inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Interesting article that describes the "Y2K era" aesthetic

Written By: yelimsexa on 06/18/16 at 3:45 pm

I just came across this interesting article that describes that popular fashions and designs that were popular and it discusses how that although there were embryonic elements of it in the late '80s/early '90s, such trends (translucency, shiny synthetics, strong use of gradients, blurring (the similarly-named band seemed to peak in popularity around that time), etc.) started to noticeably emerge, peak in late 1999/early 2000 (thence being timed perfectly), and then fading out altogether for the core '00s around 2003. That said, a considerable influence of today's design/fashion owes itself to this Y2K aesthetic and if anything, seems to be making a bit of a revival. That said, even though one of the technological motifs mentioned grids, I see that a lot more in '80s design (think the Transformers G1 intro, Entertainment Tonight's 1983-88 opening, etc.) Speaking of synthetics, it seems that the stainless steel remains as popular as ever, though it clearly became mainstream around this time as well.

http://www.papermag.com/the-institute-of-y2k-aesthetics-1814307641.html?slide=OIawMF

Subject: Re: Interesting article that describes the "Y2K era" aesthetic

Written By: SpyroKev on 06/18/16 at 4:15 pm

I'm kind of over it. Even though I wouldn't mind a revival of sweat bands and baseball caps, it would feel too forced.

Written By: #Infinity on 06/18/16 at 6:16 pm

Wow, I've never seen anybody describe 1993 as having planted the roots of "Y2K culture." 1996? Sure, that's when a lot of late 90s/early 2000s shows, bands, and movements took off or at least found their start, but 1993 is really a stretch. I get what Evan Collins is trying to aim at with his general description of what Y2K culture is in itself, and there are certain similarities between the early/mid-90s and 1999-2001 (new-jack swing from around the former period directly influenced a lot of later teen pop, and it's not like tank tops were nonexistent back in 1993), but then are "90s" aesthetics "grungy" by default and not a little more complex than that?

Written By: musicguy93 on 06/18/16 at 9:57 pm

I'm kind of over it. Even though I wouldn't mind a revival of sweat bands and baseball caps, it would feel too forced.

Yeah, I'm a bit divided on this. Sure a Y2K revival may come across as forced. On the other hand, I would take a forced Y2K revival over the godawful, lame hipster fashion trends that continues to dominate the 2010s, any day of the week.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/18/16 at 10:21 pm

I think the dude who's being interviewed and made that imgur album actually posted about it on this site here a few months ago.

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/17/16 at 7:41 am

When 2000s nostalgia fully takes off I assume there would be a bit of a revival in the Y2K aesthetic. Also sorry for bumping, but I just found the thread interesting.  Interesting that it has its roots in 1993 and then peaking in late 1990s-early 2000s (or 1993 from when the aesthetic can first be seen to 2003 when it was last scene). I actually would like to see a comeback of the "Y2K style" whenever the 2000s revival hits. As mentioned in the article fashion revivals go in 20 years cycles. So I wonder what fashion would be like in 2020.

Link to the Y2K Aesthetic Tumblr "http://y2kaestheticinstitute.tumblr.com/". Combine that whole neo-futuristic vibe subculture that was present in the late 1990s-early 2000s with the whole xtreme sports trends that existed within the exact same era and you got yourself one crazy unique era. That's not even counting a bunch of there things that existed at the time.

Changes can easily be noticeable in things like the Xbox console. Original Xbox had the whole futuristic vibe while the 360 and One did not for some reason.

Original Xbox Dashboard
36yvAqRPVIo

Xbox 360/One
http://vividgamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/xboxdash1.jpg
http://xboxonedaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/xbox-one-dash.png

Even the other consoles like the PS2, Dreamcast, and Gamecube gave off that similar futurisitc vibe.
PS2
cf9Ht8OFyEM

Dreamcast
HGQKBeslT-U

Gamecube
OUHJUJkbv-k

Check for new replies or respond here...