inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What were the big mid and late 2000s kid fads?

Written By: 2001 on 05/07/16 at 10:12 pm

When I think of the big early 2000s kid fads, I think:
*Pokémon cards and games
*Harry Potter books
*Yu-Gi-Oh cards
*Beyblade (though this can be considered mid as well)

But I don't know any of the big fads that came afterwards. I think it would be interesting to know. What would you say are the fads are that almost every kid was in on?

Subject: Re: What were the big mid and late 2000s kid fads?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/08/16 at 12:16 am

Reagarding the mid 00s.... It's kinda hard to determine, seeing as how the mid 2000s lacked a cultural kid identity.

Written By: 2001 on 05/08/16 at 8:20 am

I think the late 2000s had Hannah Montana, and all her toys, clothes, music etc. I'm sure there were a few more.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/08/16 at 9:17 am

Wow. A non-early 2000s kid thread made by Slowpoke. That's amusing. Anyways, for the mid-late 2000s kid fads, there was:

- Kidz Bop (despite being around since 2001, it became more popular in the mid 2000s)
- Asking parents' permission to go on official company websites (even though it's been around since the late 90s)
- YouTube (Smosh, Numa Numa videos, etc.)
- Justin Timberlake
- Yogos Bits
- iPods
- Playing the Game Boy Advance, Wii, DS, Xbox 360, Playstation 3, etc.
- Sonic X
- High School Musical
- Hannah Montana
- Harry Potter
- Drake and Josh
- iCarly (along with Miranda Cosgrove)
- Zoey 101
- Anything related to Dreamworks or Pixar
- Neopets
- Club Penguin
- Black Eyed Peas
- Tooth Tunes
- Class of 3000
- Chowder
- Cheese from Foster's Home from Imaginary Friends
- Fred Fredburger from Billy and Mandy

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/08/16 at 11:01 am

I'll throw in Naruto. The Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh card craze is a bit false. The fads basically became non existent by 04.

Written By: 2001 on 05/08/16 at 11:04 am

Wow. A non-early 2000s kid thread made by Slowpoke. That's amusing. Anyways, for the mid-late 2000s kid fads, there was:

- Kidz Bop (despite being around since 2001, it became more popular in the mid 2000s)
- Asking parents' permission to go on official company websites (even though it's been around since the late 90s)
- YouTube (Smosh, Numa Numa videos, etc.)
- Justin Timberlake
- Yogos Bits
- iPods
- Playing the Game Boy Advance, Wii, DS, Xbox 360, Playstation 3, etc.
- Sonic X
- High School Musical
- Hannah Montana
- Harry Potter
- Drake and Josh
- iCarly (along with Miranda Cosgrove)
- Zoey 101
- Anything related to Dreamworks or Pixar
- Neopets
- Club Penguin
- Black Eyed Peas
- Tooth Tunes
- Class of 3000
- Chowder
- Cheese from Foster's Home from Imaginary Friends
- Fred Fredburger from Billy and Mandy

Haha, I'm trying! Most those look like TV shows/music/games. I was wondering if there were toys and stuff. Although of course I do remember the iPod craze  :D

Written By: 2001 on 05/08/16 at 11:08 am

I'll throw in Naruto. The Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh card craze is a bit false. The fads basically became non existent by 04.
Oh my cousin had action figures for everything Naruto, I remember that  :D

The ones I listed are early 2000s fads. I wrote those just to give an idea of the type of stuff I was looking for.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/08/16 at 11:24 am

Haha, I'm trying! Most those look like TV shows/music/games. I was wondering if there were toys and stuff. Although of course I do remember the iPod craze  :D

Yeah, I wasn't into the fashion or any other trends at the time. So, I thought mentioning shows that were around would count as fads.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/08/16 at 11:38 am

I won't list late 2000s fads because that's completely different from the mid 00's and I was already a teen in the late 00's.

Mid 00's Fads:

Livestrong Bracelets
50 Cent
Black Eyed Peas
Ciara
Britney Spears
Eminem
Harry Potter
Zoey 101
Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide
That's So Raven
IPods
Motorola Razr Flip Phone
Suit Life of Zack and Cody
CDs/DVDs
Disney Pixar/Dreamworks films like Cars, Finding Nemo, Madagascar, etc.
Blockbuster
MySpace
Old YouTube
FunnyJunk
FreeOnlineGames/MiniClip

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/08/16 at 11:42 am

I won't list late 2000s fads because that's completely different from the mid 00's and I was already a teen in the late 00's.

