inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Summer of 2003: What Was Hot?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/12/16 at 9:25 pm

I was in the process of cleaning out my closet over the weekend when I came across a clump of my old magazines. Just for reference, I was a big fan of Blender Magazine (a '90s/'00s music magazine that went out of print in 2009) back in the day, and have quite a few back issues from the 2001-2004 time period. Anyways, as I was rifling through some of my old issues, I found this:

http://ideagrove.com/uploaded_images/blender02-786613.jpg

This was Blender's "Hot 100" issue from July 2003, which counted down the most popular music, entertainment, technology, etc. during the Summer of '03. I saw this was a great time capsule, and a real snapshot of one of my favorite years of the '00s, so I thought I'd duplicate it here and see how accurate it looks in hindsight.

(Note: Even I don't have enough free time to type out all hundred items on the list, so I'll just stick to the most notable ones)

100) The Libertines (British Garage Rock group)
98) Jay-Z
92) "TRL" Punk Rock (Good Charlotte, The Ataris)
90) Fanny Pack (British girl Hip-Hop group)
85) Von Dutch Trucker Hats
84) Screamo (The Blood Brothers, Taking Back Sunday)
83) Robbie Williams (British Pop star)
76) Damon Dash
75) Mandy Moore
68) Video Game Soundtracks (GTA: Vice City, NBA Live 2003)
66) The Darkness (British Rock group)
65) Avril Lavigne Copycats (Skye Sweetnam, Katy Rose)
63) Southern Rock Revival (Drive-By Truckers, Kings of Leon)
62) T-Mobile Sidekick
57) Kanye West and Just Blaze
56) Fountains of Wayne
55) P. Diddy
52) Pepsi Smash (WB Network music program)
46) Jewel
42) Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey
41) Kelly Osbourne
37) Mainstream Christian Rock (Evanescence, Chevelle, Creed)
36) Junior Senior (Danish Pop group)
34) DVD/CD hybrids
32) John Mayer
31) Dashboard Confessional
30) Joe Budden
29) The Yeah Yeah Yeahs
24) Pharrell Williams
23) Punk'd
22) Bubba Sparxxx
20) Jennifer Lopez
19) Staind
18) Justin Timberlake
17) Pink
16) The Strokes
15) Fred Durst
13) Mya
12) Eminem
11) Gwen Stefani

And now, the top 10 hottest things from Summer 2003 according to Blender...

10) R. Kelly
09) The Dixie Chicks
08) Led Zeppelin (Release of the "Led Zeppelin DVD" concert series)
07) Britney Spears
06) Radiohead
05) The White Stripes
04) 50 Cent
03) American Idol
02) iTunes Music Store
01) Beyonce (As you probably could've guessed ;D)

Subject: Re: The Summer of 2003: What Was Hot?

Written By: mqg96 on 02/12/16 at 9:37 pm

http://scoopempire.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/fan.gif

Written By: mqg96 on 02/12/16 at 10:24 pm

Here's some music I remember my parents or other family members playing a lot throughout Summer 2003. Usually at family gatherings. Some of these songs I heard at stores or restaurants at the time as well.

5qm8PH4xAss ysT7NQHC0wc

SPlQpGeTbIE ViwtNLUqkMY

TBGUFzGnsII lt6PVVr4B04

Written By: 2001 on 02/12/16 at 10:50 pm

I visited my aunt in Manchester, England that year. I had a lot of fun :)

I watched Freaky Friday, I love that movie.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/12/16 at 11:17 pm

Here's some movies that I was hooked into big time during that summer. I know a few of these I post here I'd consider as really cheesy or bad now, but at the time I was that young you know I didn't give af.

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/disney/images/b/ba/Finding_Nemo-_2003.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130420022756 http://www.gstatic.com/tv/thumb/dvdboxart/32386/p32386_d_v8_aa.jpg http://www.gstatic.com/tv/thumb/movieposters/32093/p32093_p_v8_aa.jpg http://onlinefilm.co/uploads/film/2015/04/2-fast-2-furious-izle-561.jpg http://www.gstatic.com/tv/thumb/movieposters/31349/p31349_p_v8_af.jpg http://www.gstatic.com/tv/thumb/dvdboxart/32185/p32185_d_v8_aa.jpg http://www.gstatic.com/tv/thumb/movieposters/31889/p31889_p_v8_ac.jpg

Written By: 2001 on 02/12/16 at 11:23 pm

Man, I loved all of those movies! Especially Finding Nemo of course :) P. Sherman 42 Wallaby Way Sydney. P. Sherman 42 Wallaby Way Sydney. P. Sherman 42 Wallaby Way Sydney.

