inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone else not care about their teen / high school years?

Written By: 2001 on 07/13/16 at 10:57 am

Probably a strange thing to be asking on a nostalgia forum, but here it goes. I always see people here defining themselves by what trends were popular when they were in high school, what kind of music they had, what the technology was like, what the kids were into etc. and how this graduating class was different from this graduating class, or how 90s teens are different from 2000s teens etc.

But for me, those entire years were a very "meh" and detached period in my life. Before I joined this forum, it would take me a good 5-10 seconds to recall what year I graduated in. Other than video games, I wasn't really up-to-date on most pop culture. I had a few Japanese rock, Euro-metal and a couple of recent rock songs YouTube rotation, and I'd call it a day. My 15 year old self and current 23 year old self wouldn't have much in common at all. I wasn't chasing the latest Soulja Boy ringtone or quoting the line from 300 for the millionth time like some, and even if I were, I'd find it difficult to stay so hung up on that period and define it as "my time".

Anyone else feel this way? That your teens years were far, far away from being the period in your life when you were most immersed in pop culture? ;D

Better yet, is there anyone else who just didn't care about high school? I even debated with my parents on whether I should attend my graduating ceremony. The gown was almost unaffordable, and everyone finishes high school anyway, it's not even special, it's whatever ;D I went in the end, but as soon as it was over, I wanted to forget about high school completely. My university years were much more amazing and life defining.

Subject: Re: Anyone else not care about their teen / high school years?

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/13/16 at 11:26 am

I can say during those years I cared more about staying young. I basically didn't notice pop culture then compared to my aging. When I look back, I wish I were through since pop culture at that time is more of my taste. Glad I became fully aware by the early 2010s since those were the last bits.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/13/16 at 12:43 pm

I honestly don't care a lot about my high school years. Even if I'm still a high school student, I honestly wouldn't think it's as memorable as my elementary school years. Hell, even as a kid, I became more up-to-date with pop culture than myself nowadays. I just keep on going to this site since last year, because of how I was really nostalgic for my childhood at the time. Even today, it just seems like I could barely give a crap about what's modern nowadays. Especially when I'm using my iPhone, which always feel unnecessary to use in my opinion.

Written By: violet_shy on 07/13/16 at 1:39 pm

When I was in high school I was such a brat :P. But deep inside I was kind. :) I loved middle school(Jr. High), but I didn't care much for high school even though I knew I had to attend or else :o. These days I don't remember my high school years as fondly as I do my middle school years. On occasion though I do like to reminisce about high school and sometimes argue with my 16 year old self, "why didn't you do this, why couldn't you do that!" 

Written By: 2001 on 07/13/16 at 2:14 pm

I can say during those years I cared more about staying young. I basically didn't notice pop culture then compared to my aging. When I look back, I wish I were through since pop culture at that time is more of my taste. Glad I became fully aware by the early 2010s since those were the last bits.

That's interesting. Did you specifically head back to that music because it would help you "relive" your teenage years? Or did you find out about later, which helped you create a fondness for the era from when you were a teen?

I honestly don't care a lot about my high school years. Even if I'm still a high school student, I honestly wouldn't think it's as memorable as my elementary school years. Hell, even as a kid, I became more up-to-date with pop culture than myself nowadays. I just keep on going to this site since last year, because of how I was really nostalgic for my childhood at the time. Even today, it just seems like I could barely give a crap about what's modern nowadays. Especially when I'm using my iPhone, which always feel unnecessary to use in my opinion.

That's so true in a way. I identify with the bands that were popular when I was in Grades 5 to 7 (Avril Lavigne, Sum 41, Simple Plan, Blink-182, Green Day etc.) even though I was on the periphery of their target audience at best. Them being the very first bands I got into does actually make them a huge part of my life. In contrast, the bands that were popular when I was Grades 9 to 11 were very disposable. Once they went past their peak popularity, I never heard from them again and didn't care to follow up on them. It's just hard for me to care.

When I was in high school I was such a brat :P. But deep inside I was kind. :) I loved middle school(Jr. High), but I didn't care much for high school even though I knew I had to attend or else :o. These days I don't remember my high school years as fondly as I do my middle school years. On occasion though I do like to reminisce about high school and sometimes argue with my 16 year old self, "why didn't you do this, why couldn't you do that!"

