inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Music in 2016 vs 2006

Written By: doublejm1 on 06/26/16 at 10:36 pm

I remember stars like Chris Brown, Beyonce, and Rihanna doing very "poppy" music in 2005-2007. Fast forward ten years and it seems they're mostly doing hip hop and R&B now. Even rap heavyweights like Lil Wayne had been teaming up with Euro DJs like Guetta and Calvin Harris since 2009 or thereabouts, but that seems to be dying down.

Also, emo/rock bands like Fallout Boy and Panic at the Disco aren't as big these days.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Subject: Re: Music in 2016 vs 2006

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/27/16 at 7:21 am

Pretty much anything nowadays is either hip hop or electronic pop. Ten years ago, it used to be really diverse with rock, R&B, hip hop, pop, etc. I don't know what the hell happened, but I guess people today don't give a sh*t about music that much.

Written By: aja675 on 06/27/16 at 8:04 am

What do you think would be the latest song you could call dated?

Written By: #Infinity on 06/27/16 at 10:07 am

Probably "Die Young" by Ke$ha. It's already over three years old, but it's pretty identifiably an electropop song and not EDM, at least imo. Ke$ha apparently being past her prime only drives this feeling further. This, of course, is only focusing on major chart hits.

Written By: #Infinity on 06/27/16 at 10:09 am

Pretty much anything nowadays is either hip hop or electronic pop. Ten years ago, it used to be really diverse with rock, R&B, hip hop, pop, etc. I don't know what the hell happened, but I guess people today don't give a sh*t about music that much.

The sad thing is that even indie music has been somewhat declining over the past few years. There have been some popular releases, but nothing on the same level as, say, Arctic Monkeys' AM.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/27/16 at 11:02 am

One thing I definitely don't miss from the 2006 music scene is that whole Snap Rap genre. I remember it being dismissively called "Ringtone Rap" back in the day because it sounded like every song was crafted exclusively so teenagers could download a 30 second clip onto their phones and use it as a ringtone. 2006 was basically ground zero for one of the worst genres in pop music history. Anybody remember these "gems"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NXBgSCSrIk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90HUOD5b8EI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SBN_ikibtg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEYMaSoXQUM

Written By: #Infinity on 06/27/16 at 12:20 pm

One thing I definitely don't miss from the 2006 music scene is that whole Snap Rap genre. I remember it being dismissively called "Ringtone Rap" back in the day because it sounded like every song was crafted exclusively so teenagers could download a 30 second clip onto their phones and use it as a ringtone. 2006 was basically ground zero for one of the worst genres in pop music history. Anybody remember these "gems"?

I do, and not fondly, either! They're largely to blame for driving me away from mainstream pop when, at my age. I should have been following it more than ever!

Written By: Slim95 on 06/27/16 at 12:56 pm

Probably "Die Young" by Ke$ha. It's already over three years old, but it's pretty identifiably an electropop song and not EDM, at least imo. Ke$ha apparently being past her prime only drives this feeling further. This, of course, is only focusing on major chart hits.

I would not call electropop songs dated because we still have songs these days that are electropop. I personally don't feel Die Young is dated at all.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/27/16 at 1:03 pm

The last popular song I would call dated is probably No One by Alecia Keys. That song already felt slightly dated when it came out.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/27/16 at 1:10 pm

Music in 2006 was very different. We had a lot of catchy pop songs like "Promiscuous" and "Sexy Back" unlike today. Nelly Furtado, Justin Timberlake and Timbaland was all the rage in 2006. Had fun songs, a lot of hip-hop songs too. These days all you hear is trap songs where you can barely understand the words. Rihanna just came into tge spotlight in 2006. Music was a lot better back then.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/27/16 at 1:27 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NXBgSCSrIk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90HUOD5b8EI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SBN_ikibtg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEYMaSoXQUM
Yeah all of them. They're pretty much the reason why Rap was in a dark age during that timeframe. Yeah, there were non-snap rap songs which were miles better than those ones, but the sub-genre was everywhere so much that it was almost difficult to avoid.

The last popular song I would call dated is probably No One by Alecia Keys. That song already felt slightly dated when it came out.
I agree. That song could have came out earlier from the way it sounds.

Written By: #Infinity on 06/27/16 at 2:08 pm

And songs like "What You Got," "September," "Blame It (On the Alcohol)," "LoveDrunk," "According to You," "Live Like We're Dying," and "The Man Who Can't Be Moved" aren't dated and could just as easily be big hits in 2016?

Written By: Slim95 on 06/27/16 at 2:13 pm

And songs like "What You Got," "September," "Blame It (On the Alcohol)," "LoveDrunk," "According to You," "Live Like We're Dying," and "The Man Who Can't Be Moved" aren't dated and could just as easily be big hits in 2016?

I don't even know those songs except "blame it on the alcohol" which definitely does not sound dated at all... in fact I'm pretty sure that song had a heck ton of autotune in it. Anything with noticable autotune in it sounds pretty damn recent to me. So any song from the early 2010s doesn't sound dated.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/27/16 at 2:47 pm

Actually this song came in 2007. I thought it came out in 2009 for some reason. I'll have to choose another song. Probably something like No Air by Jordin Sparks and Chris Brown. One of those old R&B sounding songs in 2008-2009 is the last dated songs.

Written By: #Infinity on 06/27/16 at 5:35 pm

I don't even know those songs except "blame it on the alcohol" which definitely does not sound dated at all... in fact I'm pretty sure that song had a heck ton of autotune in it. Anything with noticable autotune in it sounds pretty damn recent to me. So any song from the early 2010s doesn't sound dated.

Okay then, are Zapp & Rogers' "I Wanna Be Your Man" (1987) and BLACKstreet's "Before I Let You Go" (1994) also completely up to date? Auto-tune isn't exactly a recent phenomenon. "Blame It (On the Alcohol)" has extremely 2000s-sounding production (compare it to Kanye West's "Flashing Lights") and doesn't even have that distinct trap style of percussion. If anything, its feel is pretty darn similar to "No One."

Written By: Slim95 on 06/27/16 at 6:29 pm

Okay then, are Zapp & Rogers' "I Wanna Be Your Man" (1987) and BLACKstreet's "Before I Let You Go" (1994) also completely up to date? Auto-tune isn't exactly a recent phenomenon. "Blame It (On the Alcohol)" has extremely 2000s-sounding production (compare it to Kanye West's "Flashing Lights") and doesn't even have that distinct trap style of percussion. If anything, its feel is pretty darn similar to "No One."

Blame it on the alcohol sounds nothing like No One. They are completely different genres. That song sounds very recent-sounding to me despite it being released a while back.  Autotune is relatively new... It was invented in 1998 and became really popular starting in 2008.

Written By: #Infinity on 06/27/16 at 7:15 pm

Blame it on the alcohol sounds nothing like No One. They are completely different genres. That song sounds very recent-sounding to me despite it being released a while back.  Autotune is relatively new... It was invented in 1998 and became really popular starting in 2008.

You really exaggerate how overnight-transformative 2008 was and especially how close it is to present day. Even if you don't consider the talk box to be identical to auto-tune (which actually came out in spring 1997, even though it was first popularized with Cher's "Believe"), its breakthrough was certainly not as late as 2008. Plenty of teen pop songs from the Y2K era use the device, as did countless snap and hip hop songs during the mid and late 2000s, especially those associated with T-Pain (who became huge at the turn of 2006 and has hardly found any success this decade aside from a couple of early guest appearances).