Written By: 2001 on 02/12/16 at 11:26 pm

They're coming out with a sequel right? Finding Dorry. If it's any good it will redeem the whole year ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/12/16 at 11:28 pm

Why the hell would anybody call Taking Back Sunday screamo? Out of the big bands of the time (The Used, Thursday, Poison the Well, Glassjaw) Taking Back Sunday had the least amount of screaming! At least all those bands are real Emo, unlike the First to Last and Aiden crap of the Myspace era. 8-P 8-P 8-P

Also, calling The Ataris and Good Charlotte "TRL Punk" does not still well with me! Who was the editor? I have to give him a stern talking to.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/12/16 at 11:34 pm

Man, I loved all of those movies! Especially Finding Nemo of course :) P. Sherman 42 Wallaby Way Sydney. P. Sherman 42 Wallaby Way Sydney. P. Sherman 42 Wallaby Way Sydney.

Two thousand three was just too much for mee!  ;D

Two thousand three was way too Xtreme!

there was so much more to explore that kept ya from being bored!

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/13/16 at 4:10 am

Sizzling temperatures break UK record in 2003.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3138865.stm

Written By: SpyroKev on 02/13/16 at 10:12 am

Here's some music I remember my parents or other family members playing a lot throughout Summer 2003. Usually at family gatherings. Some of these songs I heard at stores or restaurants at the time as well.

I thought Move Your Feet came out in 2004. That's when I first seen the music video. And White Chicks made it seem as if the song was just released.

Written By: aja675 on 03/09/16 at 9:11 am

5qm8PH4xAss ysT7NQHC0wc

SPlQpGeTbIE ViwtNLUqkMY

TBGUFzGnsII lt6PVVr4B04
For some reason, I never really heard Lumidee's song when I was a kid.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/25/16 at 7:32 pm

Oh I had to "push bump" this thread. Sorry for the dick move.  8)

1BjkPbJc67U lkVYphRy2hY  QwOEVwaxYSo

OMOStyrsfc0  nAqhvTnqvSQ pSM9ImsQlhQ

P4NJqj3TJV4 -uEtgEMga34 0s-DI3a7xcU

Akvrjpf1bQA JzUeddOOv7k vEGopAH-ZFM

Written By: Zelek2 on 03/25/16 at 8:54 pm

Watching all those commercials, I'm curious: were people on this board getting nostalgic for 2003 back in 2006? Like, were they saying "Ahh, remember when Hey Arnold, dial-up Internet, Pokemon with Misty, and Surge were all still around? I miss the good ol' days of 3 years ago."

Nobody could probably put it into perspective at the time, but those years feel like a million years apart in retrospect. You can also see this in superhero movies; 2003-04 movies like "Daredevil" and "Catwoman" had goofier, campier, wholly different tones from gritty 2005-06 movies like "Batman Begins".

Written By: Ripley on 03/25/16 at 9:11 pm

The year I graduated. Great movies!

Written By: 2001 on 03/26/16 at 1:17 am

The Hillary Duff song reminded me, it was the summer when the Lizzie McGuire movie came out on VHS.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c7/TheLizziemcguiremovie.jpg

Decent movie, though you probably need to watch the show first to appreciate it.

Written By: Toon on 03/26/16 at 3:11 am

That Hot Summer of '03 had me like
https://media.giphy.com/media/4bWWKmUnn5E4/giphy.gif

Was an enjoyable year.

Written By: Toon on 03/26/16 at 3:16 am

Oh I had to "push bump" this thread. Sorry for the dick move.  8)

1BjkPbJc67U lkVYphRy2hY  QwOEVwaxYSo

OMOStyrsfc0  nAqhvTnqvSQ pSM9ImsQlhQ

P4NJqj3TJV4 -uEtgEMga34 0s-DI3a7xcU

Akvrjpf1bQA JzUeddOOv7k vEGopAH-ZFM

From these commercials I'm getting a lot of xtreme, goofy, colorful vibes. You, Jordan, and EMAN are gonna kill me with nostalgia. Summer of 2003 was one of my most favorite times.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/26/16 at 3:24 am

That Hot Summer of '03 had me like
https://media.giphy.com/media/4bWWKmUnn5E4/giphy.gif

Was an enjoyable year.