;D Oh yeah, I remember your 1993 signature! Do you also look more fondly back on your middle school bands than your high school ones?

Written By: Howard on 07/13/16 at 2:42 pm

Looking back almost 25 years ago, I don't really care much for my high school years.

Written By: violet_shy on 07/13/16 at 2:57 pm

;D Oh yeah, I remember your 1993 signature! Do you also look more fondly back on your middle school bands than your high school ones?

I do! Especially during 8th grade. :)

Written By: mqg96 on 07/13/16 at 2:59 pm

It is very rare for someone to have more fond memories of their middle school years than their high school years! It was the complete opposite for me! Although, the late 2000's weren't too bad for everything, but my personal life and myself went through so much puberty and change throughout the time. 2009 & 2010 were already completely different worlds than 2007/early 2008!

Written By: violet_shy on 07/13/16 at 3:12 pm

It is very rare for someone to have more fond memories of their middle school years than their high school years! It was the complete opposite for me! Although, the late 2000's weren't too bad for everything, but my personal life and myself went through so much puberty and change throughout the time. 2009 & 2010 were already completely different worlds than 2007/early 2008!

Did you/will you go to your prom/high school festivities? Cause I didn't. According to me I was too awesome and fabulous to go :D. But the main reason was, I couldn't attend anything................... :-[

Written By: 80sfan on 07/13/16 at 3:28 pm

I was a teenager from late 2001 to late 2008. So basically, the 00's. Do I care about Middle school, or high school? Yes. Did I love those years? No.
I wasn't too much into the music scene during then. I was into some things that were 'popular', like Harry Potter, Britney Spears, and MySpace. I cared to a certain extent. I met a lot of cool people in high school. Most were nice. I absolutely hated Junior high, because everyone was so moody, basically, starting puberty.  ;)
But I did care about Junior high, because, there were still small hints, here, and there, of childhood.

I think my teenage years, and high school years, are important, but they aren't everything. I was just as obnoxious as your average 15 year old.  :D
Will I look back with rose tinted glasses? Probably not, but they did matter.

Written By: Howard on 07/13/16 at 3:40 pm

Did you/will you go to your prom/high school festivities? Cause I didn't. According to me I was too awesome and fabulous to go :D. But the main reason was, I couldn't attend anything................... :-[

I never attended my prom because I didn't have a mate at the time.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/13/16 at 3:48 pm

One thing I wanted to be when I was in school was older. I really hated not being able to live by my own rules. I hated having a curfew (not saying that I had many places to spent too many nights out late). I really was a good kid but my mother & step-father kept a short leash on me (even though there was no need to). Because of that, I rebelled. I left home as soon as I was able (at the age of 19 and never went back).

And I never did go to either one of my proms because no one asked me.  :\'( :\'( :\'(  I know, I could have gone stag but I would have felt worse being a wall flower where everyone could see me that at home where no one could.

Cat

Written By: meesa on 07/13/16 at 6:09 pm

When I was in high school my friends were almost all either in college or out working. Never did relate to people my own age. I did not relate to people my own age and honestly did not care anything about high school at all. Teachers were frustrated with me because I would test extremely high but barely put in any of the day to day work. They didn't understand that I already knew the work as it came easily to me; and just plain I didn't care. I was disruptive in class more often than not so I am sure they were happy on the days that I wasn't there.  ;D ;D As to pop culture at the time, sure; I enjoyed the films, the television, dressing like eighties teens did. But I spent a lot of time from age 16-18 drinking or hanging out at my friends apartments- so music is what I am most tied to of that mid to late eighties era.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/13/16 at 6:55 pm

Oh yeah! I participated in many activities throughout high school. In fact, I ran cross country all 4 years! I went to prom senior year and it was a blast! My senior year of high school was epic!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/13/16 at 7:01 pm

That's so true in a way. I identify with the bands that were popular when I was in Grades 5 to 7 (Avril Lavigne, Sum 41, Simple Plan, Blink-182, Green Day etc.) even though I was on the periphery of their target audience at best. Them being the very first bands I got into does actually make them a huge part of my life. In contrast, the bands that were popular when I was Grades 9 to 11 were very disposable. Once they went past their peak popularity, I never heard from them again and didn't care to follow up on them. It's just hard for me to care.

Same with the bands that were popular towards my childhood. I identify with them more because it just makes more sense to me, than the modern music we have nowadays. I mean, the latest single from Rihanna (after 2009) or Drake is just really bland to my tastes, in my opinion. Just to give out an example.

