island & The Adam's Family, and the breakthrough of color television, made the TV a necessity

In the 1990's, the Internet was the newest piece of technology that changed the world on how we got our news, sports, & entertainment

In the 2000's, the continued success of the internet with the acceptance of Broadband over dial up, the launch of modern day social media sites like facebook & the video sharing site YouTube, and the first modern day/accessible smartphone being the iPhone, made the internet a necessity

Both decades in both categories were truly transformative in the realm of technology, with the first decade introducing the tech and the second one helping supplant in every day culture. That's why I think the 1990's & 2000's were both transformative. Now its up to what decade you think was more transformative, that is entirely up to debate.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/12/16 at 9:19 pm

Example: I can probably imagine a game like Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex becoming retro in a few years (if it isn't already), but I can NEVER imagine a game like Crash of the Titans being retro, despite that only coming out 6 years later.

The 1960's will always be the most changeful decade from a cultural standpoint (with the '70s following as a close second), but I agree with you about the 2000's when it comes to technology.

The gap from 2000 to 2009 from a tech standpoint is actually kind of staggering if you think about it. In 2000, the average person still went to Blockbuster to rent movies, but by 2010 the average person could "rent" movies while sitting on their living room sofa; in 2000, slow dial-up connection still ruled and what few videos existed on the internet were largely unwatchable to most people, but by 2010 millions of music videos, TV shows and movies were available on YouTube; in 2000, most of us still had to stand in line at the music store to buy CD's, but by 2010 we could listen to our entire music collections on our cell phones. And that's all without mentioning the proliferation of smartphones, and even early tablets by 2010, none of which were anywhere on the map back in 2000.

Now, that's not to say that the '90s was also not a massively changeful decade (in particular due to the introduction of the internet to the mass public) because it obviously was. To me, the difference is that, in the '90s, we merely discovered the internet for the first time, whereas over the course of the '00s, the internet literally began to change the way the average person lived their life.

Check for new replies or respond here...