So much sweat.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/26/16 at 3:26 am

I'm not a Beyoncé fan, but her first album was very fun pop.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/26/16 at 4:39 am

From these commercials I'm getting a lot of xtreme, goofy, colorful vibes. You, Jordan, and EMAN are gonna kill me with nostalgia. Summer of 2003 was one of my most favorite times.

I got a bunch more sh!ts from the early 00's that'll make you super nostalgic, Toon. 8) Though, only a small portion is from 2003 as I focus mostly on 2000/2001/2002.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/26/16 at 5:15 am

Family Guy started to rise in popularity. I think it even rose early in the year already.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/26/16 at 10:13 am

Unlike the summers of 2002 or 2004, throughout summer 2003 my family & I didn't go on vacations, didn't have any major family events, and we stayed in town the whole time. So I spent my summer of '03 in the house a lot playing with my toys, watching a lot of TV, playing my GameCube, or playing outside in the playground. The kid culture was gold at the time.

Written By: 2001 on 03/26/16 at 11:24 am

Dragon Ball Z ended.  :\'(

Written By: mqg96 on 03/26/16 at 11:45 am

Dragon Ball Z ended.  :\'(

Technically it did, but it wasn't replaced by DBGT until late 2003 or early 2004. Reruns of DBZ were still on TV throughout all of 2003 so I didn't care. Besides, as a kid watching anime (which I wasn't the biggest fan of), I didn't understand the saga or chronological story, I just cared about watching random episodes of the characters fighting and using their powers. The same goes for other action shows like Justice League or Samurai Jack, I was hyped to see the action, but the story-line or jokes I didn't care about.

I believe half of the people hated DBGT because it wasn't until they started getting on the internet and noticing the hate for the show as a popular opinion by the majority of internet users therefore they started joining the crowd, while the other half of the people hated DBGT because they fully understood and comprehended the story & changes, so they had a valid reason for hating it. I'm pretty sure if you were still in your peak childhood you wouldn't care if it was the original DB, DBZ, or DBGT. I liked all of those, but looking back DBZ was the best of all. Since you're older than me you probably understood what was going on better than I did. In 2005 DBZ returned to CN uncensored, which was even more epic.

Since you brought this conversation up, I'll say that 2003 was probably the absolute best year for action and anime cartoons on CN. It was a fully balanced lineup of comic book (DC/Marvel) cartoons, American action cartoons, and Japanese anime cartoons whether it was kiddy or mature. TOM 3 debuted with the last year of Toonami on weekdays, including SVES with Saturday night long action which aired throughout the whole year.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/26/16 at 1:25 pm

Didn't crunk become popular?

Written By: 2001 on 03/26/16 at 2:01 pm

Technically it did, but it wasn't replaced by DBGT until late 2003 or early 2004. Reruns of DBZ were still on TV throughout all of 2003 so I didn't care. Besides, as a kid watching anime (which I wasn't the biggest fan of), I didn't understand the saga or chronological story, I just cared about watching random episodes of the characters fighting and using their powers. The same goes for other action shows like Justice League or Samurai Jack, I was hyped to see the action, but the story-line or jokes I didn't care about.

I believe half of the people hated DBGT because it wasn't until they started getting on the internet and noticing the hate for the show as a popular opinion by the majority of internet users therefore they started joining the crowd, while the other half of the people hated DBGT because they fully understood and comprehended the story & changes, so they had a valid reason for hating it. I'm pretty sure if you were still in your peak childhood you wouldn't care if it was the original DB, DBZ, or DBGT. I liked all of those, but looking back DBZ was the best of all. Since you're older than me you probably understood what was going on better than I did. In 2005 DBZ returned to CN uncensored, which was even more epic.

Since you brought this conversation up, I'll say that 2003 was probably the absolute best year for action and anime cartoons on CN. It was a fully balanced lineup of comic book (DC/Marvel) cartoons, American action cartoons, and Japanese anime cartoons whether it was kiddy or mature. TOM 3 debuted with the last year of Toonami on weekdays, including SVES with Saturday night long action which aired throughout the whole year.