I think bchris02 summarizes pretty perfectly how people overestimate 2008's differences from the rest of the 2000s decade, that even though the onset of the Great Recession, election of Obama, and breakthrough of Lady Gaga (who was more 2009, anyway) were huge deals at the time, the seeds of change didn't actually fully blossom until at least a year later, if not more. Even in 2009, very few people owned an iPhone, tablet devices weren't out yet, and pop rock was still quite prevalent on the charts.

Written By: 2001 on 06/27/16 at 8:22 pm

I remember people complaining in 2004 about how every song had autotune nowadays.

I thought ringtone rap was the proper name  ;D It was a really bad era for music. By late 2006 I couldn't listen to the radio anymore, it was just awful.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/27/16 at 8:45 pm

I remember people complaining in 2004 about how every song had autotune nowadays.

I thought ringtone rap was the proper name  ;D It was a really bad era for music. By late 2006 I couldn't listen to the radio anymore, it was just awful.

I don't remember that. I remember people started complaining in 2009. You barely heard any autotune in 2004. Most 04' songs were hip-hop without autotune.

Written By: 2001 on 06/27/16 at 9:11 pm

I don't remember that. I remember people started complaining in 2009. You barely heard any autotune in 2004. Most 04' songs were hip-hop without autotune.

Most major bands and singers were using autotune in 2004. You could tell because the Internet was popular by then, a lot of artists sounded like the next Madonna on their albums, but once you saw them live they were complete disasters. I remember trashing people's favourite bands on Urban Dictionary back then, "uses autotune; sucks live" was the easy go-to complaint.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/27/16 at 10:09 pm

Most major bands and singers were using autotune in 2004. You could tell because the Internet was popular by then, a lot of artists sounded like the next Madonna on their albums, but once you saw them live they were complete disasters. I remember trashing people's favourite bands on Urban Dictionary back then, "uses autotune; sucks live" was the easy go-to complaint.

This. So many artists were using auto tune by the end of the 90's. Sure, it wasn't as in-style to be in-your-face like it became by the end of the 00's but it was still used although in more of a correction-tool way rather than a effect type of way. Even a lot of the Fat Wreck Pop Punk bands I was listening to started to use it (sometimes a bit too heavily) on their post-1997 releases (looking at you NoFX...). I wouldn't blame auto tune for anyone's live suckage, however, it's probably only a small factor. ;D

Written By: aja675 on 06/27/16 at 10:43 pm

If you go on SongMeanings, you could find comments from 2002 about Britney Spears using studio tricks to sound better, at the same time, however, autotune was not a household name until roughly 2009.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/27/16 at 11:52 pm

If you go on SongMeanings, you could find comments from 2002 about Britney Spears using studio tricks to sound better, at the same time, however, autotune was not a household name until roughly 2009.

Exactly, that's what I thought. Autotune is different than other effects. It has a distinct sound. A lot of people call other effects autotune these days and it annoys me, because it isn't.

Written By: 2001 on 06/28/16 at 5:20 pm

This. So many artists were using auto tune by the end of the 90's. Sure, it wasn't as in-style to be in-your-face like it became by the end of the 00's but it was still used although in more of a correction-tool way rather than a effect type of way. Even a lot of the Fat Wreck Pop Punk bands I was listening to started to use it (sometimes a bit too heavily) on their post-1997 releases (looking at you NoFX...). I wouldn't blame auto tune for anyone's live suckage, however, it's probably only a small factor. ;D

Yeah, it came out in the late 90s, and from the record company's perspective, why wouldn't you use autotune? It's common sense.  ;D

It was a household name for me in 2004, as I said.  :P Everyone knew what the word meant by then. They made an autotune joke in the Lizzie McGuire movie. I think there was an episode about autotune on Friends, the one where Phoebe gets signed up for a record deal and makes the Smelly Cat song. This was in the late 90s/early 2000s.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/28/16 at 5:50 pm

Yeah, it came out in the late 90s, and from the record company's perspective, why wouldn't you use autotune? It's common sense.  ;D

It was a household name for me in 2004, as I said.  :P Everyone knew what the word meant by then. They made an autotune joke in the Lizzie McGuire movie. I think there was an episode about autotune on Friends, the one where Phoebe gets signed up for a record deal and makes the Smelly Cat song. This was in the late 90s/early 2000s.

They didn't say the word autotune in the Lizzie Mcuire movie and that effect they were talking about in the movie wasn't even autotune...

Written By: 2001 on 06/28/16 at 5:56 pm

They didn't say the word autotune in the Lizzie Mcuire movie and that effect they were talking about in the movie wasn't even autotune...

I'm talking about this scene, watch the first minute.

sf1cx7xdWCc

That's autotune. What do you think autotune is?  ??? They don't have to invoke the name "autotune" for it to be autotune, lol.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/28/16 at 5:59 pm

I'm talking about this scene, watch the first minute.

sf1cx7xdWCc

That's autotune. What do you think autotune is?  ??? They don't have to invoke the name "autotune" for it to be autotune, lol.

That's not autotune... It seems like you don't even know what autotune is lol. That is simpy mixing and remastering the vocals to improve vocals. Autotune is actual pitch correction that usually creates a robotic effect on the vocals. Totally different effects.

He isn't even doing any effect actually... He is simply lip syncing. For all we know it could have been a different guy singing the song on the recorded track.

Written By: 2001 on 06/28/16 at 6:14 pm

That's not autotune... It seems like you don't even know what autotune is lol. That is simpy mixing and remastering the vocals to improve vocals. Autotune is actual pitch correction that usually creates a robotic effect on the vocals. Totally different effects.

He isn't even doing any effect actually... He is simply lip syncing. For all we know it could have been a different guy singing the song on the recorded track.

That is autotune, and that is pitch correction.  ??? What do you think was being corrected, lol. The robotic effects are using autotune in a specific way to get that voice, not all autotune sounds like that. It's a better use of autotune anyway, in my opinion. Better than popularizing talentless hacks :P

http://pa1.narvii.com/5965/fdf1b95c043dbddef88f532b203b90880023d0d8_hq.gif

Written By: Slim95 on 06/28/16 at 6:57 pm

That is autotune, and that is pitch correction.  ??? What do you think was being corrected, lol. The robotic effects are using autotune in a specific way to get that voice, not all autotune sounds like that. It's a better use of autotune anyway, in my opinion. Better than popularizing talentless hacks :P

http://pa1.narvii.com/5965/fdf1b95c043dbddef88f532b203b90880023d0d8_hq.gif

No it actually isn't. He is simply lip syncing over a recorded track which sounds nothing like autotune. Probably another guy singing all together. Autotune usually creates the "T-Pain effect". Simply improving vocals does not necessarily mean autotune is being used.

Written By: 2001 on 06/28/16 at 7:15 pm

No it actually isn't. He is simply lip syncing over a recorded track which sounds nothing like autotune. Probably another guy singing all together. Autotune usually creates the "T-Pain effect". Simply improving vocals does not necessarily mean autotune is being used.

That's not lip syncing, unless lip syncing syncs to your lips and not the other way around lol. The T-Pain effect is one way of using autotune, it's not the main use of autotune, which is to correct off-key notes.

