inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Was N64 the last good local multilayer console?

Written By: 2001 on 03/27/16 at 12:11 pm

For the N64 we had Mario Kart 64, Goldeneye, Mario Party series, Star Fox 64, Super Smash Bros., Banjo Tooie, Diddy Kong Racing, Pokemon Stadium etc. You know I could go on all day.

The carried on the tradition a bit but after 2003 or so, it followed the PS2 in focusing on mostly single player games.

Was anyone else not a fan of this shift? My favorite game this decade has been Just Dance. Whenever my friends come over we have a blast playing that game, but it seems games like that are a rarity nowadays with most games concentrating on online multiplayer, or cinematic single player experiences.

Subject: Re: Was N64 the last good local multilayer console?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/27/16 at 12:24 pm

Well, there was the Gamecube and Wii, which had a fair-amount of good multiplayer games.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/27/16 at 12:26 pm

Everything after the Gamecube, Xbox and of course... The mighty PS2 sucks.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/27/16 at 12:31 pm

So pretty much 2006 or 2007 is your cutoff?

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/27/16 at 12:31 pm

So pretty much 2006 or 2007 is your cutoff?

Yeah, roughly around then.

Written By: 2001 on 03/27/16 at 12:34 pm

Well, there was the Gamecube and Wii, which had a fair-amount of good multiplayer games.

The Wii is weird. Its success was built off almost entirely on party games, but its online component made people not want to play locally. I remember asking a few of my friends if they want to come over to play Mario Kart or Strikers Charged and they'd always say how they can just play it online.

The Gamecube started off well (Melee, Mario Kart, y'know the staples, the Mario Parties were mediocre) as I've said. But towards the end it seemed to have lost the plot.

The PS2 killed local multiplayer.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/27/16 at 12:38 pm

The PS2 killed local multiplayer.

Not until 3/4 years after it came out maybe.

Written By: 2001 on 03/27/16 at 12:40 pm

Not until 3/4 years after it came out maybe.

It was trying to kill it the moment it came out, but it took four years to finish the job. :P

Only two controllers... it was a tragedy.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/27/16 at 12:43 pm

It was trying to kill it the moment it came out, but it took four years to finish the job. :P

The PS2 is the superior system. ;)

Written By: 2001 on 03/27/16 at 12:47 pm

It was alright, for disposable single player games. :P

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/27/16 at 12:48 pm

It was alright, for disposable single player games. :P

Disposable!? You must be smoking strong crack than Pac Man if you think PS2 games are disposable!

Written By: 2001 on 03/27/16 at 12:50 pm

Disposable!? You must be smoking strong crack than Pac Man if you think PS2 games are disposable!

When you're done playing them you sell them. What else are you going to do? :o

Only multiplayer games are for keeps.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/27/16 at 12:53 pm

The Wii is weird. Its success was built off almost entirely on party games, but its online component made people not want to play locally. I remember asking a few of my friends if they want to come over to play Mario Kart or Strikers Charged and they'd always say how they can just play it online.

The Gamecube started off well (Melee, Mario Kart, y'know the staples, the Mario Parties were mediocre) as I've said. But towards the end it seemed to have lost the plot.

Gamecube wasn't really that popular during 2005-2007, before it was discontinued. So, I get what people have dealt with back then. As for the Wii, it was more popular using online multiplayer options instead of local multiplayer. But I just thought the Wii should be mentioned, because you had games like New Super Mario Bros., which was more fun as a local multiplayer game.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/27/16 at 12:55 pm

You play 'em again 'cause they're super good.

Written By: 2001 on 03/27/16 at 1:02 pm

You play 'em again 'cause they're super good.

After Final Fantasy 10 I gave up gaming for about a year.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/27/16 at 1:05 pm

After Final Fantasy 10 I gave up gaming for about a year.

That game came out in 2001, though.

Written By: 2001 on 03/27/16 at 1:12 pm

That game came out in 2001, though.

I told you late 2001 was the start of the decline.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/27/16 at 1:19 pm

I told you late 2001 was the start of the decline.

I don't like this answer. >:(

2003 = start of decline. ;)

Written By: Toon on 03/27/16 at 1:24 pm

Gamecube had some pretty nice local multiplayer games. So did the Ps2 and Xbox.

Written By: 2001 on 03/27/16 at 1:32 pm

Gamecube had some pretty nice local multiplayer games. So did the Ps2 and Xbox.

Yeah, the Gamecube was good. The PS2... no. I can't think of memorable local multiplayer games on that.

Written By: Toon on 03/27/16 at 1:42 pm

Yeah, the Gamecube was good. The PS2... no. I can't think of memorable local multiplayer games on that.

I'm actually agree with that somewhat. After I made my previous comments I thought "Wait! All my favorite games are single player.". And I prefer 4 player consoles. I'm still confused on why the Playstation consoles are only 2 players.

Written By: 2001 on 03/27/16 at 1:44 pm

I'm actually agree with that somewhat. After I made my previous comments I thought "Wait! All my favorite games are single player.". And I prefer 4 player consoles. I'm still confused on why the Playstation consoles are only 2 players.

I think the PS3/PS4 are four players, but a lot of the games are still only two players. My favourite 8th gen game so far is Rocket League but unfortunately it's only two players. :( We have to take turns playing it.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/27/16 at 2:16 pm

For the N64 we had Mario Kart 64, Goldeneye, Mario Party series, Star Fox 64, Super Smash Bros., Banjo Tooie, Diddy Kong Racing, Pokemon Stadium etc. You know I could go on all day.

The carried on the tradition a bit but after 2003 or so, it followed the PS2 in focusing on mostly single player games.

Was anyone else not a fan of this shift? My favorite game this decade has been Just Dance. Whenever my friends come over we have a blast playing that game, but it seems games like that are a rarity nowadays with most games concentrating on online multiplayer, or cinematiic single player experiences.

How does that make sense when the N64 was the FIRST great multiplayer console. All 6th generation games were the last great local multiplayer experience like I've said many times before.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/27/16 at 2:26 pm

The 'Poke may be too young to remember the NES and SNES only had two controller ports yet those systems were amazing during their time. ;)

Written By: Howard on 03/27/16 at 2:36 pm

And don't forget the PS2 and PS3.

Written By: Howard on 03/27/16 at 2:37 pm

and then PS3 came around, it gave you apps, all you had to do was download them.

Written By: Howard on 03/27/16 at 2:38 pm

The PS3 has apps.

Written By: Howard on 03/27/16 at 2:39 pm

You sell them to Gamestop.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/27/16 at 2:39 pm

The PS3 has apps.

The PS2 has games.

