inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: so now thats its been a few years do you think the late 00s is dated?

Written By: sonic2005 on 05/11/16 at 5:20 pm

in the beginning of this decade the late 00s still felt recent but now that this decade is getting closer to its end do the late 00s feel dated or is dated to yall yet?

Subject: Re: so now thats its been a few years do you think the late 00s is dated?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/11/16 at 5:42 pm

I've already found the late '00s to be dated since 2015.

Subject: Re: so now thats its been a few years do you think the late 00s is dated?

Written By: Zelek2 on 05/11/16 at 5:53 pm

Yes. When they show speeches of Obama from 2008 on TV, the picture quality looks quite dated.

Even the early 2010s have aspects that set them apart from today. For example: social media was already popular then, but now it's on a whole new level of ubiquity.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/11/16 at 5:59 pm

Yes. When they show speeches of Obama from 2008 on TV, the picture quality looks quite dated.

Even the early 2010s have aspects that set them apart from today. For example: social media was already popular then, but now it's on a whole new level of ubiquity.

The early 2010s were equally popular as the mid 2010s, social media wise. You had people texting with smartphones, using Facebook and Twitter, along with having the same modern pop culture as the mid 2010s. The late 2000s were kinda like that, but it wasn't as big as the early-mid 2010s.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/11/16 at 6:48 pm

Yes, they now are considering it's been 7-9 years. When I look at things from that time-frame, it's totally different from today.

The early 2010s were equally popular as the mid 2010s, social media wise. You had people texting with smartphones, using Facebook and Twitter, along with having the same modern pop culture as the mid 2010s. The late 2000s were kinda like that, but it wasn't as big as the early-mid 2010s.
I agree with Zelek. The factors that set the early 10s away from today is:

Fashion: Colorful, bright and skinny

Technology: Simple cellphones/non-touchscreen, Ipods/CDs, DVDs and mainly PCs

Gaming: Wii, 2nd PS3, 2nd Xbox 360, NDS and PSPs

Music: Electropop, Dubstep, and other EDM

Atmosphere: No SJWs , upbeat and less threats/violence

Written By: bchris02 on 05/11/16 at 6:48 pm

This.  There isn't a ton of difference between the early 2010s and the mid 2010s social media wise.  The late '00s were different, with it primarily being centered around MySpace and Facebook accessed through a laptop or desktop computer.  By 2011, most people were getting smartphones and Twitter had really taken off.

As for the late '00s, I don't think they feel dated.  The music was different, but other than that it doesn't seem that dated but there are subtle differences.  When I look at pictures from that era however, I really miss it.  If there was one era that had a "dreamy" vibe it was 2008-2010.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/11/16 at 7:00 pm

I agree with Zelek. The factors that set the early 10s away from today is:

Fashion: Colorful, bright and skinny

Technology: Simple cellphones/non-touchscreen, Ipods/CDs, DVDs and mainly PCs

Gaming: Wii, 2nd PS3, 2nd Xbox 360, NDS and PSPs

Music: Electropop, Dubstep, and other EDM

Atmosphere: No SJWs , upbeat and less threats/violence

But wasn't the iPhone popular during the early 2010s? Especially when a lot of teenagers used them? I could get that the early 2010s were 7th generation, but that's what makes them different compared to the mid 2010s. The TV and music is kinda relevant today from the early 2010s. Especially Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Better Call Saul (a prequel to Breaking Bad), etc.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/11/16 at 7:18 pm

But wasn't the iPhone popular during the early 2010s? Especially when a lot of teenagers used them? I could get that the early 2010s were 7th generation, but that's what makes them different compared to the mid 2010s. The TV and music is kinda relevant today from the early 2010s. Especially Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Better Call Saul (a prequel to Breaking Bad), etc.
Not entirely. I don't recall many people having one until at least 2012/13.  As for music, not really because there are certain sub-genres that were popular at that time that are irrelevant today. 

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/11/16 at 7:38 pm

Not entirely. I don't recall many people having one until at least 2012/13.  As for music, not really because there are certain sub-genres that were popular at that time that are irrelevant today.

But I still find the era to be recent. Not recent recent, but like I can't be nostalgic for it. I could recall some people using modern technology during the early 2010s, so I wouldn't say its different from the mid 2010s.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/11/16 at 7:47 pm

But I still find the era to be recent. Not recent recent, but like I can't be nostalgic for it. I could recall some people using modern technology during the early 2010s, so I wouldn't say its different from the mid 2010s.
I'm not saying they are extremely different from each other, but there are small distinctions from both eras and it's getting less recent especially considering that 2010 is almost close to 10 years. In about 2/3 years from now, the early 10s will be 5/6-8/9 years ago.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/11/16 at 7:56 pm

I'm not saying they are extremely different from each other, but there are small distinctions from both eras and it's getting less recent especially considering that 2010 is almost close to 10 years. In about 2/3 years from now, the early 10s will be 5/6-8/9 years ago.

Yeah. By that time, it would be as old as the late 2000s in 2018/9. Maybe I'll be nostalgic for 2010 and 2011, since those were the only years that I actually enjoyed from this decade. But just because the era is barely relevant, that doesn't mean I still find it recent.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/11/16 at 8:10 pm

Yeah. By that time, it would be as old as the late 2000s in 2018/9. Maybe I'll be nostalgic for 2010 and 2011, since those were the only years that I actually enjoyed from this decade. But just because the era is barely relevant, that doesn't mean I still find it recent.
I understand. Some people still see the early 10s as recent, but sooner or later, it definitely will be dated.

Written By: 2001 on 05/11/16 at 8:28 pm

You couldn't give me a fixed income to go back to the late 2000s technologically, so in that aspect, yes. It's not really OMG SO ANCIENT though.

Written By: Toon on 05/11/16 at 8:37 pm

You couldn't give me a fixed income to go back to the late 2000s technologically, so in that aspect, yes. It's not really OMG SO ANCIENT though.

Well while it isn't OMG SO ANCIENT the late '00s does seem pretty dated compared to today. 2009 is the only year that can be still be seen as recent, but even then 2009 feels pretty different from 2016. And 2007-2008 are just dated overall to me. Different trends and culture overall. OMG SO ANCIENT doesn't normally happen until a year has ended for 20+ years.

Written By: 2001 on 05/12/16 at 1:24 pm

This.  There isn't a ton of difference between the early 2010s and the mid 2010s social media wise.  The late '00s were different, with it primarily being centered around MySpace and Facebook accessed through a laptop or desktop computer.  By 2011, most people were getting smartphones and Twitter had really taken off.

As for the late '00s, I don't think they feel dated.  The music was different, but other than that it doesn't seem that dated but there are subtle differences.  When I look at pictures from that era however, I really miss it.  If there was one era that had a "dreamy" vibe it was 2008-2010.

Twitter took off 2008-09 school year along with Facebook. Although it did experience another burst of popularity in 2012 when they moved from being text-only to adding imbedded images and videos.

Written By: Toon on 05/12/16 at 1:55 pm

Curious on what people mean when an era has a "dreamy" vibe.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/12/16 at 2:00 pm

in the beginning of this decade the late 00s still felt recent but now that this decade is getting closer to its end do the late 00s feel dated or is dated to yall yet?

Yeah definitely. Especially from a technology perspective. A day in a life in 2008 for me was going to my old slow Desktop computer with Windows XP and playing old web games and watching funny, creative videos on old YouTube. Creating a Facebook for the first time and enjoying the platform, logging into MySpace and even using MSN still. Having no cell phone, calling friends on the landline and using an mp3 player to listen to music. This was all true 2008 and 2009 but 2007 is even more distant and primitive in technology. These days, I play games, listen to music, watch music videos, go on social media and web browse all on my smartphone. I have Windows 10 on my tablet. I rarely log into Facebook and YouTube has become less entertaining (but I still enjoy it). Of course the old social media sites from back in the day are dead today. Almost all social media sites are now mobile apps too. I use Periscope often and I didn't think something like that would be possible in the late 00's. I also use VR today which I also thought was Sci-Fi in the late 00's. We've come a long way.

Written By: 2001 on 05/12/16 at 2:02 pm

I don't know either. So many different people have used the term too, I think I'm just daft.  :(

Written By: Slim95 on 05/12/16 at 2:04 pm

I understand. Some people still see the early 10s as recent, but sooner or later, it definitely will be dated.

The only year of the early 10s that is dated to me is 2010. 2011 is getting there but not quite yet, perhaps the first half only but 2010 is the last year that truly feels dated for me. I get some nostalgia if I hear a song from the early 10's but it's still too recent. There's no doubt that will change soon though.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/12/16 at 2:47 pm

Twitter took off 2008-09 school year along with Facebook. Although it did experience another burst of popularity in 2012 when they moved from being text-only to adding imbedded images and videos.

Exactly.  Twitter took off during the 2008-09 school year though it was 2010 before I started hearing about it all the time.  My point was that social media hasn't really changed a lot since the early 2010s.  By 2011 and 2012, the social media revolution was complete.  People were glued to their smartphones and their entire social life was on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, just like today.  People who say that the mid 2010s is more social media oriented than the early 2010s are incorrect.  The two big things that set the mid 2010s apart from the early 2010s are the decline of electropop and the rise of SJW and anti-SJW culture.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/12/16 at 2:49 pm

I think pre summer 2008 late 2000s(late 06-mid 08) is dated... But the VERY late 2000s, it still feels recent to me. Next year the entire late 00s is gonna feel dated tho! ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/12/16 at 3:03 pm

I think they meant it was beautiful. I don't know why is it "dreamy" to them, since it doesn't make that sense.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/12/16 at 3:58 pm

Exactly.  Twitter took off during the 2008-09 school year though it was 2010 before I started hearing about it all the time.  My point was that social media hasn't really changed a lot since the early 2010s.  By 2011 and 2012, the social media revolution was complete.  People were glued to their smartphones and their entire social life was on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, just like today.  People who say that the mid 2010s is more social media oriented than the early 2010s are incorrect.  The two big things that set the mid 2010s apart from the early 2010s are the decline of electropop and the rise of SJW and anti-SJW culture.

I disagree. I think technology and social media has changed a lot. In the early 10's the focus was more on social media being on laptops, these days it's more focused on phones and tablets. Also, the smartphone has come a long way and is much more advanced than in the early 2010s. The Galaxy S3 is super old looking compared to the S7 Edge and the IPhone 6 is much more advanced than the 4S as well. Phones are much bigger now too. We have smartwatches now, VR, AR in the works like Holo Lens, virtual assistants like Amazon Echo, and other cool tech advancements. The hoverboard thing is popular now even though it's not an actual hoverboard. self-driving cars are already being tested in many places. Electropop has not completely died off and I don't see that at all as being the definite difference between the two eras. SJW is just a trend that had some roots in the early 10's as well, again not all that different. Most artists that are popular today were popular then except for Lady Gaga. Technology is the main difference in my opinion.

I don't think there is a big difference between the early 10s and mid 10s culturally. The two eras are very similar to each other and both play a big part in shaping the 2010s as a whole.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/12/16 at 4:06 pm

1999 - 2001: millions of years ago; ancient

2002 - 2004: long time ago; very dated

2005 - 2007: a while ago; a little dated

2008 - present: feels like yesterday; recent

That's my world based off how I've lived my whole life. It's not going to change for me, since I have a strong memory.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/12/16 at 4:44 pm

1999 - 2001: millions of years ago; ancient

2002 - 2004: long time ago; very dated

2005 - 2007: a while ago; a little dated

2008 - present: feels like yesterday; recent

That's my world based off how I've lived my whole life. It's not going to change for me, since I have a strong memory.

I'll go with this. The only thing that blows me away from 2009 is my missed opportunities. While 08 and back feels dated to me in general.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/12/16 at 5:16 pm

I disagree. I think technology and social media has changed a lot. In the early 10's the focus was more on social media being on laptops, these days it's more focused on phones and tablets. Also, the smartphone has come a long way and is much more advanced than in the early 2010s. The Galaxy S3 is super old looking compared to the S7 Edge and the IPhone 6 is much more advanced than the 4S as well. Phones are much bigger now too. We have smartwatches now, VR, AR in the works like Holo Lens, virtual assistants like Amazon Echo, and other cool tech advancements. The hoverboard thing is popular now even though it's not an actual hoverboard. self-driving cars are already being tested in many places. Electropop has not completely died off and I don't see that at all as being the definite difference between the two eras. SJW is just a trend that had some roots in the early 10's as well, again not all that different. Most artists that are popular today were popular then except for Lady Gaga. Technology is the main difference in my opinion.

I don't think there is a big difference between the early 10s and mid 10s culturally. The two eras are very similar to each other and both play a big part in shaping the 2010s as a whole.

Smartphones have evolved and improved significantly, but the things people were doing on their smartphones were pretty much the same in 2011 as they are today.  There is not much I currently use my iPhone 6 for that I couldn't do on my 4.  The biggest difference is its much faster and has a lot more storage space and the camera is a lot better, but nothing really life changing has happened for me on the smartphone front since I got my first iPhone in 2008.

I am not completely sold on smartwatches.  I really think the next frontier will be VR headsets as they are starting to become more popular now.  I agree that SJW culture had its roots in the early '10s with the Occupy movement, but it didn't seem to divide people back then near to the extent it does today.  Today, there is so much anger and hatred among people.

Written By: sonic2005 on 05/12/16 at 5:30 pm

Smartphones have evolved and improved significantly, but the things people were doing on their smartphones were pretty much the same in 2011 as they are today.  There is not much I currently use my iPhone 6 for that I couldn't do on my 4.  The biggest difference is its much faster and has a lot more storage space and the camera is a lot better, but nothing really life changing has happened for me on the smartphone front since I got my first iPhone in 2008.