Here's an article I just read about the whole thing

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/27/3964406/seduced-by-perfect-pitch-how-auto-tune-conquered-pop-music

Go down to the "everybody uses it" subheading.

Written By: doublejm1 on 06/28/16 at 9:55 pm

Music in 2006 was very different. We had a lot of catchy pop songs like "Promiscuous" and "Sexy Back" unlike today. Nelly Furtado, Justin Timberlake and Timbaland was all the rage in 2006. Had fun songs, a lot of hip-hop songs too. These days all you hear is trap songs where you can barely understand the words. Rihanna just came into tge spotlight in 2006. Music was a lot better back then.

I agree 100%. What a year it was for those three. They released a slew of catchy songs with addictive beats. I might be wrong, but I don't think Justin Timberlake will ever produce another album as good as FutureSex/LoveSounds.

The same goes for Rihanna. Don de Replay, SOS, Umbrella, Shut up and Drive -- these were all great hits. Chris Brown was also on top of his game at that time. And while many people weren't crazy about T-Pain, I liked several of his songs.

Written By: aja675 on 06/28/16 at 10:26 pm

Back in the day, there were so many negative comments in 2002 that were left on the lyrics of teen pop songs on SongMeanings.

Written By: Zelek2 on 06/28/16 at 10:29 pm

Back in the day, there were so many negative comments in 2002 that were left on the lyrics of teen pop songs on Songmeanings.

That's not much different from today at all, heh.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/29/16 at 6:30 am

Huh? Auto tune has been a household name since it's inception.

It was supposed to be an "independent" label but the way things got for Punk labels after Dookie... Yeah, it was pretty slicked up (looking at you Epitaph!). :P

Mixing and remastering alone won't improve vocals. It can improve the sound quality and presence but the actual performance and notes being hit themselves require a completely different set of tools. That video is clearly poking fun at performers who use auto tune live, though, it's heavily exaggerated. That would never happen to that extent in real life.

That's not lip syncing, unless lip syncing syncs to your lips and not the other way around lol. The T-Pain effect is one way of using autotune, it's not the main use of autotune, which is to correct off-key notes.

Here's an article I just read about the whole thing

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/27/3964406/seduced-by-perfect-pitch-how-auto-tune-conquered-pop-music

Go down to the "everybody uses it" subheading.

This 100%. Auto tune is merely a tool used to polish up a vocal performance. It can be used as an effect but that's not it's intended purpose. Most people can't even hear auto tune and don't realize it's being used.

"Improving vocals" can mean a lot of things but generally, if you're referring to pitch correction, engineers and producers always mean auto tune or some other alternative like Melodyne.

I disagree with this. You absolutely have to be a decent singer with enough control over your voice in order for auto tune to actually work as it's intended. You can't just go into studio, sing completely off key with improper techniques and expect the program to fix everything and make you sound great like so many people think it will do. You have to put the work into to having a good performance by hitting the right notes. Auto tune just cleans it up and brings it to a level of polished perfection that is simply impossible for humans to reach.

Written By: bchris02 on 06/29/16 at 3:54 pm

2006 was probably the worst year for music of the 2000s.  Snap rap pretty much dominated that year.  It was somewhat sandwiched between the core '00s style and the late '00s musically.  The best songs of the year came at the tail-end and were more popular in early 2007 than 2006.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/29/16 at 9:11 pm

2006 was probably the worst year for music of the 2000s.  Snap rap pretty much dominated that year.  It was somewhat sandwiched between the core '00s style and the late '00s musically.  The best songs of the year came at the tail-end and were more popular in early 2007 than 2006.

Yeah, 2006 was a pretty brutal year for music. And this is coming from somebody who was in college at the time, and thus right in the middle of my pop cultural "peak", so to speak.

In addition to rap, rock music was pretty terrible that year, too. I'm a really big fan of '00s rock in general, but '06 had some true duds as hit singles that year, particularly in the Post-Grunge genre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmeUuoxyt_E http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiSfTyrvJlg

And let us not forget that 2006 was also the peak year of Emo's mainstream popularity as well. If anything, 2006 is essentially the "consummate" Emo year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDWgsQhbaqU http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc6vs-l5dkc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ux6SlOE9Qk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ldjbjwim4k

Written By: nintieskid999 on 06/29/16 at 9:53 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiBG6vuLrzY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXDC89tZ4IQ

This was the type of music I was into in 2006

Written By: #Infinity on 06/29/16 at 10:12 pm

There were actually quite a few excellent songs that achieved pretty solid success in 2006, albeit more during the second half. Many of them I didn't discover until only recently, since I wasn't following popular music at the time (I'm pretty sure "Laffy Taffy" making it to #1 was the final straw that caused me to fully avoid present-day pop), but had I been more open-minded at the time, I probably would have enjoyed them a lot. Here are a few songs I really like from 2006:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWaB4PXCwFU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTAAsCNK7RA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yvGCAvOAfM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLolag3YSYU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqds0B_meys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgaeGW-2z6w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQBx4PFfzxk
I absolutely hated this song back when it first came out and pretty much considered it 2006's "Hollaback Girl" at the time, but in retrospect, I absolutely love its dexterously stomping beat and playfully visceral vocal performance by Fergie. It's far better than "Hollaback," which is just dumb and contrived.

Written By: aspireone on 07/11/16 at 12:46 am

Music from now ,2016, is better than music from 2006 imo.

At least now, music tries to be more filled and sound like it's being ambitious (but ends up falling very flat). 2006 on the other felt very empty and boring thanks to the hip-hop/rnb sound back then (I don't hate the genre,it's just that its output from this era is bleh). I've lived that era and I could tell you that back then, the songs would make me sleep.

With that said though, the best songs of 2006 is way better than the best song of 2016 (I'm talking of course of top 100 billboard hits)

Written By: 2001 on 07/11/16 at 11:00 pm

Chart-topping songs from 2016 that I'm liking so far:

Work from Home - Fifth Harmony
Someone Who Can Dance - Icona Pop
This Is What You Came For - Calvin Harris/Rihanna
The Heart Of Me - Miike Snow
One Dance - Drake
Might Not - Belly/The Weekend
Close - Nick Jonas/Tove Lo
Toothbrush - DNCE
Ride - Twenty One Pilots
Cheap Thrills - Sia (the one without Sean Paul)
I Took A Pill In Ibiza - Mike Posner
Middle - DJ Snake
Don't Let Me Down - The Chainsmokers

I learnt to like EDM lol.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/11/16 at 11:04 pm

I don't fit in with this new vibe crowd, the kiddies are listening to these days.  :P

Written By: 2001 on 07/11/16 at 11:11 pm

I don't fit in with this new vibe crowd, the kiddies are listening to these days.  :P

Work from Home is hot.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/11/16 at 11:18 pm

Work from Home is hot.

At first I thought you meant 'working from home is hot', then I noticed it's the name of the band, or whatever.  ;D  ;D

Written By: 2001 on 07/11/16 at 11:28 pm

At first I thought you meant 'working from home is hot', then I noticed it's the name of the band, or whatever.  ;D  ;D

How could you not have heard of the most iconique song of 2016 from the hottest, latest, chart-topping girl group Fifth Harmony?

