inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did Boyhood make you nostalgic for the 2000s?

Written By: 2001 on 04/30/16 at 11:37 am

Unless you've been living under a rock, the movie is about a boy born 1994 growing up. The movie is shot over 10 years and shows the boy going through different stages of life up until he graduates high school.

I first watched the movie in 2014, and I think it definitely kick started my early 2000s nostalgia. Especially the Iraq War, bike riding, graffiti and DBZ scenes. I saw a lot of myself in Mason. Also his sister reminded me of my cousin. Personality wise and music taste wise they were an exact match!

I rewatched the movie yesterday, and it made me very nostalgic for rest of the 2000s as well. Even though the movie is very melancholic, him going through the motions as a tween in the mid 2000s and a teen in the late 2000s/early 2010s made me super nostalgic. Especially the fashion, pop culture, political events and technology of the time. It felt like seeing my own childhood on the screen!

I'm very nostalgic even for the mid/late 2000s right now, even though they were crap times in my life. Damn this movie!  ;D

It was quite a different time.

Bonus for Jordan, there's some early 2000s pop punk music in the beginning.

Subject: Re: Did eBoyhood make you nostalgic for the 2000s?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/30/16 at 11:39 am

Nah, I'm pretty sure my own memories made me nostalgic for the 2000s.

Subject: Re: Did Boyhood make you nostalgic for the 2000s?

Written By: 2001 on 04/30/16 at 11:43 am

Nah, I'm pretty sure my own memories made me nostalgic for the 2000s.

Did you watch it? The kids are mostly born in the first half of the 90s so I'm not sure if you'll relate to it much, but it still has a lot of 2000s pop culture references  ;)

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/30/16 at 11:47 am

Never seen it and I wasn't born in the 90's so I don't think I'd really relate to it but what Pop Punk songs are playing at the beginning?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/30/16 at 11:50 am

Did you watch it? The kids are mostly born in the first half of the 90s so I'm not sure if you'll relate to it much, but it still has a lot of 2000s pop culture references  ;)

I remember when my mom watched it a couple years ago. I didn't watch the whole movie, but it was okay.

Written By: 2001 on 04/30/16 at 11:58 am

Never seen it and I wasn't born in the 90's so I don't think I'd really relate to it but what Pop Punk songs are playing at the beginning?

You should watch it!  >:( It has 98% ON RT and 8 on IMDB and isn't about 2000s nostalgia despite me painting it as such  ;D it's about a boy growing up in a single parent household and moving all the time because his mom keeps getting remarried. It was shot over 10 years, so it's the same characters throughout  :D

They played Blink 182's Anthem Part 2 and Hate To Say I Told You So by The Hives. Fortunately for you, there's no faux emo music, although
(minor spoiler)
there is a segment in the middle about how sadistic the Emo subculture got.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/30/16 at 12:03 pm

You should watch it!  >:( It has 98% ON RT and 8 on IMDB and isn't about 2000s nostalgia despite me painting it as such  ;D it's about a boy growing up in a single parent household and moving all the time because his mom keeps getting remarried. It was shot over 10 years, so it's the same characters throughout  :D

They played Blink 182's Anthem Part 2 and Hate To Say I Told You So by The Hives. Fortunately for you, there's no faux emo music, although
(minor spoiler)
there is a segment in the middle about how sadistic the Emo subculture got.

I might just watch the shot-in-2002 scenes and that's it. ;D Ok, maybe I might check it out. The Hives aren't really Pop Punk but I knew about them before they were cool 'cause in my 1997 Epitaph catalog-type-thing it had the first Hives album. Sorry, had to brag. But that's all they played? Anthem pt. 2 is pretty good (1 is better, to be honest) but they should of played more. What specifically do they mention when talking about how? Like how it went from Weezer/Jimmy Eat World to Hawthorne Heights and crap?

Written By: 2001 on 04/30/16 at 12:14 pm

I might just watch the shot-in-2002 scenes and that's it. ;D Ok, maybe I might check it out. The Hives aren't really Pop Punk but I knew about them before they were cool 'cause in my 1997 Epitaph catalog-type-thing it had the first Hives album. Sorry, had to brag. But that's all they played? Anthem pt. 2 is pretty good (1 is better, to be honest) but they should of played more. What specifically do they mention when talking about how? Like how it went from Weezer/Jimmy Eat World to Hawthorne Heights and crap?

The Early 2000s (2002/2003) part is good chunk of the movie, but you should watch the whole thing  ;D There aren't that many songs in the movie. They just play them or make references to them to tell you what time period it is.

(bigger spoilers)

No, there's no emo music or references to them. The main character's has an emo phase, complete with cutting herself, although they don't show it.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/30/16 at 12:18 pm

The Early 2000s (2002/2003) part is good chunk of the movie, but you should watch the whole thing  ;D There aren't that many songs in the movie. They just play them or make references to them to tell you what time period it is.

(bigger spoilers)

No, there's no emo music or references to them. The main character's has an emo phase, complete with cutting herself

Oh, ok. Well, then maybe I'll see. I hope the 2002 scenes have chain wallets and bleached spiky hair complete with AOL and Windows 98 dial up (staying true to the spirit of '98).

But that one part right there? 8-P Why couldn't she have a real Emo phase?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/c8/8d/41/c88d411a8dcd47f3e959f265f216dc91.jpg

I guess a 2002 Pop Punk phase is cooler. Everyone drank Pepsi Cyanide in 2005...