DBGT aired sometime in 2003 in Canada, I think it was May or June, I remember it being toward the end of Grade 5, or it might have been September. I was also hyped for the mythical "Dragon Ball AF". When you'd search that on Kazaa you'd get super cool Japanese clips of the latter episodes of GT, and the subtitles would tell you how that's Super Saiyan 5 or Super Saiyan 6 LOL

They used the Japanese theme song in the Canadian dub of GT (but with English text) for a few weeks, which is the only thing I like about the show ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJcuDgVYjgII

I hated it because 1) it had far less action than DBZ, 2) Goku was a kid again. 3) Pam was pathetic. 4) Did I mention it had far less action? It was just boring watching it.

If I was influenced by social opinion, then it was offline hate rather than online. That's one of the things I also missed. When DBZ was airing, I'd always go down to my cousin's house to watch it with them, or they'd come over to mine, and we'd get other kids fom the neighbourhood as well. The hype for each new episode was always huge, and the way they would build up hype for each episode, it was the greatest. By the time DBGT had aired, the hype was still there for the first few episodes, but after that everyone had just moved on.

Written By: Ripley on 03/26/16 at 2:02 pm

Yeah "Get Low" was really popular that year. Even though it had started long before. But 2003-2005 really.

Lil Jon & The East Side Boyz F. Ying Yang Twins "Get Low"
IYH7_GzP4Tg

Some other hits that summer:

Chingy "Right Thurr"
kIY263HxL_M

Ludacris "Act A Fool" TA7gnSyuIik

Black Eyed Peas "Where Is The Love?"
WpYeekQkAdc

Written By: 80sfan on 03/26/16 at 2:07 pm

Yeah "Get Low" was really popular that year. Even though it had started long before. But 2003-2005 really.

Lil Jon & The East Side Boyz F. Ying Yang Twins "Get Low"
IYH7_GzP4Tg

Some other hits that summer:

Chingy "Right Thurr"
kIY263HxL_M

Ludacris "Act A Fool" TA7gnSyuIik

Black Eyed Peas "Where Is The Love?"
WpYeekQkAdc

I remember by 2006, crunk wasn't popular anymore.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/26/16 at 2:34 pm

If I was influenced by social opinion, then it was offline hate rather than online. That's one of the things I also missed. When DBZ was airing, I'd always go down to my cousin's house to watch it with them, or they'd come over to mine, and we'd get other kids fom the neighbourhood as well. The hype for each new episode was always huge, and the way they would build up hype for each episode, it was the greatest. By the time DBGT had aired, the hype was still there for the first few episodes, but after that everyone had just moved on.

Here was the intro to the uncut version of DBZ that aired CN (Toonami) in 2005. It was always on Saturday nights and I loved it.

TuFd5a_XLhc

Unfortunately it was short lived, since it was off the lineup by 2006. After all, the original DBZ from 1998-2003 was edited. 

Written By: 2001 on 03/26/16 at 2:45 pm

Damn, that's super cool! The original theme song was very lame. What's the difference between the uncut and the original though? Is it going to show Bulma's undies? 8-P ;D

Written By: 2001 on 03/26/16 at 2:50 pm

Why the hell would anybody call Taking Back Sunday screamo? Out of the big bands of the time (The Used, Thursday, Poison the Well, Glassjaw) Taking Back Sunday had the least amount of screaming! At least all those bands are real Emo, unlike the First to Last and Aiden crap of the Myspace era. 8-P 8-P 8-P

Also, calling The Ataris and Good Charlotte "TRL Punk" does not still well with me! Who was the editor? I have to give him a stern talking to.

Late 2000s Taking Back Sunday was awesome. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ldjbjwim4k

Written By: mqg96 on 03/26/16 at 2:55 pm

Damn, that's super cool! The original theme song was very lame. What's the difference between the uncut and the original though? Is it going to show Bulma's undies? 8-P ;D

Nope, they just reran the original 1998-2003 episodes and uncensored it. Even all the violence and cuss language were shown on there too. It was the last show on CN (Toonami) at 10:30pm E.T. before came on at 11pm.