Written By: Toon on 03/27/16 at 3:11 pm

The 'Poke may be too young to remember the NES and SNES only had two controller ports yet those systems were amazing during their time. ;)

NES is fun, but I never go back to play any of the multiplayer games (although I'm sure many others do). SNES is good, but ask yourself this question. Would you rather play 2 player Super Mario Kart or 4 player Mario Kart 64 and Double Dash? 2 Player F-Zero or 4 Player F-Zero X and GX? Although no offense to the NES or SNES. Great consoles, but not the best for multiplayer to me. But when it comes to single player games like Super Metroid or Link to the Past I'm instantly satisfied.

I think the issue is since I have many siblings who player games I preferred not to bother with 2 player only games. From my childhood I had 4 siblings. As an adult I have 10. Heck even 4 players ain't enough anymore.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/27/16 at 3:20 pm

NES is fun, but I never go back to play any of the multiplayer games (although I'm sure many others do). SNES is good, but ask yourself this question. Would you rather play 2 player Super Mario Kart or 4 player Mario Kart 64 and Double Dash? 2 Player F-Zero or 4 Player F-Zero X and GX? Although no offense to the NES or SNES. Great consoles, but not the best for multiplayer to me. But when it comes to single player games like Super Metroid or Link to the Past I'm instantly satisfied.

I think the issue is since I have many siblings who player games I preferred not to bother with 2 player only games. From my childhood I had 4 siblings. As an adult I have 10. Heck even 4 players ain't enough anymore.

I love the NES for it's single player games. SNES? I dunno, man, I've never really been a Mario Kart dude. I guess I prefer 64/Double Dash? My favorite console altogether is the PS2 and I don't even care much about the multiplayer unless I am playing Battlefront 2 or Halo with my wife or whatever. I only have two siblings but we never had too many multiplayer games growing up. I don't mind sitting around, watching/playing and talking. Multiplayer isn't that important to me but I'll say this: the N64's multiplayer would of been great to have as a kid but by time that console came out it was just me and my sister still playing games.

Written By: 2001 on 03/27/16 at 3:41 pm

I had two siblings growing up as well (I have 4 now, yikes), though one of them doesn't really play video games. I played games with kids in my neighbourhood mostly, I was pretty much friends with every other kid in my neighbourhood. Whenever we were bored we'd go to each other's houses and play N64 party games. I miss that atmosphere haha. There's no more "hey wanna comme over for some PS4 and chill" anymore.  :(

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/27/16 at 3:42 pm

I had two siblings growing up as well (I have 4 now, yikes), though one of them doesn't really play video games. I played games with kids in my neighbourhood mostly, I was pretty much friends with every other kid in my neighbourhood. Whenever we were bored we'd go to each other's houses and play N64 party games. I miss that atmosphere haha. There's no more "hey wanna comme over for some PS4 and chill" anymore.  :(

Nowadays kids have "Netflix and chill".

Written By: 2001 on 03/27/16 at 3:47 pm

I had an NES. It was okay. I can't remember any good party games on it though.

Written By: Toon on 03/27/16 at 3:48 pm

I love the NES for it's single player games. SNES? I dunno, man, I've never really been a Mario Kart dude. I guess I prefer 64/Double Dash? My favorite console altogether is the PS2 and I don't even care much about the multiplayer unless I am playing Battlefront 2 or Halo with my wife or whatever. I only have two siblings but we never had too many multiplayer games growing up. I don't mind sitting around, watching/playing and talking. Multiplayer isn't that important to me but I'll say this: the N64's multiplayer would of been great to have as a kid but by time that console came out it was just me and my sister still playing games.

Everyone loves that good ol' PS2. I have over 50 games for the thing. the console was so popular to the point where everyone hand one.

"Ey, brah! U got dat Geymcoob?  ???"

"Naw, m8.  :-\\ I got dat Ps2 doe!  8) "

This is your typical early 00's gaming conversation.

In my own neighborhood if you had a console there is an 80% chance it's a Playstation 2.

Now as for the multiplayer. When it comes to local multiplayer to me the best times were the 5th and 6th gens since there was some pretty good 4 player games. But as of the 7th and 8th gen I'm mainly playing online as I can go far above 4 players. I also play online PC games that allow up to 10+ players.

Written By: Howard on 03/27/16 at 3:50 pm

The PS2 has games.

I win!  :P

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/27/16 at 3:54 pm

I had an NES. It was okay. I can't remember any good party games on it though.

I don't think Nintendo had Party games until Super Mario Kart (if that counts) in 1992.

Everyone loves that good ol' PS2. I have over 50 games for the thing. the console was so popular to the point where everyone hand one.

"Ey, brah! U got dat Geymcoob?  ???"

"Naw, m8.  :-\\ I got dat Ps2 doe!  8) "

This is your typical early 00's gaming conversation.

In my own neighborhood if you had a console there is an 80% chance it's a Playstation 2.

Now as for the multiplayer. When it comes to local multiplayer to me the best times were the 5th and 6th gens since there was some pretty good 4 player games. But as of the 7th and 8th gen I'm mainly playing online as I can go far above 4 players. I also play online PC games that allow up to 10+ players.

Toon! You have to do it right.

Typical 2000/2001/2002 neighborhood:
http://images.8tracks.com/cover/i/009/774/400/anmplaylist-7511.jpg?rect=0,0,540,540&q=98&fm=jpg&fit=max

Typical 2000/2001/2002 conversation:

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/gc/566857389-adema-performing-astoria-london-britain-15-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=9QMziWNtBI6whP66vhs4oWqfLdR%2BC4XSZ%2FBdvoIxY6GM%2BwlXhH%2Fz2LKwrMSKd1FrF1yzHLqY0DDvAPJuAXqZtg%3D%3D
"Homie, I was listenin' 2 sum f*ckin' Nu Metal but then I got da itch 2 game. F*cker you got a Playstation?"

http://i.skyrock.net/2959/8662959/pics/157846173.jpg
"Hey, dude! PS1 or PS2?"

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/gc/566857389-adema-performing-astoria-london-britain-15-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=9QMziWNtBI6whP66vhs4oWqfLdR%2BC4XSZ%2FBdvoIxY6GM%2BwlXhH%2Fz2LKwrMSKd1FrF1yzHLqY0DDvAPJuAXqZtg%3D%3D
"Doesn't matter just as long as I got my gaming fix, motherf*cker!"

"I got both, dude. But if you keep being rude, I'm gonna have to kick your ass!"

"I apologize. My dad told me to clean my room and it got me really f*cking upset that I could break some f*cking stuff!!! Let's play some f*ckin' Tony Hawk Pro Skater!"

I win!  :P

Games > Apps

Written By: Toon on 03/27/16 at 3:54 pm

Back then for me it was a "hey wanna come get your ass kicked in Super Smash Bros and chill" time period. Now it's "Hey wanna play some online matches and chill?". It's actually amazing on how big online multiplayer has gotten. It's to the point where we have games nowadays that having nothing more than just online multiplayer and no single player. And of course there are the MMORPGss and MOBAs which were always online multiplayer. But MMORPGs have been around since the mid '90s. And MOBAs have been around since the early '00s.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/27/16 at 3:55 pm

Games > Apps

Agreed!