Written By: 80sfan on 07/11/16 at 11:35 pm

How could you not have heard of the most iconique song of 2016 from the hottest, latest, chart-topping girl group Fifth Harmony?

I'm going to listen to it now.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/11/16 at 11:41 pm

I like the songs you listed, but not the Fifth Harmony one.

Written By: 2001 on 07/12/16 at 11:07 am

I like the songs you listed, but not the Fifth Harmony one.

>:( >:(

Written By: 80sfan on 07/12/16 at 11:46 am

>:( >:(

They were in a construction site!  ;D

I liked the video.

Written By: Howard on 07/12/16 at 2:53 pm

me neither.

Written By: wixness on 07/20/16 at 5:00 am

Yeah, 2006 was a pretty brutal year for music. And this is coming from somebody who was in college at the time, and thus right in the middle of my pop cultural "peak", so to speak.

In addition to rap, rock music was pretty terrible that year, too. I'm a really big fan of '00s rock in general, but '06 had some true duds as hit singles that year, particularly in the Post-Grunge genre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmeUuoxyt_E http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiSfTyrvJlg

And let us not forget that 2006 was also the peak year of Emo's mainstream popularity as well. If anything, 2006 is essentially the "consummate" Emo year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDWgsQhbaqU http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc6vs-l5dkc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ux6SlOE9Qk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ldjbjwim4k

Hey, I liked the last two songs you linked here :( They both happened to be in Saints Row 2

Still, it was nice of VEVO to use that thumbnail for that song by Nickleback.

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 07/21/16 at 5:20 am

As someone who remembers the '00s, I disagree. I have never liked pop music. By 2006, the Eminem invasion had been over for 3 years and it was just all pop rap on the radio, no hardcore word play or lyricism. the only time I bothered listening to the radio was between 2000-2004 because there was a chance that there would be some decent rap on it and it was before I had internet access.

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/21/16 at 7:19 am

Never cared much for rap music. In 2006 I didn't like it. And in 2016 I still can't seem to enjoy it. They just don't have that catchy vibe that would bring up the moods for me.

Now mid 2000s Funky House is something I can listen to forever.  8)
0zC4WvuIuIU

Forever great stuff. Just a few seconds into the vid and you hear this great piano sounding piece. And then all the rhythm just flows in.

Funky House was at its most popular in the Early-Mid 2000s (2000-2006), but for some reason it seemed to have faded off. Now Deep House seems to be the big thing in the mid 2010s, but I don't like the sound of Deep House very much. But that's just me. It started getting popular by the end of the mid 2000s which leads me to believe to it's the reason Funky House disappeared.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 09/14/16 at 5:10 am

Just to compare, here are the top 10 songs of this week in 2016

1. Closer - The Chainsmokers and Halsey
PT2_F-1esPk

2. Heathens - Twenty One Pilots
UprcpdwuwCg

3. Cold Water - Major Lazer, Justin Bieber and MØ
a59gmGkq_pw

4. Cheap Thrills - Sia and Sean Paul
nYh-n7EOtMA

5. Don't Let Me Down - The Chainsmokers and Daya
Io0fBr1XBUA

6. Ride - Twenty One Pilots
Pw-0pbY9JeU

7. This Is What You Came For - Calvin Harris and Rihanna
kOkQ4T5WO9E

8. Send My Love (To Your New Lover) - Adele
fk4BbF7B29w

9. Needed Me - Rihanna
gTsMNNIrMNY

10. We Don't Talk Anymore - Charlie Puth and Selena Gomez
3AtDnEC4zak

Here are the top 10 songs of this week in 2006

1. SexyBack - Justin Timberlake and Timbaland
FdSRfdu_dLU

2. London Bridge - Fergie
WD33ii01kXI

3. Buttons - The Pussycat Dolls and Snoop Dogg
VCLxJd1d84s

4. Crazy - Gnarls Barkley
bd2B6SjMh_w

5. Give It Up To Me - Sean Paul and Keyshia Cole
N9djIgkO3v8

6. Chasing Cars - Snow Patrol
GemKqzILV4w

7. Sexy Love - Ne-Yo
mgaeGW-2z6w

8. Far Away - Nickelback
j4y-RzVGrHg

9. Lips of an Angel - Hinder
RiSfTyrvJlg

10. Promiscuous - Nelly Furtado and Timbaland
0J3vgcE5i2o

Written By: 2001 on 09/14/16 at 8:56 am

1. Closer - The Chainsmokers and Halsey - 7/10
2. Heathens - Twenty One Pilots - 7/10
3. Cold Water - Major Lazer, Justin Bieber and MØ - 9/10
4. Cheap Thrills - Sia WITHOUT Sean Paul - 10/10
5. Don't Let Me Down - The Chainsmokers and Daya - 9/10
6. Ride - Twenty One Pilots - 9/10
7. This Is What You Came For - Calvin Harris and Rihanna - 8/10 (really overplayed though)
8. Send My Love (To Your New Lover) - Adele - 8/10
9. Needed Me - Rihanna - 4/10
10. We Don't Talk Anymore - Charlie Puth and Selena Gomez - 4/10

Total: 77/100

1. SexyBack - Justin Timberlake and Timbaland - 9/10
2. London Bridge - Fernie - 2/10
3. Buttons - The Pussycat Dolls and Snoop Dogg - 3/10 (could've sworn this was 2005 though)
4. Crazy - Gnarls Barkley - 7/10
5. Give It Up To Me - Sean Paul and Keyshia Cole - 4/10
6. Chasing Cars - Snow Patrol - 9/10
7. Sexy Love - Ne-Yo - 7/10
8. Far Away - Nickelback - 5/10
9. Lips of an Angel - Hinder - 7/10
10. Promiscuous - Nelly Furtado and Timbaland - 4/10

Total: 54/100

In my opinion, of course.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/14/16 at 10:51 am

1. Closer - The Chainsmokers and Halsey - 3/10
2. Heathens - Twenty One Pilots - 5/10
3. Cold Water - Major Lazer, Justin Bieber, and M0 - 4/10
4. Cheap Thrills - Sia - 2/10
5. Don't Let Me Down - The Chainsmokers - 4/10
6. Ride - Twenty One Pilots - 4/10
This Is What You Came For - Calvin Harris - 3/10
8. Send My Love (To Your New Lover) - Adele - 6/10
9. Needed Me - Rihanna - 3/10
10. We Don't Talk Anymore - Charlie Puth - 3/10

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 09/14/16 at 1:20 pm

1. Closer - The Chainsmokers, Halsey - 4/10 (I don't find it to be terrible, but it is boring and generic to me)
2. Heathens - Twenty One Pilots - 6/10 (It's decent, my sister plays it a lot though, but that goes for anything 21 P)
3. Cold Water - Major Lazer, Justin Bieber, MØ - 5/10
4. Cheap Thrills - Sia, Sean Paul - 9/10 (Sean Paul knocks this down a point ;D)
5. Don't Let Me Down - The Chainsmokers, Daya - 4/10 (I used to like this song, but it has been way overplayed)
6. Ride - Twenty One Pilots - 7/10
7. This Is What You Came For - Calvin Harris, Rihanna - 8/10 (Is overplayed, but I do still like this song)
8. Send My Love (To Your New Lover) - Adele - 5/10 (It's okay, has a unique chorus)
9. Needed Me - Rihanna - 3/10 (I really don't like this, I prefer Rihanna's older music personally)
10. We Don't Talk Anymore - Charlie Puth, Selena Gomez - 3/10

I'll be back later and put the 2006 list, but I have to go right now.