Written By: aja675 on 07/13/16 at 8:53 pm

I like my preteens better. When I became a teen, I turned vapid.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/13/16 at 9:54 pm

It's always been the same for me as well, at least on the first part. I have an intense nostalgia for music that was popular during 1997-99 that seems to only grow as I get older. Even just hearing a late '90s song like "Angel of Mine" or "I Knew I Loved You" can bring on a rush of nostalgia and instantly take me back to those simpler days of late childhood. It seems like alot people do tend to form a special attachment to music they liked at age 10 or 11, which is when most kids really start paying attention to pop culture.

The difference is that I do have alot of nostalgia for my teen years also, particularly my high school years of 2001-05. My college years in the late '00s still seem a bit too recent to start reminiscing about yet. I can totally understand if others didn't enjoy their teen years, though. I know one guy my age, for example, that had a fairly miserable high school experience, and thus doesn't look at the 2001-05 time period in nearly as positive a light as I do. It really just depends on the experience of each individual.

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/14/16 at 11:48 am

That's interesting. Did you specifically head back to that music because it would help you "relive" your teenage years? Or did you find out about later, which helped you create a fondness for the era from when you were a teen?

I became aware exactly in 2014. Just the era in general. 2003-2005. The Hip Hop and R&B from that period captured healthier atmosphere. I definitely head back to get as much away from today as possible.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/14/16 at 12:23 pm

I will say this though, while I DO care about my teen years and and while I DID enjoy high school A LOT better than middle school. 2010 is my favorite year of music so far as long as I've been alive or aware of music coming out on a regular basis. 2010 was the bridge between middle school and high school for me (8th & 9th grade). So just because the peak of my youth occurred in 2014 didn't mean 2014 was my favorite year of the decade pop culturally with everything, although, I still had a fun time in 2014 though, and 2014 along with 2012 & 2013 are my favorite years for movies of this decade so far. 2016 has been going well for movies so far, we haven't gotten through the whole year yet, but I still think 2013 & 2014 were slightly better in quality. When it comes to clothes and fashion, I liked the colorful logo brand T-shirts, collared shirts, socks, shoes, shorts, jeans, etc. from late 2008-2012. I wish that style would come back. Not taking anything away from the style from 2013-present and yes there are ups and downs about the current fashion, but I preferred the late 2008-2012 style honestly.

Written By: 2001 on 07/14/16 at 2:39 pm

Which ones?

I never attended my prom because I didn't have a mate at the time.

I didn't have a mate but my friends still convinced me to go. It was super fun, but very awkward during the slow dances. I asked one of the wallflowers to dance with me, but neither of us could really get into it ;D I didn't attend the after party, I was just too tired.

One thing I wanted to be when I was in school was older. I really hated not being able to live by my own rules. I hated having a curfew (not saying that I had many places to spent too many nights out late). I really was a good kid but my mother & step-father kept a short leash on me (even though there was no need to). Because of that, I rebelled. I left home as soon as I was able (at the age of 19 and never went back).

And I never did go to either one of my proms because no one asked me.  :\'( :\'( :\'(  I know, I could have gone stag but I would have felt worse being a wall flower where everyone could see me that at home where no one could.

Cat

Damn Cat, that's badass ;D Was it for university or you just moved out?
When I was in high school my friends were almost all either in college or out working. Never did relate to people my own age. I did not relate to people my own age and honestly did not care anything about high school at all. Teachers were frustrated with me because I would test extremely high but barely put in any of the day to day work. They didn't understand that I already knew the work as it came easily to me; and just plain I didn't care. I was disruptive in class more often than not so I am sure they were happy on the days that I wasn't there.  ;D ;D As to pop culture at the time, sure; I enjoyed the films, the television, dressing like eighties teens did. But I spent a lot of time from age 16-18 drinking or hanging out at my friends apartments- so music is what I am most tied to of that mid to late eighties era.

80s fashion looks super cheesy and embarrassing, which is why I can see myself having a lot of fun wearing it ;D

Oh yeah! I participated in many activities throughout high school. In fact, I ran cross country all 4 years! I went to prom senior year and it was a blast! My senior year of high school was epic!