Written By: Zelek2 on 03/26/16 at 2:59 pm

I've asked this before, but was anyone getting nostalgic for 2003 back in 2006? Like, could anyone realize how much had changed drastically between those years at the time?

Did anyone say "Man, I miss the time when Hey arnold, Surge, Pokemon episodes with Misty, and dial-up Internet were still around. Ahh, the good ol' days of three years ago."? ;D

Written By: 2001 on 03/26/16 at 3:02 pm

I've asked this before, but was anyone getting nostalgic for 2003 back in 2006? Like, could anyone realize how much had changed drastically between those years at the time? Did anyone say "man, I miss the good ol' days when Hey arnold, Surge, Pokemon episodes with Misty, and dial-up Internet were still around. Ahh, the good ol' days of three years ago."? ;D

In 2007 I was nostalgic for early 2000s items, but not the calendar years. I liked Pokémon, I liked Hey Arnold, (I hated Dial-up), but I didn't think to put them together and think "oh 2003 was so awesome".

Written By: Zelek2 on 03/26/16 at 3:04 pm

It seems like people don't realize how much has changed until a decade has ended.

For example, most people would think we're still in the same era as 2010, even though so much has changed since then. Ordinary people would just naturally assume Obama is still president, Fox News and the Tea Party are still feuding with him, Justin Bieber, Ke$ha, and Katy Perry are still on the radio, the economy is still in dire straits, the right-wing is still more of a laughingstock than the left-wing (outside of the Internet, many people don't know or care that "SJWs" exist), Apple products are still hyped up rather than taking on a more low-key attitude, etc.

By 2020, the changes will be put into better perspective.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/26/16 at 3:37 pm

Here was the intro to the uncut version of DBZ that aired CN (Toonami) in 2005. It was always on Saturday nights and I loved it.

TuFd5a_XLhc

Unfortunately it was short lived, since it was off the lineup by 2006. After all, the original DBZ from 1998-2003 was edited.

I thought I was the only one who remembered the DBZ uncut "comeback" of 2005. I watched Adult Swim all the time back then, and started noticing (around August or so) they they were airing DBZ at 10:30 on weeknights, just before AS started. I decided to check it out one night, realized that they were airing the uncut version of the Sayian/early Namek saga and started watching it daily after that.

It was awesome because, back in 1998-99 when I first watched DBZ on Toonami, the only version of the Sayian and Namek sagas available was the heavily edited, crappily dubbed "Pioneer/Ocean dub", which literally cut out something like 10 episodes worth of content from the battle against Nappa and Vegeta alone. Funimation took over the show in 1999 starting with the fight between Goku and Captain Ginyu, but didn't finally go back and re-dub the first two seasons until 2005.

Of course, on the positive side, the Ocean era did give us this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP75aZvWVdw

Written By: Toon on 03/26/16 at 5:28 pm

It seems like people don't realize how much has changed until a decade has ended.

For example, most people would think we're still in the same era as 2010, even though so much has changed since then. Ordinary people would just naturally assume Obama is still president, Fox News and the Tea Party are still feuding with him, Justin Bieber, Ke$ha, and Katy Perry are still on the radio, the economy is still in dire straits, the right-wing is still more of a laughingstock than the left-wing (outside of the Internet, many people don't know or care that "SJWs" exist), Apple products are still hyped up rather than taking on a more low-key attitude, etc.

I thought everyone already knew that. Changes in a decade are always gradual which causes most people to not notice them. But when you look back on the decade after some time has past you'd notice the differences. 

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/26/16 at 5:59 pm

Technological wise, we've been in the same era since 2010. Cultural wise, it's been there since 2013. Also, Ke$ha and Katy Perry don't really have a lot of popularity since the end of the early 2010s.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/26/16 at 6:01 pm

Technological wise, we've been in the same era since 2010. Cultural wise, it's been there since 2013. Also, Ke$ha and Katy Perry don't really have a lot of popularity since the end of the early 2010s.

That would go to 2009 sir.

and Katy Perry's last big hit was her Prism album from 2013-14.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/26/16 at 6:07 pm

That would go to 2009 sir.

Well, iPads were released in 2010, and that's one of the quintessential devices in this decade.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/26/16 at 6:08 pm

and Katy Perry's last big hit was her Prism album from 2013-14.

Well... she was more popular in the early 2010s.

