inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Can you ever see PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, etc. being considered "retro"?

Written By: Zelek2 on 03/05/16 at 9:52 pm

If X-Play is to be believed, 1995 games were already considered "retro" by 2005:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgVTbH1HWcg

However, it's 2016, and very few people consider 2005 games to be "retro". Why is this? Have technological advances perhaps stagnated in those 10 years, compared to the absolutely tremendous leap we had from 1995 to 2005?

Subject: Re: Can you ever see PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, etc. being considered "retro"?

Written By: 2001 on 03/05/16 at 10:01 pm

Usually, the generation that is two generations is prior is considered retro for collector's purposes, so technically PS2 already is retro. However, in terms of actual retro, it is usually the generation that is three generations prior that is considered socially retro.

When the 7th generation of gaming was getting started, people didn't consider 5th gen (N64/PS1/Saturn/Gameboy) to be retro. I know because I was on gaming forums (Gamespot) back then in 2006-2008. 4th gen had only just been accepted as retro status. However, the N64/PS1 boards were taken down and people who wanted to discuss those systems were directed to the retro forum. The PS2/GCN/Xbox forums on the other hand continued to exist even when I came back for a brief visit in 2011.

I can see PS2 being considered retro once 9th gen gets closer, so possibly the late '10s or the early '20s.

Subject: Re: Can you ever see PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, etc. being considered "retro"?

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/05/16 at 10:03 pm

The 6th generation is just as retro as frosted tips and chain wallets.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/05/16 at 10:04 pm

It's because 6th generation gaming was still in full force despite the 7th generation coming in. If you look at the popular games from 2005, they're mainly from the 6th generation. Furthermore, both generations continued up until 2013-14 making it harder for those consoles to be considered retro; however, the Dreamcast is now starting to receive that title since it ended 15 years ago. I would give it 5/6 years and those systems will be retro in no time.

Written By: Toon on 03/05/16 at 10:11 pm

Usually, the generation that is two generations is prior is considered retro for collector's purposes, so technically PS2 already is retro. However, in terms of actual retro, it is usually the generation that is three generations prior that is considered socially retro.

When the 7th generation of gaming was getting started, people didn't consider 5th gen (N64/PS1/Saturn/Gameboy) to be retro. I know because I was on gaming forums (Gamespot) back then in 2006-2008. 4th gen had only just been accepted as retro status. However, the N64/PS1 boards were taken down and people who wanted to discuss those systems were directed to the retro forum. The PS2/GCN/Xbox forums on the other hand continued to exist even when I came back for a brief visit in 2011.

I can see PS2 being considered retro once 9th gen gets closer, so possibly the late '10s or the early '20s.

Yeah, back in the 7th gen (especially in its early days) no one saw the 5th Gen as retro. They only saw the 3rd-4th gen (NES/Master System/SNES/Genesis) as retro. It usually takes 2-3 gens after a certain gen has ended for it to be considered retro.  Although Ps2 has sort of already hit that "retro/classic" status. Especially with how on the PS3/PS4 there are the "PS2 Classics" which allows you to purchase old PS2 games. Wii U allows for you to purchase Gamecube Games on its Virtual Console and stuff. By the 9th console gen I can also see 6th gen being seen as fully Retro by the time we reach 2020 or so.

Now while the consoles may not be seen as retro some people see specific games as retro such as Jak and Daxter or Sly Cooper. Both of which released 14-15 years ago. Or Dark Cloud and Devil may Cry 1 which release 15-16 years ago.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 03/06/16 at 12:35 am

Not yet! ::)  The 5th generation is JUST NOW starting to become retro! :D

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 03/06/16 at 6:59 am

I'd say once a console turns 20 years old its considered retro. So that would mean the N64 would become retro this year :o

The Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, & Gamecube would all become retro circa 2019-2021! Besides by then we would most likely be in the 9th generation of game consoles

Written By: Zelek2 on 03/06/16 at 8:53 am

I'd say once a console turns 20 years old its considered retro.

But what about the Genesis, SNES, etc. around 2008-2009? Those were definitely retro then, but more like 18-19 years old. I remember a lot of retro reviews (particularly "angry" reviewers like AVGN, Silent Rob, Armake, etc.) and playthroughs of those games on YouTube back then. There was also a lot of emulation for those games.

If anything, I'd be inclined to go with the "three generations behind" rule. In the 6th generation, 80s NES games were cool. In the 7th generation, early-mid 90s games were cool. In the 8th generation (now), mid-late 90s games are cool. In the 9th generation...early-mid 00s games will probably be "cool" as well.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/06/16 at 9:11 am

But what about the Genesis, SNES, etc. around 2008-2009? Those were definitely retro then, but more like 18-19 years old. I remember a lot of retro reviews (particularly "angry" reviewers like AVGN, Silent Rob, Armake, etc.) and playthroughs of those games on YouTube back then. There was also a lot of emulation for those games.

If anything, I'd be inclined to go with the "three generations behind" rule. In the 6th generation, 80s NES games were cool. In the 7th generation, early-mid 90s games were cool. In the 8th generation (now), mid-late 90s games are cool. In the 9th generation...early-mid 00s games will probably be "cool" as well.

This is something that I absolutely agree with. There were a lot of reviews from the late 2000s/early 2010s that were from the 4th-6th generations of video games. I mean, we had the AVGN reviewing bad games from the Atari, NES, SNES, N64, 3DO, Game Boy, etc. As long as they were from the late 70s to late 90s, he'll review them. Although, he does review early 2000s games, but not that much. As for the emulators, there are a lot of old video game consoles that have them. Hell, even the Game Boy Advance, which wasn't even old until a few years ago, had them. But I guess people were more into the DS back then.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 03/06/16 at 9:17 am

Yeah that is a good point! I mean if it's close to 20 years (so for instance the Dreamcast Turning 17 this year) then it's pretty retro of you ask me. However the 3 generations behind rule those make a lot of sense though, in combination with the 20 years rule.

For instance, let's assume the PS5 & Xbox (TWO?) comes out in 2018/2019, the 6th generation would be 3 generations behind and consoles like the PS2, GCN, & Xbox would be nearly 20 years old.

Written By: Howard on 03/06/16 at 3:11 pm

I'd say once a console turns 20 years old its considered retro. So that would mean the N64 would become retro this year :o

The Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, & Gamecube would all become retro circa 2019-2021! Besides by then we would most likely be in the 9th generation of game consoles

I can see The PS3 becoming retro in another 10 years.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/06/16 at 3:18 pm

I can see The PS3 becoming retro in another 10 years.

True. The PS3 is still modern, as publishers still release games on it.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 03/06/16 at 4:27 pm

While the 6th gen becomes retro in 2019/2020 at the start of the 9th gen, the 7th gen will also become retro in 2025/2026 at the start of the 10th gen.

Written By: #Infinity on 03/06/16 at 6:15 pm

I always thought the NES was retro back when the PS2, original XBOX, and GameCube were first popular.  Now, virtually as much time has passed since then as from when NES first got a wide release in North America to 2001! :o

I think 6th generation games are starting to look more outdated today, just because graphics now are in the uncanny valley territory, but the mostly rounded polygons in games like Super Smash Bros. Melee and Gran Turismo 3, for example, still hold up quite well today.  Only two console generations have passed since 15 years ago, when all major sixth-generation consoles had come out; by then, the chronologically equidistant third generation was three console generations back.  I think the sixth generation of gaming won't start to feel truly retro until virtual reality becomes more integrated into mainstream gaming.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 03/06/16 at 6:19 pm

I always thought the NES was retro back when the PS2, original XBOX, and GameCube were first popular.  Now, virtually as much time has passed since then as from when NES first got a wide release in North America to 2001! :o

I think 6th generation games are starting to look more outdated today, just because graphics now are in the uncanny valley territory, but the mostly rounded polygons in games like Super Smash Bros. Melee and Gran Turismo 3, for example, still hold up quite well today.  Only two console generations have passed since 15 years ago, when all major sixth-generation consoles had come out; by then, the chronologically equidistant third generation was three console generations back.  I think the sixth generation of gaming won't start to feel truly retro until virtually reality becomes more integrated into mainstream gaming.

Yeah I agree. While 6th generation is most definitely dated, because the game consoles hold up very well the changes don't seem as drastic so many people (like myself) are a bit torn of calling it retro. With virtual reality starting to become a viable option this year with the Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, & Playstation VR it may seem that 6th gen may become retro much sooner than we think!

Written By: Toon on 03/06/16 at 6:37 pm

Not sure if has to look old visually to be retro. Didn't think that was a requirement for something to become retro. But hey what do I know. The thing I like about the 6th gen that the previous gens don't have is how well the graphics hold up which means the games have aged a lot better visually which is always a plus to me. Games like Star Fox Adventures, Super Mario Sunshine, Conker Live and Reloaded, Zelda Windwaker, Pikmin, Smash Bros Melee, Sonic Heroes, and Metroid Prime still look great. But then again games like Dark Cloud, Halo Combat Evolved, GTA 3, or Devil May Cry 1 don't look very good as some of the other 6th gen games nowadays.

Anyways the 5th gen consoles been seen as retro only recently. So I don't expect the 6th gen to become retro until the 8th gen ends in either the late '10s-early '20s.

Written By: bchris02 on 03/07/16 at 1:59 pm

One thing you have to take into consideration is starting with 6th gen, all consoles had moved to optical disc and therefore the latest consoles could play the games from the previous generation.  Prior to 6th gen, you either had to own the console or use an emulator.  The N64 couldn't play SNES games and the SNES couldn't play NES games.  In addition, advancement between generations have been less and less since 5th gen.  6th to 7th gen was a significant step forward because that is when online play become prominent, but the biggest difference between 7th and 8th gen is simply graphics.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/07/16 at 2:59 pm

One thing you have to take into consideration is starting with 6th gen, all consoles had moved to optical disc and therefore the latest consoles could play the games from the previous generation.  Prior to 6th gen, you either had to own the console or use an emulator.  The N64 couldn't play SNES games and the SNES couldn't play NES games.  In addition, advancement between generations have been less and less since 5th gen.  6th to 7th gen was a significant step forward because that is when online play become prominent, but the biggest difference between 7th and 8th gen is simply graphics.

So would you say 7th generation gaming is more related to 8th generation or 6th generation?

Written By: Toon on 03/07/16 at 3:17 pm

So would you say 7th generation gaming is more related to 8th generation or 6th generation?

8th gen is just a slightly upgraded 7th gen. The only real difference is that game graphics have improved. But then again a lot are criticizing the Xb1, PS4, and Wii U for being underpowered as they're already seen as outdated consoles in terms of hardware specs. The 7th gen was a big step up from the 6th gen due to online features being more popular and the introduction of HD. Along with things like motion control like the Wiimote and Kinect. The upgrade on console hardware specs from the 6th gen to 7th gen was also a pretty big jump. 6th gen mainly relates to the 5th gen to me. 7th gen mainly relates to the 8th gen. Although the 8th console gen may finally see VR gaming become the norm. And the 9th gen may continue that trend.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/07/16 at 3:23 pm

8th gen is just a slightly upgraded 7th gen. The only real difference is that game graphics have improved. But then again a lot are criticizing the Xb1, PS4, and Wii U for being underpowered as they're already seen as outdated consoles in terms of hardware specs. The 7th gen was a big step up from the 6th gen due to online features being more popular and the introduction of HD. Along with things like motion control like the Wiimote and Kinect. The upgrade on console hardware specs from the 6th gen to 7th gen was also a pretty big jump. 6th gen mainly relates to the 5th gen to me. 7th gen mainly relates to the 8th gen. Although the 8th console gen may finally see VR gaming become the norm. And the 9th gen may continue that trend.

What also makes 7th generation more similar to 8th generation are the names too. For example, with 5th & 6th gen, Nintendo still had originals names for its consoles, like Nintendo 64 and Nintendo Gamecube. However, with 7th gen and 8th gen, you have the Nintendo Wii and Nintendo Wii U. The only difference is with the U added to it, that's so lazy! Why couldn't Nintendo come up with an original name for the next gen? Also, back in the 6th generation era, you still had Sega with the Dreamcast being the last one, even though it was released when 6th gen wasn't in its peak yet, and it was discontinued by the time 6th gen entered its peak in 2001 when the XBOX and Gamecube were released. Nintendo also still used the Gameboy brand for its handhelds too. Gameboy Advance for 6th gen after the Gameboy Color in 5th. Since 7th generation it's been the DS era, and with 8th gen it's the 3DS, not that much different.

Written By: Toon on 03/07/16 at 3:39 pm

What also makes 7th generation more similar to 8th generation are the names too. For example, with 5th & 6th gen, Nintendo still had originals names for its consoles, like Nintendo 64 and Nintendo Gamecube. However, with 7th gen and 8th gen, you have the Nintendo Wii and Nintendo Wii U. The only difference is with the U added to it, that's so lazy! Why couldn't Nintendo come up with an original name for the next gen? Also, back in the 6th generation era, you still had Sega with the Dreamcast being the last one, even though it was released when 6th gen wasn't in its peak yet, and it was discontinued by the time 6th gen entered its peak in 2001 when the XBOX and Gamecube were released. Nintendo also still used the Gameboy brand for its handhelds too. Gameboy Advance for 6th gen after the Gameboy Color in 5th. Since 7th generation it's been the DS era, and with 8th gen it's the 3DS, not that much different.

In terms of name comparisons.
5th Gen - Nintendo 64, Sony Playstation 1, Sega Saturn, Gameboy Color
6th Gen - Nintendo Gamecube, Sony Playstation 2, Sega Dreamcast, Microsoft Xbox, Gameboy Advance
7th Gen - Nintendo Wii, Sony PlayStation 3, Microsoft Xbox 360, Nintendo DS
8th Gen - Nintendo Wii U, Sony PlayStation 4, Microsoft Xbox One, Nintendo 3DS

Yep! The 8th gen names suck. The Wii U name was originally one of the reasons the Wii U didn't sell very well. People confused it for the original Wii. And you got situations like this.
"Mommy, can I get a Wii U?"
"I already bought you a Wii. Why would I buy a 2nd one?"

The PS4's name is still as lazy as the previous consoles. The Xbox one's name is stupid for obvious reasons. And the Nintendo 3DS is just the DS' name, but with a "3" in front.

6th gen refined a lot of things from the 5th gen. Compare Banjo Kazooie to Jak and Daxter. Jak and Daxter not only had better graphics, but also had a seamless world thanks to the game being open world and having no loading screens. And also better quality animation along with pretty good gameplay. Games like GTA 3 was very innovative to the point that to most people it help set the standard for sandbox/open world games. Games like Super Smash Bros Melee refined everything from Super Smash Bros 64 with new characters, higher quality music, bigger stages, better graphics, more modes. Mario Kart Double Dash is a huge upgrade to Mario Kart 64. Mario 64 had characters who weren't 3D models and instead just 2D pre-rendered sprites. Double Dash not only had 3D models, but this time it supported 2 charcters at once. So instead of 8 characters racing you actually had 16. PS2 was innovative thanks to it supporting DVDs to play movies which is awesome as actual DVDs where expensive at the time. Xbox was innovative due to having a built in hard drive. No need for a memory card or anything. And it also introduced Xbox live which was a big thing for people. Same with the Dreamcast also introducing online play, but it wouldn't be the norm yet until the 7th gen.... but hey all things from start from somewhere. As we mention before sometimes new innovations in tech/features don't usually get popular until a few years after they're released. The improvements from the 5th gen to 6th gen were noticeable right from the start. The improvements for the 7th to 8th gen were not. The improvements from the 6th to 7th gen were also noticeable. Hopefully the 8th to 9th gen improvements are also noticeable.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/07/16 at 4:00 pm

Yep! The 8th gen names suck. The Wii U name was originally one of the reasons the Wii U didn't sell very well. People confused it for the original Wii. And you got situations like this.
"Mommy, can I get a Wii U?"
"I already bought you a Wii. Why would I buy a 2nd one?"

The PS4's name is still as lazy as the previous consoles. The Xbox one's name is stupid for obvious reasons. And the Nintendo 3DS is just the DS' name, but with a "3" in front.

Well, some similar names for consoles are alright. For instance, the Super NES, is just the NES, but with super on it. However, a lot of people bought it. That's pretty much a difference. But I think it's because of the graphics. The Wii and Wii U on the other hand, pretty much had the same graphics. There isn't anything different with them honestly. Same with the Xbox One and PS4. They're just like 8th generation remakes of their previous incarnations.

Written By: Toon on 03/07/16 at 4:18 pm

Well, some similar names for consoles are alright. For instance, the Super NES, is just the NES, but with super on it. However, a lot of people bought it. That's pretty much a difference. But I think it's because of the graphics. The Wii and Wii U on the other hand, pretty much had the same graphics. There isn't anything different with them honestly. Same with the Xbox One and PS4. They're just like 8th generation remakes of their previous incarnations.