I think my last year of high school is the only one I care about, but it wasn't enough to save my high school experience; I still detest thinking about my high school. ;D

Written By: Howard on 07/14/16 at 3:44 pm

What happened in 8th grade?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/14/16 at 9:04 pm

Not really....
Even 15 years from now, I'm not gonna really be nostalgic for that time. Maybe my 11th grade year, but that's it.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/14/16 at 11:13 pm

BTW Slowpoke. ::)  This should really be in the 2010s thread! ;)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/15/16 at 6:23 am

Not really....
Even 15 years from now, I'm not gonna really be nostalgic for that time. Maybe my 11th grade year, but that's it.

I don't even think I'll be nostalgic for my school years, even if it's 15 years from now. What I'll mostly remember from my high school years is being nostalgic on my childhood, along with posting on various forums. Even though I do like my teachers, that would possibly be the only thing that I'll like to remember from my high school years.

Written By: 2001 on 07/15/16 at 10:06 am

BTW Slowpoke. ::)  This should really be in the 2010s thread! ;)

Do you mean board? I was in high school 2006-2010, late 2000s. It should probably be in the More Than A Decade board but eh.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 07/15/16 at 11:28 am

My teen/high school years were pretty bleak to be honest. 2005-09

Written By: Howard on 07/15/16 at 3:43 pm

I think basically there were a few times which I liked my high school years, In 1989, I got an award for being on the Honor Roll and in gym class, I got an award for doing the most jumps with a jump rope, that's when I was physically fit.

Written By: 2001 on 07/15/16 at 9:48 pm

My teen/high school years were pretty bleak to be honest. 2005-09

Tell us more ;D

I think basically there were a few times which I liked my high school years, In 1989, I got an award for being on the Honor Roll and in gym class, I got an award for doing the most jumps with a jump rope, that's when I was physically fit.

What happened since then? ;D

It's always been the same for me as well, at least on the first part. I have an intense nostalgia for music that was popular during 1997-99 that seems to only grow as I get older. Even just hearing a late '90s song like "Angel of Mine" or "I Knew I Loved You" can bring on a rush of nostalgia and instantly take me back to those simpler days of late childhood. It seems like alot people do tend to form a special attachment to music they liked at age 10 or 11, which is when most kids really start paying attention to pop culture.

The difference is that I do have alot of nostalgia for my teen years also, particularly my high school years of 2001-05. My college years in the late '00s still seem a bit too recent to start reminiscing about yet. I can totally understand if others didn't enjoy their teen years, though. I know one guy my age, for example, that had a fairly miserable high school experience, and thus doesn't look at the 2001-05 time period in nearly as positive a light as I do. It really just depends on the experience of each individual.

Savage Garden to Creed... Interesting development of music taste :P

I like my preteens better. When I became a teen, I turned vapid.

Vapid?

Written By: 80sfan on 07/15/16 at 9:50 pm

I didn't go to high school, but I did go to school high.

Written By: 2001 on 07/15/16 at 9:56 pm

http://s.quickmeme.com/img/38/38d948a394be2809a7a9bcf34b6b8e0ddeed870cd5b373286d5f1e1b1f7019a1.jpg

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/15/16 at 9:59 pm

Do you mean board? I was in high school 2006-2010, late 2000s. It should probably be in the More Than A Decade board but eh.

Yeah I meant more than a decade! ::)  I was kinda tired when I wrote that..... :-[

Written By: 80sfan on 07/15/16 at 10:04 pm

http://s.quickmeme.com/img/38/38d948a394be2809a7a9bcf34b6b8e0ddeed870cd5b373286d5f1e1b1f7019a1.jpg

He looks.....uneducated.  :o

But not as uneducated as Bane.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/9SyMS-9VGuY/maxresdefault.jpg

Written By: aja675 on 07/16/16 at 12:15 am

Vapid?
I went from having intellectual interests to caring about shallow things.

Written By: 2001 on 07/16/16 at 1:22 am

He looks.....uneducated.  :o

But not as uneducated as Bane.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/9SyMS-9VGuY/maxresdefault.jpg

He's a genius!

Oh, I see. Yeah, a lot of teenagers seem to care about fleeting, in-the-moment things that don't matter in the long run.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/16/16 at 1:56 am

He's a genius!

Oh, I see. Yeah, a lot of teenagers seem to care about fleeting, in-the-moment things that don't matter in the long run.