Written By: Toon on 03/26/16 at 6:14 pm

Well, iPads were released in 2010, and that's one of the quintessential devices in this decade.

Good point. And we see kids today having tablets/ipads. So I guess 2010 would be accurate.  Or you could say both '09-'10.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/26/16 at 6:15 pm

True, but the majority of the technology we see today has been around since late 2008 through 2009. Like High Definition television and videos becoming predominantly popular, DVR's becoming more common in people's homes, Windows 7 & up, internet being more capable on mobile phones, social media and high speed internet becoming a necessity, etc. Like Toon said, you could either choose 2009 or 2010.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/26/16 at 6:18 pm

Good point. And we see kids today having tablets/ipads. So I guess 2010 would be accurate.  Or you could say both '09-'10.

Well, it was released during the 2009-2010 school year. So yeah.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/26/16 at 6:18 pm

Well... she was more popular in the early 2010s.

Yeah, I would say that the whole numerical early 2010's was Katy Perry's popularity so far. 2008 & 2009 were her early years. 2010-2013/early 2014 was her peak though. Teenage Dream and Prism were her top albums.

Written By: 2001 on 03/26/16 at 6:29 pm

There have been a decent amount of tech innocations since 2010 though. Right now I'm listening to music through Spotify (late 2011) through my Bluetooth headphones (got popular 2013ish), the music being saved on my 32GB microSD card (seriously, I remember hunting for SD cards in 2008, anything past 8GB was extremely cost prohibitive and microSD was maybe 256MB max),  and my smart bulbs just turned on because it's sunset (Internet of Things still hasn't taken off I guess). I typed this on my ultrabook which weighs less than a kilogram.

And most important of all, motherf*ckers, there is a real universal phone charger (microUSB) (screw Apple)

If my 2009 self was transported he'd think sh*t is pretty futuristic.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/26/16 at 6:55 pm

True, but the majority of the technology we see today has been around since late 2008 through 2009. Like High Definition television and videos becoming predominantly popular, DVR's becoming more common in people's homes, Windows 7 & up, internet being more capable on mobile phones, social media and high speed internet becoming a necessity, etc. Like Toon said, you could either choose 2009 or 2010.

Well, we were living in the same technological era since the 2009-2010 school year.

Written By: Toon on 03/26/16 at 7:29 pm

There have been a decent amount of tech innocations since 2010 though. Right now I'm listening to music through Spotify (late 2011) through my Bluetooth headphones (got popular 2013ish), the music being saved on my 32GB microSD card (seriously, I remember hunting for SD cards in 2008, anything past 8GB was extremely cost prohibitive and microSD was maybe 256MB max),  and my smart bulbs just turned on because it's sunset (Internet of Things still hasn't taken off I guess). I typed this on my ultrabook which weighs less than a kilogram.

And most important of all, motherf*ckers, there is a real universal phone charger (microUSB) (screw Apple)

Heck I see people with harddrives that can hold over a Terabyte (TB) of space. 4K resolution will soon become the norm. Virtual Reality is gradually becoming the next thing in terms of tech. Windows 10 is the new popular OS. 

Written By: Zelek2 on 03/26/16 at 7:39 pm

Once again, I've asked this before, but did you guys see or notice any of your friends getting nostalgic for 2003 back in 2006?

Written By: 2001 on 03/26/16 at 7:50 pm

Heck I see people with harddrives that can hold over a Terabyte (TB) of space. 4K resolution will soon become the norm. Virtual Reality is gradually becoming the next thing in terms of tech. Windows 10 is the new popular OS.

VR, self-driving cars and home automation are shaping up to be the big things for the 2020s. Of course I couldn't predict touchscreen smartphones being the big thing of the 2010s in 2006, so the next big thing can really come out of nowhere.

Once again, I've asked this before, but did you guys see or notice any of your friends getting nostalgic for 2003 back in 2006?

No.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/26/16 at 7:54 pm

Not at all. It was too recent at that time.

Written By: Zelek2 on 03/26/16 at 7:56 pm

Not at all. It was too recent at that time.

But late 90s things like Pokemon with Misty, dial-up Internet, Surge, the Gundam franchise, pre-cancellation Family guy, etc. were all been shot dead sometime between 03-06. :P Did not many people who grew up in the late 90s/early 00s care at the time?