Yes, even the 4th gen had its lazy names. SNES or Super NES or Super Nintendo Entertainment system isn't a very creative name. Heck most of the Super Nintendo games just had "Super" in front of them. Examples like  Metroid and Super Metroid.  The 4th gen did have other unique names like the Sega Genesis which is different from the Sega Master System and the TurboGrafx-16.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 03/09/16 at 3:54 pm

Here's how I would set up decades based on video gaming eras:

1970s: 1st generation
1980s: 2nd generation/3rd generation
1990s: 4th generation/5th generation
2000s: 6th generation/7th generation
2010s: 8th generation

Written By: #Infinity on 03/09/16 at 5:17 pm

One of the major reasons the eighth generation is hardly different from the seventh generation is that the biggest gameplay innovations introduced during the seventh generation, particularly the Wii's motion control and Kinect's movement sensors, were short-lived fads that the gaming community did not fully adapt to. Online gaming proved to have staying power as the sixth generation of gaming progressed, so it eventually became standard by the seventh, but the Wii and Kinect didn't have the same consistent success, so the eighth generation has ultimately just become all about maintaining the status quo.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 03/09/16 at 6:06 pm

One of the major reasons the eighth generation is hardly different from the seventh generation is that the biggest gameplay innovations introduced during the seventh generation, particularly the Wii's motion control and Kinect's movement sensors, were short-lived fads that the gaming community did not fully adapt to. Online gaming proved to have staying power as the sixth generation of gaming progressed, so it eventually became standard by the seventh, but the Wii and Kinect didn't have the same consistent success, so the eighth generation has ultimately just become all about maintaining the status quo.

Yup we are basically in the SAME DAMN generation! The consoles may be different, but still the same era.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 03/09/16 at 6:07 pm

Yeah this is a good point Infinity. I also think that's the main reason people seem to have trouble lumping PS2/Xbox/Gamcube as being 'retro' since many of the core mechanics in gaming we have today such as online multiplayer were becoming popular during that Gen (or in the case of the original Xbox, already making it standard thanks to the success of Halo 2). However that said, The 6th Gen is still pretty dated, the graphics and the more diverse gaming libraries are dead giveaways.

So it's only a matter of time until they start to become retro, which I predict will occur around 2018-2020 when the 9th gen Consoles drop, when the generation would then be 3 generations apart, and nearly 20 years old. Also there may be some groundbreaking innovation by then like virtual reality, which is starting to take off thanks to the Oculus Rift and PlayStation VR, which would officially make the 6th generation obsolete, and heck might make the 7th generation seem very dated in comparison!

Yup we are basically in the SAME DAMN generation! The consoles may be different, but still the same era.

THIS. The difference between 7th and 8th is outright laughable ;D >:(

Written By: muppethammer26 on 03/09/16 at 6:11 pm

I would rather pair the 6th gen with the 7th gen, since both gens represent the 2000s gaming. Plus, the 7th gen is literally the 6th gen with HD graphics, online gaming, DLC and motion controls. The 8th gen is a generation to itself, because the 2010s only has 8th gen gaming (I don't count the last few years of the 7th gen as part of the 2010s gaming)

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 03/09/16 at 6:13 pm

I would rather pair the 6th gen with the 7th gen, since both gens represent the 2000s gaming. Plus, the 7th gen is literally the 6th gen with HD graphics, online gaming, DLC and motion controls.

Just because the consoles came out in the 00s doesn't mean they go together! and the 7th gen a hd version of the 6th gen gtf outta here! ;D ;D ;D ;D
6th gen was an updated version of the 5th generation. 7th gen is BOTH a late 00s and early 2010s thing.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 03/09/16 at 6:16 pm

I would rather pair the 6th gen with the 7th gen, since both gens represent the 2000s gaming. Plus, the 7th gen is literally the 6th gen with HD graphics, online gaming, DLC and motion controls.

That's a bit tricky. If we're talking about the first half of the 7th gen (so basically Wiimania and DSmania) then yeah its purely 2000's.

Just because the consoles came out in the 00s doesn't mean they go together! and the 7th gen a hd version of the 6th gen gtf outta here! ;D ;D ;D ;D
6th gen was an updated version of the 5th generation. 7th gen is BOTH a late 00s and early 2010s thing.

I agree the generation as a whole represents the Late 2000's/Early 2010's, not exclusively 2000's. Heck out middle school & high school years were spent mostly during this era so it's definitely not part of the core 2000's ;D

Written By: 2001 on 03/09/16 at 6:32 pm

Early 6th gen goes with 5th gen, but late 6th gen has a lot in common with 7th gen.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 03/09/16 at 6:32 pm

That's a bit tricky. If we're talking about the first half of the 7th gen (so basically Wiimania and DSmania) then yeah its purely 2000's.

I agree the generation as a whole represents the Late 2000's/Early 2010's, not exclusively 2000's. Heck out middle school & high school years were spent mostly during this era so it's definitely not part of the core 2000's ;D

Yeah when I think of the core 00s gaming, I IMMEDIATELY think of PS2, Nintendo DS, and Wii

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 03/09/16 at 6:36 pm

Early 6th gen goes with 5th gen, but late 6th gen has a lot in common with 7th gen.

Holy Crap you could say that! First half of 6th gen(2001-2004) still had: SEGA, that platforming, racing, fighting genre, third person hooter type feel then the second half was when first person, God of War, decline of fighting games, dudebro fad begun it's roots. Man the 6th gen was the biggest transition in gaming HISTORY!

Written By: muppethammer26 on 03/09/16 at 6:39 pm

Holy Crap you could say that! First half of 6th gen(2001-2004) still had: SEGA, that platforming, racing, fighting genre, third person hooter type feel then the second half was when first person, God of War, decline of fighting games, dudebro fad begun it's roots. Man the 6th gen was the biggest transition in gaming HISTORY!

The 7th gen also had platforming, racing, fighting, sports, 1st/3rd person shooter, etc. Lots of them. You just didn't pay attention to the new games from those genres being released during the 7th gen.

Written By: Zelek2 on 03/09/16 at 7:09 pm

Even though the second half of the 6th gen might've planted the seeds of decline, I still feel 2004-2007ish were great years for gaming.

I mean, how can you say the years that contained Half-Life 2, Okami, and God Hand were bad?

Written By: mqg96 on 03/09/16 at 7:55 pm

The 7th gen also had platforming, racing, fighting, sports, 1st/3rd person shooter, etc. Lots of them. You just didn't pay attention to the new games from those genres being released during the 7th gen.

Racing had kinda died out throughout 7th generation with the exception of Mario Kart and Forza. There were many racing franchises that were still coming out with games early in 7th gen, but by the 2nd half of 7th gen you haven't heard from it ever since or has been watered down badly. I'm probably the biggest expert on racing games out of everybody on this site, because when I was 7-10 I was obsessed with any video games racing related.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/09/16 at 7:56 pm

Even though the second half of the 6th gen might've planted the seeds of decline, I still feel 2004-2007ish were great years for gaming.

I agree with this statement.

Written By: Toon on 03/09/16 at 8:17 pm

Just gotta wait until Virtual Reality becomes fully mainstream. By that time I assume we'll be in a different era of gaming. Although I'm not sure if VR would be successful or go the way of the motion controls that the 7th gen consoles had. By this I mean it may be this "cool" gimmick at first, but as time passes people will sort of forget about. I don't know the future so anything can happen.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/09/16 at 11:43 pm

It's going to be hard for me to ever see the PS2 as retro, to be honest. Heck, I've only barely started to accept the PS1 as retro. It's almost like I'm automatically conditioned to think "2D=classic, 3D=current".

But, yeah, I agree that by the time we have true, full-fledged VR gaming, the whole PS2 era will certainly seem quite ancient.

Written By: Toon on 03/10/16 at 12:03 am

I'd laugh once we reach the 9th-10 gens (if we have a 10th gen) and people still see PS2 as current. By the time VR becomes big and we reach mid-9th gen the PS2 would be 20+ years old by that point. Heck we've already reached a point where if a PS2 were to ever play a PS4 game it might explode.

Written By: Howard on 03/10/16 at 4:32 pm

Just gotta wait until Virtual Reality becomes fully mainstream. By that time I assume we'll be in a different era of gaming. Although I'm not sure if VR would be successful or go the way of the motion controls that the 7th gen consoles had. By this I mean it may be this "cool" gimmick at first, but as time passes people will sort of forget about. I don't know the future so anything can happen.

When will that be?

Written By: Toon on 03/10/16 at 4:53 pm

When will that be?

Virtual Reality should be coming soon. We already have the Oculus Rift. Microsoft is working on their "Hololens" VR device and Sony is working on their "Morpheus" VR device. As time moves on I can see Virtual Reality being used for tons of other things besides gaming. I'd say the age of Virtual Reality will be coming for gaming in either late 8th gen or early 9th gen. Or late '10s/early '20s.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 04/24/16 at 9:07 pm

Virtual Reality should be coming soon. We already have the Oculus Rift. Microsoft is working on their "Hololens" VR device and Sony is working on their "Morpheus" VR device. As time moves on I can see Virtual Reality being used for tons of other things besides gaming. I'd say the age of Virtual Reality will be coming for gaming in either late 8th gen or early 9th gen. Or late '10s/early '20s.

I don't see Virtual Reality replacing TV-based gaming anytime soon. But I could see VR and video gaming co-existing for decades to come for entertainment. Instead, video gaming will continue to evolve with better graphics and better resolutions in the next two decades (4K gaming in the 2020's (9th/10th gens), 8K gaming in the 2030's (11th gen)). However, I could see some games coming out in the next two decades that require a VR device, but not all of them. But that's assuming the 9th gen will last from 2020-2026, the 10th gen from 2026-2033 and the 11th gen from 2033-2040.

Written By: Zelek2 on 04/24/16 at 9:11 pm

I know 4chan is considered a scumhole, but I sometimes enjoy going there for the occasional decent discussion, and I admit to enjoy being able to say whatever I want anonymously. :P

Anyway, their /v/ (video games) and /vr/ (retro games) boards are VERY staunchly opposed to the 6th generation being considered retro, as they believe it's when "casualization" of gaming and "dudebros" began to set it. In fact, "I bet your first console was a PS2" are common insults on those boards. ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/24/16 at 9:13 pm

But the PS2 is the best...

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/24/16 at 9:22 pm

I know 4chan is considered a scumhole, but I sometimes enjoy going there for the occasional decent discussion, and I admit to enjoy being able to say whatever I want anonymously. :P

Anyway, their /v/ (video games) and /vr/ (retro games) boards are VERY staunchly opposed to the 6th generation being considered retro, as they believe it's when "casualization" of gaming and "dudebros" began to set it. In fact, "I bet your first console was a PS2" are common insults on those boards. ;D

They do that on their boards? Damn. I know that 4chan is weird as f*ck, but saying that PS2 is sh*t is like asking if you're a true gamer or not. I'll obviously say no, since I wasn't even into actual video games until I was 8 and a half.

Written By: Toon on 04/24/16 at 9:38 pm

This is 4chan that we're talking about. To me that place is even worse than the cancerous Youtube comment section. PS2 being when casualization of gaming started? I'm never one to throw my opinions down someone's throat, but that's just downright bullsh*t. Heck the PS2 had even more hardcore games than the PS1 (PS2 has a bigger lineup than PS1 overall). Don't see what made the PS2 more "casual" than the PS1 as they both were similar in they were handled. Gamecube is seen as that last console before Nintendo decided to go casual with the Wii. Literally nearly all of the gamecube's lineup is for the hardcore Nintendo audience (also did you know that the gamecube has more Nintendo IPs than all the other consoles?). And I don't see anything that's casual about the Xbox. Also I didn't know that depending on how "casualized" or "dudebro" something is determines on if it's retro or not. That logic makes no sense. As for "dudebro" on console that I'd consider to be this was the Xbox. PS2 has a very diverse lineup, Gamecube/Gameboy Advance or Nintendo in general was never dudebro, and the Dreamcast also wasn't dudebro.

4Chan is in the top 5 worst websites to me. The place is basically cancer in the form of an internet forum.  >:( It's where tons of crazy a**holes meet and say/do the stupidest things.

*Toon is about to explode with rage. Everyone, hide your children!*

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/24/16 at 9:40 pm

This is 4chan that we're talking about. To me that place is even worse than the cancerous Youtube comment section. PS2 being when casualization of gaming started? I'm never one to throw my opinions down someone's throat, but that's just downright bullsh*t. Heck the PS2 had even more hardcore games than the PS1 (PS2 has a bigger lineup than PS1 overall). Gamecube is seen as that last console before Nintendo decided to go casual with the Wii. Literally nearly all of the gamecube's lineup is for the hardcore Nintendo audience (also did you know that the gamecube has more Nintendo IPs than all the other consoles?). And I don't see anything that's casual about the Xbox. Also I didn't know that depending on how "casualized" or "dudebro" something is determines on if it's retro or not. That logic makes no sense. As for "dudebro" on console that I'd consider to be this was the Xbox. PS2 has a very diverse lineup, Gamecube or Nintendo in general was never dudebro, and the Dreamcast also wasn't dudebro.

4Chan is in the top 5 worst websites to me. The place is basically cancer in the form of an internet forum.  >:( It's where tons of crazy a**holes meet and say/do the stupidest things.

*Toon is about to explode with rage. Everyone, hide your children!*

The Xbox was still very diverse during it's early days than most people give it credit for with stuff like Jet Set Radio Future, for example.

I heard that 4chan are into certain things that involve... uh... "illegal" activities... 

Written By: Toon on 04/24/16 at 9:43 pm

The Xbox was still very diverse during it's early days than most people give it credit for with stuff like Jet Set Radio Future, for example.

I heard that 4chan are into certain things that involve... uh... "illegal" activities...

Yes, even the Xbox was diverse. Despite what some say (usually Xbox haters) the Xbox has way more than just Halo.

As for 4chan to me that whole website is illegal. I've heard more crazy things happening on that website than any other place during my time on the internet.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/24/16 at 9:46 pm

Yes, even the Xbox was diverse. Despite what some say (usually Xbox haters) the Xbox has way more than just Halo.

As for 4chan to me that whole website is illegal. I've heard more crazy things happening on that website than any other place during my time on the internet.

Definitely. The Xbox was much more than just Halo (which is actually a really good game) and FPS didn't even take off until after Call of Duty. The early PS2, Gamecube and Xbox days were incredibly diverse for all consoles (but, despite the decline, I'd still say the entire 6th gen run was good).

Yeah, I've heard a lot of weird sh!t (illegal sh!t, too) about 4chan and the stuff that gets posted up on there... I guess it's not as bad as that "deep web" everyone talks about but it's still f*cked.

Written By: Toon on 04/24/16 at 9:57 pm

Definitely. The Xbox was much more than just Halo (which is actually a really good game) and FPS didn't even take off until after Call of Duty. The early PS2, Gamecube and Xbox days were incredibly diverse for all consoles (but, despite the decline, I'd still say the entire 6th gen run was good).

Yeah, I've heard a lot of weird sh!t (illegal sh!t, too) about 4chan and the stuff that gets posted up on there... I guess it's not as bad as that "deep web" everyone talks about but it's still f*cked.

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 is when people say that FPS games had gotten really popular. It's also the first Call of Duty many people (including myself) had gotten interested in. And also the time where we'd start seeing 12 years olds online cursing people out.  :o What a crazy time that was.

4Chan is terrible, but I supposed it isn't as bad as the deep web. Nothing can ever compare to the deep/dark web. If you aren't familiar with the deep/dark web then all I'll say is that you stay away from it. The internet is a crazy place of both where both great and not-so-great things happen. But the deep web is a place where both illegal and batsh*t insane things happen. Stay way and you'll most likely live longer.

As for 4Chan I just can see how any sane person would enjoy going their. I remember going their once. Within 10 minutes I never wanted to go their again. Haven't been to that website since 2010. And crazy to think that the place is still the same since the last time I saw it. Only went their once and I never went their again.

Written By: 2001 on 04/24/16 at 10:01 pm

In fact, "I bet your first console was a PS2" are common insults on those boards. ;D

I've used this insult often on people who say things like "Isn't Mario/Pokémon for children?". The only time I was wrong about PS2 being the first console was when the dude's first console was Xbox 360.

As for 4chan to me that whole website is illegal.

Very succinct.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/24/16 at 10:04 pm

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 is when people say that FPS games had gotten really popular. It's also the first Call of Duty many people (including myself) had gotten interested in. And also the time where we'd start seeing 12 years olds online cursing people out.  :o What a crazy time that was.

4Chan is terrible, but I supposed it isn't as bad as the deep web. Nothing can ever compare to the deep/dark web. If you aren't familiar with the deep/dark web then all I'll say is that you stay away from it. The internet is a crazy place of both where both great and not-so-great things happen. But the deep web is a place where both illegal and batsh*t insane things happen. Stay way and you'll most likely live longer.

As for 4Chan I just can see how any sane person would enjoy going their. I remember going their once. Within 10 minutes I never wanted to go their again. Haven't been to that website since 2010. And crazy to think that the place is still the same since the last time I saw it. Only went their once and I never went their again.

I thought Halo 3 and the first Modern Warfare brought FPS shooters to become the video game standard? Well, MW2 is also around the same time so I see how they'll all contribute to that. That does sound pretty crazy, although, I'd never bought the game or played it online myself.

Yeah, I know a bit about the deep web and the stuff on it. Never been there myself but I saw some videos on YouTube about these guys talking about it and the stuff that goes on. Scary stuff! I remember back in the late 90's the scariest thing (the internet might of actually have been scarier in the late 90s if you knew what to look for...) I'd been on was rotten which was mostly just photos of people looking all f*cked up and sh!t like that. It scared the sh!t outta me, though! Oh man, that site... But nowadays, you've got stuff like 4chan and the deep web (which probably existed even back then but it's more known about today) which is all that stuff (and worse) to the max. You should just stay away from that stuff in general unless you want the FBI to knock down your door and raid your house!

I've used this insult often.