Not as much as a genius as Daria.

http://media2.onsugar.com/files/2014/10/02/020/n/3019466/9f53968083113c74_Daria-Faulkner.xxxlarge.jpg

Written By: Slim95 on 07/16/16 at 2:08 am

I don't care about my late teens/high school years but I do miss my early teen middle school years. So I'm very nostalgic for 2008-2010. I won't ever care for my high school years because that was a pretty rough time in my life.

Written By: Howard on 07/16/16 at 7:07 am

Tell us more ;D

What happened since then? ;D

Savage Garden to Creed... Interesting development of music taste :P

Vapid?

I gained some weight.

Written By: Howard on 07/16/16 at 7:08 am

not once?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/16/16 at 8:19 am

Not as much as a genius as Daria.

http://media2.onsugar.com/files/2014/10/02/020/n/3019466/9f53968083113c74_Daria-Faulkner.xxxlarge.jpg

Eh. Daria just seems to be like a bookworm, who always gets straight-A's on everything at her school. She could be a genius, but nobody really known her actual IQ yet.

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/16/16 at 8:23 am

Out of the all the years I've ever lived through my teen years are the ones that I usually want to forget about. I had some great moments, but buddy oh boy was my personal life a mess. Felt like everything I did was wrong.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/16/16 at 12:49 pm

Eh. Daria just seems to be like a bookworm, who always gets straight-A's on everything at her school. She could be a genius, but nobody really known her actual IQ yet.

She could just copy off her friends.  8)

Written By: 80sfan on 07/16/16 at 12:50 pm

not once?

I went four time, for four years!!  :D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/16/16 at 12:51 pm

She doesn't really copy off her friends that much. She's really smart, but it's not like she'll copy off any of her friends. But with all due respect, Daria would rather have friends that are like her. Hence why Jane is her friend, because she the same intelligence and could understand Daria more.

Written By: Howard on 07/16/16 at 1:50 pm

If I dated her, she'd be smarter than me.

Written By: Howard on 07/16/16 at 1:50 pm

That would be cheating.

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/16/16 at 1:52 pm

Men, never date a smarter woman. Because in those moments where you two get in an argument she'll always end up winning.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/16/16 at 1:53 pm

Men, never date a smarter woman. Because in those moments where you two get in an argument she'll always end up winning.

I'll keep that in mind.  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 07/16/16 at 1:55 pm

That would be cheating.

I never copied anybody in school. But I did always catch people, who thought no one was looking. I never told though!  :-X

Written By: 2001 on 07/16/16 at 1:55 pm

Out of the all the years I've ever lived through my teen years are the ones that I usually want to forget about. I had some great moments, but buddy oh boy was my personal life a mess. Felt like everything I did was wrong.

Yay! You're back! :D

Written By: mqg96 on 07/16/16 at 1:56 pm

Or women with ENTJ personalities  :o :P

Written By: 2001 on 07/16/16 at 1:57 pm

The wife always win arguments anyway ;) ;D

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/16/16 at 1:57 pm

Yay! You're back! :D

How ya doin', Slowpoke?  8)

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/16/16 at 1:59 pm

True......  :\'( guess men just don't have the brains that the women do

Or women with ENTJ personalities  :o :P

Pretty much. Just don't even bother arguing as them ENTJ Women will always make you look like an idiot. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/16/16 at 2:05 pm

Damn Cat, that's badass ;D Was it for university or you just moved out?

I don't think that I clarified myself very well. I DID go back-just never moved back in. I joined the military-mainly to get out of the house.

What I didn't say in first post was school was ok. In fact, I did enjoy it for the most part. But, like I said, my issue was dealing with my mother. It took me many years to learn how to deal with her-and even then I still had issues. But with all of that, I do miss her very much.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Yup-you got that right!  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Howard on 07/16/16 at 2:28 pm

I dated one, the girl I dated had Asperger's and to her I sounded like an idiot. ::)

Written By: Howard on 07/16/16 at 2:29 pm

True......  :\'( guess men just don't have the brains that the women do

Pretty much. Just don't even bother arguing as them ENTJ Women will always make you look like an idiot.

nope, they don't.

