inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: SEGA Dreamcast! 15 years later....

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/18/16 at 1:25 am

http://www.retrogamer.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/dreamcast.png

I know that I'm a few months late... But who cares! ;D ;)

This was SEGA's swan song in the console market and left a lasting but short lived legacy amongst the gaming industry. It started in 1999, and was successful in Japan, but struggled in America due to a... BUNCH of reasons! ;D Anyways, the console produced definitive versions of certain games(Tony Hawk's Pro skate 1, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Crazy Taxi etc.)
The console was discontinued in March 2001, and it was certainly the end of an era in gaming. Now that it's been 15 years, what are you thoughts on the console? did you guys have any favorite games on the system? where would y'all rank it? Do you guys agree that gaming hasn't been the same since SEGA left?!

Subject: Re: SEGA Dreamcast! 15 years later....

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/18/16 at 6:10 am

I think gaming has been a bit modern since Sega became a third-party publisher.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/18/16 at 10:01 am

I remember feeling really devastated when Sega announced that it was leaving the console market. For as much as I loved my Super Nintendo, I always thought of myself as more of a "Genesis kid" growing up. When the usual playground arguments broke out about Sega vs. Nintendo or Sonic vs. Mario, I usually tended to take the side of Sega and Sonic.

Then it all just sort of fell apart. The original PlayStation came along and just obliterated the Saturn, and it was discontinued in 1998 before I ever had the chance to get one. I had fully planned on getting a Dreamcast at some point, but, sadly, history repeated itself. The massive hype for the PlayStation 2 totally swamped the Dreamcast, and the system was discontinued in 2001, again before I had the chance to buy one. It's kind of sad that, despite being the massive Sega fan that I was as a kid, the Genesis wound up being the only Sega console I ever actually owned. :(

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/18/16 at 1:52 pm

I have to say it made on the gaming industry in general, despite it being short lived, it introduced more franchises for the Sega world and it was pretty much the first console to play online gaming. Ever since Sega became a 3rd party, it had changed the industry ever since. They were the ones who really innovated everything and took risks to make it (although that cost them the competition as it was too early for those new advanced formats at the time) While Xbox took over as its successor and has had awesome games, they really haven't been that creative and they were the ones who began the dudebro culture later on in the 7th generation. 

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/18/16 at 2:05 pm

It was a fun and colorful console. I had Sonic Adventure, the came with demo and temporary Capcom Vs. SNK 2000. Those are the only memories I have with the console which is enough to make me wish SEGA was still going strong. Man, the creativity the demo library CD offered. Power Stone was one heck of a game.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/18/16 at 2:05 pm

This system was discontinued even before 6th generation gaming entered its prime.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/18/16 at 2:08 pm

When I think about it, I may vaguely remember seeing a Sega Dreamcast at someone's house before who I visited, like a looong time ago, but other than that I've only been familiar with Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft my whole life being aware of gaming. I was only in pre-K when the last Sega console got continued  :-X  and the Atari was something my dad told me about which I had never heard of either.

Written By: 2001 on 05/21/16 at 4:18 pm

I desperately want to play Shenmue.

Check for new replies or respond here...