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/27/16 at 3:57 pm

Back then for me it was a "hey wanna come get your ass kicked in Super Smash Bros and chill" time period. Now it's "Hey wanna play some online matches and chill?". It's actually amazing on how big online multiplayer has gotten. It's to the point where we have games nowadays that having nothing more than just online multiplayer and no single player. And of course there are the MMORPGss and MOBAs which were always online multiplayer. But MMORPGs have been around since the mid '90s. And MOBAs have been around since the early '00s.

The earliest MOBA was in 1989, wasn't it?

Written By: 80sfan on 03/27/16 at 4:02 pm

I played one at my friend's house once.  :)

Written By: 2001 on 03/27/16 at 4:07 pm

Online games are okay. They don't have that same spirit as local multiplayer though. I hate MMOs with a passion.

If the game is online, I prefer leaderboard style games. I try to get the high score among my friends and we all try to outdo each other. I was actually in the top 5 speed runs of a lot of Braid levels in 2010 :D (a lot of the top spots were cheaters though) I wonder if I'm still on top ;D

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 03/27/16 at 6:01 pm

GTFO!!! >:( >:( >:( ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 03/27/16 at 6:02 pm

Overal NO!!! IMO, the last one you could really say for multiplayer would be the gamecube!

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/27/16 at 6:08 pm

GTFO!!! >:( >:( >:( ;D ;D ;D

No! Eric, I meant that everything after those three consoles suck. The PS2 most absolutely does not suck in anyway. It is the best console to drink Pepsi Blue (the 90s kid drink) and listen to Sev's Same Old Song to.

Written By: Toon on 03/27/16 at 6:12 pm

No! Eric, I meant that everything after those three consoles suck. The PS2 most absolutely does not suck in anyway. It is the best console to drink Pepsi Blue (the 90s kid drink) and listen to Sev's Same Old Song to.

Jordan is lying. He hates PS2, Pepsi Blue, and Sev's Same Old Sog.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/27/16 at 6:14 pm

Jordan is lying. He hates PS2, Pepsi Blue, and Sev's Same Old Sog.

No way! All those things rule. Takes me back too 2000, 2001 and 2002. 8)

You couldn't even get the early 00's conversation right. You needed me to give an accurate portrayal.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 03/27/16 at 6:14 pm

Yeah I Know, I went back and reread it! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 03/27/16 at 6:15 pm

No way! All those things rule. Takes me back too 2000, 2001 and 2002. 8)

You couldn't even get the early 00's conversation right. You needed me to give an accurate portrayal.

I hate to break it to ya.. ::)  But when I think of the PS2, I think of 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2006 ;)  Now.... The N64 takes me back to 2000 and 2001! :D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/27/16 at 6:16 pm

I hate to break it to ya.. ::)  But when I think of the PS2, I think of 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2006 ;)  Now.... The N64 takes me back to 2000 and 2001! :D

I bought the PS2 at launch so it reminds me of 2000, 2001 and 2002. 8)

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 03/27/16 at 6:23 pm

Lucky!!! >:( ::)  I was only 5 at the time, so my parents waited to get it for me when I became a GRADE schooler!

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/27/16 at 6:24 pm

Lucky!!! >:( ::)  I was only 5 at the time, so my parents waited to get it for me when I became a GRADE schooler!

Man, that sucks! I was already 18 when it came out so I could do whatever I wanted! Man, it was rad buying that thing. PS2 is still the king!

Written By: Toon on 03/27/16 at 6:26 pm

IdtKbq3Omkw

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 03/27/16 at 6:29 pm

Man, that sucks! I was already 18 when it came out so I could do whatever I wanted! Man, it was rad buying that thing. PS2 is still the king!

Getting it at 7 1/2 wasn't too bad! But if I had gotten it a year earlier... man that woulda been sweet. I would've gotten the full early 00s PS2 experience, instead of it being a early/mid 00s hybrid for me.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/27/16 at 6:32 pm

IdtKbq3Omkw

I'm not, though.

The proof:

Toon! You have to do it right.

Typical 2000/2001/2002 neighborhood:
http://images.8tracks.com/cover/i/009/774/400/anmplaylist-7511.jpg?rect=0,0,540,540&q=98&fm=jpg&fit=max

Typical 2000/2001/2002 conversation:

"Homie, I was listenin' 2 sum f*ckin' Nu Metal but then I got da itch 2 game. F*cker you got a Playstation?"

"Hey, dude! PS1 or PS2?"

"Doesn't matter just as long as I got my gaming fix, motherf*cker!"

"I got both, dude. But if you keep being rude, I'm gonna have to kick your ass!"

"I apologize. My dad told me to clean my room and it got me really f*cking upset that I could break some f*cking stuff!!! Let's play some f*ckin' Tony Hawk Pro Skater!"

It's totally accurate. You've gotta admit that! 8)

Getting it at 7 1/2 wasn't too bad! But if I had gotten it a year earlier... man that woulda been sweet. I would've gotten the full early 00s PS2 experience, instead of it being a early/mid 00s hybrid for me.

Hey, at least you got to experience the console at all but yeah, feeling the PS2 pure early 00s (the way it was meant to be) was pretty sweet. Like a cool sip of Pepsi Blue... 8)

Written By: 2001 on 03/27/16 at 6:47 pm

I also associate it with the mid-2000s since I bought mine in 2004. I can divide my childhood into console eras, N64 era (1998-2001), Gamecube era (2002-2004), and the PS2 era (2004-2006).

Written By: Toon on 03/27/16 at 6:50 pm

I'm not, though.

The proof:

It's totally accurate. You've gotta admit that! 8)

http://www.clickypix.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Dr-Sheldon-Cooper-Quotes-and-more-17.jpg

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/27/16 at 6:52 pm

http://www.clickypix.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Dr-Sheldon-Cooper-Quotes-and-more-17.jpg

No, 'cause you clearly don't know it right now. 8)

http://dinosaurdracula.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/ROACH1.jpg

Like a cool sip of Pepsi Blue...

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 03/27/16 at 6:53 pm

I also associate it with the mid-2000s since I bought mine in 2004. I can divide my childhood into console eras, N64 era (1998-2001), Gamecube era (2002-2004), and the PS2 era (2004-2006).

Well I associate my PS2 with the early and mid 00s. N64 with the very late 90s and very early 00s. ;)
My childhood/teenage console eras I owned were; N64 era(1999-2002), PS2 era(2003-2008), XBOX era (2006-2008) PS3 and XBOX 360 eras(2008-2013) :D
Played my cousin's PS1 (1999-2003), Uncle's Genesis(2001-2005), cousin's GameCube(2002-2005)!

