inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Walt Disney Gold Collection

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 03/22/16 at 9:26 pm

The Walt Disney Gold Collection was a series of VHS and DVD releases of animated Disney films, similar to the Walt Disney Classics and Walt Disney Masterpiece Collections that preceded it. The series notably also featured the first home video releases of Make Mine Music and Saludos Amigos (although content from these two was cut).

The DVDs were similar in content to the failed Limited Issue DVDs, to the point that the Gold Collection DVDs for Pinocchio, Hercules, and Mulan were actually reissues of those films' Limited Issue DVDs. Most of the DVDs contained a few bonus features in the form of interactive read-alongs, trivia games, and sing-alongs, though some also contained making-of featurettes and bonus cartoon shorts.

Each wave of Gold Collection videos and DVDs were released on select days of each month from January 3, 2000 through March 20, 2001. However, due to subpar sales as a result of too many videos in the series being released all at once, Disney discontinued the line afterward. As a result, later releases with similar content and cover designs were not labeled as Gold Collection videos.

Many of the films released in the Gold Collection have since been released on DVD again, some as part of the Walt Disney Platinum Editions (and its successor series, the Walt Disney Diamond Editions) or as individual "special edition" DVDs. As of 2015, Make Mine Music, Melody Time, and A Goofy Movie are the only films released in the series that have not been given new DVD releases since then.

The Spirit of Mickey and So Dear to My Heart were apparently going to be re-released as part of the Gold Collection (as seen on a trailer for the collection on various videos), but these videos were never released. The Hunchback of Notre Dame and Oliver & Company were also planned to be included but were cut from the collection and instead released as stand-alone videos without the "Gold Collection" banner. So Dear to My Heart was eventually released on DVD as a Disney Movie Club exclusive.

wua0Sgjpj-I http://www.cheap-disneydvds.net/images/The-Adventures-of-Ichabod-and-Mr.Toad-Walt-Disney-Gold-Classic-Collection_1.jpg

Overall, I LOVED these during my peak childhood years, they were just as good as my ALMIGHTY and PRECIOUS Walt Disney Masterpiece Collection!  :D I wished they had kept making these until 2003.

Did you guys own any of these when you guys were still little? ???  I thought they were a DAMNED good collection follow up! :)

Subject: Re: Walt Disney Gold Collection

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 03/22/16 at 9:28 pm

I've just always wondered why the sales were starting to decline?!!

Written By: Toon on 03/22/16 at 10:08 pm

I've just always wondered why the sales were starting to decline?!!

Curious on why the sales declined as well. My guess are
1) People already owned the movies and didn't want to buy it again
2) Disney didn't market them well enough
3) People just weren't interested in some of them

I enjoyed the Disney Gold Collection as I own every single one except for Pocahontas (never liked that movie) and Black Cauldron (to me it's the worst Disney movie). Now as wanting the Disney Gold Classic Collection to go up until 2003 it sort of did....unofficially. You see there were movies that released after the collection was discontinued yet still had the Gold Collection appearance/design on them which made them look as if they were a part of the collection. There was Dumbo in 2001. Peter Pan, Hunchback, Oliver and Company and the Great Mouse Detective in 2002. And the Rescuers in 2003. 2000-2001 is the span of the official releases. 2002-2003 is the span of the unofficial releases. One could say that it went from 2000-2003 (you could choose to ignore the 2002-2003 movies if you wish). My favorite of the official releases was A Goofy Movie, Toy Story, and Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas. As for the unofficial releases I loved the Great Mouse Detective and the Great Rescuers. I also had The Spirit of Mickey, but I do wonder why they never put it as in the Walt Disney Gold Collection.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 03/22/16 at 10:25 pm

Curious on why the sales declined as well. My guess are
1) People already owned the movies and didn't want to buy it again
2) Disney didn't market them well enough
3) People just weren't interested in some of them

I enjoyed the Disney Gold Collection as I own every single one except for Pocahontas (never liked that movie) and Black Cauldron (to me it's the worst Disney movie). Now as wanting the Disney Gold Classic Collection to go up until 2003 it sort of did....unofficially. You see there were movies that released after the collection was discontinued yet still had the Gold Collection appearance/design on them which made them look as if they were a part of the collection. There was Dumbo in 2001. Peter Pan, Hunchback, Oliver and Company and the Great Mouse Detective in 2002. And the Rescuers in 2003. 2000-2001 is the span of the official releases. 2002-2003 is the span of the unofficial releases. One could say that it went from 2000-2003 (you could choose to ignore the 2002-2003 movies if you wish). My favorite of the official releases was A Goofy Movie, Toy Story, and Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas. As for the unofficial releases I loved the Great Mouse Detective and the Great Rescuers. I also had The Spirit of Mickey, but I do wonder why they never put it as in the Walt Disney Gold Collection.

Yeah I own the 2002 Hunchback, Oliver and Company, Peter Pan, Rescuers, and Great Mouse DVDs. But I NEVER knew that they were basically a continuation of the gold collection! ;D  But it NEVER made sense why they never released Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Bambi, Lady and the Tramp, Sleeping Beauty, Jungle Book, Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Lion King, on Gold DVD

Here's what Disney SHOULD HAVE DONE....
Only released the Gold Collection on DVDs ONLY
They should have went all out and released a Cinderella, Snow White, Bambi, Lady and the Tramp, Sleeping Beauty, Sound of Music,  Jungle Book, Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Lino king etc. etc.
Marketed them on tv more and more; I rarely saw promos of them on tv.

Disney COMPLETELY fudgeed up this release, it was NEAR perfect imo. If only it had been a DVD exclusive ONLY, and re released all of their movies then it would have been a success.