Written By: 2001 on 09/14/16 at 6:37 pm

1. Closer - The Chainsmokers, Halsey - 4/10 (I don't find it to be terrible, but it is boring and generic to me)
2. Heathens - Twenty One Pilots - 6/10 (It's decent, my sister plays it a lot though, but that goes for anything 21 P)
3. Cold Water - Major Lazer, Justin Bieber, MØ - 5/10
4. Cheap Thrills - Sia, Sean Paul - 9/10 (Sean Paul knocks this down a point ;D)
5. Don't Let Me Down - The Chainsmokers, Daya - 4/10 (I used to like this song, but it has been way overplayed)
6. Ride - Twenty One Pilots - 7/10
7. This Is What You Came For - Calvin Harris, Rihanna - 8/10 (Is overplayed, but I do still like this song)
8. Send My Love (To Your New Lover) - Adele - 5/10 (It's okay, has a unique chorus)
9. Needed Me - Rihanna - 3/10 (I really don't like this, I prefer Rihanna's older music personally)
10. We Don't Talk Anymore - Charlie Puth, Selena Gomez - 3/10

I'll be back later and put the 2006 list, but I have to go right now.

No one still has any idea what Sean Paul is doing in Cheap Thrills  :o

I can't get tired of Don't Let Me Down  ;D

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 09/14/16 at 7:25 pm

No one still has any idea what Sean Paul is doing in Cheap Thrills  :o

I can't get tired of Don't Let Me Down  ;D

Yeah, it was so random when she made the version with him, and how can you stand that song now, I can't think of anyone who doesn't think it's overplayed, and has overstayed its welcome, my dad still loves it though. ;D

Now, here is the next list.

1. SexyBack - Justin Timberlake and Timbaland - 8/10 (still hear it on the radio at least once a week or two)
2. London Bridge - Fergie - 3/10 (I play it sometimes as a joke)
3. Buttons - The Pussycat Dolls and Snoop Dogg - 3/10 (first time hearing this, but I don't like it)
4. Crazy - Gnarls Barkley - 9/10 (I've really grown to like this over the years)
5. Give It Up To Me - Sean Paul and Keyshia Cole - 5/10 (never heard this song either, it's meh)
7. Sexy Love - Ne-Yo - 9/10 (I'm a big fan of Ne-Yo's music, and really like this song)
8. Far Away - Nickelback - 6/10 (I used to really like Nickelback around 2006 to 2008)
9. Lips of an Angel - Hinder - 8/10 (guilty pleasure song ;D)
10. Promiscuous - Nelly Furtado and Timbaland - 8/10

I edited it a bit, because I just made up my mind, I think.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/14/16 at 7:52 pm

Sexyback is so catchy even to this day!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/14/16 at 8:11 pm

1. Sexyback - Justin Timberlake - 10/10
2. Fergie - London Bridge - 6/10
3. Buttons - Pussycat Dolls ft. Snoop Dogg - 9/10
4. Crazy - Gnarls Barkley - 10/10
5. Give It Up To Me - Sean Paul - 4/10
6. Chasing Cars - Snow Patrol - 6/10
8. Far Away - Nickelback - 9/10
9. Lips of an Angel - Hinder - 8/10
10. Promiscuous - Nelly Furtado and Timbaland - 10/10

Written By: 2001 on 09/14/16 at 9:37 pm

Yeah, it was so random when she made the version with him, and how can you stand that song now, I can't think of anyone who doesn't think it's overplayed, and has overstayed its welcome, my dad still loves it though. ;D

Now, here is the next list.

1. SexyBack - Justin Timberlake and Timbaland - 8/10 (still hear it on the radio at least once a week or two)
2. London Bridge - Fergie - 3/10 (I play it sometimes as a joke)
3. Buttons - The Pussycat Dolls and Snoop Dogg - 3/10 (first time hearing this, but I don't like it)
4. Crazy - Gnarls Barkley - 9/10 (I've really grown to like this over the years)
5. Give It Up To Me - Sean Paul and Keyshia Cole - 5/10 (never heard this song either, it's meh)
7. Sexy Love - Ne-Yo - 9/10 (I'm a big fan of Ne-Yo's music, and really like this song)
8. Far Away - Nickelback - 6/10 (I used to really like Nickelback around 2006 to 2008)
9. Lips of an Angel - Hinder - 8/10 (guilty pleasure song ;D)
10. Promiscuous - Nelly Furtado and Timbaland - 8/10

I edited it a bit, because I just made up my mind, I think.

Sexyback is so catchy even to this day!

Sexyback is a pop classic!

And London Bridge is also a pop classic, of the infamous variety  8-P

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 09/14/16 at 9:39 pm

1. Sexyback - Justin Timberlake - 10/10
2. Fergie - London Bridge - 6/10
3. Buttons - Pussycat Dolls ft. Snoop Dogg - 9/10
4. Crazy - Gnarls Barkley - 10/10
5. Give It Up To Me - Sean Paul - 4/10
6. Chasing Cars - Snow Patrol - 6/10
8. Far Away - Nickelback - 9/10
9. Lips of an Angel - Hinder - 8/10
10. Promiscuous - Nelly Furtado and Timbaland - 10/10

Man, you must really hate 2010s (or at least that's how I'm perceiving it) music (or maybe 2016). ;D I'll admit I prefer 2000s music much more as well, but I think there is a decent amount of good music today.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/15/16 at 10:37 am

Man, you must really hate 2010s (or at least that's how I'm perceiving it) music (or maybe 2016). ;D I'll admit I prefer 2000s music much more as well, but I think there is a decent amount of good music today.

There are a few songs that I like from this decade. It's just that most of these 2010s songs aren't my cup of tea.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 09/15/16 at 11:53 am

There are a few songs that I like from this decade. It's just that most of these 2010s songs aren't my cup of tea.

Yeah, I guess that's understandable. Out of curiosity, what is a song(s) you like from this decade?

Written By: wixness on 09/15/16 at 2:03 pm

Same.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/15/16 at 2:20 pm

Yeah, I guess that's understandable. Out of curiosity, what is a song(s) you like from this decade?

One song that I like is Sorry by Justin Bieber. There isn't a lot of songs that I like from this decade, since they're like a hit or miss to me. If it was in the 80s-2000s, then I would like most of them.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 09/15/16 at 2:59 pm

One song that I like is Sorry by Justin Bieber. There isn't a lot of songs that I like from this decade, since they're like a hit or miss to me. If it was in the 80s-2000s, then I would like most of them.