I am not completely sold on smartwatches.  I really think the next frontier will be VR headsets as they are starting to become more popular now.  I agree that SJW culture had its roots in the early '10s with the Occupy movement, but it didn't seem to divide people back then near to the extent it does today.  Today, there is so much anger and hatred among people.

yeah it seems since 2014 this decade just got darker all of a sudden

Written By: sonic2005 on 05/12/16 at 5:32 pm

I think they mean like an upbeat fun party vibe when you look at the early 10s it had more of a lets have fun and party all the time feel (most likely a response to the recession we were in)

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/12/16 at 5:37 pm

Everything after 2003 feels recent to me.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/12/16 at 6:53 pm

I think they mean like an upbeat fun party vibe when you look at the early 10s it had more of a lets have fun and party all the time feel (most likely a response to the recession we were in)

Yeah this!  People weren't near as serious or uptight.  I could go out and have fun without worrying about what everybody was thinking.  The music was great, I had good friends, and was still young so I didn't have to worry about over-imbibing.  I was in a big city where I could openly be myself.  It was especially the case in 2009 and 2010.  I miss those days.

Written By: 2001 on 05/12/16 at 7:04 pm

I can see why the early 10s can be described as dreamy, but the late 2000s were very gloomy.  :o That recession was depressing.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/12/16 at 8:33 pm

I can see why the early 10s can be described as dreamy, but the late 2000s were very gloomy.  :o That recession was depressing.

The recession didn't stop the vibe from being upbeat though. All the songs were about dancing and partying at the time and the fashion was super colourful. Then all the corniness from Jonas Brothers and Justin Beiber. It was an upbeat period, much more than today too.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/12/16 at 8:34 pm

Yeah this!  People weren't near as serious or uptight.  I could go out and have fun without worrying about what everybody was thinking.  The music was great, I had good friends, and was still young so I didn't have to worry about over-imbibing.  I was in a big city where I could openly be myself.  It was especially the case in 2009 and 2010.  I miss those days.

I hope the late 10s are like this, but less superficial. There was something eerie about the upbeat vibe of the late 00s/early 10s. It felt fake and forced. I remember during the time nobody liked the current state of pop culture and music. I want that to change and have an upbeat culture everyone will enjoy.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/12/16 at 9:56 pm

For me, the "dreamy" vibe started in mid/late 2009.  I agree that 2008 was very gloomy.  In my personal life 2008 was an awesome year, one of the best of my life.  However, there was that elephant in the room of the economy and the recession.  That all subsided in 2009.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/12/16 at 10:43 pm

Yeah, personally IMO 2008 wasn't as good of a 2000's year as some people make it out to be. My favorite year of the late 2000's will always be 2007. Still in elementary school for half of the year, went on like 4 vacations throughout the year including Washington DC, addicted to the Nintendo DS, went to Dave & Busters a couple of times, last year of the core 2000's, etc. 2008 may have been the quintessential year of the late 2000's to people or a great year pop culturally for the mainstream, especially that exciting election, but my personal life in middle school and going through a lot of changes in the family was tough for me. Playing on the Wii for Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and Mario Kart Wii was fun. The movies in 2008 (as well as the other late 2000's years) were great too, but overall 2008 still wasn't that great though. Summer 2008 was so boring. No vacations, our entire house got renovated which took a lot of work and looked completely different by the end of the summer, and my youngest sister was born. Late 2008 felt like a completely different world to me than early 2008. It was really the final nail in the coffin of my childhood. Even most of 2009 wasn't that good for me either, except for that epic summer. So I'd still take 2009 over 2008 too, barely. I agree that late 2009 was when the dreamy vibe began, and I was so ready to get out of middle school by then. The early 2010's and high school were so much better for me overall, and while I don't miss being in high school, I do miss a lot of my friends & acquaintances from high school, my cross country team, youth ministry at my church, etc. I've hardly seen any of them since graduation. I miss some of the pop culture from the early 2010's too, but some pop culture from the mid 2010's I'm enjoying right now as well. I also miss it when none of this SJW/LGBT culture (no offense to anyone on here, just my opinion) and over saturation/sensitivity of social media wasn't around or wasn't big yet.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/12/16 at 11:14 pm

Yeah, personally IMO 2008 wasn't as good of a 2000's year as some people make it out to be. My favorite year of the late 2000's will always be 2007. Still in elementary school for half of the year, went on like 4 vacations throughout the year including Washington DC, addicted to the Nintendo DS, went to Dave & Busters a couple of times, last year of the core 2000's, etc. 2008 may have been the quintessential year of the late 2000's to people or a great year pop culturally for the mainstream, especially that exciting election, but my personal life in middle school and going through a lot of changes in the family was tough for me. Playing on the Wii for Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and Mario Kart Wii was fun. The movies in 2008 (as well as the other late 2000's years) were great too, but overall 2008 still wasn't that great though. Summer 2008 was so boring. No vacations, our entire house got renovated which took a lot of work and looked completely different by the end of the summer, and my youngest sister was born. Late 2008 felt like a completely different world to me than early 2008. It was really the final nail in the coffin of my childhood. Even most of 2009 wasn't that good for me either, except for that epic summer. So I'd still take 2009 over 2008 too, barely. I agree that late 2009 was when the dreamy vibe began, and I was so ready to get out of middle school by then. The early 2010's and high school were so much better for me overall, and while I don't miss being in high school, I do miss a lot of my friends & acquaintances from high school, my cross country team, youth ministry at my church, etc. I've hardly seen any of them since graduation. I miss some of the pop culture from the early 2010's too, but some pop culture from the mid 2010's I'm enjoying right now as well. I also miss it when none of this SJW/LGBT culture (no offense to anyone on here, just my opinion) and over saturation/sensitivity of social media wasn't around or wasn't big yet.

2007 was my favourite year of the 2000s and maybe even my life. So much nice memories from my personal life that year.

Written By: Toon on 05/12/16 at 11:25 pm

Ah, I got it. Early '10s was pretty upbeat. Does anyone have any clue on why the mid '10s seem to be a bit more darker? Also something is probably just wrong with my memory, but when I think of the early '10s I instantly imagine neon colors. I assume it's probably due to the fashion of the early '10s and how a lot of people wore bright clothing. Wonder if people still wear them today.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/12/16 at 11:33 pm

Ah, I got it. Early '10s was pretty upbeat. Does anyone have any clue on why the mid '10s seem to be a bit more darker? Also something is probably just wrong with my memory, but when I think of the early '10s I instantly imagine neon colors. I assume it's probably due to the fashion of the early '10s and how a lot of people wore bright clothing. Wonder if people still wear them today.

Here in Canada where I live it's because we're in a worse recession than the one in 2008. In the U.S. I don't know, they should be happy their dollar is doing great and their economy has picked up. But it could be because of world events and the violence going on everywhere.

Written By: Toon on 05/12/16 at 11:38 pm

Here in Canada where I live it's because we're in a worse recession than the one in 2008. In the U.S. I don't know, they should be happy their dollar is doing great and their economy has picked up. But it could be because of world events and the violence going on everywhere.

Despite being an American I've been doing a poor job of keeping up with mid 10's pop culture and events. Hope this violence stops soon. I'm all up for having a late '10s that is upbeat.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/12/16 at 11:44 pm

Despite being an American I've been doing a poor job of keeping up with mid 10's pop culture and events. Hope this violence stops soon. I'm all up for having a late '10s that is upbeat.

They say the economy is supposed to improve in 2017 so I do think it will be more upbeat. I'm getting kinda excited for the late 10's, it will be my last time in school before I expect to graduate university in 2019. I hope things go well during that time.

Written By: 2001 on 05/12/16 at 11:50 pm

2007 is the only full year of the non-early 2000s that didn't have a completely disastrous event in store for me, so I also have a soft spot for that year.

2007 is the year of NEW to me. First year of high school, first time making real friends since elementary (everyone in MS was more of an "acquaintance"), the 7th Gen consoles, YouTube, Gmail, Blackberries, iPhones, the last time I saw "56k Warning" on image heavy websites. What other new stuff happened that year? :o

Written By: sonic2005 on 05/12/16 at 11:58 pm

I hope the late 10s are like this, but less superficial. There was something eerie about the upbeat vibe of the late 00s/early 10s. It felt fake and forced. I remember during the time nobody liked the current state of pop culture and music. I want that to change and have an upbeat culture everyone will enjoy.

pretty much it was just a way for people to escape the reality of the recession

Written By: Toon on 05/13/16 at 12:10 am

pretty much it was just a way for people to escape the reality of the recession

I found the early '10s dreamy vibe to be a bit genuine due to the fact that people were mainly happy since the recession ended.

They say the economy is supposed to improve in 2017 so I do think it will be more upbeat. I'm getting kinda excited for the late 10's, it will be my last time in school before I expect to graduate university in 2019. I hope things go well during that time.

I hope so. I love eras with an upbeat feel to them. I've been interested in the culture of the late '10s onward. Good economy normally leads to upbeat culture based on past eras.

Written By: 2001 on 05/13/16 at 12:17 am

I don't get how someone can say the late 2000s were upbeat despite the news, because there was upbeat music on the radio, and then say the mid-10s aren't upbeat because of the news... Despite there still being mostly upbeat music on the radio.  :o Some consistency please.

Written By: Toon on 05/13/16 at 12:24 am

I don't get how someone can say the late 2000s were upbeat despite the news, because there was upbeat music on the radio, and then say the mid-10s aren't upbeat because of the news... Despite there still being mostly upbeat music on the radio.  :o Some consistency please.

I never notice an upbeat vibe in the late '00s unless it was on the internet. To me both the late '00s and the mid '10s have dark vibes.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/13/16 at 1:42 am

Are you referring to me? If so, there's a big difference between violence and a recession. Both are depressing but having so many shootings occur bring people down a lot more. Also, the music is no where near upbeat as the late 00's. Lady Gaga's music is pretty much the definition of upbeat. Then you also had other fast dance songs. Now we have Adele's Hello and other slow ballads that are popular. That's where the difference is.

Written By: 2001 on 05/13/16 at 7:38 am

Are you referring to me? If so, there's a big difference between violence and a recession. Both are depressing but having so many shootings occur bring people down a lot more. Also, the music is no where near upbeat as the late 00's. Lady Gaga's music is pretty much the definition of upbeat. Then you also had other fast dance songs. Now we have Adele's Hello and other slow ballads that are popular. That's where the difference is.

Sorry, I quoted the wrong person. I don't see isolated events as sad as the recession that actually affected me and people I know. As it is on a factual basis, 2014 is the safest year on record since 1966 in Canada. It's also one of the safest years in the US as well since the late 60s/70s. If you read too much news, you're going to be depressed no matter what era. And it wasn't just the recession in the late 2000s, there were wars and disease (bird flu, H1N1, Mad Cow Disease). But recession and 13% unemployment is the main reason it's sad.

And the songs you mention are late 2015. In late 2014/early 2015 we had a song literally called Happy by Pharrel Williams, then we also had songs like Shake It Off and Uptown Funk. Even now songs like One Dance, Formation and 7 Years on top of the charts. I wouldnt call the latter upbeat, but the other two are fun enough.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/13/16 at 11:49 am

Sorry, I quoted the wrong person. I don't see isolated events as sad as the recession that actually affected me and people I know. As it is on a factual basis, 2014 is the safest year on record since 1966 in Canada. It's also one of the safest years in the US as well since the late 60s/70s. If you read too much news, you're going to be depressed no matter what era. And it wasn't just the recession in the late 2000s, there were wars and disease (bird flu, H1N1, Mad Cow Disease). But recession and 13% unemployment is the main reason it's sad.

And the songs you mention are late 2015. In late 2014/early 2015 we had a song literally called Happy by Pharrel Williams, then we also had songs like Shake It Off and Uptown Funk. Even now songs like One Dance, Formation and 7 Years on top of the charts. I wouldnt call the latter upbeat, but the other two are fun enough.

I still think the mid 10s are dark and depressing, even more than the late 00s.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/13/16 at 12:47 pm

Yeah. One of the only depressing things about the late '00s were the 2008 recession. But it wasn't closely as bad as the Great Depression. Ever since 2014, we had all of these godawful riots and brutality incidents happening. The 2016 presidential election just made it even worse with everybody being a joke. At least in the 2008 election, you had some of the most important people like Obama or McCain. In this year's election, everybody was just pitiful as hell. It's like these candidates read most of the political YouTube comments, and believed they were worth noticing. That's sad because Trump has the same mentality as those people.

Written By: 2001 on 05/13/16 at 5:53 pm

To each his/her own.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/14/16 at 8:05 am

I agree with you. My personal life was a lot better in the late 00s as I wasn't really impacted by the recession, and I was living in Japan at the time so it really helped. The mid-10s (from late 2013 until now) have been depressing all around: my personal life, the news, the political situation, pop culture lacking good and original movies, music, TV shows, video games; EVERYTHING. To say that 2016 is the best year of this period isn't saying much, because it is still crappy compared to the other good years of my life.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/14/16 at 6:14 pm

Everything after 2003 feels recent to me.

That's cause you outta touch bro! ;D ;D ;D ;)

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/14/16 at 6:19 pm

You had much different experience as a Canadian than as american like me...

Also, Happy was late 2013 and early 2014 song..... ;D Before the dark and gloomy mid 10s went full swing!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/14/16 at 6:20 pm

This all the way!!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/14/16 at 6:22 pm

Overall yeah guys, the late 2000s were the saddest part of the 00s for me and a lot of people BY FAR!
While the early 10s may have been somewhat upbeat, it felt escapist like and not LEGIT.
and the mid 10s is the darkest and most negative period in a VERY long time, especially for people like me.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/14/16 at 7:12 pm

Overall yeah guys, the late 2000s were the saddest part of the 00s for me and a lot of people BY FAR!
While the early 10s may have been somewhat upbeat, it felt escapist like and not LEGIT.
and the mid 10s is the darkest and most negative period in a VERY long time, especially for people like me.