The 00s were a decade of greatly contrasting periods. Just like the Nixon and Ford/Vietnam/prog rock era of 1970-1977 was way different from the Carter/economic hardship/disco era of 1977-1979.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/26/16 at 8:00 pm

I don't think anybody has ever been nostalgic over something that happened three years ago. Hell, I wouldn't even be nostalgic for something three years ago, since 2013 wasn't really that good.

Written By: Zelek2 on 03/26/16 at 8:01 pm

Well, I miss my old home in Belgium from 2009-2012. :P

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/26/16 at 8:07 pm

But late 90s things like Pokemon with Misty, dial-up Internet, Surge, the Gundam franchise, pre-cancellation Family guy, etc. were all been shot dead sometime between 03-06. :P Did not many people who grew up in the late 90s/early 00s care at the time?

They were more nostalgic towards the late 90s, not the early 2000s. I don't think anybody would be nostalgic towards anything from the 21st century in the 2000s. The cutoff was simply either 1996-1999 back in their day. Same with 2000s nostalgia. Most people who were kids in the 2000s would believe the cutoff was either 2006-2009 right now. Especially here.

The 00s were a decade of greatly contrasting periods. Just like the Nixon and Ford/Vietnam/prog rock early-mid 70s were way different from the Carter/economic hardship/disco late 70s.

Except that the 2000s was defined with Bush throughout the whole decade.

Written By: 2001 on 03/26/16 at 8:10 pm

Well, I miss my old home in Belgium from 2009-2012. :P

You used to live in Belgium? That's pretty cool! Do you speak French?

Anyway, I don't think it's real nostalgia unless you feel pure bliss when you think about the era. For me only early 2004 and before can do that. ;D In 2006 I wasn't nostalgic for anything, not that I recall.

Written By: Zelek2 on 03/26/16 at 8:11 pm

You used to live in Belgium? That's pretty cool! Do you speak French?

Not much, heh. My parents are in the navy so we tend to move around a lot.

I'm sad what happened in Brussels, knowing we will probably never be able to go back there.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/26/16 at 8:15 pm

The 00s were a decade of greatly contrasting periods. Just like the Nixon and Ford/Vietnam/prog rock early-mid 70s were way different from the Carter/economic hardship/disco late 70s.

I will admit that, by 2006, I was starting to feel a little nostalgia for the late '90s/early '00s. Not much, of course, because it was only a few years, but when you're 19, age 12 does feel like a long time ago. There were also some fairly massive technological changes between 2000 and 2006, and my personal life shifted dramatically during those years as I transitioned from childhood to young adulthood.

And, yeah, the '00s was a fairly disjointed decade. At most, you could possibly divide it politically into as much as four different eras:

2000: Last days of the glossy, booming Clinton era.
2001-2003: Mediocre economy, renewed post-9/11 patriotism, militarism and George W. Bush both very popular.
2004-2006: Economy improves, Bush becomes increasingly unpopular after Iraq and Katrina debacles, country moves more to the left.
2007-2009: Economy tanks, enthusiasm for military intervention in the middle east goes down the tubes, the Obama phenomenon takes off.

Written By: 2001 on 03/26/16 at 8:17 pm

I'm sad what happened in Brussels, knowing we will probably never be able to go back there.

Oh.  :( That's awful.

I was nostalgic for my childhood neighbourhood (which I lived in from 1999-2004) in 2006, but like I said, I was nostalgic for the neighbourhood and not the calendar years. I was thinking "take me back to my old neighbourhood!", not "take me back to 2003!" :P

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/26/16 at 8:39 pm

What navy are you in? European? American?

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/26/16 at 9:35 pm

Late 2000s Taking Back Sunday was awesome. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ldjbjwim4k

Gross. Why did you send me this song? I have hated this song since it's come out and I continue to hate it and all it's awfulness. The only TBS I like is the one that released Tell All Your Friends with John Nolan as the second singer. This is just a garbage imposter.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/26/16 at 9:37 pm

Yes but not for 2003. I was nostalgia for 2000, 2001 and 2002 but I grouped those years in with the 90's. Ever since Warped Tour 2005, I've missed those years.

Written By: 2001 on 03/26/16 at 10:10 pm

Gross. Why did you send me this song? I have hated this song since it's come out and I continue to hate it and all it's awfulness. The only TBS I like is the one that released Tell All Your Friends with John Nolan as the second singer. This is just a garbage imposter.