Written By: Toon on 03/27/16 at 6:56 pm

I see Ps2 as a early-mid 00's console due to first playing it in 2000 (I didn't own one, but I knew people who did) and stopped playing it in 2006 with the last game I'd played and beat being Kingdom Hearts 2. After that I moved to the 7th gen. N64 I didn't stop playing in late 2001 or early 2002 with the last games I remember playing being Conker's Bad Fur Day, Mario Kart 64, Banjo Tooie, Super Smash Bros. Once I got done playing these games I moved to the Gamecube. Ps1 the last games I remember playing before moving to the Ps2 were Spyro 3, Crash 3, Crash Team Racing, and Final Fantasy 9. For the Gamecube the last game I played before moving to the Wii was Zelda Twilight Princess.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/27/16 at 6:58 pm

I never stopped playing any of the consoles I own 'cept the PS3 'cause that got super boring real quick.

I see Ps2 as a early-mid 00's console due to first playing it in 2000 (I didn't own one, but I knew people who did) and stopped playing it in 2006 with the last game I'd played and beat being Kingdom Hearts 2. After that I moved to the 7th gen. N64 I didn't stop playing in late 2001 or early 2002 with the last games I remember playing being Conker's Bad Fur Day, Mario Kart 64, Banjo Tooie, Super Smash Bros. Once I got done playing these games I moved to the Gamecube. Ps1 the last games I remember playing before moving to the Ps2 were Spyro 3, Crash 3, Crash Team Racing, and Final Fantasy 9. For the Gamecube the last game I played before moving to the Wii was Zelda Twilight Princess.

When'd you stop playing the PS1?

Written By: 2001 on 03/27/16 at 7:02 pm

I never stopped playing any of the consoles I own 'cept the PS3 'cause that got super boring real quick.

But you only buy single players... There's no replay value in single player games.

Written By: Toon on 03/27/16 at 7:04 pm

I stopping playing the PS1 console in 2002 as that's when I got the PS2 (also got the games Kingdom Hearts, Devil May Cry, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, Dark Cloud, Grand Turismo, Final Fantasy 12, Klonoa 2, and GTA3..... PS2 had a great lineup even as early as 2002). But I kept playing PS1 games even after I got the PS2 due to the PS2 being able to play PS1 games. So I was still playing Final Fantasy 7, Crash Bandicoot, Ape Escape and stuff.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/27/16 at 7:07 pm

But you only buy single players... There's no replay value in single player games.

These are the lies! And I do not only buy single player games. Pro Skater has multiplayer. ;)

I stopping playing the PS1 console in 2002 as that's when I got the PS2 (also got the games Kingdom Hearts, Devil May Cry, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, Dark Cloud, Grand Turismo, Final Fantasy 12, Klonoa 2, and GTA3..... PS2 had a great lineup even as early as 2002). But I kept playing PS1 games even after I got the PS2 due to the PS2 being able to play PS1 games. So I was still playing Final Fantasy 7, Crash Bandicoot, Ape Escape and stuff.

Ah, ok. Pretty rad! I had still had the two of them so I used both just for kicks. Bought Pro Skater 3 and 4 for both the PS1 and PS2 back then.

Written By: 2001 on 03/27/16 at 7:16 pm

These are the lies! And I do not only buy single player games. Pro Skater has multiplayer. ;)

What games do you play on the N64?

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/27/16 at 7:23 pm

What games do you play on the N64?

Super Mario 64, Goldeneye, Smash Bros., Ocarina/Majora, Conkers, Star Fox to name a few.

Written By: 2001 on 03/27/16 at 7:45 pm

Super Mario 64, Goldeneye, Smash Bros., Ocarina/Majora, Conkers, Star Fox to name a few.

I replayed Super Mario 64 yesterday. I got 6 stars and got stuck on the part where you race the penguin, she kept pushing me off.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 03/27/16 at 8:49 pm

Here's how I would divide the decades based on console eras:

1970s: 1st generation (1972-1977)
1980s: 2nd generation/3rd generation (1978-1989)
1990s: 4th generation/5th generation (1990-2000)
2000s: 6th generation/7th generation (2001-2012)
2010s: 8th generation (2013-2019)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/27/16 at 10:19 pm

I think the PS3/PS4 are four players, but a lot of the games are still only two players. My favourite 8th gen game so far is Rocket League but unfortunately it's only two players. :( We have to take turns playing it.
I guess you guys don't remember multi-tap? ???? That's how people were able to play 4 players on PS1 and PS2.

Written By: Toon on 03/28/16 at 12:46 am

I guess you guys don't remember multi-tap? ???? That's how people were able to play 4 players on PS1 and PS2.

That addon?. Now it did provide 4 players for PS1 and PS2. But why even bother with an addon when you could just make the console 4 players by default? Also PS1 have over 2000 games yet around 50 of them support the multitap (none of which I happen to own). All the multiplayer games I had or seen were only 2 players with some being 4 players on rare cases. Only game I could use the Multitap on was Crash Team racing since I happen to own.

PS2 had way more 4 player multitap games. And I did happen to own a few of them. But again I question on why multitap even exists and why couldn't the PS2 just be 4 players by default. I basically have to buy 4 player mode. Now I did find it to be cool that the multitap could allow for 5+ players. I remember playing Bomberman World at a party. It was able to support up to 5 players. One of the funnest moments of multiplayer in my life.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/28/16 at 1:08 am

I replayed Super Mario 64 yesterday. I got 6 stars and got stuck on the part where you race the penguin, she kept pushing me off.

Dude, that part is so easy. You're probably not very good at video games so you need 4 player games to distract from this fact.

Written By: SpyroKev on 03/28/16 at 10:05 am

It was and always will be the last rule for Nintendo no doubt.

Written By: Howard on 03/28/16 at 1:58 pm

I played one at my friend's house once.  :)

What games did you play?

Written By: Howard on 03/28/16 at 1:59 pm

Do you still have it?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/28/16 at 2:32 pm

That addon?. Now it did provide 4 players for PS1 and PS2. But why even bother with an addon when you could just make the console 4 players by default? Also PS1 have over 2000 games yet around 50 of them support the multitap (none of which I happen to own). All the multiplayer games I had or seen were only 2 players with some being 4 players on rare cases. Only game I could use the Multitap on was Crash Team racing since I happen to own.

PS2 had way more 4 player multitap games. And I did happen to own a few of them. But again I question on why multitap even exists and why couldn't the PS2 just be 4 players by default. I basically have to buy 4 player mode. Now I did find it to be cool that the multitap could allow for 5+ players. I remember playing Bomberman World at a party. It was able to support up to 5 players. One of the funnest moments of multiplayer in my life.

I think it's because Sony didn't even think about that feature until after the N64 was released. They followed Sega's formula (The Saturn also had 2 controller ports). In addition, the ports themselves were too big making it difficult to have 4 at the same time and remember when the PS1 was first released, it didn't have analog sticks either. That's why multi-tap was introduced to extend the controller limit.