Yeah... the late 2000s weren't that happy to most people, but that's because of the 2008 recession. I know I've been saying this since I joined this website, but I don't know how a lot of people find the mid 2010s to be very upbeat. It just has tons of overrated music, terrible politicians (Donald Trump, for example), and very cringy communities on the Internet. I can't go enough with seeing SJWs being mentioned or whatever the f*ck YouTube is doing nowadays.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 05/14/16 at 7:30 pm

I hate when people put their big bottle caps on their ear lobes and having tattoos. I think both of these would age horribly when these people get older. I'm not one of those people and I never plan to modify my body like them. I want my body to stay clean forever.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/14/16 at 8:34 pm

Yeah... the late 2000s weren't that happy to most people, but that's because of the 2008 recession. I know I've been saying this since I joined this website, but I don't know how a lot of people find the mid 2010s to be very upbeat. It just has tons of overrated music, terrible politicians (Donald Trump, for example), and very cringy communities on the Internet. I can't go enough with seeing SJWs being mentioned or whatever the f*ck YouTube is doing nowadays.

The late 00's may have not been happy and nice to people but I have a lot of nostalgia from that period from my personal life. The culture and music I couldn't care about, but my personal memories from the time were amazing.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/14/16 at 8:42 pm

The late 00's may have not been happy and nice to people but I have a lot of nostalgia from that period from my personal life. The culture and music I couldn't care about, but my personal memories from the time were amazing.

My personal memories were good as f*ck in the late 2000s. I wish I could go back there, if they made a time machine.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/15/16 at 12:45 am

Despite the stats saying that the world is much safer, I agree with you guys who say right now is gloomy. Almost everyday, there's a threat in school where people are feared for their safety. All these shootings from cops and mentally ill people and these terrorist attacks are depressing. The SJW thing is over saturated where if someone is an activist, he or she is pretty much lumped in with them. The PC is so bad that if people are making offensive comments, everyone loses their minds and the ones who made the derogatory statements are forced to apologize. While technology is improving overtime, it's destroying our communication with each other and turning us into zombies. Last, this election is so crazy that whoever is elected is going to determine the future of America and the world.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/15/16 at 1:52 am

Despite the stats saying that the world is much safer, I agree with you guys who say right now is gloomy. Almost everyday, there's a threat in school where people are feared for their safety. All these shootings from cops and mentally ill people and these terrorist attacks are depressing. The SJW thing is over saturated where if someone is an activist, he or she is pretty much lumped in with them. The PC is so bad that if people are making offensive comments, everyone loses their minds and the ones who made the derogatory statements are forced to apologize. While technology is improving overtime, it's destroying our communication with each other and turning us into zombies. Last, this election is so crazy that whoever is elected is going to determine the future of America and the world.

I agree. I've noticed that people are losing their sense of communication (and some younger kids have unfortunately never had in the first place) with one another to a point that's pathetic. A lot of people care more about their social media accounts and their "special little" electronic devices than making meaningful, deep connections and friendships. It's more about being superficial and looking good while you broadcast yourself and your photos for everyone to see on Facebook than just simply living your life to the fullest and being happy. There are so many studies out there that say because off all this technology and social media that things like social anxiety and depression have gone way up and I see why.

Written By: 2001 on 05/15/16 at 6:48 am

I've been hearing about socializing 's death since the 90s. And no, I'm not convinced that this time it's for really reals.

Written By: Fearsword on 05/16/16 at 5:09 pm

Yeah, now that it's 2016 it seems dated in my personal life and culturally. Many artisits today weren't relevant then and smartphones and tablets hadn't fully caught on. Personally, I didn't even have a cellphone, Apple iPod or tablet in 2009!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/16/16 at 5:12 pm

Yeah, now that it's 2016 it seems dated in my personal life and culturally. Many artisits today weren't relevant then and smartphones and tablets hadn't fully caught on. Personally, I didn't even have a cellphone, Apple iPod or tablet in 2009!

I didn't even have a tablet until 2011, but I barely used it. I was more into my desktop computer, which performed better than my tablets IMO.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/16/16 at 5:21 pm

I first got a smartphone in late 2012 and my first cell phone which was a slider phone in 2011.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/16/16 at 8:21 pm

I first got a smartphone in late 2012 and my first cell phone which was a slider phone in 2011.

I got my first smartphone in late 2014. It was an iPhone. My first cell phone was a slider phone that looked like it was made in the mid 2000s. I got in mid 2014.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/16/16 at 8:44 pm

I agree. I've noticed that people are losing their sense of communication (and some younger kids have unfortunately never had in the first place) with one another to a point that's pathetic. A lot of people care more about their social media accounts and their "special little" electronic devices than making meaningful, deep connections and friendships. It's more about being superficial and looking good while you broadcast yourself and your photos for everyone to see on Facebook than just simply living your life to the fullest and being happy. There are so many studies out there that say because off all this technology and social media that things like social anxiety and depression have gone way up and I see why.
Have you seen this video? Some statements you made were also in this as well although it's more of a generalization and a call to action towards this generation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wLmtuhuyhA

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/16/16 at 9:10 pm

Have you seen this video? Some statements you made were also in this as well although it's more of a generalization and a call to action towards this generation.

I don't agree with a lot of the sh!t she says. The whole video is her being a little self-hating baby who's sucking up to her "elders" for brownie points. There are a lot of people over 40 who have adapted the "21st century lifestyle" and post a billion pictures a day about their kids, food, dogs, etc. It's affecting everyone. She needs to get over cursing, too. People curse, big deal. My parents cursed (and still continue to) a whole lot when I was a kid growing up and they're boomers and Gen X'ers? Gen X'ers have worse manners than millennials (and I mean that in a positive sense as in, they don't take people's sh!t). And, I mean, holding the door for ladies? What year is it?? You should hold the door for the next person to grab it regardless of gender.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/16/16 at 9:21 pm

I don't agree with a lot of the sh!t she says. The whole video is her being a little self-hating baby who's sucking up to her "elders" for brownie points. There are a lot of people over 40 who have adapted the "21st century lifestyle" and post a billion pictures a day about their kids, food, dogs, etc. It's affecting everyone. She needs to get over cursing, too. People curse, big deal. My parents cursed (and still continue to) a whole lot when I was a kid growing up and they're boomers and Gen X'ers? Gen X'ers have worse manners than millennials (and I mean that in a positive sense as in, they don't take people's sh!t). And, I mean, holding the door for ladies? What year is it?? You should hold the door for the next person to grab it regardless of gender.
;D ;D ;D ;D and she also received a lot of video responses from other people and they called her out for making incorrect generalizations. The reason she made this video is because she's a conservative and a Republican as she's from Texas; she was tired of this generation's mannerisms and she wanted to work for Fox News.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/16/16 at 9:57 pm

;D ;D ;D ;D and she also received a lot of video responses from other people and they called her out for making incorrect generalizations. The reason she made this video is because she's a conservative and a Republican as she's from Texas; she was tired of this generation's mannerisms and she wanted to work for Fox News.

That explains everything! I had a feeling she was from the south because of her accent but I wasn't too sure. Wanting to work for Fox News is just the cherry on top! ;D

Written By: mqg96 on 05/16/16 at 11:05 pm

And, I mean, holding the door for ladies? What year is it?? You should hold the door for the next person to grab it regardless of gender.

I was about to say. A handicap or injured person immediately gets my attention when I'm walking close to a door, but otherwise, we should hold the door for everybody, regardless of gender like you said.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/17/16 at 3:28 am

I was about to say. A handicap or injured person immediately gets my attention when I'm walking close to a door, but otherwise, we should hold the door for everybody, regardless of gender like you said.

Yes, that's exactly what people should be doing. Hold the poor for handicapped and injured people as it's hard enough for them already. Funny how the dumbass in the video above thought holding the door for "a lady" was much more important. All that sucking up to her "elders" for brownie points has taken the brains outta her. ::)

Written By: Howard on 05/17/16 at 2:33 pm

I agree.

Written By: sonic2005 on 05/20/16 at 6:15 am

dp

Written By: Catherine91UK on 05/21/16 at 9:41 am

Yes, I do think the whole of the late 00s seem dated now, especially 2007 and early 2008.

Written By: XYkid on 05/22/16 at 4:58 am

in 2009, emo and pop-punk was still popular, albiet on their last leg of mainstream popularity.

Written By: #Infinity on 05/22/16 at 7:53 am

The late 2000s are certainly dated, even though they're still far from retro. They're as close to today as they are to the Y2K era, which is still pretty surprising to me, even though touchscreen phones were still hardly popular during the late 2000s.

However, 2010s fashion has finally fully established its identity in recent years; in the early 2010s, it was predominantly neutral or tepidly influenced by scene. Long-lasting shows from the late 2000s like Mad Men, Fringe, and How I Met Your Mother have ended, and 2014/2015 saw a dramatic shift in talk show hosts, with Jay Leno, David Letterman, and Jon Stewart all retiring from their posts, as well as Stephen Colbert switching to the Late Show, not to mention John Oliver and Sandy Bee earning shows of their own.

The most obvious difference, however, is that online videos from the late 2000s are still predominantly in standard definition, instantly giving them a retro look on par with stuff from the 80s and 90s. The crisp HD video, which has dominated the whole 2010s decade so far, makes YouTube clips and television shows from after the late 2000s feel like yesterday, even if they came out in 2010 or 2011.

Written By: aja675 on 05/22/16 at 8:25 am

They're different from the mid-'10s, but they still have some vague similarities to today.

Written By: 2001 on 05/22/16 at 10:24 am

in 2009, emo and pop-punk was still popular, albiet on their last leg of mainstream popularity.

I feel that, as with grunge, the music died out earlier (2007), but the fashion hung around until 2009.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/22/16 at 11:37 am

Real Pop Punk and Emo died (at least in terms of mainstream interest) roughly around 2003-2004 but faux-Emo was still big until sometime this decade.

I feel that, as with grunge, the music died out earlier (2007), but the fashion hung around until 2009.

Grunge fashion died like, right away. At least in my experience it did.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/22/16 at 11:59 am

They're different from the mid-'10s, but they still have some vague similarities to today.

Yeah they're dated but at the same time a lot of the things that started in the late 00s are popular today. I don't include 2007 and the first half of 2008 in this because those are hugely different and more similar to the mid  00s. Everything changed around mid 2008.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/22/16 at 12:25 pm

Yeah they're dated but at the same time a lot of the things that started in the late 00s are popular today. I don't include 2007 and the first half of 2008 in this because those are hugely different and more similar to the mid  00s. Everything changed around mid 2008.

And then sh*t started to transition from late 2008 to mid 2009. Well, to me.

Written By: 2001 on 05/22/16 at 1:34 pm

Real Pop Punk and Emo died (at least in terms of mainstream interest) roughly around 2003-2004 but faux-Emo was still big until sometime this decade.

Grunge fashion died like, right away. At least in my experience it did.

I thought grunge declined in popularity around 1995/1996, but the fashion hung around until 1997 or so?

Written By: 2001 on 05/22/16 at 1:59 pm

Late 2000s teen starter pack ;D

https://cnet3.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2007/05/24/1a65d71e-cbf2-11e2-9a4a-0291187b029a/resize/970xauto/f0f1a5ca2f9569f4f49c989fef461c74/gear4_houseparty_blu_crave.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51cOeeYHVJL._SX425_.jpg

http://media.thedailytouch.com/2013/11/MSN_Convo.png

http://www.wikinoticia.com/images2//s2.alt1040.com/files/2013/04/Windows-Messenger-2007-791x600.jpg

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/xbox-live-banned.jpg

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/halo/images/e/e5/Halo3coverart.JPG/revision/latest?cb=20131024014002

http://jamthehype.com/jth-content/uploads/2013/11/Boxer-Play.jpg

http://origin.arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.media/psp_ds_01.jpg

http://www.ew.com/sites/default/files/i/2014/02/00/heroes_cast.jpg

http://www.kewlykewlykewl.com/photos/famous-rapstars/soulja-boy-crank-that-video.jpg

http://screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/death-note-live-action-movie-director.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/PQLy4efS1q4/hqdefault.jpg

http://www.ethicstar.com/redskinnyjeans.jpg

http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/ximg_559090adf2a7b.jpg.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.YprqlohMO7.jpg

:D ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/22/16 at 3:39 pm

https://cnet3.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2007/05/24/1a65d71e-cbf2-11e2-9a4a-0291187b029a/resize/970xauto/f0f1a5ca2f9569f4f49c989fef461c74/gear4_houseparty_blu_crave.jpg

http://www.wikinoticia.com/images2//s2.alt1040.com/files/2013/04/Windows-Messenger-2007-791x600.jpg

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/halo/images/e/e5/Halo3coverart.JPG/revision/latest?cb=20131024014002

http://www.kewlykewlykewl.com/photos/famous-rapstars/soulja-boy-crank-that-video.jpg

http://screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/death-note-live-action-movie-director.jpg

http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/ximg_559090adf2a7b.jpg.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.YprqlohMO7.jpg

You make a great late 2000s teen starter pack, my friend.  8)

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/22/16 at 4:24 pm

I thought grunge declined in popularity around 1995/1996, but the fashion hung around until 1997 or so?

Grunge was declining around then but both the music and fashion died in 1997 around the same time.