Says the Nintendo fan boy... ::)

Written By: Toon on 04/24/16 at 10:10 pm

What's funny is that according to Amazon voters the PS2 is the greatest console.
https://tech4gamers.com/playstation-2-has-been-voted-best-ever-console-by-amazon-users/
https://tech4gamers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/final-table_V323001993.jpg

16 Competition:

PS4 on the Atari 2600 – 75% / 25%

PS for Wii – 72% / 28%

SNES for Dreamcast – 73% / 27%

Xbox 360 for  NGC – 59% / 41%

Mega Drive for NES – 56% / 44%

PS3 for XBox One – 62% / 38%

PS2 for Wii U – 83% / 17%

N64 for Xbox – 71% / 29%

Top 8 competition:

PS2 on the PS3 – 56% / 44%

PS for PS4 – 56% / 44%

N64 on the Mega Drive – 62% / 38%

SNES on the Xbox 360 – 51% / 49%

Top 4 competition:

PS2 on N64 – 66% / 34%

PS for SNES – 63% / 37%

2 Strong competition:

PS2 for PS – 69% / 31%

The all mighty PS2 conquers all.  8) But this is just on Amazon and not everyone on the internet.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/24/16 at 10:13 pm

The mighty PS2! Ya' can't beat it!

http://previews.123rf.com/images/talli/talli1003/talli100300021/6552002-Vector-Silhouette-of-a-young-Athlete-isolated-Sport-illustration--Stock-Vector.jpg

http://www.ps4home.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/ps2.jpg

The best from 2000 to infinity! 8)

Written By: #Infinity on 04/24/16 at 10:14 pm

Personally, as a woman who grew up playing video and computer games, I'm most disillusioned by just how badly the gaming industry has regressed in diversity representation. I feel completely unwelcome and unaccounted for in today's era, in which gender-neutral genres are no longer mainstream and every single gaming channel on YouTube is hosted by a (usually white) male. I seriously miss the Y2K era, back when The Sims, DDR, Pokemon, and real-time strategy and simulation games were still a huge deal. Although Pokemon is still going strong today, everything else I used to love has either died in popularity or barely progressed, leaving me with little more than pedestrian mobile titles.

Written By: 2001 on 04/24/16 at 10:15 pm

16 Competition:

Top 8 competition:

PS for PS4 – 56% / 44%

How were these even close?

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/24/16 at 10:18 pm

Personally, as a woman who grew up playing video and computer games, I'm most disillusioned by just how badly the gaming industry has regressed in diversity representation. I feel completely unwelcome and unaccounted for in today's era, in which gender-neutral genres are no longer mainstream and every single gaming channel on YouTube is hosted by a (usually white) male. I seriously miss the Y2K era, back when The Sims, DDR, Pokemon, and real-time strategy and simulation games were still a huge deal. Although Pokemon is still going strong today, everything else I used to love has either died in popularity or barely progressed, leaving me with little more than pedestrian mobile titles.

Yeah, the Sims isn't even that good anymore. I've been playing some Sims 4 recently and it's still got a little bit of fun in it but it feels more like Sims 2.5 than an actually successor to 3. Huge step down. There aren't even that many good mods to make the game more to my liking, either. I miss the PS1-PS2 era the most. Those consoles are the greatest!

Written By: Toon on 04/24/16 at 10:21 pm

I thought Halo 3 and the first Modern Warfare brought FPS shooters to become the video game standard? Well, MW2 is also around the same time so I see how they'll all contribute to that. That does sound pretty crazy, although, I'd never bought the game or played it online myself.

Yeah, I know a bit about the deep web and the stuff on it. Never been there myself but I saw some videos on YouTube about these guys talking about it and the stuff that goes on. Scary stuff! I remember back in the late 90's the scariest thing (the internet might of actually have been scarier in the late 90s if you knew what to look for...) I'd been on was rotten which was mostly just photos of people looking all f*cked up and sh!t like that. It scared the sh!t outta me, though! Oh man, that site... But nowadays, you've got stuff like 4chan and the deep web (which probably existed even back then but it's more known about today) which is all that stuff (and worse) to the max. You should just stay away from that stuff in general unless you want the FBI to knock down your door and raid your house!

Halo 3 and Modern Warfare 2 pretty much set the standard. Halo 3 is the highest selling Halo game and was really popular due to it's online multiplayer. Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2's success pretty much speaks for itself. Most of didn't even know or care about the franchise until MW2 released. Both these games came out in the late '00s which is the time where I'd say FPS games fully took over. I've played the games before, but besides Halo I could never get into the FPS series. All the games felt the same and were just boring. Not to mention the toxic community that range from crazy 12 year olds to man-children who take FPS games way too seriously.

I've been a good boy who never goes who does't go on places like 4Chan or the Deep Web. Always just go to safe/tolerable places. I like using the internet, so I don't really want to get involved with any of that crazy stuff. I'll just stay at pretty safe distance to the point that people don't even know that fact that I exist unless I announce/reveal myself (which will never happen).

Written By: Toon on 04/24/16 at 10:24 pm

How were these even close?

You got me there. I'm surprised on how close the SNES and Xbox 360 were. And it's amazing to see the PS1 and PS2 end off with the same result when put up against the PS3 and 4. Also I'm just surprised that the PS4 even had a chance against the PS1. But hey everyone has their different views/opinions on gaming.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/24/16 at 10:27 pm

Halo 3 and Modern Warfare 2 pretty much set the standard. Halo 3 is the highest selling Halo game and was really popular due to it's online multiplayer. Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2's success pretty much speaks for itself. Most of didn't even know or care about the franchise until MW2 released. Both these games came out in the late '00s which is the time where I'd say FPS games fully took over. I've played the games before, but besides Halo I could never get into the FPS series. All the games felt the same and were just boring. Not to mention the toxic community that range from crazy 12 year olds to man-children who take FPS games way too seriously.

I've been a good boy who never goes who does't go on places like 4Chan or the Deep Web. Always just go to safe/tolerable places. I like using the internet, so I don't really want to get involved with any of that crazy stuff. I'll just stay at pretty safe distance to the point that people don't even know that fact that I exist unless I announce/reveal myself (which will never happen).

Yeah, that seems about right to me! The whole 7th generation was all about FPS this and FPS that. It got real boring real quick which is why I didn't buy too many games for the PS3 and went back to the PS1 and PS2. Gaming today is pretty lame and I'm just going to stick with the older systems as those are still my favorites.

Ever since I got internet in the 90's, I've always just used it for chatting, checking out bands and listening to music. Not much else, really. I miss the old AOL Windows 98 days of the net with all it's funny gifs and goofy layouts. It's still a good place for entertainment and it's better to not get involved with stuff that'll get you arrested (or freak you out like rotten... Man, that site is still scary...).

You got me there. I'm surprised on how close the SNES and Xbox 360 were. And it's amazing to see the PS1 and PS2 end off with the same result when put up against the PS3 and 4. Also I'm just surprised that the PS4 even had a chance against the PS1. But hey everyone has their different views/opinions on gaming.

I'm just happy both Playstations came out on top. The first 2 are gaming's treasure.

Written By: Toon on 04/24/16 at 10:30 pm

It is pretty sad. A lot of the games released tend to star white men (nothing against white men). I've noticed that female characters only really get the playable spotlight in games that allow you to create your own characters such as Dragon Age Inquisition or Sunset Overdrive. But if there is pre-defined character that you can't change then chances are it's a white male.  This confuses me, but I guess since most of the devs in the industry are white men I assume they're just not interested or good at making characters that're in the minority. Gender neutral genres allowed for you to have a female character to be the main hero, but why is it only in gender neutral games and not games with pre-made characters?

The gaming industry this console just is a mess when considering all the crazy things that're happening.

Written By: 2001 on 04/24/16 at 10:37 pm

Yep, it was Halo 3 that started it. Call of Duty 4 and Crysis came out later that year and the deluge was in full swing.

Arguably, because the Xbox 360 came out a year earlier than its 7th Gen counterparts, the market for shooters/dudebro gaming was already well established in the 7th Gen space before other demographics. Even before we got Halo, the definitive games to own on the Xbox were games like Gears of War, Rainbow Six Vegas, Lost Planet, Left 4 Dead, Saints Row etc. So if you were a video game publisher, it was already obvious which demographic was dominant in the 7th Gen market before Halo even came out.

Written By: Toon on 04/24/16 at 10:59 pm

Yeah, that seems about right to me! The whole 7th generation was all about FPS this and FPS that. It got real boring real quick which is why I didn't buy too many games for the PS3 and went back to the PS1 and PS2. Gaming today is pretty lame and I'm just going to stick with the older systems as those are still my favorites.

Ever since I got internet in the 90's, I've always just used it for chatting, checking out bands and listening to music. Not much else, really. I miss the old AOL Windows 98 days of the net with all it's funny gifs and goofy layouts. It's still a good place for entertainment and it's better to not get involved with stuff that'll get you arrested (or freak you out like rotten... Man, that site is still scary...).

I'm just happy both Playstations came out on top. The first 2 are gaming's treasure.

7th gen was the first time I really took notice of the FPS genre. Didn't care for the genre since all the games were boring and pretty and felt similar. Compare the PS3's or 4's lineup to the PS1's or 2's. The PS3's lineup pretty much just FPS games that even the head of Sony even said that he didn't want the PS4 to mainly have shooters. Heck here is a link where he mentions that http://www.develop-online.net/news/yoshida-we-d-hate-for-all-ps4-games-to-be-fpss/0114518. He knew that the PS3's games were mainly just FPS games and he didn't want to PS4 to have mainly FPS games.... to bad the PS4 still just has FPS games. Even the head of Xbox said a similar thing when referring to the Xbox one, but I can't find a link to the article where he said it. In the 6th gen there was more diversity in genres. You could release an FPS, but you could also have a platformer or RPG and it'd still sale. PlayStation 1&2 will always be my favorite consoles.

I'm not planning to get arrested anytime soon. Gotta keep my record clean, ya know. I'm gonna be that guy who is a goody goody two-shoes.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/24/16 at 11:07 pm

7th gen was the first time I really took notice of the FPS genre. Didn't care for the genre since all the games were boring and pretty and felt similar. Compare the PS3's or 4's lineup to the PS1's or 2's. The PS3's lineup pretty much just FPS games that even the head of Sony even said that he didn't want the PS4 to mainly have shooters. Heck here is a link where he mentions that http://www.develop-online.net/news/yoshida-we-d-hate-for-all-ps4-games-to-be-fpss/0114518. He knew that the PS3's games were mainly just FPS games and he didn't want to PS4 to have mainly FPS games.... to bad the PS4 still just has FPS games. Even the head of Xbox said a similar thing when referring to the Xbox one, but I can't find a link to the article where he said it. In the 6th gen there was more diversity in genres. You could release an FPS, but you could also have a platformer or RPG and it'd still sale. PlayStation 1&2 will always be my favorite consoles.

I'm not planning to get arrested anytime soon. Gotta keep my record clean, ya know. I'm gonna be that guy who is a goody goody two-shoes.

Yeah, when the 7th gen came out, it was just the same thing over and over again. There wasn't much too choose from unless you like a billion Call of Duty clones over and over. No more platformers, fantasy, action, racing, etc. Just FPS games. The first 4 years of the PS2 had some of the best games ever made. I dunno why everyone got so excited over Call of Duty and all that. I miss the diverse PS1/PS2 days... How can Call of Duty beat Pro Skater!? It can't. Pro Skater reigns over all!

I'm gonna play it safe, as well, and be the guy who makes fun of Nu Metal in the comments of various websites. ;)

Written By: #Infinity on 04/24/16 at 11:08 pm

Yeah, the Sims isn't even that good anymore. I've been playing some Sims 4 recently and it's still got a little bit of fun in it but it feels more like Sims 2.5 than an actually successor to 3. Huge step down. There aren't even that many good mods to make the game more to my liking, either. I miss the PS1-PS2 era the most. Those consoles are the greatest!

Hell, The Sims 4 feels more like The Sims 1.5 to me. There's no way to customize your towns like in The Sims 2, instead you're left with a tiny, flat, cookie-cutter neighborhood that's no more exciting than the default neighborhood from The Sims 1 (pre-Unleashed). Despite the freedom you have in modifying your sim's facial features and physics, you can't customize their clothing or hair color anymore. In Build Mode, the roof feature has been essentially ruined due to automatic roofing no longer existing (even The Sims 1 had this). Also, the available windows, doors, wallpapers, etc. are a lot blander than they were in previous games. Worst of all, they got rid of the hot tub in Buy Mode! That was my favorite object in the series, going all the way back to the original game from 2000! It's sadly true that more features were removed for The Sims 4 than were added, making it nearly as disastrous as SimCity '13, which I hear also took a dump all over the simulation genre.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/24/16 at 11:18 pm

Hell, The Sims 4 feels more like The Sims 1.5 to me. There's no way to customize your towns like in The Sims 2, instead you're left with a tiny, flat, cookie-cutter neighborhood that's no more exciting than the default neighborhood from The Sims 1 (pre-Unleashed). Despite the freedom you have in modifying your sim's facial features and physics, you can't customize their clothing or hair color anymore. In build mode, the roof feature has been essentially ruined due to automatic roofing no longer existing (even The Sims 1 had this). Also, the available windows, doors, wallpapers, etc. are a lot blander than they were in previous games. Worst of all, they got rid of the hot tub in Buy Mode! That was my favorite object in the series, going all the way back to the original game from 2000! It's sadly true that more features were removed for The Sims 4 than were added, making it nearly as disastrous as SimCity '13, which I hear also took a dump all over the simulation genre.

Yeah, I was trying to make some characters in CAS mode today and it sucks because you can't change the color of outfits to anything else but what EA wants you to use. I remember in Sims 3, there was a ton of customization! You could choose the craziest colors for your outfits and make them just right to your liking. Hair was cool because you could change the color of each section of the hair and make it look pretty crazy. Why did they do away with that? They focused on face/body customization (which is pretty good) but got rid of everything else! The neighborhood is my biggest problem. I have a Mischievous Nu Metal Sim who trolls around the neighborhood and screws with the neighborhood but it's a pain in the ass having to load up to every single destination you go to. Even your neighbors! What's up with that? If they had to compromise, fine, they could of easily had connected designated areas with 4 or 5 lots that you could freely go to without loading. Why'd they strip it down so much? Sims 3 was great with it's map. I had 3 or 4 different sims out in different neighborhoods and I'd constantly switch between them for my wacky hi-jinx. With my story progression mod, I had tons of sims in one area ensuring some crazy sh!t! I had such a blast with that game. Even the socialization in 4 is messed up. It's supposed to be a huge improvement but why do my sims face the opposite way when talking!? It looks stupid. Speaking of build/buy: it took me forever to figure out the whole thing because the layout's so screwed. I didn't even bother with SimCity 13 but I had hopes Sims 4 might pull through and... it didn't... :-\\

Written By: #Infinity on 04/24/16 at 11:32 pm

Yeah, I was trying to make some characters in CAS mode today and it sucks because you can't change the color of outfits to anything else but what EA wants you to use. I remember in Sims 3, there was a ton of customization! You could choose the craziest colors for your outfits and make them just right to your liking. Hair was cool because you could change the color of each section of the hair and make it look pretty crazy. Why did they do away with that? They focused on face/body customization (which is pretty good) but got rid of everything else! The neighborhood is my biggest problem. I have a Mischievous Nu Metal Sim who trolls around the neighborhood and screws with the neighborhood but it's a pain in the ass having to load up to every single destination you go to. Even your neighbors! What's up with that? If they had to compromise, fine, they could of easily had connected designated areas with 4 or 5 lots that you could freely go to without loading. Why'd they strip it down so much? Sims 3 was great with it's map. I had 3 or 4 different sims out in different neighborhoods and I'd constantly switch between them for my wacky hi-jinx. With my story progression mod, I had tons of sims in one area ensuring some crazy sh!t! I had such a blast with that game. Even the socialization in 4 is messed up. It's supposed to be a huge improvement but why do my sims face the opposite way when talking!? It looks stupid. Speaking of build/buy: it took me forever to figure out the whole thing because the layout's so screwed. I didn't even bother with SimCity 13 but I had hopes Sims 4 might pull through and... it didn't... :-\\

The absolute worst part of The Sims 4 is definitely the redesigned dashboard, especially the camera feature in particular. Why the hell did they change all of that? You have to adjust the camera on a constant basis, and the mere fact that you have to open an obscure tab at the top of the screen before you can rotate it just causes the entire game to be far harder for me to pick up and play. It's ironic, since it feels like The Sims 4 was simplified for the shallow casual market of the mid-2010s, yet it's far less intuitive than any of its predecessors.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/24/16 at 11:39 pm

The absolute worst part of The Sims 4 is definitely the redesigned dashboard, especially the camera feature in particular. Why the hell did they change all of that? You have to adjust the camera on a constant basis, and the mere fact that you have to open an obscure tab at the top of the screen before you can rotate it just causes the entire game to be far harder for me to pick up and play. It's ironic, since it feels like The Sims 4 was simplified for the shallow casual market of the mid-2010s, yet it's far less intuitive than any of its predecessors.

Oh definitely. That's another horrible feature I can't stand! Another thing about it being really simple is that it's also really, really unfriendly to mods in every way. The game is so strict and confining that most people have giving up actually trying to be creative with it and branching out with the different mods they can make. It's the total opposite to Sims 3 which was extremely mod-able almost to the point where it felt like EA was saying "yeah, go ahead!" I turned it Sims 3 into a totally different game (which was pretty good on it's own but I felt like making it a bit more interesting). I had assassins, crooks, zombie diseases and all kinds of interesting stuff. Not to mention that Sims 4 expansion packs are totally useless and obvious cash grabs. Yeah, they've always been there for the $$$ but at least the previous 3 base games still had essential features you could work with. Sims 4 has none of that! You have to wait for the EXP. to get more minuscule things the game should already have. What a bunch of crap.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/24/16 at 11:54 pm

Oh definitely. That's another horrible feature I can't stand! Another thing about it being really simple is that it's also really, really unfriendly to mods in every way. The game is so strict and confining that most people have giving up actually trying to be creative with it and branching out with the different mods they can make. It's the total opposite to Sims 3 which was extremely mod-able almost to the point where it felt like EA was saying "yeah, go ahead!" I turned it Sims 3 into a totally different game (which was pretty good on it's own but I felt like making it a bit more interesting). I had assassins, crooks, zombie diseases and all kinds of interesting stuff.