Mid 00's Fads:

Livestrong Bracelets
50 Cent
Black Eyed Peas
Ciara
Britney Spears
Eminem
Harry Potter
Zoey 101
That's So Raven
IPods

Motorola Razr Flip Phone
CDs/DVDs

Damn, it was like 2005 when those were around.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/08/16 at 11:43 am

For the mid 00s, The Moto Razr Flip Phone was HUGE back then. It was at the same level an IPhone is today. CDs and DVDs were very frequently used. Having a CD collection case was considered cool and DVD format was the standard everywhere for new released of films. IPod Nano was big then too.

For the late 00s, Blackberry was huge. Blu-Ray was big, digital streaming just started taking off.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/08/16 at 11:44 am

Damn, it was like 2005 when those were around.

All of those that I listed were popular in 2005. Most of the mid 00's fads were big in 2005.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/08/16 at 11:50 am

Mid 00's Fads:

Livestrong Bracelets
50 Cent
Black Eyed Peas
Ciara
Britney Spears
Eminem
Harry Potter
Zoey 101
That's So Raven
IPods
Motorola Razr Flip Phone
CDs/DVDs
Blockbuster

and Teen Titans too, great list man!  :)

Written By: mqg96 on 05/08/16 at 11:52 am

Also, I don't know if Blockbuster really belongs in the mid 2000's kid fad section. Sure, it was still around throughout the 2000's, but it certainly did start declining around that time due to the transition into the digital age happening. I think Blockbuster belongs in the 90's, that's really when the store peaked.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/08/16 at 11:54 am

Also, I don't know if Blockbuster really belongs in the mid 2000's kid fad section. Sure, it was still around throughout the 2000's, but it certainly did start declining around that time due to the transition into the digital age happening. I think Blockbuster belongs in the 90's, that's really when the store peaked.

As a kid of the 00's, I went to Blockbuster every weekend with my parents to choose a film to watch. That's why it belongs there. It didn't close its business until 2011, so it's both a 90s and 00s trend. The digital age slowly started increasing, but physical media was by far still the first choice in the mid 00's opposed to today.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/08/16 at 11:59 am

For the mid 00s, The Moto Razr Flip Phone was HUGE back then. It was at the same level an IPhone is today. CDs and DVDs were very frequently used. Having a CD collection case was considered cool and DVD format was the standard everywhere for new released of films. IPod Nano was big then too.

I really miss when society was like that in the mid 2000s. They weren't obsessed like warhogs with technology, unlike today's people.

Written By: Howard on 05/08/16 at 3:04 pm

For the late 00s, Blackberry was huge. Blu-Ray was big, digital streaming just started taking off.

and that was the best part of the late 2000's.

Written By: Howard on 05/08/16 at 3:06 pm

Blockbuster was peaking in the 90's, video tapes were big at that time.

Written By: Howard on 05/08/16 at 3:08 pm

I really miss when society was like that in the mid 2000s. They weren't obsessed like warhogs with technology, unlike today's people.

Now everyone just stares at their phones.  ::)
http://i.huffpost.com/gen/2349602/thumbs/o-SMARTPHONE-570.jpg?1

Written By: 2001 on 05/08/16 at 3:12 pm

Kids had Razrs and Blackberries?  :o those are teen trends lol. I know kids had iPods and MP3 players though.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/08/16 at 3:48 pm

Kids had Razrs and Blackberries?  :o those are teen trends lol. I know kids had iPods and MP3 players though.

Older kids and teens may have had cellphones, but you're right it wasn't common as it is today.

Written By: Toon on 05/09/16 at 12:37 am

Now everyone just stares at their phones.  ::)
http://i.huffpost.com/gen/2349602/thumbs/o-SMARTPHONE-570.jpg?1

Wonder if kids will ever become less obsessed with their phones. Would be a strange if by the time we reach the 2060s and kids/teens still put a lot of time into their phones/tablets.

Written By: #Infinity on 05/09/16 at 12:48 am

Well, if we're focusing strictly on kid fads, then definitely these:

http://oceanofgames.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Avatar-The-Last-Airbender-Free-Download.jpg

http://static.idolator.com/uploads/2016/03/miley-hannah-montana-tribute-compressed.jpg

http://ib1.huluim.com/show_key_art/1304?size=1600x600&region=US

https://i1.ytimg.com/sh/py2PmcjHg6c/showposter.jpg?v=503bb91d

http://www.billboard.com/files/styles/article_main_image/public/media/jonas-brothers-2008-billboard.jpg

http://imgmr.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/wii_console.jpg

http://o.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/adam/20eef9ee2eb33eedbe24cf169fd1365/630x.jpg

Written By: Slim95 on 05/09/16 at 1:11 am

Wonder if kids will ever become less obsessed with their phones. Would be a strange if by the time we reach the 2060s and kids/teens still put a lot of time into their phones/tablets.