My starter pack is cooler. ;)

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/22/16 at 4:26 pm

Grunge was declining around then but both the music and fashion died in 1997 around the same time.

Written By: 2001 on 05/22/16 at 4:27 pm

Yours was more of a collector's edition rather than a starter pack.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/22/16 at 4:30 pm

Yours was more of a collector's edition rather than a starter pack.

I can't believe this! I'm sorry but you need all of those essential products if you want to truly live out the early 00's.

Written By: 2001 on 05/22/16 at 4:34 pm

I can't believe this! I'm sorry but you need all of those essential products if you want to truly live out the early 00's.

Every teen in the early 2000s must've been broke.  :o

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/22/16 at 4:39 pm

Every teen in the early 2000s must've been broke.  :o

Yeah, I always spent my money on random sh!t back then so I was broke pretty often.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/22/16 at 4:51 pm

The late 2000s are certainly dated, even though they're still far from retro. They're as close to today as they are to the Y2K era, which is still pretty surprising to me, even though touchscreen phones were still hardly popular during the late 2000s.

A lot of people focus on the similarities with the late '00s but there were many differences as well.  Even in 2009, most people didn't have smartphones.  The iPhone was out but it was expensive.  It really is hard to believe we are as far from 2008 as 2008 was from 2000.  While very different in many ways, today doesn't feel as different from 2008 as 2008 did compared to 2000.

I really think the late '00s had the perfect balance when it comes to social media penetration.  It was a big deal but it wasn't all encompassing like it became after the smartphone era began.

However, 2010s fashion has finally fully established its identity in recent years; in the early 2010s, it was predominantly neutral or tepidly influenced by scene.

In my opinion, fashion took a step back in the early '10s.  Once emo/scene was out, it took a while for modern hipster fashion to infiltrate the mainstream.  For a lot of people, fashion was very neutral, much like it was during the mid '00s.  The early '10s were the last hurrah for logo t-shirts i.e. A&F, American Eagle, Aeropostale.

The most obvious difference, however, is that online videos from the late 2000s are still predominantly in standard definition, instantly giving them a retro look on par with stuff from the 80s and 90s. The crisp HD video, which has dominated the whole 2010s decade so far, makes YouTube clips and television shows from after the late 2000s feel like yesterday, even if they came out in 2010 or 2011.

Yes, looking at those old videos from the late '00s is a lot like watching something ported from VHS back when they were new.  The video coding gives a dated feel to the video.

Written By: 2001 on 05/22/16 at 5:17 pm

Where I live, late 2000s fashion was basically mid-2000s fashion, just different colour hoodies. Late 2008/early 2009 is when things started getting skinny and colourful. I bought my first pair of skinnies in June 2009 (not complete without my giant high-top sneakers!), and when I walked into school the next day, everyone was like "are you for real with this??" ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/22/16 at 5:21 pm

Yes, looking at those old videos from the late '00s is a lot like watching something ported from VHS back when they were new.  The video coding gives a dated feel to the video.

Yeah. It was like watching something from the 80s and early 90s on VHS, except that it's on the Internet.

Written By: #Infinity on 05/22/16 at 6:54 pm

Grunge was still pretty popular in 1996 and the very beginning of 1997, since you still had a lot of people buying and listening to Alice in Chains' Tripod album and the Presidents of the United States of America's self-titled from 1995, as well as new releases like Screaming Trees' Dust, Alice in Chains' MTV Unplugged live album, and especially Soundgarden's Down on the Upside. After that, however, grunge as a movement was totally gutted.

That said, many people would still buy grunge compilations throughout 1997-2002, such as Soundgarden's A-Sides, Alice in Chains' Nothing Safe (which had the major rock airplay hit "Get Born Again"), and culminating in Nirvana's self-titled black album that contained "You Know You're Right," the band's final studio recording from 1994 that wasn't released until eight years later, when it became one of the biggest rock songs of the end of 2002. In short, grunge was still popular well beyond the mid-90s, but not as a current movement. And yeah, grunge fashion began to really decline in 1996 and was gone by 1997. Outfits started to become much more colorful and tight-fit, even though the early 2000s look hadn't quite set in.

Written By: #Infinity on 05/22/16 at 7:02 pm

A lot of people focus on the similarities with the late '00s but there were many differences as well.  Even in 2009, most people didn't have smartphones.  The iPhone was out but it was expensive.  It really is hard to believe we are as far from 2008 as 2008 was from 2000.  While very different in many ways, today doesn't feel as different from 2008 as 2008 did compared to 2000.

Hell, the first few months are already as close to today as they are to 1999. Breaking Bad's premiere is now the same distance from the present as it is from autumn 1999.

I really think the late '00s had the perfect balance when it comes to social media penetration.  It was a big deal but it wasn't all encompassing like it became after the smartphone era began.

I totally agree. Social media then just felt like a nice option if you wanted to communicate with classmates online. I had a friend in my honors chemistry class in the 2009-2010 school year who helped me a lot with confusing assignments via Facebook chat. Nowadays, social media is the centerpiece of all cultural activity.

In my opinion, fashion took a step back in the early '10s.  Once emo/scene was out, it took a while for modern hipster fashion to infiltrate the mainstream.  For a lot of people, fashion was very neutral, much like it was during the mid '00s.  The early '10s were the last hurrah for logo t-shirts i.e. A&F, American Eagle, Aeropostale.

Even in the mid-2000s, the bushy wings haircut was becoming a huge trend, emo fashion was popular, and lots of girls imitated Avril Lavigne. People were not really emulating Lady Gaga or Ke$ha in the early 2010s; ironic that such extravagant fashion icons peaked in the most understated sub-era in modern history.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/22/16 at 7:08 pm

Grunge was still pretty popular in 1996 and the very beginning of 1997, since you still had a lot of people buying and listening to Alice in Chains' Tripod album and the Presidents of the United States of America's self-titled from 1995, as well as new releases like Screaming Trees' Dust, Alice in Chains' MTV Unplugged live album, and especially Soundgarden's Down on the Upside. After that, however, grunge as a movement was totally gutted.

That said, many people would still buy grunge compilations throughout 1997-2002, such as Soundgarden's A-Sides, Alice in Chains' Nothing Safe (which had the major rock airplay hit "Get Born Again"), and culminating in Nirvana's self-titled black album that contained "You Know You're Right," the band's final studio recording from 1994 that wasn't released until eight years later, when it became one of the biggest rock songs of the end of 2002. In short, grunge was still popular well beyond the mid-90s, but not as a current movement. And yeah, grunge fashion began to really decline in 1996 and was gone by 1997. Outfits started to become much more colorful and tight-fit, even though the early 2000s look hadn't quite set in.

In my experience Grunge lasted until late 1997-ish but I definitely agree the last breathes of the genre took place during 1997-2002. You Know You're Right is the very last Grunge hit ever.

Written By: #Infinity on 05/23/16 at 12:19 am

In my experience Grunge lasted until late 1997-ish but I definitely agree the last breathes of the genre took place during 1997-2002. You Know You're Right is the very last Grunge hit ever.

I don't really know where grunge specifically was after "Blow Up the Outside World" or maybe "Rhinosaur" as well, considering Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, and Screaming Trees all called it quits around late 1996/early 1997. However, a lot of post-grunge from the late 90s didn't stray at all far from 1994-ish post-grunge or even regular grunge. Oleander's "Why I'm Here" was a huge rock station hit in mid-1999, and that song borrows tons of elements from both "Heart-Shaped Box" and "Black Hole Sun," even though its lyrics are pretty cheesy ("everyone I know considers me a clown?" LMFAO!). 1998 still saw Hole achieving extreme popularity with "Celebrity Skin" and "Malibu," not to mention there was Creed's gritty, high-distortion debut dominate rock airwaves (the album's success continued into 1999 with "One"). There were a lot of other grungy songs as well that were less known but still significant, like Jerry Cantrell's "Cut You In" and "My Song," Tonic's "Open Up Your Eyes," and Marcy Playground's "Saint Joe on the School Bus." They may not be proper grunge songs, but they sure sound like classic 90s alternative tracks, separate from the poppier, early millennial-targeted groups like Third Eye Blind, Sugar Ray, and Smash Mouth.

Written By: yelimsexa on 05/24/16 at 7:23 am

My experiences based on since I was born (1985), with world and personal events being an important factor:

pre-1992: A truly bygone era

1992-1997: Vintage and nostalgic, but not "distantly old". I recently found an old commercial for Mazda from 1992, and they did use the then-new slang word "Epic".

1998-2001: Very dated and the newest era that I could personally still consider "old school", even if I didn't several years ago. This sub-era (Y2K) is rapidly waxing nostalgic among many (think 5th generation video games and early Pokemon).

2002-2005: Dated and not yet "retro cool". By now, reality TV and comic book-type movies had come in and by then, the Internet was seen as an appliance.

2006-2009: Some noticeable differences, but basically a lower-tech version of the present, but the latest period that I could say "dated". Storage clouds weren't yet around and HDTV was just starting to be the norm, with most people using DVDs (VHS had still been around as late as 2005) and Blu-Rays being the hot new thing, along with flash-type web pages just starting to come in. Many newer typefaces common on graphic design today were just being introduced or revived around this time. Still, if you compare this site from 2006, you won't find much difference about it.

2010+: The contemporary world. Just like in 2006, 1996, and 1986, the early parts of those decades at the time seemed subtly different with a few trends, but by an large was very similar to most lifestyles.

Generally speaking, it takes about a decade for trends to start to look noticeably different that they no longer feel current, and about two decades before they feel generationally different and cultural generational gaps become a noticeable issue. Just watch the upcoming season of Survivor that pitts Generation X with Millenials. 

Written By: whistledog on 05/24/16 at 2:51 pm

Back in the late 00s, I dated your mom.  Does that count?

Written By: XYkid on 05/25/16 at 12:43 am

Grunge fashion never died in the Northwest.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/26/16 at 12:23 am

I've noticed this also. I was just watching an early Nostalgia Critic video from 2007 a few days ago, and it's stunning just how grainy videos from back then look by today's standards. The difference is only going to become more jarring in the next decade, as 4K resolution becomes increasingly standard.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/26/16 at 12:45 am

I've noticed this also. I was just watching an early Nostalgia Critic video from 2007 a few days ago, and it's stunning just how grainy videos from back then look by today's standards. The difference is only going to become more jarring in the next decade, as 4K resolution becomes increasingly standard.

In 5 years the current resolution will look grainy and old school as well as 4K becomes the norm.

Written By: 2001 on 05/27/16 at 9:46 pm

In 5 years the current resolution will look grainy and old school as well as 4K becomes the norm.

Is there really going to be such a huge difference between 1080p and 4k at such far viewing angles?

Written By: Slim95 on 05/28/16 at 12:46 am

Is there really going to be such a huge difference between 1080p and 4k at such far viewing angles?

In 5 years there's not gonna be 4k, there's gonna be over 8k probably which will be different than 4k andit will make 1080p look super old school. That is if we don't transition into holograms by that time, which will make any resolution look old school.

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 06/03/16 at 8:57 am

Just gonna drop my thoughts on this one. Yes, as a gen Y'er/Millennial I still like to cling on to the late 2000s as they were my teenage years after all. But I must admit things are starting to look dated now.

The novelty of things like 3d in Windows 7 has worn off and Windows 10 has gone back to good old 2d.

Things were designed all super curvy and swoopy in the second half of the 2000s but now they are becoming more toned down and squarer again, sort of like a modern take on 80s design.

It is weird, I still remember movies like "Pineapple Express", "District 9", "There will be Blood" and "No country for old men" to be like yesterday, but they are now nearly 10 years old! A lot of those were movies that I downloaded and watched off torrent sites, the same as I do to this day.

2007 is the only full year of the non-early 2000s that didn't have a completely disastrous event in store for me, so I also have a soft spot for that year.

2007 is the year of NEW to me. First year of high school, first time making real friends since elementary (everyone in MS was more of an "acquaintance"), the 7th Gen consoles, YouTube, Gmail, Blackberries, iPhones, the last time I saw "56k Warning" on image heavy websites. What other new stuff happened that year? :o

I think you sum up 2007 very well. I have noticed a similar trend, it all exploded onto the scene in that year.

I also find the mid 10s depressing because I am in my mid-late 20s rather than my mid-late teens with that all to look forward to. But that is purely due to personal circumstances. There was plenty of doom and gloom in the 2000s all the way through to occupy a teenage mind.

What a hateful woman! She can't think out of her own state, let alone country! She seems to forget about millennial in other countries when she cites examples and even in her own country and just address people in her own class.

My experiences based on since I was born (1985), with world and personal events being an important factor:

pre-1992: A truly bygone era

1992-1997: Vintage and nostalgic, but not "distantly old". I recently found an old commercial for Mazda from 1992, and they did use the then-new slang word "Epic".

1998-2001: Very dated and the newest era that I could personally still consider "old school", even if I didn't several years ago. This sub-era (Y2K) is rapidly waxing nostalgic among many (think 5th generation video games and early Pokemon).

2002-2005: Dated and not yet "retro cool". By now, reality TV and comic book-type movies had come in and by then, the Internet was seen as an appliance.

2006-2009: Some noticeable differences, but basically a lower-tech version of the present, but the latest period that I could say "dated". Storage clouds weren't yet around and HDTV was just starting to be the norm, with most people using DVDs (VHS had still been around as late as 2005) and Blu-Rays being the hot new thing, along with flash-type web pages just starting to come in. Many newer typefaces common on graphic design today were just being introduced or revived around this time. Still, if you compare this site from 2006, you won't find much difference about it.