Written By: aja675 on 07/17/16 at 12:32 am

Ironically, I got more immature and silly the closer I got to 18. I remember being 16 going on 17 and annoying the people on Anthroscape by using too many Mean Girls .gifs and unironically liking Austin Mahone.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 07/17/16 at 12:51 am

Tell us more ;D

I was just really introverted and spent way too much time indoors on the computer. i was also in the closet between the ages of 13 and 20 which really kind of kept me in a perpetual funk on some level. I wasn't into contemporary pop culture so i don't think I'll have any nostalgia to look forward to later in life.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/17/16 at 12:53 am

I was class clown in high school.  :P

Written By: nintieskid999 on 07/17/16 at 12:58 am

I was just really introverted and spent way too much time indoors on the computer. i was also in the closet between the ages of 13 and 20 which really kind of kept me in a perpetual funk on some level. I wasn't into contemporary pop culture so i don't think I'll have any nostalgia to look forward to later in life.

What about making the late 2010s your nostalgia?

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 07/17/16 at 1:09 am

What about making the late 2010s your nostalgia?

Possibly...we'll see what's in store. I just meant I wouldn't have any nostalgia for my high school years though aside from some memories of a few close friendships I've drifted apart from. I'll surely have some for other parts of my life  :)

Written By: violet_shy on 07/17/16 at 12:08 pm

I don't care about my late teens/high school years but I do miss my early teen middle school years. So I'm very nostalgic for 2008-2010. I won't ever care for my high school years because that was a pretty rough time in my life.

I am more fond of my middle school years also, especially 8th grade. I attended Middle school from 1991 to 1994. My favorite year being 1993, since that is the year I started 8th grade.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/17/16 at 12:38 pm

I am more fond of my middle school years also, especially 8th grade. I attended Middle school from 1991 to 1994. My favorite year being 1993, since that is the year I started 8th grade.

Even though I hated middle school a lot, 8th grade would definitely be the best year of it if I had to pick one, and even then the year wasn't perfect either, I had the most fun classes and people to chat with in 8th grade out of all my middle school years, and 8th grade (2009-2010) was a really good year pop culturally (especially for electropop/hip-hop music and mainstream TV shows). 8th grade was very difficult of course since there was a lot of work and required tests to get into high school, but by the time 8th grade came along people were more mature compared to the drama that occurred back in 6th & 7th grade (although still very immature compared to juniors & seniors in high school), and by 8th grade I was more street smart and aware of what certain words & phrases meant, unlike 6th grade when I came into a totally new world not knowing what anything meant out of elementary school.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/17/16 at 12:40 pm

I loved 2010, that being the year I finished 8th grade and started 9th grade, the bridge between middle school and high school was a great year for me, including the pop culture at the time! But overall I still enjoyed my high school years way more than middle school. (sorry I've said this too many times!)

Written By: Slim95 on 07/17/16 at 12:49 pm

Even though I hated middle school a lot, 8th grade would definitely be the best year of it if I had to pick one, and even then the year wasn't perfect either, I had the most fun classes and people to chat with in 8th grade out of all my middle school years, and 8th grade (2009-2010) was a really good year pop culturally (especially for electropop/hip-hop music and mainstream TV shows). 8th grade was very difficult of course since there was a lot of work and required tests to get into high school, but by the time 8th grade came along people were more mature compared to the drama that occurred back in 6th & 7th grade (although still very immature compared to juniors & seniors in high school), and by 8th grade I was more street smart and aware of what certain words & phrases meant, unlike 6th grade when I came into a totally new world not knowing what anything meant out of elementary school.

Grade 7 (2007-2008) was my favourite time.

Written By: violet_shy on 07/17/16 at 2:03 pm

I loved 2010, that being the year I finished 8th grade and started 9th grade, the bridge between middle school and high school was a great year for me, including the pop culture at the time! But overall I still enjoyed my high school years way more than middle school. (sorry I've said this too many times!)

Even though our pop cultures were different I know what you mean. I loved everything about 1993/94...the music, fashion and starting grade 8. During that time I attended a gifted art class, with not too many students. There were only about 20 of us including myself. I still remember, it was every Friday instead of art class we would go to RISD(Rhode Island School of Design). It's actually a college in our Downtown area.

During 6th and 7th grade in Middle school I was so shy and quiet. In the 90s kids would give themselves tag names which is kinda like a nickname only better. Mine was"Shai" because I was so timid. Then when I got to 8th grade I opened up and  when I got to High school I became such a brat, lol. Not exactly mean, but not a goody either. High school was hard!