Phones/tablets won't exist in the 2060s. By then we will all be half-robot probably. People will look back to today and see the innocence of these little pieces of plastic used for communicating.

Written By: Toon on 05/09/16 at 1:17 am

- 7th Gen Consoles (Wii, PSP, PS3, XB360, DS)
http://gambitcon.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/100_81_1418876866398_7thGenerationConsoles.jpg
Although 6th gen consoles were also still available in the mid-late '00s as well.

- CN City
HE5SRI_vV1c
Along with shows such as Foster's Home, Ben 10, Camp Lazlo, Chowder, Flapjack etc (although a few wasn't in the CN City, but I don't know the name of the era that existed in the late '00s).

- Youtube Poop and Youtube in general
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/youtubepoop/images/e/e6/YoutubePoopMain.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130210101942
http://i.imgur.com/YNyqYdu.jpg

- Call of Duty Modern Warfare  (although this can just be grouped in with 7th gen gaming)
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/callofduty/images/8/8a/CoD4_boxart.png/revision/latest?cb=20110107234635https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/db/Modern_Warfare_2_cover.PNG

- Iron Man and the beginning of the Marvel cinematic universe
http://www.comixbrew.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/iron-man-poster.jpg

- Post Renaissance Disney Movies
http://www.listchallenges.com/f/lists/6a804f3a-6780-4a54-b908-5cc29feab2c4.jpg

- Pixar Movies such as Incredibles, Finding Nemo, Cars etc
http://www.etonline.com/media/photo/2013/06/24022655/640_Pixarmovies_DisneyPixar.jpg

- Dreamworks
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-mswmHPQVPFI/VruruQ0piQI/AAAAAAAAAGU/QlE49H0HReU/s1600/dreamworks-animation-films.png

And the previous posters have already named a few others that I was gonna put on here.

Written By: Toon on 05/09/16 at 1:23 am

Phones/tablets won't exist in the 2060s. By then we will all be half-robot probably. People will look back to today and see the innocence of these little pieces of plastic used for communicating.

Ha! Who'll need tablets/phones when humans will be part tablet/phone. All you'll need to do is enter a command into your brain and you'll call someone miles away without any portable device. I can see the 2010s as being seen as "ancient" by the time we reach the 2060s. Everything we see now in the 2010s will either be evolved, changed, or removed by the time we reach 2060.

Written By: musicguy93 on 05/09/16 at 1:56 am

Ha! Who'll need tablets/phones when humans will be part tablet/phone. All you'll need to do is enter a command into your brain and you'll call someone miles away without any portable device. I can see the 2010s as being seen as "ancient" by the time we reach the 2060s. Everything we see now in the 2010s will either be evolved, changed, or removed by the time we reach 2060.

Hopefully we will find a way to travel back in time long before then, so we can save ourselves from such a screwed up future  :o. It'd be like Trunks went back in time to save the world from the Androids in DBZ. That would be sick :D.

Written By: musicguy93 on 05/09/16 at 2:05 am

I was noticing social media creeping up with Myspace in the mid 00s, even though I never had one (I was probably the only kid my age that didn't have a Myspace). However, nowhere in my mind could I predict that social media would be so overblown like it is now in the 2010s. Not to mention, people seem more interested in trendy hipster technology like smart phones/watches/tablets etc. Even in the mid 00s, life felt more balanced, than it does now.

Written By: #Infinity on 05/09/16 at 2:18 am

That's an interesting thought. Just for fun, here's a projection for how I think technology will evolve over the course of the next century:

2020s: Rise of VR headsets, self-driving cars, legit hoverboards, and primitive holograms
2030s: Holographic technology becomes standard; A.I. is able to think for itself, albeit at a simplistic level
2040s: Mind-control headsets which allow you to control an object or even another human being through mind impulses (primordial technology of this sort actually already exists)
2050s: Synthetic matter holographic technology; A.I. machines begin to have human-level intelligence
2060s: Medical treatment allows for humans to live exponentially longer lives than usual; androids nearly monopolize the job market, leaving computer programming, r&d, and the arts the only real career options for humans
2070s: The Internet begins to evolve into a virtual world, albeit a fairly simplistic one by this point
2080s: Virtual worlds begin to grow more complex, vaguely resembling real life
2090s: Humans begin officially inhabiting Mars; android culture (not the smartphone, now an vintage antique) is a prominent part of global trends
2100s: Early teleportation technology begins to emerge; this process is slow and painful, but approved for commercial use
2110s: Virtual worlds now rival those of The Matrix in sophistication

The really scary thing is, a lot of people alive today will live long enough to see everything I predict. Heck, depending on how medical technology evolves, it may even be possible for most members here to make it to the 22nd century.