2010+: The contemporary world. Just like in 2006, 1996, and 1986, the early parts of those decades at the time seemed subtly different with a few trends, but by an large was very similar to most lifestyles.

Generally speaking, it takes about a decade for trends to start to look noticeably different that they no longer feel current, and about two decades before they feel generationally different and cultural generational gaps become a noticeable issue. Just watch the upcoming season of Survivor that pitts Generation X with Millenials.

Very interesting, I like how you have broken it down there. I relish the details you have included about each era and I do agree.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/03/16 at 11:45 am

Just gonna drop my thoughts on this one. Yes, as a gen Y'er/Millennial I still like to cling on to the late 2000s as they were my teenage years after all. But I must admit things are starting to look dated now.

The novelty of things like 3d in Windows 7 has worn off and Windows 10 has gone back to good old 2d.

Things were designed all super curvy and swoopy in the second half of the 2000s but now they are becoming more toned down and squarer again, sort of like a modern take on 80s design.

I miss that 3d wavy look. It looked more futuristic than what we have today. I have no idea why the flat, colourful cartoonish look got popular. I hate how that looks. I hope we go back to the design from before and improve over this one. So far, the look we have now is staying but I hope it goes away soon.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/03/16 at 11:51 am

I miss that 3d wavy look. It looked more futuristic than what we have today. I have no idea why the flat, colourful cartoonish look got popular. I hate how that looks. I hope we go back to the design from before and improve over this one. So far, the look we have now is staying but I hope it goes away soon.

Honestly, I like the Windows 10 look more than the Windows 7 one. It makes it look more futuristic, IMO.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/03/16 at 11:57 am

Honestly, I like the Windows 10 look more than the Windows 7 one. It makes it look more futuristic, IMO.

To me, Windows 10 looks "modern" but not "futuristic". The modern look looks like it came straight from the 80s.  8-P

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/03/16 at 12:39 pm

To me, Windows 10 looks "modern" but not "futuristic". The modern look looks like it came straight from the 80s.  8-P

It looks more like the 2010s to me. But it looks better than Windows 7, because it's more sophisticated.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/03/16 at 12:52 pm

It looks more like the 2010s to me. But it looks better than Windows 7, because it's more sophisticated.

2010s look does come from the 80s. That's what the modern look is. Flat and cartoonish. All the 2010s designs we see is inspired from the old 80s look.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/03/16 at 12:57 pm

2010s look does come fron the 80s. That's what the modern look is. Flat and cartoonish.

Well, it does look like it has neon colors. Hell, the modern Windows logo looks like it came from an 80s revival. But Windows 10 looks a bit futuristic than some 80s look in high definition.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/03/16 at 1:01 pm

Well, it does look like it has neon colors. Hell, the modern Windows logo looks like it came from an 80s revival. But Windows 10 looks a bit futuristic than some 80s look in high definition.

Windows 10 looks modern but it doesn't look futuristic to me. I remember when I first got Windows 7 I was like "this is really neat!" But in windows 10 I was just like "this is boring." I'm not a fan of the look myself.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/03/16 at 1:09 pm

Windows 10 looks modern but it doesn't look futuristic to me. I remember when I first got Windows 7 I was like "this is really neat!" But in windows 10 I was just like "this is boring." I'm not a fan of the look myself.

When I look at Windows 7, it reminds me of 2009. It makes it look modern for its time, despite being an upgraded Windows Vista. With Windows 10, it looks like something that could prosper through time. Meaning it looks like a futuristic OS, with smartphone features.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/03/16 at 1:16 pm

Windows 7, 8, 9, & 10 all feel similar to me. It feels like we've been in that era consistently since 2009 or 2010, and it's another reason why the culture hasn't changed much since then. Windows Vista felt like that shorted lived era throughout the late 2000's tied between the Windows XP and the Windows 7 & up eras. Similar to how Windows 2000 was tied between the Windows 95/98 and Windows XP eras.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/03/16 at 1:23 pm

When I look at Windows 7, it reminds me of 2009. It makes it look modern for its time, despite being an upgraded Windows Vista. With Windows 10, it looks like something that could prosper through time. Meaning it looks like a futuristic OS, with smartphone features.

Well there's a difference between modern and futuristic. Windows 7 doesn't look modern, but it does look more futuristic than windows 10 to me. I liked the aero glass transparency and the 3d effect. It looked really pleasing to the eye. Windows 10 no longer has that and just has the grey bar at the top of windows which looks plain and boring. I also always hated the metro UI too that is now found in the start menu. It looks really childish lol.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/03/16 at 1:24 pm

Windows 7, 8, 9, & 10 all feel similar to me.

There's no such thing as Windows 9.  ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/03/16 at 1:26 pm

Windows 7, 8, 9, & 10 all feel similar to me. It feels like we've been in that era consistently since 2009 or 2010, and it's another reason why the culture hasn't changed much since then. Windows Vista felt like that shorted lived era throughout the late 2000's tied between the Windows XP and the Windows 7 & up eras. Similar to how Windows 2000 was tied between the Windows 95/98 and Windows XP eras.

There wasn't a Windows 9. They just skipped to Windows 10 when they made their recent OS.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/03/16 at 1:34 pm

Well there's a difference between modern and futuristic. Windows 7 doesn't look modern, but it does look more futuristic than windows 10 to me. I liked the aero glass transparency and the 3d effect. It looked really pleasing to the eye. Windows 10 no longer has that and just has the grey bar at the top of windows which looks plain and boring. I also always hated the metro UI too that is now found in the start menu. It looks really childish lol.

How does it make it look futuristic? Windows 7 just basically acted like Windows XP and Vista, except that Windows 7 could pin your favorite apps. That is something which could look futuristic, since no other OS before Win 7 does that. But Windows 7 isn't that well enough for today. It's been around since 2009, and it only has four years left until it discontinues. Windows 10 looks modern, but it could have similar features whenever Microsoft makes an update over it,

Written By: Slim95 on 06/03/16 at 1:37 pm

How does it make it look futuristic? Windows 7 just basically acted like Windows XP and Vista, except that Windows 7 could pin your favorite apps. That is something which could look futuristic, since no other OS before Win 7 does that. But Windows 7 isn't that well enough for today. It's been around since 2009, and it only has four years left until it discontinues. Windows 10 looks modern, but it could have similar features whenever Microsoft makes an update over it,

I'm saying Windows 7 UI and design look futuristic. But Windows 7 is a dated OS I agree. It's like 7 years old which is ancient in the world of tech. Features are old too. The OS is dated, I'm just saying I like the look of Windows 7 more and the design looked more futuristic for me with the aero glass trasperency. I wish Microsoft would bring that back.

Written By: Howard on 06/03/16 at 2:28 pm

There's no such thing as Windows 9.  ;D

no such name.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/03/16 at 2:29 pm

There wasn't a Windows 9. They just skipped to Windows 10 when they made their recent OS.

Slim just told me that lol, and it was an accident, but hopefully both of you understand my point though.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/03/16 at 6:39 pm

Slim just told me that lol, and it was an accident, but hopefully both of you understand my point though.

Yeah. But I made that post before Slim.

Written By: 2001 on 06/04/16 at 9:35 am

It was actually lifted straight from late 2000s flat, minimalistic German/Scandinavian designs. I like the look of both, but next to the modern material design, I feel the glass-Vista look looks very cluttered and busy.

I haven't used Windows 10 yet. My computer tried to force the update and then botched the installation, and I haven't been able to get onto my Windows partition since. I was using Ubuntu 99.9% of the time anyway, so it wasn't a big deal. Right now I have a Macbook. Windows 8 looked the same as 7/Vista for the most part to me. The metro design of the startup screen felt tacked on and not at all suitable for non-touch screen computers.

It is weird, I still remember movies like "Pineapple Express", "District 9", "There will be Blood" and "No country for old men" to be like yesterday, but they are now nearly 10 years old! A lot of those were movies that I downloaded and watched off torrent sites, the same as I do to this day.

I think you sum up 2007 very well. I have noticed a similar trend, it all exploded onto the scene in that year.

I also find the mid 10s depressing because I am in my mid-late 20s rather than my mid-late teens with that all to look forward to. But that is purely due to personal circumstances. There was plenty of doom and gloom in the 2000s all the way through to occupy a teenage mind.

What a hateful woman! She can't think out of her own state, let alone country! She seems to forget about millennial in other countries when she cites examples and even in her own country and just address people in her own class.

Very interesting, I like how you have broken it down there. I relish the details you have included about each era and I do agree.

Welcome back! I haven't seen you post in a while.

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 06/23/16 at 1:13 am

Heh, thanks for the welcome. I usually come back here when I am feeling nostalgic/depressed to reminisce about the 2000s :\'( It's getting to the point where I have said pretty much all there is to say about the 2000s but once in awhile I like to chime in.

Written By: JohnMarston on 07/02/16 at 9:08 pm

To me even 2009 feels *very* dated. From the way we interact in our daily lives to things like politics, technology, music and even general attitudes. Smartphones and social media have pretty much revolutionised everything, as well as how heavily monetized and political the internet has become overall. Most people under 30 are so invested in the virtual reality of social media, it has essentially transformed from a revolutionary form of communication to an integral part of our lives.

Written By: Catherine91UK on 07/03/16 at 2:17 pm

I was thinking recently that Lady Gaga's 'Pokerface' sounds quite dated now.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/03/16 at 2:24 pm

I was thinking recently that Lady Gaga's 'Pokerface' sounds quite dated now.

I think the earliest electropop songs sound dated now. They don't have that modern sound which most mid 2010s songs have nowadays.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/03/16 at 3:15 pm

I think the earliest electropop songs sound dated now. They don't have that modern sound which most mid 2010s songs have nowadays.

Even back in 2010, I thought The Fame Monster sounded distinctly newer than The Fame. Gaga's debut is arguably more late 2000s-style than early 2010s, whereas Monster is a clear break from the 2000s despite being released before the end of that decade. I remember there was a popular remix of "Just Dance" that was stylistically more crunk than electropop, not to mention "Paparazzi" has a totally late 2000s beat in the Timbaland sense.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/03/16 at 3:27 pm

Even back in 2010, I thought The Fame Monster sounded distinctly newer than The Fame. Gaga's debut is arguably more late 2000s-style than early 2010s, whereas Monster is a clear break from the 2000s despite being released before the end of that decade. I remember there was a popular remix of "Just Dance" that was stylistically more crunk than electropop, not to mention "Paparazzi" has a totally late 2000s beat in the Timbaland sense.

There's not much difference between late 00s and early 10s. It's all one era. As for crunk, that's actually from the mid 2000s.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/03/16 at 3:30 pm

There's not much difference between late 00s and early 10s. It's all one era.

If you're talking about late 2008 through 2012 then I could agree with you on this one.

Even though, I still define the main early 2010's era to be from late 2009-mid 2012, with late 2010-2011 being the absolute peak period.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/03/16 at 3:34 pm

There's not much difference between late 00s and early 10s. It's all one era.

The Recession alone is enough to distinguish the late 2000s from the early 2010s, but then there's also the fact that iPhones were hardly a thing during the former period, whereas they were huge during the latter, in addition to tablets. Emo, post-grunge, rhythmically-focused urban, and snap music were still gigantic during the late 2000s, but electropop and "pop-indie" dominated the early 2010s. MySpace was still way more popular than Facebook and Twitter in the late 2000s. The Marvel Cinematic Universe was still purely speculative in the late 2000s, despite the release of the original Iron Man and the post-credits clip. Ringtones were still an overbearing craze in the late 2000s. The differences go on and on, really.

The only part of the late 2000s that can truly be categorized with the early 2010s is 2009, since that's when electropop first started to become popular and it was also the first full year dominated by Obama and the Recession, but in retrospect, I think 2009 is primarily just a transition between the two decades, which makes sense, given its timing. If ever there was a "hybrid era" linking the 2000s with the 2010s, it would be almost exclusively confined to that year.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/03/16 at 3:42 pm

The Recession alone is enough to distinguish the late 2000s from the early 2010s, but then there's also the fact that iPhones were hardly a thing during the former period, whereas they were huge during the latter, in addition to tablets. Emo, post-grunge, rhythmically-focused urban, and snap music were still gigantic during the late 2000s, but electropop and "pop-indie" dominated the early 2010s. MySpace was still way more popular than Facebook and Twitter in the late 2000s. The Marvel Cinematic Universe was still purely speculative in the late 2000s, despite the release of the original Iron Man and the post-credits clip. Ringtones were still an overbearing craze in the late 2000s. The differences go on and on, really.

The only part of the late 2000s that can truly be categorized with the early 2010s is 2009, since that's when electropop first started to become popular and it was also the first full year dominated by Obama and the Recession, but in retrospect, I think 2009 is primarily just a transition between the two decades, which makes sense, given its timing. If ever there was a "hybrid era" linking the 2000s with the 2010s, it would be almost exclusively confined to that year.

The recession was still very well present in the early 10s. It didn't fully recover. IPhones came out in 2007, and really exploded in popularity and switched people with slider phones with the IPhone 5 in 2012, which was already almost the end of the early 10s. Same case for tablets, they only came out in 2010 but didn't really get popular until 2012. MySpace was not more popular than Facebook in the late 00s... I clearly remember the kids in school making fun of me for still having MySpace in 2009 and urging me to switch to Facebook. MySpace already started dying in 2008. Facebook and Twitter were already huge in 2008 and 2009. Ringtone and crunk was not popular in the late 00s, that's a mid 00s trend. The late 00s was all about electropop just like the early 10s, leaving the emo era and starting to wear more colourful clothes. This is why the late 00s and early 10s are one era. But by late 00s, I really mean mid 2008 to 2012. I still consider 2007-early 2008 strictly mid 00s.