Yeah, I know what you mean, and I like Sorry as well. Yeah, I like songs from whenever, from the Big Band of the late 30s to the mid 40s to the electro pop music of the late 00s to the early 2010s. I think I've mentioned this before, but 2000s music is the one that gets me most nostalgic, it being my childhood and all. ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/15/16 at 3:21 pm

Yeah, I know what you mean, and I like Sorry as well. Yeah, I like songs from whenever, from the Big Band of the late 30s to the mid 40s to the electro pop music of the late 00s to the early 2010s. I think I've mentioned this before, but 2000s music is the one that gets me most nostalgic, it being my childhood and all. ;D

2000s music also gets me nostalgic, since I grew up around it.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/15/16 at 3:32 pm

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I prefer music in 2016 to music in 2006.  :P

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 09/15/16 at 3:35 pm

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I prefer music in 2016 to music in 2006.  :P

Understandable, everyone has different tastes, and I do like a lot of music from 2016.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/15/16 at 4:01 pm

Early 2010s music (2010 - 2012) is absolutely the worst era for popular music in history. I hated it it so much. It was garbage.  8-P There are a couple songs from the mid 2010s I enjoy. Overall, I prefer music from the 2000s but a lot of good songs have come out from my favourite underground rappers in the 10s too.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/15/16 at 4:03 pm

Understandable, everyone has different tastes, and I do like a lot of music from 2016.

Mainstream-wise, for me, the worst ever was 2007 to 2009, all equally.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 09/15/16 at 4:11 pm

Mainstream-wise, for me, the worst ever was 2007 to 2009, all equally.

I like mainstream music from 2007 to 2009, ;D since I was age 8 to 10 throughout that time, it brings back memories. I like songs such as Makes Me Wonder, Paralyzer, Because of You, No Air, Take A Bow, Blame It (On the Alcohol), and so many other songs. I don't know why I like all of these, but I do. ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 09/15/16 at 4:17 pm

I like mainstream music from 2007 to 2009, ;D since I was age 8 to 10 throughout that time, it brings back memories. I like songs such as Makes Me Wonder, Paralyzer, Because of You, No Air, Take A Bow, Blame It (On the Alcohol), and so many other songs. I don't know why I like all of these, but I do. ;D

2007 was a fun year for me, though.

Written By: 2001 on 09/15/16 at 4:39 pm

2007 was a fun year for me, though.

What about 2008 when you were laughing at the rest of us in panic  :-X :-X

I disliked the pop music of 2004 to 2008. Thankfully YouTube, iPods and Limewire came at the perfect time,  there are a lot of non mainstream and foreign language songs I liked from those years that I can get nostalgic for.  :D

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 09/15/16 at 4:43 pm

What about 2008 when you were laughing at the rest of us in panic  :-X :-X

I disliked the pop music of 2004 to 2008. Thankfully YouTube, iPods and Limewire came at the perfect time,  there are a lot of non mainstream and foreign language songs I liked from those years that I can get nostalgic for.  :D

Just curious, what are some of those songs, I always try to find new music, and that sounds kind of interesting. ;D

Written By: 2001 on 09/15/16 at 6:29 pm

Just curious, what are some of those songs, I always try to find new music, and that sounds kind of interesting. ;D

Haha, so hard to be brief with this  ;D

Scandinavian metal

These guys won Eurovision in 2006. We were forced to watch it in Grade 8 music class. It was extremely boring, up until Finland came on, then they really stole the crowd!

gAh9NRGNhUU

Japanese Rock

The first Japanese rock song I got into was the Dragon Ball GT theme song, which came on in Japanese for the first few episodes here in Canada in 2003. But this song, which I was introduced to in Grade 8 when my friend tried to teach me how to do pen spinning tricks is when I really got obsessed  ;D

ik1NDo24mG0

Korean Pop

This one is embarrassing, I don't even want to subjugate you to it.  :-IbLh4i40I4E

French music

French was my strongest subject in high school. It was just plain easy. I'd read French websites and go on French youtube just for fun, and this is one of the first songs I remember being introduced to in 2008.

vs-hW-SeROc

Hey, now I speak French somewhat decently (going to Montréal this weekend!), and I still listen to it even in 2016, it's the only one that's persisted  ;D

This was my favourite album from last year!

gNQNUwIvjq0

English nonmainstream

I pretty much continued to listen to rock, metal and just anything not pop or rap for pretty much the entire decade. Nothing much to say here.

QgNlEHnLVaY

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/15/16 at 9:29 pm

Haha, so hard to be brief with this  ;D

Scandinavian metal

These guys won Eurovision in 2006. We were forced to watch it in Grade 8 music class. It was extremely boring, up until Finland came on, then they really stole the crowd!

gAh9NRGNhUU

Japanese Rock

The first Japanese rock song I got into was the Dragon Ball GT theme song, which came on in Japanese for the first few episodes here in Canada in 2003. But this song, which I was introduced to in Grade 8 when my friend tried to teach me how to do pen spinning tricks is when I really got obsessed  ;D

ik1NDo24mG0

Korean Pop

This one is embarrassing, I don't even want to subjugate you to it.  :-IbLh4i40I4E

French music

French was my strongest subject in high school. It was just plain easy. I'd read French websites and go on French youtube just for fun, and this is one of the first songs I remember being introduced to in 2008.

vs-hW-SeROc

Hey, now I speak French somewhat decently (going to Montréal this weekend!), and I still listen to it even in 2016, it's the only one that's persisted  ;D

This was my favourite album from last year!

gNQNUwIvjq0

English nonmainstream

I pretty much continued to listen to rock, metal and just anything not pop or rap for pretty much the entire decade. Nothing much to say here.

QgNlEHnLVaY

Lorri doing the right pop thing?

http://im.mtv.fi/image/1196458/landscape16_9/240/135/77cf1bc62a28b73496b8d5667fdd1572/up/379603.jpg

Written By: musicguy93 on 09/15/16 at 10:31 pm

I'll admit that I'm not too fond of popular music from 2006, for the most part. Still there was stuff for me to enjoy that year, even if it was very limited. As for 2016, there is literally nothing I enjoy this year. The only type of music that I currently listen to are from older bands that still release good stuff, or from newer underground bands. However, as of now at, the mainstream is dead to me.

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 09/21/16 at 3:44 am

To me it's just the same nonsense. I like hardcore hip-hop, which would be just as out of place on the radio back then as now.

I could care less about some idiot singing about how he's bringing "sexy back" (whatever that means) or Rihanna singing her stuff. Yes I do remember that era and I didn't realise it was 10 years ago but the only reason I would listen to those sings is for nostalgia and to try to transport myself back to that era.

Written By: tv on 10/01/16 at 6:35 pm

That stuff was horrible but I don't remember Young Joc's music that well though.

Written By: 2001 on 10/01/16 at 6:48 pm

That stuff was horrible but I don't remember Young Joc's music that well though.

Count yourself lucky. That music was inescapable in the hallways. If it wasn't their ringtone, they were blasting it from their phones for no reason anyway.  ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/01/16 at 6:54 pm

Count yourself lucky. That music was inescapable in the hallways. If it wasn't their ringtone, they were blasting it from their phones for no reason anyway.  ;D

At least it makes sense compared to today's hip hop.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/01/16 at 7:00 pm

Speaking of 2006, they were playing sexy back at my work today and now I have that song stuck in my head!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/01/16 at 7:03 pm

Speaking of 2006, they were playing sexy back at my work today and now I have that song stuck in my head!

Whenever I think about that song, I always think of 2007. It might've been more popular around 2007 or something like that. Especially when I was really into that song around 2007/2008.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/01/16 at 7:06 pm

Whenever I think about that song, I always think of 2007. It might've been more popular around 2007 or something like that. Especially when I was really into that song around 2007/2008.

No the song was released July 2006 and peaked in 2006 as well. So it's definitely a 2006 song. It was already losing popularity and going down in the charts by the time 2007 hit. It was a late summer 2006 song then it peaked in fall 2006. So yeah it's 2006 not 2007.