Whenever I turn on The Sims 4, I usually want to just get the build-a-house process out of the way as soon as possible, just because it's become such a frustrating and unintuitive part of the game. In The Sims 2, on the other hand, I often get carried away building dream chateaus.

Not to mention that Sims 4 expansion packs are totally useless and obvious cash grabs. Yeah, they've always been there for the $$$ but at least the previous 3 base games still had essential features you could work with. Sims 4 has none of that! You have to wait for the EXP. to get more minuscule things the game should already have. What a bunch of crap.

Personally, I absolutely adored the expansion packs for The Sims 1. Every single one of them significantly enriched the whole experience of playing The Sims. Livin' Large introduced additional neighborhoods, wacky items, quirky additions to Build Mode, new careers, and unforgettable NPC's. House Party brought even more neighborhoods, a whole bunch of awesome objects, and intriguing Build Mode skins. Hot Date introduced community lots, as well as a more sophisticated relationship system. Vacation allowed you to build all-too-addicting vacation resorts or at least introduce the new objects and build options to your homes. Unleashed not only introduced pets to the series for the first time (as much as I hate the raccoon that's always accompanied by the dreaded Burglar music), but it also dramatically increased the size of a single neighborhood, furthermore allowing you to build community lots without having to travel downtown. The Sims Superstar allowed you to follow your sims through their career for the first time, well before The Sims 4: Get to Work, and was an awesome twist to the usual life simulation of the series. Finally, Makin' Magic allowed you to have all sorts of fun with the supernatural, obviously inspired by the popularity of Harry Potter but still wonderful, regardless.

I'm really devastated because I used to own all of those expansion packs, but I've since lost all of them except for Vacation. I'm seriously considering repurchasing them, not just for nostalgia's sake, but also to switch things up from my usual Sims 2 Super Collection setup.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/25/16 at 12:04 am

Whenever I turn on The Sims 4, I usually want to just get the build-a-house process out of the way as soon as possible, just because it's become such a frustrating and unintuitive part of the game. In The Sims 2, on the other hand, I often get carried away building dream chateaus.

Personally, I absolutely adored the expansion packs for The Sims 1. Every single one of them significantly enriched the whole experience of playing The Sims. Livin' Large introduced additional neighborhoods, wacky items, quirky additions to Build Mode, new careers, and unforgettable NPC's. House Party brought even more neighborhoods, a whole bunch of awesome objects, and intriguing Build Mode skins. Hot Date introduced community lots, as well as a more sophisticated relationship system. Vacation allowed you to build all-too-addicting vacation resorts or at least introduce the new objects and build options to your homes. Unleashed not only introduced pets to the series for the first time (as much as I hate the raccoon that's always accompanied by the dreaded Burglar music), but it also dramatically increased the size of a single neighborhood, furthermore allowing you to build community lots without having to travel downtown. The Sims Superstar allowed you to follow your sims through their career for the first time, well before The Sims 4: Get to Work, and was an awesome twist to the usual life simulation of the series. Finally, Makin' Magic allowed you to have all sorts of fun with the supernatural, obviously inspired by the popularity of Harry Potter but still wonderful, regardless.

I'm really devastated because I used to own all of those expansion packs, but I've since lost all of them except for Vacation. I'm seriously considering repurchasing them, not just for nostalgia's sake, but also to switch things up from my usual Sims 2 Super Collection setup.

Haha, so did I! But with me, I dunno why, but everything I'd make was some version of your typical suburban house or a nightclub. That's one thing I loved about Sims 3 was making different areas like "this is the suburb which will have all about houses and this will be for the clubs" and doing this all over the city.

I definitely liked them, too. I just think that even back in the day, without the EXP., you still had the essential features for a decent playing experience. Overall, with the first three, they really added to the experience and gave you something new. With Sims 4, it's like ordering a sandwich and getting half and being expected to pay for the other half! My favorite expansions for 1 are Hot Date, Super Star, House Party and Unleashed because of all the neat things you get. Making Sims go to the nightclub or have a house party and cause trouble, getting the extra careers for some more variety among my sims, having famous Pop Punk Sims (chillin' wit Avril!), all the new lots, pets, etc. I loved giving my Sims for freedom to cause trouble around the town and have some American Pie like storylines and hi-jinx. I'd definitely rebuy them if I were you. It's something that I still get a kick out of and if I lost them I'd rebuy them 'cause I'd miss the fun of it. It's a shame Sims 4 had to take out what was fun about the Sims and give us the blandest experience! 8-P

Written By: Howard on 04/25/16 at 2:44 pm

But the PS2 is the best...

But the PS3 is better.  :P

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/25/16 at 3:32 pm

I view it in a similar manner in terms of how long each generation of rock music became "classic". Around the psychedlic/acid era in the late '60s/early '70s, doo-wop/Elvis-type stuff was already being seen as "oldies", which was only around 10 years prior. By the time punk & disco hit, classic Motown and British Invasion type stuff was fitting that label and was 10, 15 years old at the most. By the time you got to around the early '90s, "classic rock" had just started to include up to the Arena Rock generation of the mid-late '70s/pre-MTV '80s along with some of the progressive/hard rock artists, and while some of that stuff may have been just 10 years old, it was pretty exclusively the domain of established artist and not cutting edge Punk/New Wave bands, while disco was just starting to get a second notice. The pop/rock of the '80s became retro around the turn of this century, but the earlier part of the decade became part of that firsthand, and just a few years ago in the early '10s was when the late '80s/early-mid '90s grunge/alternative became "classic rock". However, it didn't draw everybody evenly as folks are tied to a certain generation of rock. That's why such consoles as "retro" will appeal to those who warmly embraced it the most upon it being current. I still won't see someone who likes the NES/SNES as liking the Xbox since they are completely different generations, but they can still be embraced by those who waited out on them. In conclusion, there will be nostalgia, but not to the degree of the classic '80s/'90s generations due to those decades being the popular heyday of video games because by the '00s, we were pretty much at the point where we took video games for granted, lowering its mystique as being nostalgic.

Written By: Zelek2 on 04/25/16 at 5:02 pm

For some reason, /v/ also seems to use "Millennial" as an insult for a younger person, as to imply they're a casual/dudebro kid who "ruined" gaming and grew up on Minecraft and iPads. Every time you say to them "You're probably a Millennial too", they will probably respond to you with "HURR I'M 27 I'M NOT A MILLENNIAL I'M GEN Y". :P

I never see people misusing that word on the rest of the Internet. Seriously, people who are 27 are like, the CORE of millennials.

Written By: 2001 on 04/25/16 at 5:11 pm

For some reason, /v/ also seems to use "Millennial" as an insult for a younger person, as to imply they're a casual/dudebro kid who "ruined" gaming and grew up on Minecraft and iPads. Every time you say to them "You're probably a Millennial too", they will probably respond to you with "HURR I'M 27 I'M NOT A MILLENNIAL I'M GEN Y". :P

I never see people misusing that word on the rest of the Internet. Seriously, people who are 27 are like, the CORE of millennials.

It's ironic because Minecraft is actually a creative, high quality game, while the people who are 27 today were 15 years old when GTA: San Andreas came out; they pioneered the dudebro gaming culture.

Written By: Zelek2 on 04/25/16 at 5:18 pm

Some Internet people don't realize this, but Generation Y = Millennials. They are synonymous, just like

Toadstool = mushroom
Chips (UK) = fries (US)
Gymnasium = gym
Police = cops
Coca Cola = Coke
Pop = soda

Written By: 2001 on 04/25/16 at 5:35 pm

Some Internet people don't realize this, but Generation Y = Millennials. They are synonymous, just like

Toadstool = mushroom
Chips (UK) = fries (US)
Gymnasium = gym
Police = cops
Coca Cola = Coke
Pop = soda

You're going to love this Buzzfeed article.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lorynbrantz/we-need-to-talk-about-what-the-fudge-happened-to-ge

Written By: Toon on 04/25/16 at 7:04 pm

http://gif-finder.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Steve-Carell-Facepalm.gif

The lesson of the day, kids, is that you should never go 4Chan expecting to find intelligent people (this coming from a guy who isn't even very smart). Millennials to me are in their early 20s to early 30s. Millennials and Gen Y mean the same. They're just different names similar to how Gen Z can be called Plurals. Also they're insulting people younger than them for being "casual dudebro gamers". What makes this funny is that they're trying to make themselves seem like the older & mature ones. Older/Mature people don't go on websites like 4Chan and call people dudebro casuals just because they're a younger age.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/25/16 at 7:22 pm

It is pretty sad. A lot of the games released tend to star white men (nothing against white men). I've noticed that female characters only really get the playable spotlight in games that allow you to create your own characters such as Dragon Age Inquisition or Sunset Overdrive. But if there is pre-defined character that you can't change then chances are it's a white male.  This confuses me, but I guess since most of the devs in the industry are white men I assume they're just not interested or good at making characters that're in the minority. Gender neutral genres allowed for you to have a female character to be the main hero, but why is it only in gender neutral games and not games with pre-made characters?

The gaming industry this console just is a mess when considering all the crazy things that're happening.

That's something I've noticed overtime. There is mostly white male characters and not many others. One of the exceptions today is CoD: AW which not only has non-white characters, but even females as well. In addition to that, since there is less diversity in gaming overall (which is weird as there is more variety in other categories), it's definitely why the industry is in a huge decline (although it started several years back). I agree with Infinity that I also miss this era along with the 90s and most of the 00s as there was so much to choose from and no one was left out. 

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/25/16 at 7:28 pm

I agree! Both of these games made the FPS genre really popular. Yes, people played Goldeneye, Original Halo, Medal of Honor, Killzone and even the first 3 CoDs; however, they mostly played those FPSes with local multiplayer of friends and family, and the single player campaigns.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/25/16 at 9:15 pm

I agree! Both of these games made the FPS genre really popular. Yes, people played Goldeneye, Original Halo, Medal of Honor, Killzone and even the first 3 CoDs; however, they mostly played those FPSes with local multiplayer of friends and family, and the single player campaigns.

Exactly! It was more about the single player experience back in those days. Hanging out with your pals on the split screen then Modern Warfare and Halo 3 arrived and the focus shifted to online gaming.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/25/16 at 9:46 pm

What's funny is that according to Amazon voters the PS2 is the greatest console.
https://tech4gamers.com/playstation-2-has-been-voted-best-ever-console-by-amazon-users/

I don't really have a problem with the final outcome, but some of these match-up results are just beyond absurd. These stood out to me in particular:

Look, the Dreamcast was a fine console, but there is no way that the SNES shouldn't have topped 90% here. The SNES has arguably the greatest game library of all time, and the Dreamcast wasn't even on the market for two full years.

I love the Genesis, but the NES should have at least made it out of the first round.

I've got to assume that the 17% of people who think that the Wii U is a better console than the PS2 are just trolls, if for no other reason than to keep my dwindling hopes for the future of humanity alive.

As others have said, there's no way this should have been close.

PS for PS4 – 56% / 44%

Same here, except this is even more egregious because the PS4 has barely been out two years.

I can see the N64 winning over the Genesis here, but not by a 24 point margin.

::)

Written By: #Infinity on 04/25/16 at 10:22 pm

Look, the Dreamcast was a fine console, but there is no way that the SNES shouldn't have topped 90% here. The SNES has arguably the greatest game library of all time, and the Dreamcast wasn't even on the market for two full years.

Longevity doesn't mean higher quality. The Dreamcast may not have been commercially successful, but it was still an absolutely revolutionary system for its time and produced a ton of the most beloved video games of its era. I'm personally not that interested in it compared to the Nintendo 64 or PS2, but I do understand why it has such a cult following that even the Saturn can't match.

I love the Genesis, but the NES should have at least made it out of the first round.

There was also a whole lot of crap made for the NES, courtesy mostly of Laughin' Jokin' Numbnuts and a host of amateur third-party studios who obviously didn't know what a video game was supposed to feel like, coming out of the Video Game Crash era.

I've got to assume that the 17% of people who think that the Wii U is a better console than the PS2 are just trolls, if for no other reason than to keep my dwindling hopes for the future of humanity alive.

That, or they're just Nintendo fanboys.

As others have said, there's no way this should have been close.

From the perspective of most folks here, you're right. Sadly, though, gaming's current audience seems to adore the seventh generation. 2007 is considered one of the best years in gaming ever, at least by modern gamers.

Same here, except this is even more egregious because the PS4 has barely been out two years.

Maybe it's graphical bias.

I can see the N64 winning over the Genesis here, but not by a 24 point margin.

It would probably be a lot closer if Sega hadn't been out of the console business for 15 years.

::)

Yet another case of "dudebro" bias. A fair amount of gamers would consider you a pussy or something for liking the SNES due to its appearance and lack of mature games, even though it also contains Super Mario World, Link to the Past, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy III/VI, the Donkey Kong Country Trilogy, Killer Instinct, and Super Metroid.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/25/16 at 10:46 pm

Yet another case of "dudebro" bias. A fair amount of gamers would consider you a pussy or something for liking the SNES due to its appearance and lack of mature games, even though it also contains Super Mario World, Link to the Past, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy III/VI, the Donkey Kong Country Trilogy, Killer Instinct, and Super Metroid.

lol you cracked me up with that statement, but true. This goes for any Nintendo console/handheld in general (except for the N64). It was cool to have a Nintendo console in elementary school and even middle school to an extent too, but I remember the moment I hit high school when almost nobody cared for Nintendo anymore and had already moved onto more mature games on the XBOX and Playstation. Same goes for me. It's considered as uncool to have a Nintendo game high school aged and older because a lot of its games are considered as too kiddy, bright colored, or cartoonish with the same repetitive genres and franchises.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/25/16 at 10:56 pm

Longevity doesn't mean higher quality. The Dreamcast may not have been commercially successful, but it was still an absolutely revolutionary system for its time and produced a ton of the most beloved video games of its era. I'm personally not that interested in it compared to the Nintendo 64 or PS2, but I do understand why it has such a cult following that even the Saturn can't match.

Yeah, you're right. I'll admit that I was letting my own "old school bias" seep into my post there with my SNES love. I think one reason that I've never been that high on the Dreamcast is that I rarely ever played one. They were pretty rare around these parts. I only knew one kid back in the day that actually owned one, so it wasn't a console that I had very much exposure to.

There was also a whole lot of crap made for the NES, courtesy mostly of Laughin' Jokin' Numbnuts and a host of amateur third-party studios who obviously didn't know what a video game was supposed to feel like, coming out of the Video Game Crash era.

This was a tough one for me. I love the Genesis and NES both, but the NES is a slightly more sentimental choice. It's the console I cut my teeth on, especially with SMB1, SMB3 and Metroid. I could see going Genesis, though. You could argue that it has a slightly stronger "bench" from a game library standpoint.

Yeah, it's one of the things I really dislike about modern gaming. At the risk of sounding like my dad, I really feel like some gamers these days are too overly obsessed with a console's graphical prowess and number of "mature" titles when judging it. But, then again, I've never been a big fan of FPS games, so maybe I just don't get it. I've played through Chrono Trigger no less than a thousand times, but I'll probably play thought it a thousand more before I ever finish a single Call of Duty game.

Written By: Toon on 04/25/16 at 11:07 pm

Yeah, the FPS genre really got popular around the time online multiplayer started to get insanely popular. With games such as Goldeneye or Halo it was just friends or family playing together with local play. With online play we now had people playing against millions of other players around the world in 16 player matches instead of just people playing with their family or neighbors in 4 player local matches.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 04/29/16 at 4:47 pm

Here's how each gaming generation became retro as years pass by (usually 20 years/3 generations after the original):

1st generation became retro in the early 1990's
2nd generation became retro in the late 1990's
3rd generation became retro in the early 2000's
4th generation became retro in the late 2000's
5th generation became retro in the mid 2010's
6th generation will become retro in the early 2020's
7th generation will become retro in the late 2020's
8th generation will become retro in the mid 2030's

Time will never stop, so eventually, about 20 years from now, the current gen consoles (PS4, Xbox One and Wii U) will become old school when the 11th gen kicks in.

Written By: Toon on 04/29/16 at 4:59 pm

Here's how each gaming generation became retro as years pass by (usually 20 years/3 generations after the original):

1st generation became retro in the early 1990's
2nd generation became retro in the late 1990's
3rd generation became retro in the early 2000's
4th generation became retro in the late 2000's
5th generation became retro in the mid 2010's
6th generation will become retro in the early 2020's
7th generation will become retro in the late 2020's
8th generation will become retro in the mid 2030's

Time will never stop, so eventually, about 20 years from now, the current gen consoles (PS4, Xbox One and Wii U) will become old school when the 11th gen kicks in.

Sounds about right. I don't remember anyone calling the 4th gen retro until the Wii came out in the late '00s and had the SNES/Genesis virtual consoles. 5th gen I'd argue only became retro in the mid '10s. 6th gen would become retro once the 9th gen consoles around and virtual reality fully takes off. It's pretty much the 20 years and 3 gens later rule.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 04/29/16 at 6:19 pm

Sounds about right. I don't remember anyone calling the 4th gen retro until the Wii came out in the late '00s and had the SNES/Genesis virtual consoles. 5th gen I'd argue only became retro in the mid '10s. 6th gen would become retro once the 9th gen consoles around and virtual reality fully takes off. It's pretty much the 20 years and 3 gens later rule.