Also besides technology, we haven't gotten that far since the late 00s/early 10s culturally. The overall culture and music is not that different today compared to then. However you couldn't say the same for 2006 vs. 1998 because those were super different. We have progressed with technology though now since the late 00s/early 10s.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/03/16 at 3:49 pm

Don't forget about the second half of 2008 too. 2007 was still totally different though. That year still had the classic mid 00s feel.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/03/16 at 4:10 pm

The recession was still very well present in the early 10s. It didn't fully recover. IPhones came out in 2007, and really exploded in popularity and switched people with slider phones with the IPhone 5 in 2012, which was already almost the end of the early 10s. Same case for tablets, they only came out in 2010 but didn't really get popular until 2012.

So if people were still using slider phones throughout most of the early 2010s, then what's the point of mentioning that the iPhone wasn't that popular during the early 2010s?

MySpace was not more popular than Facebook in the late 00s... I clearly remember the kids in school making fun of me for still having MySpace in 2009 and urging me to switch to Facebook. MySpace already started dying in 2008. Facebook and Twitter were already huge in 2008 and 2009.

I suppose it was the case in some locations, but nobody gave Myspace sh*t until it turned into a ghost town around 2010-2012. You could've just ignored them and instead make a Facebook account in the early 2010s. But honestly, Facebook just seems really unsafe. I don't know why would people use the site, if it has you reveal most of your personal information if you're so naive about it. And what's worse is that nobody gives a sh*t. So, I should just suggest using Twitter.

Ringtone and crunk was not popular in the late 00s, that's a mid 00s trend.

So, stuff like Soulja Boy is part of the mid 2000s, even though they weren't around until 2007? Which is majorly one of the most quintessential years of the late 2000s?!

The late 00s was all about electropop just like the early 10s, leaving the emo era and starting to wear more colourful clothes.

Funny, I could remember some emo stuff being part of the late 2000s. I suppose you haven't checked your Mypsace before the late 2000s even started.  ::)

This is why the late 00s and early 10s are one era. But by late 00s, I really mean mid 2008 to 2012. I still consider 2007-early 2008 strictly mid 00s.

What planet do you live in that believes the mid 2000s is basically 2007-early 2008? What about 2004-2006? Do they get no certain attention, or are they ignored? Does your leader give you straight A's on your exams, because you're one of the smartest people on it?!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Uh-WR8ASqao/VLkzHI1tGYI/AAAAAAAACbw/GcrMlChaBhg/s1600/gots%2Bto%2Bknow.gif

Also besides technology, we haven't gotten that far since the late 00s/early 10s culturally. The overall culture and music is not that different today compared to then. However you couldn't say the same for 2006 vs. 1998 because those were super different. We have progressed with technology though now since the late 00s/early 10s.

Yeah, you're right. But those kinds of devices weren't even that popular until early 2010 to 2012. So basically, it's like a transitional period.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/03/16 at 4:15 pm

What planet do you live in that believes the mid 2000s is basically 2007-early 2008? What about 2004-2006? Do they get no certain attention, or are they ignored? Does your leader give you straight A's on your exams, because you're one of the smartest people on it?!

I meant the numerical late 00s portion felt like the mid 00s... Obviously mid 00s had 2004-2006 too... I didn't think that needed to be said lol.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/03/16 at 4:17 pm

So if people were still using slider phones throughout most of the early 2010s, then what's the point of mentioning that the iPhone wasn't that popular during the early 2010s?

So, stuff like Soulja Boy is part of the mid 2000s, even though they weren't around until 2007? Which is majorly one of the most quintessential years of the late 2000s?!

I don't know what you mean by your quote on the top.

Soulja Boy has a mid 00s feel, yes. In his videos he's wearing baggy clothes and pants and wearing chains.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/03/16 at 4:20 pm

The recession was still very well present in the early 10s. It didn't fully recover. IPhones came out in 2007, and really exploded in popularity and switched people with slider phones with the IPhone 5 in 2012, which was already almost the end of the early 10s. Same case for tablets, they only came out in 2010 but didn't really get popular until 2012.

It did not take that long for iPhones to become common! By about 2010 or so, they were quite popular. iPads took off pretty quickly, too.

MySpace was not more popular than Facebook in the late 00s... I clearly remember the kids in school making fun of me for still having MySpace in 2009 and urging me to switch to Facebook. MySpace already started dying in 2008.

Facebook only surpassed MySpace in popularity at the very start of 2009.

https://securemedia.compete.com/site_media/upl/img/AP-FBMyS-0225-6.gif

Facebook and Twitter were already huge in 2008 and 2009.

Facebook was growing in users, but Twitter was still pretty unknown in the late 2000s. I never even heard of it until about 2010 or 2011.

Ringtone and crunk was not popular in the late 00s, that's a mid 00s trend.

Uhm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UFIYGkROII

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IH8tNQAzSs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDAaevTq51I

Don't even try to compare those songs to something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mC2ixOAivA

The late 00s was all about electropop just like the early 10s, leaving the emo era and starting to wear more colourful clothes. This is why the late 00s and early 10s are one era. But by late 00s, I really mean mid 2008 to 2012. I still consider 2007-early 2008 strictly mid 00s.

At best, that definition specifically describes the "Great Recession" era, but is hardly reflective of the culture itself aside from the bad economy. There were so many changes though between 2008 and 2010 that it's really not worth calling them one in the same. Usher went from this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB5e0zHRzHc

To this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-dvTjK_07c

Katy Perry was this in 2008:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdGZBRAwW74

And then this in 2010:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98WtmW-lfeE

Heck, even Pitbull went from this in 2009...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2up_Eq6r6Ko

...to this the following year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9_n8jakvWU

Also, 2007 and early 2008 were super distinct from the real mid-2000s (May 2003 to August 2006 by the chronological definition). The mid-2000s were all about 50 Cent/G-Unit, Lindsay Lohan movies, Paris Hilton, Arrested Development, Lil' Jon, Game Boy Advance SP, Dance Dance Revolution, the latter years of the 6th generation of gaming, and the Saddam Hussein-era Iraq War. MySpace was really the only form of social media people knew about during that period, aside from a few college circles who picked up on Facebook early on. By contrast, the late 2000s were represented by things such as the Nintendo Wii, the mainstream breakthrough of YouTube and Facebook, the standardization of the 7th generation of gaming, Hannah Montana, the Angry Video Game Nerd, Loose/FutureSex/LoveSounds-era Timbaland, Heroes, 30 Rock, Nintendo DS, Guitar Hero, Rock Band, snap music, Gordon Brown, Blackberry phones, the election of Obama, and the gradual collapse of the world economy. Those are all pretty different trends compared to the actual mid-2000s, if you ask me!

I can sort of agree if you're talking about the chronological early 2010s, but not the late 2000s. Back at the turn of the decade, you still had a lot of this:

https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2014-05/enhanced/webdr06/19/20/enhanced-buzz-16333-1400544272-14.jpg

http://www.newcellphonesblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Sprint-BlackBerry-Bold-9650-cell-phone-02.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0c-kC8xZ-I

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2009/03/04/business/04blockbuster.450.jpg

Although just about all technology that's popular today existed in some form back in the late 2000s, its popularity was a whole different matter entirely. In the same way, you could basically live like it was 2006 back in 1997 if you were among the first people to buy DVD's, listen to MP3's, listen to 2000s bands and artists before their commercial breakthroughs, and use the Internet on a constant basis. Few people were that high-tech that year, but the foundations were all there. It doesn't mean, though, that 1997 was truly similar to 2006.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/03/16 at 4:21 pm

I meant the numerical late 00s portion felt like the mid 00s... Obviously mid 00s had 2004-2006 too... I didn't think that needed to be said lol.

That stuff about different plants was a joke.  :P

I don't know what you mean by your quote on the top.

Soulja Boy has a mid 00s feel, yes. In his videos he's wearing baggy clothes and pants and wearing chains.

If you mentioned that iPhones weren't that popular until 2012, then why did you bother talk about it?

It's 2016 and people still wear baggy clothes and plants. Not to mention that it had a YouTube-esque video sharing website on the music video.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/03/16 at 4:23 pm

That's just typical hip hop fashion. Even today, a lot of African Americans dress like they did around the 2000s.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/03/16 at 5:06 pm

If you mentioned that iPhones weren't that popular until 2012, then why did you bother talk about it?

It's 2016 and people still wear baggy clothes and plants. Not to mention that it had a YouTube-esque video sharing website on the music video.

I was just replying to Infinity's comment. The baggy clothes and chains are totally a classic 00s trend.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/03/16 at 5:08 pm

I was just replying to Infinity's comment. The baggy clothes and chains are totally a classic 00s trend.
'

So? I could also reply to your comments. It's not restricted to just Infinity for anybody to reply to them.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/03/16 at 5:11 pm

'

So? I could also reply to your comments. It's not restricted to just Infinity for anybody to reply to them.

I know but I meantioned IPhones because that's what the topic was and that's what she wrote. I didn't just randomly mention  IPhones lol.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/03/16 at 5:32 pm

I know but I meantioned IPhones because that's what the topic was and that's what she wrote. I didn't just randomly mention  IPhones lol.

But other people are allowed to reply to whatever you posted.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/03/16 at 5:32 pm

Maybe with white suburban adolescents who eat up whatever fads the mass media promotes, but not in hip hop culture. Even if rappers like Drake have a different image than 50 Cent and Lil Jon, the basic style has remained pretty unchanged since the late 1980s.

http://static.djbooth.net/pics-features/nwa-number-1.jpg

Written By: Slim95 on 07/03/16 at 6:17 pm

But other people are allowed to reply to whatever you posted.

NYE What are you even talking about? I never said they couldn't. Where is this coming from?  ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/03/16 at 6:26 pm

NYE What are you even talking about? I never said they couldn't. Where is this coming from?  ;D

From your posts. You were talking like Infinity was only allowed to reply to them.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/03/16 at 6:40 pm

From your posts. You were talking like Infinity was only allowed to reply to them.

No I wasn't... You asked me why I mentioned IPhones and I told you I was replying to her comment about IPhones. Read my post again lol. I have no idea where you got the idea where nobody can reply to my comments. You must have misread my post. I welcome anyone replying to my comments, these debates are fun.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/03/16 at 6:44 pm

No I wasn't... You asked me why I mentioned IPhones and I told you I was replying to her comment about IPhones. Read my post again lol. I have no idea where you go the idea where nobody can reply to my comments. You misread my post. I welcome anyone replying to my comments, these debates are fun.

The recession was still very well present in the early 10s. It didn't fully recover. IPhones came out in 2007, and really exploded in popularity and switched people with slider phones with the IPhone 5 in 2012, which was already almost the end of the early 10s.

So then what do you mean by saying people with slider phones switched with the iPhone 5 in 2012?

Written By: Slim95 on 07/03/16 at 6:47 pm

So then what do you mean by saying people with slider phones switched with the iPhone 5 in 2012?

I meant what I said. 2012 is when I noticed people with slider phones switching to smartphones. That's the year smartphones truly felt like they replaced older phones and everyone started buying them that year. That's why I don't really see smartphones being popular in the late 00s/early 10s. Most people still had slider phones and Blackberries.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/03/16 at 6:54 pm

I meant what I said. 2012 is when I noticed people with slider phones switching to smartphones. That's the year smartphones truly felt like they replaced older phones and everyone started buying them that year. That's why I don't really see smartphones being popular in the late 00s/early 10s. Most people still had slider phones and Blackberries.

Well, I could agree with you on that. Smartphones haven't been keen towards a lot of people until 2012/2013, but it was still noticeable around the very early 2010s.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/03/16 at 6:57 pm

Infinity killed it with post #137!

Don't get mid 2000's culture (late 2003/2004-2006) confused with late 2000's culture (late 2006-2008) lol!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/03/16 at 7:22 pm

Don't get mid 2000's culture (late 2003/2004-2006) confused with late 2000's culture (late 2006-2008) lol!

Or pretty much any era's culture.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/03/16 at 7:29 pm

Looking at this discussion, I'm starting to notice the late 00s were truly distinct from the early 10s. Infinity and NYE pretty much laid it down, but there are some other things either not mentioned or not much detail 

Regarding gaming, the Wii and the 360 were the most popular consoles during the late 00s. The craze was everywhere to the point that it was unavoidable for anyone to not know what they were. Both of them had high purchase sales with the Wii ranking in 1st place thanks to the casual audience. Even though most of the modern gaming issues began during this time, it wasn't as over-saturated as it would be later on. The games still had variety of genres; not much unnecessary DLC; the multiplayer mode was still both offline and online as later on, it would strictly only be the latter; except the Wii since it already had the function, the controllers and the games were pre-motion and the gameplay was generally more important than the graphics.

By the early 10s, it was the PS3 that was the most popular console as both the Wii and the 360 (although more of the former) were majorly declining. The games had less genres to the point that a few were almost obsolete; too much unnecessary DLC; the multiplayer mode was mainly online; every console, the controller and most games were now motion control and the gameplay was generally less important than the graphics.

Now for music: electropop may been there, but the late 00s still had plenty of other popular genres in the mainstream. Ringtone or Snap rap, for instance, were still widely played on the radio with rappers such as Soulja Boy, Lil' Wayne and Hurricane Chris. R&B singers like Ne-Yo, Usher, Beyonce, Mariah Carey and Alicia Keys were on the radio. Even rock musicians such as Paramore, All American Rejects and Katy Perry (Yes, her 2008 album is mostly rock) were mainly still played in the mainstream. Furthermore in the late 00s, Akon and T-Pain were everywhere as they were frequently featured on almost every R&B and Rap song.