Here's what the PS1 controller originally looked like

http://craiggav.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/playstation-controller.jpeg

Then they released this one in 1997 with thumbsticks

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a342/Grizzmeister/DualAnalogControllerSCPH-1180.jpg

The Dualshock series was actually introduced later in 1998

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c7/PSX-DualShock-Controller.jpg

On top of that, the design of the N64 controller came from the fact that the Saturn had one due on the release of this game. Here's what that controller looked like.

http://www.xblafans.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/nights_card.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b8/Sega-Saturn-3D-Controller.jpg

That's the main reason why the Dreamcast only had one stick (even though it should have has two since it was out after Sony's dualshock controller)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/72/Dreamcast_controller,_take_one.jpg

I do agree that Sony should have made 4 ports by default on PS2 when it was in production. It made no sense to keep it at two especially when the Dreamcast had four as well as the GC and Xbox (although both were out later).

Written By: Howard on 03/28/16 at 2:48 pm

I think it's because Sony didn't even think about that feature until after the N64 was released. They followed Sega's formula (The Saturn also had 2 controller ports). In addition, the ports themselves were too big making it difficult to have 4 at the same time and remember when the PS1 was first released, it didn't have analog sticks either. That's why multi-tap was introduced to extend the controller limit.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a342/Grizzmeister/DualAnalogControllerSCPH-1180.jpg

On top of that, the design of the N64 controller came from the fact that the Saturn had one due on the release of this game. Here's what that controller looked like.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b8/Sega-Saturn-3D-Controller.jpg

That's the main reason why the Dreamcast only had one stick (even though it should have has two since it was out after Sony's dualshock controller)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/72/Dreamcast_controller,_take_one.jpg

I do agree that Sony should have made 4 ports by default on PS2 when it was in production. It made no sense to keep it at two especially when the Dreamcast had four as well as the GC and Xbox (although both were out later).

I have the black joystick.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/28/16 at 2:49 pm

I have the black joystick.
You have the Saturn one?

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/28/16 at 2:57 pm

Do you still have it?

Yep! 16 years and running strong.

I've got the stickless and Dualshock PS1 controllers; every time I can't find my Dualshock and have to play Mr. Stickless, it pisses me off 'cause that one sucks.

Written By: Toon on 03/28/16 at 11:58 pm

I always forget that memory cards were only really around for the 5th gen (Ps1 used memory cards while the N64 used memory paks on the back of the controller) and 6th gen (NGC and PS2 used memory cards. DC used the VMU which acted like a memory card. Xbox had a built in harddrive meaning it didn't have a memory card).

Boy did it suck when I got the PS2 and lacked a memory card.
http://img.ifcdn.com/images/ef0bbac2b9beadb9a65627106b04ffed704e86c2f9d6624397f7c77ad1bd7817_1.jpg

I actually didn't get a memory card for the PS2 until early 2003 (I got the PS2 in late 2002) and boy did it suck when I would play RPGs like Kingdom Hearts and NOT have a memory card.

RPGs - Memory Cards = Frustration

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/29/16 at 12:01 am

I always forget that memory cards were only really around for the 5th gen (Ps1 used memory cards while the N64 used memory paks on the back of the controller) and 6th gen (NGC and PS2 used memory cards. DC used the VMU which acted like a memory card. Xbox had a built in harddrive meaning it didn't have a memory card).

Boy did it suck when I got the PS2 and lacked a memory card.
http://img.ifcdn.com/images/ef0bbac2b9beadb9a65627106b04ffed704e86c2f9d6624397f7c77ad1bd7817_1.jpg

I actually didn't get a memory card for the PS2 until early 2003 (I got the PS2 in late 2002) and boy did it suck when I would play RPGs like Kingdom Hearts and NOT have a memory card.

RPGs - Memory Cards = Frustration

When I bought my PS2 at launch in 2000, I made sure I bought a memory card with it. 8)

Written By: Toon on 03/29/16 at 12:07 am

All fair points. The N64 came out in 1996 and was the first console to have 4 players. PS1 came out in 1995 (Dec 3rd '94 in Japan). So the PS1 was released in a time where people didn't even think or know about 4 player console games. PS2 only having 2 players is no excuse as you mentioned since the Dreamcast came out 1-2 years earlier. but the PS1 is understandable since it was released before anyone even seen the N64 or knew about its 4 player functions. As for the controller same situation. PS1 released when it was still normal to have controllers without analog sticks. N64 came around and changed that up.

Written By: Toon on 03/29/16 at 12:09 am

When I bought my PS2 at launch in 2000, I made sure I bought a memory card with it. 8)

Mine was a Christmas present. Guess they didn't know about memory cards when they got it for me. When I had the time later on I made sure to go buy one.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/29/16 at 12:10 am

Mine was a Christmas present. Guess they didn't know about memory cards when they got it for me. When I had the time later on I made sure to go buy one.

I bought mine myself and I had already learned my lesson from the PS1...

http://puu.sh/e5Av5/695a76836c.png

I actually had "BUY A MEMORY CARD!!!!!!" in big sharpie on my hand that day.

Written By: Toon on 03/29/16 at 12:34 am

Beat FF7 without a memory card?! FF7?! The game that required 3 seperate discs in order to contain its long story?! Pfffft, I'd never try and do that. I also didn't learn my lesson with the Gamecube. I had Super Smash Bros Melee and unlocked all the characters, but due to not having a memory card I'd lose all those characters the moment I'd restart the game.  :\'(  :-\\ :( >:(

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/29/16 at 1:42 am

Beat FF7 without a memory card?! FF7?! The game that required 3 seperate discs in order to contain its long story?! Pfffft, I'd never try and do that. I also didn't learn my lesson with the Gamecube. I had Super Smash Bros Melee and unlocked all the characters, but due to not having a memory card I'd lose all those characters the moment I'd restart the game.  :\'(  :-\\ :( >:(

Yeeppp. Imagine trying to beat that sucker with no memory card. Impossible! Ah, dude, that sucks! When I bought my GameCube, I once again wrote in sharpie "BUY A MEMORY CARD!!!" but when time to buy the Xbox came around, it didn't even have any need for memory cards. I was blown away! Thank god I got smart after the PS1 (I think I bought the memory card a year after owning the system. Many saves were lost) or else I'd be pretty pissed about losing my saves. I have saves on my memory cards that have been stored since 2000 (the good old days...) and I am pretty proud about this fact.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/29/16 at 7:37 am

I hated memory cards so much! If there's anything about the previous generations of gaming I don't miss, it's memory cards. I hated those being a requirement in order to save your data.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 03/29/16 at 9:57 am

I hated memory cards so much! If there's anything about the previous generations of gaming I don't miss, it's memory cards. I hated those being a requirement in order to save your data.