Retro Gaming actually started around the early 1990's when the 1st gen consoles became retro. Same thing is going to happen to the 7th gen consoles when the 10th gen kicks in.

Written By: Toon on 04/29/16 at 6:25 pm

Retro Gaming actually started around the early 1990's when the 1st gen consoles became retro. Same thing is going to happen to the 7th gen consoles when the 10th gen kicks in.

Mganavok Odyssy is from 1972. So I can see it being retro around the time the Genesis/SNES came out. 7th gen fully took off in 2006 so around 2026 I'd expect to see some 7th gen retro nostalgia. I'm actually curious on how many console gens we'll before consoles finally end.

Written By: Zelek2 on 04/29/16 at 8:44 pm

I know you don't put much stock into 4chan opinions, but if it's not the 6th generation /v/ believes is where gaming became "casualized", it's the 7th generation. Only this time...I kinda agree with them. ;D

You can kinda see the "diving line" between "old" Nintendo and "new" Nintendo, with their logo change in 2006 from a red logo to a grey one, as well as the release of the Wii. :P

Also, even though they improved since then, the PS3's release kinda marked the end of Sony being a "flawless" force in the gaming industry, instead becoming a bit of a laughingstock.

Written By: Toon on 04/29/16 at 9:06 pm

I know you don't put much stock into 4chan opinions, but if it's not the 6th generation /v/ believes is where gaming became "casualized", it's the 7th generation. Only this time...I kinda agree with them. ;D

You can kinda see the "diving line" between "old" Nintendo and "new" Nintendo, with their logo change in 2006 from a red logo to a grey one, as well as the release of the Wii. :P

Also, even though they improved since then, the PS3's release kinda marked the end of Sony being a "flawless" force in the gaming industry, instead becoming a bit of a laughingstock.

If there is one thing that I've noticed with companies it's that whenever they change the look of their logo that's when all the changes start happening and a new era starts. Companies usually change their logo whenever they want to rebrand or start doing things a bit different. Nintendo changed their logo color the same time the Wii released. And Wii was when people say Nintendo began to focus on the casual crowd. Cartoon Network changed their logo in 2004 and we entered the CN city era. One can analyze an era based on the logo sometimes (but not all the time).

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/29/16 at 9:40 pm

The 6th gen was incredible from 2000-2002 and even from 2003-2006 it was still sick. Those morons at 4chan are the worst! Man, I was browsing the site earlier this week and I saw some super freaky crap. 8-P

Written By: Toon on 04/29/16 at 10:44 pm

The 6th gen was incredible from 2000-2002 and even from 2003-2006 it was still sick. Those morons at 4chan are the worst! Man, I was browsing the site earlier this week and I saw some super freaky crap. 8-P

Me when looking at 4Chan posts
http://new1.fjcdn.com/comments/They+sort+of+can+enwikipediaorg+wiki+ballooning+spider+_593e6f1cf20409ddc4da7e5155be3da9.png

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/29/16 at 11:04 pm

Me when looking at 4Chan posts
http://new1.fjcdn.com/comments/They+sort+of+can+enwikipediaorg+wiki+ballooning+spider+_593e6f1cf20409ddc4da7e5155be3da9.png

Exactly what happened.

Written By: Zelek2 on 04/30/16 at 2:38 pm

2006 I'd say was a very transitional year for gaming. Though there were great 6th generation games like Okami and God Hand being released, there were also games that presaged the downfall such as Sonic 06.

Written By: 2001 on 04/30/16 at 2:44 pm

2006 I'd say was a very transitional year for gaming. Though there were great 6th generation games like Okami and God Hand being released, there were also games that presaged the downfall such as Sonic 06.

I don't know if Okami and God Hand were all that influential. Don't get me wrong, Okami is one of my favourites, but it was a sleeper hit and didn't sell well. The Wii/PS3 and Gears of War release in late 2006, the release of the DS Lite in March were more influential. Wii Sports was a huge seismic shift in gaming.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/30/16 at 2:47 pm

late 2001-2004, 5th gen was AMAZING... 2005-2006 it was still cool, just not like it was before. ;)

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/30/16 at 3:49 pm

16 Competition:

PS4 on the Atari 2600 – 75% / 25%

PS for Wii – 72% / 28%

Xbox 360 for  NGC – 59% / 41%

PS3 for XBox One – 62% / 38%

N64 for Xbox – 71% / 29%

Top 8 competition:

PS for PS4 – 56% / 44%

Top 4 competition:

PS2 on N64 – 66% / 34%

PS for SNES – 63% / 37%

2 Strong competition:

PS2 for PS – 69% / 31%

The all mighty PS2 conquers all.  8) But this is just on Amazon and not everyone on the internet.

I actually agree with all this.
PS2 is king baby!!!!

Written By: Toon on 05/01/16 at 2:57 am

I don't know if Okami and God Hand were all that influential. Don't get me wrong, Okami is one of my favourites, but it was a sleeper hit and didn't sell well. The Wii/PS3 and Gears of War release in late 2006, the release of the DS Lite in March were more influential. Wii Sports was a huge seismic shift in gaming.

2006 was a crazy year and can be seen as the year gaming started to change. 7th gen fully took off during this year. Wii released and so did the PS3. Wii Sports was giving everyone a taste of what the Wii can do. Xbox live was seen as innovative to everyone. PS3 surprising everyone with its horse power and (at the time) super detailed graphics. In gaming 2006 was interesting. Kingdom Hearts 2, Sonic 06, New Super Mario Bros, Half Life 2: Ep 1, Bomberman Act Zero, Sonic Riders, Metroid Prime Hunters, Zelda Twilight Princess, Star Fox Command, Okami and more. Some games were great, others were meh, and some will be forever hated.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/01/16 at 3:36 am

When they've become a thing from so long ago, when they've been part of someone's childhood, I guess terms like "retro" and "old school" can apply to if you feel you must describe it that way. To me I can't see those gaming systems in that light because gaming hasn't revolutionized since then. Think about it, gaming systems before Xboxes, PS2, and Gamecubes were largely 2D and alot of games were side scrolling. The PS4 and Xbox One dominating the market today just have more realistic graphics, but nothing changing gaming itself.

Written By: Toon on 05/01/16 at 3:47 am

When they've become a thing from so long ago, when they've been part of someone's childhood, I guess terms like "retro" and "old school" can apply to if you feel you must describe it that way. To me I can't see those gaming systems in that light because gaming hasn't revolutionized since then. Think about it, gaming systems before Xboxes, PS2, and Gamecubes were largely 2D and alot of games were side scrolling. The PS4 and Xbox One dominating the market today just have more realistic graphics, but nothing changing gaming itself.

N64 and PS1 were mainly 3D. Last consoles to be largely 2D were the Genesis, SNES, and the Saturn. Heck if we look at it this way one could argue that gaming hasn't changed for the past 20+ years now. 

Although we had handhelds such as the GBA which was mainly 2D. And the DS which had tons of 2D games and 3D games that look like they would've been on the N64. I also look at innovations within the industry. Things like the Wii remote and Gamepad along with Nintendo's new direction is what sets the Wii-WiiU apart from the others.  DS had the dual screens. Online gaming alone has had a big effect on gaming. Xbox and Playstation still play the same since the debut of the PS1 in 1994/1995 and the Xbox debut in 2001/2002 gameplay wise.

If we're talking about on how console games play then they haven't changed for 20 years. But Virtual Reality may make changes to this. Other than that the only real change is from the 4th gen to 5th gen due to moving from 2D to 3D, but that's more of a given than anything else.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/01/16 at 4:08 am

N64 and PS1 were mainly 3D. Last consoles to be largely 2D were the Genesis, SNES, and the Saturn. Heck if we look at it this way one could argue that gaming hasn't changed for the past 20+ years now. 

Although we had handhelds such as the GBA which was mainly 2D. And the DS which had tons of 2D games and 3D games that look like they would've been on the N64. I also look at innovations within the industry. Things like the Wii remote and Gamepad along with Nintendo's new direction is what sets the Wii-WiiU apart from the others.  DS had the dual screens. Online gaming alone has had a big effect on gaming. Xbox and Playstation still play the same since the debut of the PS1 in 1994/1995 and the Xbox debut in 2001/2002 gameplay wise.

If we're talking about on how console games play then they haven't changed for 20 years. But Virtual Reality may make changes to this.

I didn't own a PS1, but I know some of the games that would have been third person perspective in a 3D environment in later systems were this weird angle looking down on the characters head. Earlier Final Fantasy games come to mind, and Zelda.

Written By: Zelek2 on 05/01/16 at 4:09 am

2006 was a crazy year and can be seen as the year gaming started to change. 7th gen fully took off during this year. Wii released and so did the PS3. Wii Sports was giving everyone a taste of what the Wii can do. Xbox live was seen as innovative to everyone. PS3 surprising everyone with its horse power and (at the time) super detailed graphics. In gaming 2006 was interesting. Kingdom Hearts 2, Sonic 06, New Super Mario Bros, Half Life 2: Ep 1, Bomberman Act Zero, Sonic Riders, Metroid Prime Hunters, Zelda Twilight Princess, Star Fox Command, Okami and more. Some games were great, others were meh, and some will be forever hated.

I'm preaching to the choir here, but that game was boring af. :P

Written By: Toon on 05/01/16 at 4:18 am

I didn't own a PS1, but I know some of the games that would have been third person perspective in a 3D environment in later systems were this weird angle looking down on the characters head. Earlier Final Fantasy games come to mind, and Zelda.

You mean an isometric view? It's where the camera would have a bit of a bird's eye view and look down at the player's head. Like this
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/aplus/detail-page/B00CFR7VSU_Link_lg.jpg
Some PS1 games did have this look sometimes. But those were mainly in RPGs or tactical games. There are a lot of games nowadays on PC that're in an isometric view. That picture that I've uploaded is from Zelda a Link between worlds which is on the 3DS.  During the PS1 days I think devs were still in a 4th gen mindset which is why some games on the PS1 have that camera angle. Although I don't know why 3D games nowadays use the same camera angle.

Written By: Toon on 05/01/16 at 4:31 am

I'm preaching to the choir here, but that game was boring af. :P

It was. I think it was due to the transition in gaming. Devs figured that since gaming was now all about being edgy and blowing things up then why now make bomberman all edgy.

Written By: Toon on 05/01/16 at 4:39 am

4th to 5th gen was the biggest transition in gaming. Second biggest was from the jump from the 6th to 7th gen.
- Gaming was now in HD
- Online gaming had gotten huge
- DLC/Microtransactions became the norm
- Consoles now have more a use besides just gaming, watching movies, or listening to music as consoles started having apps
- Motion Controls became popular for a while
- DS introduced touch screen controls for handhelds
- Could now purchase games from older consoles through an online store (Wii Shop Channel, Xbox Live Arcade, Playstation Network)
- First console gen without memory cards as USBs or SD cards replaced them

Most of these don't deal with gameplay, but they deal with how consoles and gaming industry has evolved. The 8th gen seems to be just the 7th part 2. 9th gen is probably when VR will fully take off for consoles which is I assume gaming will evolve again. Now first person shooters would actually be first person from your own eyes. Gameplay wise I'm not sure how gaming can evolve (besides VR). Unless gaming went from 3D to 4D....which sounds funny. We've had some 4D games in the past, but none really big or well know. 4D is when you're not just moving in all directions, but you're also manipulating space/time which sounds more a gimmick than a new innovation in gameplay overall, but what do I know.

Video on a 4D game.
vZp0ETdD37E

Written By: yelimsexa on 05/01/16 at 10:46 am

4th to 5th gen was the biggest transition in gaming. Second biggest was from the jump from the 6th to 7th gen.
- Gaming was now in HD
- Online gaming had gotten huge
- DLC/Microtransactions became the norm
- Consoles now have more a use besides just gaming, watching movies, or listening to music as consoles started having apps
- Motion Controls became popular for a while
- DS introduced touch screen controls for handhelds
- Could now purchase games from older consoles through an online store (Wii Shop Channel, Xbox Live Arcade, Playstation Network)
- First console gen without memory cards as USBs or SD cards replaced them

Most of these don't deal with gameplay, but they deal with how consoles and gaming industry has evolved. The 8th gen seems to be just the 7th part 2. 9th gen is probably when VR will fully take off for consoles which is I assume gaming will evolve again. Now first person shooters would actually be first person from your own eyes. Gameplay wise I'm not sure how gaming can evolve (besides VR). Unless gaming went from 3D to 4D....which sounds funny. We've had some 4D games in the past, but none really big or well know. 4D is when you're not just moving in all directions, but you're also manipulating space/time which sounds more a gimmick than a new innovation in gameplay overall, but what do I know.

Video on a 4D game.
vZp0ETdD37E

If I'd rank the transitions from greatest to least, it would be as follows:

-4th to 5th
-6th to 7th
-2nd to 3rd (you can't forget scrolling, password (and even on a few games battery backup save features), the first "world maps", and proper musical soundtracks. Sports games are much better to play in addition)
-5th to 6th (while primitive, online enhancments arrive and the graphics are a noticeable improvement akin to the 3rd to 4th transition, and the premise of a story as opposed to just being a game grows noticeably with voice acting a big improvement here)
-1st to 2nd (cartridges instead of overhead screens, multiple rooms, more colors, and the first super franchises and the "true heyday" of video games)
-3rd to 4th (as big as it seemed back then, it is basically 3rd Generation, part II with some poor transitional experiments towards the next generation)
-7th to 8th

Written By: Howard on 05/01/16 at 3:14 pm

Does anyone see The PS3 being retro and if so, when?  ???

Written By: 2001 on 05/01/16 at 3:16 pm

They still sell PS3 games at the stores, so probably not anytime soon.

Written By: Toon on 05/01/16 at 3:31 pm

If I had to place any rules on consoles being retro one of those would have to be that the console must no longer be available in stores. A console gen cannot be retro until it ends. In order for a console gen to end all the consoles within that gen must be discontinued. Wii discontinued in 2012. Xbox 360 just discontinued this year. But the PS3 is still in stores. Also you can still buy 7th gen games in stores as well.

I'll see the 7th gen as retro probably sometime in the late 2020s or early 2030s. By then gaming would've evolved quite a bit. Console gens such as the 3rd gen became retro in the early 2000s. 4th gen in the late 2000s. 5th gen in the early-mid 2010s. 6th gen will be soon enough. 7th gen sometime in the 2020s. And 8th gen probably in the 2030s/early 2040s.

Man, saying 2020s, 2030s, or 2040s makes me feel weird. They sound awfully futuristic.

Written By: Zelek2 on 05/01/16 at 3:34 pm

It was. I think it was due to the transition in gaming. Devs figured that since gaming was now all about being edgy and blowing things up then why now make bomberman all edgy.

I wouldn't have minded the edginess if the game was fun...but alas, it wasn't. It was very stale and repetitive, and the AI-controlled enemies became WAY too smart and overpowered WAY too fast. Like, by level 10, my ass was getting whopped constantly - and there are supposed to be 100 levels in the game! :o

Written By: Toon on 05/01/16 at 3:40 pm

If I'd rank the transitions from greatest to least, it would be as follows:

-4th to 5th
-6th to 7th
-2nd to 3rd (you can't forget scrolling, password (and even on a few games battery backup save features), the first "world maps", and proper musical soundtracks. Sports games are much better to play in addition)
-5th to 6th (while primitive, online enhancments arrive and the graphics are a noticeable improvement akin to the 3rd to 4th transition, and the premise of a story as opposed to just being a game grows noticeably with voice acting a big improvement here)
-1st to 2nd (cartridges instead of overhead screens, multiple rooms, more colors, and the first super franchises and the "true heyday" of video games)
-3rd to 4th (as big as it seemed back then, it is basically 3rd Generation, part II with some poor transitional experiments towards the next generation)
-7th to 8th

This I agree with 100%.  8) ;D

Written By: Toon on 05/01/16 at 3:42 pm

I wouldn't have minded the edginess if the game was fun...but alas, it wasn't. It was very stale and repetitive, and the AI-controlled enemies became WAY too smart and overpowered WAY too fast. Like, by level 10, my ass was getting whopped constantly - and there are supposed to be 100 levels in the game! :o

The game was too hard for me. I was getting pretty frustrated. Add on the facts that the game was stale, repetitive, and the way that they changed Bomberman it all ended up with me returning the game within 2 days. It's one of the worst games I've ever played.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/01/16 at 4:20 pm

Huh...?? Bomberman is a kids game, why did you two have so much trouble with it!?

Written By: Toon on 05/01/16 at 5:49 pm

Huh...?? Bomberman is a kids game, why did you two have so much trouble with it!?

We're not just talking about any old Bomberman. Nope! We're talking about Bomberman Act Zero!
http://media.gamestats.com/gg/image/object/771/771985/BombermanActZero_USBOX_Mrated.jpg
Look how dark and edgy this guy looks. This game is not for kids.
8dU37OLKzUI

Written By: 2001 on 05/01/16 at 5:50 pm

Bomberman was one of my favourite games on the NES.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/01/16 at 5:55 pm

We're not just talking about any old Bomberman. Nope! We're talking about Bomberman Act Zero!
http://media.gamestats.com/gg/image/object/771/771985/BombermanActZero_USBOX_Mrated.jpg
Look how dark and edgy this guy looks. This game is not for kids.
8dU37OLKzUI

Oh... I thought you guys were complaining about how dark, edgy and difficult this game was:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3e/Bomberman_Land_Wii.JPG

Never heard of Bomberman Act Zero, though.