Written By: Toon on 05/09/16 at 2:55 am

Hopefully we will find a way to travel back in time long before then, so we can save ourselves from such a screwed up future  :o. It'd be like Trunks went back in time to save the world from the Androids in DBZ. That would be sick :D.

Problem with time travel is the risk of paradoxes.  :(

That's an interesting thought. Just for fun, here's a projection for how I think technology will evolve over the course of the next century:

2020s: Rise of VR headsets, self-driving cars, legit hoverboards, and primitive holograms
2030s: Holographic technology becomes standard; A.I. is able to think for itself, albeit at a simplistic level
2040s: Mind-control headsets which allow you to control an object or even another human being through mind impulses (primordial technology of this sort actually already exists)
2050s: Synthetic matter holographic technology; A.I. machines begin to have human-level intelligence
2060s: Medical treatment allows for humans to live exponentially longer lives than usual; androids nearly monopolize the job market, leaving computer programming, r&d, and the arts the only real career options for humans
2070s: The Internet begins to evolve into a virtual world, albeit a fairly simplistic one by this point
2090s: Humans begin officially inhabiting Mars; android culture (not the smartphone, now an vintage antique) is a prominent part of global trends
2100s: Early teleportation technology begins to emerge; this process is slow and painful, but approved for commercial use

The really scary thing is, a lot of people alive today will live long enough to see everything I predict. Heck, depending on how medical technology evolves, it may even be possible for most members here to make it to the 22nd century.

Nice predictions. Can see how a lot of these would end up changing the world. And you even give an example of things either evolving, changing, or being removed. For example in the 2020s we'd have virtual reality, but by the late 21st century we'd have full virtual worlds. And the 22nd century will just open up even more advancements. I'm really interested in seeing the mid-late 21st century. 2020s already seem to have tons of predicted advancements in technology and it's crazy to think that the 2020s is 4 years from now. And you make an interesting point on the medicine. As time moves on the predicted life span of humans increases. We may reach a point where due to advanced medicine being 60 years old feels exactly the same as being 30. Heck we humans may end up living as long as sea turtles (over 100-150 years) or longer. We may reach a point in time where it'll be common for a human to live and experience an entire century and all the changes and advancements that took place. Hope I live long enough. Gotta keep my body healthy to increase my life span.  ;)

Written By: mqg96 on 05/09/16 at 5:53 am

I do have some nostalgia for some of those mid & late 2000's kid fad's though. Still being in my peak childhood (2004-2006) and my late childhood/early teen years (2007-2009) at the time. Avatar The Last Airbender was amazing! Naruto was a great anime and the manga was great too. The Nintendo DS had so many epic games, especially Mario Kart DS and New Super Mario Bros. The Wii, despite being the decline of Nintendo for true gamers, still had great Mario games like Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 (best 3-D Mario platformer of all time hands down), Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, and New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Iron Man was an epic movie which started off the Marvel Cinematic Universe which we're still in today. Now as for Call of Duty Modern Warfare, I didn't get a chance to play those games, but I remember people talking about how great those were throughout middle school. Early Youtube, or pre-HD Youtube, was amazing when it was still pretty new and nobody had experienced anything like it before. CN City era (mid 2004-early 2006) for Cartoon Network, which was my 2nd favorite era of CN throughout my childhood, the silver age of CN. Still many great original shows at the time and reruns of older ones being played from time to time. The first couple of years of live-action Fridays were pretty good and Toonami/Miguzi was coming up with some epic lineups. Jetix introduced me to so much more Marvel characters. So overall it was an underrated, under-appreciated time pop culturally. While the late 2000's might have had more of a cultural identity than the mid 2000's overall. I still think that the mid 2000's was great for being a kid as well as the early 2000's. The late 2000's kid culture was only good for the video games IMO (and even then it wasn't as good as the earlier years), but the rest of it was very lackluster. Jonas Brothers, Hannah Montana, post-Ratatouille Pixar movies (except for Toy Story 3), the toys/fads at the time, etc. just were NOT for me.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/09/16 at 10:31 am

I wasn't a kid during the late 2000s, but I remember Drake & Josh, Hannah Montana, and High School Musical merchandise being everywhere.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/09/16 at 12:34 pm

I wasn't a kid during the late 2000s, but I remember Drake & Josh, Hannah Montana, and High School Musical merchandise being everywhere.

I remember watching Drake and Josh so much in 2007 and 2008. It's like my favorite show made by Dan Schneider.

