inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Can I say something about anti-gay culture in the 2000s?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/21/16 at 4:47 pm

I know I said this back in Slowpoke's 2010s thread, but I just wanna say this. I was only a KID back in the 2000s. Sure, I known about mainstream culture in the late 2000s, but that doesn't mean I approved of anti-gay culture back then. Barely anybody mentioned what homosexuality was to me back then, and kid culture didn't even care back then. I think if you watched South Park or any other show back in the 2000s, then you'll know what it is. However, I didn't really care. Even to this day, I'm neutral over LGBT rights and politics. I never actually paid attention about gay people being married until the early 2010s, when it was getting popular in the United States. I know some people would disagree with me on this, but that's just my thoughts.

Subject: Re: Can I say something about anti-gay culture in the 2000s?

Written By: 2001 on 03/21/16 at 5:17 pm

I don't think anyone was accusing you of anything :o

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/21/16 at 5:23 pm

I don't think anyone was accusing you of anything :o

Okay. But I was just giving out my point to everybody.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/22/16 at 12:24 pm

I love the '00s as much as anybody, but, yeah, it was pretty terrible back then. There's no point in sugarcoating it. I was in high school from 2001-2005, which was basically "ground zero" when it came to anti-gay sentiment. Hell, people were probably even less accepting then than they were in the early '90s. George W. Bush actually made it alot worse in 2004 by turning gay marriage into such a major campaign issue, even though, in the end, it did help him get re-elected. I remember even more kids getting picked on for "acting gay" after it got turned into such a huge national discussion.

Actually, I think Columbine played a role in this, too. At least around where I went to school, there was this misconception that the so-called "trenchcoat mafia" were gay, so pretty much any kid that was thought of as being gay, or was goth, or even played video games too much, was ostracized for a while after that. Back in those days, being "different" was definitely not celebrated in the same way it is today. :(

Written By: Slim95 on 03/22/16 at 4:33 pm

People were less accepting of others in the 00's compared to both the 90s and 2010's no doubt. I love the 00's, but there is no denying it was a very racist and homophobic decade. Even I noticed that as a kid. The 00's were horrible for social issues. The 2010's are much better for that which I like. But having said that, the 00's are still the best decade.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/22/16 at 4:37 pm

People were less accepting of others in the 00's compared to both the 90s and 2010's no doubt. I love the 00's, but there is no denying it was a very racist and homophobic decade. Even I noticed that as a kid. The 00's were horrible for social issues. The 2010's are much better for that which I like. But having said that, the 00's are still the best decade.

Racism, as in Islamophobia or something like that? Conservatives thought most Muslims were terrorists during the 2000s. And homophobia was pretty obvious during the 2000s.

Written By: 2001 on 03/22/16 at 6:05 pm

Racism, as in Islamophobia or something like that? Conservatives thought most Muslims were terrorists during the 2000s. And homophobia was pretty obvious during the 2000s.

There was a lot of anti-Hispanic racism in the US in the 2000s from what I remember. In 2004 there was scapegoating of illegal immigrants for the high unemployment rate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_Protection,_Anti-terrorism_and_Illegal_Immigration_Control_Act_of_2005

I don't think the 2010s are any less racist than the 2000s, probably more if anything, but not sure how to quantify that.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/22/16 at 6:14 pm

There was a lot of anti-Hispanic racism in the US in the 2000s from what I remember. In 2004 there was scapegoating of illegal immigrants for the high unemployment rate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_Protection,_Anti-terrorism_and_Illegal_Immigration_Control_Act_of_2005

I don't think the 2010s are any less racist than the 2000s, probably more if anything, but not sure how to quantify that.

Wow. I'm not that surprised, since America is still focused on blaming illegal immigrants for jobs and sh*t. Especially when Donald f*cking Trump saying that he'll build a wall in the US-Mexico borders, because of illegal immigrants.

Written By: 2001 on 03/22/16 at 6:17 pm

Wow. I'm not that surprised, since America is still focused on blaming illegal immigrants for jobs and sh*t. Especially when Donald f*cking Trump saying that he'll build a wall in the US-Mexico borders, because of illegal immigrants.

Well, yeah, it's not a new excuse. People want someone else to blame for their shortcomings and the person who speaks a foreign language is an easy target.

Written By: popguru85 on 03/22/16 at 9:40 pm

I remember Eminem's Marshall Mathers LP getting a lot of attention for very homophobic lyrics and the Dudebro culture mentality didn't really help things much.

Check for new replies or respond here...