Bomberman was one of my favourite games on the NES.

Yeah, that one was fun! The one on the SNES was good, too.

Written By: 2001 on 05/01/16 at 5:58 pm

Yeah, that one was fun! The one on the SNES was good, too.

Didn't play that one... It looks the same ad the NES version.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/01/16 at 6:00 pm

Didn't play that one... It looks the same ad the NES version.

Super Bomberman had more features if I remember correctly.

Written By: Toon on 05/01/16 at 6:06 pm

Super Bomberman had more features if I remember correctly.

I only played Bomberman 64, Bomberman Tournament, Bomberman Jetters, and Bomberman Max. Enjoyed the series, but was never the biggest fan of it.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/01/16 at 6:09 pm

I only played Bomberman 64, Bomberman Tournament, Bomberman Jetters, and Bomberman Max. Enjoyed the series, but was never the biggest fan of it.

Me too. I like some of the games but it's not my favorite, either. I'm glad I never played Act Zero 'cause it looks like sh!t.

Written By: Howard on 05/02/16 at 4:21 pm

They still sell PS3 games at the stores, so probably not anytime soon.

I would give it another decade.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 05/02/16 at 7:06 pm

I would give it another decade.

By the time the year 2020 comes, the PS3 would already been discontinued a few years earlier, the PS4 would start to lose popularity because the PS5 is set to be released that same year.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/17/16 at 2:02 pm

From the perspective of most folks here, you're right. Sadly, though, gaming's current audience seems to adore the seventh generation. 2007 is considered one of the best years in gaming ever, at least by modern gamers.

Maybe it's graphical bias.

It would probably be a lot closer if Sega hadn't been out of the console business for 15 years.

Yeah modern day gamers think the industry is just fine.... That boggles my mind,I can see it now that this industry's future is in big BIG trouble.

Written By: #Infinity on 05/17/16 at 5:54 pm

Yeah modern day gamers think the industry is just fine.... That boggles my mind,I can see it now that this industry's future is in big BIG trouble.

I was particularly baffled when, in one of their last top 10 videos before shutting down, Game Trailers called 2015 the fifth greatest year in gaming!  :o

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ru6bB9ZQlHY

You see, this is what happens when the gaming community is so homogenous that they don't even notice the lack of genre diversity, praising all the generic shooters and cutscene-driven titles with nothing exciting or groundbreaking about them. Years like 1991 and 1987 actually significantly impacted the legacy of gaming (as did 1996 and 2004; why the hell are those years omitted?). 2015 was just feeding into typical dudebro culture, with an additional nod to Splatoon (essentially the closest thing Nintendo will ever have to a Call of Duty clone). I know there were a lot of titles from that year that you personally enjoyed, but it still shouldn't be anywhere close to this list, much less in the top 5. At least they still rightfully acknowledge the two best years in gaming.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/17/16 at 6:23 pm

I was particularly baffled when, in one of their last top 10 videos before shutting down, Game Trailers called 2015 the fifth greatest year in gaming!  :o

You see, this is what happens when the gaming community is so homogenous that they don't even notice the lack of genre diversity, praising all the generic shooters and cutscene-driven titles with nothing exciting or groundbreaking about them. Years like 1991 and 1987 actually significantly impacted the legacy of gaming (as did 1996 and 2004; why the hell are those years omitted?). 2015 was just feeding into typical dudebro culture, with an additional nod to Splatoon (essentially the closest thing Nintendo will ever have to a Call of Duty clone). I know there were a lot of titles from that year that you personally enjoyed, but it still shouldn't be anywhere close to this list, much less in the top 5. At least they still rightfully acknowledge the two best years in gaming.

At least they picked 2007, 2001, 1997, and 1998 as their final four. Though I could agree that 1996 and 2004 should be included on that list. Just take 2013 and 2015, and then you're set. I mean, has anybody even realized that 1996 brought us the greatest ending for any video game era? The Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo were still cool, even if they were dying off that year. Hell, the Nintendo 64 had the coolest launch titles in any console. Same with having Pokemon debuted in Japan, which gave a new era to RPGs. Same with 2004. It brought us GTA: San Andreas, Pokemon Firered & Leafgreen, Super Mario 64 DS (along with the release of the Nintendo DS), World of Warcraft, Paper Mario: TTYD, and Mario Party 6. Were these people living under rocks the whole time they played video games?

Written By: bchris02 on 05/17/16 at 9:21 pm

If you were a PC gamer, no year in gaming history topped 2004.

I think Gamecube already is kind of "retro."  As for PS2, PS3, etc, people born after 2000 might remember them like I remember the NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, etc.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/18/16 at 12:30 am

At least they picked 2007, 2001, 1997, and 1998 as their final four.

Where's Slowpoke at?  ;D

Written By: mqg96 on 05/18/16 at 12:31 am

Glad to see that 2007 for gaming got the love it supposed to as well. A year that gave us Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and Super Mario Galaxy? You have got to be kidding me!

Also, I agree with the others, where the heck were 1996 & 2004 on the list? Those were very important years for the gaming industry!

Written By: d90 on 05/18/16 at 12:41 am

I dont see the PS2, Xbox and Gamecube as classic like i see consoles like the Sega Genesis, Nintendo 64, Snes Nes and Atari as classic. Gaming in the era of ps2 xbox and gamecube is quite similar to today with some differences. Both today and then Sony and Microsoft tend to dominate as far as videogames go.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/18/16 at 12:45 am

I dont see the PS2, Xbox and Gamecube as classic like i see consoles like the Sega Genesis, Nintendo 64, Snes Nes and Atari as classic. Gaming in the era of ps2 xbox and gamecube is quite similar to today with some differences. Both today and then Sony and Microsoft tend to dominate as far as videogames go.

Personally, I still consider 5th & 6th generation gaming as similar to each other. While this current generation we're in is more similar to 7th, now I can agree that the second half of 6th generation through the first half of 7th generation was transitional for the industry, but that doesn't mean that 6th generation as a whole is similar to the state of gaming we're in today. Online gaming didn't get big until the start of 7th generation which really changed the industry IMO.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/18/16 at 12:46 am

I was particularly baffled when, in one of their last top 10 videos before shutting down, Game Trailers called 2015 the fifth greatest year in gaming!

You see, this is what happens when the gaming community is so homogenous that they don't even notice the lack of genre diversity, praising all the generic shooters and cutscene-driven titles with nothing exciting or groundbreaking about them. Years like 1991 and 1987 actually significantly impacted the legacy of gaming (as did 1996 and 2004; why the hell are those years omitted?). 2015 was just feeding into typical dudebro culture, with an additional nod to Splatoon (essentially the closest thing Nintendo will ever have to a Call of Duty clone). I know there were a lot of titles from that year that you personally enjoyed, but it still shouldn't be anywhere close to this list, much less in the top 5.

2015 was just another regular year of the 8th gen era. The year kinda sucked, ''cough ''cough'' Iwata....

With the way Nintendo is heading, Dudebro gaming culture is going to be here for a LONG LONG time. and it's a damn shame, the industry SUCKS. If you had told me 15 years ago, when I was a die hard fan of the N64 I would have called you CRAZY! But we're sadly to that point.... :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(
Looking back now, long term SEGA leaving the market was the WORST thing to EVER happen to the industry. I loved the XBOX 360, but other than that Microsoft BLOWS!!!!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/18/16 at 12:47 am

Personally, I still consider 5th & 6th generation gaming as similar to each other. While this current generation we're in is more similar to 7th, now I can agree that the second half of 6th generation through the first half of 7th generation was transitional for the industry, but that doesn't mean that 6th generation as a whole is similar to the state of gaming we're in today. Online gaming didn't get big until the start of 7th generation which really changed the industry IMO.

This. 6th gen, particularly the first half(late 2001-2004) was just like the 5th generation.

Written By: Zelek2 on 05/18/16 at 1:27 am

The 5th and 6th generation are basically "twins" in how similar they are, as are the 1st&2nd, 3rd&4th, and 7th&8th gens.

Written By: #Infinity on 05/18/16 at 4:22 am

This. 6th gen, particularly the first half(late 2001-2004) was just like the 5th generation.

The graphics were much, much better, though.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/18/16 at 11:26 am

What in the actual... :o

I literally laughed out loud (until I cried) when I saw 2015 ahead of 1991. 2015 is better than a year that had Super Mario World, Final Fantasy IV, Sonic the Hedgehog, Tecmo Super Bowl, Turtles IV and Street Fighter II?! In what world?

1996 and 2004 should both have definitely been on there. I feel like people have somewhat forgotten just how great 2004 was for gaming. I mean, Metroid Prime 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, GTA: San Andreas, Jak 3, Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal, Halo 2, and that's just on the console front. 2013 was okay, but can you seriously tell me that it had a better slate of games than that?

Also, allow me to make a quick argument for the inclusion of 1994 on the list. You had Final Fantasy VI, Donkey Kong Country, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Super Metroid, Earthworm Jim, and Mega Man X just off the top of my head. '94 was basically the year that turned me into the gamer I am today. I'd put it in over 2005 any day of the week.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/18/16 at 12:06 pm

I literally laughed out loud (until I cried) when I saw 2015 ahead of 1991. 2015 is better than a year that had Super Mario World, Final Fantasy IV, Sonic the Hedgehog, Tecmo Super Bowl, Turtles IV and Street Fighter II?! In what world?

1996 and 2004 should both have definitely been on there. I feel like people have somewhat forgotten just how great 2004 was for gaming. I mean, Metroid Prime 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, GTA: San Andreas, Jak 3, Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal, Halo 2, and that's just on the console front. 2013 was okay, but can you seriously tell me that it had a better slate of games than that?

Also, allow me to make a quick argument for the inclusion of 1994 on the list. You had Final Fantasy VI, Donkey Kong Country, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Super Metroid, Earthworm Jim, and Mega Man X just off the top of my head. '94 was basically the year that turned me into the gamer I am today. I'd put it in over 2005 any day of the week.

I think it's safe to say that the people who made the list don't know a lot about gaming. I mean, who in their right minds would believe that 2013 and 2015 are great years for video games? I know that they aren't hardcore gamers, but it's just rather awkward to say that one year from the 2010s are good, gaming-wise. Unless you were really little at the time, and they grew up with iPads. It's kinda lame to me, but it's not like we could discourage their interests.

Written By: Howard on 05/18/16 at 2:35 pm

If you were a PC gamer, no year in gaming history topped 2004.

I think Gamecube already is kind of "retro."  As for PS2, PS3, etc, people born after 2000 might remember them like I remember the NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, etc.

I think Gameboy is already "retro". It's been 27 years since it's debut.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/18/16 at 2:42 pm

Howard the Gameboy has BEEN retro! ;D For bout 7 years! ;)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/18/16 at 2:46 pm

I felt like every game released on the Game Boy was retro to me around 2009. I guess it's because that's the year I started to play the games, and every game released from 1989 to 1998/9 were pretty old to me.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/18/16 at 3:27 pm

Also, Howard you realize he was talking bout the gamecube, and not gameboy right? ??? ;D

Written By: Howard on 05/18/16 at 3:29 pm

It celebrated 27 years last month. :o

Written By: Howard on 05/18/16 at 3:30 pm

Also, Howard you realize he was talking bout the gamecube, and not gameboy right? ??? ;D

Sorry I was in a retro mood.

Written By: #Infinity on 05/18/16 at 4:31 pm

I will say that while they aren't really my thing, I can understand why 2007 and even 2013 are considered some of the best years in gaming. The former especially produced a lot of long-lasting franchises in a lot of genera; even though a great deal of its standout titles were FPS's, there were still a lot of games that pushed creative boundaries, such as Portal, Super Mario Galaxy, and Rock Band. 2013 is probably the best that this decade of gaming will ever be, with a solid balance of worthwhile games from every company.

2015, however, I will never understand as even a remotely good year for gaming. I want to believe that the crew at Game Trailers was just desperately ploying to make people had more reason to visit their website. Just the fact, though, that they claim there were plenty of great games no matter what type of gamer you are just has me rolling my eyes in disbelief. I especially love how they specifically overdub the line "the sheer amount of quality titles across every genre is staggering and ensures that no matter what your preference is, there is something outstanding to play" over clips of two consecutive FPS's. The whole entry sure comes off as condescending, to say the least, considering only the most stereotypical dudebros would find great games from 2015 no matter what they like. I guess I would probably enjoy The Witcher 3 and Bloodborne if I had an 8th-gen system, but not for the "gritty realism," and I doubt they'd really feel groundbreaking enough to put 2015 on the same level as 1991.

In fact, 2015 is in my bottom 3, with only 1984 and 2012 being worse. '84 produced absolutely nothing to save the crumbling industry from the Video Game Crash of 1983, while 2012 was just overall extremely dry, producing a lot of disappointing entries from anticipated franchises and seeing the botched up launch for the Wii U. 1995 isn't the best year in gaming either, due to both the Saturn's atrocious launch, as well as the Virtual Boy, but it's saved by quality SNES games like Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Earthbound, and Chrono Trigger.

When they originally did the list eight years ago, 1992, 1999, and 1983 were on the list instead of 2002, 2013, and 2015. So even back then, before the site was dying, they ignored 1994, 1996, and 2004! Although to be fair, 1999 was a fantastic year in gaming and outranks most entries on both lists, at least by my own personal tastes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxYRXqzqG3k

Conversely, here was WatchMojo's take on the subject. Though they also rank some of the newer years higher than I think is warranted, their list is far more accurate regardless; and yes, they do include 1996 and 2004.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udJdidUuaNQ

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/19/16 at 10:37 am

The only time "2015" and "good gaming year" go together in a sentence is if "was not" is in between them.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 05/20/16 at 7:01 pm

It will be interesting to see Xbox One, PS4, Wii U and NX being considered retro by the time we get to the 11th generation in the 2030's and the Xbox 6, PS7 and a new console by a different manufacturer is released by that point. Due to the failure of the Wii U and the possible failure of the NX, I don't think Nintendo would make anymore consoles after the 8th generation ends in 2020.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/20/16 at 9:50 pm

It will be interesting to see Xbox One, PS4, Wii U and NX being considered retro by the time we get to the 11th generation in the 2030's and the Xbox 6, PS7 and a new console by a different manufacturer is released by that point. Due to the failure of the Wii U and the possible failure of the NX, I don't think Nintendo would make anymore consoles after the 8th generation ends in 2020.

Nintendo can easily avoid that but the company continues to make stupid decisions.

Written By: Howard on 05/21/16 at 7:22 am

So how long do you think they'll continue with these "generations" before they stop making consoles altogether?  ???

Written By: muppethammer26 on 05/21/16 at 9:28 am

So how long do you think they'll continue with these "generations" before they stop making consoles altogether?  ???

I'll give at least 20 more years before video games lose popularity, if that ever happens, and we will most definitely have the 9th gen, the 10th gen and the 11th gen, but I don't think they will ever stop making consoles, unless something happens.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/21/16 at 10:58 am

I'll give at least 20 more years before video games lose popularity, if that ever happens, and we will most definitely have the 9th gen, the 10th gen and the 11th gen, but I don't think they will ever stop making consoles, unless something happens.

Maybe PC gaming would beat their asses, since consoles nowadays are pieces of sh*t.

Written By: 2001 on 05/21/16 at 2:08 pm

I really liked 2007 in gaming even though it isn't my favourite. Even if you don't like it, you have to admit it was easily one of the most revolutionary years in gaming, for better or for worse. So much changed that year, it was the year that set up the rest of the 7th and 8th gen.

Written By: Howard on 05/21/16 at 2:21 pm

kids today still play video games and that includes me, I'm 42 years old and still love playing them.  :) I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/21/16 at 2:23 pm

I really liked 2007 in gaming even though it isn't my favourite. Even if you don't like it, you have to admit it was easily one of the most revolutionary years in gaming, for better or for worse. So much changed that year, it was the year that set up the rest of the 7th and 8th gen.

I loved 2007 for gaming too, especially since it was the year online gaming was in full effect which was revolutionary since hardly anyone had experienced it before. 2007 gave us huge titles like Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Super Mario Galaxy, and Assassin's Creed.

Written By: Howard on 05/21/16 at 2:48 pm

What year did they start with the DLC of characters for the video games? ???

Written By: 2001 on 05/21/16 at 2:52 pm

What year did they start with the DLC of characters for the video games? ???

2006 I think. Dead or Alive 4 and Virtua Fighter 5 had DLC characters, if I remember correctly.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/21/16 at 8:38 pm

Could this be considered as retro now?

18656n8rcSg kg6IoATvugk

5YfEw31zgZ8 Tysz2krlagI

Written By: muppethammer26 on 05/21/16 at 8:52 pm

18656n8rcSg 5YfEw31zgZ8

Y_HXh-BU-dI Tysz2krlagI

Still not yet to be considered retro. Maybe around the early 2020's.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/21/16 at 9:55 pm

18656n8rcSg kg6IoATvugk

5YfEw31zgZ8 Tysz2krlagI

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas look the closest.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/21/16 at 10:04 pm

Here are the top 10 game consoles list!that watchmojo made! :o
qArENnPlRLE

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/21/16 at 10:05 pm

18656n8rcSg kg6IoATvugk

5YfEw31zgZ8 Tysz2krlagI

Nah, not yet; probably the early 2020s... Retro is suppose to be old but cool, the 6th gen as GREAT as it was, it is still kinda dated not retro.