It's such a fun screamo song though. Also they're wearing bootcuts in late 2006. I told you skinny jeans weren't a thing in 2006/2007!

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/26/16 at 10:10 pm

It's such a fun screamo song though.

The definition of screamo has become rather loose, hasn't it?

Written By: 2001 on 03/26/16 at 10:13 pm

The definition of screamo has become rather loose, hasn't it?

I was trolling... Or was I? Either way I was hoping for an angrier response.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/26/16 at 10:15 pm

I was trolling... Or was I? Either way I was hoping for an angrier response.

I could tell you were trolling. ;)

Taking Back Sunday are definitely not screamo in any sense.

Written By: 2001 on 03/26/16 at 10:25 pm

I could tell you were trolling. ;)

Taking Back Sunday are definitely not screamo in any sense.

If you sing along to the chorus you kind of have to scream though.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/26/16 at 10:28 pm

If you sing along to the chorus you kind of have to scream though.

It's only "screaming" if you have wimpy real 00s vocal chords. ;)

Written By: 2001 on 03/26/16 at 10:32 pm

It's only "screaming" if you have wimpy real 00s vocal chords. ;)

Is Wheatus Y2K era vocals? :P

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/26/16 at 10:34 pm

Is Wheatus Y2K era vocals? :P

Yes, Wheatus is 1998-2002 vocals. Just a teenage dirtbag is all.

But so is Glassjaw and they're pretty mighty with their vocals.

Written By: Zelek2 on 03/26/16 at 10:57 pm

What navy are you in? European? American?

America

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/27/16 at 6:12 am

America

Oh.

Written By: doublejm1 on 03/28/16 at 7:37 am

2003 was a very memorable year for me, as I transitioned into young adulthood:

-Enjoyed all the end-of-year activities for seniors in high school (prom, class trip, etc)
- Got my first car, a hand-me-down
- Won 4th place in a district competition and qualified for state -- the trip there with fellow club members was the most fun trip I've ever been on
- Had a relationship and fling with a few girls after having a relatively quiet love life the first three years of high school
- My hometown Marlins shocked the world and won the World Series
- Started college and met loads of new people in the Honors program I enrolled in
- My social life was at its peak -- I went out with friends and family that year like never before

With exception to the year I hooked up with my wife and the one in which we married, I'd say 2003 was the best -- and most transformative -- year of my life.

Written By: John Titor on 09/21/18 at 3:02 pm

summer 2003 sucked

Written By: piecesof93 on 09/21/18 at 6:14 pm

The Hillary Duff song reminded me, it was the summer when the Lizzie McGuire movie came out on VHS.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c7/TheLizziemcguiremovie.jpg

Decent movie, though you probably need to watch the show first to appreciate it.

I had it on DVD.

Written By: Rainbowz on 09/21/18 at 7:05 pm

I would say the number one thing that was hot during the summer of 2003 was the weather.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/21/18 at 7:10 pm

I would say the number one thing that was hot during the summer of 2003 was the weather.

What about the temperatures of stoves and ovens?

Written By: Mat1991 on 09/21/18 at 9:11 pm

Hilary Duff's breakout year was 2003. That's when The Lizzie McGuire Movie and her debut album were released, so she was becoming mainstream and breaking away from Disney Channel.

I remember Hilary and Avril Lavigne were being compared to one another by the media, and I think there was even a mini feud between the two.

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 09/23/18 at 2:07 pm

2003 was special to me because it was the first year I wanted to have sex with a woman.

Memorable music:

Eminem, 8 mile

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 09/23/18 at 2:10 pm

I see your point, but it's still just more of the same though isn't it. There isn't anything revolutionary like when the Iphone came out in '07.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 10/01/18 at 5:36 am

Well, you're actually not wrong. The summer of 2003 saw a huge heatwave across Europe, which not only resulted in thousands of deaths but brought temperatures to record levels not seen since the 1500s!

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/01/18 at 9:18 am

Summer 2003 brought the return of PacMan.  It was EVERYWHERE.  I remember.  And heat sleeves for shirts.  You could put them on to get hot when it was cold out.  I also remember Pan Am, and the resulting typhoon.  IT was a crazy summer.

Check for new replies or respond here...