inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2000s technology ad campagins

Written By: bchris02 on 04/12/16 at 7:27 pm

This was probably one of my favorite.  I was thinking about this and it brings back a lot of memories.

p5Yt30wrbl4

This is perhaps one of the most embarrassing ad campaigns ever in the tech world.

sBbqGmY9FII

Even worse is the "100 Reasons why everyone is so speechless" campaign which I was unable to find.

What tech ad campaigns from the '00s do you remember fondly?

Subject: Re: 2000s technology ad campagins

Written By: Zelek2 on 04/12/16 at 7:30 pm

The launch of Windows 2000.

Vhh_GeBPOhs

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/12/16 at 7:43 pm

I remember one of the first iPhone commercials in 2007. I can't believe it's gonna ten years in 2017 after this phone was released. Although, I never really got an iOS device until 2011, it seemed alright. I thought it was some next-gen iPod or something like that. It looked like an iPod until nobody used them in the early 2010s.

abFd4KYzd6c

There was also an ad for Windows 7 that I admired in 2009, since I was fascinated with Windows OS history back then. Boy, did it look good.

7URC6c7U8LQ

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/12/16 at 9:17 pm

Dell Dude forever!

sZi1Ouc4Wtk

L7wfHStzm24

txVy47SyniY

8BsWijdM0W0

Written By: Slim95 on 04/12/16 at 11:45 pm

This was probably one of my favorite.  I was thinking about this and it brings back a lot of memories.

p5Yt30wrbl4

This is perhaps one of the most embarrassing ad campaigns ever in the tech world.

sBbqGmY9FII

Even worse is the "100 Reasons why everyone is so speechless" campaign which I was unable to find.

What tech ad campaigns from the '00s do you remember fondly?

The Vista ad looks very dated.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/13/16 at 12:19 am

The Vista ad looks very dated.

Yeah.  Here is the more common Vista ad.

aL3rfuKwMDI

Definitely very late '00s.  The Vista era was prior to the tablet/smartphone revolution and most people still used a desktop or a laptop.  The dominant mobile devices at the time were either the early Blackberry or clunky old Palm Pilots.  The foundations were being made for the mobile revolution. I think at the time, Microsoft had not caught on to the changes in the way people think about and use technology and that's why Vista became a marketing disaster.  It actually wasn't a terrible product after Service Pack 2.

Written By: Zelek2 on 04/13/16 at 12:44 am

Even though Windows 7 is clearly the superior OS, I find "Windows Vista" to be a slightly cooler name than "Windows 7". :P

Written By: Slim95 on 04/13/16 at 12:45 am

Even though Vista sucked, it still gives me major nostalgia for that time when I was around 12 years old.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/13/16 at 12:50 am

Even though Windows 7 is clearly the superior OS, I find "Windows Vista" to be a slightly cooler name than "Windows 7". :P

Windows 7 is basically Vista SP2 with a few UI tweaks.  They had to rebrand it to get away from the Vista perception issues.  There is an illusion that 7 was radically different because first and foremost, computers were significantly more powerful in late 2009 than they were in late 2006, and secondly, Microsoft made deals with computer manufacturers to tone down the installation of trial software on new PCs.  In the early Vista days, manufacturers simply loaded their trial software designed for XP onto new Vista machines and it wreaked havoc.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/13/16 at 12:54 am

Even though Vista sucked, it still gives me major nostalgia for that time when I was around 12 years old.

I was a very early Vista adopter and despite its issues, I do get nostalgic for it.  I had a love/hate relationship with it back in the day.  It was a significant step forward in terms of usability and interface (many of the features you now take for granted were introduced in Vista), but it also ran very heavily on computers of the day unless you had something super high-end.  My gaming PC didn't have a problem with Vista but my laptop could barely keep up so I ended up rolling back to XP.  It's biggest issue was marketing and the fact it was ahead of its time i.e. most 2007-era budget PCs weren't up to the task of running Vista.

Written By: Toon on 04/13/16 at 11:59 am

NwUqfwWenNw
HeJnA8ItA6s

I like when they make funny commercials to sell their products.