Written By: Howard on 07/17/16 at 2:50 pm

I was class clown in high school.  :P

I was picked on most of the time in High School. :(

Written By: 2001 on 07/20/16 at 12:45 pm

:\'( I can relate. Semi-closeted and a mute through most of high school.

Grade 7 (2007-2008) was my favourite time.

Grade 6 (2003-2004) for me if we're restricting to middle school. I was still at a K-8 school so it didn't even feel like middle school ;D I hung out with the 7th/8th graders, but was still in the playground playing with the kids in the lower grades. Extended childhood :P

Written By: 80sfan on 07/20/16 at 12:48 pm

I'm sorry. I was to a small extent, but not really. That sucks, Howard.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/20/16 at 1:14 pm

I could relate when I was in summer camp four years ago.

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/20/16 at 1:26 pm

Grade 6 (2003-2004) for me if we're restricting to middle school. I was still at a K-8 school so it didn't even feel like middle school ;D I hung out with the 7th/8th graders, but was still in the playground playing with the kids in the lower grades. Extended childhood :P

I can relate to this. Its actually a cool concept.

Written By: Howard on 07/20/16 at 2:39 pm

I'm sorry. I was to a small extent, but not really. That sucks, Howard.

I always had the bullies who wanted to pick on me because I was vulnerable. :(

Written By: Howard on 07/20/16 at 2:40 pm

I could relate when I was in summer camp four years ago.

You had bullies?  ???

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/20/16 at 5:24 pm

You had bullies?  ???

Well, a few of them. But they took their sh*t as jokes. Especially when they did the Hitler salute dozens of times, to the point where I thought they were neo-Nazis. Not even the counselors gave a f*ck. They were somehow ignorant, and they just want the campers to have fun. I took them way too seriously, because it was around a time where I was trying to cope with my autism poorly. I tried to hang out with them, but they just wanted me to f*ck off. I fought with them a couple of times, especially in the pool. I remember one time I fought with one of them, the camp directors restrained me from attacking him. He said "F*ck you, Michael!" and then I replied with "F*CK YOU, CHARLES!", with middle fingers from both of my hands. It was one of the worst summers that I've ever had.

Before the summer started a year later, I exercised with my dad's treadmill to lose some weight. I thought they were going to f*ck with me even more. Turns out, the bullies were relocated to another division of my day camp on the first day. Although, I did see one of them in the entrance, I didn't socialize with him. I wasn't the only one who got bullied however. There were several children (whom I suppose were autistic as me) who hated the bullies. One of the kids stood up and said "F*ck you" to Charles. I know that he was somehow reliable to me, especially when I known him for eight years. He was about 9 and a half during the summer of 2012, where the incidents happened.

Remembering that summer is like remembering the 9/11 attacks. They were both tragic and changed people's lives. It was a living hell going through it, and everyone except for the autistic campers couldn't give a sh*t. It's actually sad, because I wish I could've took stuff as jokes more better. That could've just made me realize that I could laugh towards some dark humor, while respecting the group. However, my autism refused at the time and it chose to attack the bullies. If only I could've been more excited, then I wouldn't have to worry about them in the first place.

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 07/21/16 at 5:08 am

I am firmly of the belief that your teen years are your best years.

I miss being 16-20. And not just that but I miss the era of 2006-2010 as well. Everything/one who is "established" now was fresh back then.

I don't care about current music or fashion, the only reason I take an interest in music and fashion in the context of the 2000s is to bring back faint memories from back then. Even though I never participated in the fashion or took an interest in the pop music other than seeing it on TV or hearing it on the radio. My interests were always alternative/hardcore unless like bridged the gap, like Eminem for instance.

So no, I see the teenage years as a very special time indeed. I just wish I could have made more of them.

Written By: aja675 on 07/21/16 at 9:26 am

For some reason, I escaped the stupidity of being a kid, but not the stupidity of being a teenager.

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/21/16 at 9:43 am

Just was looking through the old year books and buddy oh boy I looked like a dork in my high school days. I was certainly a pretty goofy guy. I remember getting caught up with some pretty stupid things. Like that one time my cousin and I thought it would be a cool idea to ding dong ditch everyone in the entire neighborhood. It was fun for about 10 minutes....and then we got caught .........

I enjoyed my teen years, but I could care less about the high school moments. And the middle school moments were worse.

Check for new replies or respond here...