Written By: Howard on 05/09/16 at 3:08 pm

I doubt it.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 05/09/16 at 3:09 pm

Why would I want to be a robot?

Written By: Toon on 05/09/16 at 6:20 pm

Why would I want to be a robot?

For the robotic benefit.  ??? To be honest I don't want to be part robot either. It's pretty interesting to go online and see articles talking about how in the 2030s onward humans may end up being hybrids.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 05/09/16 at 9:15 pm

For the robotic benefit.  ??? To be honest I don't want to be part robot either. It's pretty interesting to go online and see articles talking about how in the 2030s onward humans may end up being hybrids.

It's very unlikely for robots to replace humans any time in the future, that's just science fiction.

Written By: 2001 on 05/09/16 at 9:22 pm

It's very unlikely for robots to replace humans any time in the future, that's just science fiction.

Robots aren't replacing humans, adjustments are being made to humans to make them more robot/computer like.

Or at least, that's the theory. There's also a theory about instead of terraforming Mars, we will rebuild the human body so it can adapt to life on Mars.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/09/16 at 9:33 pm

I was noticing social media creeping up with Myspace in the mid 00s, even though I never had one (I was probably the only kid my age that didn't have a Myspace). However, nowhere in my mind could I predict that social media would be so overblown like it is now in the 2010s. Not to mention, people seem more interested in trendy hipster technology like smart phones/watches/tablets etc. Even in the mid 00s, life felt more balanced, than it does now.

Yeah, MySpace might've seemed like it was everywhere back in 2006, but that wasn't really the case looking back at it from today's perspective. I was somewhat late to the MySpace game myself, and was far from being the type of social outcast that you probably are these days if you don't have a presence on sites like Facebook and Twitter. Even when I finally did create my own MySpace page in the summer of 2006, I'd say that probably about half of the people in my immediate circle of friends still hadn't signed up yet.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/09/16 at 9:36 pm

Yeah, MySpace might've seemed like it was everywhere back in 2006, but that wasn't really the case looking back at it from today's perspective. I was somewhat late to the MySpace game myself, and was far from being the type of social outcast that you probably are these days if you don't have a presence on sites like Facebook and Twitter. Even when I finally did create my own MySpace page in the summer of 2006, I'd say that probably about half of the people in my immediate circle of friends still hadn't signed up yet.

MySpace already started and became popular in 2004.

Written By: Zelek2 on 05/09/16 at 9:46 pm

The MySpace "era" was 2005-2008, according to Wikipedia. After that, it began to die a slow and painful death, concluding in 2011.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/09/16 at 9:51 pm

The MySpace "era" was 2005-2008, according to Wikipedia. After that, it began to die a slow and painful death, concluding in 2011.

I suppose their early years was 2003-2004.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/09/16 at 9:52 pm

I never had MySpace but I remember when it first started gaining momentum in 2004. When I still went to shows, around 2004, instead of bands saying "hey, visit our Tripod/Angelfire/Geocities page!" they would say "Visit our MySpace!" and soon enough after that, more and more kids started making their own personal profiles. 2004-2009 was the true MySpace era.

Written By: Toon on 05/09/16 at 9:57 pm

Didn't say that robots were replacing humans. Rather humans will just have cybernetic enhancements which is something that we're starting to see today.
Rx9I_hYqQcM

We're just in the early age of cybernetic enhancements. Within the next few decades it may be common for humans to walk around with cybernetic limbs.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/10/16 at 12:50 am

Didn't say that robots were replacing humans. Rather humans will just have cybernetic enhancements which is something that we're starting to see today.
Rx9I_hYqQcM

We're just in the early age of cybernetic enhancements. Within the next few decades it may be common for humans to walk around with cybernetic limbs.

Never taking those or microchips my whole life, ever!  8-P

Hell, even a lot of technology installed in modern cars are becoming more threatening too, where a hacker could possibly end up hijacking your car on the road putting your life in great danger.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/10/16 at 1:46 am

Nice optimistic predictions.  We will be lucky if the 21st century looks anything like that.  My guess is you are probably a fan of Michio Kaku, who has a similar optimistic view about where we are headed.

I have a feeling however that some sort of major economic collapse or world war is going to happen sometime this century that is going to set back a lot of progress.  It's hard for me to really be optimistic about a society that would elect Donald Trump as its leader.  The movie Idiocracy is an excellent watch and I think it lays out a loose framework for where we are going over the next few centuries as humanity.  One difference between Idiocracy and how it will really play out is there will be a lot more violence and people will not be near as wealthy.  The year 2100, in my prediction, will be a hybrid world that is both more advanced than the early 21st century in some ways but less advanced in others.  One example is that there will be computers and an Internet far more powerful and advanced than we can even imagine today, but the automobile and the airplane will be all but history.  People will travel long distances by train or boat and short distances by walking or horseback.  This is something we are going to need to prepare for as a society as we go beyond peak oil.  America will either remain a nation-state but will slowly evolve into a dictatorship, or will break up into multiple smaller countries or maybe even city states.  A nation as divided as this cannot stand long term.