Onto fashion, i don't recall seeing much bright and colorful gear during the late 00s. Emo was still widely everywhere that some were wearing the clothing; other outfits include baggy jeans being mainstream, jean skirts, popped collar shirts, and tracksuits; and certain hairstyles were still worn such as the wingcut, chunky highlights and dyed black hair.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/03/16 at 7:40 pm

2006 is a mid 00s year both numerically (until October) and culturally.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/03/16 at 7:42 pm

Looking at this discussion, I'm starting to notice the late 00s were truly distinct from the early 10s. Infinity and NYE pretty much laid it down, but there are some other things either not mentioned or not much detail 

Regarding gaming, the Wii and the 360 were the most popular consoles during the late 00s. The craze was everywhere to the point that it was unavoidable for anyone to not know what they were. Both of them had high purchase sales with the Wii ranking in 1st place thanks to the casual audience. Even though most of the modern gaming issues began during this time, it wasn't as over-saturated as it would be later on. The games still had variety of genres; not much unnecessary DLC; the multiplayer mode was still both offline and online as later on, it would strictly only be the latter; except the Wii since it already had the function, the controllers and the games were pre-motion and the gameplay was generally more important than the graphics.

By the early 10s, it was the PS3 that was the most popular console as both the Wii and the 360 (although more of the former) were majorly declining. The games had less genres to the point that a few were almost obsolete; too much unnecessary DLC; the multiplayer mode was mainly online; every console, the controller and most games were now motion control and the gameplay was generally less important than the graphics.

Now for music: electropop may been there, but the late 00s still had plenty of other popular genres in the mainstream. Ringtone or Snap rap, for instance, were still widely played on the radio with rappers such as Soulja Boy, Lil' Wayne and Hurricane Chris. R&B singers like Ne-Yo, Usher, Beyonce, Mariah Carey and Alicia Keys were on the radio. Even rock musicians such as Paramore, All American Rejects and Katy Perry (Yes, her 2008 album is mostly rock) were mainly still played in the mainstream. Furthermore in the late 00s, Akon and T-Pain were everywhere as they were frequently featured on almost every R&B and Rap song.

Onto fashion, i don't recall seeing much bright and colorful gear during the late 00s. Emo was still widely everywhere that some were wearing the clothing; other outfits include baggy jeans being mainstream, jean skirts, popped collar shirts, and tracksuits; and certain hairstyles were still worn such as the wingcut, chunky highlights and dyed black hair.

Well I think the confusion is how you define late 00s. 2007 still had those things, but I consider it mid 00s. About Fall 2008 is when the late 00s truly began. After that, it was the same era as the early 10s. That's what I'm trying to say. I realize late 2006 and 2007 were different from the early 10s and more similar to the mid 00s, no argument there.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/03/16 at 7:52 pm

Well I think the confusion is how you define late 00s. 2007 still had those things, but I consider it mid 00s. About Fall 2008 is when the late 00s truly began. After that, it was the same era as the early 10s. That's what I'm trying to say. I realize late 2006 and 2007 were different from the early 10s and more similar to the mid 00s, no argument there.
Yeah, that's the problem. The 2000s is a difficult decade to define by era as they were off by one or 2 years. I think it's better to describe the time period by halves because honestly, the mid 00s were actually part of both the early and late portion of the era. 2004 had early 00s elements while 2007 had mid 00s environment.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/03/16 at 7:56 pm

Just because there was mid 2000s stuff in 2007, that doesn't mean the entire year was culturally mid 2000s. The 2006-07 school year was somehow culturally mid 00s, but a lot of people in this forum would say otherwise. Especially when late 2006 started some late 2000s influences. Even with late 2008 starting the late 2000s to you, it still had a lot of late 2000s influences at the time.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/03/16 at 7:59 pm

Yeah, that's the problem. The 2000s is a difficult decade to define by era as they were off by one or 2 years. I think it's better to describe the time period by halves because honestly, the mid 00s were actually part of both the early and late portion of the era. 2004 had early 00s elements while 2007 had mid 00s environment.

To be honest, only the early portions had environments from prior eras. Early 2004 and 2007 was basically like late 2003 and 2006. I don't see how it's that difficult to define it.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/03/16 at 8:43 pm

To be honest, only the early portions had environments from prior eras. Early 2004 and 2007 was basically like late 2003 and 2006. I don't see how it's that difficult to define it.
It really is. There seems to be 5 distinct era in one decade for some reason.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/03/16 at 8:46 pm

It really is. There seems to be 5 distinct era in one decade for some reason.

Well, there's the pre-9/11 early 2000s, then the main early 2000s, then the mid 2000s, and finally the late 2000s. It just seems like four, but I don't really mind that as a problem.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/03/16 at 9:52 pm

Well, there's the pre-9/11 early 2000s, then the main early 2000s, then the mid 2000s, and finally the late 2000s. It just seems like four, but I don't really mind that as a problem.

You may add to that the pseudo-2010s if you prefer to distinguish 2009, or at least part of it from the rest of the late 2000s.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/03/16 at 9:53 pm

The problem is that your definition of the mid 2000's being extended to 2007 and early 2008 is what we define as the late 2000's period. We consider the mid 2000's (2004-2006) and the late 2000's (late 2006-2008) to be separate eras of pop culture. Sure, 2004-early 2008 might have been similar in many ways, but there's still a lot of differences between 2004-mid 2006 and late 2006-2008. Fall 2008 through Spring or Summer 2009 was the late 2000's to early 2010's cultural transition, and by Fall 2009, early 2010's culture was in full effect. The late 2000's and early 2010's aren't the same thing, those were separate eras. Also, I notice how you define 2003 as a mid 2000's year (yes numerically it's mostly mid 2000's but culturally it's still early) and you still consider 2007 & early 2008 to be part of mid 2000's culture. That doesn't make any sense. 2003-early 2008 was not one full era, that's too long and there were too many differences between the periods. 2003-2005 could be classic 2000's. 2006 is kinda in between. By 2007 & 2008 things became too modern for it to be classic 2000's anymore. Back to the 2003 debate. 2003 was still arguably an early 2000's year and still had a lot in common with 2002, even though 2003 was a transition year, it's the last full year of early 2000's culture but at the same time it's the year mid 2000's influences started coming in. Late 2006-2008 may have still had a lot of mid 2000's influences leftover, but it was definitely late 2000's by then. Just look at #Infinity's chart, she pretty much explained the mid 2000's and late 2000's differences, and what you consider as "late 2000's" was part of early 2010's culture. The late 2000's did not start in late 2008, the late 2000's was transitioning into early 2000's culture by late 2008/early 2009 and by late 2009 early 2010's culture officially took over.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/03/16 at 10:51 pm

The problem is that your definition of the mid 2000's being extended to 2007 and early 2008 is what we define as the late 2000's period. We consider the mid 2000's (2004-2006) and the late 2000's (late 2006-2008) to be separate eras of pop culture. Sure, 2004-early 2008 might have been similar in many ways, but there's still a lot of differences between 2004-mid 2006 and late 2006-2008. Fall 2008 through Spring or Summer 2009 was the late 2000's to early 2010's cultural transition, and by Fall 2009, early 2010's culture was in full effect. The late 2000's and early 2010's aren't the same thing, those were separate eras. Also, I notice how you define 2003 as a mid 2000's year (yes numerically it's mostly mid 2000's but culturally it's still early) and you still consider 2007 & early 2008 to be part of mid 2000's culture. That doesn't make any sense. 2003-early 2008 was not one full era, that's too long and there were too many differences between the periods. 2003-2005 could be classic 2000's. 2006 is kinda in between. By 2007 & 2008 things became too modern for it to be classic 2000's anymore. Back to the 2003 debate. 2003 was still arguably an early 2000's year and still had a lot in common with 2002, even though 2003 was a transition year, it's the last full year of early 2000's culture but at the same time it's the year mid 2000's influences started coming in. Late 2006-2008 may have still had a lot of mid 2000's influences leftover, but it was definitely late 2000's by then. Just look at #Infinity's chart, she pretty much explained the mid 2000's and late 2000's differences, and what you consider as "late 2000's" was part of early 2010's culture. The late 2000's did not start in late 2008, the late 2000's was transitioning into early 2000's culture by late 2008/early 2009 and by late 2009 early 2010's culture officially took over.

Actually, the really interesting thing is that I used to think about the 1980s similarly to how Slim95 feels about the 2000s. For a while, I used to call winter 1983/1984 through summer 1988 the entire mid-1980s. I thought there were hardly any differences between the start of the chronological late 80s and 1984, based primarily on the fact that '84 technically already had hair metal, gated drums, macho action flicks, shows like Miami Vice and the Cosby Show, and even old school hip hop (i.e., Run-DMC's debut album). I thought it took the election of Bush the Elder, the standardization of new jack swing, the end of the Cold War, shows like TMNT and The Wonder Years, and the mainstream breakthroughs of New Kids on the Block and Paula Abdul just to get away from 1984.

Looking back, I really overlooked how much actually changed during the course of the 80s, especially around 1986 in particular. During that year alone, you had the premiere of ALF, the official release of the Nintendo Entertainment System, the start of the late 80s wave of hair metal (more different from mid-80s glam metal than I gave credit for) with Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet and Poison's Look What the Cat Dragged In, the release of Janet Jackson's Control (an extremely influential record to pop music through at least 1990), the breakthrough of hip hop to mainstream audiences with Run-DMC's "Walk This Way" and the Beastie Boys' Licensed to Ill, the rise of Macintosh and Windows computers, and the end of shows like Knight Rider, the Fall Guy, He-Man, and Inspector Gadget. Popular music in 1984 and 1985 was primarily influenced by Michael Jackson's Thriller, with tons of synthesizers but still lots of post-disco sensibilities and drums that snap rather than crash. Beginning around the last third of 1986, off the heels of the aforementioned Control album, the synthpop influences were fading and instead being replaced by loud, crashing percussion and buzzsaw synths. Whereas 1986 started mostly with songs like "Crush on You," "Something About You," and "Party All the Time," its later months were represented by "Papa Don't Preach," "Word Up," "You Give Love a Bad Name," "I Didn't Mean to Turn You On," "Missionary Man," "Notorious," and "Human" (a huge break from the stuff most people associate Duran Duran and The Human League for). As with any other cultural decade, there's plenty of room to give or take from the sub-eras' boundaries, but I've decided that the mid-80s both began and ended on time (roughly May 1983 to August 1986), even if late 1983 isn't absolutely identical to late 1985 and early 1986.

I think this outlines how inevitable it is that popular culture is going to change a lot from year to year, no matter where you mark the starting and ending points for cultural sub-eras. Although I still think late 1988 to mid-1991 is quite distinct from the chronological late 80s leading to that period, it's still much easier to gravitate towards the chronological definition when categorizing most things from late 1986 and 1987.

Similarly, I really don't think it makes much sense to describe most things as late as autumn 2007 to early/mid-2008 as "mid-2000s" because that period is well within the chronological confines of the late 2000s and is extremely different from 2004 and even 2005. Just because you can identify a few things from the 2007-2008 school year that could have been relevant in 2003 or 2004 doesn't mean the entire period should be categorized with the past. Beavis & Butthead still being on television and "C U When You Get There" and "If I Could Teach the World" being bigs hit doesn't make late 1997 mid-90s alone, just as Baby Bash's "Cyclone" doesn't automatically land late 2007 in the mid-2000s.

Even if you're dealing with a decade whose cultural boundaries are really irregular, like the 1970s, I'm still not going to call "I Will Survive," "Bad Girls," or even "Stayin' Alive" mid-70s songs just because they could have all been huge hits in 1974/1975. The late 70s also had Star Wars, Billy Joel, Blondie, post-shark jump Happy Days, Charlie's Angels, Laverne & Shirley, and Three's Company, none of which were significant in the mid-70s.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/03/16 at 11:52 pm

I realize there were changes. But I don't like splitting it into tiny eras. The 2000s weren't consistent, but I feel like the classic 2000s did last until mid 2008. Maybe not all at once but the change was significant Fall 2008.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/04/16 at 12:14 am

I realize there were changes. But I don't like splitting it into tiny eras. The 2000s weren't consistent, but I feel like the classic 2000s did last until mid 2008. Maybe not all at once but the change was significant Fall 2008.

I can understand calling 2007 and the first half of 2008 "classic 2000s" and even similar to the mid-2000s in the general sense, but I just don't think it makes any sense to specifically call them mid-2000s when they're practically at the center of the chronological late 2000s. In the same way, I can understand describing 2010 and 2011 as part of the "Great Recession" era that includes 2009 and maybe even the end of 2008, but I don't get the logic of simply calling them the "late 2000s." Even if you think there's a distinct hybrid era that bridges two decades together, that doesn't mean more than half of the late-prefix portion of the former decade is totally the same as that same decade's middle phrase. 2007 is still the late 2000s, even if you think it's culturally different from late 2008 and 2009.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/04/16 at 12:17 am

I can understand calling 2007 and the first half of 2008 "classic 2000s" and even similar to the mid-2000s in the general sense, but I just don't think it makes any sense to specifically call them mid-2000s when they're practically at the center of the chronological late 2000s. In the same way, I can understand describing 2010 and 2011 as part of the "Great Recession" era that includes 2009 and maybe even the end of 2008, but I don't get the logic of simply calling them the "late 2000s." Even if you think there's a distinct hybrid era that bridges two decades together, that doesn't mean more than half of the late-prefix portion of the former decade is totally the same as that same decade's middle phrase. 2007 is still the late 2000s, even if you think it's culturally different from late 2008 and 2009.

Alright I can agree with that.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/04/16 at 9:06 am

You may add to that the pseudo-2010s if you prefer to distinguish 2009, or at least part of it from the rest of the late 2000s.