Written By: #Infinity on 05/22/16 at 12:34 am

Here are the top 10 game consoles list!that watchmojo made! :o
qArENnPlRLE

The Wii and maybe the 360 are higher than they deserve (ahead of the PS1?), but it's otherwise a fairly accurate list.

Written By: 2001 on 05/22/16 at 10:16 am

Is it weird that I see the Gameboy Advance as retro but not the other sixth generation systems? I remember that even as far back as 2009, when me and my friends got out the subway station and there was this kid waiting for a bus playing his OG GBA, and when we saw him, me and my friends looked at each other like "damn, that kid's cool." ;D

I think it's because it's a 2D system, and that the original GBA was run on AA batteries and had no backlit screen. Or maybe I'm in the minority in thinking that it's retro? What do you guys think?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/22/16 at 12:35 pm

Is it weird that I see the Gameboy Advance as retro but not the other sixth generation systems? I remember that even as far back as 2009, when me and my friends got out the subway station and there was this kid waiting for a bus playing his OG GBA, and when we saw him, me and my friends looked at each other like "damn, that kid's cool." ;D

I think it's because it's a 2D system, and that the original GBA was run on AA batteries and had no backlit screen. Or maybe I'm in the minority in thinking that it's retro? What do you guys think?

I always thought the Game Boy Advance looked more retro than the other sixth generation consoles. Sure, it does look early-mid 2000s to me, but not in the same level as the Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, or the Dreamcast. It looks more like a graphically updated Game Boy, since it uses cartridges and runs on AA batteries.

Written By: Howard on 05/22/16 at 2:51 pm

2006 I think. Dead or Alive 4 and Virtua Fighter 5 had DLC characters, if I remember correctly.

Then they put prices on them.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 05/22/16 at 2:59 pm

Then they put prices on them.

They also locked parts of a completed game disc so they can sell the "DLC" key to unlock the missing parts. They do this only to make extra money.

Written By: Howard on 05/22/16 at 3:39 pm

They also locked parts of a completed game disc so they can sell the "DLC" key to unlock the missing parts. They do this only to make extra money.

like they say "nothing's for free".

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/22/16 at 7:01 pm

The Wii and maybe the 360 are higher than they deserve (ahead of the PS1?), but it's otherwise a fairly accurate list.

IMO, The NES doesn't deserve to be above PS2 or SNES; those are the two GOAT systems. 360 I agree with over PS1, but not the Wii. and watchmojo cheated by including hanhelds. Then again this was before the honorable mentions, they need to updated the list.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/22/16 at 7:09 pm

SNES > Everything else Nintendo has ever done.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/22/16 at 7:09 pm

IMO, The NES doesn't deserve to be above PS2 or SNES; those are the two GOAT systems. 360 I agree with over PS1, but not the Wii. and watchmojo cheated by including handhelds. Then again this was before the honorable mentions, they need to updated the list.

I think the biggest problem with the Wii looking back, was that it focused on casual gamers too much with the motion control games (in which true/core gamers thought the controller was awful) which caused the other games or franchises to be the weakest incarnations in Nintendo history. As much as I enjoyed playing my Wii back in the late 2000's, the Mario platform games (like Galaxy 1 & 2), New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and Smash Bros. Brawl were the only games worth buying for the console. Compared to another Nintendo consoles, that's very little. Now the Mario platform games for the Wii were better than the Gamecube, but the Gamecube had more variety of other franchises for the console itself. Plus better incarnations as well. I'll give the Wii credit for the ability to play Gamecube games on there and allow DLC to get NES, SNES, & N64 games too. Those were some of the only positives about the console. It's amazing how the Nintendo DS and 3DS has outdone the Wii and Wii U in so many aspects the last 10 years!

Written By: mqg96 on 05/22/16 at 7:15 pm

That's a respectful opinion when it comes to the gaming console and the library overall, but when it comes to the Mario platform & kart games, the SNES was certainly NOT the best though. When it comes to Nintendo, I think the NES, N64, DS, and Wii had the best Mario platform games. The Gamecube debatably had the best Smash Bros. and Kart games of the series. Keep in mind, this is coming from a person who only cared about Nintendo for Mario related games growing up. XBOX/Playstation I cared about for almost all the most popular franchises.

Written By: #Infinity on 05/22/16 at 7:33 pm

IMO, The NES doesn't deserve to be above PS2 or SNES; those are the two GOAT systems. 360 I agree with over PS1, but not the Wii. and watchmojo cheated by including hanhelds. Then again this was before the honorable mentions, they need to updated the list.

The NES isn't technically the best system, but it set such an important precedent and saved the entire gaming industry from utter annihilation. The PS2 and SNES were both excellent systems, but they were still building upon a foundation that previous systems had set and didn't single-handedly save gaming from extinction. That's exactly why WatchMojo ranked 1985 as the second best year in gaming, although it really wasn't until 1986 that the NES and Super Mario Bros. rescued video games, since it was only in autumn of that year that the system got a wide release.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/22/16 at 8:57 pm

To be fair, the SNES and N64 are nowhere as classics as the NES, Gamecube, Wii, and Wii U.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/22/16 at 9:02 pm

To be fair, the SNES and N64 are nowhere as classics as the NES, Gamecube, Wii, and Wii U.

The SNES isn't as classic as the Wii and Wii U!? Huh?? ???

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/22/16 at 9:13 pm

The SNES isn't as classic as the Wii and Wii U!? Huh?? ???

I meant that the SNES and N64 are nowhere as classics as the other Nintendo consoles.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/22/16 at 9:21 pm

I meant that the SNES and N64 are nowhere as classics as the other Nintendo consoles.
Are you serious? :o  ???. How are they less classics than the Wiis?

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/22/16 at 9:22 pm

Both of those systems are legendary, though. The Wii relied on gimmicks and declined pretty quickly after the wow factor wore off. Both the SNES and N64 are hailed as classics to this day.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/22/16 at 9:58 pm

Incorrect, the SNES and N64 are classics without a doubt which were some of the best Nintendo consoles for its time, especially the N64 which was the most mature Nintendo console of all time.

The Wii and Wii U are definitely NOT classics. Too recent. The Wii may have had great Mario games but overall as a console for true gamers it was one of the worst consoles since it mostly appealed to casual gamers with the motion controls and a lot of mediocre series for franchises.

The Gamecube.... barely qualifies, but that's saying a lot since it was an underrated console with lots of great variety of games, but it was discontinued a little too soon. 

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/23/16 at 7:00 am

Incorrect, the SNES and N64 are classics without a doubt which were some of the best Nintendo consoles for its time, especially the N64 which was the most mature Nintendo console of all time.

The Wii and Wii U are definitely NOT classics. Too recent. The Wii may have had great Mario games but overall as a console for true gamers it was one of the worst consoles since it mostly appealed to casual gamers with the motion controls and a lot of mediocre series for franchises.

The Gamecube.... barely qualifies, but that's saying a lot since it was an underrated console with lots of great variety of games, but it was discontinued a little too soon.

I meant the Snes and N64 are classics, compared to Nintendo's other consoles. That was a mistake I made.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/23/16 at 7:01 am

I made a mistake. I didn't meant to say that the SNES and N64 weren't classics compared to Nintendo's other consoles.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/23/16 at 9:50 am

I made a mistake. I didn't meant to say that the SNES and N64 weren't classics compared to Nintendo's other consoles.

Make sure you edit your comment then if that's what you meant  :o :)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/23/16 at 10:01 am

Make sure you edit your comment then if that's what you meant  :o :)

Yeah. I didn't meant to have my post like that.

Written By: Howard on 05/23/16 at 2:39 pm

The Atari 2600 is classic!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/23/16 at 6:10 pm

Ah, I understand now. I was about to say ;D. Yeah, no worries. We make errors all the time.

The Atari 2600 is classic!
More like ancient ;)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/23/16 at 7:11 pm

More like ancient ;)

I think he said it as a classic, since he grew up with the Atari 2600. It's not like he find it as ancient, compared to us who were born in the 90s.

Written By: KevinR1990 on 05/23/16 at 9:06 pm

In my opinion, at least, the sixth generation of gaming (PS2, Xbox, GameCube) is already retro. My gaming nostalgia is for the late PS1/N64 era and for the PS2, with everything before 1997 being pretty much a blur. Those three consoles were with me from first grade (1996-97) through my sophomore year of high school (2005-06). My first foray into "retro" gaming was buying a used PS2 at an independent games store and perusing their selection, and while I was there, also buying some PS1 games that my PS3 was still backwards compatible with. I was never a fan of online multiplayer, hence why so many popular games nowadays leave me kind of frosty; the sixth generation being the last one before online really took over "AAA" gaming probably factors into my nostalgia.

That said, I do like that my PS3 and now PS4 can do Netflix and Hulu.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/23/16 at 9:56 pm

I agree. Actually, the SNES gets my vote for greatest console of all-time. That game library is the only one (in my opinion) that can top the PS2. I mean, Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts, Tecmo Super Bowl, Turtles IV, Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, FF6, Secret of Mana, Super Mario Kart, Donkey Kong Country, F-Zero, Mega Man X, Chrono Trigger, A Link to the Past, Earthbound, my god what a time to be kid just getting into gaming!

I actually just started another new game on Final Fantasy V last week. Even after 24 years, I still play my SNES more than I do my PS4! ;D

That's a respectful opinion when it comes to the gaming console and the library overall, but when it comes to the Mario platform & kart games, the SNES was certainly NOT the best though. When it comes to Nintendo, I think the NES, N64, DS, and Wii had the best Mario platform games. The Gamecube debatably had the best Smash Bros. and Kart games of the series. Keep in mind, this is coming from a person who only cared about Nintendo for Mario related games growing up. XBOX/Playstation I cared about for almost all the most popular franchises.

It's all a matter of opinion, of course, but the SNES has not just my favorite Mario game, but also my favorite overall video game of all-time.

http://www.juicygamereviews.com/uploads/3/0/5/0/30501048/5824848_orig.gif

Written By: mqg96 on 05/23/16 at 10:08 pm

It's all a matter of opinion, of course, but the SNES has not just my favorite Mario game, but also my favorite overall video game of all-time.

http://www.juicygamereviews.com/uploads/3/0/5/0/30501048/5824848_orig.gif

Oh yeah, NOTHING against Super Mario World, I love that game including the Advance 2 version as well, but when it comes to most Mario games overall. I'd still pick the ones the N64 or Wii offered. For example, I prefer Mario Kart 64, Double Dash, and Wii over Super Mario Kart. I prefer the original Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. 3 for the NES over Super Mario World, despite the Super Mario World final boss being real epic with Bowser inside that flying thing or whatever you called it. I also didn't like the Yoshi Island game series as well, whether it was the original from the SNES or the DS version. The N64 and Wii having Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 were huge factors as well. Not to mention during the SNES there was no Smash Bros. game yet, and my favorite games from the Smash Bros. series were Melee and Brawl. That's just me though, now when it comes to the full library of Nintendo games overall then I can fully understand why the SNES was debatably the best Nintendo console of all time, especially for 2-D gaming when 3-D graphics weren't still around yet.

If you want to know, here are my favorite SNES games (my experience was playing the remakes on the Gameboy Advance or the Wii virtual console)

http://images2.gamenguide.com/data/images/full/7403/super-mario-world.jpg

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/nintendo/images/d/da/Super_Mario_All-Stars_(NA).png/revision/latest?cb=20120528182243&path-prefix=en

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/5_LSByp8IWI/maxresdefault.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9b/SNES_F-Zero_boxart.jpg

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/23/16 at 10:29 pm

Oh yeah, NOTHING against Super Mario World, I love that game including the Advance 2 version as well, but when it comes to most Mario games overall. I'd still pick the ones the N64 or Wii offered. For example, I prefer Mario Kart 64, Double Dash, and Wii over Super Mario Kart. I prefer the original Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. 3 for the NES over Super Mario World, despite the Super Mario World final boss being real epic with Bowser inside that flying thing or whatever you called it. I also didn't like the Yoshi Island game series as well, whether it was the original from the SNES or the DS version. The N64 and Wii having Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 were huge factors as well. Not to mention during the SNES there was no Smash Bros. game yet, and my favorite games from the Smash Bros. series were Melee and Brawl. That's just me though, now when it comes to the full library of Nintendo games overall then I can fully understand why the SNES was debatably the best Nintendo console of all time, especially for 2-D gaming when 3-D graphics weren't still around yet.

I see where you're coming from. I prefer Mario Kart 64 over Super Mario Kart as well, with the newest game in that series, Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U, as my favorite overall. I do love Yoshi's Island, but those games are somewhat divisive within the Mario fanbase, so I can understand not being a fan.

Also, just so people don't think I'm a complete 2D gaming elitist, I take absolutely nothing away from the Super Mario Galaxy series. For as much as I love me some 2D Mario, Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 are both amazing games that I wasted many an hour playing back in the late '00s/early '10s.

If you want to know, here are my favorite SNES games (my experience was playing the remakes on the Gameboy Advance or the Wii virtual console)

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/nintendo/images/d/da/Super_Mario_All-Stars_(NA).png/revision/latest?cb=20120528182243&path-prefix=en

Great list. Believe it or not, I never actually owned Donkey Kong Country for myself. Despite my best efforts, I could never get my parents to buy it for me. The funny thing is, I rented that game from Movie Gallery so many times during the mid '90s that my parents actually would've saved money if they'd just given it to me for my birthday like I wanted. ;D

Written By: Howard on 05/24/16 at 2:43 pm

Ah, I understand now. I was about to say ;D. Yeah, no worries. We make errors all the time.
More like ancient ;)

Yes, over 40 years ago.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/24/16 at 2:52 pm

I think he said it as a classic, since he grew up with the Atari 2600. It's not like he find it as ancient, compared to us who were born in the 90s.
I know. I was playing ;D

Yes, over 40 years ago.
You got that right! ;D

Those are my favorites as well :) except for F-Zero since I never had it :(.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/24/16 at 3:03 pm

Did any you guys play these games?

http://images.nintendolife.com/games/snes/addams_family_values/cover_medium.jpg

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/nintendo/images/6/68/Indiana_Jones_Greatest_Adventures_(NA).jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130702000512&path-prefix=en

http://img.gamefaqs.net/box/1/6/2/48162_front.jpg

http://www.loveroms.com/assets/data/super-nintendo/51374front-13257.jpg

http://www.lukiegames.com/assets/images/SNES/snes_nba_jam_p_e24i15.jpg

I have a funny story about Indiana Jones. I was able to pass every level until I got to the mine cart and somehow, I could not pass it. I tried so many times and kept on failing it. I was so frustrated that I gave up >:( :(. Then, I was going to give it another chance after sometime passed to complete the mine cart level and all of a sudden, it disappeared :(, so I was never able to finish it.

Written By: Howard on 05/24/16 at 3:27 pm

Did any you guys play these games?

http://images.nintendolife.com/games/snes/addams_family_values/cover_medium.jpg

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/nintendo/images/6/68/Indiana_Jones_Greatest_Adventures_(NA).jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130702000512&path-prefix=en

http://img.gamefaqs.net/box/1/6/2/48162_front.jpg

http://www.loveroms.com/assets/data/super-nintendo/51374front-13257.jpg

http://www.lukiegames.com/assets/images/SNES/snes_nba_jam_p_e24i15.jpg

I have a funny story about Indiana Jones. I was able to pass every level until I got to the mine cart and somehow, I could not pass it. I tried so many times and kept on failing it. I was so frustrated that I gave up >:( :(. Then, I was going to give it another chance after sometime passed to complete the mine cart level and all of a sudden, it disappeared :(, so I was never able to finish it.

I think I remember playing Addams Family Values. ???

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/24/16 at 3:38 pm

I think I remember playing Addams Family Values. ???
The theme song is very catchy and memorable.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/24/16 at 9:33 pm

I agree. Actually, the SNES gets my vote for greatest console of all-time. That game library is the only one (in my opinion) that can top the PS2. I mean, Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts, Tecmo Super Bowl, Turtles IV, Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, FF6, Secret of Mana, Super Mario Kart, Donkey Kong Country, F-Zero, Mega Man X, Chrono Trigger, A Link to the Past, Earthbound, my god what a time to be kid just getting into gaming!

I actually just started another new game on Final Fantasy V last week. Even after 24 years, I still play my SNES more than I do my PS4! ;D

We can both agree SNES and PS2 are the kings. and yeah I play my PS2 more than my PS4 dude!! ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Howard on 05/25/16 at 2:53 pm

The theme song is very catchy and memorable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llaOumrnJRU

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/04/16 at 6:41 pm

As I've mentioned before, I still find it rather odd how by 2005, 1995 games were considered pretty "retro" (well, mostly the fourth gen consoles like the SNES, Genesis, etc. released in the early-mid 90s - stuff from the mid-late 90s like N64 or PS1 wasn't retro yet), but now that it's 2016, nobody says 2005 games are retro. ???

Likewise, in 2005, I remember people calling cartoons from 1995 (i.e. Freakazoid, Gargoyles) "retro". But in 2016, not many people consider cartoons from 2005 like Camp Lazlo or Juniper Lee "retro" (except for a few Facebook and YouTube comments).

Written By: violet_shy on 08/04/16 at 7:05 pm

Omg, I use to have all of these! Still do I think somewhere in storage probably. I believe these will become retro someday. I'm all gaming nostalgic now! Thanks a lot people!!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/04/16 at 8:38 pm

As I've mentioned before, I still find it rather odd how by 2005, 1995 games were considered pretty "retro" (well, mostly the fourth gen consoles like the SNES, Genesis, etc. released in the early-mid 90s - stuff from the mid-late 90s like N64 or PS1 wasn't retro yet), but now that it's 2016, nobody says 2005 games are retro. ???

