inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Remember G4 (TV Channel)?

Written By: mqg96 on 02/27/16 at 3:02 pm

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/dreamlogos/images/b/bc/G4_us.png/revision/latest?cb=20141130164857

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/RGgPMcHp2GA/hqdefault.jpg

QwOEVwaxYSo pbvtouMM4N0 QDZ0BZKzTj8

Y93kyX_myxg GiRYDSS1rNU 17Y6iOHIZv8

nSXb0Bjsvsg WOlLGL1l4uY pV7Pqj7hKhM

This gaming channel was so for real! It's probably going to be more forgotten as time goes on, but who knows? I loved so many shows on here like X-Play, Ninja Warrior, Unbeatable Banzuke, Icons, Attack of the Show, watching E3 on the channel every year, etc. While I wasn't the biggest gamer around growing up, I'd always be excited to catch trailers, exclusives, and gameplays on here! The channel was officially shutdown in December 2014, however, a lot of cable providers including mine took it off around 2013 anyway. G4 was in its prime throughout the whole 2000's decade. I don't even remember when I first discovered it from the top of my head, it may have been around 2004 or so. I just remember how awesome it was!

Subject: Re: Remember G4 (TV Channel)?

Written By: 2001 on 02/27/16 at 3:04 pm

Doesn't it still exists? I remember watching it a few years ago when I was bored and still had cable.

I never liked it personally  ;D I always felt it was an inferior version of GameTrailers (which is closing down soon unfortunately).

edit: Ah I see, it closed down last year eh? That's unfortunate. You should check out some gaming podcasts from 1UP and GiantBomb. I think they do better than the channel. :)

Written By: cool123 on 02/27/16 at 3:10 pm

Ah sheesh G4. I used to watch Ninja Warrior all the time on that network.

Written By: Zelek2 on 02/27/16 at 3:13 pm

G4 was in its prime throughout the whole 2000's decade.

Funny, most people I know believe it lost its way around 2006 or so.

Written By: 2001 on 02/27/16 at 3:16 pm

Yeah, I remember it being popular in 2004/2005, but not much after that. There were much better websites on the Internet that delivered the content faster and in a better format.

Written By: Toon on 02/27/16 at 3:20 pm

I actually liked G4 TV especially their Icon/history episodes.

a3rw-9Q0lJ02SQJ8XeArso
QUD12IjuVBcYB2v7yv6tiM
HGBASxXhvskIpXhjDMkNpU

Written By: mqg96 on 02/27/16 at 4:02 pm

Naw, to me G4 turned for the worst when Cops, Cheaters, and other reality shows that were non-gaming related kept being played all the time. G4 was at its best when X-Play, Attack of the Show, Icons, Cheat!, the E3 conferences, and all the Toyko/Japanese game shows were being played regularly. I honestly didn't care for all the other acquired shows or whatever else that was on there.

Written By: SpyroKev on 02/27/16 at 6:27 pm

I first discovered the channel in 2003. I caught the event where Mario appeared on the stage screen beside his creator, I recall. I literally forgot the number to the channel. I recall seeing it for the last time in 2004.

Written By: The Burger King on 02/27/16 at 7:40 pm

Naw, to me G4 turned for the worst when Cops, Cheaters, and other reality shows that were non-gaming related kept being played all the time. G4 was at its best when X-Play, Attack of the Show, Icons, Cheat!, the E3 conferences, and all the Toyko/Japanese game shows were being played regularly. I honestly didn't care for all the other acquired shows or whatever else that was on there.

Do you remember Code Monkeys?

Written By: mqg96 on 02/27/16 at 7:42 pm

Do you remember Code Monkeys?

Yes I do, but I barely remember watching the series.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/27/16 at 8:57 pm

Ah sheesh G4. I used to watch Ninja Warrior all the time on that network.

I remember that show it was pretty dope 8)

I actually liked G4 TV especially their Icon/history episodes.

a3rw-9Q0lJ02SQJ8XeArso
QUD12IjuVBcYB2v7yv6tiM
HGBASxXhvskIpXhjDMkNpU

Damn Icons was hands down my favorite show on the network! Especially the episode on the NES and how it revived the American Video Game Industry

I first discovered the channel in 2003. I caught the event where Mario appeared on the stage screen beside his creator, I recall. I literally forgot the number to the channel. I recall seeing it for the last time in 2004.

Yeah I discovered it in 2004 and I regularly watched till 2010 or so, despite online video (such as Gametrailers, RIP) being popular by then.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/28/16 at 5:16 pm

I started watching G4 stuff way back before it even merged with TechTV. The first time I watched TechTV was around 2000 or 2001 when my cousin first introduced me to X-Play (at that time, it was still called Extended Play and hosted by Adam Sessler alone without Morgan Webb). G4 didn't launch until 2002.

Long story short, I loved G4/TechTV back in the early-to-mid '00s. You have to remember that G4's prime came largely in the days before YouTube existed, so it wasn't like it is today with hundreds of thousands of videos online of people reviewing new games, speedrunning, making lists of classic games, etc..  Just the mere possibility of being able to watch television shows dedicated to video games seemed pretty revolutionary at the time.

Probably my favorite era of the channel was around 2004-2005, back when it was still called G4-TechTV, shortly after the two networks merged. Back then, you sort of got the best of both worlds, with video game related G4 shows like Icons, Cheat!, and Electronic Playground, but also with many TechTV classics like The Screen Savers still in the lineup as well.

Check for new replies or respond here...