inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The last VHS release?

Written By: Zelek2 on 03/30/16 at 10:23 pm

Anyone know what the last ever VHS released was? On Wikipedia, it said A History of Violence was the last release, coming in 2006, but recently someone changed it to say Eragon was the final VHS release, coming out in 2007.

Since Wikipedia can be edited by anyone, I have reason to doubt this. Also, while there's plenty of History of Violence tapes on eBay and Amazon, I have not been able to find a single Eragon tape anywhere on the Internet. I'm guessing it may be vandalism, but I'm curious: has anyone here owned an Eragon VHS, or seen it in the wild (I know, "Why would someone own such a terrible movie?" :P).

Subject: Re: The last VHS release?

Written By: mqg96 on 03/31/16 at 11:37 am

You're right, the 2006 one "A History of Violence" was the last VHS tape released, but even by then VHS was no longer common. VHS started dying out throughout 2003 but it was totally dead by 2005 or 2006.

Written By: Zelek2 on 03/31/16 at 12:58 pm

Have you seen an Eragon anywhere, possibly at a store or a friend's house? Do you think it's just a hoax?

Also, slightly unrelated, but watching some of my old DVDs lately, you can notice the death of VHS in "real time". In DVDs released from the 2005-06 school year, they usually say "Now on DVD and VHS", but on ones release from the 2006-07 school year, it's just "Now on DVD".

Written By: mqg96 on 03/31/16 at 1:30 pm

Have you seen an Eragon anywhere, possibly at a store or a friend's house? Do you think it's just a hoax?

I remember that movie, but I've only seen DVD releases, so it's most likely a hoax.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/31/16 at 3:12 pm

Also, slightly unrelated, but watching some of my old DVDs lately, you can notice the death of VHS in "real time". In DVDs released from the 2005-06 school year, they usually say "Now on DVD and VHS", but on ones release from the 2006-07 school year, it's just "Now on DVD".

Yeah, starting on the 2006-07 school year, DVDs were officially the norm for media uses. However, people barely uses DVDs right now, since sh*t like Netflix is more popular than them.

Written By: #Infinity on 03/31/16 at 3:12 pm

I remember that movie, but I've only seen DVD releases, so it's most likely a hoax.

If it was as late as 2007, then I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't find it at any stores. Retailers would be smart not to carry VHS tapes at all by that point, so if the Eragon cassette does exist, it's presumably just really rare.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/31/16 at 3:54 pm

If it was as late as 2007, then I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't find it at any stores. Retailers would be smart not to carry VHS tapes at all by that point, so if the Eragon cassette does exist, it's presumably just really rare.

I think the Eragon tape was only owned by VHS enthusiasts.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 03/31/16 at 8:14 pm

I think the Eragon tape was only owned by VHS enthusiasts.

Only if they had ever found one when it was being released back then.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/31/16 at 8:23 pm

Only if they had ever found one when it was being released back then.

Eh. It was probably rare, since barely anybody cared about the existence of VHS in 2007. I for one, didn't even know that Eragon was the last VHS release until last year. Despite the fact that I didn't use a VHS tape since 2009.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 03/31/16 at 9:44 pm

It's pretty crazy; where I live(Missouri) DVDs are STILL the standard!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :o :o

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/31/16 at 10:01 pm

That sounds about right. I remember that our local Best Buy stopped selling VHS movies around 2007 or so, and by that point they were rarely purchased anymore. I pretty much switched over to DVD completely after getting my PS2 in 2001. The last movie I recall buying on VHS was a used copy of The Fugitive around 2003 or so.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 03/31/16 at 10:13 pm

That sounds about right. I remember that our local Best Buy stopped selling VHS movies around 2007 or so, and by that point they were rarely purchased anymore. I pretty much switched over to DVD completely after getting my PS2 in 2001. The last movie I recall buying on VHS was a used copy of The Fugitive around 2003 or so.

WOW :o, I was still using VHS regularly in 2001 and 2002 until I got the PS2 in 2003. ;D ;D ;D  After that I rarely used VHS.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/31/16 at 10:53 pm

I bought a PS2 at launch but I was committed to VHS until 2004.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/01/16 at 5:56 am

I bought a PS2 at launch but I was committed to VHS until 2004.

I thought you like using VHS even after 2004.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/01/16 at 6:26 am

I thought you like using VHS even after 2004.

Yeah, but I'm talking about when I was forced to switch formats when it came to buying new movies. For example, when 2006 rolled around I wanted to buy Clerks II on tape but it was only on DVD and I was forced against my will. I still use my VCR to this day.

Written By: Howard on 04/01/16 at 7:24 am

WOW :o, I was still using VHS regularly in 2001 and 2002 until I got the PS2 in 2003. ;D ;D ;D  After that I rarely used VHS.

same here Eazy, we started using DVD players after that.

Written By: Zelek2 on 04/01/16 at 12:12 pm

My family continued to use VHS tapes until 2008 or so - far later than most of the people in this thread.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/01/16 at 12:16 pm

Oh, I still used my VCR all the time up through the mid '00s. Even though I almost completely stopped buying movies on VHS in favor of DVD's after I got my PS2, I didn't get my first DVR until the late '00s, so the VCR was still my primary means of recording stuff off TV until 2008.

Written By: Shemp97 on 04/01/16 at 12:38 pm

Dead by 2006 except for TV recordings.

Written By: Toon on 04/01/16 at 1:21 pm

Last year that I used VHS was 2003. Due to owning a VCR my family was still buying VHS tapes. But by 2004 we switched over to DVD.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/01/16 at 2:39 pm

My family continued to use VHS tapes until 2008 or so - far later than most of the people in this thread.

To be fair, my family thrown out their VCR in 2008.

Written By: Howard on 04/01/16 at 2:44 pm

To be fair, my family thrown out their VCR in 2008.

Was it broken? ???

Written By: 80sfan on 04/01/16 at 2:49 pm

Some movie from 2009?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/01/16 at 3:00 pm

Was it broken? ???

Not really. They just didn't want to use VHS tapes anymore.

Written By: Howard on 04/01/16 at 3:25 pm

Not really. They just didn't want to use VHS tapes anymore.

You could've just sold it.  ???

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/01/16 at 6:08 pm

I'm sitting ten feet from VCR right now.  :D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/01/16 at 6:09 pm

You could've just sold it.  ???

Yeah, but my dad didn't give a sh*t, since he though people didn't use VHS anymore by 2008.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/01/16 at 6:10 pm

I wish I had a VCR, so I could watch old-ass VHS tapes.

Written By: Howard on 04/02/16 at 7:15 am

What are you watching?

Check for new replies or respond here...