I think humanity will realize, probably even within the next decade, that social media and immersion in virtual worlds can not replace real life experience and real life relationships.  There will probably be a social media backlash coming.  I think its almost inevitable.

In terms of life expectancy, in best case scenario we will start seeing more people live to 100 but I doubt life expectancy will ever pass 110 nor should it.  The world is overpopulated enough as it is and that would only compound the problem.  Unfortunately, I think life expectancy will start to decline due to war, famine, climate change, sedentary lifestyles, etc.  Plus, in a capitalistic society, the powers that be will never allow medicine to advance to that point.  There is simply too much money in the medical industry today.

Written By: 2001 on 05/10/16 at 6:56 am

Wow that is extremely bleak  :o I think electric cars will take over in the 2020s and 2030s, and the Green tech revolution will happen by the start of the 2050s (or God help us....). I can see air travel becoming more expensive before it becomes impossible, although peak oil does scare me. Hopefully we can find replacements by then.

Written By: #Infinity on 05/10/16 at 7:34 am

Nice optimistic predictions.  We will be lucky if the 21st century looks anything like that.  My guess is you are probably a fan of Michio Kaku, who has a similar optimistic view about where we are headed.

I have a feeling however that some sort of major economic collapse or world war is going to happen sometime this century that is going to set back a lot of progress.  It's hard for me to really be optimistic about a society that would elect Donald Trump as its leader.  The movie Idiocracy is an excellent watch and I think it lays out a loose framework for where we are going over the next few centuries as humanity.  One difference between Idiocracy and how it will really play out is there will be a lot more violence and people will not be near as wealthy.  The year 2100, in my prediction, will be a hybrid world that is both more advanced than the early 21st century in some ways but less advanced in others.  One example is that there will be computers and an Internet far more powerful and advanced than we can even imagine today, but the automobile and the airplane will be all but history.  People will travel long distances by train or boat and short distances by walking or horseback.  This is something we are going to need to prepare for as a society as we go beyond peak oil.  America will either remain a nation-state but will slowly evolve into a dictatorship, or will break up into multiple smaller countries or maybe even city states.  A nation as divided as this cannot stand long term.

I think humanity will realize, probably even within the next decade, that social media and immersion in virtual worlds can not replace real life experience and real life relationships.  There will probably be a social media backlash coming.  I think its almost inevitable.

In terms of life expectancy, in best case scenario we will start seeing more people live to 100 but I doubt life expectancy will ever pass 110 nor should it.  The world is overpopulated enough as it is and that would only compound the problem.  Unfortunately, I think life expectancy will start to decline due to war, famine, climate change, sedentary lifestyles, etc.  Plus, in a capitalistic society, the powers that be will never allow medicine to advance to that point.  There is simply too much money in the medical industry today.

Oh, I definitely wouldn't count some major global economic or social crisis out of possibility for the coming century, but I think you exaggerate how much the problems of the world will set back progress. Throughout the course of world history, there have always been severe political and economic conflicts. However, they have almost never reversed technological progress. Even after the onset of the Great Depression and coming into World War II, talkies and radios became household phenomena that they were not in the prosperous 1920s, the microphone revolutionized music, and investment in war technology led to numerous telecommunication and vehicular innovations; by the end of the war, the world was on an all-time high in progress. The Cold War also fueled technological advancement; it's likely we wouldn't even have the Internet today if not for the need to drastically improve networking technology. Even if half the world population was wiped out due to nuclear war or something, you would still have enough survivors with diverse technological backgrounds that established technologies would either rebound or weather the crisis completely.

I think your fears about America's devolution into a dictatorship are inflated due to your small town Missouri setting. Even if he wins this November, Donald Trump has attracted far more backlash than support, the latter of which is mostly coming from older generations, anyway. If he becomes President of the United States, he will be unable to pass most of his agenda due to the fact that even prominent members of his own party are in arms against him; this would seal his fate as a failed President, thus giving more leverage to the Democrats in 2020. As we get further into the 2020s and then the 2030s, the generations that support Bernie Sanders will inevitably become the dominant political force, while old Reaganite institutions headed by aging Baby Boomers and Silents will quickly crumble. Although I can definitely imagine the federal government intervening more with domestic affairs in the coming decades, it will probably be more in the name of social justice than social hierarchy.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/10/16 at 9:02 am

The thread was just discussing kid fads of the 2000s to becoming a serious real world adult discussion. We have some bad habits. Haha

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/10/16 at 9:48 am

The thread was just discussing kid fads of the 2000s to becoming a serious real world adult discussion. We have some bad habits. Haha

It happens in every topic that's from the 2000s and 2010s forums. They should talk about politics in the Politics subforum.