Well, many people find the old 3D GTA games to be retro, and they were from 2001-2006.

Likewise, in 2005, I remember people calling cartoons from 1995 (i.e. Freakazoid, Gargoyles) "retro". But in 2016, not many people consider cartoons from 2005 like Camp Lazlo or Juniper Lee "retro" (except for a few Facebook and YouTube comments).

Well, it's the Internet. What did you expect?

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/04/16 at 8:39 pm

That's because those people are idiots. The problem with the "retro" label is the annoying double standard. Some shows are called "retro" once they turn 10 years while others aren't for some reason. Double Standard.

As for games it took 5th gen quite a long time for it to be seen as retro. N64/PS1 became retro sometime in 2013/14. It's always 3 gens behind. I don't remember anyone calling 5th gen games as retro in the 2000s. The 2 decade rule and 3 gens rule apply to one another. 2 Decade is 20 years. 3 consoles gens takes about 18-21 years. Whatever decade has the mainstream nostalgia is the one that people see as "retro". Early 2000s is part of that nostalgia wave as of 2016 (or at least that's what it seems like) and I see a lot of people call 2000-2002/3 games such as Smash Melee, Sonic Adventure 2, Conker's Bad Fur day, Zelda MAjora's Mask, Paper Mario, Metroid PRime, Jak  and Daxter, Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, Kingdom Hearts, Final fantasy 10, Halo, GTA 3 etc as retro quite a lot. Early 6th gen (1999-2002/3) seems to be labeled as "retro" by some. And by the 9th console gen I'd be many. Especially with the rise of new Consoles and VR gaming.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/04/16 at 8:56 pm

It's pretty understandable for the video games, I think. By 2005, 16-bit games like Super Mario World and Sonic the Hedgehog already seemed massively outdated when compared to stuff like Halo 2 and GTA: San Andreas. Also, the Xbox 360 launched later that year as well, which made the gaming scene of 1995 only seem more primitive by comparison. On the other hand, the top games of 2005 (Resident Evil 4, God of War, etc.) certainly look dated by PlayStation 4 standards, but it's just fundamentally not the same difference as the shift from 2D to 3D.

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/04/16 at 9:34 pm

On second thought, it also seems to be understandable for the cartoons as well.

By 2005, most cartoons were being done in digital paint and ink, which made the hand-drawn shows of 1995 seem very dated. However, by 2016, cartoons look pretty much the same as they did in 2005, with the same digital look.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/04/16 at 11:01 pm

Oh don't worry, they will be retro in a few more years. I mean right now, the 7th gen consoles are already 10 years old and over and by 2020, they will all be 15 or close to it considering that everything from the 00s not only will it be seen as recent anymore, but very outdated as well.

As for the cartoons, it will happen. Trust me on that. If you noticed, many shows from around that era are mainly forgotten and I don't see them being mentioned in most discussions. I mean, who here still remembers cartoons like Catscratch, Atomic Betty, Brandy & Mr. Whiskers?

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/04/16 at 11:28 pm

Oh don't worry, they will be retro in a few more years. I mean right now, the 7th gen consoles are already 10 years old and over and by 2020, they will all be 15 or close to it considering that everything from the 00s not only will it be seen as recent anymore, but very outdated as well.

Don't see what's to worry about. ;) If something isn't considered retro, I won't really lose sleep over it.

I've mentioned this before, but I go on 4chan's /v/ and /vr/ boards often (yes, I know 4chan is mostly garbage, but they do sometimes have some good discussions, or even a few funny jokes). There - especially on /vr/ -, they seem to be staunchly opposed to the 6th gen ever being considered "retro", as they believe games from that era (like Halo) marked the beginning of gaming's "casualization", "dudebro"-ization, and "appeal to mass media idiots". :P

But if I go on any other gaming forum, they don't have too many qualms with the 6th gen being retro. Either 4chan is the lone bastion of sanity in the gaming community, or it's one idiot in a crowd of smart people. :P

And funny thing is, Jordan is older than these guys (they're mostly 20-somethings), but he doesn't have any qualms with 2000-2006 games! ;)

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/05/16 at 1:21 am

Early 6th gen (1999-2002/3) seems to be labeled as "retro" by some. And by the 9th console gen I'd be many.

One grip with your comment.... Early 6th gen would be 2001-2003/04ish. Late 5th gen was 1999-2001.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 08/05/16 at 1:33 am

Don't see what's to worry about. ;) If something isn't considered retro, I won't really lose sleep over it.

I've mentioned this before, but I go on 4chan's /v/ and /vr/ boards often (yes, I know 4chan is mostly garbage, but they do sometimes have some good discussions, or even a few funny jokes). There - especially on /vr/ -, they seem to be staunchly opposed to the 6th gen ever being considered "retro", as they believe games from that era (like Halo) marked the beginning of gaming's "casualization", "dudebro"-ization, and "appeal to mass media idiots". :P

But if I go on any other gaming forum, they don't have too many qualms with the 6th gen being retro. Either 4chan is the lone bastion of sanity in the gaming community, or it's one idiot in a crowd of smart people. :P

And funny thing is, Jordan is older than these guys (they're mostly 20-somethings), but he doesn't have any qualms with 2000-2006 games! ;)

One of the only few good things about 2004-2006 was the video games.

Early 6th gen (1999-2002/3)

I agree with this statement on what the early 6th generation of gaming is.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/05/16 at 1:36 am

I agree with this statement on what the early 6th generation of gaming is.

I find that strange that you do. The Dreamcast had no impact sales wise. 5th gen was still pretty much the standard until the second half of 01.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/05/16 at 1:42 am

Also Jordan I'm curious to know what's late 5th gen to you.....
Cause to me Late 1996-1998 was early. and 1999-2001 was late.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 08/05/16 at 1:49 am

I find that strange that you do. The Dreamcast had no impact sales wise. 5th gen was still pretty much the standard until the second half of 01.

Impact or not, it still existed which means it's the beginning of an era no matter how you wanna spin it.
After the Christmas 2000 season, the N64 was pretty much near death since the sales dropped hard and Nintendo almost always abandons their systems early on. Also, Sony was focusing more and more on the PS2. Really, 5th gen was clearly going out of standard by time the PS2 came out in late 2000 (which competed with the N64 during said Christmas season) but more noticeably all throughout 2001 due to the N64's lack of presence.

Also Jordan I'm curious to know what's late 5th gen to you.....
Cause to me Late 1996-1998 was early. and 1999-2001 was late.

I'd say 2000-2002 is late since the PS1 was still going on pretty strong (even if it was the only one left) but it was clear that after the PS2 was released that a new monster had entered the game.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/05/16 at 1:54 am

Impact or not, it still existed which means it's the beginning of an era no matter how you wanna spin it.
After the Christmas 2000 season, the N64 was pretty much near death since the sales dropped hard and Nintendo almost always abandons their systems early on. Also, Sony was focusing more and more on the PS2. Really, 5th gen was clearly going out of standard by time the PS2 came out in late 2000 (which competed with the N64 during said Christmas season) but more noticeably all throughout 2001 due to the N64's lack of presence.

Eh... IMO when the Gamecube and XBOX came out was the true start of 6th. ::)
PS2 was a monster after holiday season of 2000 thanks to it being a DVD player basically. ;D  In terms of games however, holiday season of 2001 was when it became a must buy(SSX Tricky, Final Fantasy 10, Jak and Daxter, MGS 2, WWF Just Bring it, GTA 3 etc.), even tho I didn't get it until a year 1/2 later. ;)

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/05/16 at 2:01 am

After the Christmas 2000 season, the N64 was pretty much near death since the sales dropped hard and Nintendo almost always abandons their systems early on.  Really, 5th gen was clearly going out of standard by time the PS2 came out in late 2000 (which competed with the N64 during said Christmas season) but more noticeably all throughout 2001 due to the N64's lack of presence.

I'd say 2000-2002 is late since the PS1 was still going on pretty strong (even if it was the only one left)

It's a damn shame that Nintendo gave up on the N64 early. They could have still made games until 2003 like sony did with the PS1. I guess sales caused them to shift gears.
But yeah N64 pretty much died in mid 2001 in terms of games. Even though I continued playing it until 2003. ::)

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/05/16 at 2:06 am

There was a grand total of one N64 game made in 2002, and the console itself wasn't discontinued until 2003... but I don't think that really counts.

2001 was the system's last "real" year.

The PS1 also wasn't discontinued until 2006, but its last "real" year was probably 2001 as well.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 08/05/16 at 2:08 am

Eh... IMO when the Gamecube and XBOX came out was the true start of 6th. ::)
PS2 was a monster after holiday season of 2000 thanks to it being a DVD player basically. ;D  In terms of games however, holiday season of 2001 was when it became a must buy(SSX Tricky, Final Fantasy 10, Jak and Daxter, MGS 2, WWF Just Bring it, GTA 3 etc.), even tho I didn't get it until a year 1/2 later. ;)

Well, true start is kinda subjective, eh? ;) ;D
Yeah, that's definitely one of the reasons but games like DOA2, SSX, Tekken Tag, Street Fight EX3 plus the countless sports games did have a lot of hype during it's launch. I don't recall anybody still buying N64-related items in after that season, either. Maybe young kids but with the upcoming older gaming crowd (for example, guys who just entered the part-time working field and now have their own money to spend) it was all about the PS2. Some people still hung on to the PS1 'til 2003 and bought new games for it but the PS2 truly became the star of the show.

It's a damn shame that Nintendo gave up on the N64 early. They could have still made games until 2003 like sony did with the PS1. I guess sales caused them to shift gears.
But yeah N64 pretty much died in mid 2001 in terms of games. Even though I continued playing it until 2003. ::)

It totally is. Thing is, the system was almost dead by time we hit 2001. Even early '01 with games like Conkers, which now is a cult classic, flopped real hard when it first came out and was a huge, huge business failure like most N64 games after the 2000 Christmas season. 

There was a grand total of one N64 game made in 2002, and the console itself wasn't discontinued until 2003... but I don't think that really counts.

2001 was the system's last "real" year.

I've made my argument. I don't even think 2001 counts for the N64 because of how bad it flopped around. :P

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/05/16 at 2:35 am

I don't recall anybody still buying N64-related items in after that season, either. Maybe young kids but with the upcoming older gaming crowd  it was all about the PS2. Some people still hung on to the PS1 'til 2003 and bought new games for it but the PS2 truly became the star of the show.

It totally is. Thing is, the system was almost dead by time we hit 2001. Even early '01 with games like Conkers, which now is a cult classic, flopped real hard when it first came out and was a huge, huge business failure like most N64 games after the 2000 Christmas season. 

Well ya caught me. I was one of those ''young kids'' in 2001 and 2002 that still purchased N64 items.  ;D 
and yeah I still loyally played my N64 until I was in 1st grade. I've said this before but my mom wouldn't let me have PS2 until I was officially a grade schooler! >:( >:(  she thought I was too young, only being 6 during the 2001 holiday season.
Being a little kid then, N64 was still alive and well to me... well until 2002. ;D

Written By: Howard on 08/05/16 at 7:11 am

Omg, I use to have all of these! Still do I think somewhere in storage probably. I believe these will become retro someday. I'm all gaming nostalgic now! Thanks a lot people!!

Are you going to bring one of them out to play one day?

Written By: Howard on 08/05/16 at 7:13 am

I'm older than Jordan and I don't have qualms about 2000-2006 games.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/05/16 at 8:30 am

Well ya caught me. I was one of those ''young kids'' in 2001 and 2002 that still purchased N64 items.  ;D 
and yeah I still loyally played my N64 until I was in 1st grade. I've said this before but my mom wouldn't let me have PS2 until I was officially a grade schooler! >:( >:(  she thought I was too young, only being 6 during the 2001 holiday season.
Being a little kid then, N64 was still alive and well to me... well until 2002. ;D

The thing is. I was 5 for most of Kindergarten and 6 for most of 1st grade! So I wondered if my mom would have let me get in PS2 at age 6 then, but I didn't know about video games back then, even though I saw those on commercials. I only cared about racing games on the computer for awhile like hot wheels or the racing games on shockwave. There were a lot of rated E for everyone games for the PS2 as well, and if the N64 was the most mature Nintendo console according to a lot of people, then I'm sure there were M rated games for that then. I don't see a difference lol! My first console was the Gamecube for my 7th birthday anyway, so....

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/05/16 at 12:31 pm

On second thought, it also seems to be understandable for the cartoons as well.

By 2005, most cartoons were being done in digital paint and ink, which made the hand-drawn shows of 1995 seem very dated. However, by 2016, cartoons look pretty much the same as they did in 2005, with the same digital look.

Digital Ink and Paint has nothing to do with it. By that logic 2005 cartoons would apparently still be seen as "recent" even in 2068 or something. Digital ink or Traditional ink doesn't matter. Especially since people see 1990's Disney movies as retro despite those also using Digital ink and paint (something that most people don't seem to know for some reason). Disney stopped using Traditional Ink and Paint with Little Mermaid in 1989. Yet everyone still labels 1990-1999 Disney movies as "retro". It's all a double standard I tell ya.

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/05/16 at 12:37 pm

In 1999/2000 Dreamcast was seen as very successful. And 1998/1999 is when the 6th gen officially starts. If we're talking peak 6th gen years it's 2001-2006 onward. But if we're talking full span 6th gen years it's 1998-2012/13 (Dreamcast is the early starter and PS2 is the late ender).

Same for 5th gen. It's from 1993-2005 in full span, but 1996-2001 in peak years. 3DO is the early starter with the PS1 as the late ender.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/05/16 at 1:10 pm

Digital Ink and Paint has nothing to do with it. By that logic 2005 cartoons would apparently still be seen as "recent" even in 2068 or something. Digital ink or Traditional ink doesn't matter. Especially since people see 1990's Disney movies as retro despite those also using Digital ink and paint (something that most people don't seem to know for some reason). Disney stopped using Traditional Ink and Paint with Little Mermaid in 1989. Yet everyone still labels 1990-1999 Disney movies as "retro". It's all a double standard I tell ya.

That's something I did not know about Disney. So I guess most of their movies from the 90s to present are just the same. I could tell that most of their Renaissance movies were somehow digital. The Lion King, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Mulan, Tarzan, Hunchback of Notre Dame, and Pocahontas all seem to look very new compared to The Little Mermaid. It just looks like their movies from the early-mid 2000s (this includes the direct-to-DVD sequels).

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/05/16 at 1:18 pm

That's something I did not know about Disney. So I guess most of their movies from the 90s to present are just the same. I could tell that most of their Renaissance movies were somehow digital. The Lion King, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Mulan, Tarzan, Hunchback of Notre Dame, and Pocahontas all seem to look very new compared to The Little Mermaid. It just looks like their movies from the early-mid 2000s (this includes the direct-to-DVD sequels).

Yep! Disney used a system/software known as "CAPS" (Computer Animation Production System) which allowed for digital ink and paint in their movies. It was designed to cheapen the cost of the animation process. Traditional Ink and Paint Cel animation was quite expensive, but Disney realized that they can cheapen the process without reducing "feel" or "quality" with digital ink and paint.

Here is a list of movies that Disney used it on:
The Little Mermaid (1989) (ending scene)
The Rescuers Down Under (1990)
Beauty and the Beast (1991)
Aladdin (1992)
The Lion King (1994)
Pocahontas (1995)
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996)
Hercules (1997)
Mulan (1998)
Tarzan (1999)
Fantasia 2000 (1999)
The Emperor's New Groove (2000)
Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001)
Lilo & Stitch (2002)
Treasure Planet (2002)
Brother Bear (2003)
Home on the Range (2004)

They soon ditched the CAPS software as it was becoming outdated. When they went back to 2D Animation with Princess and the Frog they used a new/updated software.

So when people like to say that Digital Ink and Paint and Traditional Ink and Paint makes a difference I never really believe it. Especially since Disney (Who is a BIG deal when it comes to animation) ditched traditional ink and paint by the end of the 1980s.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/05/16 at 2:46 pm

Well they're dumb! One day, all those consoles will be retro whether they like it or not. Right now, all of them are 15 and over and the Dreamcast is pushing 20! Like I said, they will definitely be retro in a few more years.

In 1999/2000 Dreamcast was seen as very successful. And 1998/1999 is when the 6th gen officially starts. If we're talking peak 6th gen years it's 2001-2006 onward. But if we're talking full span 6th gen years it's 1998-2012/13 (Dreamcast is the early starter and PS2 is the late ender).

Same for 5th gen. It's from 1993-2005 in full span, but 1996-2001 in peak years. 3DO is the early starter with the PS1 as the late ender.
And the 4th generation which actually began in 1987 and ended in 1999 (that's when the SNES was discontinued)

That's because the console itself only had 300 games throughout its span. I can understand the whole piracy thing which is why they still went with cartridges, but in the end it was a fatal mistake costing them to make more games and the competition.

Well, true start is kinda subjective, eh? ;) ;D
Yeah, that's definitely one of the reasons but games like DOA2, SSX, Tekken Tag, Street Fight EX3 plus the countless sports games did have a lot of hype during it's launch. I don't recall anybody still buying N64-related items in after that season, either. Maybe young kids but with the upcoming older gaming crowd (for example, guys who just entered the part-time working field and now have their own money to spend) it was all about the PS2. Some people still hung on to the PS1 'til 2003 and bought new games for it but the PS2 truly became the star of the show.

I must be in between then because while I was still playing my N64 during that era, I was upgrading to all the 6th generation home consoles. First, I had the Dreamcast in 2000 (I think) and then in 2002, I got the others around the same time.

Yeah, that's right! I had every console as soon the 6th generation went in full force ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...