Also I miss the Windows boot up music
miZHa7ZC6Z0

tajDxBaPBBM

BFkry3zzutI

XP
7nQ2oiVqKHw

Vista
m2e4W8-Paqk
qnuTAa8LQiA

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/13/16 at 3:16 pm

I think they were trying to go to the same route with Apple, when they named all of their operating systems with numbers.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/13/16 at 10:26 pm

Dell Dude forever!

sZi1Ouc4Wtk

L7wfHStzm24

txVy47SyniY

8BsWijdM0W0

Now those bring back some memories! Actually, the "Dell Dude" seems alot like a slightly older version of myself back in the early '00s (minus the pot smoking of course, I was always a squeaky clean kid ;))

I was a very early Vista adopter and despite its issues, I do get nostalgic for it.  I had a love/hate relationship with it back in the day.  It was a significant step forward in terms of usability and interface (many of the features you now take for granted were introduced in Vista), but it also ran very heavily on computers of the day unless you had something super high-end.  My gaming PC didn't have a problem with Vista but my laptop could barely keep up so I ended up rolling back to XP.  It's biggest issue was marketing and the fact it was ahead of its time i.e. most 2007-era budget PCs weren't up to the task of running Vista.

I feel you. I was an early adopter of Vista myself. Got a $400 Toshiba laptop from Circuit City in September 2007 preloaded with Vista. That thing was pretty low-end and Vista could be painfully slow running on it, but I still got about two good years of use out of it, though. The HP Pavilion I got in '09 (which was towards the end of Vista's run) was much quicker.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/13/16 at 11:02 pm

Now those bring back some memories! Actually, the "Dell Dude" seems alot like a slightly older version of myself back in the early '00s (minus the pot smoking of course, I was always a squeaky clean kid ;))

I'm still like that. Spiky (dirty) blonde hair, puka shell necklace, "dude" lingo... I haven't changed my ways since 1995. ;) I've only smoked pot twice and I didn't like it so I guess I'm not as true to the Dell Dude name as I should be. :-\\

Written By: bchris02 on 04/13/16 at 11:43 pm

I feel you. I was an early adopter of Vista myself. Got a $400 Toshiba laptop from Circuit City in September 2007 preloaded with Vista. That thing was pretty low-end and Vista could be painfully slow running on it, but I still got about two good years of use out of it, though. The HP Pavilion I got in '09 (which was towards the end of Vista's run) was much quicker.

Yeah, that $400 laptop in 2007 should have never been loaded with Vista.  It took a high-end machine at that time to run it problem-free.  By 2009 the situation was much more favorable.

Here is another one.  You saw a ton of this kind of stuff during the waning days of dial-up, as providers were trying anything and everything to keep their customers from moving to broadband.  This is one of the more outrageous ones.

4NXKk7EaTKc

Written By: Toon on 04/15/16 at 1:33 am

AOL Commercial from late 2001.
Pk3jgYTbHzU

AOL Commercial from 2000
5NkHXmHgsJY

Written By: bchris02 on 04/16/16 at 3:44 pm

AOL Commercial from late 2001.
Pk3jgYTbHzU

AOL Commercial from 2000
5NkHXmHgsJY

Ah..."So easy to use no wonder its #1."  I forgot about that slogan.

Here are a few more that I remember.

YgbrNKxonac

Ma9tXopL2GY

nT9grmcIxwI

Written By: Toon on 04/16/16 at 7:51 pm

Ah..."So easy to use no wonder its #1."  I forgot about that slogan.

Here are a few more that I remember.

YgbrNKxonac

Ma9tXopL2GY

nT9grmcIxwI

Oh wow I remember these commercials. I really love that 2002 Cox commercial as it's always nice for companies to make silly commercials like that when promoting their latest tech.

4KklQJ328aY

Written By: GH1996 on 04/19/16 at 4:34 pm

Remember these?  :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQw3mVWXncg

Written By: Zelek2 on 04/19/16 at 4:49 pm

Did any of you guys watch the Windows 2000 conference video I linked? Isn't it an (unintentionally) hilarious classic? ;D

Written By: Toon on 04/19/16 at 7:32 pm

Did any of you guys watch the Windows 2000 conference video I linked? Isn't it an (unintentionally) hilarious classic? ;D

They need to make more funny tech videos/ads like they did back then.