Written By: #Infinity on 05/10/16 at 2:36 pm

It happens in every topic that's from the 2000s and 2010s forums. They should talk about politics in the Politics subforum.

Well, conversations about one topic naturally go into tangents about some other topic. That's how humans interact in real life. If an interesting point is made, then why not build upon it, especially if it means fewer threads overall?

Written By: Howard on 05/10/16 at 2:49 pm

I don't care.

Written By: Toon on 05/10/16 at 3:10 pm

Well, conversations about one topic naturally go into tangents about some other topic. That's how humans interact in real life. If an interesting point is made, then why not build upon it, especially if it means fewer threads overall?

Pretty much what I think.  In real life we all had discussions that gets goes into tangents/gets derailed. It's natural that the same thing will happen online.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/10/16 at 3:14 pm

Yeah. Maybe I shouldn't say that earlier. :(

Written By: Slim95 on 05/10/16 at 4:13 pm

I have a feeling however that some sort of major economic collapse or world war is going to happen sometime this century that is going to set back a lot of progress.  It's hard for me to really be optimistic about a society that would elect Donald Trump as its leader.  The movie Idiocracy is an excellent watch and I think it lays out a loose framework for where we are going over the next few centuries as humanity.  One difference between Idiocracy and how it will really play out is there will be a lot more violence and people will not be near as wealthy.  The year 2100, in my prediction, will be a hybrid world that is both more advanced than the early 21st century in some ways but less advanced in others.  One example is that there will be computers and an Internet far more powerful and advanced than we can even imagine today, but the automobile and the airplane will be all but history.  People will travel long distances by train or boat and short distances by walking or horseback. This is something we are going to need to prepare for as a society as we go beyond peak oil.  America will either remain a nation-state but will slowly evolve into a dictatorship, or will break up into multiple smaller countries or maybe even city states.  A nation as divided as this cannot stand long term.

Going back to horses would be fun.  :D But I think there is no way this will happen. Everything will just advance. We will be able to get from New York to Tokyo in 20 minutes.

Written By: 2001 on 05/10/16 at 4:16 pm

Going back to horses would be fun.  :D But I think there is no way this will happen. Everything will just advance. We will be able to get from New York to Tokyo in 20 minutes.

I swear airplane flights have only been getting longer over the years.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 05/10/16 at 5:41 pm

At least when we run out of oil, we could use alternative energy to power the cars and the planes instead, so we won't have to go back to old times.

Written By: Toon on 05/10/16 at 7:43 pm

I swear airplane flights have only been getting longer over the years.

>More advanced airplanes
>Flights somehow take longer

Err.... wait something ain't right here.

Written By: 2001 on 05/10/16 at 10:27 pm

>More advanced airplanes
>Flights somehow take longer

Err.... wait something ain't right here.

I'm not sure if they're more advanced, maybe more fuel efficient.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/10/16 at 10:38 pm

I hope that we get to have lazers in the future. That'd be sick.

Written By: Toon on 05/10/16 at 11:11 pm

I can see special elite squads having lasers, but not the common people.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/11/16 at 2:34 am

I can see special elite squads having lasers, but not the common people.

That sucks. I want my own lazer. 8)

Written By: 2001 on 05/11/16 at 6:07 am

What is a lazer?

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/11/16 at 9:52 am

What is a lazer?

The laser of the future. I meant to the say Xlazer because X = cool. 8)

Written By: 2001 on 05/11/16 at 12:44 pm

The laser of the future. I meant to the say Xlazer because X = cool. 8)

I still don't get it  :( you can get lasers from the dollar store.

Written By: Howard on 05/11/16 at 3:43 pm

what would you use them for?

Written By: Howard on 05/11/16 at 3:43 pm

then we can play lazer tag.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/12/16 at 5:57 pm

I still don't get it  :( you can get lasers from the dollar store.

No you can't.

what would you use them for?

Shootin', cuttin' and attractin' ladies. 8)

then we can play lazer tag.