I'm glad we have hard drives now, so you don't need anymore memory cards.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/29/16 at 12:24 pm

All fair points. The N64 came out in 1996 and was the first console to have 4 players. PS1 came out in 1995 (Dec 3rd '94 in Japan). So the PS1 was released in a time where people didn't even think or know about 4 player console games. PS2 only having 2 players is no excuse as you mentioned since the Dreamcast came out 1-2 years earlier. but the PS1 is understandable since it was released before anyone even seen the N64 or knew about its 4 player functions. As for the controller same situation. PS1 released when it was still normal to have controllers without analog sticks. N64 came around and changed that up.
Yeah, that's also why the Saturn had started with a controller like that and had 2 players as it was released long before the N64. I agree that the PS2 should have had 4 players instead of 2 (without multi-tap) as it could have had more multiplayer games; however, it did have a great feature since the PS1 days. If you connect two multi-taps, then people were able to play 8 players on a single PS console. How amazing was that?

Here's a photo of the original Saturn controller

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7c/Sega-Saturn-Controller-Mk-I-NA-FL.jpg

As for the DC controller, if the PS1 controller with analog sticks was released before the DC, then why didn't it have two thumbsticks like PS2, Xbox and GC? If it did, I think it would have done much better. 

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/29/16 at 2:39 pm

At least the Nintendo 64 had internal memory, so you wouldn't have to worry about getting a memory card back then.

Written By: Howard on 03/29/16 at 2:50 pm

You have the Saturn one?

I own a PS3 with the Sony Joystick.
http://76.my/Malaysia/original-sony-ps2-dual-shock-vibration-joystick-game-controller-bulk-castleit-1305-14-castleIT@120.jpg

Written By: Howard on 03/29/16 at 2:52 pm

and you stuck it in the slot and then saved your characters.

Written By: Howard on 03/29/16 at 2:52 pm

I'm glad we have hard drives now, so you don't need anymore memory cards.

Exactly.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/29/16 at 4:09 pm

What sucked was running out of memory and having to go back and by more.

and you stuck it in the slot and then saved your characters.

Haha, yep! That's how it was back in the old days. 8)

Written By: mqg96 on 03/29/16 at 6:28 pm

At least the Nintendo 64 had internal memory, so you wouldn't have to worry about getting a memory card back then.

Actually, it depended on the mode of games and what you were specifically saving. In order to save ghosts on the time trial mode on Mario Kart 64 you had to have a memory card. The rest of the game the memory would be internal to the cartilage though.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/29/16 at 7:37 pm

Actually, it depended on the mode of games and what you were specifically saving. In order to save ghosts on the time trial mode on Mario Kart 64 you had to have a memory card. The rest of the game the memory would be internal to the cartilage though.

Okay, so maybe it sometimes required a memory card. Especially when you needed such accessories like the Expansion Pak, in order to fully play Perfect Dark, Donkey Kong 64, and The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.

Written By: Howard on 03/30/16 at 3:07 pm

What sucked was running out of memory and having to go back and by more.

Haha, yep! That's how it was back in the old days. 8)

I still have a few from the old PS2 in my drawer.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/30/16 at 11:31 pm

I still have a few from the old PS2 in my drawer.

You traded in your PS2 for a PS3, right?

Written By: Howard on 03/31/16 at 2:38 pm

You traded in your PS2 for a PS3, right?

But I saved the memory cards.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/31/16 at 10:10 pm

That's right. The N64 had this thing called a "Controller Pak" that functioned essentially like a memory card, expect it was inserted into the back of the controller instead of the console itself.

http://www.lukiegames.com/assets/images/n64_controller_pak_original.jpg

Very few games actually took advantage of it though since games on N64 carts could be saved internally, so it was largely a waste of money. Other than Mario Kart 64, I remember using my Controller Pak (which luckily came bundled with my console) to save information on stuff like Tony Hawk's Pro Skater and Mortal Kombat 4. I also think Pokemon Stadium might have made some use of it, but I'm not sure.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 03/31/16 at 10:18 pm

That's right. The N64 had this thing called a "Controller Pak" that functioned essentially like a memory card, expect it was inserted into the back of the controller instead of the console itself.

http://www.lukiegames.com/assets/images/n64_controller_pak_original.jpg

Very few games actually took advantage of it though since games on N64 carts could be saved internally, so it was largely a waste of money. Other than Mario Kart 64, I remember using my Controller Pak (which luckily came bundled with my console) to save information on stuff like Tony Hawk's Pro Skater and Mortal Kombat 4. I also think Pokemon Stadium might have made some use of it, but I'm not sure.

Growing up, I don't even remember seeing those at the game store! ;D Since N64 saved automatically it seems useless!

But for some reason after I bought an old 64 on Amazon.com.. NOW I need one! >:( >:( >:( It saves automatically on SOME games for some weird reason!

Written By: Shemp97 on 04/01/16 at 1:10 pm

I remember asking a few of my friends if they want to come over to play Mario Kart or Strikers Charged and they'd always say how they can just play it online.

People actually used the Wii's online? That's a new one.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/01/16 at 3:17 pm

People actually used the Wii's online? That's a new one.

Yeah, it was very popular with its Internet services. In fact, you have to get an Internet connection to use their channels.

Written By: 2001 on 04/19/16 at 6:56 am

Yeah, it was very popular with its Internet services. In fact, you have to get an Internet connection to use their channels.

LMAO I was on the Everybody Votes channel everyday.  ;D I also used the Wii browser to watch YouTube on my TV. 

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/19/16 at 9:44 am

LMAO I was on the Everybody Votes channel everyday.  ;D I also used the Wii browser to watch YouTube on my TV.

I remember going on the Everybody Votes channel to see other people's opinions. It was the best thing that the Wii had. The YouTube channel was also good, but I preferred watching it on my desktop.

Written By: 2001 on 04/19/16 at 9:49 am

I remember going on the Everybody Votes channel to see other people's opinions. It was the best thing that the Wii had. The YouTube channel was also good, but I preferred watching it on my desktop.

I think the YouTube channel came a bit later. 2010? In 2007-2009 I used the browser and had to type in YouTube.com.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/19/16 at 9:56 am

I think the YouTube channel came a bit later. 2010? In 2007-2009 I used the browser and had to type in YouTube.com.

I think it came during 2008. I used it sometimes from 2008-2009, since I thought watching YouTube videos were cool on the Wii.

Written By: 2001 on 04/19/16 at 10:04 am

I think it came during 2008. I used it sometimes from 2008-2009, since I thought watching YouTube videos were cool on the Wii.

I just checked, and the YouTube Channel  actually came out November 2012! So yeah, you did the same thing as me most likely, went into browser and typed YouTube in the address bar. :P

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/19/16 at 11:51 am

I just checked, and the YouTube Channel  actually came out November 2012! So yeah, you did the same thing as me most likely, went into browser and typed YouTube in the address bar. :P

On second thought, I could say that. I do remember when I searched up YouTube on the Wii, it had a unique website. It looked like an app, for what I can remember.

