inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2005-2006 R&B Music

Written By: Ripley on 06/26/16 at 2:53 pm

Some like to refer to this time period as a comeback for R&B. While I get what they mean because the genre slowed down a bit between 2000 and 2004, I wouldn't call it a true comeback. The sound was different. Much of it had a hip-hop sound with production by the likes of Lil Jon and The Neptunes.  At the time "Snap" was very popular. And some of the genre was dubbed "Crunk N' B".

While it was fun and I enjoyed a good amount of it, it wasn't the true R&B I grew up with. That's why I don't care to call it a comeback because the great stuff wasn't back. Though we did still have 90's greats such as Ginuwine and Usher. The later of which was one of the first artists to use Crunk with his 2004 hit "Yeah!" along with Ciara with her hit debut Goodies. So the trend started earlier but 2005 was where I recall R&B being all over the radio again. And there were several hits that year and the next.

Unfortunately, many of the new artists only had a couple of hits and they sort of vanished. Several albums we're actually shelved as well. This seemed to happen a lot in the 2000's, with different genres.

Some of the 2005 rookies included: Brooke Valentine, Teairra Marie, and Tyra B. And then there was Bobby Valentino, who was a part of the 90's group Mista. In 2002 he actually auditioned for season 1 of American Idol. But this year he released his solo debut. Keyshia Cole and Chris Brown released her first albums as well.

In 2006 some new artists included: Cherish, Cassie and Ne-Yo who has had a lot of success behind the scenes as well.

Subject: Re: 2005-2006 R&B Music

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/26/16 at 3:38 pm

I disagree Ripley... R&B from 2004-2007 sounded the same to me.

Written By: #Infinity on 06/26/16 at 3:38 pm

I hated this period for r&b back when it was going on, and while in retrospect, it's simply a mixed bag, that certainly doesn't make it good. Urban music was becoming more juvenile than ever before, with melodic originality being overtaken by repetition and shock value. Although some hits from the period were pretty solid, like "So Sick" and "Be without You," most of it ranged from average to just downright insulting. You had unlistenable sleaze like Pretty Ricky, plus one of the most shamelessly misogynistic r&b songs ever, "When You're Mad;" it's hard to believe such a horrifying tune came out merely 10 years ago.

Written By: Ripley on 06/26/16 at 4:47 pm

One song I really hated was Eamon's "F*** It". I can't stand T-Pain and Akon. These artists make me shake my head. But I do think those girls I mentioned have vocal talent it's just that most of the music and a lot of the lyrics suck.

Written By: Ripley on 06/26/16 at 4:49 pm

And when we fast forward to 2016 I feel comfortable saying there's no real R&B at all.

Written By: doublejm1 on 06/26/16 at 9:00 pm

If I'm not mistaken, these artists also released their debut albums in 2005-2006:

-Rihanna
-T-Pain
-Trey Songz

Written By: nally on 06/26/16 at 9:38 pm

If I'm not mistaken, these artists also released their debut albums in 2005-2006:

-Rihanna
-T-Pain
-Trey Songz

Yes, a number of them did. I remember Rihanna's singles "Pon De Replay" from 2005 and "SOS" in 2006.

Written By: Ripley on 06/27/16 at 7:16 pm

Rihanna was the best back then. The fun sweet innocent girl.  Her songs were so catchy. I loved both the first to albums. Music of the Sun and A Girl Like Me.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/27/16 at 8:56 pm

Yea early Chris brown and Rhianna were the sh*t back then! Also Ciara, Marques Houston, and Ne-Yo too!

Written By: Ripley on 06/27/16 at 9:33 pm

Marques and the boys released an EP last year. They're supposedly working on a new album, Forever. But I had his MH and Naked albums. They we're good. I was really into Immature/IMx and now they've went back to their original name. "I've got the munchies for you baby. You've got the flavor I adore." Great song

Written By: nally on 06/27/16 at 11:14 pm

Rihanna was the best back then. The fun sweet innocent girl.  Her songs were so catchy. I loved both the first to albums. Music of the Sun and A Girl Like Me.

O0

I remember finding myself hooked on that "SOS" song ten years ago. It contains a sampling of Softcell's "Tainted Love" throughout.

Check for new replies or respond here...