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/30/16 at 5:08 pm

YES!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

The guy was about a year older than me, and I'm like wow this guy just took me on a ride back to my own childhood. Except PS2 was my main console for years while XBOX was his.... A lot of the trails and tribulations he went through I went through myself. I can't believe the academy chose Birdman over this film, dumbassess! >:(

Written By: 2001 on 04/30/16 at 5:30 pm

YES!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

The guy was about a year older than me, and I'm like wow this guy just took me on a ride back to my own childhood. Except PS2 was my main console for years while XBOX was his.... A lot of the trails and tribulations he went through I went through myself. I can't believe the academy chose Birdman over this film, dumbassess! >:(

Yay, finally someone who feels the same way  :D

Haha yes, he should get better gaming taste. Xbox?!  ;D At least he had a GBA. He had good taste in TV shows too, and his sister had great taste in music LOL

The way he designs his first bedroom too. Ooof. Death by nostalgia.

His hair and fashion in the late 2000s was 100% me. Jordan's gonna love that part.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/30/16 at 6:44 pm

I thought it was fascinating to follow the life of somebody growing up from 2002 to 2014, keeping in mind which year every scene must have been filmed, but since there wasn't even that much of a focus on the earliest years, I wouldn't really call the movie a full-on splash of early 2000s nostalgia.

Written By: 2001 on 04/30/16 at 6:53 pm

I thought it was fascinating to follow the life of somebody growing up from 2002 to 2014, keeping in mind which year every scene must have been filmed, but since there wasn't even that much of a focus on the earliest years, I wouldn't really call the movie a full-on splash of early 2000s nostalgia.

I think the first 30-40 minutes or so was early 2000s, well, really just 2003. I wouldn't call it an early 2000s kid nostalgia movie though, since it was one of the least relevant parts of the movie. I can't deny that it kickstarted my nostalgia though, the part where he's watching DBZ, riding his bike, and doing graffiti on the walls lol.

The part where his dad lectures him on the Iraq War also resonated with me, since that's what my parents and a lot of my teachers did to me as well

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/30/16 at 9:27 pm

Yay, finally someone who feels the same way  :D

Haha yes, he should get better gaming taste. Xbox?!  ;D At least he had a GBA. He had good taste in TV shows too, and his sister had great taste in music LOL

The way he designs his first bedroom too. Ooof. Death by nostalgia.

His hair and fashion in the late 2000s was 100% me. Jordan's gonna love that part.

The XBOX is sick, what are you talking about? Do you not like good systems?

That late 00's part sounds awful! I will watch a movie that actually focuses on the early 00s, instead...

http://i.somethingawful.com/inserts/articlepics/photoshop/movies/EvilJesus_emo.jpg

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/04/16 at 8:46 pm

I have been wanting to see this movie, not so much for nostalgic reasons (as the main character is several years younger than me), but because it just looks like a really good film. It's certainly a very unique concept, which is refreshing in an era where over-produced, generic action flicks seem to dominate the cinema landscape. I have not yet been able to see it, but hopefully will have the chance at some point.

Written By: 2001 on 05/04/16 at 9:05 pm

I have been wanting to see this movie, not so much for nostalgic reasons (as the main character is several years younger than me), but because it just looks like a really good film. It's certainly a very unique concept, which is refreshing in an era where over-produced, generic action flicks seem to dominate the cinema landscape. I have not yet been able to see it, but hopefully will have the chance at some point.

It's a terrific movie! It's not a nostalgia movie at all despite me painting as such. It's a coming of age movie, as the kid moves from his childhood into teenage hood into adulthood (hence the name of the movie), I think everyone would be able to relate. The story telling is top notch. In a way, I was sad when the movie ended, I didn't want it to end  ;D I wonder if we'll get a new movie "Adulthood" in 10 years.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/05/16 at 1:13 pm

Haven't seen boyhood but I need to.  It isn't really my generation, but will still be interesting to watch.  I am sure the late 2000s part of the movie will make me very nostalgic.  I was in my early twenties then but I could still relate to what teenagers were into.  The late 2000s and early 2010s were pretty much the high point of my life.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/05/16 at 1:56 pm

It's a terrific movie! It's not a nostalgia movie at all despite me painting as such. It's a coming of age movie, as the kid moves from his childhood into teenage hood into adulthood (hence the name of the movie), I think everyone would be able to relate. The story telling is top notch. In a way, I was sad when the movie ended, I didn't want it to end  ;D I wonder if we'll get a new movie "Adulthood" in 10 years.
Original to be called "12 Years" but that would clash with "12 Years a Slave".

There is already a movie called "Adulthood", it is British and released in 2008.

Written By: Toon on 05/05/16 at 5:44 pm

He started the movie as a boy, but he ended the movie as a man! 8) That's what we call crazy character development.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/05/16 at 5:50 pm

He started the movie as a boy, but he ended the movie as a man! 8) That's what we call crazy character development.
Not crazy, but inventive.

Written By: Toon on 05/05/16 at 5:56 pm

Not crazy, but inventive.

Ah, yes.  ;D Inventive is a better way of putting it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/16 at 3:15 am

Ah, yes.  ;D Inventive is a better way of putting it.
O0

Written By: Howard on 05/06/16 at 7:29 am

Which film are you referring to? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/16 at 8:13 am

Which film are you referring to? ???
The movie concerned is "Boyhood"...

Check for new replies or respond here...