Yeaaahhhhh. 8)

Written By: Toon on 05/12/16 at 11:34 pm

Shootin', cuttin' and attractin' ladies. 8)

You attract ladies so you can cut and shoot them?!
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/018/489/nick-young-confused-face-300x256_nqlyaa.png

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/13/16 at 12:28 am

You attract ladies so you can cut and shoot them?!
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/018/489/nick-young-confused-face-300x256_nqlyaa.png

No, I cut and shoot objects and then I flash my sick Xlazer to attract women. 8)

Written By: Toon on 05/13/16 at 12:31 am

No, I cut and shoot objects and then I flash my sick Xlazer to attract women. 8)

Get your Xtreme "X" out of this serious discussion about cutting and shooting things!  >:(

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/13/16 at 12:33 am

Get your Xtreme "X" out of this serious discussion about cutting and shooting things!  >:(

This is the kind of attitude we need to leave behind when the future comes. If you're not accepting of the super cool Xtreme "X" then you'll be left in the dust while open-minded, hip guys like me are going to be on top of things. 8)

Written By: Toon on 05/13/16 at 12:38 am

This is the kind of attitude we need to leave behind when the future comes. If you're not accepting of the super cool Xtreme "X" then you'll be left in the dust while open-minded, hip guys like me are going to be on top of things. 8)

https://i.imgflip.com/142gnt.jpg

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/13/16 at 12:40 am

https://i.imgflip.com/142gnt.jpg

This photo is super outdated. What year is it? 2001? 8)

Written By: Toon on 05/13/16 at 12:42 am

This photo is super outdated. What year is it? 2001? 8)

>:( Bruh >:(

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/13/16 at 12:45 am

>:( Bruh >:(

It's ok. I also wish to go back to 2001 but some wishes just don't come true.

Written By: Toon on 05/13/16 at 12:47 am

It's ok. I also wish to go back to 2001 but some wishes just don't come true.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/28/TeamTimeCar.com-BTTF_DeLorean_Time_Machine-OtoGodfrey.com-JMortonPhoto.com-07.jpg
Hop in!  8)

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/13/16 at 12:49 am

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/28/TeamTimeCar.com-BTTF_DeLorean_Time_Machine-OtoGodfrey.com-JMortonPhoto.com-07.jpg
Hop in!  8)

Yes! Time to do sum travellin'. 8)

Written By: Howard on 05/13/16 at 7:35 am

That's a fun way to use it.

Written By: 2001 on 05/13/16 at 5:57 pm

I went to the zoo with my laser when I was a kid, the animals went nuts. My favourite reaction was the peacock's. It just spread its wings and froze in place LOL I was an awful person.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/13/16 at 5:59 pm

I went to the zoo with my laser when I was a kid, the animals went nuts. My favourite reaction was the peacock's. It just spread its wings and froze in place LOL I was an awful person.

That seems cool. I wish I had a laser to do that on my local zoo's animals.

Written By: 2001 on 05/13/16 at 6:09 pm

That seems cool. I wish I had a laser to do that on my local zoo's animals.

I wouldn't advise it. It's cruel.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/16/16 at 8:22 pm

Well it looks this topic was discussed 5 years ago.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=43142.0#top

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/16/16 at 9:26 pm

Well it looks this topic was discussed 5 years ago.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=43142.0#top

Even though it makes no sense to respond to the original, I'm probably going to anyway. I like the intended calm vibe it give off.

Written By: naf140230 on 06/02/18 at 3:21 pm

Well, if we're focusing strictly on kid fads, then definitely these:

http://oceanofgames.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Avatar-The-Last-Airbender-Free-Download.jpg

http://static.idolator.com/uploads/2016/03/miley-hannah-montana-tribute-compressed.jpg

http://ib1.huluim.com/show_key_art/1304?size=1600x600&region=US

https://i1.ytimg.com/sh/py2PmcjHg6c/showposter.jpg?v=503bb91d

http://www.billboard.com/files/styles/article_main_image/public/media/jonas-brothers-2008-billboard.jpg

http://imgmr.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/wii_console.jpg

http://o.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/adam/20eef9ee2eb33eedbe24cf169fd1365/630x.jpg

I'll say. Personally, I think Naruto was on the level of Pokemon.

Written By: ofkx on 06/02/18 at 5:40 pm

The Nintendo DS was pretty big in the mid-late 2000s, at least for me.
Also, there was this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=astISOttCQ0
I remember watching it with my sister in 1st or 2nd grade, and there's a scene that starts around the 1 minute mark where he shakes his butt and at the time it was the most inappropriate thing I've ever seen and I felt really guilty for watching it ;D (#growingupreligious)

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/05/18 at 5:01 pm

I'll say pokemon Diamond and Pearl
Bakugan
Wii
Naruto
Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire
Funbrain
CN city era
CN noods era
Icarly

Check for new replies or respond here...