Written By: tv on 10/01/16 at 7:07 pm

Well I graduated HS in 1998 so I could escape music I didn't like by flipping the radio station.

Written By: nally on 10/01/16 at 7:11 pm

Well I graduated HS in 1998 so I could escape music I didn't like by flipping the radio station.

Same with me!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/01/16 at 7:13 pm

No the song was released July 2006 and peaked in 2006 as well. So it's definitely a 2006 song. It was already losing popularity and going down in the charts by the time 2007 hit. It was like a late summer 2006 song and peaked in the Fall of 2006. So yeah it's 2006 not 2007.

But it was also popular towards YouTube AMVs throughout the late 2000s. But I guess it was one of those late 2006/early 2007 songs.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/01/16 at 7:18 pm

But it was also popular towards YouTube AMVs throughout the late 2000s. But I guess it was one of those late 2006/early 2007 songs.

It really wasn't though. The song peaked in 2006 and people forgot about it and moved on to other things in 2007. It was most definitely a late summer 2006 song. I mean just look at the charts... Number 9 on Billboard Hot 100 2006 and all the way down to number 63 in Billboard Hot 100 2007.

http://www.billboard.com/charts/year-end/2006/hot-100-songs

http://www.billboard.com/charts/year-end/2007/hot-100-songs

Justin Timberlake may have released other songs in 2007, but Sexy Back was from 2006, not 07',

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/01/16 at 7:28 pm

It really wasn't though. The song peaked in 2006 and people forgot about it and moved on to other things in 2007. It was most definitely a late summer 2006 song. I mean just look at the charts... Number 9 on Billboard Hot 100 2006 and all the way down to number 63 in Billboard Hot 100 2007.

http://www.billboard.com/charts/year-end/2006/hot-100-songs

http://www.billboard.com/charts/year-end/2007/hot-100-songs

Justin Timberlake may have released other songs in 2007, but Sexy Back was from 2006, not 07',

Yeah, but I was just saying that I heard the song IN 2007. I always think of it as a 2007 song, not for the fact that it was on the Billboard Top 100 in 2006.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/01/16 at 7:31 pm

Yeah, but I was just saying that I heard the song IN 2007. I always think of it as a 2007 song, not for the fact that it was on the Billboard Top 100 in 2006.

Alright but most people heard it everywhere in 2006 and got sick of it when Christmas 2006 came.  ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/01/16 at 7:35 pm

Alright but most people heard it everywhere in 2006 and got sick of it when Christmas 2006 came.  ;D

Maybe I didn't hear it that much, since it's not like a lot of younger 2000s kids (those born in 1998-2002) would care about the song. Although, I was really into a lot of 2000s songs around late 2006-2009.

Written By: Shemp97 on 10/19/16 at 12:14 am

This, I remember the multiple sub-genres upon genres of Hiphop, rock, R&B, pop, dancehall, even country. Music was very experimental and especially in the latter part of the 00's dawned a more down to earth approach.

Written By: Shemp97 on 10/19/16 at 12:43 am

Yeah all of them. They're pretty much the reason why Rap was in a dark age during that timeframe. Yeah, there were non-snap rap songs which were miles better than those ones, but the sub-genre was everywhere so much that it was almost difficult to avoid.
I agree. That song could have came out earlier from the way it sounds.

Rap was beginning to enter a  new golden age of Alternative Rap when Gnarles Barkley, Lupe fiasco, K-os and Kanye West started dominating the charts with more down to earth hiphop and rap. By 2009 it was listenable again.

Fifth Harmony?

You mean Pussycat dolls rebranded?

French music

vs-hW-SeROc

Glad to see someone else who grew up on some of Zaho's music. She's one of my favourite French artists and made some great music.  La Roue Tourne, Ces't Chelou and Kifndir are my favourites. My older sister who was practising French in High school in the late 00's introduced me to her and Stromae. Being a bilingual country, I wish English radio stations around here would play more Quebec/french music, it would help bridge divides and provide an alternative feed to the typical Hollywood drivel.

Written By: XYkid on 10/25/16 at 4:38 pm

According To You is very guitar driven, I don't think I hear anything new on the radio with electric guitars anymore.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/25/16 at 5:05 pm

According To You is very guitar driven, I don't think I hear anything new on the radio with electric guitars anymore.

I don't think music with electric guitars are mainstream towards people nowadays. I have no idea why that happened, especially with the decline of rock in this decade.

Written By: XYkid on 10/25/16 at 5:08 pm

I don't think music with electric guitars are mainstream towards people nowadays. I have no idea why that happened, especially with the decline of rock in this decade.
Because all instruments can be replicated through electronics now. It's what really sets this decade apart from the previous ones.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/25/16 at 5:12 pm

Because all instruments can be replicated through electronics now. It's what really sets this decade apart from the previous ones.

I think it has to deal with how we connect towards electronics everywhere. Especially with how advanced they are.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/25/16 at 5:43 pm

Yeah even actual rock bands such as Marianas Trench and Hedley are using electronic sounds now rather than real instruments like they used to.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/25/16 at 5:52 pm

Yeah even actual rock bands such as Marianas Trench and Hedley are using electronic sounds now rather than real instruments like they used to.

It makes me wonder why they do that in the first place?

Written By: Slim95 on 10/25/16 at 6:07 pm

It makes me wonder why they do that in the first place?

Probably because they wanna sound more mainstream and make more money.

Written By: musicguy93 on 10/25/16 at 9:00 pm

Yeah, but it usually sounds like overproduced, artificial crap. Computers are not able to replicate the rawness of real instruments.

Written By: musicguy93 on 10/25/16 at 9:01 pm

This is why I stick with either older bands or underground bands.

Written By: aja675 on 10/25/16 at 9:46 pm

That song sparked a flame war on one of my threads on March this year.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/25/16 at 9:47 pm

Yeah, but it usually sounds like overproduced, artificial crap. Computers are not able to replicate the rawness of real instruments.

Well, most of them were created with audio software, so it's not that hard to notice if they were made on computers.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/25/16 at 11:35 pm

Both years suck. But 2006 is just plain bad to me!  8-P

Written By: aja675 on 10/25/16 at 11:53 pm

Someone was surprised that the people I was ranting about and dedicating that song to, called me an insult that was usually reserved for females.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/25/16 at 11:57 pm

Was I involved in that thread?

Written By: 80sfan on 10/26/16 at 1:40 pm

I hope 2006 is better than 2016.  :-X

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/26/16 at 3:01 pm

I think some people would agree with you on that already.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/26/16 at 3:06 pm

I think some people would agree with you on that already.

The fizzle pop sounds of the 00s are more innocent than today's music.

Written By: aja675 on 10/27/16 at 4:29 am

Was I involved in that thread?

You weren't there.

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/29/16 at 10:45 am

Actually my 2016 playlist has about 50 songs, while 2006 only had 15 (and the first 4 or 5 of those were 2005 holdovers). I really didn't care for the music of 2006.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/29/16 at 11:59 am

Actually my 2016 playlist has about 50 songs, while 2006 only had 15 (and the first 4 or 5 of those were 2005 holdovers). I really didn't care for the music of 2006.

Same with me. Usually, I would listen to songs from 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2007. There would be a few songs that I would like to listen to from 2006 and 2008, but not a lot if you ask me.