Written By: Toon on 03/22/16 at 10:49 pm

Yeah I own the 2002 Hunchback, Oliver and Company, Peter Pan, Rescuers, and Great Mouse DVDs. But I NEVER knew that they were basically a continuation of the gold collection! ;D  But it NEVER made sense why they never released Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Bambi, Lady and the Tramp, Sleeping Beauty, Jungle Book, Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Lion King, on Gold DVD

Here's what Disney SHOULD HAVE DONE....
Only released the Gold Collection on DVDs ONLY
They should have went all out and released a Cinderella, Snow White, Bambi, Lady and the Tramp, Sleeping Beauty, Sound of Music,  Jungle Book, Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Lino king etc. etc.
Marketed them on tv more and more; I rarely saw promos of them on tv.

Disney COMPLETELY fudgeed up this release, it was NEAR perfect imo. If only it had been a DVD exclusive ONLY, and re released all of their movies then it would have been a success.

Your idea sounds good to me. They should have put tons of the Golden age and Renaissance movies in the collection. Probably would've gotten more people interested. And instead of having it on VHS only they should've had it on DVD (or both as in the early '00s there was still millions of people with a VHS, but the DVD market was also growing at the time). I also wish they marketed the movies on DVD more as I only knew about the collection from a 1 tv promo and magazine promo. Re-releasing all the old movies for a new audience to experience them was a fantastic idea to me. Especially back in the early '00s where I was Disney obsessed. Between 2000-2003 there was the new (at the time) Disney movies such as Emperor's New Groove, Atlantis, Lilo and Stich, and Treasure Planet. I also enjoyed Disney Channel as it was during its Zoog disney era. All the old Disney movies were going on VHS/DVD (Gold Collection or the Renaissance movies when they were still seen as recent movies). Disney's 1 Saturday Morning was still airing. Toon Disney was still in its good years by airing old Disney movies, classic shorts, Disney afternoon shows, and 1 Saturday Mornning shows. And there was also the release of Kingdom Hearts which I loved. Between 2000-2003 it's safe to say that I was obsessed with Disney was there was so much happening at the time.

Back on the Gold Collection. To me it would've been amazing if they were able to add even more movies to the collection. Heck some of those movies were just compilation of the classic shorts. The Spirit of Mickey was a compilation of 11 classic mickey mouse shorts and it would've been awesome if they a ton of these compilations as a part of the Gold Collection. But I'm with you on saying that the collection was nearly perfect. If only Disney didn't screw it up.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 03/22/16 at 11:25 pm

Your idea sounds good to me. They should have put tons of the Golden age and Renaissance movies in the collection. Probably would've gotten more people interested. And instead of having it on VHS only they should've had it on DVD (or both as in the early '00s there was still millions of people with a VHS, but the DVD market was also growing at the time). I also wish they marketed the movies on DVD more as I only knew about the collection from a 1 tv promo and magazine promo. Re-releasing all the old movies for a new audience to experience them was a fantastic idea to me. Especially back in the early '00s where I was Disney obsessed. Between 2000-2003 there was the new (at the time) Disney movies such as Emperor's New Groove, Atlantis, Lilo and Stich, and Treasure Planet. I also enjoyed Disney Channel as it was during its Zoog disney era. All the old Disney movies were going on VHS/DVD (Gold Collection or the Renaissance movies when they were still seen as recent movies). Disney's 1 Saturday Morning was still airing. Toon Disney was still in its good years by airing old Disney movies, classic shorts, Disney afternoon shows, and 1 Saturday Mornning shows. And there was also the release of Kingdom Hearts which I loved. Between 2000-2003 it's safe to say that I was obsessed with Disney was there was so much happening at the time.

Back on the Gold Collection. To me it would've been amazing if they were able to add even more movies to the collection. Heck some of those movies were just compilation of the classic shorts. The Spirit of Mickey was a compilation of 11 classic mickey mouse shorts and it would've been awesome if they a ton of these compilations as a part of the Gold Collection. But I'm with you on saying that the collection was nearly perfect. If only Disney didn't screw it up.

Not including the spirit of mickey on the gold collection was INSULTING and INEXCUSABLE! Were they drunk or high when they were making these decisions?  I personally think Disney got COCKY and thought they were kings of the world, so they felt they could do whatever they wanted and get away with it. Well... they found out the hard way soon after.

Written By: Toon on 03/23/16 at 12:05 am

Not including the spirit of mickey on the gold collection was INSULTING and INEXCUSABLE! Were they drunk or high when they were making these decisions?  I personally think Disney got COCKY and thought they were kings of the world, so they felt they could do whatever they wanted and get away with it. Well... they found out the hard way soon after.

That usually tends to be the downfall of a company/eras. Disney got cocky after their successful Renaissance movies. Then the started doing strange things make direct-to-video sequels. All of which were given criticism for being poorly made compared to the original Renaissance films. As for their theatrical movies they started doing odd things as well and the result is obvious in some of the Post-Renaissance movies. And I wish the Spirit of Mickey was released as I don't see a single good reasons as to not have a compilation of classic cartoons featuring their mascot in the gold collection. Disney can be stupid at times. At least nowadays they're doing better. But I just wish they never went downhill in the first place due to their cockiness.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 03/23/16 at 12:16 am

You put Nintendo got cocky instead of Disney! ;D ;D ;D  But it's no biggie. ;)

Written By: Toon on 03/23/16 at 2:45 am

You put Nintendo got cocky instead of Disney! ;D ;D ;D  But it's no biggie. ;)

Oh snap! How on earth did that happen?!  :o I fixed it.  ;D Now I feel silly. We talk about Disney and I end up saying Nintendo for some strange reason.  :-\\

Heh, but anyways it's nice to see that I'm not the only one who has good memories of the Walt Disney Gold Collection movies. 8)

Check for new replies or respond here...