Written By: Toon on 04/19/16 at 2:10 pm

I remember those days. I was shocked by the fact that the Wii was able to access Youtube.  I was all like "The Wii can access the internet!? Wha? What's that??!?! THE WII CAN GO TO YOUTUBE?! *Head Explodes*"

The late '00s is when I was addicted to Youtube.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/19/16 at 2:24 pm

I remember those days. I was shocked by the fact that the Wii was able to access Youtube.  I was all like "The Wii can access the internet!? Wha? What's that??!?! THE WII CAN GO TO YOUTUBE?! *Head Explodes*"

The late '00s is when I was addicted to Youtube.

I remember when the late '00s was really good for YouTube. Good times, before people made it cancerous during 2013/14.

Written By: Howard on 04/19/16 at 3:26 pm

YouTube started in 2005.

Written By: 2001 on 04/19/16 at 7:14 pm

YouTube started in 2005.

Haha I know :P my brother had a YouTube channel early 2006. I was talking about the YouTube channel on the Wii.

Written By: Toon on 04/19/16 at 7:22 pm

I remember when the late '00s was really good for YouTube. Good times, before people made it cancerous during 2013/14.

Youtube community really gotten bad over the years. It's nothing more then trolls harassing other trolls. Whether it's a kid, teen, or adult. People insulting each other, making stupid comments, or just acting like man children. And I don't like the latest youtube trends either.

Haha I know :P my brother had a YouTube channel early 2006. I was talking about the YouTube channel on the Wii.

I started watching youtube in 2007, but didn't make an account until around 2008.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/19/16 at 7:47 pm

Youtube community really gotten bad over the years. It's nothing more then trolls harassing other trolls. Whether it's a kid, teen, or adult. People insulting each other, making stupid comments, or just acting like man children. And I don't like the latest youtube trends either.

Not to mention that they're cancerous sub communities almost everywhere on YouTube.

Written By: Toon on 04/19/16 at 8:40 pm

Not to mention that they're cancerous sub communities almost everywhere on YouTube.

Maybe someday the Youtube community will be good again. Or it may end up getting worse and I'd stop going to the website. Who knows.

Written By: 2001 on 04/19/16 at 8:48 pm

Maybe someday the Youtube community will be good again. Or it may end up getting worse and I'd stop going to the website. Who knows.

The comments were always bad to me, even in 2006/2007. I think after 2007 I stopped paying attention to YouTube comments.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/19/16 at 8:50 pm

The comments were always bad to me, even in 2006/2007. I think after 2007 I stopped paying attention to YouTube comments.

Back in the old Youtube days there used to be a comment limit. Like a certain amount of characters you could only post so people couldn't type much anyway. Now you can type as much as you want to. Same goes for video lengths too. I remember when videos could not go over 9:59.

Written By: 2001 on 04/19/16 at 8:55 pm

Back in the old Youtube days there used to be a comment limit. Like a certain amount of characters you could only post so people couldn't type much anyway. Now you can type as much as you want to. Same goes for video lengths too. I remember when videos could not go over 9:59.

Are the troll comments really all that long? I think the character limit was 500 characters.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/19/16 at 9:56 pm

Overall, I don't think it was completely the end of good local multiplayer. That would arguably be the GameCube and the ''early days'' of the original XBOX.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/19/16 at 10:08 pm

Overall, I don't think it was completely the end of good local multiplayer. That would arguably be the GameCube and the ''early days'' of the original XBOX.

Yeah, the GameCube, in spite of its lackluster single-player titles, was nonetheless an excellent multiplayer system. It produced four installments of Mario Party, plus Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, Four Swords Adventures, Super Mario Strikers, Mario Superstar Baseball, third-party ports like Tony Hawk and SSX, and of course the untouchable Super Smash Bros. Melee. The original XBOX, of course, had the first two Halo's as the host of many a living room pizza party in the early and mid-2000s.

A lot of people would probably argue that the Wii was a solid multiplayer system, since it had Brawl, Wii Sports, Wii Play, and New Super Mario Bros. Wii, among others, but the golden age of living room multiplayer games was definitely 1997 to roughly 2005.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/19/16 at 10:14 pm

Yeah, the GameCube, in spite of its lackluster single-player titles, was nonetheless an excellent multiplayer system. It produced four installments of Mario Party, plus Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, Four Swords Adventures, Super Mario Strikers, Mario Superstar Baseball, third-party ports like Tony Hawk and SSX, and of course the untouchable Super Smash Bros. Melee. The original XBOX, of course, had the first two Halo's as the host of many a living room pizza party in the early and mid-2000s.

A lot of people would probably argue that the Wii was a solid multiplayer system, since it had Brawl, Wii Sports, Wii Play, and New Super Mario Bros. Wii, among others, but the golden age of living room multiplayer games was definitely 1997 to roughly 2005.

Even though I think the GameCube was when Nintendo started to lose it and, it turned me away from them.... I'm gonna admit it had some better multiplayer than my precious PS2. I mean Mario Kart Double Dash and Smash Bros Meele kicked ASS!! I used to come over to my younger cousins house just to play those games. Looking back it was one underrated console. I would even stretch it to 1997-2006(N64 getting on the map till the first year of the Wii).

Written By: mqg96 on 04/19/16 at 10:18 pm

Some of my elementary school friends and I would set up tournaments with each other on Super Smash Bros. Melee and Mario Kart Double Dash from 2003-2006. Same goes for XBOX games too like Need for Speed Underground 2, Crash Nitro Kart, or GTA III. I remember my mom telling us to lower our voices down when we were screaming at each other when we won, lost the race, or got hit by an item.

I would extend that to 2006, since 2006 was the last year of 6th generation gaming and the last year local multiplayer was popular before online gaming really exploded throughout 2007.

Written By: Toon on 04/19/16 at 10:42 pm

I'd say the best years of local multiplayer was from the late '90 -  mid '00s. After that online gaming got huge and it's more common to see people play online multiplayer than local multiplayer nowadays. The Nintendo 64, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Dreamcast, Xbox, and Gamecube were all excellent in their multiplayer game.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/20/16 at 1:53 am

Even though I think the GameCube was when Nintendo started to lose it and, it turned me away from them.... I'm gonna admit it had some better multiplayer than my precious PS2. I mean Mario Kart Double Dash and Smash Bros Meele kicked ASS!! I used to come over to my younger cousins house just to play those games. Looking back it was one underrated console. I would even stretch it to 1997-2006(N64 getting on the map till the first year of the Wii).

That's pretty accurate. Even though the Nintendo 64 came out in 1996, its only notable multiplayer game that year was Wave Race 64, not to mention it took a few months before people were truly rushing out to purchase the system. Once Mario Kart 64 was released, however, the gaming world had its first house party classic, and the industry was transformed overnight. GoldenEye 007 only perpetuated the craze even further.