Written By: Zelek2 on 04/19/16 at 8:06 pm

They need to make more funny tech videos/ads like they did back then.

I don't know if Steve Ballmer was intending to be funny there. ;D Maybe he was?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/14/16 at 7:38 am

This commercial will probably be amusing for most of you. I managed to find this on one of my VHS tapes a few years ago. A silver PS2 and analogue TV combo for $1399. Nowadays, you see analogue TVs placed on the side of roads, because no one wants them anymore. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsMmKq5EHZ4

Written By: Slim95 on 12/14/16 at 11:50 am

This commercial will probably be amusing for most of you. I managed to find this on one of my VHS tapes a few years ago. A silver PS2 and analogue TV combo for $1399. Nowadays, you see analogue TVs placed on the side of roads, because no one wants them anymore. :P

That commercial looks very outdated.

Written By: Howard on 12/14/16 at 2:52 pm

I don't remember The PS2 being silver? ???

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/14/16 at 3:39 pm

As much as I hate to admit it (because it means I'm getting older), the first half of the 2000's are officially outdated as hell. This video just proves that fact even more. :o

Written By: Zelek3 on 12/14/16 at 3:40 pm

As much as I hate to admit it (because it means I'm getting older), the first half of the 2000's are officially outdated as hell. This video just proves that fact even more. :o

Is 2005 the first half of the 00s or second half?

Written By: Slim95 on 12/14/16 at 3:49 pm

Is 2005 the first half of the 00s or second half?

Both. Mid 2005 is the start of the second half.

Written By: 2001 on 12/14/16 at 10:14 pm

Yo that's a baller looking TV.

Both. Mid 2005 is the start of the second half.

December 31, 2004 / January 1, 2005 are (approximately) the start of the second half. 2000-2004 are 5 years, 2005-2009 are another 5 years. Although, that doesn't contradict what mach!ne_he@d said, since if 2005 is outdated, then presumably the first half of the 2000s (2000-2004) is also outdated. ;D

Written By: Slim95 on 12/14/16 at 10:22 pm

Yo that's a baller looking TV.

December 31, 2004 / January 1, 2005 are (approximately) the start of the second half. 2000-2004 are 5 years, 2005-2009 are another 5 years. Although, that doesn't contradict what mach!ne_he@d said, since if 2005 is outdated, then presumably the first half of the 2000s (2000-2004) is also outdated. ;D

Oh you're right actually. I'm bad at math. ;D

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/14/16 at 11:48 pm

It was only a limited edition release. I'm pretty sure you could purchase the PlayStation 2 in other colours as well, but I think other colours were only available in limited releases.

That commercial looks very outdated.

I agree. It hasn't aged well at all! I have another technology commercial from 2003 as well (it starts at 2:00). The VCR/DVD combo looks prehistoric. :P It's amazing how much has changed within the space of 13 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VBa-_zoXPQ

Written By: 2001 on 12/15/16 at 2:51 pm

I have a silver PS2.

Generally, I like white consoles more than black ones. #AllLivesMatter

Written By: Zelek3 on 12/15/16 at 2:57 pm

In my opinion, the PS2 was Sony's last good console (sorry Howard).

Written By: 2001 on 12/15/16 at 3:03 pm

No need to apologize for speaking the T.

Except I don't have a PS4 so I can't say for sure, though I like hating on it since I'm a homo sapien with Internet access.

Written By: Howard on 12/15/16 at 3:05 pm

and the PS3 came second.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/15/16 at 10:08 pm

Here's another one, featuring a Carson Daly cameo for a few extra early '00s brownie points. Man, cell phones sure have changed since then. :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND6AWg2t5OQ

Written By: Howard on 12/16/16 at 7:28 am

Here's another one, featuring a Carson Daly cameo for a few extra early '00s brownie points. Man, cell phones sure have changed since then. :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND6AWg2t5OQ

Was that 15 years ago?

Check for new replies or respond here...