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/30/16 at 1:13 pm

2006 was just bland all around. 2016 isn't bland, but it's not my cup of tea either. Strange as before 2016 was looking to be pretty cool (back in 2015 anyways), but a lot of the things I'm excited for ended up getting pushed in 2017 or later.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/30/16 at 1:16 pm

I knew 2016 would be a boring year because a lot of changes happened in 2015, especially here in Canada. 2015 was actually a very interesting and eventful year now that I look back at it. I'll look back at all the stuff that happened that year and probably get nostalgic in the future.

Written By: tv on 10/31/16 at 12:46 am

Both years suck. But 2006 is just plain bad to me!  8-P
Well 2006 up to that point was the dullest music year since maybe 1990. 1999-2000 weren't that good either with Teen-Pop.

Written By: tv on 10/31/16 at 12:52 am

People complaining about Computers Beats used in music in 2016 could replicate the complaint that music from the 1980's relied alot on synthesized production mainly in the 1983-1987 period.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/31/16 at 5:50 am

People complaining about Computers Beats used in music in 2016 could replicate the complaint that music from the 1980's relied alot on synthesized production mainly in the 1983-1987 period.

At least they were using instruments at the time, which didn't have to deal with modern software. Sure, it could be computerized, but you had to play the notes physically with your fingers.

Written By: Looney Toon on 11/01/16 at 11:34 am

At least they were using instruments at the time, which didn't have to deal with modern software. Sure, it could be computerized, but you had to play the notes physically with your fingers.

Whether you had to play with your fingers or not doesn't matter in the end. You still heard digital beats beats whether it was from a computer or a synthesizer. Although as much as I don't like 2016 music I will admit that that the digitized beats sound closer to real instruments. In the 1980s it was very easy to notice a digitized beat as it didn't sound any close to real instruments (in my own opinion anyways).

In 2006 while it was a dull year for music I remember it being a bit of a blend of the two. Still had a lot of bands who'd use real instruments along with digitized beats. It was an interesting mix. It was like this from the 1980s up to the 2000s.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/01/16 at 11:44 am

Whether you had to play with your fingers or not doesn't matter in the end. You still heard digital beats beats whether it was from a computer or a synthesizer. Although as much as I don't like 2016 music I will admit that that the digitized beats sound closer to real instruments. In the 1980s it was very easy to notice a digitized beat as it didn't sound any close to real instruments (in my own opinion anyways).

In 2006 while it was a dull year for music I remember it being a bit of a blend of the two. Still had a lot of bands who'd use real instruments along with digitized beats. It was an interesting mix. It was like this from the 1980s up to the 2000s.

Music from the 1980s is much better than today.

Written By: #Infinity on 11/01/16 at 1:21 pm

I really gotta say I'm pissed that Lady Gaga's new album went absolutely nowhere, while stale, generic acts like Ariana Grande and the Chainsmokers are STILL eating up the charts. Is the world's musical scope really that narrow? If Madonna's period of success could span from 1984 all the way to 2012, then why can't Gaga at least perform respectably, especially since her new album is a solid return to form after the strange and alienating Artpop?

2016 sucks. It just keeps teasing us with promises of a more colorful future, only for the painful status quo to solidly persist. As if I wasn't already stacked with devastating letdowns from my personal life.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 11/01/16 at 1:28 pm

I wouldn't say 80s pop (a lot of it) music isn't though, the 80s have a lot of good music, but me personally, I believe the pop was way too similar back then even compared to 2016. To each his own though.

I really gotta say I'm pissed that Lady Gaga's new album went absolutely nowhere, while stale, generic acts like Ariana Grande and the Chainsmokers are STILL eating up the charts. Is the world's musical scope really that narrow? If Madonna's period of success could span from 1983 all the way to 2012, then why can't Gaga at least perform respectably, especially since her new album is a solid return to form after the strange and alienating Artpop?

2016 sucks. It just keeps teasing us with promises of a more colorful future, only for the painful status quo to completely persist.

Lady Gaga's album just got number 1 on the Billboard hot 200 being the fourth largest debut of 2016 after Drake's Views, Beyoncé's Lemonade, and Frank Ocean's Blonde. Although she doesn't have any radio hits from this album, three of her songs are on the top 100 right now.

I will say I'm tired of The Chainsmokers' Closer being number 1 though.

Written By: #Infinity on 11/01/16 at 1:44 pm

I wouldn't say 80s pop (a lot of it) music isn't though, the 80s have a lot of good music, but me personally, I believe the pop was way too similar back then even compared to 2016. To each his own though.

What separates the 1980s most from 2016 is the compositional originality. There's far more musical depth and direction to something like "Heaven Ia a Place on Earth" and "Borderline" than "Work" or "Dangerous Woman." Even then, the 80s had far more of a range of genera than now, from rock, to synthpop, to post-disco, to hip hop, to jangle pop, and so on. 2016, on the other hand, is about as diverse as the early 60s were.

Lady Gaga's album just got number 1 on the Billboard hot 200 being the fourth largest debut of 2016 after Drake's Views, Beyoncé's Lemonade, and Frank Ocean's Blonde. Although she doesn't have any radio hits from this album, three of her songs are on the top 100 right now.

These days, it's not uncommon for has-beens to release a new album that tops the chart but then gets completely forgotten immediately afterwards. The exact same thing happaned to blink-182, and not only do they not have Tom DeLonge anymore, they're from a genre that disappeared from the mainstream after early 2010. Gaga, at the very least, should be able to score hit songs, being a pop singer. Even Artpop has already far outperformed Joanne in terms of hit singles, thanks to "Applause." "Perfect Illusion," on the other hand, tumbled off the charts faster than an American Idol finalist single.

I will say I'm tired of The Chainsmokers' Closer being number 1 though.

Honestly! It's as bad as that atrocious song "Work" being at #1 for such a ridiculously long time.

Written By: Looney Toon on 11/01/16 at 2:41 pm

Not sure where I stated that 1980s music was bad or worse than 2016.  ???  But I do agree. I mainly like how 1980s songs had more upbeat or fun vibes to them. Nowadays it's all  bad/wonky lyrics with choppy beats. Frustrating as you'd think that we'd wouldn't end up in a situation like this.

Written By: Howard on 11/01/16 at 3:05 pm

I agree.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/01/16 at 8:42 pm

The music industry has been going down, slowly, since the early 00's.

Written By: musicguy93 on 11/05/16 at 12:30 pm

I actually disagree. Back in the 80s, those digital beats created it's own aesthetic that in it's own way seemed organic, and it was often accompanied by organic instruments as well. In the 2010s however, digital beats sound over-polished and overproduced, which makes it seem much more artificial and computerized (at least to my ears).

Written By: Howard on 11/05/16 at 1:31 pm

The music industry has been going down, slowly, since the early 00's.

I agree, there are hardly anymore real instruments these days.

Written By: 2001 on 11/06/16 at 5:59 pm

You saw hope in the hopeless!

edit: oh wait that song's from 2009. Now that was a good year.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/06/16 at 6:15 pm

I agree, there are hardly anymore real instruments these days.

Like the flute?

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKshQ8FZE6tpgNOLKnddhOTFO0q5Ml-q_8MNIND-Py0wzNLk34IQ

Check for new replies or respond here...