I could add late 2009 to the pseudo-2010s, but I already did that a million times.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/04/16 at 9:30 am

Well, there were some classic 2000s influences during early-mid 2008, but it wasn't that relevant during the year.

Written By: 2001 on 07/04/16 at 6:17 pm

I think it was late 2011 when smartphones overtook dumbphones in market share. However, I'd say smartphones became a daily sighting and a big part of our culture by late 2009. If you think about it, the Arab Spring could not have happened without social media in cheaply accessible places (aka smartphones), and that occurred mostly in late 2010/early 2011.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/05/16 at 3:50 am

I've read all the comments and I agree with Infinity and Marquis(Mq) 100%  Slim was confusing core 00s with mid and late. 2007 and the first half of 2008 was still core YES! But... those were clearly late 00s years. Late 2008 and 2009 was simply a transnational time. Going from the late 2000s until the early 10s. 2009-10 season is the first I and MANY people consider early 10s.

I associate the late 2000s with the Wii, Backlash against the bush administration,HSM and Hannah Monatana, early Youtube, etc.
NOT Obama, economic recession, PS3, Breaking Bad, etc.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/05/16 at 3:52 am

and yes the 2006-07 season did have some mid 00s vibes, but that was the start of the late 00s, culturally and without question numerically.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/05/16 at 9:03 pm

I think it was late 2011 when smartphones overtook dumbphones in market share. However, I'd say smartphones became a daily sighting and a big part of our culture by late 2009. If you think about it, the Arab Spring could not have happened without social media in cheaply accessible places (aka smartphones), and that occurred mostly in late 2010/early 2011.

I also remember Michael Jackson's death in June 2009 having a massive impact on social media. I think both Twitter and Google crashed for a little while because of the increased web traffic, and that had alot to do with smartphones I think. I remember seeing the footage outside of the hospital where MJ died and, like, just about everybody standing across the street gawking were looking down at their phones. So even by Summer '09 smartphones had a pretty big presence.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/05/16 at 10:02 pm

I also remember Michael Jackson's death in June 2009 having a massive impact on social media. I think both Twitter and Google crashed for a little while because of the increased web traffic, and that had alot to do with smartphones I think. I remember seeing the footage outside of the hospital where MJ died and, like, just about everybody standing across the street gawking were looking down at their phones. So even by Summer '09 smartphones had a pretty big presence.

In 2009 smartphones were luxury items. Average people definitely didn't have them. You can see this in music videos too. Blackberries were huge during that period.

Also just because you can go on the internet on the phone doesn't mean it's a smartphone. I only consider it a smartphone if it is fully touchscreen. My dumb phone from a while back had pay as you go web surfing. There is a difference between slider phones or blackberries and smartphones.

Written By: 2001 on 07/05/16 at 10:54 pm

Twitter used to crash every other hour back in 2007-2009 ;D

https://venturebeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/failwhale.png

The page already gives me some nostalgia. Refresh, refresh, refresh ;D

Written By: mqg96 on 07/06/16 at 5:47 am

I just died so hard when both of you said twitter "crashed" back in 2009. That goes to show you it was still in its early days lol.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/06/16 at 9:28 am

I remember seeing that error when Twitter was starting to become mainstream in the early 2010s.

Written By: violet_shy on 07/06/16 at 1:02 pm

To me it does seem dated. It will be 10 years ago next year, so yeah that's really dated and old lol. Sorry everyone! I never used the Twitters or Facebook back then. I regret it  ::)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/06/16 at 1:09 pm

To me it does seem dated. It will be 10 years ago next year, so yeah that's really dated and old lol. Sorry everyone! I never used the Twitters or Facebook back then. I regret it  ::)

Well, 2007 would be 10 years ago next year. But yeah, I'll feel like 2007-mid 2009 would be like more than ten years ago when we get to 2017.

Written By: Howard on 07/06/16 at 2:41 pm

and YouTube crashed as well. :o

Written By: Slim95 on 07/21/16 at 11:10 pm

I get nostalgic for this Pepsi commercial from 2009. 2009 felt like a fun year because it was the last year of the decade despite the recession.

gycH-myYbZI

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/22/16 at 3:21 am

As we move into the late 2010s the late 2000s is looking pretty dated. 2007 is looking more and more dated as pop culture is noticeably different and a lot of the technology we have now either didn't exist was wasn't as popular yet. 2008-2009 aren't dated to me yet, bbbuuuttt by 2020 when they become over 10 years old I don't think I'd call them recent years.

Written By: Zelek3 on 07/22/16 at 3:27 am

I get nostalgic for this Pepsi commercial from 2009. 2009 felt like a fun year because it was the last year of the decade despite the recession.

gycH-myYbZI

I know I'm nitpicking here, but I really miss the old Pepsi and Mountain Dew logos. They were cool.

http://www.pepsicointernship.ro/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/logo-MD-300x192.jpg
http://www.theoriginof.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/Pepsi-Logo.jpg

The new, "stylized" ones look lame in my opinion. Come to think of it, 2008-2009 was the time where the style of making everything flat and "simplified" really took hold.

Compare that to the style of the late 90s/early 00s (pictured above), where designers tried to throw in everything and the kitchen sink.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/22/16 at 6:36 pm

I know I'm nitpicking here, but I really miss the old Pepsi and Mountain Dew logos. They were cool.

The new, "stylized" ones look lame in my opinion. Come to think of it, 2008-2009 was the time where the style of making everything flat and "simplified" really took hold.

Compare that to the style of the late 90s/early 00s (pictured above), where designers tried to throw in everything and the kitchen sink.

It's more like late 2008/early 2009 when they changed their logos into simplistic ones. But yeah, the old Pepsi logo was really great for its time. Really loved it as a kid.

Written By: 2001 on 07/22/16 at 6:56 pm

2008ish was when I first heard the term "Web 2.0", but it was a reference to companies changing their logos from the giant, brick logos to the minimalist, skinny designs.

Some logos look better after the change, some look worse. Pepsi definitely looks worse, I remember all the people complaining about it and they were all correct. Others like Walmart were much better though. Overall, I'd have to say I prefer the late 2000s look. It isn't just brands that change their style, it's other things like poster ads or store layouts etc. that change as well. The late 2000s look felt cleaner and more futuristic, generally.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 07/23/16 at 1:00 am

Sorry, Zelek but Pepsi logo 1998-2003 > Pepsi Logo 2003-2008.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/23/16 at 7:38 am

Are you kidding me!  ;D Now that's just trolling on purpose, you know the 1997-2003 Pepsi logo was barely any different from the 2003-2008 one, other than making the 2003-2008 with a shiner and more 3-D look.

1997-2003
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/logopedia/images/2/28/Pepsi-logo-21.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150801163216

2003-2008
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/logopedia/images/5/50/Pepsi_2003.png/revision/latest?cb=20140327110453

Those two were very similar to each other, now, the 2008-present one, THAT is horrible and ugly! Another reason why 2008 was a huge transition year for everything in general. Look what they did to the white slash in the middle. They made it slanted. I was always more of a coke product fan than pepsi anyway.
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/logopedia/images/e/e9/Pepsi_logo_2008.svg/revision/latest?cb=20150415040255

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/23/16 at 8:34 am

They're pretty much the same.  :P

Written By: Slim95 on 07/23/16 at 10:56 am

Are you kidding me!  ;D Now that's just trolling on purpose, you know the 1997-2003 Pepsi logo was barely any different from the 2003-2008 one, other than making the 2003-2008 with a shiner and more 3-D look.

1997-2003
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/logopedia/images/2/28/Pepsi-logo-21.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150801163216

2003-2008
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/logopedia/images/5/50/Pepsi_2003.png/revision/latest?cb=20140327110453

Those two were very similar to each other, now, the 2008-present one, THAT is horrible and ugly! Another reason why 2008 was a huge transition year for everything in general. Look what they did to the white slash in the middle. They made it slanted. I was always more of a coke product fan than pepsi anyway.
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/logopedia/images/e/e9/Pepsi_logo_2008.svg/revision/latest?cb=20150415040255

They made it slanted so it can look like a smile I heard. Anyway I also prefer the pre-2008 one. And I agree, another reason why 2008 was transitional. A lot of logos were changing to the flat cartoonish look in 2008 which is still popular today.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/23/16 at 11:01 am

They made it slanted so it can look like a smile I heard. Anyway I also prefer the pre-2008 one. And I agree, another reason why 2008 was transitional. A lot of logos were changing to the flat cartoonish look in 2008 which is still popular today.

It doesn't look like a smile. It looks like their symbol, but more sloppy.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/23/16 at 11:31 am

It doesn't look like a smile. It looks like their symbol, but more sloppy.

The reason the changed it is for their symbol to look like a smile. Although it looks like a weird smile.
http://i0.wp.com/beachpackagingdesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Smiling-Pepsi-Logo-design.jpg

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/23/16 at 11:54 am

The reason the changed it is for their symbol to look like a smile. Although it looks like a weird smile.
http://i0.wp.com/beachpackagingdesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Smiling-Pepsi-Logo-design.jpg

To me, it reminds me of an obese man.

http://komplexify.com/images/2009/PepsiFat2.png

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/23/16 at 12:10 pm

https://media.giphy.com/media/jQmVFypWInKCc/giphy.gif

Written By: 80sfan on 07/23/16 at 12:18 pm

2008 will be 9 years ago, next year.

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/23/16 at 12:29 pm

2008 will be 9 years ago, next year.

Pretty shocking. '07 will be 10 years old.  By '19 the entirety of 2000s will be over 10 years old.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/23/16 at 12:33 pm

Pretty shocking. '07 will be 10 years old.  By '19 the entirety of 2000s will be over 10 years old.

That's why I think we'll see a lot of changes culturally in 2017. It will make the late 00s look even more dated and feel like 10 years ago.

Written By: Howard on 07/23/16 at 2:09 pm

1997-2003

2003-2008

Back in my days The Pepsi logo looked like this:
http://www.retroist.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/pepsi-logo.jpg

Written By: Howard on 07/23/16 at 2:10 pm

;D

Written By: Slim95 on 07/23/16 at 2:12 pm

Oddly enough the new logo actually did make me drink less Pepsi. It feels like Pepsi tasted better before because the old logo was so much better. It's funny how marketing can change how your brain interprets things.

Written By: Howard on 07/23/16 at 2:30 pm

Oddly enough the new logo actually did make me drink less Pepsi. It feels like Pepsi tasted better before because the old logo was so much better. It's funny how marketing can change how your brain interprets things.

How about the 80's Coke logo:
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/logopedia/images/9/9e/Coca-Cola_logo_2007.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/200?cb=20110909170809

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/23/16 at 2:51 pm

How about the 80's Coke logo:
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/logopedia/images/9/9e/Coca-Cola_logo_2007.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/200?cb=20110909170809

Meh. It's pretty much the same, but it doesn't make me go buy a Coke. I'll rather buy a Dr. Pepper if I wanted a soda.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/23/16 at 8:45 pm

I always liked the Mellow Yellow logo from the early '90s.

http://logos-vector.com/images/logo/xxl/1/1/3/113809/Mello_Yello_126f6_450x450.png

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/23/16 at 8:57 pm

I always liked the Mellow Yellow logo from the early '90s.

http://logos-vector.com/images/logo/xxl/1/1/3/113809/Mello_Yello_126f6_450x450.png

Looks like one of the Prudential logos. Except it has a yellow background.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 07/26/16 at 10:20 pm

1997-2003

2003-2008

I can't believe that in 2003 Pepsi drastically changed their logo to appeal to the scum of the real 00's! >:(

;D ;)

Written By: #Infinity on 07/26/16 at 10:22 pm

I can't believe that in 2003 Pepsi drastically changed their logo to appeal to the scum of the real 00's! >:(

;D ;)

It's still better than their current logo, which is designed to appeal to the "progressive" social media/iPhone addicts of today!

Written By: JordanK1982 on 07/26/16 at 10:24 pm

It's still better than their current logo, which is designed to appeal to the "progressive" social media/iPhone addicts of today!

Yeah, what's that thing supposed to be, anyway? Did the art director's 3 year old daughter draw it?

Written By: Zelek3 on 07/26/16 at 10:27 pm

Though I miss the x-treme late 90s one, I'm also glad Pepsi brought back their pre-1997 logo. It's a really classy logo.

http://www.seriouseats.com/images/20100126-throwback.jpg

I don't even like Pepsi much, but oddly, this logo makes me want to drink it more. :o

Written By: JordanK1982 on 07/26/16 at 10:29 pm

They brought this back? I remember they sold it in stores roughly 5 years ago and me and my wife stocked up on it. Tasted great but I can't find it in stores anymore.

Written By: Zelek3 on 07/26/16 at 10:39 pm

It's still in stores I believe.

However, they changed its name to "Pepsi-Cola Made with Real Sugar".

Written By: Slim95 on 07/26/16 at 10:41 pm

They don't have Pepsi Throwback here. The last time I had some was like 5 years ago as well. I hope they bring it back temporarily again.

Written By: Howard on 07/27/16 at 2:49 pm

;D ;)

They probably wanted a new logo that appeals to kids.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 07/27/16 at 2:50 pm

Though I miss the x-treme late 90s one, I'm also glad Pepsi brought back their pre-1997 logo. It's a really classy logo.

http://www.seriouseats.com/images/20100126-throwback.jpg

I don't even like Pepsi much, but oddly, this logo makes me want to drink it more. :o

I still like Pepsi.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 07/27/16 at 3:52 pm

No, the late '00s still feel like yesterday to me at the moment. I say give it another year.

Check for new replies or respond here...