I would extend that to 2006, since 2006 was the last year of 6th generation gaming and the last year local multiplayer was popular before online gaming really exploded throughout 2007.

I ended it at 2005 because that was really the last year with a solid amount of 6th generation multiplayer titles being released, not to mention the XBOX 360 came out at the end of the year. 2006 can count as well, but it was pretty much the beginning of the end. Frankly, the living room era of gaming didn't totally end until after 2009, by which point the Wii's initial appeal had faded away and party games like Rock Band and DDR fell from popularity. However, online gaming was definitely becoming standard by the start of the seventh generation.

Written By: Howard on 04/20/16 at 7:35 am

I never knew there was one on The Wii?  ???

Written By: Howard on 04/20/16 at 7:37 am

I started watching youtube in 2007, but didn't make an account until around 2008.

I still have my account, would you like to view my jamminoldies?  :)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL782CF50A37953A87

Written By: Howard on 04/20/16 at 7:42 am

a lot of channels have stopped making or producing videos cause they lost interest in the product.

Written By: Howard on 04/20/16 at 7:43 am

I love viewing the comments.

Written By: Howard on 04/20/16 at 7:44 am

now they can get more time.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/20/16 at 9:49 am

I remember back when long videos were usually shortened into parts. That was before the time limit was lifted. Good times.

Written By: Howard on 04/20/16 at 2:35 pm

I remember back when long videos were usually shortened into parts. That was before the time limit was lifted. Good times.

Now you can watch videos for over an hour or two.

Written By: Toon on 04/20/16 at 2:38 pm

The evolution of Youtube.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/23/16 at 9:47 am

It went from one of the greatest sites ever made, to a wasteland full of racist, sexist, and anti-Semitic bastards.

Written By: 2001 on 04/23/16 at 9:54 am

It went from one of the greatest sites ever made, to a wasteland full of racist, sexist, and anti-Semitic bastards.

If I went into coma in 2007 and woke up today, I would guess YouTube hasn't changed one bit, based on your blurb.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/23/16 at 9:59 am

If I went into coma in 2007 and woke up today, I would guess YouTube hasn't changed one bit, based on your blurb.

Yeah, but it wasn't as cancerous as it was back in 2007. YouTube was decent with its communities back then. Now it's PewDiePie fanboys, cartoon fanatics, pretty much anybody who is terrible as sh*t.

Written By: 2001 on 04/23/16 at 10:06 am

Yeah, but it wasn't as cancerous as it was back in 2007. YouTube was decent with its communities back then. Now it's PewDiePie fanboys, cartoon fanatics, pretty much anybody who is terrible as sh*t.

I think we have different recollections. Other than being awash in memes, the YouTube comment section isn't really better or worse than 10 years ago to me. It's still full of preteen trolls.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/23/16 at 10:12 am

I think we have different recollections. Other than being awash in memes, the YouTube comment section isn't really better or worse than 10 years ago to me. It's still full of preteen trolls.

Eh. It could be that. I didn't really care about the comment section back then. I only cared about the videos I watched. Nobody on YouTube didn't even care about the comments back in 2007. All they cared about was how much views they had. Now, you have videos that talk about YouTube drama because of the comments.

Written By: 2001 on 04/23/16 at 10:18 am

Eh. It could be that. I didn't really care about the comment section back then. I only cared about the videos I watched. Nobody on YouTube didn't even care about the comments back in 2007. All they cared about was how much views they had. Now, you have videos that talk about YouTube drama because of the comments.

Well, I don't know how you can say no one cared about the comments in 2007 but care about them today. As for YouTube drama, i watch mostly music videos and TYT having a meltdown over Clinton domination. That is all I use YT for, so I have not seen any drama since Chris Croker's meltdown (which was 2007).

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/23/16 at 10:37 am

Well, I don't know how you can say no one cared about the comments in 2007 but care about them today. As for YouTube drama, i watch mostly music videos and TYT having a meltdown over Clinton domination. That is all I use YT for, so I have not seen any drama since Chris Croker's meltdown (which was 2007).

I'm saying that the YT community didn't made videos about the comment section in 2007. Nowadays, the comment section is SO noticeable, people would just make videos on comment drama.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/23/16 at 11:00 am

Anyways, in response to the title of this thread. The N64 was not the last good multiplayer console. The N64 was the FIRST great multiplayer console!

Written By: 2001 on 04/23/16 at 11:02 am

Anyways, in response to the title of this thread. The N64 was not the last good multiplayer console. The N64 was the FIRST great multiplayer console!

It peaked there though  ;D

Written By: mqg96 on 04/23/16 at 11:09 am

It peaked there though  ;D

I'd say 6th generation, because it had the Gamecube AND XBOX that both went up to 4 players.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/23/16 at 11:11 am

The multiplayer games for the N64 was awesome. But I think the Genesis was the first multiplayer console that was great. Sonic 2 and 3, the Streets of Rage trilogy, Golden Axe, Altered Beast, the original Mortal Kombat trilogy, and NBA Jam are some of the greatest multiplayer games for the console. Even though the console only supported two players.

Written By: 2001 on 04/23/16 at 11:12 am

I'd say 6th generation, because it had the Gamecube AND XBOX that both went up to 4 players.

Is Xbox known for its multiplayer? I only played Halo. Counterstrike on LAN was more popular at my school though.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/23/16 at 11:18 am

Is Xbox known for its multiplayer? I only played Halo. Counterstrike on LAN was more popular at my school though.

I think so. It did have Xbox Live, but it wasn't big until the Xbox 360 was released.

Written By: 2001 on 04/23/16 at 11:28 am

I think so. It did have Xbox Live, but it wasn't big until the Xbox 360 was released.

Xbox 360 was very decent for online multiplayer. I had a lot of fun with that.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/23/16 at 11:35 am

Xbox 360 was very decent for online multiplayer. I had a lot of fun with that.

Yeah. I liked the online features the Xbox 360 had. Especially the achievements.

Written By: Howard on 04/23/16 at 2:04 pm

That was in 2006.

Written By: Howard on 04/23/16 at 2:05 pm

and you also have Buzzfeed and College Humor which make comedies.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/23/16 at 2:06 pm

It was today (April 23rd) in 2005 when the first YouTube video was uploaded, titled "Me at the zoo".

Written By: Howard on 04/23/16 at 2:07 pm

now you have thumbs up and thumbs down, comment like and subscribe if you enjoy watching their videos.

Written By: Howard on 04/23/16 at 2:09 pm

It was today (April 23rd) in 2005 when the first YouTube video was uploaded, titled "Me at the zoo".

Wow I can't believe it was 11 years ago?  :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/23/16 at 2:13 pm

Wow I can't believe it was 11 years ago?  :o
Yeap, 11 years, and has amass so much now.

Check for new replies or respond here...